PDA

View Full Version : Glover Quin

76Texan
05-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Some highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNsxMdxPlSw

jaayteetx
05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Played right here in New Mexico, if only I would've known he would get drafted by the Texans!

TimeKiller
05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I know it's a highlight reel but it's hard to not get excited over a player like Quin. I know his 40 was like a 4.5 but it seems to translate to the field very well. Maybe he's not a burner but this guy isn't slow. My gut feeling is that out of the 3 mid-round CBs we've picked up so far he looks the most polished and I'm a big advocate of seeing Bennett on the field. Our nickel and dime defenses might start looking scary with these guys, Dunta and the new pass rushing emphasis.

hot pickle
05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
i still dont know how to pronounce his first name lol

ObsiWan
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
i still dont know how to pronounce his first name lol

ht.com sez its GLOW-ver

not GLUH-ver

DiehardChris
05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
ht.com sez its GLOW-ver

not GLUH-ver

Yet, the player himself says the V is silent.

It's a mystery.

Goldensilence
05-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I know it's a highlight reel but it's hard to not get excited over a player like Quin. I know his 40 was like a 4.5 but it seems to translate to the field very well. Maybe he's not a burner but this guy isn't slow. My gut feeling is that out of the 3 mid-round CBs we've picked up so far he looks the most polished and I'm a big advocate of seeing Bennett on the field. Our nickel and dime defenses might start looking scary with these guys, Dunta and the new pass rushing emphasis.

I agree about it just being a highlight reel but you can't help but come off impressed. Ran a 4.5 but Vontae Davis ran a 4.49 and Jenkins 4.54. He's like Jenkins in that he's he doesn't have elite speed but just seems to be a natural at the position. What really impressed me is how he would shed tackles and find the ball in run support and that he knows what to do when he got the ball, get up field.

The reality is that the most veteran CB we have on the roster is Dunta, whose in a contract dispute nicely put. These young guys are going to see some PT this off-season.

mexican_texan
05-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Yet, the player himself says the V is silent.

It's a mystery.
I hate those silent letters. I'm going to step up and change my name to Qjohn, the Q is silent.

I don't remember Molden making the type of impression Quin has made so far; that said, I expect Molden to be a #2 corner, Quin a nickelback.

beerlover
05-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Quinn also has impressive NFL worthy measureables. you know I was down w/pick @ time but he could be a solid contributor his rookie season with a shot in a couple years to start depending on team needs.

ObsiWan
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
from the HT.com photo page...

the caption sez:

Rookie CB Glover Quin picked off two passes during the first week of OTAs
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10253.jpg

And that Mike Jones (UDFA, Az State) he's battling

TheRealJoker
05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Quinn looks like the prototype nickel CB. A little undersized and without the straight line speed to be a #1 or #2 but excels using his quickness, physicality, and ball skills to cover the opposing team's slot WRs.

I cant wait to watch him go one on one with David Anderson in TC :)

He should be an upgrade in the nickel packages this season, but lets not get too hasty about having him take on the other team's # 1 or # 2 WR.

BigBull17
05-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I hate those silent letters. I'm going to step up and change my name to Qjohn, the Q is silent.

I don't remember Molden making the type of impression Quin has made so far; that said, I expect Molden to be a #2 corner, Quin a nickelback.

Who do you have as the #1 CB?

RipTraxx
05-23-2009, 03:34 PM

I really like molden. he did everything Rogers-Cromartie did in the combine. He was a hell of a special teams player. but good ol' Dick never put him on the field.

BigBull17
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I really like molden. he did everything Rogers-Cromartie did in the combine. He was a hell of a special teams player. but good ol' Dick never put him on the field.

Who sits? Reeves came on very strong toward the end of the season. If you resign Dunta how does he sit? That would put Molden as nickle.

mexican_texan
05-23-2009, 07:09 PM
I have Dunta as the #1 for the time being. I think Molden is going to need a year as a dime or nickle back.

Mac#5
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Quinn looks like the prototype nickel CB. A little undersized and without the straight line speed to be a #1 or #2 but excels using his quickness, physicality, and ball skills to cover the opposing team's slot WRs.

I cant wait to watch him go one on one with David Anderson in TC :)

He should be an upgrade in the nickel packages this season, but lets not get too hasty about having him take on the other team's # 1 or # 2 WR.

I can see him playing safety. he already has the cover skills and he is a very good tackler also.

Mac#5
05-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Some highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNsxMdxPlSw

Anyone notice how fast the quarter back was around the 1:52 mark... he looked like the fastest player on the field.

Hardcore Texan
05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I have Dunta as the #1 for the time being. I think Molden is going to need a year as a dime or nickle back.

What about Bennet? And what about Reeves, no way he plays behind Molden. He played pretty well down the stretch and we don't have anyone better?

I see it like this:

#1 Dunta
#2 Reeves
#3 Bennet/Molden
#4 the one who misses out at #3
#5 Quin

Molden has a lot to prove, he had that injury last year and didn't exactly make a huge splash. Bennet had a pretty significant drop off from his rookie year, can he turn it around? Quin could leap frog Molden and possibly Bennet if they stay stagnant.

GP
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
He plays that DB spot with a WR mentality. When the ball is in the air, he's trying to adjust and go to the ball like he's a WR who is trying to catch it. He uses the positioning of the WR to gauge where to go, and he's beating the WR to the spot where the ball will be.

Just off that highlight reel, he looks pretty fearless and very aggressive on trying to play the ball and not the WR.

Of course, a highlight reel doesn't show those times when he's getting schooled. I wonder if he got burned a lot.

BigBull17
05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
What about Bennet? And what about Reeves, no way he plays behind Molden. He played pretty well down the stretch and we don't have anyone better?

I see it like this:

#1 Dunta
#2 Reeves
#3 Bennet/Molden
#5 Quin

Molden has a lot to prove, he had that injury last year and didn't exactly make a huge splash. Bennet had a pretty significant drop off from his rookie year, can he turn it around? Quin could leap frog Molden and possibly Bennet if they stay stagnant.

I think Quin will be in that 4th slot, with the guy who looses the #3 spot falling 5th. If there is an injury to Wilson or Fergeson, look for Quin to take snaps there.

He plays that DB spot with a WR mentality. When the ball is in the air, he's trying to adjust and go to the ball like he's a WR who is trying to catch it. He uses the positioning of the WR to gauge where to go, and he's beating the WR to the spot where the ball will be.

Just off that highlight reel, he looks pretty fearless and very aggressive on trying to play the ball and not the WR.

Of course, a highlight reel doesn't show those times when he's getting schooled. I wonder if he got burned a lot.

Thats what we have been lacking in the secondary. A playmaker.

TheRealJoker
05-24-2009, 01:12 PM

I see it like this:

#1 Dunta
#2 Reeves
#3 Bennet/Molden
#5 Quin

I think Quinn will end up having the nickel back job locked up by the time we start the season. Bennett/Molden will be battling for primary backup to the #1/2 CBs.

D-Frank
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Nick Scurfield corrected it in the practice report on ht.com
Glover had 3 picks in 4 practices it was 3 in a row last one being
on last thursday. just sayin:twocents:

Texan JBZ
05-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Quin is from a very, very, very small town is Mississippi. The fact that he even made it to the NFL should be a testament to his talent. I can't wait to see what he can do once the pads are on.