PDA

View Full Version : Dungy: Texans a 'confidence piece away' from being an elite team

Brando
06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
When asked about the Jags prospects in the AFC South this season, Dungy said a few words about the Jags running game, head coach Jack Del Rio and the defense and the management changes, but then seemingly in the same breath and without a direct prompt he said:

"The AFC South division is tougher than ever. I really think the Houston Texans are a little confidence piece away from becoming an elite team."

Hmmm. So in other words:

Jacksonville media member: "Coach Dungy, how do you think the Jags are going to do this year?

Dungy: "I think the Texans are going to be pretty good."

I bet the Jacksonville media loved hearing that on their home turf.

Alan Burge(aj) - examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m6d7-Dungy--Texans-a-confidence-piece-away-from-being-an-elite-team?cid=exrss-Houston-Texans-Examiner)

:heh:

TexansFanatic
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Dungy is dead on.

For years we've been waiting for the Texans to assemble the kind of talent that wins playoff games. Well, they've done that.

The only thing that remains for the team to do now is BELIEVE.

BSofA04
06-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Big words from a well respected coach. If Dungy thinks we could have the potential to be an elite team, that's saying something.

MojoMan
06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I really like hearing that kind of talk. Especially from someone like Tony Dungy.

GP
06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Del Rio going down the toilet, after those seasons of him encouraging his team to play dirty against us...well, I am loving it.

That last game in Reliant, with him watching his defense just let Slaton walk into the end zone, was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. That look on his face was great.

MojoMan
06-07-2009, 09:43 PM
By the way, what is "a confidence piece"?

ATXtexanfan
06-07-2009, 09:46 PM
The schedule is set up nicely to build confidence as well

BSofA04
06-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Brian Cushing

Mailman
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM

http://www.waspnation.com/Archives/Pics/Codpiece.jpg

eriadoc
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM

A confidence piece is beating the Colts for 60 minutes instead of 55. It's that attitude that comes when something bad happens and the team just shrugs it off, instead of thinking "Oh hell, here we go again".

I like hearing it from Dungy, because he knows our team as well as any outsider, having game planned against us twice a season, and knowing that they got away with one last year.

MojoMan
06-07-2009, 09:51 PM

You are a wild man, to be sure.

:)

MojoMan
06-07-2009, 09:59 PM
A confidence piece is beating the Colts for 60 minutes instead of 55. It's that attitude that comes when something bad happens and the team just shrugs it off, instead of thinking "Oh hell, here we go again".

I like hearing it from Dungy, because he knows our team as well as any outsider, having game planned against us twice a season, and knowing that they got away with one last year.

Yeah, I am with you. That totally stokes me.

Wolf
06-07-2009, 10:03 PM
hopefully the confidence piece is the DC and the ****** rolls down hill

DiehardChris
06-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Meh. I'm not on the Tony Dungy bandwagon. I've seen nothing from him that makes me think he's going to be a compelling or competent analyst... and honestly, I'll probably get killed for this - but for that Colts team to make it to only one Super Bowl with the talents they've had - I think the guy is overrated. They had some bad playoff losses, and they should have made it to 2 SBs.

Also - "confidence piece?" That's some amusingly contrived analyst-speak.

m5kwatts
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
The schedule is set up nicely to build confidence as well

I'm a little nervous about the Jets, and I know its ridiculous because its a rookie QB's first NFL game but consider these points.....

Rex Ryan's Ravens were the only game other than the Colts Rosencopter game to come into Reliant and beat us...

I know its the Jets and not the Ravens but they still have a dominant NT (Jenkins), Bart Scott, Pace, a good corner Revis and a good safety Rhodes.

That said, we could just get so much momentum from a defense getting 3 and outs, which will happen frequently vs. Sanchez in his debut, we'll have so many opportunities that we can kick field goals and get an occasional TD and win like 19-9.

A win in week 1 will be HUGE going into Tennessee, and I think were looking at 2-0 or 0-2.....If we beat the Jets our confidence will be sky high (see panthers week 2 2007)...if we lose week 1 it might not be pretty in Tennessee week 2 (see 2008)

All that said I hope I'm wrong, I hope we destroy the Jets and get some defensive TDs with Sanchez turning it over a ton in his first NFL game

Wolf
06-07-2009, 10:12 PM
AFC South

Expectation: The Colts and the Titans will once more battle for divisional supremacy.

Spoiler alert: The Houston Texans, seemingly always a year away, could challenge for the division title. It's been a steady climb for the expansion franchise (two wins in '05, six in '06, eight in '07 and '08) and the pieces are finally in place for a postseason berth. Not only does pass rusher Mario Williams possess defensive player of the year ability, but also the Texans' offense features skill position players among the league's best. Receivers Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter and tight end Owen Daniels are the most underrated pass-catching group in the NFL. Running back Steve Slaton proved he can use a mix of speed and punishment to carry the load. Matt Schaub will benefit from gaining another year of experience in Gary Kubiak's offense. If Schaub can cut down on the turnovers, a beautiful season should be in store in Houston.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/damon_hack/06/05/spoiler-alerts/index.html?eref=si_nfl

DiehardChris
06-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm a little nervous about the Jets, and I know its ridiculous because its a rookie QB's first NFL game but consider these points.....

Rex Ryan's Ravens were the only game other than the Colts Rosencopter game to come into Reliant and beat us...

I know its the Jets and not the Ravens but they still have a dominant NT (Jenkins), Bart Scott, Pace, a good corner Revis and a good safety Rhodes.

That said, we could just get so much momentum from a defense getting 3 and outs, which will happen frequently vs. Sanchez in his debut, we'll have so many opportunities that we can kick field goals and get an occasional TD and win like 19-9.

A win in week 1 will be HUGE going into Tennessee, and I think were looking at 2-0 or 0-2.....If we beat the Jets our confidence will be sky high (see panthers week 2 2007)...if we lose week 1 it might not be pretty in Tennessee week 2 (see 2008)

All that said I hope I'm wrong, I hope we destroy the Jets and get some defensive TDs with Sanchez turning it over a ton in his first NFL game

Oh, I'm very, very scared about the Jets. You saw what the Ravens did to us last year, and Rex will have them playing with the same attitude, and it's not like they have bad personnel. That first game is going to be a hell of a fight.

infantrycak
06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
hopefully the confidence piece is the DC and the ****** rolls down hill

I think that is exactly it. The two sides have to have confidence in each other. Last year the O largely performed (obviously with room for red zone and turnover improvement) but you could never watch the D run onto the field and think affirmatively "it's ok they will stop them." If the O starts believing in the D they will play better which could turn into scary good.

TexansFanatic
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM

The Texans were also leading in the 4th quarter in their loss in Indianapolis.

Confidence might have helped the Texans sweep the Colts last year.

J. Sean Wonton
06-07-2009, 10:35 PM

I think he's saying that we have all of the pieces of an elite team except for the confidence piece.

Sure, our defense could be better, and it looks like it will be. It seems like most teams either have an exceptional offense or defense but not both. We obviously have the exceptional offense. Their only obstacle is the red zone which is mostly a confidence issue as I think Kyle Shanahan and others have said.

:texflag:

J. Sean Wonton
06-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Meh. I'm not on the Tony Dungy bandwagon. I've seen nothing from him that makes me think he's going to be a compelling or competent analyst... and honestly, I'll probably get killed for this - but for that Colts team to make it to only one Super Bowl with the talents they've had - I think the guy is overrated. They had some bad playoff losses, and they should have made it to 2 SBs.

Wow, why don't you just say that Santa Claus is a loser and the Easter Bunny is a wimp. :winky:

J. Sean Wonton
06-07-2009, 10:40 PM

I bet you actually play for the Texans. What's your real identity? This is exactly the opposite of the "confidence piece". We're going to give Sanchez nightmares for weeks after that game. :wild:

MojoMan
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I think he's saying that we have all of the pieces of an elite team except for the confidence piece.

Sure, our defense could be better, and it looks like it will be. It seems like most teams either have an exceptional offense or defense but not both. We obviously have the exceptional offense. Their only obstacle is the red zone which is mostly a confidence issue as I think Kyle Shanahan and others have said.

:texflag:

That is a really good way to say that. Thanks for posting that.

I wish Dungy had said that "All the Texans are missing is the confidence piece." That would have been clearer and much easier to understand.

JCTexan
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
That is a really good way to say that. Thanks for posting that.

I wish Dungy had said that "All the Texans are missing is the confidence piece." That would have been clearer and much easier to understand.

Didn't Dungy say that when he said:

"I really think the Houston Texans are a little confidence piece away from becoming an elite team."

Lucky
06-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I think Dungy is saying the Texans need the confidence that comes from going into Indy and/or Nashville and coming out with a big win. The players, the coaches, the entire organization needs the confidence of winning a big game. September 20th @ Tennessee looks like a great time and place to pickup the missing piece.

steelbtexan
06-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Agreed

Tony got out while the getting was good

He's a phony IMO.

The Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are less phony than Tony IMO.

That was funny J Sean

By the way I hope Tony is right about the Texans.

J. Sean Wonton
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Didn't Dungy say that when he said:

It's sort of an awkward phrasing.

leebigeztx
06-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Dungy is going to be great on tv. I'm glad nbc is going more toward the elements of football.

DiehardChris
06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a phony, just a little overrated as a coach IMO.

Dungy is going to be great on tv. I'm glad nbc is going more toward the elements of football.

Anything that means less of Tiki Barber is fine by me.

barrett
06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
One of the things that I think the Texans have that isn't confidence but is an ingredient for that

I think one of the keys to confidence that I think the Texans already possess is the ability to bounce back from adversity. I think a few years ago a game like the Rosencopter game could have ruined the entire season.

One of the strong points of this regime is a decent history of adversity followed by calm. Some really REALLY heartbreaking losses that didn't cause total meltdowns. The two most obvious would be the Tacks "comeback that almost was" game and of course the Rosencopter game.

If they can retain that momentum from last year and turn it into a decent stretch this year I could see those tough losses becoming some sort of mortar for the long term. They've already learned that they're not out of it even when they're way down and they're not home free even when they're well ahead.

Jackie Chiles
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
When the Cardinals made their playoff run last season I remember hearing a quote from one of their players saying how stopping the run was a mindset and how once they stopped somebody it all just came together because the defense as a whole knew they could do it. While watching their game against the Falcons I remember thinking how eventually Turner was going to get untracked and burn that defense but there was absolutely no running room and guys were flying around in the backfield. I hope Antonio Smith brings that confidence/experience/mojo to our D and I have a sneaky suspicion that he will.

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM

I like Dungy, but "Football Night in America" is an absolute joke. Any show with Bob Costas and Kieth Olbermann should be banned before it's able to hit the human eye. Dungy and Harrison are an improvement, but the show will remain pathetic as long as those two buffoons are on set.

I will continue to watch NFLN before SNF.

steelbtexan
06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Dont care for Olberman, just because he reads well doesn't make him intelligent.

He is a product of todays media, all flash and no substance.

He is the messenger boy for the elitist at 30 Rock

nunusguy
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I like Dungy, but "Football Night in America" is an absolute joke. Any show with Bob Costas and Kieth Olbermann should be banned before it's able to hit the human eye. Dungy and Harrison are an improvement, but the show will remain pathetic as long as those two buffoons are on set.

Bob Costas and Kieth Olbermann are clowns ? You're half right, but Costas is one of the most thoughtful, analytical, articualte sports jounalists of our time, though football is certainly not his long-suit.

TimeKiller
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Dungy coached a team that won a SB amidst one of the....sigh....greatest dynasties of all-time. He won like 12 games a year for the better part of a decade.

Should've went to 2 SB's? Like...maybe if he had stuck around in Tampa for a year.....

Overrated? C'moooonnnnnn..... he may not be one of the all-time all-timers but he's pretty close.

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Bob Costas and Kieth Olbermann are clowns ? You're half right, but Costas is one of the most thoughtful, analytical, articualte sports jounalists of our time, though football is certainly not his long-suit.

That's signature worthy. :spit:

Specnatz
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM

That's signature worthy. :spit:

Not exactly sure what you find so funny. Bob Costas is a very good sports journalist and commentator. He is better at Baseball than he is at Football, but still he gives a more thought provoking side to it. he is not an X's and O's guy by any stretch of the imagination. Now Olbermann is a political hack who interjects his political view into the way he talks about teams and trys to damn hard to be funny. Not only is he not funny but his knowledge of football is lacking more than Emmits of the English language.

I have read most of Bob Costas' books and they are great sports books. I can say without a doubt, that most (90%) baseball fans would welcome (love) him to be commissioner over almost anyone you could name right now.

Tailgate
06-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Man, I can't wait for the season. It could be what we have been waiting 15 years for. I mean first the Great Bruce Matthews says he thinks this teams on the verge of greatness, and now the Dungys comments when he wasnt even asked about the Texans. Anything these two have to say holds a lot of weight in my opinion. Then throw in Antonio Smiths comments about how this team seems to have a similar feel to the Super Bowl bound Cards team last year.

Is it still just June??

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Not exactly sure what you find so funny. Bob Costas is a very good sports journalist and commentator. He is better at Baseball than he is at Football, but still he gives a more thought provoking side to it. he is not an X's and O's guy by any stretch of the imagination. Now Olbermann is a political hack who interjects his political view into the way he talks about teams and trys to damn hard to be funny. Not only is he not funny but his knowledge of football is lacking more than Emmits of the English language.

I have read most of Bob Costas' books and they are great sports books. I can say without a doubt, that most (90%) baseball fans would welcome (love) him to be commissioner over almost anyone you could name right now.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I was speaking of Football Night in America. He and Olbermann are assclowns on that show, which leads to me finding it funny. If he's as good as y'all claim him to be in other areas, he obviously chose the wrong path to follow.

Drew_Smoke
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM

I'm Blind In TEXAS!!

Olberman is about as genius as that Rachel Mancow dude. Its funny how he sounds different on his radio show though.

GP
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
One of the things that I think the Texans have that isn't confidence but is an ingredient for that

I think one of the keys to confidence that I think the Texans already possess is the ability to bounce back from adversity. I think a few years ago a game like the Rosencopter game could have ruined the entire season.

One of the strong points of this regime is a decent history of adversity followed by calm. Some really REALLY heartbreaking losses that didn't cause total meltdowns. The two most obvious would be the Tacks "comeback that almost was" game and of course the Rosencopter game.

If they can retain that momentum from last year and turn it into a decent stretch this year I could see those tough losses becoming some sort of mortar for the long term. They've already learned that they're not out of it even when they're way down and they're not home free even when they're well ahead.

I think the Rosencopter game was a game that seemed to happen to the Texans far too much in the past.

What I mean by that is this: There was a time when we would always commit some boneheaded move that just buried our chances of even competing, let alone winning, in a game. Most of those times were David Carr getting sacked on 3rd and 24, placing our punter on our own 1. Or it was our defense getting torched for a TD on a WR bubble screen.

What you saw after the Rosencopter game was a team that said "That's not who we are anymore. That's not the norm." And that's why I have said in other threads that the Rosencopter game just made something click for the rest of the team. It really was THAT much of an agent of change. It was like the lights finally came on.

It dealt with the whole Sage-Schaub thing once and for all, and it caused the team to move into a firmer commitment to stop being a doofus and to just play within themselves and stop forcing things.

Specnatz
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I was speaking of Football Night in America. He and Olbermann are assclowns on that show, which leads to me finding it funny. If he's as good as y'all claim him to be in other areas, he obviously chose the wrong path to follow.

He does not have much choice as of right now. He signed a contract with NBC and they tell him what to do. If you have MLB Network or if you would watch his show on cable you would get a different opinion of him.

On Monday Night in America I do not see what he does that is asshat worthy, Overblown is an asshat master. So maybe because Bob has to comment on the stupid shit that worthless scum sucking a-hole Oblermann says makes him look like an asshat.

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
He does not have much choice as of right now. He signed a contract with NBC and they tell him what to do. If you have MLB Network or if you would watch his show on cable you would get a different opinion of him.

On Monday Night in America I do not see what he does that is asshat worthy, Overblown is an asshat master. So maybe because Bob has to comment on the stupid shit that worthless scum sucking a-hole Oblermann says makes him look like an asshat.

:spit: I guess that's possible, but Costas seems to make dumb comments as much as Ooberghey does. Maybe he's trying to fit in with Ooberghey?

I do not have MLB Network.

GP
06-08-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm totally with you on this one.

Olberman is that guy you go on a road trip with, and about 20 minutes down the road you think "Ah hell. This is going to be pure misery." And you promise yourself that you will always have some chore to do the next time he calls you to plan some activity with you.

Smarmy, one-upper, gas bag.

I wonder what Costas did wrong to warrant being punished like this.

BeatDaTitans
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Ive never heard of Rosenfels play called Rosencopter...lol
I completely agree with this, Houston in my opinion could go 12-4 this year if we beat the jets first, But Anyways Dungy just made my day talking bout houston in Jacksonville golden moment.... Can anyone one tell me when we are gunna sign Owen Daniels.

DiehardChris
06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Ive never heard of Rosenfels play called Rosencopter...lol
I completely agree with this, Houston in my opinion could go 12-4 this year if we beat the jets first, But Anyways Dungy just made my day talking bout houston in Jacksonville golden moment.... Can anyone one tell me when we are gunna sign Owen Daniels.

Probably before June 15.