PDA

View Full Version : John Lopez (of 790's Monsters of the Midday) now writing for SI?

Texan JBZ
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I guess so. I was kind of shocked when I saw his name and face on the website. He was halfway decent for the Chron, though I really never liked his show. Anyway, he writes an article rehashing 2006 once again. It's an ok read. Nothing a true Texans fan doesn't already know. But hey, it's a pretty slow football day so:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/06/25/texans/index.html?eref=sihp

Honoring Earl 34
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Also there .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0906/nfl.2006.draft.revisited/content.1.html

El Tejano
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh no you don't John Lopez!!!! You forgot to mention how much YOU hated the pick and ridiculed the Texans. Even now, you never answered your own question. Were the Texans brilliant or lucky?? You don't answer it because deep down you know you were wrong and you can't admit that.

The Texans were brilliant and when I read this article I realized how smart they were for sticking to their guns. Not only did they get it right on Mario (Pro Bowl), they got it right on Demeco Ryans (Pro Bowl), Eric Winston (Starter), Daniel Owens (Pro Bowl). Even David Anderson contributes and the other OT we picked would've been a starter too until he had a career ending injury.

76Texan
06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh no you don't John Lopez!!!! You forgot to mention how much YOU hated the pick and ridiculed the Texans. Even now, you never answered your own question. Were the Texans brilliant or lucky?? You don't answer it because deep down you know you were wrong and you can't admit that.

The Texans were brilliant and when I read this article I realized how smart they were for sticking to their guns. Not only did they get it right on Mario (Pro Bowl), they got it right on Demeco Ryans (Pro Bowl), Eric Winston (Starter), Daniel Owens (Pro Bowl). Even David Anderson contributes and the other OT we picked would've been a starter too until he had a career ending injury.
Haha, at least he starts to ask the question.
The baby step before the first step to the AAA! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Texecutioner
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Why are so many of you guys still mad because of some of the Houston writers bashed the Mario pick? It's not like 200,000 other writers and the majority of fans around Houston didn't do the same thing either. I know that I did for sure.

It's over, that was 4 years ago and the Texans have gotten their vindication now because Mario is a bad ass. I think it's time to move on from the bitterness.

TimeKiller
06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
John Lopez is the equivalent of the guy at the bar who knows a lot about sports.

He's an alright guy but I wouldn't take his opinion super cereal unless I've had a few...

m5kwatts
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
did you mean the Mongoloids of the Midday? the only reason i listen to that show is to giggle at the idiocy uttered on its broadcast, kinda like the same way i watch around the horn and pti

GP
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
John Lopez contributes to this Sports Illustrated article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/06/25/texans/index.html).

Warning: Contains Graphic Content (Casserly, again, credited with Mario pick).

$100 to anybody who can find any other source, in this article, other than Casserly. Lopez used no other sources. As a rule of thumb, you acquire more than one source for a story...if you want to be taken seriously.

The article is littered with Casserly quotes and heaps of credit to the guy. I know he contributed his opinions in the process, but does anybody here really think that McNair and Kubiak were leaning on Casserly thaaaaat much? Furthermore, if everybody was unanimous in taking Williams...how is it that Casserly is always getting the credit from his media colleagues for being the one who makes that pick?

I guess I just can't believe that the sports media doesn't understand that he was on his way out; that he wasn't running the show (for all intensive purposes). He was retained through draft season. Serving out his time.

Make sure you aren't eating when you read the article. Here's some quotes:

Fans fired off nasty e-mails and calls to Texans owner Bob McNair, coach Gary Kubiak and Casserly. "I made the statement, 'if you're going to boo somebody, boo me,'" Casserly said. "I said, 'get all over me. Criticize me.' And they did. They listened."

Yeah, Charles. You really took it like a man. You're my hero.

Talk radio sizzled with name-calling. Casserly resigned two weeks after helping new coach Kubiak through his first draft. Local and national opinion-makers used words like "moronic" and "stupid" to describe the Texans' perceived draft blunder for the ages.

That quote was RIGHT AFTER the first quote (in the actual story). Does anybody else feel like this was set up in a way to make it look like Casserly resigned due to the surrounding pressure of having just selected Williams over Bush and Young? Like maybe Casserly had made too much noise about Williams and that Kubiak didn't want this renegade Bon Jovi on-a-steel-horse-I-ride type of GM on staff anymore? Am I wrong to assume that Casserly was on his way out anyway? So why can't the sports media ever own up to that?

Why don't they ever say something along the lines of "Casserly helped Kubiak through the first draft, and resigned as part of the deep cleaning that had to occur after a dismal 2-14 season that also involved the firing of Dom Capers and other staff..."

And here's the best Casserly quote from the story:

"I knew people weren't really watching what was happening when it came to Mario," Casserly said. "You always are happy and take pride when one of your picks works out. But in all honesty, I'm more happy for him because he was criticized so much and all he ever did was everything we asked."

GP
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I know all we needed was another Casserly-Mario thread...

But it's the off season. Once TC is in underway, we'll be through with this sort of stuff. At least for the most part. Maybe.

Just wanted to offer something we could grind our axes upon, to get out that anxiety that's building up. :)

CloakNNNdagger
06-26-2009, 03:15 PM
I've always found it curious that Casserly has never tried to bolster his stock with for credit for the other Texans picks in 2006, esp., Winston, Ryans, Daniels. Casserly was well on his way out BEFORE the draft. After most of his bone head moves (both picks and trades) in previous years, his voice was less the major one making decisions for that draft. His ultimate fate had already be determined his "sordid" past. The Texans allowed him to save face by "leaving" right after the draft. Had he not departed right after the draft, he would have probably been greeted shortly thereafter with a hot tar machine, torn feather pillows and a megawind fan. Take a bow, Casserly, not for Mario but for blessing us with your absence.

HoustonFrog
06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
What's funny is that other people...the General...and some others have said Casserly actually came to McNair and Kubes and pretty much recommended Bush. He was certain they were taking Bush. I've heard some variation of that story too. So who knows what Charlie thinks. I just thought he sucked.

dalemurphy
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
What's funny is that other people...the General...and some others have said Casserly actually came to McNair and Kubes and pretty much recommended Bush. He was certain they were taking Bush. I've heard some variation of that story too. So who knows what Charlie thinks. I just thought he sucked.

What's funnier is that the media and fans (who acted like a bunch of 13 year old kids throwing temper tantrums as if they were the smartest people in the room despite being quite ignorant on the subject) didn't learn their lesson and have/will continue to arrrogantly and ignorantly judge harshly others while never pointing their own critical eye on themselves.

Are you out there Richard Justice and 40% of the Houston fan base?

Hooston Texan
06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't really care how much credit Casserly tries to take for our 2006 haul. If he can parlay the success of Mario/DeMeco/Winston/Daniels into a GM gig somewhere else, that's good for us (and the 30 other teams in the league). Though I must say I love the shots he takes at VY.

Even if he was 100% responsible for all the 2006 choices and secretly changed McNair and Kubiak's draft-card choice from "Reggie Bush" to "Mario Williams" on his way to the draft podium, Casserly gave us ample reasons to make him an ex-GM. Allow me to list a few:

1. Drafting David Carr instead of Julius Peppers.

2. Picking a guy in the third round in 2002 (Charles Hill) who couldn't even make the practice squad. A third-round washout is rare for an established team, but for an expansion team, that's mind-boggling.

3. Wasting the next year's third-rounder on Dave Ragone (aka the ony QB worse than Carr).

4. Giving up a second-round pick in the supplemental draft for Tony Hollings, who was a four-game wonder at RB for Georgia Tech.

5. Giving a bounty of premium picks in rounds 2, 3 and 4 to Bud Adams so we could draft Jason Babin.

6. Trading a second and third for Philip Buchanon.

7. Missing the chance to draft a pro-bowl LT (Jammal Brown) to trade down, only to wind up with Travis Johnson instead. But this does get a partial save because we got Winston in the next draft with one of the picks.

8. Passing on the likes of Julius Peppers, Anquan Boldin (or Osi Umenyiora), Jared Allen, Aaron Kampmann, Brian Westbrook, Angelo Crowell and Justin Tuck for David Carr, Bennie Joppru, Glenn Earl, Ramon Walker, Charles Hill, Dave Ragone and Vernand Morency. Each of the guys listed first were taken within 15 picks of the bums we drafted instead.

9. Any number of disastrous free agent signings that sent us into salary cap jail for years.

So Charley, take your bow. By all means, if you can get a job screwing up another team as completely as you did the Texans, all of Houston can applaud you. I'll even pay the postage for any resumes you send to Indianapolis, Jacksonville or Nashville. If the last of those, I'll even pay for overnight delivery.

infantrycak
06-26-2009, 05:57 PM
How about this? The Texans have ONE player from each of the first four drafts still on the team.

CloakNNNdagger
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
"A good riddance of bad rubbish!" said that wrathful old lady . "Get along with you, or I'll have you carried out!"

DOMBEY AND SON-Charles Dickens 1848

GP
06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I've always found it curious that Casserly has never tried to bolster his stock with for credit for the other Texans picks in 2006, esp., Winston, Ryans, Daniels. Casserly was well on his way out BEFORE the draft. After most of his bone head moves (both picks and trades) in previous years, his voice was less the major one making decisions for that draft. His ultimate fate had already be determined his "sordid" past. The Texans allowed him to save face by "leaving" right after the draft. Had he not departed right after the draft, he would have probably been greeted shortly thereafter with a hot tar machine, torn feather pillows and a megawind fan. Take a bow, Casserly, not for Mario but for blessing us with your absence.

It just amazes me that the guy leaves right after the draft, and people don't see that for what it was: He was OUT already, before the draft! They just retained the guy through the draft in order to protect themselves with all the strategy and scouting info he had. Simple protectionism by the Texans.

I don't think he influenced people in the FO.

1. He saw that that McNair was going to have Kubiak try and reform Carr, so that made it obvious that the Texans wouldn't take a QB--not even Vince Young--with the first pick. Thus, he could pelt the guy with rocks knowing that McNair and Kubiak would never consider the guy anyway. So there's no pride, for Casserly, in saying how much he "knew" VY would be a bust. He played the odds.

2. Kubiak saw that Bush was a dancer and a prancer, not a one-cut and through the seam type of running back. Kubiak needs a certain type of back to run his preferred system, and Bush wasn't it. In addition, it was no super top secret that Bush was going to demand zillions. Throw in the JOKE of defensive line talent we had, as well as switching to a 4-3 and needing a true 4-3 DE to get in the faces of Manning, Young, and whatever fake QB the Jags like to trot out there, and Casserly once again played the odds by downplaying Bush.

3. The simple pick, in terms of money and biggest need, was Mario Williams. So Casserly spends 20 hours of every day, all year leading up to the draft, feverishly trying to convince the Texans front office, the owner, and the new head coach that this Mario Williams guy IS THE REAL DEAL! Listen to me! Over HERE! Yoo-hoo! I'm making wild gestures and howling like a coyote! Mario Williams is better! Mario is THE guy! You gotta' believe me, Bob. Bob. BOB! Gary? Don't tune me out, you two. Stay focused. FOCUS! Don't flirt with Vince. Don't woo Bush. M-a-r-i-o is the man.

Casserly uses the Mario pick to erase what had to be, at a minimum, a truly erratic and mindless wandering for the previous four seasons before 2006. Hooston Texan did a good job of pointing that out. Mindless. OK, OK. They "hit" on Andre Johnson, and Dunta has been adequate. Congrats. :cool:

GP
06-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I wonder of Lopez and Justice hang out at TGIFridays on the weekends, and have a beer...toasting Casserly, and bringing up the good old days?

That was a pretty big fluff article, IMO. He quotes Casserly alone.

Pretty weak, even if it wasn't a true "journalism" story. Even a fluff piece needs to have others' comments injected into the article. This was like Casserly had written the story and handed it to Lopez. :specnatz:

infantrycak
06-27-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't think he influenced people in the FO.

I take one very salient story from that draft and extend it. Kubiak came out after the draft and said Casserly was a huge OD fan and convinced them to take OD. That tells me Casserly was still working and having an opinion. It tells me Casserly was subservient to Kubiak who was going to make the final decision. It is notable the story came out during the time of Mario was a bad pick and Kubiak never said well CC convinced us of that. From a leadership perspective Kubiak did exactly the right thing - didn't lay off the controversial pick and gave credit for a good pick. Leadership points to Kubiak ran that draft.

GP
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I take one very salient story from that draft and extend it. Kubiak came out after the draft and said Casserly was a huge OD fan and convinced them to take OD. That tells me Casserly was still working and having an opinion. It tells me Casserly was subservient to Kubiak who was going to make the final decision. It is notable the story came out during the time of Mario was a bad pick and Kubiak never said well CC convinced us of that. From a leadership perspective Kubiak did exactly the right thing - didn't lay off the controversial pick and gave credit for a good pick. Leadership points to Kubiak ran that draft.

The quotes I read (of Casserly) and the way the media handle the topic of the Texans' 2006 draft, make it look like Charley Casserly was an active member of that draft. The talking heads on those various NFL shows come right out and say that Casserly made the pick; Casserly convinced them to take Mario; etc. The mass effect of the content of the stories and the praising of Casserly's astute NFL brain by his TV colleagues make it look like Kubiak was subservient to Casserly. As if Kubiak was sucking his thumb in a corner, in the fetal position, with Casserly helping the poor guy get through the draft as best he could.

And that's my major gripe. It's as if Gary Kubiak had never been part of a draft before, or that he needed the help of the brilliant (and soon-to-be-absent) Casserly. As if Kubiak stumbled upon the Texans HC job by accident and had zero experience in the process. I'd be willing to bet that all those years at Denver, working alongside the Broncos' GM--which was Shanahan, the HC--made Kubiak aware of what type of players he needs. I am sure Casserly gave opinions, but you have to wonder how much an outgoing GM's voice is going to be trusted and respected at the end of the day.

There seems to be a minimizing of Kubiak's role in the draft, and an inflation of Casserly, among these stories that pop up about how "lucky" the Texans were that they selected Mario. I know there was a team of guys, with Casserly "helping," but that's not the picture I see when the stories pop up about the 2006 draft. Casserly is somehow right up front, getting the star treatment for it, when there's a butt-load of atrocious picks and free agency signings he left in his wake. Where's the investigative reporting on THAT? There isn't. It's 2006, and that's it. That's his legacy. LOL.

That Kubiak and Smith and others around him (Shanny Jr.) aren't out there trying to equalize these Casserly stories has made Kubiak and his staff look better in the long run. It shows that Kubiak and his staff are not getting bogged down in the trivial stuff; that they are focused on the job at hand--Not revisionist history.

My anger is that nobody is out there being responsible and attempting to get the other side of the story. Of course, maybe they've tried and Kubiak and his staff are having none of it? Which means there's only one voice to be heard: Casserly's.

I don't think we're going to get away from this Mario-Vince-Bush story for a long, long time. It will be dredged up by the media for at least the next 5-10 years. Maybe longer. It'll be brought up during future drafts when there's another trio of top draftees fighting for the No. 1 spot. And so we'll have to hear about Casserly's phenomenal NFL brain. Again and again and again....