PDA

View Full Version : Where's Vick when you need him?

Texan JBZ
05-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Another story of why I hate pit bulls and anybody with small kids should be outlawed against owning them:

According to a neighbor, one of three pit bulls in Mr. Harrison's home on Matterhorn Drive in Franklin Park got loose yesterday afternoon and attacked the child, James Harrison III. Another family member may also have been injured in the attack.

Read more: "Steelers' Harrison's son bitten by his pit bull" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09142/972024-100.stm#ixzz0GAfjxNOd&A

We've had other discussions on here about the dangers of owning pits. I'll preface my opinions by saying that I'm a big dog guy. I love German Rottweilers and can't wait to get another one once my daughter is old enough. But pit bulls are another story. That's why I don't blame Vick too much for fighting them. Now, the way he went about torturing them is deplorable. But anybody out there who thinks that pit bulls are good for anything except fighting is fooling themselves. They're just like prize race horses. They're built for two things, winning money and breeding. This is just another example of many as to why people shouldn't own pit bulls with small kids. I hope Harrison's kid is okay, and I pray to God that he's learned his leason about pit bulls.

gtexan02
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
When i worked in the Texas Children's Hospital ER, I watched a few surgeries from children who had been bitten by various dogs. The worst bite was from a golden retriever. Lets not turn this into another pit bull debate. Its a sad incident that wouldn't have even made the news if it hadn't been a famous NFL player

Texan_Bill
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
When i worked in the Texas Children's Hospital ER, I watched a few surgeries from children who had been bitten by various dogs. The worst bite was from a golden retriever. Lets not turn this into another pit bull debate. Its a sad incident that wouldn't have even made the news if it hadn't been a famous NFL player

Thank YOU!!!

Texan JBZ
05-22-2009, 02:04 PM

I can understand where you're coming from, but how often do you hear of a golden retriever biting a kid versus a pit bull. I don't want to turn this into another pit bull debate, but the facts are the facts.

gtexan02
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I can understand where you're coming from, but how often do you hear of a golden retriever biting a kid versus a pit bull. I don't want to turn this into another pit bull debate, but the facts are the facts.

You sure seem to :) No one is going to argue that pit bulls aren't typically more aggressive than other dogs. Its a trait thats been bred into them. But when you read in the story that the dog "got loose" and bit the kid, that tells me a lot right there. Was this a family dog or was it for protection? Was it a pet or was it chained up outside?

If this dog was used as a defense mechanism or was being trained to fight, what can we expect? Again, no one is going to argue that pits arent more liable to be problem dogs. But there is such a strong relationship to the type of people and type of owners that are likely to have pit bulls and the way they are treated, that its difficult to ascertain how much is dog and how much is lifestyle. Why hasn't rachel ray's dog bitten her? Why haven't any of ceasar milan's many pit bulls gone crazy and killed each other or their family? Theres a lot of factors at play here, and media is a big part of it. just like the rotweiler/german shephard/doberman have all been villified in the past, its all a big circular mess

Khari
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
rachel ray has pitbulls?

HoustonFrog
05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe he should have accepted that White House invite.:specnatz:

Goldensilence
05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
My Fiance and I have an 8 year old half pit and half brown lab whom I love dearly. Truth is though, much as I love her I will never fully trust her. She's amazing in the sense she checks her agression well and usually grabs a toy in her mouth when we come close to rough housing to protect us in case she goes overboard. We also have a 1 year old Lab that she loves but again I only trust her so much with him when they play. My fiance gets on to me for yelling at the pit mix whe nshe gets snippy, I just worry that she'll snap like some of the other pits I've heard about.

They're like wolf mixes, might be nice dogs but if you are mistaken if you trust them 100%.

I'm not saying ban the breed but I think they should be dealt with like sex offenders. Any time an owner with one moves into the neighborhood or purchases one the entire neighborhood should be notified so they can be aware of it being there.

Texan_Bill
05-22-2009, 02:57 PM

OzzO
05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
If a chihuahua (hua) had a bigger mouth, I betcha they'd take over the news. Those are angry little dogs.

gtexan02
05-22-2009, 04:25 PM
rachel ray has pitbulls?

http://www.bfeedme.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/rachel-ray-isaboo-dog-bite-3-6-07.jpg

nunusguy
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I've never heard about a retriever of any kind chewing on somebody, but it seems to be almost commonplace for Pitt Bulls to do it.
I'd be all for the Steelers LBs dog spending a weekend of "training" at Vicks place because as far as I'm concerned this planet already has way too many Pitt Bulls.

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
If a chihuahua (hua) had a bigger mouth, I betcha they'd take over the news. Those are angry little dogs.

I'd be angry too if I had such a little asshole.:gun:

Maddict5
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
When Harrison was asked by a doctor if it would be okay to put his son's face back together, he replied "No it's not okay! You wouldnt even be talking to me if my son was not attacked by a dog, so why are you talking to me now? You would be talking to the Cardinals if they were attacked by a dog."

nunusguy
05-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Larry Little, Rams DE, did 90 days in jail after killing another human being because he was driving drunk. How many knew that ? And Vick does 2 years for killing some vicous animals ?
Get off Vicks case and let him have another chance in the NFL people !

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Larry Little, Rams DE, did 90 days in jail after killing another human being because he was driving drunk. How many knew that ? And Vick does 2 years for killing some vicous animals ?

The laws in St. Louis have since changed. Today, 90 days would simply be "foreplay." Likewise, the rules and level of enforcement in the NFL have significantly evolved from those in 1998. You can guarantee lifetime ban today for NFL betting. If you want to go back in time to the mid-60's, a "little known player" by the name of Paul Hornung was suspended for only 1 year by Pete Rozelle for "betting on NFL games and associating with gamblers." Things change with time and experience, as they should, as people try to beat the system.......and some still do.

Texan JBZ
05-22-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm with you. I made the title of the thread trying to add just a smidge of humor to a sad situation. Vick has paid his debt to society and deserves another chance. I put this in another thread, but look at Donte Stallworth right now. Where's the outrage? He got behind the wheel over the limit and killed a man. Where's all the cameras and protestors? Are the lives of dogs valued over the lives of human beings? I wonder how much time he'll get, or even if he gets any time.

(Side Note: It's Leonard Little)

I just get tired of hearing about these dogs attacking people, especially kids. When are people going to learn about the dangers of owning pit bulls?

JPPT1974
05-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Guy maybe blacklisted by all NFL teams! Would surprise me if, someone took him.

CTWade
05-22-2009, 10:17 PM
From what I understand pitbulls have surprisingly good people skills... their handlers don't want the dogs to turn on them, after all. My experience speaks to such-had a pitbull for a while, was always a calm and gentle dog.

Vick has paid his debt to society and deserves another chance.

You two can speak for yourselves. I for one hope Vick never tarnishes my beloved sport with his bloodied hands ever again. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and it's a privilege Vick lost when he killed those animals in my opinion.

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2009, 08:32 AM

Goodell made no bones about putting the NFL on notice that he would be making changes that would strengthen the NFL Personal Conduct Policy (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-10-new-conduct-policy_N.htm):

"It is important that the NFL be represented consistently by outstanding people as well as great football players, coaches, and staff," Goodell said. "We hold ourselves to higher standards of responsible conduct because of what it means to be part of the National Football League. We have long had policies and programs designed to encourage responsible behavior, and this policy is a further step in ensuring that everyone who is part of the NFL meets that standard. We will continue to review the policy and modify it as warranted."

The strengthened standards apply to all NFL employees: players, coaches, officials, owners, front-office and league personnel. And Goodell emphasized in the new policy that those standards will be considerably tighter than outside the league.

"It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime," the new policy says. "Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.

"Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

As Infantrycak He hasn't paid the price set under the collective bargaining agreement for the gambling offenses which can be up to lifetime ban. and I have pointed out in the Vick thread, it's not only his disgusting cruel acts that come into play in deciding application of the Conduct Policy.

infantrycak
05-23-2009, 01:51 PM
But when you read in the story that the dog "got loose" and bit the kid, that tells me a lot right there. Was this a family dog or was it for protection? Was it a pet or was it chained up outside?

I don't want to turn this into a debate either but I absolutely believe you are onto something here. MANY of the folks that own pits treat them like dirt - chain them in the backyard, chuck some food at them every couple days, etc. It isn't surprising to me when ANY breed treated like that acts erratically.

SouthSideTexan
05-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Guy maybe blacklisted by all NFL teams! Would surprise me if, someone took him.

I hear the 49ers might be looking for a QB.....

Texan JBZ
05-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't want to turn this into a debate either but I absolutely believe you are onto something here. MANY of the folks that own pits treat them like dirt - chain them in the backyard, chuck some food at them every couple days, etc. It isn't surprising to me when ANY breed treated like that acts erratically.

That's not true Cak. It doesn't matter how you treat pits. You can be the best owner and treat that dog better than u treat ur own kids. It won't matter. I just think that too many people have never had direct contact with the breed enough to know its ways. I'm not saying that every pit bull on earth is a bad dog, but u certainly can't trust one no matter how good u treat it. They're just not a smart breed of dog no matter how well they are trained.

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2009, 07:32 PM
There's some truth to both sides of the argument. Pit bulls are innately very aggressive to other dogs once they reach sexual maturity. You cannot trust them around any other dogs. They have a somewhat overlapping aggression towards humans to varying degrees. Certainly, how they are brought up and treated can be a determining factor. However, over the years, I have put back together my share of apparently unprovoked pit bull victims including small children whose only crime at the time was being perceived as a Happy-Meal with legs.

Grams
05-23-2009, 11:32 PM
A lot of the problem with pit bulls is the way they are bred. If one goes through a registered AKC breeder one will get a better dog. But backyard breeders will ruin any type of breed as they do not check the health history, etc. This also happens with other breeds, esp those that are in pet stores that come from puppy mills.

I am not a pit bull fan myself. Way too may articles about attacks for no apparent reason about them. I had a friend who had a sheltie and a pit bull dug under the fence to tear the sheltie to pieces. I sure do not want my grandchildren anywhere near one. But well bred dogs do not have the problems that come with backyard breeders.

otisbean
05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I own 4 mastiffs and love big dogs. I have been around alot of Pits. Two of the sweetest and smartest dogs I have seen were pits. Breeding and how you raise them makes a HUGE difference. I feel sorry for the breed. Too many knuckleheads get a hold of them because they are "tough" dogs and have no idea how to raise them properly, and these same knuckle heads try to breed them, even worse. Pits should not be aggressive towards humans, there are naturally dog aggressive, some more then others. If breeders would start to breed out the dog aggressiveness you would have an awesome dog, but I doubt that will ever happen. I also have to say I doubt I would ever own a pit simply for liability issues, but don't be so quick to blame the breed when more often then not its the breeders and owners.

GP
05-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind it if the pit bull breed vanished from the earth.

There's no debating the stark reality that pit bulls are violent and prone to this sort of crap. There's an element of viciousness there, inside them, that's unique and scary.

Let's place any other breed of dog in the back of a pickup, and a pit bull in the back of another pickup. You get to choose which pickup you walk by. Which pickup would all of us choose to walk by? There is nothing other than a rattlesnake that causes me to seize up in such fear and cold-sweat panic as walking along and seeing a loose pit bull in my path or in a yard with a 3-foot fence.

There are a lot of things that are gray-area. And a few that are black-and-white. The "Whether or not a pit bull is good for this world" is not a gray area in my opinion.

TimeKiller
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Pit bulls bite.

Sky is blue.

Fire is hot.

1+1=2

gtexan02
05-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Pit bulls bite.

Sky is blue.

Fire is hot.

1+1=2

And people generalize and stereotype.

I dont even like pit bulls, I just find it sad how many people buy into the negative hype

Specnatz
05-24-2009, 11:25 PM

Larry Little was also order to never drink again. He did the time he got from judge and jury, comparing two different crimes just because you have a hatred for a certain breed of dogs is ignorant.

if you want to say Little's punishment was not stiff enough then fine but to say Vick should only get a certain sentence because someone got a certain sentence is just plain wrong.

Hey OJ killed two people and got off so should Little have gotten off? I mean he only killed one.

Specnatz
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
That's not true Cak. It doesn't matter how you treat pits. You can be the best owner and treat that dog better than u treat ur own kids. It won't matter. I just think that too many people have never had direct contact with the breed enough to know its ways. I'm not saying that every pit bull on earth is a bad dog, but u certainly can't trust one no matter how good u treat it. They're just not a smart breed of dog no matter how well they are trained.

So how many PitBulls have you been around? Of those how many have bitten someone?

I have owned a pit and the worst thing about him was hits farts at night. Your are making falls claims about all pits because of your hatred of them. You are using your opinion as fact. It is hilarious what some of y'all say about pits and have never been around them and you expect us to believe every word without question, just mind boggling.

CloakNNNdagger
05-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I own 4 mastiffs and love big dogs. I have been around alot of Pits. Two of the sweetest and smartest dogs I have seen were pits. Breeding and how you raise them makes a HUGE difference. I feel sorry for the breed. Too many knuckleheads get a hold of them because they are "tough" dogs and have no idea how to raise them properly, and these same knuckle heads try to breed them, even worse. Pits should not be aggressive towards humans, there are naturally dog aggressive, some more then others. If breeders would start to breed out the dog aggressiveness you would have an awesome dog, but I doubt that will ever happen. I also have to say I doubt I would ever own a pit simply for liability issues, but don't be so quick to blame the breed when more often then not its the breeders and owners.

You know whats funny? In Victorian days when the "sport" was first popularized, a neutral referee was often required to separate the dogs during the fights. In those days, handler/breeders were expected to breed strictly for dog aggression, and with absolutely no aggression towards humans. If the pits demonstrated any aggression towards the ref, it was destroyed. Certainly, that is not the rule that the "knuckle head" breeders (which seem to be in the majority) have adhered to since the breed was brought to the U.S. Meanwhile, as Ben Franklin once said, “Distrust and caution are the parents of security.”

OzzO
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Hard to believe the little rascals survived for such a long time with such a ferocious animal within arms reach. Poor Spanky.

Texan JBZ
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
So how many PitBulls have you been around? Of those how many have bitten someone?

I have owned a pit and the worst thing about him was hits farts at night. Your are making falls claims about all pits because of your hatred of them. You are using your opinion as fact. It is hilarious what some of y'all say about pits and have never been around them and you expect us to believe every word without question, just mind boggling.

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. I've been around too many pits in my life to count. My buddy back in Alabama used to raise them. I would help him train the younger ones. He doesn't do it anymore because, by his own words, they are too damn dumb and dangerous. I owned one as a puppy, but I gave it away to a friend because my sister was too young at the time. Another buddy of mine who I lived with for a while had one named Capone. Capone was about 10 weeks at the time, and since I had experience training them, I helped him out too. The absolute worst thing about trying to train a pit is to get them stop biting on everything. When they are teething, I dare you or anyone else to leave them in your house alone for a couple of hours. They'll chew up everything. You also have to very careful at how you train them. Smarter breeds, such as German Sheperds, can be trained using aggression and a forceful master. That doesn't always translate with pits. They are already too aggressive, so you have to try to be passive-active with them but it's very difficult because they don't retain a lot of their training. So you see, I'm not just talking out of my ass.

And as a said, I'm not comdemning every pit on the face of the earth. Capone was a good dog until he died, although he did get loose and chew up the neighbors mutt. Did you know that pits like to wallow around in blood after they killed something? So if you had a pit that was a good dog, good for you. I'll tell you like this though. I you ever trusted it for a split second, then you are a fool. You can never ever trust one. That's why my homeboy stopped raising them, because his best one turned on him. And I know for a fact that he treated his dogs like kings and queens. If you are single and have no small kids, then get you one. If you keep it outside, just make sure you have high and sturdy fences. My buddy that lives over off of Windfern has a neighbor on the backside of him with two pits. He showed me a spot on his fence the last time I was over there where he was cutting the grass in his backyard and the dog tried to break down the fence to get him.

In the end, you can believe what you want to believe. I just know that they're not good dogs to have unless you're single and know exactly how to handle the breed. Even then, they're still not good dogs to have.

infantrycak
05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
In the end, you can believe what you want to believe. I just know that they're not good dogs to have unless you're single and know exactly how to handle the breed. Even then, they're still not good dogs to have.

To each their own. All I know is I have had hundreds of encounters with pits, virtually all in the presence of my dogs and children, and never had a bad encounter. Do bad things happen with pits, sure, but I am not going to negate all that experience over a few encounters particularly when I don't know the background on how those dogs have been kept and which would also indict most other breeds if the same standard were applied.

CloakNNNdagger
05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
The UK in 1991 enacted The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, which banned the breeding and sale or exchange of four breeds: pit bull terriers, Japanese tosas, the dogo argentinos, and the fila brasileiros. Cross-breeds of those dogs are covered by the law. Other dogs appearing to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose were also outlawed. Only very limited and very difficult to obtain exemptions are available from the government. The Act mandates owners of pit bulls have to have them registered, insured, neutered and keep them muzzled and on a lead at all times in public. They must also be tatooed and must be implanted with microchips which carry all pertinent information about the dog including the owner. If a dog injures someone, the owner can be jailed for up to two years. A dog considered dangerously out of control in a public place will be destroyed and the owner fined and imprisoned for up to six months.

The Act stands today. Similar laws exist in many other countries. There is probably a good reason.

Texan JBZ
05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
The UK in 1991 enacted The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, which banned the breeding and sale or exchange of four breeds: pit bull terriers, Japanese tosas, the dogo argentinos, and the fila brasileiros. Cross-breeds of those dogs are covered by the law. Other dogs appearing to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose were also outlawed. Only very limited and very difficult to obtain exemptions are available from the government. The Act mandates owners of pit bulls have to have them registered, insured, neutered and keep them muzzled and on a lead at all times in public. They must also be tatooed and must be implanted with microchips which carry all pertinent information about the dog including the owner. If a dog injures someone, the owner can be jailed for up to two years. A dog considered dangerously out of control in a public place will be destroyed and the owner fined and imprisoned for up to six months.

The Act stands today. Similar laws exist in many other countries. There is probably a good reason.

Wow! Good find. I had no England had this law. It's a good one and there should be a law similar to this in this country.

Texecutioner
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Another story of why I hate pit bulls and anybody with small kids should be outlawed against owning them:

According to a neighbor, one of three pit bulls in Mr. Harrison's home on Matterhorn Drive in Franklin Park got loose yesterday afternoon and attacked the child, James Harrison III. Another family member may also have been injured in the attack.

Read more: "Steelers' Harrison's son bitten by his pit bull" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09142/972024-100.stm#ixzz0GAfjxNOd&A

We've had other discussions on here about the dangers of owning pits. I'll preface my opinions by saying that I'm a big dog guy. I love German Rottweilers and can't wait to get another one once my daughter is old enough. But pit bulls are another story. That's why I don't blame Vick too much for fighting them. Now, the way he went about torturing them is deplorable. But anybody out there who thinks that pit bulls are good for anything except fighting is fooling themselves. They're just like prize race horses. They're built for two things, winning money and breeding. This is just another example of many as to why people shouldn't own pit bulls with small kids. I hope Harrison's kid is okay, and I pray to God that he's learned his leason about pit bulls.

That is a very wild assertion that Pit Bulls are only good for winning money through fighting and breeding.

I've been around a ton of Pit Bulls my entire life, and I'll stand pat that the majority of Pit Bulls that do this kind of stuff are from irresponsible owners that think it's cool to have a Pit Bull and don't have a clue about dogs. Most Pit Bull owners chain them up in the backyards, teach them to be mean and aggressive, and don't have them as family dogs.

And another big reason why you hear about Pit Bull attacks more often is because of so many people that have them. They are one of the most popular dogs out there, so with higher numbers of them, you'll have a higher number of attacks.

I can't think of really any Pit Bull that I've been around that was raised well in the house and treated properly since it was a puppy. Most of them have been very gentle and sweet dogs. But I've also seen and known people that had them that kept them on chains in the backyard and didn't hardly ever give them a lot of love or attention and I wouldn't hardly go anywhere near their dogs.

Polo
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
IMHO, Pittbulls are more likely to attack than many other breeds simply because of how they are made.

Just like a person in the US is more likely to get shot vs. being stabbed.

Pittbull = gun.

Golden retriever = knife.

No one is buying golden retrievers for protection or fighting.

And really it's not an indictment of the dog but rather an indictment on how humans have used them.

Texecutioner
05-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Personally Icak, I'd say about 80% of all Pit Bull owners don't know jack about dogs and don't buy them so they can be family house dogs and sweet pets like you do with your boxers or possibly like Gtexan with his Pit Bull.

Go to any random hood, and the majority of people that own dogs out there will all pretty much have Pit Bulls and they'll be chained up in their back yards, or even their yards without a fence where the dog is just drooling any time something that walks comes anywhere near their yard. Either that, or you've got the guys that will breed them like crazy because they think it's cool and could care less who the hell buys dogs from them and wouldn't even dream of making their buyers fill out an application like responsible breeders do with their puppies who actually "care" about their pups having a good lifestyle.

I had a buddy that lived in South Park back in the day off of Belfort and MLK and I'd go over there every now and then. All of his buddies were into Pits. A lot of them fought them, and breeded them like crazy, and hell half of their neighborhood was always around trying to steal pit bull puppies from one another. A lot of people don't realize how frequently pit bulls are stolen and tossed around from home to home and then just eventually chained up in someone's yard to kill anything that goes near it or the yard. My buddy had two white Pit Bulls chained up and never played with them hardly. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near those dogs man.

Owning any dog is not for everyone. Owning a Pit Bull is really really not for everyone. At this point, personally I would rather see the states put some sort of measures out there in order to stop any random person from owning a PIt Bull. Not because the Pit Bulls are the bigger part of the problem, but because the owners are in my opinion and it isn't fair to the dogs. Maybe if their was a few classes that someone would have to take to legally own one, there wouldn't be near as many of these stupid douche bags buying them that don't treat them properly and make these animals more dangerous to the rest of us. If they had something like this in place, I think you would have a lot of less Pit Bull attacks because not as many people would be buying them in the future, the owners that would get them would have to really want one to where they would take the time to take the classes, and they would know a lot more about how to treat their animal and become more educated from it.

It's a sad thing for the Pit Bulls all over the place that so many of them have to have such douche bag owners that play a strong role into making so many of them vicious or where they have characteristics of poor behavior where they get themselves into trouble.

Texecutioner
05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
There's some truth to both sides of the argument. Pit bulls are innately very aggressive to other dogs once they reach sexual maturity. You cannot trust them around any other dogs. They have a somewhat overlapping aggression towards humans to varying degrees. Certainly, how they are brought up and treated can be a determining factor. However, over the years, I have put back together my share of apparently unprovoked pit bull victims including small children whose only crime at the time was being perceived as a Happy-Meal with legs.

Well that is why a lot of the "Smart" and responsible dog owners neuter their male dogs as soon as they are old enough to be neutered because it takes away a lot of the aggression in them and makes them more relaxed. That goes for any breed of dog as well. If it isn't in your plans to breed your dog with another dog, then why not neuter a male dog that can get aggressive at times with other dogs or with other people?