PDA

View Full Version : ReCap of Kubiaks speech yesterday to the Touchdown Club

nunusguy
06-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was the guest speaker at the Touchdown Club of Houston's "Texans Day" luncheon. As usual, Kubiak didn't disappoint the crowd of approximately 100 luncheon guests.
He talked about how Andre Johnson is one of the best football players he's ever been around and he described how watching Steve Slaton last year was one of the best performances he's ever seen by a rookie and a highlight of his coaching career.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Kubiak-delivers-at-Touchdown-Club-event
Alan Burge from the Houston Examiner is our best local NFL journalist and he hits the high points here of Kubiaks remarks to the group.

76Texan
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Rep! Thanks!

Some pretty good info there.

eriadoc
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
From the article:

He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.

That would have been nice. I'm happy with Caldwell, but man, I really wanted to see Coffee in a Texans uni.

Texans_Chick
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Here's video of half the speech. I would have had more video but my camera went south.
Gary Kubiak invites you to run through a brick wall (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/06/gary_kubiak_invites_you_to_run_1.html)

I think this is one of those times that if you are inclined to like Kubiak, you will like him more watching this. And if you are inclined not to like him, it won't do much for you.

AJ did a really good write up for the Houston Examiner. Pretty much spot on. :texflag:

New_Texans
06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Here's video of half the speech. I would have had more video but my camera went south.
Gary Kubiak invites you to run through a brick wall (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/06/gary_kubiak_invites_you_to_run_1.html)

I think this is one of those times that if you are inclined to like Kubiak, you will like him more watching this. And if you are inclined not to like him, it won't do much for you.

AJ did a really good write up for the Houston Examiner. Pretty much spot on. :texflag:

this is gonna be really really really random and probably really really late for and probably in the wrong thread, but you were on I want to be a millionaire. :whip:

thunderkyss
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
I liked this part:
He talked about being 12-4 at Reliant over the past two seasons and that only two other NFL teams have better home records during that period. He said Reliant is becoming a tough place to play.

That's one of the things I've been looking at, when I evaluate this team. As a team gets better, I've noticed that winning at home, is one of the first things to turn around.

I remember a few years ago, I'd travel to Houston on Sunday, and hope that we would win. Now, when I go to the games...... I expect to win, simply because we're at home.

The next thing we have to do, is win the close games, then win the games we're supposed to, and not play down to the level of our opponents (i.e. the Raiders).

He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.

He answered a few questions with that tid-bit.

Lucky
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM

I don't think there are many who don't like him. As aj said in his article, I want him to succeed. Really, who doesn't? The question is, can succeed here? If he can win here, that would be great. If not, I'm willing to roll the dice on another coach. Not because I don't like him. But, because my support goes first and foremost to the Houston Texans. And no coach, player, front office member is greater than the team.

mussop
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
From the article:

That would have been nice. I'm happy with Caldwell, but man, I really wanted to see Coffee in a Texans uni.

Me too!!!!

Marcus
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't think there are many who don't like him. As aj said in his article, I want him to succeed. Really, who doesn't? The question is, can succeed here? If he can win here, that would be great. If not, I'm willing to roll the dice on another coach. Not because I don't like him. But, because my support goes first and foremost to the Houston Texans. And no coach, player, front office member is greater than the team.

Well, if everyone indeed likes him, you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to dispense with the "ring clicking the podium", "typical coachspeak", and any other cheap ridicule of his personal mannerisms.

I understand the need to vent frustrations, but comments like that make me give birth.

(And that reminds me . . . what coach doesn't speak coachspeak? I haven't figured that one out yet)

HOU-TEX
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, if everyone indeed likes him, you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to dispense with the "ring clicking the podium", "typical coachspeak", and any other cheap ridicule of his personal mannerisms.

I understand the need to vent frustrations, but comments like that make me give birth.

(And that reminds me . . . what coach doesn't speak coachspeak? I haven't figured that one out yet)

Ha, no doubt. I'd like to see what it would be like around here if Kubiak was as bad as Belichick at the podium every day.

Texecutioner
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Ha, no doubt. I'd like to see what it would be like around here if Kubiak was as bad as Belichick at the podium every day.

I don't think they'd be able to notice after being hypnotized by the bling of his 3 rings up there.

OzzO
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't know Johnny Mac became secret service. (Isn't that him in the background of the pics with the shades on?)

He bristled a bit at the notion that this year's schedule is somewhat 'easier' than last years. He talked about having to play well every week (citing the Oakland loss last year just a week after the win over a 13-1 Titans team) otherwise you will get beat.

Amen, brutha.

GP
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Haven't watched it. Have read the excerpts that you all have been posting.

I like what thunderkyss had to say.

ON THE ISSUE OF NOT GETTING GLEN COFFEE IN THE 3rd:
I don't feel sorry for Kubiak having Coffee picked up just a few picks before our 3rd round choice. He should have chosen him in the 2nd. So since he didn't, he needs to stop with the "Well, we would have picked him up if he had been there." He WAS there, just a round earlier than you wanted to pick him. There's a helluva' lot that happens from your pick in Round 2 to your pick in Round 3...and it's borderline poo-poo'ish to think you had a shot at Coffee in the 3rd. Isn't it? It's almost as if he's actually showing some signs of regret for not picking him up in the 2nd...but, you're hoping Barwin pans out. Because that's the one pick that I think HAS to succeed more than any other. You left a big RB on the board to grab a hybrid guy. Tick-tock....

GP
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I didn't know Johnny Mac became secret service. (Isn't that him in the background of the pics with the shades on?)

Secret Service? More like Memphis Mafia. He looks like he's trying to score a few cheeseburgers for Elvis or something.

Elvis: "Johnnie Mac! Get over there and fetch me a triple-cheeseburger or three. And a bucket of sweet potato fries. And a lady. No, that one over there. Yeah, the one with the triple-cheeseburger in her hand."

Johnnie Mac: Anything else, King?

Elvis: Yeah, report something we DIDN'T know. Thank ya', thank ya' verry much.

barrett
06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Haven't watched it. Have read the excerpts that you all have been posting.

I like what thunderkyss had to say.

ON THE ISSUE OF NOT GETTING GLEN COFFEE IN THE 3rd:
I don't feel sorry for Kubiak having Coffee picked up just a few picks before our 3rd round choice. He should have chosen him in the 2nd. So since he didn't, he needs to stop with the "Well, we would have picked him up if he had been there." He WAS there, just a round earlier than you wanted to pick him. There's a helluva' lot that happens from your pick in Round 2 to your pick in Round 3...and it's borderline poo-poo'ish to think you had a shot at Coffee in the 3rd. Isn't it? It's almost as if he's actually showing some signs of regret for not picking him up in the 2nd...but, you're hoping Barwin pans out. Because that's the one pick that I think HAS to succeed more than any other. You left a big RB on the board to grab a hybrid guy. Tick-tock....

What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical. Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G. In this system the running back has proven to be a position that can be filled with a more specific player that has skills that don't apply to as many of the other 31 teams. I would argue that having slaton, barwin and caldwell will be more valuable to this team than having slaton, coffee and .... Mario + Barwin > Slaton.+ Coffee

GP
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical. Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G. In this system the running back has proven to be a position that can be filled with a more specific player that has skills that don't apply to as many of the other 31 teams. I would argue that having slaton, barwin and caldwell will be more valuable to this team than having slaton, coffee and .... Mario + Barwin > Slaton.+ Coffee

Well, I seem to recall that this is two times that Kubiak or Smith have mentioned how they had planned to grab Coffee in the 3rd. To me, that says there miiiight be some regret there.

I felt that we could have used our 2nd rounder on a RB who probably isn't going to be there in the 3rd. They gambled he would (obviously) and they lost. It's not THAT big of a deal, unless Barwin fails to be the player that our staff projected. But even then, there's now way to predict which guy will work out the best. That's part of the love I have for this game: Nailing predictions and gloating about them, and failing on predictions and being laughed at for it. Ying and yang.

I'm nowhere near being GM or HC. I just thought Glen Coffee in the 2nd seemed liked good help to Slaton, as Cushing will be good help to DeMeco. Then again, I'm the guy who wanted Mendenhall. Oops. So I got THAT going for me, which is nice.

eriadoc
06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical.

All this is BS. No one knows what that value is. This is the same conversation that's had every year. Mario was the #1 rated defensive player for most teams, but he clearly wasn't worth a #1 pick overall. His value wasn't that good. Bush was great value at #2 overall, right?

I don't buy the "value" argument at all, because every single year it gets turned on its ear.

Texans_Chick
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM

I think every fan puts the Texans first.

Perhaps because I see a lot of ugliness on the blog, I do know that there are some people who don't like him. Some VY people are still bitter. So if they watched that video, they would likely nitpick it.

barrett
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Value is not BS. Value involves alot of factors. One of them is $. value in the sense that we're talking about I think has more to do with trying to assess risk rather than predicting that this guy is great and that guy is less great. I think risking taking Barwin in the 2nd is less risky than taking Coffee in the second. Clearly, the FO thought that too. Taking Mario at 1 was less risky than taking Bush. Barwin has all of the things the Texans want out of a DE at that position in the draft. More so than what Coffee had to offer the Texans. The Bush, VY debate is a perfect example of assessing value. Those players were less ideal of a fit for this team.

Marcus
06-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm another one who doesn't understand this "we should have taken Coffee in the 2nd round" stuff.

How come none of the other 31 teams took Coffee in the 2nd round? Maybe because they all had him graded as a 3rd, ya think?

If they had taken Coffee in the 2nd, y'all'd be pissin and moanin that they reached.

Tick-tock. . :rolleyes:

Marcus
06-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Perhaps because I see a lot of ugliness on the blog, I do know that there are some people who don't like him. Some VY people are still bitter. So if they watched that video, they would likely nitpick it.

Blogs and message boards aren't mutually exclusive, TC. There is probably an equal amount here that doesn't like him as much as your blog.

And "nitpick" is the perfect word.

NitroGSXR
06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm not as high on the Connor Barwin rumblings around here. That being said...

I think we got great value for Barwin and where he was rated. I don't know why we're talking about Glen Coffee here. Sure I would have loved to have gotten Glen Coffee but we didn't. It doesn't matter. He was selected by the 49ers. Glen Coffee is not a Houston Texan right now. Barwin was graded out as a high talent. Texans have a hole at the position Barwin plays... hmm I guess you take the better talent for the position available. I bet they're grading by the RBs are a dime a dozen logic (something that I've heard many times but don't always agree with that thinking).

Barwin has not gotten a single 'reach' statement by draft analysts, fans, and whatnot that I'm widely aware of. I still don't know enough about him. I think his numbers look great but I'm concerned because he's coming from a rather small and less talented conference. Just a reasonable concern that runs around in my head. All that keeps running around in my head are these letters... Ihopeconnorbarwinbecomesthenextrandywhite/dickbutkus/anotoniogates/longsnappingSTer. You know? The type of illogical and unimportant to life thoughts that some of us rabid fans have. Well... I have them at least. I ooze Steel Blue, Liberty White and Battle Red.

I really hope we ended up getting great value for Connor Barwin. He was someone I didn't know much about prior to the Texans' selection of him. I'm ok with Kubiak and Smith taking him. I think they know a little more than me but Glen Coffee isn't a Texan. Saying that they were considering Coffee with the next pick means nothing more than that they were strongly leaning on going with him there. That's it. I didn't hear Kubiak saying shoulda, woulda, gonna... eh. He was just answering questions.

thunderkyss
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G.

I think we fans believe Center is an "immense need" more than the coaches do. Kubiak straight up said if Coffee was there, he would have taken him instead, meaning a second RB was more of a need than Center. But we took what we could get.

Now, GP, I totally do not agree with your "we should have picked Coffee in the second". Had Coffee gone shortly after our second round pick, then I would think Kubiak & Smith would be second guessing themselves now. But since he was only a few picks away from our third, I don't think they're having regrets.

Not only that, but Shonn Green & LeSean McCoy were selected in the 27 picks between Conor Barwin & Glenn Coffee. Taking Cofee in the second would have been seen as a huge reach.

eriadoc
06-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm another one who doesn't understand this "we should have taken Coffee in the 2nd round" stuff.

How come none of the other 31 teams took Coffee in the 2nd round? Maybe because they all had him graded as a 3rd, ya think?

If they had taken Coffee in the 2nd, y'all'd be pissin and moanin that they reached.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken Coffee in the 2nd round. I'm just saying I don't buy the "value" argument. If Coffee turns out to be awesome, then he would have been worththe 2nd round pick. If he turns out to be a bust, he won't have been worth the 3rd round pick. So whatever.

Most importantly, though, I like the Texans' draft. I like Caldwell a lot. I like Barwin. That doesn't mean I can't engage in a little "what if" dreaming now and again. And I predict more Texans fans will be thinking the same thing after this season, but not because of Caldwell or Barwin.

Polo
06-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have taken Coffee in the 2nd round. I'm just saying I don't buy the "value" argument. If Coffee turns out to be awesome, then he would have been worththe 2nd round pick. If he turns out to be a bust, he won't have been worth the 3rd round pick. So whatever.

Most importantly, though, I like the Texans' draft. I like Caldwell a lot. I like Barwin. That doesn't mean I can't engage in a little "what if" dreaming now and again. And I predict more Texans fans will be thinking the same thing after this season, but not because of Caldwell or Barwin.

I agree and disagree....

I think value can be difficult to analyze...

Like if you look at Tom Brady...Had he been selected #1 overall I think that would have still been a huge reach because of where other teams ranked him...

Same thing with Slaton, Owen Daniels...

Although they have played up to higher draft spots, if you "reach" on a player you are missing out on another player that you may have rated higher...

I know we're talking about the difference of one round, but if they had Barwin rated higher and they felt he would help the team more then I'm not upset with them passing on coffee...

I really don't think they even considered taking coffee in the second and really were just more so hoping he'd fall to them in the third...

All in all, teams are gonna miss on players they want, find players in later rounds they thought weren't gonna be there and draft a few surprises...

GP
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Some people didn't even have Tom Brady on their board, and they look like a bunch of dumbies, don't they?

How the crap did Steve Slaton last to the 3rd? He's no slouch, and a team would have been smart to pick him up in the 2nd round. That team might have been the talk of the NFL world, not Houston.

Coffee would have been a reach in the 1st, but the 2nd round is just right to pick up a RB who has his skills. Does that immediately translate into NFL success for him? Maybe. And so it's the same answer with Barwin: Maybe he works out as a true higher-round talent.

The two guys might produce the same level of production at their respective spots. It can happen. I just prefer that we'd selected Coffee to help take the pressure off Slaton. Johnson and Foster might do that, but I'm skeptical with UDFAs.

barrett
06-20-2009, 03:34 AM
I think we fans believe Center is an "immense need" more than the coaches do. Kubiak straight up said if Coffee was there, he would have taken him instead, meaning a second RB was more of a need than Center. But we took what we could get.

I think it's important to mention that I'm viewing Caldwell as a BACKUP C/G. That position was an immense need for the Texans. Surely backup RB was as big if not bigger since a backup RB is guaranteed to see some play. our C and G's didn't miss a single snap last year. The odds of that happening again are very slim. You're right though, you expect your #2 RB to play, whereas you expect your backup C/G to be prepared to play multiple positions at any moment but theoretically he doesn't see the field. The Texans had very thin depth at both positions.

All in all, teams are gonna miss on players they want, find players in later rounds they thought weren't gonna be there and draft a few surprises...
Casey is a great example of that scenario. The thing that I like about how the Texans run their draft is it appears to be very logical. These are the guys we like, in this order. If A is gone, take B. It doesn't give room for reaching. I think rounds 3 through 5 are great examples of that for the Texans this year.

steelbtexan
06-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I love our draft and think Barwin is going to be a stud.

I'm glad that Smithiak drafted a C in this draft. This draft was one of the best ever at the Center position and we got one of the best. I only had Mack and Wood rated higher and Caldwell has potential to be better than both of them.

The only thing that I would have done differently was I would have taken Andre Brown with one of the 4th rd picks but Smithiak had Hill and Quin rated higher, so be it. Hopefully Foster and J.Johnson work out and the (BACKUP) RB position will be a moot point.

JMHO