PDA

View Full Version : Leinart and MMA

Htownsportsfan
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I found this intersting. My pre-conceived notion had always been Leinart was spoiled and a bit soft after his years at USC. It might nit make a difference but I impressed non the less to seee him trying new things to improve his mindset and toughness.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=2696c4ce-1a05-40f6-accc-6b1808b0fded

DiehardChris
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
It makes no difference at ALL. TRAINING in MMA and actual FIGHTING in MMA are completely different.

Put his ass in the octagon with a fighter and then I might judge that he's toughened up.

mexican_texan
06-08-2009, 11:00 PM
It makes no difference at ALL. TRAINING in MMA and actual FIGHTING in MMA are completely different.

Put his ass in the octagon with a fighter and then I might judge that he's toughened up.
I'm sure the Cardinals wouldn't have a problem with that.

DiehardChris
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Just saying - his method of training isn't going to change any perceptions of his perceived lack of toughness. I mean, he's in the NFL. It's already pretty tough.

If he wants to change perceptions, the best thing for him to do is to stop sucking.

HOU-TEX
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Agreed! His lights would be out within seconds.

This is no different than seeing Chad Johnson on NFLN training to box by using bags and pads. It might improve hand and foot speed, but toughness? Doubt it

Specnatz
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I doubt Leinart is training MMA to be a badass in the octagon.

HOU-TEX
06-09-2009, 09:09 AM

No, but it was said he's trying to prove toughness. Which is bull-butter if you ask me. Training to fight doesn't make a dude tougher. Get in the ring and fight and you might toughen up a bit.

Texecutioner
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Well training to fight isn't going to make Leinart be able to recognize defensive coverage any better. It's not going to make him scramble any faster or throw on the run any better.

I agree that it might make him tougher though. Why wouldn't it, if he's going in there and taking a pounding every day?

Over all though, I fail to see how this makes him a better QB.

bah007
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I found this intersting. My pre-conceived notion had always been Leinart was spoiled and a bit soft after his years at USC. It might nit make a difference but I impressed non the less to seee him trying new things to improve his mindset and toughness.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid=2696c4ce-1a05-40f6-accc-6b1808b0fded

Looks like you were right. He isn't doing this to get better, he is doing it to look tougher. It's funny how some of these professional athletes care so much about what people think about them.

Training to box can really improve your hand-eye coordination and your muscle endurance, which makes you a better athlete.

Leinart isn't an "athletic" QB though so I don't really see how this helps him in football. He needs improvement on the mental side of his game if he wants to be a better QB.

chicagotexan2
06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
The only octogon Matts been in is one filled with really hot water and hot babes. I prefer that training too.

Hervoyel
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM

You never know man. Maybe his outward appearance is just a result of how bored he is with the wimpy "pretend-violence" of the NFL and deep down inside he really plans on ditching this game following his rookie contract to get into the octogon and tear some peoples wind pipes out?

Maybe Matt Leinart is THE ULTIMATE BAD ASS OF ALL TIME!!!

Ok, probably not.