PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Texans Free Agents

Eight Gov
06-01-2009, 01:55 PM
The good news is I found a site that lists when each NFL player will be a free agent:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractshou.php

The bad news is that we have some tough decisions to make if we don't resign anyone before free agency.

With Owen, Walter, DeMeco, Dunta and Chester due to hit the market, this year just might be our best chance to win.

Anyone else concerned?

infantrycak
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
That site (and pretty much all the others) are ignoring the state of the CBA and operating as if it gets extended. DeMeco for instance would normally end his 4 year contract and go straight to being an unrestricted free agent, BUT if a new deal is not done he would be subject to restricted free agent rules for the next two years.

Goldensilence
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm not really concerned to be honest. I think we'll likely work out adeal with most of those guys. Demeco came to his senses and is attending OTA's I think we'll see him signed to an extension before the season starts. IMO Dunta, a side from being tagged, has one foot out the door. I won't be heart broken if he leaves. I think Chester is a no brain signing that won't break the bank. Walter doesn't strike me as a guy whose going to ask for a huge contract either, I think he understands the value of being able to lineup across from Andre.

OD might be a tricky affair. I think he's great for the team and has really turned into one of the more complete TE's in the league. It was a no brain move to tender him high. What makes it tricky is the contract TB shelled out for Winslow Jr. OD is a great player but....I kind of start asking myself is he worth a contract like that? Would he ask for a contract that high? Another thing that makes me curious is what if a team makes an offer for a 1st and 3rd or something similar for his services? Philly might be looking for a TE to add to the offense since they didn't pick up Brandon Pettigrew. Though they did pick up Conrnelius Ingram, maybe they'd be interested ina pro bowl player? Question becomes depending on the offer would you pull the trigger on a trade?

The Pencil Neck
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
The good news is I found a site that lists when each NFL player will be a free agent:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractshou.php

The bad news is that we have some tough decisions to make if we don't resign anyone before free agency.

With Owen, Walter, DeMeco, Dunta and Chester due to hit the market, this year just might be our best chance to win.

Anyone else concerned?

I'm not particularly worried about it. I expect Owen and DeMeco to get their deals done pretty soon and those are the only two I really don't want to lose.

I don't expect to lose Walter but if we do, I think we can find a replacement.

Chester? I hope we work something out with him. But I'm not worried if we lose him.

Dunta, I'm not sure what's going to happen with him.

Polo
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I have no idea who will and who won't remain a Texan, but honestly I don't care...

I'm not attached to any of the players in particular, so as long as the team stays competitive I don't care who they let walk/retain.

Ron Artest
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
If the Rockets don't sign me, I'll play for the Texans.

buddyboy
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
If the Rockets don't sign me, I'll play for the Texans.

Ron Artest talks in third person silly.

m5kwatts
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
For the sake of discussion my bet would be that Owen, Walter and Demeco all get deals (either owen or demeco could get franchised as well) at some point with dunta and chester being left out....im guessing they let chester walk on his own and dunta either gets franchised again (but probably not b.c you need the tag for owen or demeco just in case) and traded or they just let him walk....either way chester and dunta won't get long term deals

infantrycak
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
For the sake of discussion my bet would be that Owen, Walter and Demeco all get deals (either owen or demeco could get franchised as well) at some point with dunta and chester being left out....im guessing they let chester walk on his own and dunta either gets franchised again (but probably not b.c you need the tag for owen or demeco just in case) and traded or they just let him walk....either way chester and dunta won't get long term deals

Ummm, ok. If Pitts ever hits the open market he will be one of the most sought after OLmen of that off-season. I'll bet he gets a new contract.

Joe Texan
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
With Owen, Walter, DeMeco, Dunta and Chester due to hit the market, seems every year is our best chance to win.

there you go I fixed it and I am confident that Gary will put the best foot foreward this year and Bob will always put his best foot foreward.

m5kwatts
06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Ummm, ok. If Pitts ever hits the open market he will be one of the most sought after OLmen of that off-season. I'll bet he gets a new contract.

Yes but he'll be 31 and those other guys are a lot younger...its always possible he could be franchised but i dont think hell get a long term commitment with all the other younger guys who need deals

infantrycak
06-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes but he'll be 31 and those other guys are a lot younger...its always possible he could be franchised but i dont think hell get a long term commitment with all the other younger guys who need deals

No way he gets franchised, but 31 isn't old for OLmen and don't forget to factor in he is one of the last two original Texans. 4-5 year deal at a decent price is by no means unreasonable or unworkable. If his play was bad I could see where you are coming from but it isn't, in fact it is darn good.

Lucky
06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Who do the Texans have on their roster to replace Pitts?

Yeah, nobody. If the Texans weren't considering re-signing Pitts, you would think they would be developing a young player behind him. Antoine Caldwell has some experience at offensive guard in college, but he's getting the reps at center during OTAs. He's not being groomed to replace Chester. For the Texans to replace Pitts in 2010, they would need to dip into the free agent market.

So sign a free agent who's never played for the team (and probably has never played in a Gibbs style ZBS). Or re-sign a known quantity who has started every game in franchise history? Not a real tough choice.

m5kwatts
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Pitts' play to warrant not giving him a contract, he might even be our best lineman...but the fact is there's only so much money to go around and younger players are usually the investments owners and gms prefer to go with....besides theres 2011 and 2012 free agents to worry about too and if im not mistaken the Texans are only 10 million under the cap at the moment. Its gonna be a really tight squeeze under the cap...and I'm not saying I'd even be happy with it I'm just trying to think with the Texans' brain and not my biased fan brain that doesn't write the checks or have a job on the line

Then again there could be no cap soon and all of this would be moot.

m5kwatts
06-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Who do the Texans have on their roster to replace Pitts?

Who did they have on the roster to replace Fred Weary? A bunch of no names and one of them turned into Mike Brisiel. I think the Texans feel comfortable finding lineman and running backs the cheap way and off the scrap heap even

infantrycak
06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Who did they have on the roster to replace Fred Weary? A bunch of no names and one of them turned into Mike Brisiel. I think the Texans feel comfortable finding lineman and running backs the cheap way and off the scrap heap even

Weary was injured - little different equation between having to find a replacement and just letting a very good starter go.

m5kwatts
06-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Weary was injured - little different equation between having to find a replacement and just letting a very good starter go.They showed success finding a replacement for a starter off of the practice squad...if they can do that I'm confident they could find a replacement in the draft next year which is again going to be a deep crop of lineman

LonerATO
06-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm not really concerned to be honest. I think we'll likely work out adeal with most of those guys. Demeco came to his senses and is attending OTA's I think we'll see him signed to an extension before the season starts. IMO Dunta, a side from being tagged, has one foot out the door. I won't be heart broken if he leaves. I think Chester is a no brain signing that won't break the bank. Walter doesn't strike me as a guy whose going to ask for a huge contract either, I think he understands the value of being able to lineup across from Andre.

OD might be a tricky affair. I think he's great for the team and has really turned into one of the more complete TE's in the league. It was a no brain move to tender him high. What makes it tricky is the contract TB shelled out for Winslow Jr. OD is a great player but....I kind of start asking myself is he worth a contract like that? Would he ask for a contract that high? Another thing that makes me curious is what if a team makes an offer for a 1st and 3rd or something similar for his services? Philly might be looking for a TE to add to the offense since they didn't pick up Brandon Pettigrew. Though they did pick up Conrnelius Ingram, maybe they'd be interested ina pro bowl player? Question becomes depending on the offer would you pull the trigger on a trade?

I think Cornelius Ingram was a steal, in the fact that he would have been first round talent had he not had that major injury.

LonerATO
06-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Sometimes scrap heap players turn out to be good players and it also comes down to how they fit a certain scheme.