PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson held out of practice

gtexan02
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Anyone know why?
Head coach Gary Kubiak

(on Wednesday’s practice) “We came inside because of the threat of lightning out there. I held a couple of guys once we came inside. I held (LB) Zac Diles out; I held (WR) Andre Johnson out, but other than that we’re good. We did good work - did some team, worked on some pressure, so we’re making progress.”

Doesn't elaborate

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5306

Carr Bombed
05-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Probably a sore hammy or something.

Andre is the franchise, the season is going to ride or die with him....if he has something as minor as even a leg bruise you hold him out of something as meaningless as OTAs

dtran04
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
It's because they went inside to the turf. They did that some of that last year too.

texanmojo
05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Andre is the franchise, the season is going to ride or die with him....if he has something as minor as even a leg bruise you hold him out of something as meaningless as OTAs

EXACTLY...don't even let that guy get so much as a ding on him. I want to have to pay for playoff tickets this year.

HOU-TEX
05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
It's because they went inside to the turf. They did that some of that last year too.

"I held a couple of guys once we came inside."

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me.

barrett
05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Probably a sore hammy or something.

I would absolutely agree with the first part of this comment. He is the franchise. I would have to disagree with the second part though. In 2007 the Texans receiving corps played together admirably while Johnson was out. Two years later, with virtually the same offense in tact, add a run game and experience and I would argue that the Texans could probably improve on that admirable Johnson-less stretch and probably continue to perform pretty well. I recognize that our Win Loss record didn't show the team performing well but that time was critical in the development of Walter and the rest of the receivers. If that same event happened this season I think we could bounce back. Would we be glad to get him back? You bet? Do we feel like we can play at a high level without him? You bet. (That's my best Kubiak impression. What do you think?)

This gets me wondering what everyone else thinks. If we were to lose Johnson for the same 6 games again, with the 09' schedule, how do you think we'd do?

wk 3- Jax @ Hou : W I think we still win this game.
wk 4- Oak @ Hou: W again, we SHOULD be able to take care of biz even without A.J.
wk 5- Hou @ Cards: L This shoot out would probably come up short.
wk 6- Hou @ Cin: W maintaining T.O.P. and keeping the ball out of Palmers hands.
wk 7- S.F. @ Hou: W Improved Niners but they still lack the ability to put up points.
wk 8- Hou @ Buf: W This could go either way but I don't see loosing A.J. as enough to push us over the falls.
wk 9- Hou @ Ind: L This one would be too much to overcome most likely.

All in all I think we would really only be crippled in the two games where we'll probably need to put up 24+ to win. I see the Cards game as a should win as it stands currently where as the away game at Indy would be a blessing to come out with a W.(note: we would be loosing him in the Tacks game in week 2 so we might loose that one. Of course we might loose that one anyway even if he's healthy.)

Silver Oak
05-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I want to have to pay for playoff tickets this year.

first time I've seen that thought typed out, and it looks pretty damn sweet.

texanmojo
05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
first time I've seen that thought typed out, and it looks pretty damn sweet..

Felt pretty sweet typing it too!

TimeKiller
05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Because this is why:

Andre: Coach I farted like 10 minutes ago.
Kubiak: Okay, take the rest of the day off.
Almost anybody else: Coach I have something that really hurts.
Kubiak: So....are you quiting or what's the deal?
AAE: Well, I thought I could sit out like Andre...
Kubiak: Sure, right after you lead the league in being a badass.

BigBull17
05-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Its not a big deal. Dre doesn't need to work on much(anything). As long as he is ready for openning day, we're ok.

I would absolutely agree with the first part of this comment. He is the franchise. I would have to disagree with the second part though. In 2007 the Texans receiving corps played together admirably while Johnson was out. Two years later, with virtually the same offense in tact, add a run game and experience and I would argue that the Texans could probably improve on that admirable Johnson-less stretch and probably continue to perform pretty well. I recognize that our Win Loss record didn't show the team performing well but that time was critical in the development of Walter and the rest of the receivers. If that same event happened this season I think we could bounce back. Would we be glad to get him back? You bet? Do we feel like we can play at a high level without him? You bet. (That's my best Kubiak impression. What do you think?)

This gets me wondering what everyone else thinks. If we were to lose Johnson for the same 6 games again, with the 09' schedule, how do you think we'd do?

wk 3- Jax @ Hou : W I think we still win this game.
wk 4- Oak @ Hou: W again, we SHOULD be able to take care of biz even without A.J.
wk 5- Hou @ Cards: L This shoot out would probably come up short.
wk 6- Hou @ Cin: W maintaining T.O.P. and keeping the ball out of Palmers hands.
wk 7- S.F. @ Hou: W Improved Niners but they still lack the ability to put up points.
wk 8- Hou @ Buf: W This could go either way but I don't see loosing A.J. as enough to push us over the falls.
wk 9- Hou @ Ind: L This one would be too much to overcome most likely.

All in all I think we would really only be crippled in the two games where we'll probably need to put up 24+ to win. I see the Cards game as a should win as it stands currently where as the away game at Indy would be a blessing to come out with a W.(note: we would be loosing him in the Tacks game in week 2 so we might loose that one. Of course we might loose that one anyway even if he's healthy.)

I agree with this to an extent. I think we would be a good offense even if he did go down for a short period of time, but our run game would suffer the most. With Walter, D.A, O.D, Casey, Slaton, JJ, AD, and our Oline we would not miss a whole lot. Just one of the best players in the NFL. We would really miss him when we played the elite teams.

SheTexan
05-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I want to have to pay for playoff tickets this year.

Working my butt off this off season with just that one thought in mind! SAVE, SAVE, SAVE, for the big show!!

drewmar74
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Because this is why:

Andre: Coach I farted like 10 minutes ago.
Kubiak: Okay, take the rest of the day off.
Almost anybody else: Coach I have something that really hurts.
Kubiak: So....are you quiting or what's the deal?
AAE: Well, I thought I could sit out like Andre...
Kubiak: Sure, right after you lead the league in being a badass.

:spit:

Dude, I'd rep you if I could.....