PDA

View Full Version : Chron: Eyes on Cushing...

barrett
05-20-2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6432260.html

“We want him to become comfortable in our system where it’s not a lot of thinking for him. He can just react and use his physical ability and make plays for us.”

I think it's safe to say that's what they want from everyone else defensively this year as well.

Cushing is already proving to be a very coachable player who picks up things quickly. He is trying not only to learn the strongside linebacker position but to memorize where everyone else on defense is on any given play.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
He is trying not only to learn the strongside linebacker position but to memorize where everyone else on defense is on any given play.

Although the MLB is in classic position, sounds like there will be 2 players mind-capable of "quarterbacking" the D.

TimeKiller
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Although the MLB is in classic position, sounds like there will be 2 players mind-capable of "quarterbacking" the D.

Not so much how I views it. Maybe this year the players hold themselves accountable, only way to do that is know who f'd up. One of Cushing's biggest pros was his work ethic and here it is showing up almost 5 months BEFORE the season.

Hopefully that attitude rubs off.

El Tejano
05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm liking what I'm hearing about and from this kid already.

Wolf
05-26-2009, 12:47 AM
When the Houston Texans unveiled their No. 1 draft pick on the first day of organized team activities, eyes were definitely on the top prize.

"He's pretty ready to go," Texans head coach Gary Kubiak relayed to team insiders after getting a first-hand look at his first round pick. "We’re just excited about him. Getting him out here and getting him to work, and having him here in the city of Houston is exciting for everybody, including this guy."

This guy is University of Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing, whom the Texans selected with the No. 15 pick in last month's NFL draft. Cushing became Houston's fifth defensive first round pick in the organization's eight-year history. The Texans have chosen a defensive player with their first pick in five of the last six years.

Here's why:

Since 2003, the team's second year in the league, Houston has finished no higher than 22nd in the NFL in total defense. In two of those seasons, the Texans' defense ranked 31st in the 32-team league.

After selecting quarterback David Carr with the first pick in franchise history in 2002, Houston ranked 16th in total defense.

That begs the question: What kind of an impact will Cushing have as defense once again remains a focal point?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/183601-linebacker-offers-cush-y-feel-to-texans-defense

DiehardChris
05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
This guy is University of Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing, whom the Texans selected with the No. 15 pick in last month's NFL draft.

Actually, in the context of this particular quote - "this guy" was in reference to Kubiak himself. Anyway.