PDA

View Full Version : Rex Grossman a Texan

JWarren14
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
According to @RosenhausSports Rex Grossman is visiting the Houston Texans and will agree to a 1 year deal after a physical.

"Rex Grossman will be visiting the Houston Texans tonight. He will be taking a physcial and we anticipate agreeing to terms on a 1 year deal."

Brando
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I just came here to post this.....

The Houston Texans could soon be adding a new quarterback to a depth chart that became considerably weaker once Sage Rosenfels was traded to the Vikings.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has announced that Rex Grossman, a first-round pick six years ago who has become largely forgotten during his stint on the free-agent shelf, will visit the Texans on Thursday night.

Rosenhaus said he anticipates that Grossman will sign a one-year deal.

If Rosenhaus is right, the former Bears starter will join Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, and Alex Brink as the four quarterbacks heading into training camp.

The real question is whether Grossman is merely a camp arm — or whether he has a legitimate shot at making the 53-man roster.

His chief competition likely will be Orlovsky, who signed as a free agent. So the options to serve as the backup to Matt Schaub (who missed five games in each of his two years as a starter) will be a guy who runs out of his own end zone, or a guy who stays in bounds and fires a deep ball that is caught by the other team.

link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/11/grossman-to-the-texans/)

I'm in shock.

Ben Frank
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
More competition I guess

Texaninlild
06-11-2009, 01:18 PM
He will be a third string QB. Kubes has gone from conservative on the backup QB spot to paranoid. We went from having no more than 2 on a roster to 3. I liked Grossman's tools, but he was never consistent. He reminded me of our friend DC.

NEB74
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
oh wow...

drewmar74
06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
:mcnugget:

I'm not sure what to say....

That's a hell of a camp arm, though.

hot pickle
06-11-2009, 01:21 PM
i feel more comfortable with rex then with dan o if schaub goes down again

JWarren14
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Not sure why we need Grossman? I have only heard positive things on Brink's development. I think Dan can be a good QB with Kubiak & Lil Shanny coaching him up. I really don't understand it if we actually do sign him.

I don't know what to say. I guess we'll have to wait to see if we really do sign him and what Kubiak/Smith has to say about it. We could be using whatever money we are about to spend on Rex to re-sign Dunta & OD and to sign some rookies.

???

Texecutioner
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I've got no problem at all with Grossman as a back up. Just don't want to ever see him as our starter. But as a back up, I'm fine with that.

Thorn
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't help but feel Grossman is camp fodder. Kubiac only carries two QBs on the active roster during the regular season. Unless that is going to change, and since we already signed D.O. to a 3 year contract, I'm not seeing the need for Grossman. I doubt Grossman is eligable for the practice squad nor would he probably play on one.

Oh well. At least it's a new mystery to ponder.

TEXANS84
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm completely cool with Grossman. Good signing if true, but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.
That'll eliminate the longsnapper and thus have a TE or LB that could do both.

Texecutioner
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.

What do you mean by that?

nero THE zero
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
This looks like Quinn Gray all over again.

People will speculate about how this signing is too high-profile to be merely a camp move and how there must be something in the works, we will go through camp, and, ultimately, Grossman will be cut before the season starts.

It is interesting that Smith and Kubiak like to do this though. I wonder what the benefit is, because it can't be the most prudent practice financially.

TEXANS84
06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by that?

Didn't mean rotation (still on baseball talk). 3 qb roster.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
There is NO WAY Rex Grossman is coming here to be a third-string quarterback. He's going to compete with Orlovsky, which means either he looked bad at OTAs, or the coaches aren't a sure about him as the fat contract they gave him suggested they were.

The Texans aren't going to carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, and Grossman obviously isn't going to the practice squad. He's here for one reason - to compete with Orlovsky.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
This looks like Quinn Gray all over again.

People will speculate about how this signing is too high-profile to be merely a camp move and how there must be something in the works, we will go through camp, and, ultimately, Grossman will be cut before the season starts.

It is interesting that Smith and Kubiak like to do this though. I wonder what the benefit is, because it can't be the most prudent practice financially.

It is ABSOLUTELY too high-profile to merely be a camp arm. It may turn out that way - but the Texans could just go out and re-sign Shane Boyd if they needed nothing more than a camp arm.

drewmar74
06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
There is NO WAY Rex Grossman is coming here to be a third-string quarterback. He's going to compete with Orlovsky, which means either he looked bad at OTAs, or the coaches aren't a sure about him as the fat contract they gave him suggested they were.

The Texans aren't going to carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, and Grossman obviously isn't going to the practice squad. He's here for one reason - to compete with Orlovsky.

^^^^^^^
This

Runner
06-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm completely cool with Grossman. Good signing if true, but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.
That'll eliminate the longsnapper and thus have a TE or LB that could do both.

If they do keep three experienced QBs on the roster, it would prove a wise move if Schaub's injury trend continues.

It would be nice if one of the position players is also the long snapper - isn't that being considered? The third QB could slide into that spot historically used by the Texans for the long snapper.

TEXANS84
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
If they do keep three experienced QBs on the roster, it would prove a wise move if Schaub's injury trend continues.

It would be nice if one of the position players is also the long snapper - isn't that being considered? The third QB could slide into that spot historically used by the Texans for the long snapper.

Yep, I'd feel way more comfortable with a superbowl quarterback sitting on the bench with another option as well.

I believe that Dressen was looked at as the long snapper, and Casey has been looked at as longsnapper in camp. I can't remember who closed out the season for us after Pittman was suspended.

Porky
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Well let's see. This just screams "oops Dan O isn't doing very well" in OTA's to me. They won't say that publically, but that's my take. Looks to me like they are probably telling him he has a legit shot to be the primary backup. I say bring him in. He has a lot of starting experience. He is wildly inconsistent and is prone to being picked, but as a backup he isn't a bad option really. Don't want him starting for an extended period if we can help it though. I guess I would just say let the best man win.

pbat488
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Who knows, maybe someone's QB gets hurt over the summer/pre-season, and they need a serviceable QB to step in and play/back-up. If we can squeeze a draft pick out of someone, great.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Yep, I'd feel way more comfortable with a superbowl quarterback sitting on the bench with another option as well.

I believe that Dressen was looked at as the long snapper, and Casey has been looked at as longsnapper in camp. I can't remember who closed out the season for us after Pittman was suspended.

Clark Harris took over the long snapping, and did a great job. It would be nice if Casey or someone else who is a position player could do it. Harris is also a TE, but obviously he's bringing up the rear of an already-crowded position.

nero THE zero
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Grossman was a free agent when Orlovsky was signed. He wasn't even brought in for an audition at the time Orlovsky and Ramsey were. Additionally, Grossman has started a total of 15 games over 5 season, minus the 2006 season. If he was that high-profile, he would have gotten a look-see from us and/or signed on somewhere already.

There's the slight possibility that there's something they don't like about Orlovsky and Grossman the best of the rest left, but that would be a pretty bad mistake by the FO. There's also the possibility that there's something wrong with Schaub that we haven't heard about and they're bringing him in as a back-up to our back-up.

But, my money's on the fact that there's something that Kubiak likes about having veteran arms in camp. They did it with Quinn Gray last year, and they're doing it with Grossman this year. Much ado about nothing, IMO

badboy
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I too am a bit puzzled by this move. I think Dan is a good back up and I may be reading him wrong but I doubt he will look at this as "good competition." Orslovsky seemed pumped to be wanted by Texans and the training he could receive under Kubes. Usually I am ok with bringing in more comp. but I'm not sure this was a good move unless Smith thinks Grossman is way better than what we have.

JWarren14
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Per John McClain @ the Chron:

The Texans have agreed to a one-year contract with free agent quarterback Rex Grossman.

If Grossman passes his physical on Friday as expected, he will give the Texans four quarterbacks entering next week's minicamp.

Grossman, the Bears' No. 1 pick in 2003 will sign a one-year deal for the minimum $745,000.

He will join starter Matt Schaub and backups Dan Orlovsky and Alex Brink as the four quarterbacks on the roster.

The Texans completed organized team activities Thursday. Their three-day minicamp begins Monday.

Minimum for a guy with starting experience not too bad.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Grossman was a free agent when Orlovsky was signed. He wasn't even brought in for an audition at the time Orlovsky and Ramsey were. Additionally, Grossman has started a total of 15 games over 5 season, minus the 2006 season. If he was that high-profile, he would have gotten a look-see from us and/or signed on somewhere already.

There's the slight possibility that there's something they don't like about Orlovsky and Grossman the best of the rest left, but that would be a pretty bad mistake by the FO. There's also the possibility that there's something wrong with Schaub that we haven't heard about and they're bringing him in as a back-up to our back-up.

But, my money's on the fact that there's something that Kubiak likes about having veteran arms in camp. They did it with Quinn Gray last year, and they're doing it with Grossman this year. Much ado about nothing, IMO

Quinn Gray and Rex Grossman are hardly comparable. Grossman has won games in this league, despite how hated he was. He led a team to the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying he's a star - but he's certainly not here to be the third-stringer. He's either going to be the backup, or he's going to be cut - barring something unexpected like you talked about with Schaub.

hookinreds
06-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Who knows, maybe someone's QB gets hurt over the summer/pre-season, and they need a serviceable QB to step in and play/back-up. If we can squeeze a draft pick out of someone, great.

My thought exactly.

ArlingtonTexan
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't think this means that much. Grossman would have to CLEARLY out play Orlovsky and his contract to beat him out for the back-up job. If Grossman had other options he would not be going to a team with two 20 something QBs handpicked by the head coach.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't think this means that much. Grossman would have to CLEARLY out play Orlovsky and his contract to beat him out for the back-up job. If Grossman had other options he would not be going to a team with two 20 something QBs handpicked by the head coach.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear Grossman was out of options. The guy has gotten a team to a super bowl, and has started over 30 games in the league... and only signed for 745K... and he's only 28.

TexansFanatic
06-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Our boys are full of surprises. It's fun to be a Texans fan.

ArlingtonTexan
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear Grossman was out of options. The guy has gotten a team to a super bowl, and has started over 30 games in the league... and only signed for 745K... and he's only 28.

and none of 32 teams wanted him as starter, competing for the starting job or as their clear number 2 back-up or he would not have been available in the middle of June. Because he is known name does not make him a good name. Grossman's problem is that everyone has an idea of what he can or better (can't) do as a QB in the NFL.

Tailgate
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a hard time believing this is some sort of knee jerk reaction to Orlovskys play so far in OTAs. I repeat.... Organized Team Activities.

HouSportsWriter
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
i like this he had a bad o-line with bears but steel got 2 the supper bowl hope he does beter here =]

texanfan2002114
06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
According to a friend of mine inside the organization Alex Bink will be cut.

m5kwatts
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
at first glance at this signing my thought was "wow can't wait to see how all the ***** mouth breathers in the media will react to dan and rex in camp with us"

my wish came true

"Battle of the QB titans in Texans in Houston back up Schaub: Grossman vs. Orlovsky. There's one I wouldn't pay to see." peter king's twitter page

go smurf yourself you fat bean eating boston moron

drewmar74
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
i like this he had a bad o-line with bears but steel got 2 the supper bowl hope he does beter here =]

That O-line wasn't bad.

The problem wasn't the Bears o-line. Or their running game.

The problem mainly existed between Grossman's ears as his decision making left a lot to be desired at times.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a hard time believing this is some sort of knee jerk reaction to Orlovskys play so far in OTAs. I repeat.... Organized Team Activities.

Now that I've seen the amount he signed for - I tend to agree.

pbat488
06-11-2009, 03:20 PM

The O-Line actually wasn't that terrible and they only went to 1 super bowl.

Mr teX
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
this better be a late april fools joke....

nero THE zero
06-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Now that I've seen the amount he signed for - I tend to agree.

He signed for even less than Gray did last year.

drewmar74
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Wow.

So, if someone is floating the rumor that Brink is going to get cut, then are we looking at having Rex as a 3rd stringer?

RT22
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c97c_2x88iU&feature=related

Wolf
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't read much into it.

I think it is along the lines of ,it's early, bring in anyone that can bring competition,whether it is for starting ,2nd string,3rd string or whatever.

whatever the coaches can do to push each and every guy to get the best 53 on the roster...

and if competition helps make the guy that was #53 on last years squad improve his standings on the depth chart, it is all good
:texflag:

Hervoyel
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Grossman will compete with Orlovsky and the Texans will keep whichever one of the two they feel most comfortable with. The other one will not make the roster and could be dealt in camp for late round draft pick in the event that the injury bug sends somebody scrambling for help. Kubiak is a QB guru guy and more than that he likes being thought of as a QB guru guy. Expect the Texans to have a project QB in camp just about every year. He might be a UDFA or a career reclamation project claimed off the scrap heap but we'll almost always have somebody like that around.

I'm not knocking him for it or being negative about it but you can count on Kubiak assembling and working with journeyman QB's like you could count on Casserly making boneheaded "look how smart I am" deals on draft day. It's something of a conceit with each of them. Kubiaks conceit is a healthy one while Casserly's was a costly one. Kubiak will find more diamonds to polish up and deal away than Casserly ever would have.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM

I don't get this move.

They signed Quinn Gray at a time where they could have the flexibility to deal Rosenfels and teams would see they had that flexibility. I understood that.

Do they just want to rent Grossman because they are giving up on Brink?

By most accounts they've been happy with Orlovsky.

Is it just an experience upgrade so they don't have to sweat two QBs on the roster and having decent arms to get through training camp and preseason games?

Texans_Chick
06-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Grossman will compete with Orlovsky and the Texans will keep whichever one of the two they feel most comfortable with. The other one will not make the roster and could be dealt in camp for late round draft pick in the event that the injury bug sends somebody scrambling for help. Kubiak is a QB guru guy and more than that he likes being thought of as a QB guru guy. Expect the Texans to have a project QB in camp just about every year. He might be a UDFA or a career reclamation project claimed off the scrap heap but we'll almost always have somebody like that around.

I'm not knocking him for it or being negative about it but you can count on Kubiak assembling and working with journeyman QB's like you could count on Casserly making boneheaded "look how smart I am" deals on draft day. It's something of a conceit with each of them. Kubiaks conceit is a healthy one while Casserly's was a costly one. Kubiak will find more diamonds to polish up and deal away than Casserly ever would have.

I'm not sure Orlovsky's contract is one that you want to ditch so soon after signing it.

And Grossman is only a one year contract. With a one year deal, you can't really polish the turd and deal him.

ArlingtonTexan
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't get this move.

They signed Quinn Gray at a time where they could have the flexibility to deal Rosenfels and teams would see they had that flexibility. I understood that.

Is it just an experience upgrade so they don't have to sweat two QBs on the roster and having decent arms to get through training camp and preseason games?

I really believe it is no more than the ability to improve the 3rd QB position on the cheap. Don't think there is much read into it. if there is more i.e. Orlovsky stinks then we will find out in August.

Edit: I don't think it is a good move for Grossman. Seems like he would have been better off pulling Leftwich/Culpepper from last year, waiting by the phone for injury strike.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I really believe it is no more than the ability to improve the 3rd QB position on the cheap. Don't think there is much read into it. if there is more i.e. Orlovsky stinks then we will find out in August.

I'm guessing that your answer is the correct one. I know that the Texans felt pretty fortunate for a couple of seasons that they didn't need to go to the third quarterback or perhaps the Owen Daniels emergency QB scenario.

Maybe they think they have enough depth that they can carry three QBs on the roster.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Edit: I don't think it is a good move for Grossman. Seems like he would have been better off pulling Leftwich/Culpepper from last year, waiting by the phone for injury strike.

Perhaps it is better long term. That by getting the Kubiak polishing on his resume, and maybe looking good in the preseason in a QB friendly system, he buys time for his future. Chicago's system wasn't much for highlighting good QB play.

Malloy
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
OMG, enough of that Bears connection already ! ;)

badboy
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
And this is why I don't get the pick up. Why bring in a QB that may be only marginally better than your #2 guy? If he could be much better well, sure. I guess I was just very ok with Schaub and O. With the talent that should be developing, I do not want a spot taken up by a 3rd QB.

imatexan
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Much better backup than Dan IMO, lets see what he can do.

dalemurphy
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't get this move.

My guess is this happened for a few reasons.

1. Kubiak has said he'd like to keep 3 QBs but only if all three have earned a roster spot.

2. The risk/reward was just too good not to sign a talent like Grossman for next to nothing.

3. Perhaps Kubiak has successfully developed a reputation so that QBs are eager to play under him. Since guys like Orlavsky and Grossman were not in demand to be starters, Kubiak's presence is a motivating factor for them to start or revitalize their career. After all, I'm sure that other teams were willing to pay less than $1 million for a one year deal in order to get Grossman in as a backup... I mean, David Carr has gotten better deals than that in Carolina and NY!

TEXANS84
06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
The Houston Texans could soon be adding a new quarterback to a depth chart that became considerably weaker once Sage Rosenfels was traded to the Vikings.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has announced that Rex Grossman, a first-round pick six years ago who has become largely forgotten during his stint on the free-agent shelf, will visit the Texans on Thursday night.

Rosenhaus said he anticipates that Grossman will sign a one-year deal.

LINK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/11/grossman-to-the-texans/)

nunusguy
06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm with Chicky on this one, I don't get the move either ?
But one thing it means for sure, and that is that little Shanny is full of crap because he's got a video presentation over on the Texans home page where
he basically says he's totally thrilled with his QBs. All of them.
Now like I said I dunno, but I'm guessing it seems to be more of an insurance policy on Dan O than Schaub because Dan O was supposed to be Schaubs policy.

Hervoyel
06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure Orlovsky's contract is one that you want to ditch so soon after signing it.

And Grossman is only a one year contract. With a one year deal, you can't really polish the turd and deal him.

True about the contract but if Grossman makes it to camp and completely beats out Orlovsky don't you think he'll be second on the depth chart? If that should happen then what do you do with Orlovsky? You're probably right that you don't kick him to the curb but he isn't signed for so much money that he's unmoveable. Right now people are certain that they know exactly what you get with Grossman. If a team or two found itself in dire need of a QB during camp and the Texans were willing to deal either Grossman or Orlovsky who would attract an offer? It might be Orlovsky at this point considering the perceived value of Rex. It might be Grossman but I think Orlovsky probably has more upside than Grossman today.

I keep going back to Sage and his signing.

He really didn't have much value when we picked him up and all of us kind of scratched our heads at the time. I think he was meant to be a year or two project and he got here and demonstrated the kinds of things Kubiak looks for. Kubiak started polishing and three years later he got a draft pick for him. Granted the team should have moved a year earlier but my point is that I don't think that the Texans are unwilling to invest a couple of years in a project to get something back. This franchise has patience when it comes to that kind of thing.

I don't think Quinn Gray came in and impressed Kubiak all that much and so he wasn't here long. I'm sure the Texans are happy with Orlovsky but that doesn't mean Kubiak isn't interested in seeing if Grossman can be polished up some. Grossman played QB on a Super Bowl team and he's fairly young. By all rights he should be looking for a situation like the one here in Houston where he can come in, backup a guy like Schaub, learn a system, and then get a chance to play a little and show the rest of the league that the book isn't closed on his improvement.

Polo
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I actually think Grossman on the Texans is > than Grossman on the Bears. I don't have a problem with the signing and I look forward to the competition.

Hell, maybe Dan O and Rex will both look good in our system and we trade Schaub for two seconds. J/K

pbat488
06-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Has it even been confirmed that we've signed him? I just haven't seen it anywhere that says we have actually put pen to paper on this.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Has it even been confirmed that we've signed him? I just haven't seen it anywhere that says we have actually put pen to paper on this.

Not official yet. He has to pass his physical tomorrow.

Maddict5
06-11-2009, 04:50 PM

barring a meteoric performance in TC, then yes he def is a camp arm & it makes plenty sense. nobody has shown much if any interest in him so it obviously makes sense to go to a place where he'll look best in preseason (a prolific, qb friendly offence) and hope that those performance lead to a contract elsewhere down the road. exactly like quinn gray last yr.

Texan JBZ
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Surprised only a bit by this. Competition is always good for the team. Good low risk, high reward move by Rick Smith.

mexican_texan
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
If you think Grossman is better than Orlovsky, you clearly didn't watch Orlovsky play. One of them is an accurate, smart passer, the other one is a strong armed QB who throws around the area of his targets.

Revolution
06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
If you think Grossman is better than Orlovsky, you clearly didn't watch Orlovsky play. One of them is an accurate, smart passer, the other one is a strong armed QB who throws around the area of his targets.

This is what I don't understand. Everything I've been hearing is that Orlovsky has looked sharp at OTAs. This signing tells me otherwise. Having seen both play, I would take Orlovsky in a heartbeat over Grossman.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't you just love the offseason, don't know what to think, waiting to see this one unfold

kiwitexansfan
06-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I vote Camp Arm.

Veteran guy who will push Dan-O, pick things up fairly quickly and keep the wear and tear of Schaub.

Nice pick up though as long as its around the minimum.

Lucky
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
But, my money's on the fact that there's something that Kubiak likes about having veteran arms in camp. They did it with Quinn Gray last year, and they're doing it with Grossman this year.
Did Quinn Gray even make it to training camp with the Texans?

It wasn't easy, but the Texans found a QB with worse stats than David Carr. Grossman was on the scrap heap and the Texans head coach will earn another notch on his QB reclamation belt if he can turn this guy around.

m5kwatts
06-11-2009, 06:31 PM
What's wrong with the team just bringing him in to take a look at the guy? This is not Madden where you can see his attributes and judge whether you want to sign them...bring him in let him throw to our receivers and if he isn't the best out of those 3 competing then cut him loose...no need to blow a fuse and act like were ready to hand the franchise over to him

Carr Bombed
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
This is what I don't understand. Everything I've been hearing is that Orlovsky has looked sharp at OTAs. This signing tells me otherwise. Having seen both play, I would take Orlovsky in a heartbeat over Grossman.

I think this signing says more about Brink than it does Orlovsky. Frankly I don't really think it says anything about Orlovsky. I mean they signed him for the league minimum....if you could sign a guy for the minimum and upgrade your overall talent at QB, wouldn't you do it regardless of who your top two QBs are?

I never thought Alex Brink was anything special or ever thought he had a chance to ever make it in this league.......I actually liked the Boyd guy we brought to camp last year over him.

Sideline
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I once saw a group on facebook dedicated to Rex called:

"F@!" It, Lets throw it deep!"

Always makes me laugh when I hear his name.

I always loved his style of play, a balls out competitor. He needs someone to calm him down which I believe Kubes could do and he has alot of tools to be a solid Quarterback in this league, and im sure a serviceable backup. I was only saying to a buddy last week how strange it is that he has yet to find any work at all. Im really psyched to be giving him a shot and really look forward to seeing him for us in Camp/Preseason.

BigBull17
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
He's a better, more proven arm than Brinks. Dan O is the back-up, and Grossman will be the 3rd, if he makes the team.

nero THE zero
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Did Quinn Gray even make it to training camp with the Texans?

It wasn't easy, but the Texans found a QB with worse stats than David Carr. Grossman was on the scrap heap and the Texans head coach will earn another notch on his QB reclamation belt if he can turn this guy around.

Guess not. They cut him on June 9.

CloakNNNdagger
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me. My prediction......Grossman will be following Quinn Gray to the USFL. If we don't carry 3 QBs, Orlovsky stays.....unless HE'S the one that hypothetically may have sustained an OTA arm injury.

During the 2008 season the Detroit Lions gave up a whopping 52 sacks, or three to four a game. Talk about a drive killer.

In his final season with the Lions, Jon Kitna was sacked one time per eight attempts which is the exact same ratio as Daunte Culpepper in 2008.

However, Dan Orlovsky was only sacked one time per 18 pass attempts which is just below the average of some of the leagues best quarterbacks. Also, considering it was Orlovsky's first starting action of his career it's a fairly acceptable ratio.

Had Dan Orlovsky started the entire season the offensive line would have likely given up 28 sacks as opposed to 52.\]

LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/194616-digging-deeper-quarterback-play-killing-detroits-offensive-line)

Texan4Ever
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
At least he doesn't run out of the end zone...lol. Grossman does have the tools but is grossly inconsistent, however, I'd like to see if Shanahan can fix that and make him a tradeable commodity :thinking:.

Blazing Arrow
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
:thinking: ... great pickup ...

michaelm
06-11-2009, 09:49 PM

I'll definitely get roasted for saying this, but I think Orlovsky has a chance to push Schaub for the starting spot in a year or two. The guys has some skill, and I think this system will give him a chance to shine.

BTW, don't take this as a criticism of Schaub. IMO, Matt has enough game to take this team to the highest level, if he stays healthy.

michaelm
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM

:thinking: all you want.
He's a better third QB than VY.

Blazing Arrow
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
:thinking: all you want.
He's a better third QB than VY.

Who is your second again?

CloakNNNdagger
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
There's always the possibility that the Texans feel that Grossman had a poor OL and questionable running game supporting him. That this may have put him in a compromised position, being constantly hurried and singularly targeted by the Ds since the running game was so poor. They may think that this may have accounted for his inaccuracy, and want to see what he can do with his arm behind what they now consider a solid OL and better running game.........and with some adjustment coaching.......

Wolf
06-11-2009, 10:16 PM

Patrick Ramsey?
:shades:

Blazing Arrow
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Patrick Ramsey?
:shades:

Ramsey>Grossman ....

TexansFanatic
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Ramsey>Grossman ....

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/smilies/roll.gif

michaelm
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Ramsey>Grossman ....

Schaub>Collins

Schaub>Ramsey
Orlovsky>Ramsey

Schaub>VY
Orlovsky>VY
Grossman>VY

Grossman > or < Ramsey is the only comparison that's debatable.

mexican_texan
06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I'll definitely get roasted for saying this, but I think Orlovsky has a chance to push Schaub for the starting spot in a year or two. The guys has some skill, and I think this system will give him a chance to shine.

BTW, don't take this as a criticism of Schaub. IMO, Matt has enough game to take this team to the highest level, if he stays healthy.
There are many facets of Orlovsky's game superior to Schaub's. One of the things that impressed me with him was his ability to let Calvin Johnson be the offense. Despite being the obvious focus on offense, Orlovsky knew how to let Johnson make plays. He's also a bit quicker in his decision making, and arguably makes better decisions.

While Schaub's gotten better at letting AJ be AJ, there's room for improvement. As we've seen, he can be a good NFL QB, but he developed bad habits, partly due to the insufficient pass blocking. The Schaub we saw from the Green Bay game forward will not be supplanted by Orlovsky, but if we see the Schaub that throws one interception after another, there's a slight chance Orlovsky could take over.

BSofA04
06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
After reading the Bears message board, the comments are nearly identical to those when Carr left. Some are happy, so wish him better luck, most are glad he's gone, etc.
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...howThread.aspx
We've been warned that a person with the name JerseyBoy will be coming to our board praising "Texy Rexy" very soon. JerseyBoy is to Grossman as Hulk was to Carr.

Ridiculously funny stuff....http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...downfield.html (warning, extreme vulgar)

So, we know he's throwing it downfield! lmao.

barrett
06-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I would have to agree with the thinking that Rex was not in a QB friendly system in Chicago and was touted to have the skills necissarry to be a talent in this leauge. It's certainly reasonable to sign him for the leauge minimum at this stage and give hime some reps with Kubiak's heavy handed help. It's June. It speaks nothing of the Texans opinion of Orlovsky but speaks volumes of Rick Smith's continued positive action at a reasonable price. I am not a Rex Grossman fan, at all. But I think it is a wise pickup at this price, at this stage of the offseason.

Go Texans.

DiehardChris
06-11-2009, 11:57 PM
After reading the Bears message board, the comments are nearly identical to those when Carr left. Some are happy, so wish him better luck, most are glad he's gone, etc.
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...howThread.aspx
We've been warned that a person with the name JerseyBoy will be coming to our board praising "Texy Rexy" very soon. JerseyBoy is to Grossman as Hulk was to Carr.

Ridiculously funny stuff....http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...downfield.html (warning, extreme vulgar)

So, we know he's throwing it downfield! lmao.

That's ridiculous that they would dog him the way we dogged Carr. You can argue about maybe them winning despite his presence - but the guy was the QB who led that team to a freaking Super Bowl. There should be no comparison to that miserable sap of a loser David Carr.

ObsiWan
06-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Ramsey>Grossman ....

I'm sorry.... how many Super Bowls has Ramsey QB'd in, exactly??

A: Zeee-ROW

But that's neither here nor there, Grossman won't be a Texan on opening day unless Schaub or Dan O. get's hurt in preseason.

Three reasons for this deal:
(1) one more "camp arm"
(2) push Orlovsky just a bit more
(3) in the horrid event that Schaub goes down - either in preseason or reg. season - we have an experienced QB to back up Dan O. who has, at least, had a peek at our offense before we pick up the phone (assuming he doesn't get a job somewhere else after we cut him following T/C).

HouSportsWriter
06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
he signed a 1 year deal $620,000 the min for a 6 year veteren can get

off espn.com

DiehardChris
06-12-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm sorry.... how many Super Bowls has Ramsey QB'd in, exactly??

A: Zeee-ROW

But that's neither here nor there, Grossman won't be a Texan on opening day unless Schaub or Dan O. get's hurt in preseason.

I don't agree with that. If Casey or Dreessen can snatch the long-snapping duties away from Clark Harris, that frees up a roster spot.

If the Texans wanted a camp body with no potential at all to make the roster, they would have signed a guy like Shane Boyd.

ObsiWan
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
A more pressing question is:

How much will Grossman pay Schaub to wear #8?
:hides:
:D

Carr Bombed
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Wait, hold on a second.........did a Titan fan really just come in here and try to run some QB depth smack.

:spit::laughjump:lol:

Seriously, Tenn has one of the worst QB depth charts in the entire league.

Schaub > Collins

Orlovsky > Ramsey

Hell Grossman > than Young (which is completely sad, seriously how much are y'all playing this guy?)

jeff fisher :tearup: Grossman is making the league minimum

BTW Houston already had a shot at Ramsey and said no thanks.

Goldensilence
06-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning Sage, but I'd much rather focus on the job Kubiak did settling Jake Plummer down and getting him to make much better decisions. The season after Kubiak left Plummer imploded.

I can't believe I am going to say this but I'm really hoping Grossman sticks around for the duration of his contract. the team really has been playing chicken with injuries to the QB. I wasn't a big Sage fan but, I couldn't help but hold my breath for another reason when he was on the field and that was the idea of who we had behind him. I hope we can find another position player to fill the longsnapper spot so we can carry a third QB.

I think Dan O is a good backup and will be in a good situation if he's forced to step in. Much as I hear it's a big year for Kubiak, even bigger year for Schaub to prove he can start and finish games (unless the game is out of reach). Another difference between front offices is the decision to break up Matt's contact in two parts.

Goldensilence
06-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Wait, hold on a second.........did a Titan fan really just come in here and try to run some QB depth smack.

:spit::laughjump:lol:

Seriously, Tenn has one of the worst QB depth charts in the entire league.

Schaub > Collins

Orlovsky > Ramsey

Hell Grossman > than Young (which is completely sad, seriously how much are y'all playing this guy?)

jeff fisher :tearup: Grossman is making the league minimum

BTW Houston already had a shot at Ramsey and said no thanks.

So.... technically we've said no thanks to at least two of the current Tenn QBs. Ramsey and VY.

:heh:

mexican_texan
06-12-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't agree with that. If Casey or Dreessen can snatch the long-snapping duties away from Clark Harris, that frees up a roster spot.

If the Texans wanted a camp body with no potential at all to make the roster, they would have signed a guy like Shane Boyd.
It frees up a roster spot, but don't you think we'll carry an extra RB? I hear Darnell Jenkins is looking very good in OTAs, if Jacoby makes the team, we may use that extra spot on him.

Lucky
06-12-2009, 06:38 AM
After reading the Bears message board, the comments are nearly identical to those when Carr left. Some are happy, so wish him better luck, most are glad he's gone, etc...
I'd bet that the comments regarding Grossman on this board mirror the discussion on the Panthers boards when they picked up Carr. "Our coaches can fix him". "He was just on a bad team". Yada-yada.

BTW, BSofA04 - your KSK link is broken.

You know it's the offseason when a debate breaks out on whose 3rd string QB is the best.

HoustonFrog
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM
After listening to LZ this morning and then thinking about the option this actually makes good sense

1) The contract of Orlovsky is not guaranteed so they can cut him and only owe him the signing bonus..from what I heard

2) Competition. Why not push the backups and see who is best. that is why people liked Sage at times..he was serviceable and could win a game..or lose it.:)

3) Grossman is in a league where QBs are at a premium and he hadn't been picked up anywhere. The Texans may sign him, teach him the system and let him go. If he is still out there when/if injuries happen they can pick him back up and he knows the system. Gross man figured this was his best chance to start because of Schaub's history.

4) Grossman has some bad knees so he who knows if he passes the physical

5) Maybe Kubes changed his philiosophy and wants 3 QBs on the game day roster. Maybe he doesn't have faith in what he has seen in Orlovsky.

Personally I like Grossman as a backup. He has won some games and has the arm and attitude to come in and play if needed. He can put up some stinkers but he also can wing it around if needed in a big game. Despite his boneheaded play last year Orlovsky was impressive at times last year. We will see.

eriadoc
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I've tried like 5 times to have an opinion about this thread. About the only one that I can come up with is at the time, when the Bears went to the Super Bowl, I remember saying to everyone after the game that the Bears would have had a chance if they hadn't had David Carr at QB.

nero THE zero
06-12-2009, 08:41 AM
After listening to LZ this morning and then thinking about the option this actually makes good sense

1) The contract of Orlovsky is not guaranteed so they can cut him and only owe him the signing bonus..from what I heard

2) Competition. Why not push the backups and see who is best. that is why people liked Sage at times..he was serviceable and could win a game..or lose it.:)

3) Grossman is in a league where QBs are at a premium and he hadn't been picked up anywhere. The Texans may sign him, teach him the system and let him go. If he is still out there when/if injuries happen they can pick him back up and he knows the system. Gross man figured this was his best chance to start because of Schaub's history.

4) Grossman has some bad knees so he who knows if he passes the physical

5) Maybe Kubes changed his philiosophy and wants 3 QBs on the game day roster. Maybe he doesn't have faith in what he has seen in Orlovsky.

Personally I like Grossman as a backup. He has won some games and has the arm and attitude to come in and play if needed. He can put up some stinkers but he also can wing it around if needed in a big game. Despite his boneheaded play last year Orlovsky was impressive at times last year. We will see.

It's bad ankles that Grossman has. And I actually agreed a lot more with John than I did Lance on the discussion.

The Texans aren't going to cut Orlovsky unless he plays horribly. $2.4M isn't a number you just want to cut away like that.

The chances of us carrying three QB's are greater than the chances of Grossman being our #2, IMO. And the chances of Grossman being cut prior to the season are even greater, IMO.

HoustonFrog
06-12-2009, 08:45 AM
It's bad ankles that Grossman has. And I actually agreed a lot more with John than I did Lance on the discussion.

The Texans aren't going to cut Orlovsky unless he plays horribly. $2.4M isn't a number you just want to cut away like that.

The chances of us carrying three QB's are greater than the chances of Grossman being our #2, IMO. And the chances of Grossman being cut prior to the season are even greater, IMO.

My bad on the injury.

I agree with the rest of what you said. I was just agreeing overall with their reasoning of signing him. The things pointed out make sense. But if Grossman steps up...what's the harm...it isn't like Orlovsky was established nad has a beef with competing for the job. I think the best case scenario is that he learns the system and then is still hanging around out there if needed during the season.

Runner
06-12-2009, 08:45 AM
It frees up a roster spot, but don't you think we'll carry an extra RB? I hear Darnell Jenkins is looking very good in OTAs, if Jacoby makes the team, we may use that extra spot on him.

Given Schaub's history, I'd value a third QB over an extra RB given the option.

I assume Kubiak spends time worrying about Schaub's durability. He has to evaluate and predict that trend into next season and balance it against his history of keeping just two QBs on his roster and that not being a problem.

The decisions made on such details can have little impact on the season if breaks go a team's way. If the breaks go against a team though, the right choice here can make a huge difference.

- Maybe the team misses a game winning field goal on a muffed snap if they don't have a dedicated long snapper.

- Maybe team loses two QBs in the same game or in the course of a couple of games.

- and many other scenarios.

It's a guessing game, but the best a coach can do is look at past history and do his best to project.

BSofA04
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Sorry the last link didn't work...here it is...

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2006/11/f-k-it-im-throwing-it-downfield.html

Warning, extremely vulgar

GP
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
There are many facets of Orlovsky's game superior to Schaub's. One of the things that impressed me with him was his ability to let Calvin Johnson be the offense. Despite being the obvious focus on obvious, Orlovsky knew how to let Johnson make plays. He's also a bit quicker in his decision making, and arguably makes better decisions.

While Schaub's gotten better at letting AJ be AJ, there's room for improvement. As we've seen, he can be a good NFL QB, but he developed bad habits, partly due to the insufficient pass blocking. The Schaub we saw from the Green Bay game forward will not be supplanted by Orlovsky, but if we see the Schaub that throws one interception after another, there's a slight chance Orlovsky could take over.

Had his WRs NOT dropped a lot of passes in that game against us in Reliant, Detroit might have had a better chance of winning that game.

I remember that he has putting the football where it needed to be, but the WRs were not catching the passes. It was pretty bad.

whiskeyrbl
06-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Career stats:

Grossman
ATT COMP PCT. YRDS AVE. TD INT SACK RATING
962 521 54.2 6,164 6.4 33 35 58 70.2

Ramsey
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT

Career 511 913 5930 56.0 6.50 35 30 79 74.9

They are a push with Grossman having the edge having guided his team to the SB.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
What most of you probably don't realize is Grossman's versatility. This could end up being another shrewd move by Smithiak. A recently discovered rare and never before published pic of him at the center position.

http://www.everyjoe.com/squibkick/files/2007/09/rex-grossman-stinks.jpg

TheRealJoker
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Not a Grossman fan by any means but it shows how much we've improved our depth that we might have a QB with Super Bowl starting experience competing for the backup QB job instead of the likes of Bradlee Van Pelt.

If we're hit by the injury bug and Schaub AND Orlovsky go down, we wont be able to find a much better third option than Grossman. Kubes hasn't carried 3 QBs during his tenure here but i'd imagine he'd scale down the offense quite a bit if the top two QBs go down, thus lessening Grossman's impact against the offense.

Plus, our skill players have a knack for making whoever (except HWSNBN) is lining up under center look good since Kubiak has been here.

The Pencil Neck
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Doesn't make much sense to me. My prediction......Grossman will be following Quinn Gray to the USFL.

USFL? Didn't Gray end up going to the Colts as their 3rd?

The Pencil Neck
06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Personally, I can't see how this is anything but improvement.

I'm surprised that Grossman didn't just wait until later in the season to try to land a starting gig after someone gets injured.

But signing an experienced (although seriously flawed) QB to league minimum? How is that a bad thing?

Since day 1, Kubiak has talked about improving the competition. This does that. Even though I don't think Grossman is anything other than a possible 3rd stringer, he's going to be coming in trying to prove something and he's going to be trying to take the 2nd spot from Orlavsky. Brink is going to be fighting for his life. Orlavsky is going to have to step it up to prove he's the 2nd.

And if Kubiak and Shanahan can actually "fix" Grossman, we could be getting a diamond.

And when it's all said and done, we're deeper now at QB than we've ever been.

drewmar74
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
USFL? Didn't Gray end up going to the Colts as their 3rd?

I think he meant UFL or that was a tongue in cheek dig at how he expects the UFL to perform....

And yes, Quinn Gray did sign with the Colts last year but he recently tried out with the UFL.

Here's the skinny on Gray per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Gray):

Houston Texans
On March 24, 2008, the Houston Texans signed Gray to a one-year, $645,000 contract.[1] He was released by the team on June 9.

Indianapolis Colts
With quarterback Peyton Manning out of the early portion of 2008 Training Camp with a knee injury, Gray signed with the Indianapolis Colts.[2] He was released on August 30, 2008.

Kansas City Chiefs
On October 22, 2008, Gray was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs after quarterbacks Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard were placed on injured reserve.[3]

The Chiefs released Gray on March 11, 2009.

Here's some interesting fodder.... a graph showing Bad Rex / Good Rex's QB rating during the 2006 season. Someone earlier mentioned that he's consistently inconsistent. That's about right.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Rgrossmanstats2006.png

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
It's bad ankles that Grossman has.

My bad on the injury.

You're both correct. 2004-right knee (anterior cruciate ligament surgery); 2005-left ankle fracture; 2007-left knee (severe medial collateral ligament sprain).

Despite these injuries, he has been able to maintain descent mobility. But his mobility compromise is mostly due to his knees.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
IMO, Grossman isn't a very good QB. I'm not sure what this signing is for other than an extra arm and maybe a little competition. I was always under the impression that Kubiak liked smart, calm, cool and collected QB's while standing in the pocket. Grossman is the polar opposite. He Carr's out in the pocket, but instead of running out of bounds behind the LOS he'll fire a bullet in to the chest of a LB. He's pretty good at fumbling too, so he's got that going for him.

IMO, he's too big of a project. Even for Kubiak.

nero THE zero
06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
You're both correct. 2004-right knee (anterior cruciate ligament surgery); 2005-left ankle fracture; 2007-left knee (severe medial collateral ligament sprain).

Despite these injuries, he has been able to maintain descent mobility. But his mobility compromise is mostly due to his knees.

I was just saying that LZ was commenting on his ankles, not his knees

beerlover
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Texans are finding ways to compete, in this case he is simply camp fodder:

KEEP SCHAUB HEALTHY
CONNOR BARWIN PINATA
FUTURE TRADE CONSIDERATIONS

beerlover
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM

& funny as hell too :specnatz:

bckey
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
That is a lot of money for camp competition. I don't like Grossman at all. He played absolutely horrible in some games. Very inconsistant so you never know what you are going to get game to game.

Gray looks like he has mastered the art of easy camp money.

wags
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2006/11/f-k-it-im-throwing-it-downfield.html

I love this part...

Yeah, I see Jones open on the flank. But fu*k that. Dumpoff passes are for fag$ots.

Throw it deep Rex, throw it deep.

disaacks3
06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised that Grossman didn't just wait until later in the season to try to land a starting gig after someone gets injured.

Signing with the Texans NOW puts food on the table this minute. Plus, if the Texans retain him & Schaub stays healthy - we can always deal him for draft picks.

win-win!

Polo
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
IMO, Grossman isn't a very good QB. I'm not sure what this signing is for other than an extra arm and maybe a little competition. I was always under the impression that Kubiak liked smart, calm, cool and collected QB's while standing in the pocket. Grossman is the polar opposite. He Carr's out in the pocket, but instead of running out of bounds behind the LOS he'll fire a bullet in to the chest of a LB. He's pretty good at fumbling too, so he's got that going for him.

IMO, he's too big of a project. Even for Kubiak.

I disagree.

Grossman didn't have the weapons or the offensive system in Chicago that he'll have here in Houston. This is a very QB friendly system. In this system you don't have to have the most talented players to do well. You just need guys who can understand the concept of how the scheme works.

I never got the feeling while watching Grossman that he wasn't good while standing in the pocket. I think Grossman is MUCH better than David Carr. To me, Grossman made a bunch of bad decisions, but I never got the feeling that he was jittery in the pocket...

Besides that, you could kind of say the same thing about Dan O...If anyone gets nervous and loses their bearings on the field under pressure it's probably him...But I don't put much stock in that either...

I think that Brink was not providing enough competition for Dan O and they feel like Grossman will provide more of a push...I don't think the Texans really have any expectations and are moreso throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Honestly, I think people will be a little surprised at what he brings to the table...

badboy
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I think bringing Danny O in and giving him a decent contract pumped him up. He is in a great position with a QB training head coach, no pressure behind a steady starter and he knows he should get some game time and maybe even be the man if Schaub goes out.
Reminds me of when the Rockets traded Alston and told Brooks they believed he could be their guy. Brooks had a great ending to the season. Now, Texans bring in a so-so QB and tell O maybe they are not too sure of him after all. I just don't think in this specific situation, I want Orslovsky looking over his shoulder. I want him focused on being the guy to go to.

Grossman was the Qb for a team that went to SB. Not sure how much credit he should get for getting team there. This is another time I bow to Smith's expertise.

Polo
06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Now, Texans bring in a so-so QB and tell O maybe they are not too sure of him after all. I just don't think in this specific situation, I want Orslovsky looking over his shoulder. I want him focused on being the guy to go to

I don't think they have really lost any faith in Orlovsky as the back-up to Schaub.

Just like I don't think they have lost any faith in Bulman being a back up D-lineman or Zach Diles or Adibi being a backup LB...

That doesn't mean that they won't bring in guys to push them harder though...

I think that on a football team it is only natural to keep brininging in competition in hopes of challenging the players which in turn should make the team better as a whole...

ChampionTexan
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Signing with the Texans NOW puts food on the table this minute. Plus, if the Texans retain him & Schaub stays healthy - we can always deal him for draft picks.

win-win!

Not if he doesn't make the roster. He gets like $500/week in preseason, and if they decide not to put him on the 53 man roster, he won't see a dime of that $620,000 veterans minimum.

badboy
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think they have really lost any faith in Orlovsky as the back-up to Schaub.

Just like I don't think they have lost any faith in Bulman being a back up D-lineman or Zach Diles or Adibi being a backup LB...

That doesn't mean that they won't bring in guys to push them harder though...

I think that on a football team it is only natural to keep brininging in competition in hopes of challenging the players which in turn should make the team better as a whole...
Let me clarify that to Orslovsky it could appear the coaches are not as high on him. Not saying O is a prima donna, but I just don't get this move. If the went to O and said "hey, we are going to polish the guy and dump him during the season", then ok. Usually, I am ok with competition but see it maybe more as a negative with this move. Let's not forget that nobody wanted Grossman for training camp arm.

Malloy
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM

If you like that stuff, check out 'Eastbound and down', I know I love em both :)

sbalderrama
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't know what there is to "get". Grossman is cheap, has shown flashes of competence as well as flashes of dumb in his career, as would any other backup out there, and will provide competition to DanO as the backup QB. It's not like DanO has proven anything yet either, and there is at least a chance Kubes will carry three QB's. Don't we want DanO competing for his job too? Hell, maybe Grossman gets over the brain farts and challenges Schauby; competition is not a bad thing.

badboy
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't know what there is to "get". Grossman is cheap, has shown flashes of competence as well as flashes of dumb in his career, as would any other backup out there, and will provide competition to DanO as the backup QB. It's not like DanO has proven anything yet either, and there is at least a chance Kubes will carry three QB's. Don't we want DanO competing for his job too? Hell, maybe Grossman gets over the brain farts and challenges Schauby; competition is not a bad thing.There is a lot to "get". Starting with Grossman sitting out there trying to get some team to take a chance. If he had much of anything to offer, teams would have been knocking on his door. Could he turn into a draft pick? Sure but just as easily be another Gray. Orslovsky is not a travis johnson needing someone to push him. Besides, O will be stretching to over take Schaub and should not need a push from another QB. Sometimes, competition may not be a good thing. Orslovsky does not need anything to motivate him that he did not already have.

TEXANRED
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I think this signing shows the respect around the league players have for Kubiak and his ability to coach QB's. With two HOF'ers already on his resume', Jake Plummer's rise back to respectablility, Rosencopter showing starting potential, and Schaub looking like the real deal when he can stay healthy.

Carr Being his only real failure and you just can't polish a turd.

Grossman probably envisions this as a chance to come in and learn from one of the top QB minds in the league. Why else would a starting QB over the last 3 years come in to be a third stinger for a one year contract for 700k?

OzzO
06-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Everything else has been said, but per Johnny "food and movie" Mac (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6472219.html)...

...Grossman will join Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky and Alex Brink as quarterbacks on the roster. Coach Gary Kubiak plans to keep three on the roster this season....

badboy
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I think this signing shows the respect around the league players have for Kubiak and his ability to coach QB's. With two HOF'ers already on his resume', Jake Plummer's rise back to respectablility, Rosencopter showing starting potential, and Schaub looking like the real deal when he can stay healthy.

Grossman probably envisions this as a chance to come in and learn from one of the top QB minds in the league. Why else would a starting QB over the last 3 years come in to be a third stinger for a one year contract for 700k?I wonder if "No one wants me" had anything to do with his decision?

HoustonFrog
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Grossman probably envisions this as a chance to come in and learn from one of the top QB minds in the league. Why else would a starting QB over the last 3 years come in to be a third stinger for a one year contract for 700k?

ORRRR Maybe because he wants to start some and no one in the league is really beating down his door. This is a chance to come in and try and play on a team where the QB is known to get hurt.

RipTraxx
06-12-2009, 01:17 PM
This just screams that Orlovsky isnt progressing like he should be. And being that brink is fairly young, Kubiak just isnt comfortable with giving Brink the keys to the Rolls if Schaub goes down which is a distinct possiblity...

badboy
06-12-2009, 01:22 PM
This just screams that Orlovsky isnt progressing like he should be. And being that brink is fairly young, Kubiak just isnt comfortable with giving Brink the keys to the Rolls if Schaub goes down which is a distinct possiblity...It screams to me that Kube's may be having "game clock managment" issue again. Not too sure if Schaub will stay healthy (ok that is a good question). Maybe O is doing ok (nothing anyone has actually noticed has been reported anywhere, but Kube's isn't too sure if he should throw the challenge flag, so he sign's a vet player that might have a game or two left in him. That has been done before by Gary.

BSofA04
06-12-2009, 01:36 PM
If you like that stuff, check out 'Eastbound and down', I know I love em both :)
Funny that you mention that because I have the first series on my DVR. Kenny Powers! Good stuff.

BeatDaTitans
06-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Honestly!!!! Why Grossman? he is terrible.....he is so 3rd string!!!!

Carr Bombed
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Honestly!!!! Why Grossman? he is terrible.....he is so 3rd string!!!!

Umm.....I think that's what he was signed for??? Who else do you expect to sign to be a third stringer this time of year? All the quality QBs and backups are off the market.

Joe Texan
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
May the best man win the competition

Mike Kerns
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Ill take Rex over Patrick Ramsey.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Grossman just officially signed. A Rosenhaus twitter. LINK (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/06/its_official_rex_grossman_sign.html)

JWarren14
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Grossman has Super Bowl Experience which no QB on our roster has. He had his ups and downs, but playing in Chicago is tough on any QB. You have the weather which makes it tough to throw the ball and the WR corp wasn't that great.

In the Super Bowl the two top WR were Bernard Berrian and Mushin Muhammad. The Bears offense has been in the bottom half of the league. Could that have been part Grossman? Sure. Could it have been part of the WR group? Yup. Could it have been part of an average at best RB group? Maybe.

We signed the guy to a 1 year minimum deal. He has played for a franchise who was in the Super Bowl and Playoffs in the past 5 years. He knows what it takes to get to the ultimate goal of any team. QBs who started in a Super Bowl signing a 1 year deal for the league minimum are hardly ever seen especially considering he was just there in '07.

I don't agree 100% with the signing, but I don't see it as an awfully bad thing either. This is the prototypical "meh" offseason move. We have a damn good offense with a plethora of weapons so I don't think he will be as bad as he was in Chicago if somehow he gets on the field in the regular season. Until September 13th I have no complaints.

badboy
06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Grossman has Super Bowl Experience which no QB on our roster has. He had his ups and downs, but playing in Chicago is tough on any QB. You have the weather which makes it tough to throw the ball and the WR corp wasn't that great.

In the Super Bowl the two top WR were Bernard Berrian and Mushin Muhammad. The Bears offense has been in the bottom half of the league. Could that have been part Grossman? Sure. Could it have been part of the WR group? Yup. Could it have been part of an average at best RB group? Maybe.

We signed the guy to a 1 year minimum deal. He has played for a franchise who was in the Super Bowl and Playoffs in the past 5 years. He knows what it takes to get to the ultimate goal of any team. QBs who started in a Super Bowl signing a 1 year deal for the league minimum are hardly ever seen especially considering he was just there in '07.

I don't agree 100% with the signing, but I don't see it as an awfully bad thing either. This is the prototypical "meh" offseason move. We have a damn good offense with a plethora of weapons so I don't think he will be as bad as he was in Chicago if somehow he gets on the field in the regular season. Until September 13th I have no complaints.Do you see this signing negatively effecting Orslovsky in any way? I just really like this guy and think he can become a very good QB and maybe sooner than later. I know competition is part of the business, I just see it as a negative for our #2.

GuerillaBlack
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Rex Grossman will be a nice backup for us. He filled in for a few games last year I think for Orton and did fine.

False Start
06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
A more pressing question is:

How much will Grossman pay Schaub to wear #8?
:hides:
:D

Hes wearing # 5. The more competition the better it cant hurt, lets see whet he can do.

TheRealJoker
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I dont see this as an indictment of Orlovsky at all. If anything, its competition for Alex Brink to decide who is going to be our # 3 QB...if neither stand out Kubes will go back to two QBs on the roster.

The # 2 job is Orlovsky's to lose.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Grossman probably still has a couple of pennies left over from last year. His one-year 2008 contract with the Bears was worth $3 million, including a signing bonus, half of which was guaranteed. He was also given the opportunity of earning just short of $2 million more in performances incentives. All quite a step down to this year's contract.

JWarren14
06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you see this signing negatively effecting Orslovsky in any way? I just really like this guy and think he can become a very good QB and maybe sooner than later. I know competition is part of the business, I just see it as a negative for our #2.

I don't see it negatively effecting Orlovsky. He signed a 3 year deal where Grossman signed a 1 year deal. We are invested in Dan to be the number 2 guy. If anything it just creates more competition and another safety net in case Matt gets hurt and Dan is incapable. I really don't think Brink is worthy of a 3rd string position at this point, I know if it came down to it and I had to chose between Brink and Grossman I would have to go with Rex. Hell the Raiders just signed Frye to put their roster at 6 deep @ QB when they have a lot more needs at other positions. Dan will continue to develop and right now is the #2 guy.

It's not negative in any way for Dan, until he starts sucking, which only the coaches will be able to tell as the only time we will see him is in the preseason....*knock on wood*

bckey
06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Not if he doesn't make the roster. He gets like $500/week in preseason, and if they decide not to put him on the 53 man roster, he won't see a dime of that $620,000 veterans minimum.

If that is true then I have no problem bringing Grossman in.

Fox
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Should make watching the 3rd string offense more interesting this preseason. Throw it deep!

KMG 365
06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Turnoversaurus Rex will wear jersey #5.

mexican_texan
06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Ah, honoring the legendary Quinton Porter I see.

BSofA04
06-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Turnoversaurus Rex will wear jersey #5.

F- it. He's going deep no matter what he's wearing.

TimeKiller
06-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Do not want

DBCooper
06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
The sad thing is that I do not believe Schaub will make an entire season. We needed depth. If Kubiak can calm Rex down, he could be a decent QB. Rather have Rex than Rosencopter or Sausage Boy.

spurstexanstros
06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow I am surprised how many people were happy to have Orlovsky as our back up and are down on the Grossman signing. Grossman is by far better than Orlovsky. I think it is great to have a back up with a big arm. I like this, I for one was not comfortable with Orlovsky as our insurance plan.

NitroGSXR
06-13-2009, 01:47 PM

It's real simple? It's still 700k! Not too many other jobs pay 700k a year. Just like David Carr signed with the Giants and Panthers knowing he'll never take the job away from Delhomme or Manning. It's a substantial paycheck even at league minimum. I'd take it.

TimeKiller
06-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Wow I am surprised how many people were happy to have Orlovsky as our back up and are down on the Grossman signing. Grossman is by far better than Orlovsky. I think it is great to have a back up with a big arm. I like this, I for one was not comfortable with Orlovsky as our insurance plan.

Does it help if I say I wasn't thrilled with Orlovsky either?

QB depth took a hit losing Sage but CB depth was improved because of it. I think Schaub is aware that he needs to be out there all year for this team to move onward and upward. Can't expect it until it happens once though right? I think he'll have a decent shot this year if the running game takes another step forward but I can't see how it will be his fault again if Jared Allen is taking more cheap shots at him during the MNF. Being tough won't protect you from dirty players.

dalemurphy
06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
It's real simple? It's still 700k! Not too many other jobs pay 700k a year. Just like David Carr signed with the Giants and Panthers knowing he'll never take the job away from Delhomme or Manning. It's a substantial paycheck even at league minimum. I'd take it.

I think the question isn't, "why would he take the minimum?", but "why would he take the minimum to play for the Texans?" I think it is much more likely that he was excited to play and learn under Kubiak than no other NFL team would offer him the same deal.

pbat488
06-13-2009, 03:17 PM
QB depth took a hit losing Sage but CB depth was improved because of it.

Is this in the sense of we got Glover Quin (even though we took him with our actual pick) or in the sense of since we no longer have Sage pretty much delivering balls right to the CBs in practice, they have to step up and learn to cover better? :thinking:

ArlingtonTexan
06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5335

Rex Grossman had planned to spend the weekend relaxing with his family in the Midwest, but a call from the Texans sent him in a different direction. Grossman, a 29-year-old free agent, flew to Houston and signed a deal with the team on Friday.

“I have been a free agent now for a couple of months,” Grossman said. “There have been some teams that I almost went to, but it didn’t happen. A couple of days ago, actually, I got a call from my agent (Drew Rosenhaus) that Houston was interested and that coach (Gary) Kubiak would be calling.

“I didn’t expect anything for a couple of days. I went home to Indianapolis and on my flight, I guess, the whole deal got done. As soon as I landed in Indianapolis, I was a Houston Texan.”

“I’m going to be a good soldier, but at the same time, I am going to compete and do the best I can... I am just going to get in the mix and see where I fit in.” - Rex GrossmanA former first-round pick, Grossman spent six seasons with the Chicago Bears. He appeared in 36 career games with 31 starts. During his career, he has compiled a 19-12 record (.593) as a starter and led the Bears to Super Bowl XLI after the 2006 season and also brought Chicago to the playoffs in 2005.

“I feel like I can throw the ball deep and make plays,” Grossman said. “That’s really what I want to do. I’d like to think that when called upon, I can make big plays and do my job.”

The Texans have quarterback Matt Schaub as their starter and signed former Detroit Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky to a deal during the offseason. Grossman will compete with Orlovsky and Alex Brink for backup duties.

“I’m going to be a good soldier, but at the same time, I am going to compete and do the best I can,” Grossman said. “They’ve got their starter and they brought in Dan Orlovsky. I am just going to get in the mix and see where I fit in.”
Grossman threw for 6,164 yards and 33 touchdowns during his NFL career. His best season came in 2006 when he threw for 3,193 yards, second most in Bears history. He passed for 23 touchdowns that season on his way to leading Chicago to the NFC North division title and a berth in the Super Bowl. He started all 16 regular-season games that season, becoming the first Bears quarterback to do so since 1995.

Grossman was selected with the 22nd overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft from the University of Florida, where he finished among the all-time passing leaders in school history. He ranks third with 9,164 passing yards and second with 77 touchdowns passes. Grossman finished as the 2001 Heisman Trophy runner-up and was voted the Associated Press Player of the Year after his senior campaign.

infantrycak
06-13-2009, 07:35 PM

Far better? - ok. Not sure what the measuring stick was. In any event, Orlovsky has a big arm already. That isn't a significant upgrade.

HoustonFrog
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I think the question isn't, "why would he take the minimum?", but "why would he take the minimum to play for the Texans?" I think it is much more likely that he was excited to play and learn under Kubiak than no other NFL team would offer him the same deal.

I think much of it, and this was discussed earlier, has to do with what team will you have a chance to play for more than learning from Kubes. From the quote above, he didn't even really know much about the negotiations. You won't go to backup a guy like Manning because there is no chance to play. You might get some play when you are on a team where the starter is quality but missed 3-4 games a year. Nothing against Schaub, just looking at it from their perspective.

thunderkyss
06-13-2009, 11:18 PM
i'm going to try to pick Grossman up in my fantasy league..... 15th, 16th round or so.

If anything happens to Matt, and Grossman gets the nod...... bwahahahahahahahaha..

AJ, KDub, OD.... it's going to be a great day.

Maddict5
06-14-2009, 06:15 AM
i'm going to try to pick Grossman up in my fantasy league..... 15th, 16th round or so.

If anything happens to Matt, and Grossman gets the nod...... bwahahahahahahahaha..

AJ, KDub, OD.... it's going to be a great day.

can i be in your league? :)

SheTexan
06-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Hummmmm! I've read every page of this thread, just to get a feel of what you guys think, and I've come to my own conclusion. It's real simple. Kubiak has his reasons for doing what he does, and not a member of this board is very good at second guessing him. He knows something we don't, PERIOD! We can debate that issue until this time next year, but, the fact remains, there's a damn good reason for this signing and none of us know what it is. Who knows! Maybe there's a "friendship" bond somewhere along the line that none of us know about. Kubes does take care of his friends ya know.

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Just an observation going back to looking at some Bears film. Grossman, because his poor OL offering him no true pocket protection, was forever hurriedly backing up and backing up way too far and too often not to have affected his accuracy. Add to that the constant "target" pressure of a poor running game and less than stellar receiver reliability, it would also have had to adversly affected his decision making, not knowing who he could rely on as the "safety valve." Kubiak and Gibbs could feel that they can build him into being a Texans "system" QB.

TimeKiller
06-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Grossman was available when Orlovsky was signed correct? Why now? Why at all? Why not Alex Brink, someone we've already invested in?

DO NOT WANT

thunderkyss
06-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Grossman was available when Orlovsky was signed correct? Why now? Why at all? Why not Alex Brink, someone we've already invested in?

DO NOT WANT

Good question. The only answer I can think of, is like others have been saying.
Something about Dan O isn't clicking. Whether he's not picking up the system, he's not getting along in the locker room, or he's nigh uncoachable, etc.......

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2009, 11:33 AM

DO NOT WANT

Grossman is a third stringer who's been signed for league minimum. He's almost definitely better than Brink. He's definitely more experienced and he's almost definitely more talented.

He may not make it out of training camp. It's no big financial hit if he doesn't.

So why not take a shot on him? I mean, it's league minimum. It's a no-lose situation. If we bring him in and he is teh suck, then he's gone with no loss to us. If we bring him in and he's salvageable, if all his suckiness was because of improper coaching or being in a bad situation, then we could have something great.

IF, as some people have said, Kubiak wants 3 experienced QB's on the roster instead of his normal 2 because of the scares we've had the past couple of seasons, then this makes perfect sense.

To me, this is not a knock on Orlavsky. This is a possibly a knock on Brink.

Let's face it, having Grossman as our 3rd is a lot better than Nall or Van Pelt.

disaacks3
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Grossman is a third stringer who's been signed for league minimum. He's almost definitely better than Brink. He's definitely more experienced and he's almost definitely more talented.

He may not make it out of training camp. It's no big financial hit if he doesn't.

So why not take a shot on him? I mean, it's league minimum. It's a no-lose situation. If we bring him in and he is teh suck, then he's gone with no loss to us. If we bring him in and he's salvageable, if all his suckiness was because of improper coaching or being in a bad situation, then we could have something great.

IF, as some people have said, Kubiak wants 3 experienced QB's on the roster instead of his normal 2 because of the scares we've had the past couple of seasons, then this makes perfect sense.

To me, this is not a knock on Orlavsky. This is a possibly a knock on Brink.

Let's face it, having Grossman as our 3rd is a lot better than Nall or Van Pelt. *DING* I'm with ya'! I can't get over the amount of bellyaching going on over a VET who's playing for league minimum. The only possible complaint I could see is if you think he's taking "valuable reps" from another player.

sbalderrama
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
If I remember correctly Grossman was considered for the backup role at the same time Orlovsky was. He probably overpriced himself and it took this long for Rex to figure out his worth is not what he thought it was.

badboy
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Now I lay me down to sleep. Dear Lord keep Matt Schaub on His feet. If I should die before I wake, please make sure St Peter has this digital tv thingy worked out by first game.

TimeKiller
06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I think the book is pretty well out on Grossman by now. He sucks.

Use that little 700 thou to up OD's contract or something...If he's only a camp arm, my god, can't Brink even be a camp arm? Did we use a 7th on a QB who can't even throw? I guess that's the part that irks me the most....

...no wait...

It's the bottom feeder. That's irks me the most.

FirstTexansFan
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Now I lay me down to sleep. Dear Lord keep Matt Schaub on His feet. If I should die before I wake, please make sure St Peter has this digital tv thingy worked out by first game.

Must spread rep...yada yada Very funny! ;)

ObsiWan
06-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Should make watching the 3rd string offense more interesting this preseason. Throw it deep!

At least Rex won't underthrow open receivers like I've seen Schaub do.
yeah, I said it out loud. Our starter now has the 3rd weakest arm on our squad.
you know I'm right.
:stirpot:

ObsiWan
06-16-2009, 01:46 AM

DO NOT WANT

two words: weak arm

Mari-OWNED!
06-16-2009, 04:29 AM

Joe Montana had a "weak arm," so what's your point? I don't understand why everybody thinks your quarterback has to have a cannon arm, or he will not succeed in the NFL. Sure it can help, but it is by no means necessary.

thunderkyss
06-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Joe Montana had a "weak arm," so what's your point? I don't understand why everybody thinks your quarterback has to have a cannon arm, or he will not succeed in the NFL. Sure it can help, but it is by no means necessary.

I think it's just a preference thing, not a "felt" requirement. Some guys like their running backs to be able to outrun everyone on the field. I like my running back to be able to run over everybody on the field.

To each his own.

badboy
06-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I think it's just a preference thing, not a "felt" requirement. Some guys like their running backs to be able to outrun everyone on the field. I like my running back to be able to run over everybody on the field.

To each his own.Earl Campbell vs Walter Payton eh?

The Pencil Neck
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
At least Rex won't underthrow open receivers like I've seen Schaub do.
yeah, I said it out loud. Our starter now has the 3rd weakest arm on our squad.
you know I'm right.
:stirpot:

You know that Kubiak's big thing is to NEVER EVER overthrow guys, right? That was one of Kubiak's things that he was going to "fix" with HWWNBN. Kubes believes that overthrown balls are picked off more than underthrown balls.

I'm not disagreeing that Orlavsky and Grossman don't have stronger arms but I wouldn't get on Schaub too bad for underthrowing guys.

TimeKiller
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Even for camp? He's too weak for camp?

WTF did we waste a 7th on that guy for then?

ObsiWan
06-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Two points:
(a) I never said a QB HAS to have a "cannon arm". In fact, I just said Schaub has the third weakest arm on our current roster. Yet, he's the starter because of his demonstrated decision-making and leadership ability. NFL history is littered with the remains of "cannon-armed" QBs that failed in those other, far more important, catagories.

(b) You probably shouldn't infer that Alex Brink and Joe Montana belong in the same sentence.

ObsiWan
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Even for camp? He's too weak for camp?

WTF did we waste a 7th on that guy for then?

If you go back and look at the draft day thread in 2008, some folk were wondering that very thing. After a bit of back-&-forth, we decided that Kube tends to keep tinker-QB that he can try and "rebuild".

Carr Bombed
06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Schaub has a "good enough arm"......his arm is strong enough to make just about every throw that he needs to make on the field, it's not like he's Chad Pennington out there.

However Alex Brink's arm is like a wet noodle.......I still don't know why we drafted that guy. Atleast it was just a 7th round pick.....Charlie would've drafted him in the 3rd round "Dave Ragone" style.

76Texan
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Schaub has a "good enough arm"......his arm is strong enough to make just about every throw that he needs to make on the field, it's not like he's Chad Pennington out there.

However Alex Brink's arm is like a wet noodle.......I still don't know why we drafted that guy. Atleast it was just a 7th round pick.....Charlie would've drafted him in the 3rd round "Dave Ragone" style.
CDSDraft:
Brink has always been a strong-armed quarterback who can sling it on the outside. Has a strong enough arm to make throws on the run from either direction.

Footbalsfutures:
Brink is an underrated prospect. He has all the tools to develop into a quality NFL quarterback. He has a good arm, and can make every throw. He shows good touch on the football, and has continued to improve his accuracy every season in college. He is tough, will sit in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the football.

Draftinsiders:
Alex Brink - 6-2, 210 - 4.90 - Washington St
Underrated prospect displays a live arm with good size and instincts for the position. He looked sharp in the drills at the NFL Combine.

Carr Bombed
06-16-2009, 03:13 PM
CDSDraft:
Brink has always been a strong-armed quarterback who can sling it on the outside. Has a strong enough arm to make throws on the run from either direction.

Footbalsfutures:
Brink is an underrated prospect. He has all the tools to develop into a quality NFL quarterback. He has a good arm, and can make every throw. He shows good touch on the football, and has continued to improve his accuracy every season in college. He is tough, will sit in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the football.

Draftinsiders:
Alex Brink - 6-2, 210 - 4.90 - Washington St
Underrated prospect displays a live arm with good size and instincts for the position. He looked sharp in the drills at the NFL Combine.

I don't know what QB these people were watching.....the one I saw in camp last season definitely didn't have a "live arm" LOL.

76Texan
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't know what QB these people were watching.....the one I saw in camp last season definitely didn't have a "live arm" LOL.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80738359/2008-Combine-Alex-Brink

Notice on one play, he dropped back 5 yds, and threw a 43 yd pass (48 yd in the air) without winding up.

That should be plenty enough in the WCO.

I had mentioned last year that he didn't have a "CANNON" of an arm, but plenty strong enough for this offense.

ObsiWan
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

Agreed. Schaub's "good enough" arm combined with his leadership and decision-making are enough to make him a quality starter. Rex has a strong arm but, I think we'd all agree that his decision-making needs work. DanO has a strong arm but the other two qualities are under development.

Vinny
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Joe Montanna had a "good enough" arm too. He turned out kinda good.

TheRealJoker
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Arm strength is not even top 3 when looking at QBs imo. Probably the most overrated attribute in all of sports and has gotten many players drafted way higher than they should've been.

Drew Brees is yet another example of a guy with a noodle arm who is one hell of a QB because he has the top 3 attributes imo:

1) Decision making: Will he choose the right target? Will he make the right adjustments presnap and properly read the defense? Will he avoid the rush in the pocket while still reading the defense and making the correct decision without getting sacked? This is by far the most important attribute a QB can have. This is what allows a guy like Joe Montana who had average physical attributes to be great. This is also the hardest attribute to find on film and that's why a guy like Tom Brady can last 6 rounds before being drafted.

2) Accuracy: Can he put the ball on the numbers? Can he hit the WR in stride? Jeff George could throw the ball a mile but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

3) Release: Players talk about how difficult it is to sack Peyton Manning. Obviously he's got number 1 down pat but one common thing you hear from players is, "He gets rid of the ball very quick." If it takes you too long to get rid of the ball like Byron Leftwich you're gonna be taking lots of unnecessary hits and also making lots of errant throws.

I didn't put leadership on the top 3 list because to be quite honest I think that's overrated. QBs are the defacto leader of the football team and for good reason, but if you dont have the above skills nobody on the field is going to follow you.

Trail.Blazr
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Just an observation going back to looking at some Bears film. Grossman, because his poor OL offering him no true pocket protection, was forever hurriedly backing up and backing up way too far and too often not to have affected his accuracy. Add to that the constant "target" pressure of a poor running game and less than stellar receiver reliability, it would also have had to adversly affected his decision making, not knowing who he could rely on as the "safety valve." Kubiak and Gibbs could feel that they can build him into being a Texans "system" QB.

That's what I'm hoping to make at the very least a healthy QB competion at camp. What's more, to take that to another angle on Shaub... If I look at stats of W/L and QB ratings comparing Schaub and Rosenfels during their time at Houston as well as prior, you'll see comparable numbers. Minus some meltdown moments, I hate think of them as comparable, as I definately prefer seeing Matt under center, but who can look at the numbers and say one is obviously much better than the other?

... does Rex have a good opportunity, or what to come from a system sorely lacking the tools that he'll now be in competetion to play with? With the points that CloakNNNdagger makes, I am very interested in the possibilities he has in a far QB friendlier offense. Definately worthy of a look.

Good pickup

ObsiWan
06-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Joe Montanna had a "good enough" arm too. He turned out kinda good.

It didn't hurt him to have a Jerry Rice who could take his 5-10 yd dump-offs to the house now did it?
A.J. is a beast, but he ain't Jerry Rice.

...why am I arguing this?
I already said:
(a) Schaub's most important qualities are his leadership and decision-making.
and
(b) the NFL is littered with the remains of strong-armed QBs who didn't have the two main qualities

ObsiWan
06-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Arm strength is not even top 3 when looking at QBs imo. Probably the most overrated attribute in all of sports and has gotten many players drafted way higher than they should've been.

Drew Brees is yet another example of a guy with a noodle arm who is one hell of a QB because he has the top 3 attributes imo:

1) Decision making: Will he choose the right target? Will he make the right adjustments presnap and properly read the defense? Will he avoid the rush in the pocket while still reading the defense and making the correct decision without getting sacked? This is by far the most important attribute a QB can have. This is what allows a guy like Joe Montana who had average physical attributes to be great. This is also the hardest attribute to find on film and that's why a guy like Tom Brady can last 6 rounds before being drafted.

2) Accuracy: Can he put the ball on the numbers? Can he hit the WR in stride? Jeff George could throw the ball a mile but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

3) Release: Players talk about how difficult it is to sack Peyton Manning. Obviously he's got number 1 down pat but one common thing you hear from players is, "He gets rid of the ball very quick." If it takes you too long to get rid of the ball like Byron Leftwich you're gonna be taking lots of unnecessary hits and also making lots of errant throws.

I didn't put leadership on the top 3 list because to be quite honest I think that's overrated. QBs are the defacto leader of the football team and for good reason, but if you dont have the above skills nobody on the field is going to follow you.

That's because if you don't have at least two of those three qualities (and I'm going with your first two as most critical) you have absolutely no business being on the field as a starting NFL QB.

oh and this...
Will he avoid the rush in the pocket while still reading the defense and making the correct decision without getting sacked?
...isn't decision making. It's Mobility. That's a separate, but also very important, quality. It's how that damned Roethlisberger won the Super Bowl.

TheRealJoker
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
oh and this...

...isn't decision making. It's Mobility. That's a separate, but also very important, quality. It's how that damned Roethlisberger won the Super Bowl.

Gotta disagree with you there. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady aren't the most mobile QBs in the league but they manage to take a step or two out of the way to let the Olineman recover their block and give them extra time to throw the ball. That there thingy is "pocket presence".

Historically the most "mobile" QBs are the ones that usually take the most punishment because they know since they can run that its always an option...lots of times not even finishing their checkdowns before thinking of running.

infantrycak
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
A.J. is a beast, but he ain't Jerry Rice.

Jerry is one of those players who nobody is until they surpass him and yet at the same time AJ is every bit as talented and special.

There are two facets to movement in the pocket. One is awareness (I would call it that instead of decision making because it is almost instinctual rather than conscious) and mobility. Carr was mobile with no instincts = sucks. Manning is virtually a statue with fantastic awareness = great in the pocket. Schaub is not fleet of foot but has enough mobility and has demonstrated pocket awareness when there has been a pocket.

GP
06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Jerry is one of those players who nobody is until they surpass him and yet at the same time AJ is every bit as talented and special.

There are two facets to movement in the pocket. One is awareness (I would call it that instead of decision making because it is almost instinctual rather than conscious) and mobility. Carr was mobile with no instincts = sucks. Manning is virtually a statue with fantastic awareness = great in the pocket. Schaub is not fleet of foot but has enough mobility and has demonstrated pocket awareness when there has been a pocket.

I am split on whether Schaub has pocket awareness. He improved in the last half of the season, but up until then...I didn't think he was becoming aware of the pressure until it was too late.

Now, that might have been due to him trying to stand in the pocket TOO long and trying TOO hard to make something happen. In short: He was aware, but he blocked it out and tried to stand and deliver anyway.

It seemed like the last half of the season, especially in the Green Bay game, he was making slight side-steps, stepping up a foot or so, and generally getting the ball away in enough time to avoid getting hit.

Maybe the guy really did hit a new level last season.

infantrycak
06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I am split on whether Schaub has pocket awareness. He improved in the last half of the season, but up until then...I didn't think he was becoming aware of the pressure until it was too late.

I almost added something about Schaub deciding to take shots and I guess I should have. There is no doubt in my mind Schaub has awareness, but he absolutely decides to hang and take shots at times. Kubiak alluded to this recently with a comment about Schaub needing to learn to let plays go sometimes.

Hooston Texan
06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
That's because if you don't have at least two of those three qualities (and I'm going with your first two as most critical) you have absolutely no business being on the field as a starting NFL QB.

oh and this...

Mobility, like arm-strength is a sexy attribute that doesn't always translate to effective QB play. Heck, it doesn't usually translate into avoiding sacks.

Before trading himself to the Levenworth All-Stars, Michael Vick was one of the most-sacked QBs in the league. David Carr was, as we all know, in a class by himself, but Vick was no slouch: he was downed 187 times in 75 games for Atlanta. During his last three years, Atlanta was consistently in the bottom half of the league in total sacks allowed (7th most in 2006, 15th most in 2005 and fifth most in 2004) despite rarely throwing the ball.

And whose all-time single-season "get sacked" record did Carr break? Randall Cunningham in his second season. It wasn't until he developed a feel for the pocket that he developed into a good QB.

Pocket presence trumps mobility by a country mile. That's why Peyton Manning is consistently one of the least-sacked QBs despite usually being near the top of the league in attempts.

TexansFanatic
06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
I can't understand why some of the folks on this board are unhappy with the idea of signing (for the league minimum, to play third string) a quarterback who took his team to the Super Bowl as the starter.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I can't understand why some of the folks on this board are unhappy with the idea of signing (for the league minimum, to play third string) a quarterback who took his team to the Super Bowl as the starter.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Personally, I don't mind the signing. Although, I'm not sure he'll make the team unless Kubiak decides to go with 3 QB's.

IMO, The defense took the Bears to the SB.

TexansFanatic
06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
IMO, The defense took the Bears to the SB.

Yes, "took his team" was a poor choice of words. Nevertheless, he was the starter for a Super Bowl team and we've got him as our third stringer.

I don't see the controversy.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Yes, "took his team" was a poor choice of words. Nevertheless, he was the starter for a Super Bowl team and we've got him as our third stringer.

I don't see the controversy.

I hear ya, bro.

No controversy here. It's going to be a fun TC and preseason. Maybe not for Kubiak and all the decisions he'll have to make, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

TexansFanatic
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I hear ya, bro.

No controversy here. It's going to be a fun TC and preseason. Maybe not for Kubiak and all the decisions he'll have to make, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

You and me both! The whole town will go nuts if our boys start the season strong.

GP
06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I almost added something about Schaub deciding to take shots and I guess I should have. There is no doubt in my mind Schaub has awareness, but he absolutely decides to hang and take shots at times. Kubiak alluded to this recently with a comment about Schaub needing to learn to let plays go sometimes.

That's why I think Rosencopter was the turning point. IMO, Schaub feared that he could NOT throw the ball away or do other non-committal things when the pressure was on. He feared that Sage would get put into the game if he (Schaub) didn't stand in there and perform.

Now, I was of the impression that Schaub didn't have awareness. But when Rosencopter happened, I genuinely think Schaub thought "Aw, hell. Now I KNOW I can do better than THAT!" And so it made him feel more like he really could be a QB who doesn't have to save the day all the time. In fact, watching Sage attempt to save the day...and fail in an epic manner...might have shown Schaub that you don't need to try that stuff.

Matt was overthinking. He comes off as being a pretty deep thinker, even his facial expressions convey that he's processing information and not really going to show how he feels all the time. But Sage's debacle, IMO, settled the dispute. And I think it settled it in Sage's mind, too.

Thus Sage went to Minnesota, where it seems he might have to fight that fight all over again. Tough sledding, ain't it? LOL.

TheRealJoker
06-18-2009, 04:33 PM

You said it better than me. +1

Kaiser Toro
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I am fine with the signing, this is how I expect a successful team working. Competition is not a bad thing. Leveraging our HC's mystique as a QB coach to profit down the road upon him reconfiguring guys like Grossman is a good thing. The key question is the roster spot. Perhaps Kubiak sees a more well rounded team with more multi-faceted players, consequently he sees value in carrying an extra QB for more than training camp.

As far as Schaub's pocket presence, he has it. What kills him and this team is that when he gets his bell rung he is awful and usually results in a turnover on that same series. Schaub is no Superman, but he is a top notch QB when kept clean.

thunderkyss
06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Now, I was of the impression that Schaub didn't have awareness. But when Rosencopter happened, I genuinely think Schaub thought "Aw, hell. Now I KNOW I can do better than THAT!"

In fact, watching Sage attempt to save the day...and fail in an epic manner...might have shown Schaub that you don't need to try that stuff.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I keep thinking how different things might be, had Sage held on to that ball, had he picked up the first down. We'd be talking about his courage, how he'll "put the team on his back", how he is a winner, etc....

I don't doubt the Sage/Schaub dynamic played out, may very well have been how you described it. But I can't help but think how fine that line is, between hero & S.O.B.

One of David Carr's biggest weakness, in my mind, was his inability to make plays, when we needed him to make plays. Sure, there were times when he would scramble for a first down, including that time he did his own "Rosencopter" to beat Jacksonville (I think it was Jacksonville), but more often, there were 3 yard passes, when we needed 15.

I'm just saying, there will be times that we'll need Schaub to be a hero, and times when we need him to be smart. I just hope he does figure it out.

thunderkyss
06-18-2009, 08:46 PM
What kills him and this team is that when he gets his bell rung he is awful and usually results in a turnover on that same series. Schaub is no Superman, but he is a top notch QB when kept clean.

Funny..... I'm proud of the fact that we actually throw the ball after a sack, something we never did, even if it were 4th & 30. IMHO, it shows Schaub's ability to forget the last play, and move on. Something our other QB couldn't get past.

barrett
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I think you're both right. Schaub has a great ability to shake off the bad plays... (see my sig, that was when we were down two scores to miami after an 0-4 start and he had just thrown a pick) But Kaiser has a point that when he gets nailed he has had a short history of cobb webbed decisions. I think if the O line protects and Schaub gets rid of the ball quickly you'll see a very solid QB. I think he will get better with the post hit decsions but I do think it's part of who he is.

Kaiser Toro
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Funny..... I'm proud of the fact that we actually throw the ball after a sack, something we never did, even if it were 4th & 30. IMHO, it shows Schaub's ability to forget the last play, and move on. Something our other QB couldn't get past.

You need to go watch the games where Schaub got his bell rung, you would restate your take immediately. Schaub forgetting the last play, and Schaub trying to play through physical trauma from the last play are two entirely different things.

ObsiWan
06-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Gotta disagree with you there. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady aren't the most mobile QBs in the league but they manage to take a step or two out of the way to let the Olineman recover their block and give them extra time to throw the ball. That there thingy is "pocket presence".

Historically the most "mobile" QBs are the ones that usually take the most punishment because they know since they can run that its always an option...lots of times not even finishing their checkdowns before thinking of running.

I thought the Mike Vick reference might come up. That's not "mobility" as I refer to it. In my mind, "mobility" is, like Infantry said, is the ability to feel the rush and avoid it with a couple of steps to the side or by stepping up into the pocket or rolling away from the pressure and, by so doing, keeping the play alive for another second or three. That's why I referenced Big Ben's play in the Super Bowl. He never took off and ran, Mike Vick style, but he was mobile enough to shake the pass rush. That was, what I consider, classic QB mobility. When Romo is on his game, he does it well. Peyton does it, but his forte is more the quick release. Schaub can do it, but he's not as good at it as I'd like to see.

GP
06-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I keep thinking how different things might be, had Sage held on to that ball, had he picked up the first down. We'd be talking about his courage, how he'll "put the team on his back", how he is a winner, etc....

I don't doubt the Sage/Schaub dynamic played out, may very well have been how you described it. But I can't help but think how fine that line is, between hero & S.O.B.

One of David Carr's biggest weakness, in my mind, was his inability to make plays, when we needed him to make plays. Sure, there were times when he would scramble for a first down, including that time he did his own "Rosencopter" to beat Jacksonville (I think it was Jacksonville), but more often, there were 3 yard passes, when we needed 15.

I'm just saying, there will be times that we'll need Schaub to be a hero, and times when we need him to be smart. I just hope he does figure it out.

I don't think the casual fan thinks anything more of the Rosencopter play than "Man, what a bad play!"

Whereas I look at it, as I think a lot of us do, and go "If that doesn't happen, and he picks up the first down...we beat the Colts, and the possibility remains that the Sage-Schaub dynamic lives on, at least for the rest of the season. And...we might not have done as well in the last half of the season."

That was a defining moment. I'm not saying Sage goes on to supplant Schaub. I just think it delays Schaub's progress for perhaps maybe even the remainder of the season. And who knows WHAT it would have done to the team's psyche.

It's one of those things that would make a good Quantum Leap episode!

thunderkyss
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
You need to go watch the games where Schaub got his bell rung, you would restate your take immediately. Schaub forgetting the last play, and Schaub trying to play through physical trauma from the last play are two entirely different things.

I've seen Matt take several shots, and come out throwing. Sometimes he handled it well, sometimes the protection was pitifull, sometimes he panicked...... no different than most QBs, including the best of the best.

I'm just saying, we had a QB, that would get sacked, then 9.999 times out of ten, the next play would be a run/draw.

barrett
06-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I think he has the ability to have that short memory. I think he has the ability to be fearless in the pocket. I think he gets lit up too often. I think the tackles need to play more consistently. I think they will. I think his progress as a young QB and their progress as a young OLine that is in sync with itself are happening together and at the right time. I think he believes in his guys ability to protect him. I think that is what makes him be able to be fearless and not looking over his shoulder to see if the tackles are doing their jobs. I think other quarterbacks we've had have not had that confidence.

Texans_Chick
06-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Rick Smith talks about why the Texans are considering having three QBs on the roster and other thing at HT.com:

GM Smith wraps up offseason: Part 1 (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/NewsArchive.asp)

Rick Smith: Yes, I have. We kept three when I first got to Denver. And what we did, Brooke, is we took a look after about two or three years when I was in Denver and did a study to find out how much the third quarterback actually played. We were trying to steal an extra roster spot, and sure enough when you went back and looked, the third quarterback rarely played. So we took a chance and said, “We’ll steal an extra roster spot with another player and not worry about the third quarterback.” Obviously, our history here over the last couple of years has not been that. So we are seriously contemplating keeping three. To have an opportunity to have a guy like Rex who started in the Super Bowl a few years ago, that’s a very valuable commodity to have as a third quarterback. If in fact we do that, he’s got a chance to be a good third for us.

Personally, I hope they carry three.

also signed,
Sage Rosenfels' broken hand
David Carr likely playing with a concussion during the Raiders game
Matt Schaub's dinged head, messed up shoulder, stomach virus, knee ligaments
Rex Grossman trying to make an NFL roster

barrett
06-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I think 4 would be even better!

signed,

A. Brink

barrett
06-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Somehow I found this story about Grossman written by a bears guy:
Unfortunately for Grossman, and perhaps even unfairly, I did have some disdain for him and have used his name in parallel with the likes of David Carr. Now that he is a Texan, I want to like him. He took the first step toward making many new friends and fans recently when he showed great humility and appreciation for his newfound lot in life. Here is a guy who won an NFC Championship and was the starting QB on a Superbowl team, and he sounded delighted to come into Houston for the NFL minimum for his experience and compete for the third-string spot. Shortly thereafter, he had it secured. He also managed to shake loose his affinity with Carr, at least in my mind, by thus far demonstrating his simple passion for playing football.

Ultimately, this turns out to be yet another seemingly terrific move by the Texans’ organization in this impressive offseason. The Texans now have a 29-year-old, former Superbowl QB on the team as a third-stringer for bare minimums. I’m sure the Bears’ fans have not forgiven Grossman for the biggest loss of his career, but here’s hoping Rex can forge a new, positive career as a Texan, and here’s hoping he makes the most of every chance he might get on the field. Though, let’s hope those chances only come when the game is well in hand, and Mr. Schaub is only resting on the bench.

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/rex-grossman-is-a-great-backup-qb-for-the-texans

It's June. I gotta find something else to do.