PDA

View Full Version : Information from OTAs

gtexan02
05-18-2009, 04:06 PM
I was reading up on the Texans chat on the official site, and picked up a few tidbits about our OTAs. Post any more information you can find here if you'd like:

The Texans just walked off the field after their first practice during organized team activities (OTAs). These non-mandatory workouts run on May 18-21, May 26-28, June 1-4 and June 9-11 and they give coaches a chance to evaluate the team, especially the rookies and new free agents, before training camp. I wrote about the five big questions that the Texans have going into OTAs. After Day 1, you already could see that two of the biggest storyline will be: Who will start at weakside LB and who will be the backup to RB Steve Slaton. Without further ado, let's dive into it.

On linebacker competition:
The competition at LB started the moment the Texans drafted Brian Cushing No. 15 overall. D-coordinator Frank Bush wants Cushing starting at the strongside. There's going to be a lot expected of him right away. Last year, Zac Diles moved from backup MIKE to SAM. Now, he is working out on the weakside and competing against Xavier Adibi, who won a starting spot there last season. Bush told me he felt like Diles was the most consistent player on defense until he was injured last November. I think Diles will find his way on the field. Cato June has played both the SAM and WILL positions and will provide depth. Also, look for Kevin Bentley to back up DeMeco Ryans at middle linebacker.

On Dunta
Dunta didn't come to OTAs, which are not mandatory workouts. But coach Gary Kubiak said that Dunta assured him that he will be at the first mandatory workout, which are mini-camps in the middle of June

On the Rookies
A lot of these rookies look that part of pros right away. Brian Cushing was the biggest linebacker on the field by far. The Texans aren't tackling right now, but Cushing looked like he wanted to lay some people out. He's going to have to work on his technique and learn the defensive schemes, but the learning curve should be steep for him. Third-round draft pick Antoine Caldwell was holding his own at center. He can play both guard or center, but assistant head coach Alex Gibbs worked him hard at center. Caldwell is sharp and he should pick up the zone scheme quickly. Tight end Anthony Hill has long arms and looks like he could develop into a good blocker. James Casey layed out to make a catch that was impressive. Defensive end Connor Barwin wasn't there because he is in school until June13.

On Dan O

QB Dan Orlovsky was taking reps behing Matt Schaub in OTAs today, and I think he's very impressive. Orlovsky is taller than Schaub and he gets great zip on the ball.

On who was there

As for no-shows, CB Dunta Robinson wasn't there because of his contract holdout and DE Connor Barwin, the second-round draft pick, is still in school. Everyone else, including DeMeco Ryans, was there.

On the Running backs
I was impressed with Arian Foster's size. He looks like someone who could excel in the Texans' one-cut scheme. I think the coaches are excited to see what they have in him. Moats also is very quick and has a great work ethic- he's the perfect backup guy. However, GM Rick Smith told me they will continue to look at who is available and see if they can upgrade their talent. So there could be some additions to this group.

more here: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

I bolded the parts I found interesting. Especially that she said Diles was the most consistent player on the entire defense. That speaks volumes about that guy.

barrett
05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
i thought it was noteworthy to point out that Travis Johnson is not expected to be in the starting rotation. Bentley mentions that he's out with an injury but she made it seem as though even if he was healthy he's not in the starting rotation. It was more noteworthy that it seemed as a surprise to her. It's the first day of OTA's but hey, we're starving here. Glad Dan 'O is looking big and strong. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Also, noted that Ferguson is still starting at SS not Barber.

badboy
05-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks. From all the positive comments recently, I think linebacker should be a strong point this year. I'm interest in how Chaun Thompson does.

I hope Foster and Moats really step up.

barrett
05-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Thompson will be hard pressed to get on the field. He's lights out on special teams though. But it may be a casualty due to too much depth. Bentley can play all three positions, so can Diles, DeMeco, Cushing and Adibi aren't going anywhere due to contracts and age. Chaun may miss the boat, or maybe June.

Goldensilence
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I like that we're already seeing Caldwell getting reps, and concentrating at center. I suspect if Caldwell continues to impress Myers might be in a camp battle for the starting spot. Either way looks like we've got some depth possibly at guard or center. I loved the Caldwell pick once they called his name.

Got killer depth at LB and looking forward to camp battle for the WLB spot. If Adibi can stay healthy I like his chances and his speed. I'd really love to see 3 LBers on the the roster for once who can run sideline to sideline.

If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.

BattleRedToro
05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.

I'd say the chances are very high, because if my memory serves me correctly, we used a 2 TE set a few times last year.

mexican_texan
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.

thunderkyss
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.

Why would you even say anything like that? Pretty women can't like football?

I actually used to think the same way, but Suzy Kolberg(sp) changed my mind. It's possible that a good looking woman can be "involved" with the sport.

CloakNNNdagger
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd say the chances are very high, because if my memory serves me correctly, we used a 2 TE set a few times last year.

With the type of TEs we've brought in, i.e., TEs that can block, catch, play FB/H-back, and even throw, it wouldn't surprise me to occasionally see 3 of those placed amongst Schaub, Leach and Slaton(or his compliment)...............without telegraphing "pass" or "run." Talk about wreaking strategic havoc.:texflag:

BSofA04
05-18-2009, 08:40 PM

I was liking her in those workout shorts in the video with Dan O! :drool: Giggidy.

I think she has some good knowledge and is willing to listen to the fans questions.

gtexan02
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Any reason to say this other than to be sexist?

mexican_texan
05-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I hear her on the podcasts and on all those videos on the main site and never really heard much of an opinion from her or an analysis of some sort. Mostly fluff pieces.

kozanack
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I hear her on the podcasts and on all those videos on the main site and never really heard much of an opinion from her or an analysis of some sort. Mostly fluff pieces.

Reporters state the facts. Columnists and commentators provide opinions. I doubt that the Texans would ever have a columnist or commentator on staff because they would come across as a propagandist.

Dapper
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Someone please tell me Chris Brown was on the field today. Dude owes us whatever he has left. I'm hoping he can contribute this year. I like his size.

mexican_texan
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't find anything else on OTA's. I've been waiting for this day for weeks, there has to be more somewhere.

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
I'll tell you that she probably knows more about football and the Texans than most of the people on this message board.

I've been impressed with her interviews of players. If she doesn't KNOW the material she's presenting... she has an uncanny ability to memorize facts, figures, ideas, etc. and convey them in a convincing manner. I'd rather read the transcripts of what she says during interviews than read what 90% of the people on these boards have to offer concerning the Texans.

FACT. :)

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I talked to GM Rick Smith about Amobi Okoye before OTAs. Smith told he that Amobi has to step up for the defense to execute and that Amobi knows this. Today, new defensive line coach Bill Kollar was all over his unit and he had Amobi running at a high gear. I think Kollar will be riding Amobi hard and it will be interesting to see the results.
But she does need to be careful about keeping that site G rated, we don't want any rumors being spread around the NFL about our players/coaches! :splits:

Honoring Earl 34
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
But she does need to be careful about keeping that site G rated, we don't want any rumors being spread around the NFL about our players/coaches! :splits:

Sounds more like the Titans QB and centers .

mexican_texan
05-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll tell you that she probably knows more about football and the Texans than most of the people on this message board.

I've been impressed with her interviews of players. If she doesn't KNOW the material she's presenting... she has an uncanny ability to memorize facts, figures, ideas, etc. and convey them in a convincing manner. I'd rather read the transcripts of what she says during interviews than read what 90% of the people on these boards have to offer concerning the Texans.

FACT. :)
Interviews aren't spontaneous at all. For a simple piece for the school paper, I had to read the press release over and over and do a lot of research. For someone getting paid to do interviews, she either does a lot of research or has someone write up questions depending on how strict the editor is.

ObsiWan
05-18-2009, 11:53 PM

They hired the coaching staff to break down the cover 2 defense.

They hired Bentley and Brandimere to pass along team-related information to the fans.

Interviews aren't spontaneous at all. For a simple piece for the school paper, I had to read the press release over and over and do a lot of research. For someone getting paid to do interviews, she either does a lot of research or has someone write up questions depending on how strict the editor is.
I imagine its some of both.

ObsiWan
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Saw this at the end of the OTA report....
New blood: On Monday, the Texans signed strong safety John Busing, who spent four years with the Cincinnati Bengals, and guard Adrian Joneshttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5291#), a sixth-year pro.

anyone know anything about these latest acquisitions?
Camp fodder?

mexican_texan
05-19-2009, 01:55 AM
I saw a few guys in the video I don't remember being announced as signings. Are those two the only signings?

Texsker
05-19-2009, 03:39 AM

That's not really fair. In watching her interviews with players and reading her chats and articles, it's clear that she has a relatively advanced understanding of the game. If she weren't female, I doubt anyone would be raising these issues.

False Start
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Love this pic:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/600xPopupGallery-1.jpg

Cushing:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/600xPopupGallery-2.jpg

Then there is this dork, the sign isn't really going to help his cause:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/600xPopupGallery-3.jpg

Maddict5
05-19-2009, 05:16 PM
im excited to hear about jacoby growing up. heres hoping it transfers onto the field

Polo
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Antonio Smith is injured?

HOU-TEX
05-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Antonio Smith is injured?

Meh, just a hammy

mexican_texan
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
That's not really fair. In watching her interviews with players and reading her chats and articles, it's clear that she has a relatively advanced understanding of the game. If she weren't female, I doubt anyone would be raising these issues.
You can't pull the sexist card around here with Texans_Chick around.

TexansSeminole
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Yea, I don't buy that.

To be honest, she isn't very good at the reports or the analysis IMO. She makes all of the videos awkward from the outset with her "Hi Texans Fanssss" bit in the beginning of every video. Her analysis is pretty "well duh" IMO.

I mean I like her because she is a Texans fan, but other than that I don't really see how she got that job.

dalemurphy
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Yea, I don't buy that.

To be honest, she isn't very good at the reports or the analysis IMO. She makes all of the videos awkward from the outset with her "Hi Texans Fanssss" bit in the beginning of every video. Her analysis is pretty "well duh" IMO.

I mean I like her because she is a Texans fan, but other than that I don't really see how she got that job.

I think there is some truth to women having generally less understanding of football than some men. It actually has nothing to do with sexism. I just think that people that played organized football have the potential to understand it better. And, not many girls play organized football- certainly not into high school (Helen Hunt not withstanding).

TexansSeminole
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I think there is some truth to women having generally less understanding of football than some men. It actually has nothing to do with sexism. I just think that people that played organized football have the potential to understand it better. And, not many girls play organized football- certainly not into high school (Helen Hunt not withstanding).

I don't think she doesn't understand it, she just doesn't bring anything new. It's repetition. I've never learned anything from a report of hers.

I dunno, not saying she is terrible at what she does, but she surely isn't good at it IMO.

Goldensilence
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think she doesn't understand it, she just doesn't bring anything new. It's repetition. I've never learned anything from a report of hers.

I dunno, not saying she is terrible at what she does, but she surely isn't good at it IMO.

I think that's probably the best description of Megan and probably symtomatic of most of the media coverage of the Texans locally. You have a few bright spots but for the most part they don't bring anything you don't know or couldn't have guessed by yourself.

TheRealJoker
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I think that's probably the best description of Megan and probably symtomatic of most of the media coverage of the Texans locally. You have a few bright spots but for the most part they don't bring anything you don't know or couldn't have guessed by yourself.

That's because this message board is too damn smart :)

Texsker
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM

What I'm saying is that she displays what I would consider to be an intermediate understanding of football. She's not a true analyst, but is a reporter with enough knowledge of the game to be competent in her reporting.

I'm not touting her as an example of greatness, but it's clear by the Texans' choice to hire her that they weren't targeting a high-level analyst who could really break down Xs & Os or get highly technical. She's just a reporter who happens to have sufficient knowledge of the game to do her job reasonably well. That's all.

CloakNNNdagger
05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Rings of things I would not want to be hearing at this point from what Kubes is saying:

-TJ being "out" with "issues." He needs to be out there with or without "issues" or he may just very well find himself off the team by the beginning of the season..............with more "issues."

-Antonio Smith with a hamstring.......potential high risk recurrent, chronic condition.

-Okoye with a quad with knee pains........one of the more rehab friendly injuries if isolated (and not a primary knee joint problem), but another loss of time in a "new system."

Lots of time to heal before TC, but why all these "issues" following a long rest period........certainly not from yesterday's OTA.

They all need this valuable time with their new coaches.

The Pencil Neck
05-19-2009, 07:03 PM

I could easily see us carrying 4 TE's this year and using 2-3 TE sets. Kubiak has always used 2 TE sets. And he likes 3 TE sets, too, but couldn't do that much (if at all) last year because Bruener was out almost all year.

Big Poundcake
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I hope Travis Johnson gets healthy quick and is able to participate.

Cushing looks jacked. I hope he is learning and picking up pointers from Ryans.

ObsiWan
05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I hope Travis Johnson gets healthy quick and is able to participate.

Cushing looks jacked. I hope he is learning and picking up pointers from Ryans.

Absolutely (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5290)...
(on LB Demeco Ryans saying he would help him and if he will try to lean on Ryans) “Oh, of course. He’s been generous enough to do that. It’s been a privilege already to play next to him. All-Pro linebacker, just an unbelievable talent, so I’m going to try to get everything I can from him. He was in the same situation and he’s just been doing a great job since day one.”

(on if it will help that Ryans was in the same situation of having to start right away) “Absolutely. He came in, he was a highly touted linebacker, and he’s just lived up to the expectations and more since being in this organization.”

(on if he talked to any of the other veterans today) “Oh, all of them. Especially the linebackers, just helping me out with every little thing, wanting me to get better. You could tell it’s a tight unit and everyone wants the best for each other.”

Lucky
05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/600xPopupGallery-3.jpg
Who is this???

ObsiWan
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I found this KubeKuote somewhat interesting...

(on CB Fred Bennett’s role on the team) “Fred’s a starter right now. This league is about opportunity, and through Dunta’s situation, Fred’s a starting corner on this team right now. We’ll see how he does with it. He’s really taken to (defensive backs coach) David’s (Gibbs) attention and he’s worked very, very hard. So he’s had two good days to start off with here, so we’ll see.”

Does this mean that Fred is #2 until Robinson comes back (when he drops to #3) or does that mean he and Reeves are battling for the #2 spot?

RipTraxx
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Who is this???

Insulting the team....GREAT way to get a tryout.

ObsiWan
05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Who is this???

The Chron.com caption sez....
Houstonian Charles Sapp, 29, holds a sign lobbying for a tryout Monday outside the Texans training facility.

Between that sign and that last name, I'll bet there's a joke in there someplace

JCTexan
05-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Does this mean that Fred is #2 until Robinson comes back (when he drops to #3) or does that mean he and Reeves are battling for the #2 spot?

I was thinking it meant Dunta was #3 right now. :thinking:

ObsiWan
05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
I was thinking it meant Dunta was #3 right now. :thinking:

actually, that was my first thought until I considered the franchise tag and the committed money that goes with it.

I figure you don't franchise a guy to the tune of nearly $10Mil/yr and then sit him.

Runner
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Dunta isn't on the team right now.

ObsiWan
05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Dunta isn't on the team right now.

that's riiiight...
Good point.
the franchise "offer" is just an offer until he decides to sign...

So, whaddaya think, is Fred Bennett the #2 or #1 CB on the team right now?
and is Kubes sending a not-so-subtle msg to D-Rob?

CloakNNNdagger
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
actually, that was my first thought until I considered the franchise tag and the committed money that goes with it.

I figure you don't franchise a guy to the tune of nearly $10Mil/yr and then sit him.

You do, if you are given no choice and he doesn't show for the first few games.

barrett
05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
I think thats Kubiak talk for Dunta isn't at this practice, he's not under contract etc. so, "officially" everybody bumps up one spot and that makes Reeves 1 and Bennett 2. I don't think he was calling out Dunta as was suggested in a recent BRB post and I don't think it means anything but extra reps for Bennett at this extremely early stage. I do think he was calling out Travis Johnson however. Most of what he said I felt was fairly watered down nothing.

AnthonyE
05-20-2009, 03:20 AM

This is very interesting to me. I hope Fred battles it out for number 2 when Dunta comes back.

Goldensilence
05-20-2009, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=AnthonyE;1185534]This is very interesting to me. I hope Fred battles it out for number 2 when Dunta comes back.[/QUOTE

I can't help but wonder about the #2 slot at Cb this year. If Reeves, who will be with the team, through OTAs and TC unquestionably, works his way into the #1 slot. I think it's very possible given what I have heard about his dedication to getting better this offseason and new DB coach Gibbs. I can't help but wonder that Bennett will have the same situation to get better. Depending on the status of Dunta I can't help but wonder if he might be battling for the #2 slot as opposed to #1.

I guess I am wondering out loud what happens if our franchise tagged Cb is getting outplayed by two other guys?

beerlover
05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
whats wrong with you guys Brooke is sweet.....

the rest is all fluff, it's OTA's don't read too much into the comings & goings of players. Travis is & always been an enigma. It's gotten old & the Texans should cut him loose after June 1st so he can catch on with another team thus minimizing cap damage (F/A next year anyway) no future here for a player who has a long way to go after four years after being selected 1st rd. (another regime).

Polo
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

I think it just means "We'll see".

HoustonFrog
05-20-2009, 09:31 AM
On 1560 yesterday Sean and John said that this team is 100 times faster, more athletic and basically more talented than the team 2 years ago. They said Cushing has alot of burst from 0 to impact and that the LBs with he and DeMeco should be great. Harris was commenting on alot of it.

Silver Oak
05-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Would you a##holes quit derailing the thread talking about Brook Bentley? NOBODY CARES.

This is about OTA information.

rep given for having an avatar with the best as I've seen in awhile.

Kaiser Toro
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
rep given for having an avatar with the best as I've seen in awhile.

It is also known as Kubiak's hot seat. :lion:

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
If you happen to watch the video from HT.com, it's quite apparent that Kubiak's pissed at TJ. He did the same crap last year with something supposedly wrong with his crotch. Do we even know what it is this year? I mean, wtf does "issues" mean?

Look, I actually think TJ is better than most give him credit for around here, but he seems like he's a sloth when it comes to practice. That's not a good thing.

Number19
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
This may, or may not, have anything to do with the current situation with TJ, and I'm too lazy to goggle for the details, but TJ has a medical condition which requires constant medication to keep under control. This has been known since his draft year. As long as he takes his medication, this problem supposedly should not effect his football. If I remember correctly, at one point in his collegiate career, he did get off his regimen of medication and his playing did suffer. Like I said, this may not have anything to do with his current problem, it's just a bit of input I haven't seen mentioned in a number of years.

BigBull17
05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Thompson will be hard pressed to get on the field. He's lights out on special teams though. But it may be a casualty due to too much depth. Bentley can play all three positions, so can Diles, DeMeco, Cushing and Adibi aren't going anywhere due to contracts and age. Chaun may miss the boat, or maybe June.

Yeah, but he's a lights out special teamer who can play SAM LB and rush from DE. He is very versatile and I think could latch on. June maybe, but he such a good nickle type LB'er I don't know. We have hard cuts to make this year.

Polo
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Look, I actually think TJ is better than most give him credit for around here, but he seems like he's a sloth when it comes to practice. That's not a good thing.

Yep...

I like TJ and I think that he will play much better this year...But none of that matters if you are not practicing and getting acclimated with the new system...

Polo
05-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think that June will make the team unless he has a lights out summer/early fall.

I haven't heard anything about him being a great special teams player so that means he'd have to be playing a lot in regular defensive sets in order to have value for us.

Adibi and June are kind of the same player, except I think Adibi is better against the run.

If June is playing a lot, that means Adibi will not be. You will be hard pressed finding a situation for both of those guys to be on the field together.

If Adibi gets the start at WLB, maybe June sticks around as his back-up. But if Diles wins that spot, I think Adibi is his back-up leaving June without a niche.

Basically, I don't think June will be on our opening day 53 unless he's lights out. I don't think being "solid" or "ok" will cut it ofr him because of his lack of functionality...He doesn't have a lot of dimensions to his game...JMO.

gtexan02
05-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Info I found useful/interesting:

(on RB Chris Brown) “He’s been fine. He hasn’t had any health issues throughout the offseason. We tried to monitor some of the things he’s doing in the offseason. He won’t let us. He says, ‘No, I’m all in. I feel like I’ll be able to do it all.’ He’s held up well. We’ll see how he does.”

(on what he’s looking for from WR Jacoby Jones this offseason) “I tell you what, knock on wood, he’s been excellent in the offseason. He’s grown up. He’s handled himself a lot better than he has in the past. He’s becoming a pro to me, so with that should come better play and more consistency. We’ll keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully, he continues to do it every day, but he’s been a very pleasant surprise throughout the offseason.”

(on QB Dan Orlovsky in a new system) “I think he’s fine. Terminology-wise, that’s not a big change for him. I think coaching-wise, probably some of the things we’re telling him compared to what he’s done in the past is probably different, but he’s a big, talented young man. He’s just like (QB) Matt (Schaub) from a size standpoint and how he plays the game, so when you’re coaching him, it’s not like two different guys. He can get so much better. You know, it’s fun to coach a guy like that, that you see all this talent (and) that you know can get so much better as a player. And he’s got some big steps to take, but I’m excited about his direction.”

(on DE Antonio Smith’s injury) “He’s had a hamstring issue for about the last two weeks, and instead of pushing him through this—we thought he might do something yesterday, but watching him work, to me it didn’t look like he was doing a lot.”

(on G Chester Pitts) “Chester had his elbows cleaned out. He had one elbow one week and the other elbow the following week, so he’s pre-cautioned. He probably will not work much at all in the OTAs – if any, there at the end. (DT) Travis (Johnson) was doing fine throughout the offseason. Last week, he started on a few different things, so he’s got to catch up physically before we let him on the field.

(on DT Amobi Okoye) “He’s been fine. He was good yesterday. He has a quad problem, actually, that has given his knee some soreness, and we feel like we’re on top of that. He’s had a good offseason, so unless he’s telling you something he doesn’t tell me, I think he’s OK.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5292

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 11:30 AM
In regards to our LB crew, presently I see 10 guys on the roster. I think we normally suit up 6, right? Here's how I see it ending up.

X. Adibi - WILL
K. Bentley - Backup (can play all 3, but mainly SAM)
K. Coley - Still like this guy
B. Cushing - SAM
B. Davis - Hasn't proven much in the NFL
Z. Diles - Backup (can play all 3)
C. June - Backup (can play all 3)
D. Ryans - MIKE
C. Thompson - Hurt most of last season
T. Verdell - Ummkay

Red = Cut
Blue = PS

TimeKiller
05-20-2009, 11:31 AM
That's about the 3rd or 4th gushing by Kubiak on Orlovsky.

Makes me wonder if he's trying to say, HEY LOOK he's a decent player or, HEY MATT LOOK he's a decent player?

DiehardChris
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll post it here - Rotoworld is trying to scare the hell out of Texans fans - they posted a story about Mario having an injured hamstring, when in reality - in the SAME story they link to - it was Antonio Smith's injury that Kubes was talking about. They didn't read the story carefully, and the result was a false report that Mario Williams has been dealing with a hamstring problem.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3636

El Tejano
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll post it here - Rotoworld is trying to scare the hell out of Texans fans - they posted a story about Mario having an injured hamstring, when in reality - in the SAME story they link to - it was Antonio Smith's injury that Kubes was talking about. They didn't read the story carefully, and the result was a false report that Mario Williams has been dealing with a hamstring problem.

Those lousy punks...why I oughtta....:wild:

Runner
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Makes me wonder if he's trying to say, HEY LOOK he's a decent player or, HEY MATT LOOK he's a decent player?

Has he called him 1b to Matt's 1a as he did Sage?

I think Kubiak likes to pump up his backup QB and therefore wouldn't read much into this.

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Has he called him 1b to Matt's 1a as he did Sage?

I think Kubiak likes to pump up his backup QB and therefore wouldn't read much into this.

Maybe because Kubes used to be one?

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/img/photos/2007/12/11/435823320_t220.jpg

Goldensilence
05-20-2009, 02:01 PM

I think it's an open invitation to form a Dan O for president club.

gtexan02
05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
This is jmo, but I think I see Kubiak starting the same trend that Denver used while he was there.

Denver was known for making RB's look better than they were, and trading them for draft picks or defensive studs.

I think Kubiak will try to do the same thing with QB's. That seems to be his strong suit. I think picking up undervalued backups, letting them put up good numbers, and then baiting 2nd 3rd 4th rounders out of them could be a good method to building a real real solid D.

In that case, Schaub is our perfect #1 guy. He gets injured often enough to let the backup QBs shine

HOU-TEX
05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

I read that too and knew it was a screw up. They also mentioned Barwin will be taking more reps due to the injury. LOL, talking about screwing the pooch

badboy
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Schaub is not worried. If we can get a 2nd round pick for O we almost paid off the two seconds we gave for Matt. In about 2-3 years Minnesota should be ready for another trade.

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I read that too and knew it was a screw up. They also mentioned Barwin will be taking more reps due to the injury. LOL, talking about screwing the pooch

Barwin = not graduated = not at OTA's.

Or am I wrong there.....

DiehardChris
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Barwin = not graduated = not at OTA's.

Or am I wrong there.....

Yeah, that was HOU-TEX's point. They not only botched the Mario thing, they botched it by saying Barwin would get increased reps.

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that was HOU-TEX's point. They not only botched the Mario thing, they botched it by saying Barwin would get increased reps.

I thought that was the case.

Another outstanding example of internet journalism gone awry.

In other news, Houston Texans QB Vince Young looks to have recovered from his aggravated hamstring and has looked great in OTA's but is leaving few reps for backup QB Jeff George.

Wow, making up stuff is easy. Maybe I can be an internet journalist, too.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Schaub is not worried. If we can get a 2nd round pick for O we almost paid off the two seconds we gave for Matt. In about 2-3 years Minnesota should be ready for another trade.

That's taking for granted that Schaub maintains a standing position all season. If Schaub ends up with a cheerleader uniform, we better have a descent 2nd option that can develop into a #1, because you are unlikely to sell anyone on the idea that "Schaub is really durable........................just wait, you'll see...........next year.":cool:

badboy
05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
That's taking for granted that Schaub maintains a standing position all season. If Schaub ends up with a cheerleader uniform, we better have a descent 2nd option that can develop into a #1, because you are unlikely to sell anyone on the idea that "Schaub is really durable........................just wait, you'll see...........next year.":cool:You have evidently forgotten about Alex Brink our star in waiting.

gtexan02
05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Good stuff for today:

Glover Quinn Impresses:
Glover catches on: Fourth-round draft pick Glover Quin showed playmaking potential when he picked off a pass in practice for the second consecutive day. Quin has been getting a fair amount of reps as a backup with Dunta Robinson and Antwaun Molden unavailable to play.
"He’s a big, thick, good-looking kid. He moves around well. From the tape, we know he’s not afraid to hit. So we’re encouraged by him.”

Could play Safety:
(on if Quin could play safety) “There’s a possibility. We have plans for him on the edge right now. He’s going to do some stuff in the slot and nickel, but there’s always a possibility at safety. He’s built that way, anyway.”

From Glover Quinn(on safeties being required to hit) “Oh, I’ll hit. That’s one thing I will do.”

Travis has a hurt pelvis
“You know, he was having a good offseason,” Kubiak said. “Like I said yesterday, everything was going fine, and it got time to go back to work and he’s got some issues bothering him: a hamstring, I think his pelvic region, his knee was sore. So we’ll do everything we can to get Travis healthy before we get him out here.”

Slaton bulked up
To help him carry the load, Slaton has gained about nine pounds of muscle.

"You know, I had a little problem with third-and-short, and that’ll hopefully help me move a little bit more pile," Slaton said.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5296

RipTraxx
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Good stuff for today:

Glover Quinn Impresses:

Could play Safety:

Travis has a hurt pelvis

Slaton bulked up

Is molden still hurting from his ankle injury?

Yankee_In_TX
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Unlike other people who happened to get hired coincidentally after being paid to go to bars in lingerie (and apparently have some kind of journalism background), Brooke has a solid background in both sports and journalism going back to at least her college days.

She may not be able to draw up a scheme, but I can't, either.

drewmar74
05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
unlike other people who happened to get hired coincidentally after being paid to go to bars in lingerie, brooke has a solid background in both sports and journalism going back to at least her college days.

She may not be able to draw up a scheme, but i can't, either.

wth?!?!!

Yankee_In_TX
05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
And apparently Casey got yelled at for laying out for the ball during OTA's, lol.

MightyTExan
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
wth?!?!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/173295508_d3efaca024.jpg?v=0

Yankee_In_TX
05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Possibly NSFW

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/173297209_533263ed90.jpg?v=0

texanmojo
05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Possibly NSFW

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/173297209_533263ed90.jpg?v=0

And the problem with that is.....????? :)

Pantherstang84
05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Day 3 Quote

(on CB Glover Quin) “Well, he’s made some plays out here the first couple of days. He’s gotten his hands on the ball a couple of times. We’re playing him at nickel, also; (defensive backs coach) David (Gibbs) tells me he’s very sharp in the meeting room. He can return some, too. So there’s plenty of reps to go around, especially with Dunta (Robinson) not being here. It’s moved all those guys up as far as reps go, so he’s taking advantage of it.”

Hmmm.

Mailman
05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3439886&postcount=11

truth.

barrett
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but he's a lights out special teamer who can play SAM LB and rush from DE. He is very versatile and I think could latch on. June maybe, but he such a good nickle type LB'er I don't know. We have hard cuts to make this year.

I don't see how his attributes are not compensated by Diles as a lights out ST and Cushing as a rusher from DE. He's compensated for unfortunately. I don't expect to see him anywhere on the depth chart

I see absolutely no problem with her as a reporter. Her insight is both enjoyable and wonderfully insightful. She's a pleasure to listen to and I love her take on football and all things pertaining to it. She is by and far my favorite part of the Chonicles coverage. If you disagree with me you're not looking at the picture above.

kozanack
05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I see absolutely no problem with her as a reporter. Her insight is both enjoyable and wonderfully insightful. She's a pleasure to listen to and I love her take on football and all things pertaining to it. She is by and far my favorite part of the Chonicles coverage. If you disagree with me you're not looking at the picture above.

My respect for Anna-Megan is suddenly deeper and more profound....:howdy:

Mailman
05-21-2009, 12:04 AM

I remain unconvinced. That's not to say I can't be swayed, but I need more proof.:)

DexmanC
05-21-2009, 12:15 AM

If that's Anna-Megan, I can see why John Mcclain has a hard time speakin'
clearly when she's around. DAAAANNNGGG!!

Wolf
05-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Former Oklahoma offensive lineman Brandon Walker was released by the Houston Texans on Tuesday, two days after he was arrested by Norman police on charges of allegedly driving under the influence

http://mobile.newsok.com/former-ou-offensive-lineman-brandon-walker-released-by-houston-texans/article/3371169

Insideop
05-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Good stuff for today:

Glover Quinn Impresses:

Could play Safety:

Slaton bulked up

It's good to hear this about Quin. When he was drafted in the 4th I was thinking, Glover who? But after reading more about him it looked like another good pick by Smith and Kubes. Now reading more good things about him makes me feel even better. Could turn out to be another 4th round gem!

I still don't know what to think about Slaton adding weight. It'll be good if he doesn't lose any of his quickness and ability to hit the hole the way he did last year. For me, the jury is still out on this until I see him play. JMHO!

ObsiWan
05-22-2009, 01:54 PM

what's with the Raider/Buccaneer get-up??
:cool:

Dapper
05-22-2009, 07:59 PM

I don't know and I don't care!!!

SsssssssssssssssssssssssssssMOKING!!!!:heart: :pirate: :heart:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

ObsiWan
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
In the interest of getting back on topic...

OTA photos (http://www.houstontexans.com/gallery.asp?section_id=638)

AJ beats Reeves (to be filed in the "dog bites man" catagory) :)

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10248.jpg

ObsiWan
05-22-2009, 08:44 PM
OTA photos

A Chris Brown sighting ...a healthy Chris Brown... (definitely in the "Man Bites Dog" catagory)

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10245.jpg

mexican_texan
05-22-2009, 10:25 PM
In the interest of getting back on topic...

OTA photos (http://www.houstontexans.com/gallery.asp?section_id=638)

AJ beats Reeves (to be filed in the "dog bites man" catagory) :)

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/10248.jpg
I like that Reeves is smiling, and there's no sarcasm in my statement.

D-Frank
05-25-2009, 12:24 PM

how many objects can you find fake in the anna megan image?:whip:

OzzO
05-26-2009, 01:11 PM
From Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-hou&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report), May 23rd:

So far, Cushing isn’t overwhelmed by any of it. If he has set any regular-season goals, he’s not divulging them. He is focused more on the day-to-day aspect of OTAs, and simply making sure he goes where he is supposed to during practice.

“I can’t be coming in here screwing up every single play,” Cushing said. “There’s a lot expected of me. I understand that, and I have to know the insides and outs of the defense.”....

• Matt Schaub jogged out on the field free of the knee brace he wore the final month of last season. The shoulder surgery he underwent last offseason was also a distant memory as he participated in the Texans’ first day of organized team activities Monday.

For the past three months, Schaub has avoided the training room and enjoyed a “normal” offseason.

... as long as that doesn't translate to a shortened season....

...Smith, the Texans’ top free agent signing in the offseason, has been hampered by a hamstring injury for two weeks, and missed the first two days of OTAs.

Pitts may miss the entire session of OTAs after having his elbows “cleaned out,” said coach Gary Kubiak....

I think some items have been mentioned already, but there ya go.

Polo
05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I know folks keep saying Smith's injury is 'just a hammy' but it still concerns me...

I can't remember a time in the teams history when an injury was 'just' something...It always seems like it turns into something more...

Also, the guy just got a nice chunk of change...

On top of that, this regime doesn't have the greatest track record with signing major free agents...

I hope I am worried for nothing though, but can see him as a candidate for dissapointing player of the year award. I call it the DOY!

infantrycak
05-26-2009, 01:29 PM
On top of that, this regime doesn't have the greatest track record with signing major free agents...

What am I missing here?

Ahman Green - injured.
Jacques Reeves - not injured as a Texan.
Smith - injured in OTA's, jury out.

Where is the significant track record?

Polo
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
What am I missing here?

Ahman Green - injured.
Jacques Reeves - not injured as a Texan.
Smith - injured in OTA's, jury out.

Where is the significant track record?

Didn't say significant. You did.

I say that they didn't have the greatest track record, and they don't.

But while you're at it please name one big or semi-big free agent that they have brought in that you would label a success???

There isn't one. That is my point. They do not have the greatest track record signing free during the off-season. That doesn't mean that their track record is "extensive" in any way.

And I would assign Weaver to this regime.

Polo
05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Quotable: “Man, he’s a very large individual. He got in my car the other day and his head was in the roof. He made me feel like a little punk and I’m like, man! I don’t even want him no more. o, but he’s a good dude. I’ve hung out with him a couple of times here and there. We went out and watched the game last week at a restaurant, but he’s definitely going to add a dimension to our defense. He’s big, he can come off the edge, he can cover, he can do it all.”
-Linebacker Zac Diles on Brian Cushing

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5305

gtexan02
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
uh-oh!

(on how the Texans want to use him) “Basically, I’m a renaissance man. I’m going to do a little bit of everything – a little bit of inside, nickel and some dropping into coverage.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5306

barrett
05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
He's an enjoyable interviewee.

I sure with Conner Barwin was here to get some of the teaching he's missing out on. I'm very curious to see what our nickle package is going to look like.

Maddict5
05-28-2009, 04:27 AM
how did jacoby 'fall down the stairs'? i presumed metaphorically at first but now after reading it again im not so sure lol

ObsiWan
05-28-2009, 06:21 AM
how did jacoby 'fall down the stairs'? i presumed metaphorically at first but now after reading it again im not so sure lol

From HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5305)

Jacboy takes a tumble: Wide receiver Jacoby Joneshttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5305#) slipped at his home on Monday and suffered a tailbone bruise which held him out of Tuesday’s practice. He should return to action this week.
“He fell somewhere in his house and has a tailbone bruise, so he misses today,” Kubiak said. “He’s moving around very slowly, but he did call his coach right when he fell.”

yep, he for really slipped down the stairs and busted his .....bumm.

Maddict5
05-28-2009, 07:43 AM
From HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5305)

yep, he for really slipped down the stairs and busted his .....bumm.

did he slip on an empty mcdonalds bag too? smh :user: