PDA

View Full Version : Travis......you're fired!

HoustonFrog
05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Only a matter of time...should have been a long time ago. Heard the sound byte this morning and Kubiak's tone told the story...not happy. If you got a long way to go at this point, chalk him up to a cut.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6432377.html

“It’s not good. He needs to be out there. He needs to be out there helping the football team, and he’s got a long, long way to go as a player. But he’s got issues, so we’ll get the issues solved and then we’ll let him get out there .”

RipTraxx
05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Only a matter of time...should have been a long time ago. Heard the sound byte this morning and Kubiak's tone told the story...not happy. If you got a logn way to go at this point, chalk him up to a cut.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6432377.html

Not that he's done anything but a fluke INT. And knock trent green out....

I think for the plays that he was actually in..Deljuan Robinson was far more productive.

As far as Smith being out...maybe this is a sign for Conner Barwin to step in as the starter (wishful thinking = Mario, Okoye, Robinson, Barwin)

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2009, 09:58 AM
We know about Travis and his issues, what I didn't know was Antonio Smith's hamstring issues. Oy vey.

TheRealJoker
05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Wouldn't Bulman be starting in place of Smith at this point? I thought that Barwin was "officially" Mario's backup and will come in at either DE in passing situations.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I was unaware of this thread at the time I posted in the OTA thread. Here are my thoughts.

If you happen to watch the video from HT.com, it's quite apparent that Kubiak's pissed at TJ. He did the same crap last year with something supposedly wrong with his crotch. Do we even know what it is this year? I mean, wtf does "issues" mean?

Look, I actually think TJ is better than most give him credit for around here, but he seems like he's a sloth when it comes to practice. That's not a good thing.

BigBull17
05-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm kinda worried that Smith is already dinged up. He needs to be in there learning the defense. Hope this isn't some sign of things to come.

TimeKiller
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
We used to call it "chub rub" in drum corps. Too much sweaty skin rubbing on too much sweaty skin. It's gross and it looks painful.

We all know where TJ is at as a player and how he's morphed from a first round pick. He's good but on a team with the talent level continuing to rise....good enough? Robinson looks like the first choice to replace him, I'm sure Cody is excited to have a real gig and will come out on fire, if Frank Okam develops any game whatsoever at his size I can't imagine not putting him on the field.

I'm sure there is a playbook for DE/DT but I doubt it's anything close to what a LB or DB has to learn.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2009, 10:24 AM
If you watch the video, it looks like TJ is slapping his knee while showing a limp as he gingerly walks down the field..........he could possibly be suffering from that well-known, multi-faceted diagnosis of "knee-jerk" syndrome.:mcnugget:

MojoMan
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
We all know where TJ is at as a player and how he's morphed from a first round pick. He's good but on a team with the talent level continuing to rise....good enough? Robinson looks like the first choice to replace him, I'm sure Cody is excited to have a real gig and will come out on fire, if Frank Okam develops any game whatsoever at his size I can't imagine not putting him on the field.

Well said. TJ is a good player, but he is obviously annoying Coach Kubiak. I suspect that TJ will be the starter come opening day. But this team's list of player needs is clearly getting shorter and shorter. TJ would be wise to remain aware of that.

gtexan02
05-20-2009, 11:50 AM
This sounds like Jacoby Jones all over again. If you asked Kubiak enough, i bet he'd mention something about being a "pro"

Shaft75
05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
For all that are saying TJ is a good player...

I suggest that you go back and watch some of the games this year. I remember him being in Demeco's lap several times this year and he can't take a double fo shizzle. Thank god Kubiak is finally seeing the bigger picture with him. Maybe this "kid" out of Hawaii might turn into a good rotation guy.

JCTexan
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Not that he's done anything but a fluke INT. And knock trent green out....

I think for the plays that he was actually in..Deljuan Robinson was far more productive.

As far as Smith being out...maybe this is a sign for Conner Barwin to step in as the starter (wishful thinking = Mario, Okoye, Robinson, Barwin)

Except Barwin is still in school until June. Smith doesn't have to worry about losing his job to someone who's not even at OTA's.

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
If you watch the video, it looks like TJ is slapping his knee while showing a limp as he gingerly walks down the field..........he could possibly be suffering from that well-known, multi-faceted diagnosis of "knee-jerk" syndrome.:mcnugget:

*groans*

Cjeremy635
05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I remember watching the news the other day and they were showing the guys running. TJ was lagging behind and looking lethargic. I wasn't surprised, just shook my head. I've always kinda liked the guy, but his play is definately subpar. It would be nice to have a playmaker in his spot instead of a filler, and I think that's the only role he fills right now.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
For all that are saying TJ is a good player...

I suggest that you go back and watch some of the games this year. I remember him being in Demeco's lap several times this year and he can't take a double fo shizzle. Thank god Kubiak is finally seeing the bigger picture with him. Maybe this "kid" out of Hawaii might turn into a good rotation guy.

Sure, he got pushed around, but which DT didn't? Okoye was blasted off the line more than most. Zgonina lost more battles than he won.

I'm definitely not going to say he's worth the 1st round draft pick, but he hasn't been our worst DT.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Here's the latest comments from Kubiak on TJ. That damn "pelvic region" again!

(on DT Travis Johnson’s situation) “Well, it hasn’t changed. You know, he was having a good offseason. Like I said yesterday, everything was going fine, and it got time to go back to work and he’s got some issues bothering him: a hamstring, I think his pelvic region, his knee was sore. So we’ll do everything we can to get Travis healthy before we get him out here.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5296

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Here's the latest comments from Kubiak on TJ. That damn "pelvic region" again!

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5296

Has he been dating Madonna or something?

badboy
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Name that player!
"Just sitting here drawing my paycheck and waiting to see how far we get in playoffs".
T Johnson or TMac? I want a player named TBone.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Has he been dating Madonna or something?

Ha, I dunno, but he seems like a major slacker to me. Heck, he even slacks off at practices open to fans. I recall many times watching him basically half-ass through things.

rush2112mn
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't think Travis has much of the cliff to stand on.....maybe hanging on by two hands.....he could be cut this year by end of training camp..........

RipTraxx
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think Travis has much of the cliff to stand on.....maybe hanging on by two hands.....he could be cut this year by end of training camp..........

Only problem i see is that since he's in a contract year...we might take a serious cap hit..the one that Smithiak has worked so hard to restore.

Hervoyel
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
My problem with TJ stems from the fact that he's a first round draft pick and we've rarely been able to find a street free agent who couldn't do exactly what he does or more.

That and he should be "Derrick" Johnson instead of "Travis" Johnson. I'll never forgive Charlie Casserly for that. It's just too easy to look at our linebackers and think "We could be starting Derrick Johnson, DeMeco Ryans, and Brian Cushing back there."

Goldensilence
05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
My problem with TJ stems from the fact that he's a first round draft pick and we've rarely been able to find a street free agent who couldn't do exactly what he does or more.

That and he should be "Derrick" Johnson instead of "Travis" Johnson. I'll never forgive Charlie Casserly for that. It's just too easy to look at our linebackers and think "We could be starting Derrick Johnson, DeMeco Ryans, and Brian Cushing back there."

Read my mind especially what out LBers would look like.

I'm not so sure TJ gets cut this year but from the looks of it he's going to get pushed pretty hard not only by Kollar but, the guys behind him. I'd like Robinson to get more playing time, when he was in he looked pretty good despite Dick Smith's read and react for the linemen. He seemed disruptive and would push into the backfield.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Only problem i see is that since he's in a contract year...we might take a serious cap hit..the one that Smithiak has worked so hard to restore.

Johnson, Travis signed thru 2011 :

YEAR: BASE SALARY / ALLOCATED BONUS / TOTAL CAP FIGURE

2009: $707,500 / $1,197,220 / $1,904,720

2010: $1,352,500 / $1,190,500 / $2,543,000

................................and worth every penny of it.................

Norg
05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
TBH Travis has been playing decent for us last year and hes like one the only Bad boys we have on the team we cant cut him LOL

DiehardChris
05-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Johnson, Travis signed thru 2011 :

YEAR: BASE SALARY / ALLOCATED BONUS / TOTAL CAP FIGURE

2009: $707,500 / $1,197,220 / $1,904,720

2010: $1,352,500 / $1,190,500 / $2,543,000

................................and worth every penny of it.................

Every site I use for salary info says his contract is up at the end of 2009. What site did you get that from?

DiehardChris
05-21-2009, 12:22 AM
TBH Travis has been playing decent for us last year and hes like one the only Bad boys we have on the team we cant cut him LOL

He's not a bad boy. He's a knucklehead. Big difference. He has no mean streak on the field... unless you count the Trent Green thing, which wasn't exactly very macho (although I think he had every right to be pissed).

Specnatz
05-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Every site I use for salary info says his contract is up at the end of 2009. What site did you get that from?

http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html

Mari-OWNED!
05-21-2009, 05:22 AM
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html

Well that website is wrong, because he is a Free Agent after this season.

Also my guess is that we keep him on the roster this season, and just don't re-sign him for the future. Maybe draft a NT/DT early next year.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Well that website is wrong, because he is a Free Agent after this season.

Also my guess is that we keep him on the roster this season, and just don't re-sign him for the future. Maybe draft a NT/DT early next year.

I found this in the link offered by Specnatz. This is another site citing the extent of his contract through 2011.:

So, Texans that we have an interest in getting rid of may or may not include Ahman Green, Anthony Weaver, Dick Smith, Travis Johnson, and/or Morlon Greenwood. What would that cost us?

Travis Johnson's contract is through 2011, and for the next 3 years his signing bonus against the cap counts $1,190,500.00 per year, or a total hit of $3,571,500.00 against the 2009 cap.

Anthony Weaver's contract is through 2010, and for the next 2 years his signing bonus' value against the cap is $2,700,000,00 or a total hit of $5,400,000.00 against the 2009 cap.

Morlon Greenwood's contract is through 2009, so we would take his final year of cap damage, which is $1,500,000.00.

Ahman Green, after his new contract , is owed $500,000.00 in bonus money for 2009 and 2010, totaling $1,000,000.00 in cap penalties if the team parted ways with him.

So, if we cut all 4 of these players, we are looking at a cap penalty totaling $14,546,500.00.

Lucky
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Unless Travis Johnson (was drafted in 2005) received a double secret contract extension, his rookie contract (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFl&id=3152) will expire at the end of the 2009 season.

Texans signed DT Travis Johnson, the 16th of the NFL Draft, to a five-year, $10.2 million contract.

The deal includes $7.77 million in guarantees. The Florida State product looks like a boom-or-bust pick. If he's as good as his old college teammate Darnell Dockett, the Texans will be pleased.
I don't know if Travis has been a bust or not. More like Just Another Guy. He's never been in shape as a pro (as he was in his breakout Senior year at FSU). The type of one year wonder that is always risky to draft (like Amobi Okoye and this year's one year wonders, Mark Sanchez and Clay Matthews III).

dalemurphy
05-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Unless Travis Johnson (was drafted in 2005) received a double secret contract extension, his rookie contract (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFl&id=3152) will expire at the end of the 2009 season.

I don't know if Travis has been a bust or not. More like Just Another Guy. He's never been in shape as a pro (as he was in his breakout Senior year at FSU). The type of one year wonder that is always risky to draft (like Amobi Okoye and this year's one year wonders, Mark Sanchez and Clay Matthews III).

According to Keith Weiland's salary cap page on inthebullseye.com, Travis Johnson is signed through 2011.

Lucky
05-21-2009, 08:18 PM
According to Keith Weiland's salary cap page on inthebullseye.com, Travis Johnson is signed through 2011.
Keith is usually spot on. But, I think he missed on this one. Johnson signed a 5 year deal in 2005. This will be his 5th year in the league. I don't remember an extension. I think most here would be surprised if he receives one.

Kaiser Toro
05-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Perhaps this is the genesis of the mistake or just perpetuates it

Travis Johnson:

Drafted Round 1; Pick 17 (2005); Age 25

2007 Scouting Report:

"Johnson is quick, active and plays with a good motor. He is competitive and aggressive. He can be disruptive when on the move. He never seemed comfortable in the 3-4, so Houston's scheme change could help. He is more natural attacking gaps. He has good bust and snap anticipation. He has some functional strength and can create a new line of scrimmage when attacking upfield".

"He shows outstanding effort chasing downfield and in pursuit. He can close and make plays from the back side. He moves well laterally and can get over trash to extend outside the tackle box. But Johnson needs to get stronger (especially his lower body) and refine his technique. He struggled to stay square and control his gap responsibility as a two-gap player. He didn't always maintain pad level and would get pushed out of run lanes. He has the initial quickness and hands to be an effective inside pass rusher, but he relies mostly on power. He has few pass-rush countermoves".

Travis Johnson's contract with the Texans: (2005) Signed a 5-year $10.2 million contract; $7.7 million guaranteed; (2007) $435,000; (2008) $707,500; (2009) $1,030,000; (2010) $1,352,500; (2011) $1,675,000; (2012) Free Agent

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/05/jason_babintravis_johnson_time.html

ArlingtonTexan
05-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Derrick Johnson, while better at his position than Travis Johnson, has not been more than average to ok. I am also a big "butterfly effect" guy, so that D. Johnson was around we would have made different decisions on our defense and may not have need a full sized LB like Cushing.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Looks like there was confusion/misinformation even back in 2007 (Chron Blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2007/05/jason_babintravis_johnson_time.html)):

Travis Johnson:

2007 Scouting Report:

"Johnson is quick, active and plays with a good motor. He is competitive and aggressive. He can be disruptive when on the move. He never seemed comfortable in the 3-4, so Houston's scheme change could help. He is more natural attacking gaps. He has good bust and snap anticipation. He has some functional strength and can create a new line of scrimmage when attacking upfield".

"He shows outstanding effort chasing downfield and in pursuit. He can close and make plays from the back side. He moves well laterally and can get over trash to extend outside the tackle box. But Johnson needs to get stronger (especially his lower body) and refine his technique. He struggled to stay square and control his gap responsibility as a two-gap player. He didn't always maintain pad level and would get pushed out of run lanes. He has the initial quickness and hands to be an effective inside pass rusher, but he relies mostly on power. He has few pass-rush countermoves".

Travis Johnson's contract with the Texans: (2005) Signed a 5-year $10.2 million contract; $7.7 million guaranteed;

(2007) $435,000; (2008) $707,500; (2009) $1,030,000; (2010) $1,352,500; (2011) $1,675,000; (2012) Free Agent

2005 - 15 games, 23 tackles, 3 assists, 1 sack
2006 - 9 games, 8 tackles, 3 assists, 0 sacks

Hervoyel.......sorry I lagged in posting this while on a phone call..

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Lucky, What's also very strange is that when I went to the Rotoword player search site.........no listing for Travis Johnson.

Lucky
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Lucky, What's also very strange is that when I went to the Rotoword player search site.........no listing for Travis Johnson.
You know what's really odd? I searched Andre Johnson, and received "No Results". Ditto, for Steve Slaton. Not even Mario Williams.

Where's a "Houston Texans get no respect" thread when you need one?

DiehardChris
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM

You know what's really odd? I searched Andre Johnson, and received "No Results". Ditto, for Steve Slaton. Not even Mario Williams.

Where's a "Houston Texans get no respect" thread when you need one?

It's because you can only enter a last name on Rotoworld. If you enter a first name and a last name, you'll get no results. It's one of the bigger complaints I have about that site.

Rotoworld is the site I use most for salary info, and it has TJ's correct contract info (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3152).

Grams
05-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Maybe my math is wrong but if he signed in 2005 a 5 year deal - how can it go to 2012?

That looks like 5 years to me - at least way, way, way back when I was in school.
What am I missing?

DiehardChris
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Maybe my math is wrong but if he signed in 2005 a 5 year deal - how can it go to 2012?

That looks like 5 years to me - at least way, way, way back when I was in school.
What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. Just some sites have the wrong info. It's been out there a long time that TJ's contract is up at the end of 09. There have been articles about it, coaches have mentioned, etc.

dalemurphy
05-22-2009, 01:31 AM
You're not missing anything. Just some sites have the wrong info. It's been out there a long time that TJ's contract is up at the end of 09. There have been articles about it, coaches have mentioned, etc.

Wow! that changes how I'm looking at the DL competition this off-season. Using Keith's numbers, it wasn't going to be very detrimental to the salary cap to cut TJ... But, if he's really a FA in 2009, cutting him would actually save a couple bucks. While I think he'll end up making the team, his roster spot is certainly up for the taking now. Possibly, the following could happen:

Mario
Barwin
ASmith
Bulman
Okoye
Cody
DRobinson
Okam
McClover, Nading, or a DE to be named...

Since both Bulman and ASmith can play inside and out, I'm guessing that one of Okam, Robinson, TJ, Cody won't make the roster. Perhaps we even keep 7 LBs and Chaun Thompson adds depth at DE as well as LB?

DiehardChris
05-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Wow! that changes how I'm looking at the DL competition this off-season. Using Keith's numbers, it wasn't going to be very detrimental to the salary cap to cut TJ... But, if he's really a FA in 2009, cutting him would actually save a couple bucks. While I think he'll end up making the team, his roster spot is certainly up for the taking now. Possibly, the following could happen:

Mario
Barwin
ASmith
Bulman
Okoye
Cody
DRobinson
Okam
McClover, Nading, or a DE to be named...

Since both Bulman and ASmith can play inside and out, I'm guessing that one of Okam, Robinson, TJ, Cody won't make the roster. Perhaps we even keep 7 LBs and Chaun Thompson adds depth at DE as well as LB?

I really thought he was a lock to make the team at least at depth - but hearing that he has THREE separate injuries to his lower body - I'm almost convinced he's for sure gone. Pelvis, knee, hamstring - I mean, COME ON.

Plus, that quote from Kubes about TJ having a "long, long way to go as a player." Going into his fifth year, he should be in/approaching his prime.

I think he's a goner.

texansdrummer
05-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I honestly believe that this is a good sign. A couple of years ago, Kubiak likely couldn't have called things out like this. Now things are different. Different is good. When our coach can call out guys that have been starters in the past, that means we are getting better. Let him have it, Kubiak!

Grams
05-22-2009, 06:49 AM

Travis Johnson's contract with the Texans: (2005) Signed a 5-year $10.2 million contract; $7.7 million guaranteed; (2007) $435,000; (2008) $707,500; (2009) $1,030,000; (2010) $1,352,500; (2011) $1,675,000; (2012) Free Agent

2005 - 15 games, 23 tackles, 3 assists, 1 sack
2006 - 9 games, 8 tackles, 3 assists, 0 sacks

Here is the problem - if I knew how to bold or change font colors it could be pretty.

But they start with the signing in 2005 - then skip to 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Instead of 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
It's the "New Math".........same reason why our kids are coming out of HS mathematically challenged.:mcnugget:

Grams
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I know - it is very sad.

Cashiers cannot give you change unless the register tell them how much to give you.

Kaiser Toro
05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
It's the "New Math".........same reason why our kids are coming out of HS mathematically challenged.:mcnugget:

Fuzzy math was prevalent during the Dark Ages

KeithW
05-24-2009, 12:32 AM
hello tt.com...

dale alerted me to this conversation in a thread on ItB.com. Here is what I posted (http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11615&postcount=67), which should hopefully shed some light on how Travis' # of contract years might have been misunderstood at ItB.com and elsewhere. If anyone has solid info they can pass along to me, my email box is always open - keith at inthebullseye dot com.

Thanks

Wolf
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
hello tt.com...

dale alerted me to this conversation in a thread on ItB.com. Here is what I posted (http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11615&postcount=67), which should hopefully shed some light on how Travis' # of contract years might have been misunderstood at ItB.com and elsewhere. If anyone has solid info they can pass along to me, my email box is always open - keith at inthebullseye dot com.

Thanks

welcome keith

bckey
05-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Ditto. Welcome Keith.

OzzO
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Megan (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6470160.html)has a turn...

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson didn’t want to talk much Wednesday. At least, not about himself.

He passed on discussing if he is worried about making the team. He passed on responding to recent comments by coach Gary Kubiak, who voiced his disappointment in Johnson’s inability to stay on the field....

....The former first-round pick is slated to make $1.03 million in the final year of his contract. He’s also trying to stave off guys like DelJuan Robinson, Frank Okam and Shaun Cody for the starting job he has held the past two seasons.

“He’s really got to step up his game,” Kubiak said. “He’s got young players behind him that have done that and done it throughout the whole offseason and the OTAs. Who ends up playing that position for us, I don’t know. I think it’s wide open right now.

“There’s a pretty good battle going on.”

Johnson started 14 games for the Texans last season, recording 28 tackles and playing mostly on rushing downs. His best season was in 2007 when he had a career-high 41 tackles.....

Mr teX
06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Texans fans rejoice...Kubes is finally seeing the bum behind the dreads...

sometexansfan
06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I hope they cut him, I really do.

lilmon52
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
why is tj still in houston? he's a bust when are the texans gonna figure that out and release him?

kiwitexansfan
06-11-2009, 06:43 PM
why is tj still in houston? he's a bust when are the texans gonna figure that out and release him?

lilmon52
noob

You know its bad when people come out of lurking to put the boot in.......

Thorn
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
You know its bad when people come out of lurking to put the boot in.......

:spit:

CloakNNNdagger
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of TJ. But it's surprising that in a precontract year TJ would not be trying to kill himself to "get ahead." Makes you wonder if after maybe finally trying to "get it," he is legitimately being held back by some injury or underlying disease. The reason I even mention this is because I don't remember Kubes or Megan ever referring to injuries in terms of "health problems" or "health concerns."

Wolf
06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
I think we have nothing to lose right now. Lets see what kollar can do with him and if he can't stay healthy or is not showing promise, well show him out the door