PDA

View Full Version : NFLN: Player to Start A Franchise With

The Pencil Neck
06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
According to Warren Sapp... Mario.

That was a surprise to me. Of all the guys in the NFL, the guy that Sapp would choose to start his franchise is Mario Williams. He said you could see that Mario was getting it.

Maddict5
06-24-2009, 06:39 PM
heres the link to the piece

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d810fb310/Players-roundtable-Franchise-players_topheadline

sapp likes our texans obviously. showing aj & now mario plenty of love

TexansFanatic
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Interesting question.

Not to turn this into yet another Charley Casserly bashing thread but.....

How stupid was it to start a brand new franchise with a quarterback?

In this sense, Sapp is dead right. And with Sapp's strategy in mind, who should the Texans have taken back in 2002 with the first overall pick?

JULIUS PEPPERS.

Maddict5
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
lol just watched the rest...

jamie dukes selects................... MIKE VICK! how does they justify employing a dope like that in times like these.

Brando
06-24-2009, 07:59 PM

jamie dukes selects................... MIKE VICK! how does they justify employing a dope like that in times like these.

Are you serious? :gun:

Thorn
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I kinda quit watching it at that point. LOL

False Start
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM

That's just too damn funny. :spit:

There always has to be the guy that says something just to raise eyebrows and be the "yeah, I said it" guy, Jaimie Dukes seems to be that guy.

The Houston Marios... sounds good to me. :cool:

mexican_texan
06-24-2009, 09:15 PM
While I'm confused as to why this thread is advertising Minneapolis foreclosed homes, I have a suggestrion.

The opposing QB pocket shall now be known as....Super Mario World.

m5kwatts
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM

jamie dukes is clinically stupid keep that in mind.... after mario's rookie year he called him the second coming of courtney brown called him a bust and completely dumped all over him

euro-Texan
06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Interesting question.

In this sense, Sapp is dead right. And with Sapp's strategy in mind, who should the Texans have taken back in 2002 with the first overall pick?

JULIUS PEPPERS.

The way I remember it, Carr was drafted after Tony Beselli was wearing his Texans jersey. I think had they known he would never play a down, they would have never used the 1st draft pick on Carr.

Goldensilence
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Interesting question.

JULIUS PEPPERS.

Unless that guy is Peyton Manning. Qb isn't a bad idea but better do your homework on the guy and Casserly def didn't do his homework on David Carr.

Honestly much as I really like Mario and his place on the team....I'd take Peyton 10 out of 10 times.

However, it is good to hear positive stuff about the Texans especially Mario Williams. Really far cry from the 2006 draft and his rookie season. Can't help be proud of the young man and how he's handled the it all.

TexansFanatic
06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
The way I remember it, Carr was drafted after Tony Beselli was wearing his Texans jersey. I think had they known he would never play a down, they would have never used the 1st draft pick on Carr.

I think your post just underscores my point that CC was an *****.

How did the Texans not know Boselli would never play another down?

I think it's pretty clear the Jags knew....

Norg
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
no one knew that was going to happen to carr he was a sure fire safe pick

and young all star QB and was projected the top in the QB class that year

me tho i would of started with the D line then O line then maybe get a RB first then a vet QB on the market

yes i wouldnt mean a win now type of thing but at least 5 years down the road u can safe u have a tough team

infantrycak
06-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I think your post just underscores my point that CC was an *****.

How did the Texans not know Boselli would never play another down?

I think it's pretty clear the Jags knew....

Maybe because the NFL had independently said Boselli was fit while saying Roaf wasn't. Maybe it was a conspiracy of idiots.

Maybe because the shoulder that ultimately kept Boselli from playing was the one that was just "cleaned out" instead of the shoulder that was injured during the season. Not sure the Jags were looking to get their doc sued for malpractice.

TexansFanatic
06-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I have to say, I was excited about Carr in the beginning. He looked like Hollywood's idea of the perfect quarterback and had just had a monster season at Fresno State.

BUT, I think it's pretty clear now you don't start a franchise with a quarterback. And I think this should have been obvious to the boys running our team in '02.

DiehardChris
06-24-2009, 11:19 PM
The thing that I think is so great about Mario, and the reason Sapp probably picked him - is that we Texans fans watch all the games, and we watch Mario very closely - and we can all tell that as great is Mario is right now - you can absolutely see that he can get better - even MUCH better. Pretty scary... for the other guys.

infantrycak
06-24-2009, 11:32 PM
BUT, I think it's pretty clear now you don't start a franchise with a quarterback. And I think this should have been obvious to the boys running our team in '02.

Not even sure you can say that for Capers' expansion teams as a rule. He tried the same thing twice. Once it flopped on the field and once it worked out (with a post playoff appearance off the field flop, now recovered) - we just didn't get the lucky side of that equation.

Who knows what would have happened with Couch if he hadn't broken his leg at the end of a play-off bound regular season and suffered other injuries to boot.

gtexan02
06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to go back now and say they were stupid for taking David Carr. After we won that Dallas game, I doubt too many fans were down on the decision. If it was so easy to predict which QBs would succeed and which would fail, the NFL would be a lot different. We messed up on a draft pick. It happens

Drew_Smoke
06-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to go back now and say they were stupid for taking David Carr. After we won that Dallas game, I doubt too many fans were down on the decision. If it was so easy to predict which QBs would succeed and which would fail, the NFL would be a lot different. We messed up on a draft pick. It happens

I am no genius but was screaming at anyone who would listen that the Texans should have taken Peppers. I thought Carr would do well, but you don't start with a QB. You get a vet to babysit.

I saw Sapp pick Mario. But that Mike Vick crap...lol...it was quickly back to regular TV.

HOU-TEX
06-25-2009, 09:20 AM
The thing that I think is so great about Mario, and the reason Sapp probably picked him - is that we Texans fans watch all the games, and we watch Mario very closely - and we can all tell that as great is Mario is right now - you can absolutely see that he can get better - even MUCH better. Pretty scary... for the other guys.

I agree! There's a part of me that would like to see him take a few Taekwondo classes to sharpen his hand and feet skills. A little Taekwondo and another "move" or two added to his repertoire would likely be devastating to anything in his path.

I need to remember to mention this to him if I see him out wheelin again. I always tend to forget crap that I want to run by him.

chicagotexan2
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Interesting question.

JULIUS PEPPERS.

You mean it's doesn't make sense to draft a QB when you have an ultra conservative, defensive minded HC? You are handicapped by your logic.

Texan4Ever
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
If I had to choose one player to start my franchise around it would be Jake Long, OT from the Miami Dolphins and a Michigan great. Rather then see my QB get whacked around by opposing defenders, I would select an OT to anchor my offensive line.

I'm suprised Duke's didn't go with a offensive linemen :thinking:

El Tejano
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I saw this part this morning and it was hilarious when Dukes said Vick. I think even NFL Network knew how crazy this was because they kept showing the emotional reactions that Deion, Warren and Marshall had. At one point when Dukes was trying to justify his answer they showed Deion in the background just looking at Dukes as if he was disgusted and trying to hold it in so it wouldn't be so obvious for the camera. Then they kept showing Warren and Marshall's facial expressions.

JCTexan
06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm Surprised nobody mentioned how bad Deon's answer was. He picked Mike Tomlin as the one player he would start a franchise with. I wonder what position coach Tomlin plays?

76Texan
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw this part this morning and it was hilarious when Dukes said Vick. I think even NFL Network knew how crazy this was because they kept showing the emotional reactions that Deion, Warren and Marshall had. At one point when Dukes was trying to justify his answer they showed Deion in the background just looking at Dukes as if he was disgusted and trying to hold it in so it wouldn't be so obvious for the camera. Then they kept showing Warren and Marshall's facial expressions.
LOL LOL
Dukes picked Vick.
Warren & Marshall baffled.
Deion disgusted!
For everything else there's MasterCard.
For joker of the day, there's Big Duke!
LOL, LOL. Priceless!

Goldensilence
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree! There's a part of me that would like to see him take a few Taekwondo classes to sharpen his hand and feet skills. A little Taekwondo and another "move" or two added to his repertoire would likely be devastating to anything in his path.

I need to remember to mention this to him if I see him out wheelin again. I always tend to forget crap that I want to run by him.

That or some boxing classes.

76Texan
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
That or some boxing classes.

How about Mario does Sumo?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/pictures/galleries/newsid_2706000/2706731.stm

Tsukiotoshi: winner turns suddenly and forces down the opponent at an angle.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38758000/gif/_38758175_move02.gif

Playoff bound
06-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Check out this story from SI pretty much continuing the Texans' summer of adulation: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/06/25/texans/index.html?eref=T1