PDA

View Full Version : Running back depth chart

valleytexfan
06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
With Slaton entrenched as the starter, who would you like to see as the backups/other backs? Moats? Foster? Brown? J. Johnson? Just curious to see what y'all think

Mari-OWNED!
06-18-2009, 02:40 AM
1. Slaton
2a. Moats
2b. Foster
PS: J. Johnson

I'd probably cut injury prone Chris Brown just because he reminds me too much of Ahman Green. Good back when healthy, but never healthy...

beerlover
06-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Moats will back-up Slayton.

Casey will back-up Leach.

Arian will surprise & make active roster.

Chris Brown released.

Jeremiah Johnson stashed on practice squad.

:texflag:

ObsiWan
06-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Moats/Brown will start the season as the #2a/2b RBs

Foster is likely "ahead" right now since Johnson just got here. He'll go to the practice squad ...assuming we can sneak him thru waivers

Casey as the Leach B/U sounds right to me too

Brown probably won't make it to the bye week but Foster will be ready by then.

Note:
assessments subject to change following training camp/preseason

Mike Kerns
06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
1 Slaton
2 Brown
3 J. Johnson
4 Foster

I never was a big Moats fan. I dont really want Chris Brown, but I know they want to save face on the signing and they will give him the shot if he is healthy for real this time.

Im also about Jeremiah Johnsons biggest fan on this board, so I am probably biased.

TimeKiller
06-18-2009, 08:26 AM
For me:

1 Slaton
2 Moats
3 Foster/Johnson whoeva wins the spot, the other to PS

Chris Brown's career is toast.

Thorn
06-18-2009, 09:02 AM
For me:

1 Slaton
2 Moats
3 Foster/Johnson whoeva wins the spot, the other to PS

Chris Brown's career is toast.

Slaton will do even better this year and make the pro bowl. :)

And yeah, Chris Brown is gone. As to the rest of 'em, it just depends on what happens in camp and pre-season, so I'm not making any bets there. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see one of those rookies be the primary backup to Slaton. Moats have never really impressed me, but that could change in August.

drewmar74
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Chris Brown released.

^^^^^
This.

Texan4Ever
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
This is who I'd like to keep...

1.) Steve Slaton

2.) Arian Foster

3.) J. Johnson - 3rd Down Back

PS.) Moats

infantrycak
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Y'all can wait anxiously for the AP report of Chris Brown's new injury but until it comes he is #2 on the depth chart.

nunusguy
06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Kubiak-delivers-at-Touchdown-Club-event
Speaking of running backs, here's a little gem of information I don't ever recall being disclosed by the Kubiak regime ? An admission of "who they would have taken instead of" had this happened or not happened in the most recent Draft. I think its especially interesting to see that they were prepared
to make an equivalent investment to Slaton in his "backup".
BTW, I'd love to see the Texans full Board on the 2009 Draft class ?

TimeKiller
06-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Moats have never really impressed me, but that could change in August.
I thought he played well but I seem to remember it being garbage time yards so...whatev...Still has to outplay the youngins to keep his spot. I thought he was very quick with the ball though.

Y'all can wait anxiously for the AP report of Chris Brown's new injury but until it comes he is #2 on the depth chart.

You can put CB #2 on your fake roster list but until he outrushes Matt Turk as a Houston Texan I'll keep him completely off of mine.

badboy
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Chris Brown released.

Exactly, unless JJones is a wash out and JJohnson can return. Then maybe Brown makes final cut if healthy. It is hard to ignore Brown's stats.

m5kwatts
06-18-2009, 01:19 PM
1 Slaton (obvious)

2 C Brown (until he inevitably gets hurt)

3 A Foster (eventually the #2; will get more carries as season goes)

4 J Johnson (too good to sneak onto PS; 3rd down guy)

Cut--Moats and Dawson

I think we carry 4 backs even if Brown makes it through camp healthy and is ready week 1, he's a ticking time bomb for injury.

I think Boomer Grigsby is gonna win the back up FB job and we'll just have to carry 4 TE's w/ Casey

HOU-TEX
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Slaton

The last 2-3 standing after the final preseason game.

badboy
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I thought he played well but I seem to remember it being garbage time yards so...whatev...Still has to outplay the youngins to keep his spot. I thought he was very quick with the ball though.

You can put CB #2 on your fake roster list but until he outrushes Matt Turk as a Houston Texan I'll keep him completely off of mine.I don't think it's Cak's roster but the team depth chart. I agree that Chris Brown should be listed as #2 back until TC.

Vinny
06-18-2009, 01:43 PM
He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Kubiak-delivers-at-Touchdown-Club-event
Speaking of running backs, here's a little gem of information I don't ever recall being disclosed by the Kubiak regime ? An admission of "who they would have taken instead of" had this happened or not happened in the most recent Draft. I think its especially interesting to see that they were prepared
to make an equivalent investment to Slaton in his "backup".
BTW, I'd love to see the Texans full Board on the 2009 Draft class ? man, I was high on coffee....all they got me was the decaf FA :foottap:

Watching lots of Bama has made me a bit of a Glen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZWmeaRmL4) Coffee (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glen-coffee?id=79549) fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjdSkjj2Rc). He runs with an attitude.And coffee slides off the board.yeah, damn them! perhaps his Center deserved all the credit? :pirate:

badboy
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
man, I was high on coffee....all they got me was the decaf FA :foottap:Vinny, you are going to be so thrilled when Kubes say's "Coffee who?" plus we have a real strong Olineman in Caldwell. I know I make sarcastic comments about not drafting a back but this is going to all work out fine. Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wron...:smiliedance:

TimeKiller
06-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't think it's Cak's roster but the team depth chart. I agree that Chris Brown should be listed as #2 back until TC.

I thought we were all just posting our own thoughts.

My thought is Matt Turk has outrushed Chris Brown as a Houston Texan, therefore, Matt Turk will be my #2 long before any injury reports come out. What a crazy asshole I am right? I'd like to see 10 measly yards out of a guy before I hand him a big role in the offense, what unbelievable standards I am asking to be upheld.

infantrycak
06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
I thought we were all just posting our own thoughts.

My thought is Matt Turk has outrushed Chris Brown as a Houston Texan, therefore, Matt Turk will be my #2 long before any injury reports come out. What a crazy asshole I am right? I'd like to see 10 measly yards out of a guy before I hand him a big role in the offense, what unbelievable standards I am asking to be upheld.

Did anyone say you couldn't have an opinion or even address you. My post didn't quote you and started with a group "y'all." Now since you felt compelled to do your fake roster bit I will point out your whining or standards, unbelievable or not, is irrelevant. The Texans have repeatedly expressed Brown is their dude unless he gets hurt. That isn't an I like Brown statement or even an agreement that is the right decision - just an observation like the original comment.

steelbtexan
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
1. Slaton
2. Brown
3. Moats
4. Foster

PS J.Johnson

TexansFanatic
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM
1 Slaton (obvious)

2 C Brown (until he inevitably gets hurt)

3 A Foster (eventually the #2; will get more carries as season goes)

4 J Johnson (too good to sneak onto PS; 3rd down guy)

Cut--Moats and Dawson

I'm down with this. And Brown will get hurt before the first game of the season. In fact, I still don't understand why he's still on the roster. But I'll be the first to admit I've been wrong before...

Thorn
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm down with this. And Brown will get hurt before the first game of the season. In fact, I still don't understand why he's still on the roster. But I'll be the first to admit I've been wrong before...

Well, IF Brown is healthy and back to form, he's an obvious #2 because of his experience and the fact that when he's healthy he's a damn good runner. But I still don't think he'll be on the team for long. His history is of injuries, and why would that would change as he's getting older?

SteveSlaton20
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
1. Steve
2. Jeremiah Johnson
3a. Adrian Foster
3b. Ryan Moats

TexansFanatic
06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, IF Brown is healthy and back to form, he's an obvious #2 because of his experience and the fact that when he's healthy he's a damn good runner. But I still don't think he'll be on the team for long. His history is of injuries, and why would that would change as he's getting older?

Right. And wasn't the most recent injury like a serious back injury? Like a ruptured disk or something really ugly like that?

TexMexMom
06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I wanted to clear up some of the misconception about Arian. I keep reading and hearing how a knee surgery after his junior year kept him from performing. This is simply not true.

Arian had a torn meniscus repair on his left knee after his freshman year. Minor surgery. He also had a shoulder repaired that same year. He's had not one problem with the knee or shoulder since. His sophomore year was hampered somewhat by a high ankle sprain that lasted longer than it should've because he kept rushing it. After his junior year, they repaired the meniscus in his right knee...another minor surgery. It had no bearing on his senior year at all. He received a deep thigh bruise that he couldn't play on the week before the Wyoming game. This hit was so brutal that three weeks later, when I saw it, the inside of his thigh was still black and blue literally from his groin to his knee. It was ugly.

At UT in 2008, there were significant problems with the new coaching staff and the new system they were trying to run. It was complicated and difficult to teach, especially to the OL, and they never got acclimated the entire season. As the season wore on, most of the players were trying still to make it work but a myriad of problems that I don't think anyone saw coming totally destroyed what they were trying to do. It was a long and difficult season and everyone was strapped for carries, production, etc. Arian was returning from a 1000+ yd season, Lucas Taylor, the WR, was returning from a 1000+ yd season, the OL had allowed only four sacks the entire season in '07. And then it all fell apart. Arian started the season rushing for an average of 7.1 ypc. By the fourth game, his carries were cut in half. Against Georgia, he got the ball THREE times the whole game. Lucas Taylor finished with 332 receiving yards, nearly a third of the previous year. The OL gave up 25 sacks. It was ugly.

This had more to do with the dive in production, not any injuries. Arian's played through injuries all his career. Both torn meniscus injuries happened at the beginning of the season, but he played all the way through it both times. The shoulder kept falling out of place so we wore the brace all season as well. The other one was troublesome too but they were able to restrengthen the tendons and muscles around that joint to the point where he has no issues with it now. That credit belongs to the UT trainers who did wonders with that issue.

Just to set the record straight.

The Pencil Neck
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much for this. This is the sort of inside stuff we fans need to hear about.

I'm really psyched about your son being a Texan. :texflag:

Tailgate
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
When should we expect Denver to drop a RB or two? If that plays out like alot of people think it will.... I think Moats, C. Brown, Foster, Johnson, and possibly a Denver pick up will give us plenty of competition for the #2 RB spot this year.

nunusguy
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks so much TexMexMom, your remarks are appreciated. And welcome aboard !

The Pencil Neck
06-19-2009, 01:08 PM
When should we expect Denver to drop a RB or two? If that plays out like alot of people think it will.... I think Moats, C. Brown, Foster, Johnson, and possibly a Denver pick up will give us plenty of competition for the #2 RB spot this year.

They may drop one or two before training camp but I don't expect them to start getting rid of them until training camp is in full swing.

So don't hold your breath.

spurstexanstros
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
As I said on draft day this is going to be a problem for the Texans. I voiced my displeasure at the second and third round picks for this reason...lack of depth at running back. Without the running game its gonna be a long season. We have been around here for a while and have seen what Kubiak's offense looks like without a running game ( ie Ron Dayne and a one yd cloud of dust)

I still dont understand why the freaking heck we used our early draft picks to address positions we didnt need. ( I am still at a loss for the two TEs)

If Slaton gets tired or, heaven forbid something worse happens...are you gonna be glad we drafted another DE a center and two tight ends?

Heck they way some dudes talk about him freaking Connor Barwin can easily get us 1000 yds..but that is for another thread.

Here is my rb depth chart:

1. Steve Slaton
2. Kubiak praying that Ron Dayne walks through the door.

badboy
06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I too wanted a power back drafted. Brown has everything but can't seem to stay on field. With any rookie we have to look at stats and potential, like the word or not. Jenning in the 4th would make me feel whole lot better. But we did not get him. Foster has everything especially potentail. let's wait and see.

TimeKiller
06-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Did anyone say you couldn't have an opinion or even address you.
Is that a question? I wasn't addressing you with that post, that was for who I quoted who did in fact address me directly.

My post didn't quote you and started with a group "y'all."
Well, I think Brown's career is over because he can't stay healthy, so I guess that would make me part of "y'all" right?

Now since you felt compelled to do your fake roster bit I will point out your whining or standards, unbelievable or not, is irrelevant.
We are all giving who we think should be listed right? Seeing as how I don't set the actual rosters my roster is fake. The whole purpose of this thread is to put who you think it will be. And by the way, my standard? Playing 1 f'ing game? Ahman Green thinks this guy is done. Acting as if health plays no part in a roster is way out in left field.

The Texans have repeatedly expressed Brown is their dude unless he gets hurt. That isn't an I like Brown statement or even an agreement that is the right decision - just an observation like the original comment.
No kidding? The guy they gave a bunch of money to and is another in a growing list of bad players signed in free agency is their guy when it couldn't possibly matter less? Shocking.

Insideop
06-19-2009, 04:09 PM
My guess is, we'll carry 3 RB this season:
-Slaton
-Brown (if he can make it through TC)
-Moats (because he has experience with us)

Foster and Johnson will be shelved on the PS to hone their skills. I also think Johnson may go on IR to repair his shoulder sometime this season if it looks like he won't be needed. My thinking is, that sometime during the season, Brown will likely get hurt and then likely be IRed again or cut. Then Foster can take over for Brown. If I were a betting man, I don't think Brown makes 1/3 of the season. We'll see.

beerlover
06-20-2009, 02:28 AM
As I said on draft day this is going to be a problem for the Texans. I voiced my displeasure at the second and third round picks for this reason...lack of depth at running back. Without the running game its gonna be a long season. We have been around here for a while and have seen what Kubiak's offense looks like without a running game ( ie Ron Dayne and a one yd cloud of dust)

I still dont understand why the freaking heck we used our early draft picks to address positions we didnt need. ( I am still at a loss for the two TEs)

If Slaton gets tired or, heaven forbid something worse happens...are you gonna be glad we drafted another DE a center and two tight ends?

Heck they way some dudes talk about him freaking Connor Barwin can easily get us 1000 yds..but that is for another thread.

1. Steve Slaton

Kubiak stated they would have drafted Glen Coffee in the 3rd but he was scooped up three picks before the Texans by the 49ers. that would have been a huge mistake IMO cause not only is Caldwell going to be more valueable & help solidify the OL who without the RB is nothing, they picked up two quality RB's who fill different roles undrafted who have equal skills to compliment Steve.

Barwin is the wildcard out of this draft, its risky, bold but the potential reward was too great for them to pass up. love both the TE picks & I'm sure you will too all in good time.

ObsiWan
06-20-2009, 04:01 AM

1. Steve Slaton

And as *I* said on draft day, this draft class sucked. go back and review the overall draft. I think only 4-5 RBs were drafted on the first day. Coffee was the ONLY RB drafted in rd 3; once he was gone there was no one worthy of a 3rd rd pick. I ain't sorry that we got Caldwell as a 3rd rd consolation prize.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I was a bit worried too ...until I saw that we got Foster and Johnson for tryout money. If either one of them make the team (or even the PS) I think we did quite nicely, thank you.

And I'll go out on this skinny limb and predict that we'll get a good half season out of Brown. That's enough time for Foster or Johnson to pick up enough of our offense to step up to the main 53 when Brown finally does his annual gimp out.

ObsiWan
06-20-2009, 04:17 AM

1. Steve Slaton

And as *I* said on draft day, this draft class sucked where RBs were concerned. I invite you to go back and review the overall draft. I think only 4-5 RBs were drafted on the first day. Coffee was the ONLY RB drafted in rd 3; once he was gone there was no one worthy of a 3rd rd pick.

I, for one, ain't sorry that we got Caldwell as a 3rd rd consolation prize. I ask you guys who follow the mocks and whatnot to tell us which of the leftover RBs (no revisionist history please - Wells, Coffee, Moreno, Brown, & McCoy are all gone) would you have picked instead of grabbing Caldwell (who represents a serious improvement in O-line depth) in the third round??

But in the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I was a bit worried too ...until I saw that we got Foster and Johnson for tryout money. If either one of them make the team (or even the PS) I think we did quite nicely, thank you.

thunderkyss
06-20-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't understand why Chris Brown is still on the team. I appreciate the talent & production that he showed 3 years ago, but that was three years ago. He hasn't really played football the last two years.

To me, this is one of the areas that Kubiak has got to fix. He waits, and waits, and waits..... on a player that eats up a roster spot. & this year, they're talking about carrying three QBs, three RBs...... so where are these extra spots going to come from.

Would a healthy Chris Brown help this team?

Sure he would, but so would a healthy Arian Foster. IMHO this is the guy who matches up with what Brown brings.

We did fine in '08 with Slaton & Moats, it works. As soon as Brown was healthy, I would've cut him. I know it sounds mean, but the guy hasn't played football in 2 years, how much better can he be than a rookie that's never played? The speed of the game, the little nuances of an offense, the freak'n smell of a defense, and what it's like to get hit..... those are the things that a rookie has to adjust to, and it's no different for Chris Brown. Why would you make him #2 on your depth chart, instead of putting a rookie #3 on that chart?

Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of the Chris Brown signing, even knowing that he had a history in Tennessee. But after two years, he's proven that we wasted our money and time, and he's just not capable of playing in the NFL. It sucks to lose your job because you got hurt...... but sometimes life is like that.

If I were Kubiak/Smith, Brown would be gone, Slaton, Moats, Foster would be the depth chart. Johnson would be slotted for the PS, and I'd have at least two other backs in training camp trying to get Fosters spot, or the PS spot.

Heck, I'd call Wali Lundy back before I put Brown on the active roster.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Chris Brown signed a 2-year $3.6 million contract with an $800,000 signing bonus. His cap hit this year is $1.4 million.

steelbtexan
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Chris Brown signed a 2-year $3.6 million contract with an $800,000 signing bonus. His cap hit this year is $1.4 million.

This seems like a great reason to give him a chance to earn a spot on the team.

If Brown gets hurt again I hope Kubes doesn't waste a roster spot waiting on Brown to get healthy.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2009, 10:38 AM

If Brown gets hurt again I hope Kubes doesn't waste a roster spot waiting on Brown to get healthy.

Exactly what I believe the Texans are thinking.

painekiller
06-20-2009, 11:25 AM

To add to this, you can not release a player on IR if he refuses an injury settlement, which is what Brown did. He refused to be cut from the IR.

awtysst
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM

1. Steve Slaton
2. Kubiak praying that Ron Dayne walks through the dvolved eroor.

While we had a good offense we did not score very many tds. So, what Kubes did was he got players that will help us in that area.

Our o line has been steadily improving but we still had a major hole at Center. Look back over Slaton's runs and tell me how many of them involved Myers getting thrown back into him. Caldwell is a strong, tough, smart center. He will be able to hold the point of attack and push forward. This will mean that those Steve Slaton loss of 2 yarrds or getting back to the line of scrimmage become a +2 or +3 yards. This may not sound like much but postive yardage=better opportunity for getting the first down.

Now, you mentioned we got 2 TEs, but look at what they do. One TE is a blocking machine. He will help us in the running and passing game by opening up holds and keeping Schaub up right. To be a playoff team we need Schaub in for all 16 games. Hill will be a great asset here. Now, Casey is a versatile playmaker. He can line up as a FB, RB, TE, Wild cat QB, etc. He will be able to open up holes or maybe even play as that goal line big back.

The other issue you must ask is who could you have taken?
The next two RBs came off in the fourth: Andre Brown and Gartrell Johnson. Then Frank Summers and Javon RInger in the 5th. I can tell you that the UDFAs we got Arian Foster and Jerimiah Johnson are just as good as either of these guys.

Good teams take great players and find room. Bad teams reach on need players and get burned. What we used was the right strategy and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with our players.

Also, remember, we are using the old Denver system. A system in which an effective o line was built which enabled numerous late round/ undrafted rbs to succeed.

SteveSlaton20
06-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Ramonce Taylor got cut, maybe Kubes will give him a chance?

gary
06-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Ramonce Taylor got cut, maybe Kubes will give him a chance?Who is he?

ObsiWan
06-20-2009, 02:17 PM

I'd bet he won't. If Brown gets hurt again, he's out.

TexansFanatic
06-20-2009, 02:53 PM
To add to this, you can not release a player on IR if he refuses an injury settlement, which is what Brown did. He refused to be cut from the IR.

Ah, that explains why the Texans kept him. Thanks, I was really puzzled by that.

CloakNNNdagger
06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Who is he?

Seemingly "flash in the pan" UT RB (and return "specialist) compadre of Sausage Boy got booted at the end of his junior year for a weed arrest and jailed just before the '06 NFL season. Short term, very short team (1 game) Arena ball as an RB, then within the past month was picked up by the CFL and just released before the CFL season...........

................just the type of player we need.:shades:

Addition: Just out of curiousity, looked up his weed arrest.............more than 5 pounds along with a nice stash of ammunition along with it.........

thunderkyss
06-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Also, remember, we are using the old Denver system. A system in which an effective o line was built which enabled numerous late round/ undrafted rbs to succeed.

I think we should also remember that Denver system also used late round/undrafted talent on the OL as well.

Mike Kerns
06-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Here is the article I wrote over at Battle Red Blog in this issue that is stirring up a lot of debate:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/6/20/918003/the-case-for-jeremiah-johnson

Just my opinion, so take it easy on me now...:texflag:

TexansFanatic
06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Here is the article I wrote over at Battle Red Blog in this issue that is stirring up a lot of debate:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/6/20/918003/the-case-for-jeremiah-johnson

You'll get no argument from me. That guy's video is freaking impressive. I'll be sort of surprised if he doesn't make the team and contribute.

P.S. I liked the Slaton pick from day one.

gary
06-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Seemingly "flash in the pan" UT RB (and return "specialist) compadre of Sausage Boy got booted at the end of his junior year for a weed arrest and jailed just before the '06 NFL season. Short term, very short team (1 game) Arena ball as an RB, then within the past month was picked up by the CFL and just released before the CFL season...........

Addition: Just out of curiousity, looked up his weed arrest.............more than 5 pounds along with a nice stash of ammunition along with it.........Don't need him I'd rather hope that Foster turns into that second back.

threetoedpete
06-22-2009, 01:58 AM
1 Slaton
2 Brown
3 J. Johnson
4 Foster

I never was a big Moats fan. I dont really want Chris Brown, but I know they want to save face on the signing and they will give him the shot if he is healthy for real this time.

Im also about Jeremiah Johnsons biggest fan on this board, so I am probably biased.

You gotta to know somebody over on Kirby loves this guy. He's had more chances than Bill Clinton in a locked clothes closet with Monica.

threetoedpete
06-22-2009, 02:13 AM

http://www.
battleredblog.com/2009/6/20/918003/the-case-for-jeremiah-johnson (http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/6/20/918003/the-case-for-jeremiah-johnson)

Well, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on television:

Anytime I read a story about a guy popping in his own dislocated shoulder...I don't question his toughness. Or whether or not he is a team first guy. But you do have to wonder just how chronic the shoulder is don't you ? This isn't the pac ten. And if we know about the shoulder.....you know every maniac we meet on defense this year will know about the shoulder also. And everyone one of them will take a shot at it if the get a "free one". You can take that one to the bank. Secondly the last guy who had a "shoulder" was Jacoby Jones when Hunter Smith flung him, legally, out of bounds during a punt return. There are some on the board who believe that shoulder of J.J.'s is still messed up...in his own mind. If there ever was a guy to stick on the I.R. the last cut it would be Jerimaha. Give him a year to heal the shoulder properly. It's not going to get better until he rests and rehabilitates the darn thing.

Mike Kerns
06-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Anytime I read a story about a guy popping in his own dislocated shoulder...I don't question his toughness. Or whether or not he is a team first guy. But you do have to wonder just how chronic the shoulder is don't you ? This isn't the pac ten. And if we know about the shoulder.....you know every maniac we meet on defense this year will know about the shoulder also. And everyone one of them will take a shot at it if the get a "free one". You can take that one to the bank. Secondly the last guy who had a "shoulder" was Jacoby Jones when Hunter Smith flung him, legally, out of bounds during a punt return. There are some on the board who believe that shoulder of J.J.'s is still messed up...in his own mind. If there ever was a guy to stick on the I.R. the last cut it would be Jerimaha. Give him a year to heal the shoulder properly. It's not going to get better until he rests and rehabilitates the darn thing.

Well, of course, after I wrote that, the Chronicle is reporting that he is planning to wear an arm brace and will eventually need surgery on it. Now I just hope they dont cut him...

76Texan
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM

I don't think the Texans will have any problem putting him on PS at all.
While I like him, Jeremiah may not even make the PS, for the reasons 3TP mentioned, including the "rumor" about a certain guy on Kirby.
At any rate, there will be a whole bunch of good RBs (meaning, who can do well in our scheme) next year as well.

Here's an old thread about JJ.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61147

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM

Well, of course, after I wrote that, the Chronicle is reporting that he is planning to wear an arm brace and will eventually need surgery on it. Now I just hope they dont cut him...

Recurrence rates in excess of 90% have been reported in military cadets younger than 24 years of age who were managed by nonoperative methods. In that population, recurrent instability following arthroscopic anterior shoulder stabilization was noted in only 15% of patients

There have been several studies on the expected outcomes following shoulder dislocations, mostly athletes. As a brief summary, over a 2-year period following 1st-time dislocation, you can expect an approximately 60% redislocation rate (usually within 1 year) without repair and an approximate 15% and 5% redislocation rate (usually near the 2 year point) for arthroscopic and open procedures, respectively. Each redislocation without repair increases the rate of recurrence.

BTW, long-term repair success rates have maintained low recurrence. But what is interesting is that 5 unrepaired dislocations appears to be a magic number for a high risk for surgical failure.

76Texan
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Recurrence rates in excess of 90% have been reported in military cadets younger than 24 years of age who were managed by nonoperative methods. In that population, recurrent instability following arthroscopic anterior shoulder stabilization was noted in only 15% of patients

There have been several studies on the expected outcomes following shoulder dislocations, mostly athletes. As a brief summary, over a 2-year period following 1st-time dislocation, you can expect an approximately 60% redislocation rate (usually within 1 year) without repair and an approximate 15% and 5% redislocation rate (usually near the 2 year point) for arthroscopic and open procedures, respectively. Each redislocation without repair increases the rate of recurrence.

BTW, long-term repair success rates have maintained low recurrence. But what is interesting is that 5 unrepaired dislocations appears to be a magic number for a high risk for surgical failure.
So the best course of action for the Texans and Jeremiah is to have the shoulder repaired, I would assume???

HOU-TEX
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
So the best course of action for the Texans and Jeremiah is to have the shoulder repaired, I would assume???

He should've had it repaired in the offseason. It obviously wouldn't have hurt his draft status.

I made the mistake of not having mine repaired after the first dislocation in High School due to wanting to come back before the season ended. It came out again during the following offseason training program. After the 2nd time it got to the point where I'd wake up in the morning feeling it laying partially out of socket. Instead of having a tiny scar from a minor operation, I now have a scar that ranges from the start of my armpit to the top of my shoulder. Not only did they have to re-secure and re-tighten ligaments, they ended up finding bone fragments from the socket being worn down. There were more of these fragments that had to later be removed by a 2nd minor procedure.

By the time I got to SFA all was good, but it would've been wise for me to have gotten the work done right after the season of the 1st dislocation. It would've likely not ended up infested with arthritis like it is now.

My .02

76Texan
06-22-2009, 12:16 PM
He should've had it repaired in the offseason. It obviously wouldn't have hurt his draft status.

I made the mistake of not having mine repaired after the first dislocation in High School due to wanting to come back before the season ended. It came out again during the following offseason training program. After the 2nd time it got to the point where I'd wake up in the morning feeling it laying partially out of socket. Instead of having a tiny scar from a minor operation, I now have a scar that ranges from the start of my armpit to the top of my shoulder. Not only did they have to re-secure and re-tighten ligaments, they ended up finding bone fragments from the socket being worn down. There were more of these fragments that had to later be removed by a 2nd minor procedure.

By the time I got to SFA all was good, but it would've been wise for me to have gotten the work done right after the season of the 1st dislocation. It would've likely not ended up infested with arthritis like it is now.

My .02It's a dilema then! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM

My .02

Unfortunately, you prove my point. Your course, subsequent intraoperative findings, and subsequent recovery and lingering problems are the typical and predictable.

badboy
06-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Addition: Just out of curiousity, looked up his weed arrest.............more than 5 pounds along with a nice stash of ammunition along with it.........The bullets help hold the leaf down in a breeze.

Mike Kerns
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Not to toot my own horn here, but my article on Battle Red Blog got linked to on ESPN:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-10-98/Reading-the-coverage--Why-Jags-feel-hopeful.html

I even got Texans Talk some free pub in there as well. Ill take any national attention we Texans fans can get. :texflag:

Maddict5
06-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I remember most of the Texans Talk message board complaining when Houston drafted Steve Slaton out of West Virginia with a 3rd round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Most of this was because they were still pissed that we had passed up on the opportunity to take Illinois standout Rashard Mendenhall with our first round selection. But I had a good feeling about Steve Slaton.

ammm.... no.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49782

Mike Kerns
06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
ammm.... no.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49782

Way to call me out. :foottap:

LOL, I just remember some people (I guess saying "Most" wasnt entriely accurate), maybe in the draft thread, were still pouting about Mendehall.

thunderkyss
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Not to toot my own horn here, but my article on Battle Red Blog got linked to on ESPN:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-10-98/Reading-the-coverage--Why-Jags-feel-hopeful.html

I even got Texans Talk some free pub in there as well. Ill take any national attention we Texans fans can get. :texflag:

Nice blog...

But you're right, with Chris Brown & Ryan Moats on the team, the deck is stacked against JJ, and if he's got what you say he's got, he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. Especially if we show case him in the preseason.

Mike Kerns
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice blog...

But you're right, with Chris Brown & Ryan Moats on the team, the deck is stacked against JJ, and if he's got what you say he's got, he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. Especially if we show case him in the preseason.

When I wrote that, it was before I heard about him needing to wear an arm brace during the preseason. Given that may be John Mclaine exaggerating the severity (he wouldnt never do that, right?) of the situation. We will have to wait and see. Thanks for reading!

beerlover
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
found this quote prior to the draft from NFL Draft Scout 04/15/09 - Perfect fit: Andre Brown, RB, Texans: Houston might need to use its second-round pick in order to get Brown, but his strength and speed seems to be the perfect yin to Steve Slaton's yang. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange

turns out he was taken 7 picks later after the Texans chose TE Anthony Hill by the Giants, to replace Ward with the 129th selection. Well he just agreed to contract terms with the Giants 06/27/09 - RB Andre Brown, a fourth-round pick, has agreed to a four-year deal worth as much as $2.2 million, according to the New York Daily News. ProFootballTalk.com reported Brown will receive a signing bonus around $443,000 and base salaries of $310,000 in 2009, $395,000 in 2010, $480,000 in 2011 and $565,000 in 2012.

If I didnt really like Hill & understand the Texans need to address an elite pass blocking TE I would say the Texans should have choosen Andre. :texflag:

nunusguy
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
If I didnt really like Hill & understand the Texans need to address an elite pass blocking TE I would say the Texans should have choosen Andre. :texflag:
What I'm still puzzled about and think is an obvious mistake in judgement is taking a second TE, Rice's Casey, with their 5th round pick ?
Its generally held that the deeper a team gets into the Draft, the later the rounds are, the more a team is supposed to draft on the basis of need and we know that TE was one of the least need positions the Texans had by the time the 5th round rolled around. Maybe they thought that Caey was the best player on the Board when the Texans 5th round pick came up, but the BPA concept is usually reserved for the first or maybe second round, not a round as late as the 5th ? And its not like the Texans are the Pats or the Steelers or the Giants or somebody with some of the best talent in the league, they have outstanding needs they still should fill.

beerlover
06-29-2009, 11:15 AM
What I'm still puzzled about and think is an obvious mistake in judgement is taking a second TE, Rice's Casey, with their 5th round pick ?
Its generally held that the deeper a team gets into the Draft, the later the rounds are, the more a team is supposed to draft on the basis of need and we know that TE was one of the least need positions the Texans had by the time the 5th round rolled around. Maybe they thought that Caey was the best player on the Board when the Texans 5th round pick came up, but the BPA concept is usually reserved for the first or maybe second round, not a round as late as the 5th ? And its not like the Texans are the Pats or the Steelers or the Giants or somebody with some of the best talent in the league, they have outstanding needs they still should fill.

Hill was a need pick, Casey was a luxury pick. Because Casey can also perform back-up FB & long snap duties he too makes alot of sense not to mention TE is now the deepest position.

Remember the Texans had two fourth round picks, I thought for sure they would have used one of those on a power RB like Andre Brown. That he was there & they passed is something I hope that doens't come back & haunt the Texans down the road. Andre Brown will be an excellent complimentry RB for the Giants, great 4th rd. value. I threw it into this thread because he would have fit so well into what the Texans need to compliment Slaton.

nunusguy
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Hill was a need pick, Casey was a luxury pick. Because Casey can also perform back-up FB & long snap duties he too makes alot of sense not to mention TE is now the deepest position.

Remember the Texans had two fourth round picks, I thought for sure they would have used one of those on a power RB like Andre Brown. That he was there & they passed is something I hope that doens't come back & haunt the Texans down the road. Andre Brown will be an excellent complimentry RB for the Giants, great 4th rd. value. I threw it into this thread because he would have fit so well into what the Texans need to compliment Slaton.
He would have been an excellent compliment and by way of not taking a running back in the Draft (obviously a far bigger need position than TE), they have now given Slaton and his new agent a lot of leverage to demand a new, big contract prior to the beginning of the 2009 season. Perhaps another Draft move the Texans made (or didn't make), without thinking things thru too well ?
And yes Casey was a "luxury pick" which is just my point. Is the Texans personnel so talented that they can afford to use their very valuable picks in such a way rather than satisfying team needs ? I think not.

HOU-TEX
06-29-2009, 11:49 AM
He would have been an excellent compliment and by way of not taking a running back in the Draft (obviously a far bigger need position than TE), they have now given Slaton and his new agent a lot of leverage to demand a new, big contract prior to the beginning of the 2009 season. Perhaps another Draft move the Texans made (or didn't make), without thinking things thru too well ?
And yes Casey was a "luxury pick" which is just my point. Is the Texans personnel so talented that they can afford to use their very valuable picks in such a way rather than satisfying team needs ? I think not.

Slaton has no leverage in contract negotiations after just one season.

The Texans have already stated the guy they wanted in the 3rd round was picked before we could get our hands on him. I think you're trying to make something out of nothing.

TimeKiller
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM

It is? I kind of thought it was completely the other way around...I mean arguably the 3 neediest positions were OLB, passrush DE and inside OL. Yes, safety safety I ring that bell too but I also see safety has almost no importance with this staff, at least no priority over any other position. But to counter myself, the 3 picks made were arguably the BPA at the time. Also I've heard more than once that Casey was rated highly by the staff who couldn't believe he dropped that far.

I just have to trust the coaches that a C and LT-lite at TE will bolster the running game more than a big runner would. Which they got anyway (Foster).

spurstexanstros
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
It is? I kind of thought it was completely the other way around...I mean arguably the 3 neediest positions were OLB, passrush DE and inside OL. Yes, safety safety I ring that bell too but I also see safety has almost no importance with this staff, at least no priority over any other position. But to counter myself, the 3 picks made were arguably the BPA at the time. Also I've heard more than once that Casey was rated highly by the staff who couldn't believe he dropped that far.

I just have to trust the coaches that a C and LT-lite at TE will bolster the running game more than a big runner would. Which they got anyway (Foster).

I thought we had just signed a pass rushing DE...if not what exactly are we paying A. Smith to do. We needed another De like Tampa needs another QB.

I think the teams plan was to draft S Malcom Jenkins but he was gone right before the Texans pic and they went BPA and second round they really reached. I think in the second and third / fourth round we needed to address needs. Will it cost us...I hope not.

TimeKiller
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I thought we had just signed a pass rushing DE...if not what exactly are we paying A. Smith to do. We needed another De like Tampa needs another QB.
Yeah, well...until either team gets one that works....chalk it up to needing one. Besides, there is no problem in having 2, 3 or 8 guys that can put heat on the passer.

I think the teams plan was to draft S Malcom Jenkins but he was gone right before the Texans pic and they went BPA and second round they really reached. I think in the second and third / fourth round we needed to address needs. Will it cost us...I hope not.

No way. Cushing was the guy all along. I doubt Jenkins would've been the pick even if both were available.

REALLY REACHED for Barwin? What gives you that idea? He was projected anywhere from #17 overall to mid-2nd round. Reaching had no place in the Texans draft, quite honestly they found a lot of value as far as draft picking value can go. Futhermore, C was a definite need, replacement for Bruener a...well..."sort of" need and CB help, possibly a S was definitely a need.

ObsiWan
06-30-2009, 01:29 AM
The only "need" for a replacement to start was to replace Greenwood at OLB. The rest of the picks were depth upgrades.

Cushing ---- definitely a move to replace a starter; need pick.
Barwin ----- depth upgrade behind Antonio Smith
Caldwell ---- depth upgrade behind Briesel/Myers
Quin -------- DB depth insurance in case either Molden doesn't fully recover or Bennett doesn't regain his rookie form. We all know Reeves & Robinson will start.
A. Hill ------- Upgrade over Dreesen; it could be argued that with Bruener gone this was a borderline need pick.
J. Casey ---- Luxury pick. Backup FB. More depth at TE. LS insurance... three positions addressed with one pick = value pick
B. McCain --- More DB depth insurance. Could be the fastest DB on the team. And if NEITHER Molden or Bennett shape up, McCain gets his shot.
T. Nolan ----- Still MORE DB depth. Finally a real FS. Someone to learn from Wilson/Ferguson and contribute on S/T. possibly - VERY possibly - a B.Harrison upgrade.

I would have felt better had they picked up a RB, but since we snagged Foster & Johnson as UDFAs, I'm not gonna fret about it. One of those two should, at least, make the practice squad and contribute at some time during the season.

barrett
06-30-2009, 02:02 AM

You're going to see good drafts from this team for some time to come. The Texans have a pretty strict philosophy under Rick Smith that enables them to take the best player available (that still fits what they are trying to do). It also decreases the tendency to reach for a needed player and waste a pick. Smith has mentioned that they believe it's absolutely critical not to reach. No one will argue that one of the Texans needs was a RB. But when a running back didn't surface that they felt matched the value at their drafting position, they moved onto other positions that fit their system. Need or not, Casey fits their system ideally. So does Caldwell, Hill, Cushing etc. So would have Jenkins in the first but he was gone.

You can even argue that the Duane Brown pick still falls into their draft philosophy. That draft was extremely deep at the LT position and Brown was considered one of the most athletic LT's in the draft. (A skill set that fits the system.) That's key when you look at the Texans. They are constantly drafting guys that fit a specific system more so than a specific position.

It's reasonable to think that the additions at TE and C could effect our red zone offense. RB is not the only need.

Vinny
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
The only "need" for a replacement to start was to replace Greenwood at OLB. The rest of the picks were depth upgrades.
We could have used a legit starter at FS as opposed to lots of 'potential' starter types. I'm also not convinced our CB play is going to be all that good this season. A Tackle that can stuff the run is a need too, till proven otherwise.

In my mind we are only really "set" at DE, MLB, SLB. Every other position has some sort of question mark of some sort imo.

False Start
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Great blog! :texflag: