PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Williams Bid To Boost Texans Defense

Wolf
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
HOUSTON (AP) ―

Defensive end Mario Williams has steadily improved during his three seasons in the NFL, yet the Houston defense has remained one of the league's worst. The Texans are hoping they've found a solution.

Antonio Smith, the Arizona Cardinals defensive end who cashed in on a trip to the Super Bowl by landing a new deal in Houston, is expected to give the Texans another weapon to pressure the quarterback -- a weapon other than Williams.

"The biggest thing we have to do is get to the quarterback," said Williams, who had 12 sacks last season -- 10 more than the rest of the starting linemen combined. "A lot of the teams we play have very good quarterbacks, so we've really need to get to the quarterback."

Houston's offense finished last season ranked third, but the defense was 22nd, allowing more than 336 yards per game and only five teams allowed more points per game than the Texans' 24.6. Williams made his first Pro Bowl last season, but there was a lack of production around him.

Smith should help. He had two sacks in the playoffs alone and had 5 1/2 for the season. He also forced a fumble and had a safety in the postseason.

His presence should free up Williams for the first time. The 2006 top overall pick has fought through near-constant double teams with no legitimate rushing threat on the other side since his arrival. Anthony Weaver, who was released this offseason, managed only one sack in three seasons playing opposite Williams.

http://cbs11tv.com/sports/Houston.Texans.Defense.2.1041869.html

TimeKiller
06-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Seriously....

Do you think you could get more than 1 sack in 3 seasons opposite Mario "teh beastzors 9000" Willams? I'd bet money that I would get more than 1. I think I'd probably get 1 a year on accident. Hell, Anthony Weaver was purposely avoiding sacks, there I said it. He's probably paid by ESPN or the league office or maybe just Reggie Bush himself to make life tough on Mario.

Lucky
06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Hell, Anthony Weaver was purposely avoiding sacks, there I said it.
Weaver was the worst free agent signing by the Texans. Ever. I won't lie, I wasn't jumping for joy when I saw the Texans throw a big $$$ contract at another LDE. I thought Mario should be moved to that side and become a combination of Reggie White and Michael Strahan. Still, Smith should be soooooo much better than Weaver was. A black hole like Weaver has to have a negative ripple in your defense. Maybe, just maybe, Antonio Smith will be enough to turn this defense around. Where's the Battle Red koolaid?

http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/kool-aid-man.png

dalemurphy
06-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Weaver was the worst free agent signing by the Texans. Ever. I won't lie, I wasn't jumping for joy when I saw the Texans throw a big $$$ contract at another LDE. I thought Mario should be moved to that side and become a combination of Reggie White and Michael Strahan. Still, Smith should be soooooo much better than Weaver was. A black hole like Weaver has to have a negative ripple in your defense. Maybe, just maybe, Antonio Smith will be enough to turn this defense around. Where's the Battle Red koolaid?

http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/kool-aid-man.png

Ummm:

Robaire Smith
Todd Wade... are pretty hard to beat. I think Wade's contract was similar and Robaire Smith's was even bigger than Weaver's... that being said, the Weaver signing was a heck of a parting gift from Charlie.

Lucky
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Ummm:

Robaire Smith
Todd Wade... are pretty hard to beat. I think Wade's contract was similar and Robaire Smith's was even bigger than Weaver's... that being said, the Weaver signing was a heck of a parting gift from Charlie.
I'm not suggesting that Weaver didn't have a high bar to clear. But, Robaire averaged over 60 tackles a year for the Texans. Not bad for a 3-4 lineman. Wade actually had a good start to his short career as a Texan, as did the Texans offense in 2004. The offensive nose dive can be traced back to Wade's ankle injury. That injury seemed to rob Wade of what mobility he had. In retrospect, bad signings for too much $$$. But, they did't reach the level of brutal play that Weaver achieved here.

Furthermore, to place the blame of the Weaver signing squarely on a lame duck Casserly is weak. Does the Texans head coach never err?

infantrycak
06-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Ummm:

Robaire Smith

Smith certainly didn't work out for the Texans, but funny thing was he was sitting there for the last two years outperforming a 1st round draft pick who has gone on to become the highest paid defense player in the league.

69 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 forced fumble v. 62 tackles, 3.5 sacks

Furthermore, to place the blame of the Weaver signing squarely on a lame duck Casserly is weak. Does the Texans head coach never err?

True but doesn't the GM get some of the blame as well. Shouldn't Casserly have responded to the rookie offensive minded head coach with "Weaver is the best DE available this off-season, but the market for DE's sucks and Weaver isn't really suited to a 4-3?" Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We don't know. If he did, I would blame Kubiak primarily. If he didn't, I would blame Casserly primarily.

GP
06-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Smith certainly didn't work out for the Texans, but funny thing was he was sitting there for the last two years outperforming a 1st round draft pick who has gone on to become the highest paid defense player in the league.

69 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 forced fumble v. 62 tackles, 3.5 sacks

True but doesn't the GM get some of the blame as well. Shouldn't Casserly have responded to the rookie offensive minded head coach with "Weaver is the best DE available this off-season, but the market for DE's sucks and Weaver isn't really suited to a 4-3?" Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We don't know. If he did, I would blame Kubiak primarily. If he didn't, I would blame Casserly primarily.

I don't see the HC being responsible for the actual contract. Maybe there is error on the coach if the coach tells his GM "I want Player X...no matter what. Get him."

I'm still waiting for that bombshell, head-scratching player contract by Rick Smith. Has there been one yet? Maybe Ahman Green was a goofed up move by Kubiak and Smith, but it didn't have cap hell implications AND the contract was eventually re-worked to sign him to lower dollars IIRC.

It even appears that the Antonio Smith contract is not Todd Wade'ish or Anthony Weavr'ish. But then again, I don't fully understand contract details and how that works. I can only speak in generalities about them.

CloakNNNdagger
06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Threats from BOTH end positions should also free up the up-the-middle direct lanes to the quarter back, which always seemed clogged with D bodies.

Lucky
06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
True but doesn't the GM get some of the blame as well.
If the new coach was taking Casserly's advice on player personnel, I would have a problem with that, as well. Casserly was keeping the seat warm for Rick Smith, whom Denver wouldn't release from contract until after the draft. Casserly was supposed to guide the new coach through the process. Not make $multi-million decisions.

If we are to give the Texans head coach the credit for the 2006 offseason moves such as the Williams pick, the Walters trade, and the Rosenfels signing (a good pickup regardless of the Rosencopter stuff), then he also must take the hit for the Weaver signing. I'm sure the thinking during the free agency period was that Bush was the pick, and there was a huge hole at LDE. I give the head coach major props for not letting the Weaver signing affect his decision to go with Mario #1.

Overall, I don't have a problem with what the Texans have accomplished regarding personell acquistions under the current head coach. Even with the bad Weaver signing, 2006 was an outstanding offseason for the Texans. I'm not giving Casserly an ounce of credit for that. He had no juice in the organization. Consequently, I won't place any blame on the man for the one decision that went bad.

gary
06-13-2009, 01:34 PM
The D was ranked 22nd last season I think if they get into the top 10 or 15 and the O stays ranked third as it is or higher as in second or first then Houston would have one hell of a football team. Matt must stay on the on the field as well. Houston has bright things ahead regarding their football team. Gary's rope here as head coach of the Houston Texans isn't long but it isn't short either just like every other coach in the NFL if Houston does not start moving along I hope they do though because I like Gary and would like him to stick around for awhile as head coach. GO TEXANS

Kaiser Toro
06-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Bobby Grier always has a place in Texans' history.