PDA

View Full Version : LaRon Landry may be up for trade, any interest?

Wolf
06-07-2009, 12:08 AM
interesting thread

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640

Texan JBZ
06-07-2009, 12:27 AM
They don't want Landry, we don't want Dunta. Sounds like the perfect scenario. Dunta will get his big payday from Dan Snyder, and the Texans get the biggest need they have in a FS with outstanding range. Sounds like a win-win to me, although there is probably no chance in hell this happens.

mexican_texan
06-07-2009, 12:37 AM
It really shouldn't be an issue a player isn't present for voluntary workouts.

Wolf
06-07-2009, 12:41 AM

I agree, but coaches are like (pardon my stereotype) some women.. when they say "it is ok if you don't want to do it" but what hey mean is "you NEED to be there"

TexansSeminole
06-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I'd do it for sure. LaRon Landry is a solid football player with no significant injuries in his past. He hasn't been a bawlhawk thus far in his career but he is still very young. DRob seems to be unhappy with the situation here.

I think Landry could be make more of an impact to our defense than DRob can.

Mari-OWNED!
06-07-2009, 01:17 AM
His contract is a little jacked up, but it's his fault for signing it.

2009: $935,000
2010: $1,267,500
2011: $1,600,000
2012: $1,932,500 (Voidable Year) Does this mean they can cut him and won't have to pay him?
2013: Free Agent

Source - http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=4178

We're definitely offering Dunta better cash than Landry is getting, but I'm not too sure if it is what the Texans should go for. I really don't know much about Landry besides looking up his stats...

ChampionTexan
06-07-2009, 02:43 AM
They don't want Landry, we don't want Dunta. Sounds like the perfect scenario. Dunta will get his big payday from Dan Snyder, and the Texans get the biggest need they have in a FS with outstanding range. Sounds like a win-win to me, although there is probably no chance in hell this happens.

Please expand on exactly what the Texans have done to make you think they don't want Dunta.

mexican_texan
06-07-2009, 04:03 AM
Please expand on exactly what the Texans have done to make you think they don't want Dunta.
Likewise with the Redskins. He may be referring to the fanbase, not the organization.

Ole Miss Texan
06-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Landry and Willis were my two favorite players of the '07 draft. I'd love to get Landry. Although some activities are 'voluntary', I like seeing the dedication and team chemistry of players being there, like Demeco Ryans. It shows leadership and in the secondary, the S is usually the leader. What concerns me are the reports of Landry not returning calls/texts from the Head Coach. This is a huge red flag for me.
Landry is a very very smart player, him missing some time, I don't think is a big deal from a learning standpoint for him. If anything, it just hurts the other players, but you could argue that it's giving other players more practice.

I'd be in favor of a Dunta for Landry trade. I think Landry is they type of Safety that would be great on this team. A FS/SS kind of guy that can come up in the box for us or play deep. Wilson, Landry, Ferguson, Barber, Nolan, Harrison... that would be a pretty solid group of safeties.

Only do the trade if you feel Bennett is ready to take over the starting spot across from Reeves.

Texan JBZ
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Likewise with the Redskins. He may be referring to the fanbase, not the organization.

What he said.

eriadoc
06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
This is all I know about LaRon Landry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINAd2R1-To

It's irrelevant, but I just love the run :)

BSofA04
06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree with Ole Miss, there is a huge red flag from a player not showing up for OTA's and ignoring calls from the head coach. No doubt he's un upgrade at FS, but I'm not sure if the chemistry is right for the team Smithiak has assembled. Hopefully it's Landry's way of getting out of DC rather than him being lazy.

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2009, 02:20 PM
If it was a straight up deal, dunta for laron, i would have to think about it because all things point to Dunta wearing a different uniform in 2010 anyway.

brakos82
06-07-2009, 05:22 PM
If it was a straight up deal, dunta for laron, i would have to think about it because all things point to Dunta wearing a different uniform in 2010 anyway.
And that's the main reason I'd be interested in the deal.

TexansSeminole
06-07-2009, 05:26 PM
And that's the main reason I'd be interested in the deal.

Landry is also two and a half years younger.

GP
06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I'd do this deal yesterday, as long as it doesn't involve us giving up anything but Dunta. And it would require Dunta wanting to go to Snyderland...unless there was a third team involved.

Vinny
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
dude won't even call the coach back or return a text. I wouldn't want guys like this working for me.

TimeKiller
06-08-2009, 12:54 PM
For any questions Landry may have attitude-wise they are also present for Dunta Robinson. Not showing up for voluntary workouts? Check. Maybe Dunta picks up the phone when Kubiak calls but what exactly does that matter if he still isn't coming to practice? Thanks for answering and telling me AGAIN that you're not coming? Sweet.

Landry for Dunta is an interesting proposition. I was on the draft Landry bandwagon for sure...I suppose the only red light I have with this is what exactly will Dunta bring when he eventually does bring it?

Mr teX
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
We better have interest if we want to move to the next level.. the guy is an upgrade at either safety position.

GP
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
dude won't even call the coach back or return a text. I wouldn't want guys like this working for me.

What if there's more there than we know about, though?

People are quick to point that out about Dunta...that he and management might not be all that far away, and that it's "just OTAs"...and if you're unsure about where you're playing, and things have stalled on negotiations, wouldn't it be natural for the player to stand down?

I think if these two players are done with their current teams, then get them the hell out of each city. Pronto. Each player brings his own value to a team that might need that value, to fill a void. There's only a small percentage of players who continue to be unhappy wherever they go: T.O. is the ring leader of them. But sometimes a player just isn't a fit with the staff and/or system.

Sometimes it feels like there's more pride involved than there should be. Which is why I think Mangini and McDaniels are failures right now. They think they are coaching in the early 1960s or something. Professional sports leagues are no longer organizationally-focused. It's all about the individual player and how HE can get a team over the top. The sooner front offices realize that, and find ways to work within it and not against it, the better.

Hooston Texan
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Landry signed a rookie contract that was more lucrative than the deal Troy Polamalu signed as a vet around the same time. Landry got $41 million over 5 years with a voidable 6th year with $17.5 million guaranteed (for comparison, Polamalu's 5-year deal was $33.5/$15.5). Is it any wonder nobody wants top 10 draft picks any more?

This is what kills me about athletes in this situation--they bargain for a long-term contract with huge upfront money but then complain when they hit the lower dollars on the back-end. Landry clearly received a premium in his first two years at the cost of modest numbers in the later years. But even so, his contract--over its entire lifespan--pays him way more than what the best safety in the league is getting. Now that the Skins are trying to enjoy the part of the contract that is favorable to them, he wants out.

That said, if the Skins want to trade their disgruntled DB for ours, I'd jump. I would just make sure that Landry's new contract is balanced across its lifespan or he'll just pull the same stunt on us a few years down the road.

Mr teX
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Landry signed a rookie contract that was more lucrative than the deal Troy Polamalu signed as a vet around the same time. Landry got $41 million over 5 years with a voidable 6th year with $17.5 million guaranteed (for comparison, Polamalu's 5-year deal was $33.5/$15.5). Is it any wonder nobody wants top 10 draft picks any more?

This is what kills me about athletes in this situation--they bargain for a long-term contract with huge upfront money but then complain when they hit the lower dollars on the back-end. Landry clearly received a premium in his first two years at the cost of modest numbers in the later years. But even so, his contract--over its entire lifespan--pays him way more than what the best safety in the league is getting. Now that the Skins are trying to enjoy the part of the contract that is favorable to them, he wants out.

That said, if the Skins want to trade their disgruntled DB for ours, I'd jump. I would just make sure that Landry's new contract is balanced across its lifespan or he'll just pull the same stunt on us a few years down the road.

he still might do this even if it is balanced b/c most of these guys do this when they think they've outperformed their contract & some have a case too. I can't remember if James Harrison was a FA or if he was trying to get a better deal but he's certainly the most recent example i can think of.

Goldensilence
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Agree with GP in that I would've done this deal yesterday assuming Washington could make a favorable offer in Dunta's mind. I think Wilson is a good stop gap guy but, then again I thought Will Demps would turn out the same.

The HC texting thing is a concern but at the same time I can't help but wonder what kind of respect Zorn can command from his players. Reminds me of Lane Kiffin in Oakland sort of.