PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Texans' Antonio Smith looks to bring rush opposite Mario Williams

IlliniJen
05-30-2009, 02:17 PM
A good article on the Sporting News about Antonio Smith today.

Kubiak can't wait to see how Williams and Smith can work together this season.

"He's the big, strong, powerful guy opposite of Mario," Kubiak said. "He helps us with the tight end and those types of things, not letting them off the line of scrimmage. He can go inside and rush the passer, which I saw him do throughout the playoffs very effectively. So he's a key and that's why we brought him here."

Smith started three of Arizona's four playoff games last season and had a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in the Cardinals Super Bowl loss to Pittsburgh. That experience could be invaluable for a team still looking to make its first playoff trip.

The 27-year-old has plenty of advice for his teammates, but he'll hold back until he's been with the team a bit longer.

"I've been trying to feel everybody out," he said. "There are some things that I would say, about how to get deep into the playoffs that I learned in the last year. But everything I saw on our team, I see on this team.

Source (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=554031)

I can't wait to see how these guys do this season.

TimeKiller
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Are you sure he didn't say "Errething I saw on our team, I see on this team''? :)

Between him, Cushing, Barwin and possibly someone stepping up like Bulman or Robinson or hopefully Okoye you have to believe ONE of them turns into the 'rusher opposite Mario'...

IlliniJen
05-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Are you sure he didn't say "Errething I saw on our team, I see on this team''? :)

Between him, Cushing, Barwin and possibly someone stepping up like Bulman or Robinson or hopefully Okoye you have to believe ONE of them turns into the 'rusher opposite Mario'...

Oh, definitely. That's why I didn't mind them drafting Barwin, because if you can find another guy (assuming Smith works out) to put even more pressure on the QB and you start moving guys around and have some sneaky blitzing to go with a pass rush...well, slap my ass and call me sally, I will be one happy Texans fan this coming season.

You have to, on defense, give the offense more than one guy to worry about and key in on. We've lacked a multi-dimensional defense for so long that I can't help but think we have to be and the road to improvement just based on the versatility alone they drafted this year.

Polo
05-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Smith is also an upgrade over Weaver in size. Weaver is about 6-foot-2 and 270 pounds. Smith is 6-4 and about 290, a perfect complement to Williams at 6-7 and 291 pounds.

Did not realize this...