PDA

View Full Version : BR:Kubiak Plans To Take the Kids Out for a Spin

Wolf
06-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Modern NFL roster rules and shortened preseasons don’t make it easy for young players looking for their big break.

All too often coaches are forced by necessity to concentrate on veterans to make sure their team is ready come opening day, and the kids never get enough reps in practice to show their stuff.

Gary Kubiak of the Houston Texans is feeling confident enough in his veterans that he’s sending them to the training room when mini-camp starts Monday, and plans to spend the mini-camp getting a better look at some of the youngsters.

“Again, I told the players the other day, the game’s changed so much,” Kubiak is quoted as saying in the team’s daily news release at the Texans' official web site. “When I played, the rosters were so big—120. Training camp was so long."

“You came to camp to get in shape. Nowadays, your numbers are down, you’re expected to be ready to go the day you walk in the door and camp’s a lot shorter.”

Kubiak said the Texans’ veterans will be going back to college, in a roundabout way.

“There are about 30 veteran players that are going to be here working out with (head strength and conditioning coach) Ray (Wright) and not practice,” he said. “We’re going to get them more teaching and more classroom time.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/197570-kubiak-plans-to-take-the-kids-out-for-a-spin

Insideop
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM
That's interesting. Is any other team doing it this way that you know of?

badboy
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it is an excellent move. There are some vets that need to be on field imo such as TJ and maybe some players coming off injuries and wanting to get some field time in, but for most part, I like it. This allows coaches more film to watch of the border line players. There will be some difficult choices this year.

cland
06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
With Barwin missing all of OTA's I'm happy about this decision. I still don't expect all that much out of the rook, but this will certainly help him get his technique right so that he can work on it before training camp. I'd expect Kollar has a new project....good luck kid!

Mike Kerns
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Good. I want to get a look at the two undrafted RB's we took. Foster and Jeremiah Johnson.

badboy
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Good. I want to get a look at the two undrafted RB's we took. Foster and Jeremiah Johnson.
Yep and Moats also. We have absolutely nothing to hang our hat on that we have Slaton's complement or a 3rd down banger on the team.

Runner
06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
From the original link:

Gary Kubiak of the Houston Texans is feeling confident enough in his veterans that he’s sending them to the training room when mini-camp starts Monday, and plans to spend the mini-camp getting a better look at some of the youngsters.

“Again, I told the players the other day, the game’s changed so much,” Kubiak is quoted as saying in the team’s daily news release at the Texans' official web site. “When I played, the rosters were so big—120. Training camp was so long."

“You came to camp to get in shape. Nowadays, your numbers are down, you’re expected to be ready to go the day you walk in the door and camp’s a lot shorter.”

Kubiak said the Texans’ veterans will be going back to college, in a roundabout way.

“There are about 30 veteran players that are going to be here working out with (head strength and conditioning coach) Ray (Wright) and not practice,” he said. “We’re going to get them more teaching and more classroom time.”

Proving that even a blind runner finds a nut once in a while:

February 2009
As far as innovation goes, I don't think hitting as much as possible is particulary new and innovative. I think it is coaches coaching as they were coached. Spending more of the early practice time learning the complex systems in modern football might be time better spent by a coach that cares to try new ideas.

January 2006
I think a lot of this has to do with the evolution of the game. There is so much money, and competition for the positions to earn that money, that the players treat the off-season differently than in "the old days".

The modern day player typically comes to camp in game shape or close to it. They work hard on their conditioning during the off-season. This is a generalization so I'm sure that exceptions could be pointed out, but I think my point is valid.

I think the players that do come in after working hard during the off-season should reap the benefits by having more time to learn the system while the others literally "work their butts off".

Wolf
06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
nice runner +1

Runner
06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
nice runner +1

-1 for patting myself on the back, but I've thought about this for a long time. :)

Wolf
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
-1 for patting myself on the back, but I've thought about this for a long time. :)

guess I could get <-1> for not paying attention the first time :cowboy1:

I am glad Kubiak is doing this, fast pace for these kids, let them learn some basics and then they can carry the veterans helmets,get the veterans water later in the month or so :kingkong:

Mike Kerns
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep and Moats also. We have absolutely nothing to hang our hat on that we have Slaton's complement or a 3rd down banger on the team.

Yes. Moats, too. I forget we have him sometimes...

Malloy
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Then again, +1 for admitting the self-pat :)

Maddict5
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
i think its a good decision for the most part, although it might be beneficial for barwin & johnson to see mario/slaton at work too before training camp and see what they have to aim for (as well as working against duane etc)

badboy
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
From the original link:

Proving that even a blind runner finds a nut once in a while:

February 2009

January 2006From your lips to the coach's ear. Pretty impressive.

Maddict5
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
-1 for patting myself on the back

took care of that for you :)

Runner
06-12-2009, 07:02 PM
took care of that for you :)

Thanks!

TimeKiller
06-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Hey, there are a lot of 1st and 2nd year guys that need to bring it this year and here's a good way to do it. All through the 2ndary, the LBs, Barwin,Caldwell, one of the UDFA RBs (both?) there are guys who need to step up to make this team dominate. I really hope to see a crazy good special teams this year. We certainly should.

How 'bout that for an incentive to young and old? Work, deserve your spot and we'll take it easy on you. I wonder what Dunta would get if he came back, Wright/film time or get on the field time?