PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing...

Blake
05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
... about our franchise, what would it be?

Name one thing you would change if you were Bob McNair.

I assume some would agree with mine. The name. Maybe it takes time to establish, but the Texans just sounds dorky to me. I would use...

Apollo's
Dealers
Hurricanes

I think the name says alot about the entire organization.

:pigfly:

Brando
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM

I assume some would agree with mine. The name. Maybe it takes time to establish, but the Texans just sounds dorky to me. I would use...

Apollo's
Dealers
Hurricanes

I think the name says a lot about the entire organization.

I like the name Texans. The name says a lot about the orginization? Dealers? nah....car dealers, drug dealers.....:cool:

I'm proud to be a Texan and a Texans fan.

:texflag:

One thing I would change about the orginization would go all the way back to hiring Charlie Casserly. That would have meant maybe no Dom Capers, no David Carr, The Butterfly Effect.

Showtime100
05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Our playoff record...lol. :texflag:

TimeKiller
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
If this were day 1 I would nix the Texans moniker and go with something original. To what, I'm not sure but not Texans.

Probably uniforms. I get the red, white, blue bit but our uniforms are so bland it hurts. And then they go crazy red (which is awesome just because it's not bland) and everybody's eyes start hurting. I'd just as soon see them playing in jeans, that would be far more representative!!

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather be 0-0 in the playoffs than 0-1.

jaayteetx
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
No PSL fees.

pbat488
05-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Tony Boselli actually played for a few seasons..

Blake
05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
One thing I would change about the orginization would go all the way back to hiring Charlie Casserly. That would have meant maybe no Dom Capers, no David Carr, The Butterfly Effect.

Now thats a good one!

Texan4Ever
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I'd change the players we drafted...for example, taking Bryant McKinne or Julius Peppers over David Carr. As for the name, Dealers, Apollos, and Hurricanes sound life Arena Football team names.

:texflag:

barrett
05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
all the obvious stuff aside like win more games, change the name to an arena name, draft superstar guy etc.... I'd make the logo smaller on the helmets, white over blue as the permanent home uni, keep the enzones blue open the roof more. and so on.

edit: by the way i think "texans" is the most perfect name ever.

swtbound07
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd get us a legit free safety

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I'd change my underwear... because if I were Bob McNair, I would piss my pants from excitement.

ObsiWan
05-18-2009, 03:43 PM

you just won't let that go will you?
:)

Joe Texan
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I would Tell the coaches that we shall never lose to the Titans or the Cowboys and when we do your fired

ChampionTexan
05-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I would Tell the coaches that we shall never lose to the Titans or the Cowboys and when we do your fired

So you would be Al Davis (post mind-loss), Bill Bidwill, and Mike Brown all rolled into one?

Speedy
05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
If the biggest thing bothering you about this franchise is the name or their uniform........then we must have 3 more months to go 'til we see some football.

Honestly, I don't know if there's a whole lot I would have changed. Yeah, looking back now you can say this or that. I think I wouldn't have drafted a QB with the 1st pick. Not just not draft Carr, I wouldn't have drafted any QB to start an expansion franchise to throw out there behind a makeshift line. I would have started on defense. That probably means Peppers.

ObsiWan
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Apollo's
Dealers
Hurricanes

I think the name says alot about the entire organization.

Agreed.

I wouldn't go as far as "dorky" but we sure as hell could have been more imaginative.

but since you already picked that one I'll go with this one....

I would refrain from letting Casserly chase off all my experienced players - especially the defensive backfield guys - just because they were nearing 30.

When (if that story is true) Casserly came to me (as Bob McNair) with that idea, I would have known was heading my team in a bad direction and probably would have fired him on the spot. No business or other kind of operation can be successful when they just toss their experience base out the door because of some arbitrary age number. That's just dumb. When Casserly came to me with a hair-brained idea like that, I would have canned him outright.

Its one thing if they can't cut it any more. Its another to cull just because of age.

Texaninlild
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
If the biggest thing bothering you about this franchise is the name or their uniform........then we must have 3 more months to go 'til we see some football.

Honestly, I don't know if there's a whole lot I would have changed. Yeah, looking back now you can say this or that. I think I wouldn't have drafted a QB with the 1st pick. Not just not draft Carr, I wouldn't have drafted any QB to start an expansion franchise to throw out there behind a makeshift line. I would have started on defense. That probably means Peppers.

I second that harumph, harumph, harumph. Give the Speedy a harumph!

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Actually, if there really is one thing I would change (not in the past but going forward)... I would make it easier for fans to get autographs of the players the want.

I think it's only fair for those people that support your players, your team, your stadium that they can 'interact' with their favorite player(s). Obviously not all fans can go to lunch or do neat things like that, but something so simple as an autograph. I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to these Texans All Access type of events hoping to get personalized Mario Williams and Andre Johnson's autographs on 8x10 photos I have of them. Only to stand in a line for an hour hoping they are the ones to be seated there and then I find out its Glenn Earl and Von Hutchins (no offense).

I'd love to have a picture with some of my favorite players and their autographs. I don't know the best way for an organization to accomodate this for all fans but I'm a little disappointed with the past and current plans.

I remember when I was little, my dad taking me to an Oilers event where you could get autographs. I brought a football and just about every player there signed it, Warren Moon, Webster Slaughter, Heywood Jeffries.. I still got that football. What actually remember most though is Al Del Greco signing it and then kicking it over the table back to me and me catching it. That's a story that's stuck in my mind for at least 15 years now and that's something I think any big Texans fan should have.

ObsiWan
05-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I second that harumph, harumph, harumph. Give the Speedy a harumph!
http://www.morethings.com/fan/blazing_saddles/blazing-saddles-355.jpg
hrumph!

...and "Hello Boys"

thunderkyss
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
If I could have done things differently, I would have told my coach/GM, that I wanted to build this team around defense. That's were our identity would have been.

Goldensilence
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
If i could change one thing about the Texans here it is: it's that we got the same deal the city of Cleveland got when the Browns were taken away and moved to Baltimore. Houston gets to keep the Oilers name,the powder blue jersies, the Derrick Dollies, all the history(good and bad), and legends while temporarily suspending operations for future owner, Bob McNair. The city also gets a promise of a team returning to Houston via expansion. Screw stealing another city's team. We also get the draft deal Cleveland got upon re-entering the NFL. We get to celebrate our legends in the city they deserve to be celebrated in.

Bud Adams gets to move the team to a city state that deserves him, and a population that is so happy to have something to cheer for they don't mind getting robbed by a crappy owner.

Since this didn't happen obviously I would like to chime in how I feel about the name of the Texans. I've grown to really like it.

Upon hearing the name would be the Texans, I cringed a bit and was wary of the name.Then I saw the logo and it was all ok. IMO the logo saved the team name and admittedly I like the color scheme. I'm curious what other colors people would've liked to see.

I also like the fact that the Texans implies a natural history to the team. One that few teams in professional sports have like the 49ers, the Steelers, or the Patriots to name a few. To me in a way it pays homage to the tenacity of those people who founded a new nation and the greatest state in the Union. You won't find a Bengal in Cinci, A Seahawk in Seattle, you damn sure won't find a Titan in Tennessee, but if you look to Texas, you always find a Texan. texanpride

mexican_texan
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I never would have drafted Carr. And I'm not just saying that because of hindsight. I would never give a big contract to a player who doesn't have a strong work ethic and isn't fully committed to being a good player, putting in long hours after most of the other players have left the premises.

Dapper
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM

so we DO have a something in common!:texflag:

Hah!:whip:

BSofA04
05-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Make the Battle Red the primary jersey. It just looks so much better.

Hottoddie
05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Living in the Past

I would've taken Marion Barber instead of Vernand Morency in the 2005 draft.

Looking to the Future

I would change the color of the home uniforms to the red jerseys & & steel blue pants.

Hervoyel
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I go with hiring someone other than Charlie Casserly to guide Bob McNair through the early days of building the team. I think when his entire job performance is evaluated it becomes impossible to deny the fact that in just about every misstep along the way Charlie Casserly's fingerprint can be found in the evidence. I'm not saying he didn't do good things at times because he did make a few good decisions. I just think that for every intelligent decision he helped Bob McNair make he did two or three other things that completely negated the positives.

He was instrumental in giving Dom Capers the job. That was not a good move in my opinion. We all know what kind of staff Dom put together here and how ridiculous they looked trying to mold a team. Only a situation involving an expansion team would have allowed that staff to stay together that long without being exposed as the collection of circus clowns they were. Ironically they fired one of the few guys who was worth keeping first (which speaks volumes really).

Casserly was instrumental in the decision to approach the expansion draft the way they did which I saw as a relative positive (going with quality over quantity) and the Texans put together a pretty good defense there. Unfortunately you also have to hang the decision to take Boselli on him as well and this was to be a theme that the Texans revisited time and time again. Not enough due dillegence was done before taking him. Throughout Casserly's time here he drafted or aquired players who he did not do enough research on. As a result we ended up getting the shaft over and over again.

Drafting the QB first in 2002 was a huge mistake and Casserly should have known better than this. If I'd been in his shoes Bob McNair would have taken David Carr over my dead body. He had been saying all along that they were going to build this team from the lines out and yet they picked a QB first overall. I was sick as were many of you I know. Drafting in general was a Casserly weak spot. The Texans were lousy in the draft for most of his time here and only got it right in the most obvious of situations. Hell, they even screwed some of those up. Through 5 years of drafting I watched Casserly wheel and deal the Texans into a talent-free state all while maintaining this illusions that he was somehow a gifted evaluator of talent. I'd give anything for the opportunity to slap this guy upside his head just once. It would be worth the jail time. His "Riverboat Gambler" persona and "I'm smarter than all of you" attitude was a disaster for the team. You could have assembled a more talented roster by just picking random names you recognized from a previous season of watching some college ball and that's not even a joke. I mean it.

Maybe if Bob McNair doesn't hire Casserly to hold his hand in the early days then something else bad happens but I'm willing to take that chance because I know how much damage hiring that asshat did to this team.

Goatcheese
05-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I would have named myself acting GM, then built in the trenches before ever dreaming about taking a QB.

TexanSam
05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of the name "Texans". I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either. That said, it sounds a lot better than the Houston Stallions or the Houston Apollos. i liked the name Wildcatters (the other finalist for the name).

OzzO
05-19-2009, 07:14 AM
An open air stadium - whether that is the new Dallas version with the roof retracting and the endzones opening or a full blown open stadium.

... yeah, that's pretty much it.

SheTexan
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
An open air stadium - whether that is the new Dallas version with the roof retracting and the endzones opening or a full blown open stadium.

... yeah, that's pretty much it.

A closed roof! Yep, that's pretty much it!:)

GP
05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I go with hiring someone other than Charlie Casserly to guide Bob McNair through the early days of building the team. I think when his entire job performance is evaluated it becomes impossible to deny the fact that in just about every misstep along the way Charlie Casserly's fingerprint can be found in the evidence. I'm not saying he didn't do good things at times because he did make a few good decisions. I just think that for every intelligent decision he helped Bob McNair make he did two or three other things that completely negated the positives.

He was instrumental in giving Dom Capers the job. That was not a good move in my opinion. We all know what kind of staff Dom put together here and how ridiculous they looked trying to mold a team. Only a situation involving an expansion team would have allowed that staff to stay together that long without being exposed as the collection of circus clowns they were. Ironically they fired one of the few guys who was worth keeping first (which speaks volumes really).

Casserly was instrumental in the decision to approach the expansion draft the way they did which I saw as a relative positive (going with quality over quantity) and the Texans put together a pretty good defense there. Unfortunately you also have to hang the decision to take Boselli on him as well and this was to be a theme that the Texans revisited time and time again. Not enough due dillegence was done before taking him. Throughout Casserly's time here he drafted or aquired players who he did not do enough research on. As a result we ended up getting the shaft over and over again.

Drafting the QB first in 2002 was a huge mistake and Casserly should have known better than this. If I'd been in his shoes Bob McNair would have taken David Carr over my dead body. He had been saying all along that they were going to build this team from the lines out and yet they picked a QB first overall. I was sick as were many of you I know. Drafting in general was a Casserly weak spot. The Texans were lousy in the draft for most of his time here and only got it right in the most obvious of situations. Hell, they even screwed some of those up. Through 5 years of drafting I watched Casserly wheel and deal the Texans into a talent-free state all while maintaining this illusions that he was somehow a gifted evaluator of talent. I'd give anything for the opportunity to slap this guy upside his head just once. It would be worth the jail time. His "Riverboat Gambler" persona and "I'm smarter than all of you" attitude was a disaster for the team. You could have assembled a more talented roster by just picking random names you recognized from a previous season of watching some college ball and that's not even a joke. I mean it.

Maybe if Bob McNair doesn't hire Casserly to hold his hand in the early days then something else bad happens but I'm willing to take that chance because I know how much damage hiring that asshat did to this team.

That right there is the biggest thing that made our team so awful.

I'm with Herv on that one.

Casserly was given the keys to the Carr, and he wrecked it. Interestingly enough, though, I think it helped McNair to see what NOT to do.

TEXANS84
05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Never, ever deciding to go with Victor Riley at left tackle.

That was (besides the Carr incident) one of the worst decisions ever.

Runner
05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Never, ever deciding to go with Victor Riley at left tackle.

That was (besides the Carr incident) one of the worst decisions ever.

Straight political - coaches vs. front office - decision on that one. The coaches picked Riley to play to spite Casserly.

beerlover
05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
interesting....I was under the impression "if you could change one thing"....going forward. can't change none of that other stuff :spit:

freeze ticket costs & lower concessions especially BEER to win over fan base in these tough economic times :beer:

as a matter of fact yours truely would sacrifice his family, job & all free time to establish inside Relient a Micro-brewery for fans to enjoy game day. this would upgrade fan enjoyment, give them their monies worth, educate all on beer styles & offer a unique expereince to visitors alike. I could see it now Texan Red, Texan Wit, Texan Blonde, Texan Pale Ale, Texan Barleywine.....hey this has about as much a chance of happening as changing past events, unless someone invents a time machine :wesmantexanfan:

False Start
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Apollo's

Then we could have this guy as our mascot:

http://www.quirkcollective.com/images/apollo_trunks.jpg

I love the name Texans, I wouldn't change it for anything.

scourge
05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I love the logo and uniforms. The battle red should stay as is. I like it as a special uni. Making it the standard takes away from what it is to me.

I can't stand the name though. the other options weren't great either. Maybe the Stampede, Bulls, Toros, etc...

El Tejano
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
If I could change one thing it would've been to not hire Capers as a head coach. This basically set up two things that IMO screwed the franchise before it even got off the ground.

A) We took Tony Bosseli because he was Capers boy from Jville.
B) His 3-4 defense forced us to not take Peppers.

If you look at those two things you can see how this all unfolded. Since Bosseli was somone Capers knew and so many people were screaming future hall of famer about him, we didn't take Willie Roaf because of an "injury history" with the Saints. Willie Roaf went on to a couple of Pro Bowls with Kansas City, Boselli goes into early retirement.

Then because we felt we had such a great OT and because of Caper's 3-4 defense we didn't go with the best player in that draft Julius Peppers and it took 4 years to even find anything close to that kind of pass rusher.

Also because we felt we were going to have an awesome OT, Caper's felt like David Carr could start right off the bat. On an expansion franchise with a bunch of used to unwanted OL from other teams. That was a joke. If anything they could've let Carr have a year to learn the pro game and let a free agent QB hold it down like Tony Banks. They actually won games with Tony Banks.

Letting David Carr start right off the bat would be my second choice of things I would change.

steelbtexan
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Yep

Spot on

Repped

barrett
05-20-2009, 01:19 AM
If i could change one thing about the Texans here it is: it's that we got the same deal the city of Cleveland got when the Browns were taken away and moved to Baltimore. Houston gets to keep the Oilers name,the powder blue jersies, the Derrick Dollies, all the history(good and bad), and legends while temporarily suspending operations for future owner, Bob McNair. The city also gets a promise of a team returning to Houston via expansion. Screw stealing another city's team. We also get the draft deal Cleveland got upon re-entering the NFL. We get to celebrate our legends in the city they deserve to be celebrated in.

Bud Adams gets to move the team to a city state that deserves him, and a population that is so happy to have something to cheer for they don't mind getting robbed by a crappy owner.

Since this didn't happen obviously I would like to chime in how I feel about the name of the Texans. I've grown to really like it.

Upon hearing the name would be the Texans, I cringed a bit and was wary of the name.Then I saw the logo and it was all ok. IMO the logo saved the team name and admittedly I like the color scheme. I'm curious what other colors people would've liked to see.

I also like the fact that the Texans implies a natural history to the team. One that few teams in professional sports have like the 49ers, the Steelers, or the Patriots to name a few. To me in a way it pays homage to the tenacity of those people who founded a new nation and the greatest state in the Union. You won't find a Bengal in Cinci, A Seahawk in Seattle, you damn sure won't find a Titan in Tennessee, but if you look to Texas, you always find a Texan. texanpride

I can dig it. Good answer. I wasn't even an oilers fan and I think it's a tragedy. Then again, I don't know if I'd be a diehard like I am now if they weren't called the Texans. I was really far from home when this team was created and being a "Texan" fan was so much something I could relate to.I'm not a "Cowboy" fan or an "Oiler" fan. I hate the cowboys. I wasn't and Oiler, but I am, and always have been a "Texan". We are "Texans".

I don't get how anyone could think of it as unimaginative. It's not that they couldn't come up with anything better. It's that it actually means something. And it means something more in this state than any other. There are "New Yorkers" and that is a city with the same kind of association. It says New Yorkers are different than everyone else. A more definitive type.

If you've never lived outside of Texas then you may not appreciate what it is to be one. I'm not talking about cowboys and big trucks. I'm talking about stuff you can't put your finger on if you're not from here. I think the name suits us wonderfully right down to how the organization is run. I think the logo looks like something from a video game.

ObsiWan
05-20-2009, 05:49 AM

While I agree with the first part of your post, NFL history is on Bud's side. - Ersay, not the city of Baltimore, kept the Colts history.
- Al Davis kept the Raiders history when he moved to L.A.
- The Rams franchise kept their history when they moved from L.A. That history also includes their history in Cleveland. So thru 3 cities, the team history stayed with the team, not the city.
- Arizona inherited the Cardinals history when they moved west to St. Louis.

The Browns got a special deal. Why? Because the Cleveland fanbase sued Art Modell - and by inference, the NFL - after they'd voted to give Art his new stadium. Advertisers dumped the Browns after the announcement to move the team to Baltimore was made. In other words, the fanbase MOBILIZED to keep their team in Cleveland. The NFL heard them and gave them what they wanted.

When Bud asked Houstonians for a new stadium (at the time the 'Dome was the smallest stadium in the NFL) Mayor Bob Lanier turned him down flat. And instead of doing what we could to keep our team here, all we Houston fans did was sit on our hands, whine, and call Bud names. Some of us are still doing it. Then we turned right around and gave McNair the new stadium that Bud had been asking for.

I'll never understand why we're mad at Bud for taking the better deal - Nashville gave Bud $144 mil for digs and guaranteed $70 mil in ticket sales. Bud took the better deal. From a cold-hearted business viewpoint, I don't blame him.

I'm mad at Bud for some of the dumb decisions he made - like trading Moon to the Vikings after they went 12-4 because they didn't make the super bowl THAT year. And because he fired Bum Phillips after he built a competitive team.
But not because he moved.

But that's water over the dam now.

Speedy
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
My how we forget how that possum wearing weasel held the city hostage the first time around when he had them rip out the giant scoreboard in the Dome for more seats or he was going to Jacksonville.

If I could change one thing, it would have been to let that weasel go then. Then instead of J-ville getting awarded a franchise in '95 because they would have already had Scum Adams team, maybe Houston and Carolina would have gotten it. We would have gotten the sweet deals J-ville and Carolina got and we wouldn't even have had to compete with LA since they had 2 teams at the time those franchises were awarded ('93-ish?).

ObsiWan
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
My how we forget how that possum wearing weasel held the city hostage the first time around when he had them rip out the giant scoreboard in the Dome for more seats or he was going to Jacksonville.

Bud asked the city to give the Dome - the smallest and one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL - a makeover to match the other stadiums in major mkts at the time and instead, the city of Houston tossed him a tube of lipstick and said, "This is all you get. Make do".
Meanwhile, Nashville stepped up and said we'll give you what you asked for (a new stadium) and then some (guaranteed ticket sales).

Think of how embarrassing that is. Nashville isn't one third the size of Houston, yet they stepped up while Mayor Lanier and the rest of us acted like cheapskates.

And is it really Bud's fault that Bob McNair didn't get the same deal that the Carolina and J-ville franchises got? I think that's on McNair's head. He's the one who agreed to that deal. When you think back on it, L.A. wasn't truly interested in a NFL franchise or they would have gotten their act together. We all know the NFL gave them every chance. So I'm not convinced the "competition" for that last franchise wasn't all it was pumped up to be in the press.

I've got enough to be pissed at Bud about, like I said before. But taking the better deal from a business standpoint, isn't on the list.

Brando
05-22-2009, 03:56 PM

If I could change one thing, it would have been to let that weasel go then. Then instead of J-ville getting awarded a franchise in '95 because they would have already had Scum Adams team, maybe Houston and Carolina would have gotten it. We would have gotten the sweet deals J-ville and Carolina got and we wouldn't even have had to compete with LA since they had 2 teams at the time those franchises were awarded ('93-ish?).

That would mean that the Buffalo comeback would have never happened. I'll take that. Rep.

Marcus
05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
If I could change one thing, it would be Buffalo falling short in their Comeback.

If that had happened, the Oilers would still be here, and the Houston Texans and the Tennessee Titans would not even exist.

:photos:

Double Barrel
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Bud asked the city to give the Dome - the smallest and one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL - a makeover to match the other stadiums in major mkts at the time and instead, the city of Houston tossed him a tube of lipstick and said, "This is all you get. Make do".

Historical revisionism aside, we were still paying a $60 million renovation on the Astrodome when he tried the hostage scam for a second time.

I make no apologies for despising Slug Adams and his Titans franchise. He refused to work with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and he wanted the city to GIVE him the land and a guaranteed tax break for specified period of time.

As much as you wish to make Slug a victim in this story and present it in black and white, there is more to the picture.

I do not defend Lanier. But he was temporary, as any mayor always is, and Slug had been here for decades with the full support of this fan base. He's a greedy slimeball, and his actions within his businesses and in this franchise relocation clearly reveal his vile nature.

With patience and willingness to work with the rodeo, he would have gotten a new stadium. But he had no desire for either, and the rest is history.

steelbtexan
05-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Historical revisionism aside, we were still paying a $60 million renovation on the Astrodome when he tried the hostage scam for a second time.

I make no apologies for despising Slug Adams and his Titans franchise. He refused to work with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and he wanted the city to GIVE him the land and a guaranteed tax break for specified period of time.

As much as you wish to make Slug a victim in this story and present it in black and white, there is more to the picture.

I do not defend Lanier. But he was temporary, as any mayor always is, and Slug had been here for decades with the full support of this fan base. He's a greedy slimeball, and his actions within his businesses and in this franchise relocation clearly reveal his vile nature.

With patience and willingness to work with the rodeo, he would have gotten a new stadium. But he had no desire for either, and the rest is history.

Truth

Preach to the chior

Silver Oak
05-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Two things I would change if I could...

1) build the stadium in the West or North suburbs. Enough with the downtown blight for game attendees. Give me a nice suburban location...say in the Spring area or Katy.

2) Don't draft DC...go OL or Peppers first.

in 20/20 hindsight

ObsiWan
05-23-2009, 06:03 PM

If all the Dome needed was that $60 million renovation, why didn't Bob McNair play in it?
hell, why don't we still play baseball in it??

It's time had come and gone is why.

And don't think that every time you buy a ticket we aren't paying for the $352 million it cost to build Reliant. We are.
And don't think that part of your electric bill, every month, isn't going to pay down that $300 million Reliant Energy paid to get their name plastered on that building.

KMG 365
05-23-2009, 07:34 PM
If I could change one thing it would be the name. I don't hate the name Texans, it's just that I think they could have done better.

Announcers flub our name a lot. I've heard them call us the "Houston Texas." Even worse they have called us the "Houston Titans." :brickwall:

Since the name isn't changing anytime soon, one thing I would like to happen is have training camp someplace other than Houston. I think it would help spread the recognition of the team and maybe increase our fan base.

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
And is it really Bud's fault that Bob McNair didn't get the same deal that the Carolina and J-ville franchises got? I think that's on McNair's head. He's the one who agreed to that deal.

I'm pretty sure by "deals" he's talking about how Carolina and Jacksonville got very "expansion team" friendly extra draft picks to help start off their new franchises with.........unlike Houston who had to pay for the success that Jacksonville and Carolina had. So no, none of that was McNair's fault.

ObsiWan
05-24-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm pretty sure by "deals" he's talking about how Carolina and Jacksonville got very "expansion team" friendly extra draft picks to help start off their new franchises with.........unlike Houston who had to pay for the success that Jacksonville and Carolina had. So no, none of that was McNair's fault.

Oh I know we got shafted compared to Carolina and J-ville; no doubt about it. And I admit, saying McNair is at fault for that is a stretch - okay a big stretch. He wanted that franchise so he wasn't exactly bargaining from a position of strength. But saying its Bud's fault we didn't get the same deal is inaccurate too. That was the commish and his cronies. The other owners realized that they gave those two franchises the assets to become strong so fast they leapfrogged existing teams. The owners got together and said, "never again".

And, it may be the conspiracy theorist in me, but I'll bet my last dollar that if L.A. had stepped up and got that last franchise, they would have gotten a deal closer to the J-ville/Carolina deals.

Like I've said, I'm mad at Bud for firing Bum for not being able to beat the '70s Steelers - hell, hardly anybody beat the '70s Steelers. Ask the Cowpies about that.
And I'm pissed at him for dismantling a 12-4 team because they didn't reach the super bowl on his demand. ...I mean, we went right into the tank after that. From three consecutive winning (and playoff) seasons from 1991 thru 1993 to the crapper in '94 (2-14) because Bud was an asshat.

You guys have your reasons. I have mine.
We can agree to disagree on the reasons. Not the bottom line emotions.

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh I know we got shafted compared to Carolina and J-ville; no doubt about it. And I admit, saying McNair is at fault for that is a stretch - okay a big stretch. He wanted that franchise so he wasn't exactly bargaining from a position of strength. But saying its Bud's fault we didn't get the same deal is inaccurate too. That was the commish and his cronies. The other owners realized that they gave those two franchises the assets to become strong so fast they leapfrogged existing teams. The owners got together and said, "never again".

And, it may be the conspiracy theorist in me, but I'll bet my last dollar that if L.A. had stepped up and got that last franchise, they would have gotten a deal closer to the J-ville/Carolina deals.

Like I've said, I'm mad at Bud for firing Bum for not being able to beat the '70s Steelers - hell, hardly anybody beat the '70s Steelers. Ask the Cowpies about that.
And I'm pissed at him for dismantling a 12-4 team because they didn't reach the super bowl on his demand. ...I mean, we went right into the tank after that. From three consecutive winning (and playoff) seasons from 1991 thru 1993 to the crapper in '94 (2-14) because Bud was an asshat.

You guys have your reasons. I have mine.
We can agree to disagree on the reasons. Not the bottom line emotions.

To be honest, I don't think a bunch of extra draft picks would've helped us all that much in 2002. I mean we had Charlie at the helm and 2002 went down as a notorious bad draft. We probably would've had even more bad draft picks taking up starting spots early on.

djohn2oo8
05-24-2009, 01:30 PM

There was a rumor going around that before the franchise started up, Bud Adams offered Bob Mcnair the rights to use the Oilers name for 10 million dollars

thunderkyss
05-24-2009, 01:36 PM
There was a rumor going around that before the franchise started up, Bud Adams offered Bob Mcnair the rights to use the Oilers name for 10 million dollars

Do you remember how much McNair paid Jerry Jones for the "Texans" name?

nunusguy
05-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I never liked the name either - it's meaningless and its conception
shows an utter lack of imagination.
I dunno, why are there so many dud nicknames for pro teams ?

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Somehow I serously doubt that's true. I remember when Adams' team won the AFC and he was basically asked what he was going to do with the ring, he said something like he was going to put it on his middle finger for Houston, while the fat slob was flipping off the damn camera with a shit eating grin on his face. I doubt that guy was ever going to give us the "Oiler rights".

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I dunno, why are there so many dud nicknames for pro teams ?

Didn't like the name at first........absolutely love it now, especially considering the options that were available. Plus the unis are fantastic, people around the league love the unis too.....even our divisional rivals. Everytime I go into a "best NFL jerseys" thread Houston is usually mentioned league wide.

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Anyways if I could change one thing it would've been the drafting of David Carr. That one single move set this team back 5 long years.

mexican_texan
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you remember how much McNair paid Jerry Jones for the "Texans" name?
How does he have the rights? The Hunt family should own the history of the Dallas Texans.

Carr Bombed
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
How does he have the rights? The Hunt family should own the history of the Dallas Texans.

Yep

The Pencil Neck
05-24-2009, 10:41 PM

Exactly.

sometexansfan
05-25-2009, 04:03 AM
That's an easy one, no Charlie Casserly.

sometexansfan
05-25-2009, 04:07 AM
How does he have the rights? The Hunt family should own the history of the Dallas Texans. I remember hearing something about McNair calling Lamar Hunt and asking about the Texans name and Hunt giving his blessing.

mancunian
05-25-2009, 04:59 AM
The Texans name has grown on me but I would have still preferred Stallions and with the all the "bull" imagery maybe we should have been the Bulls.

Ob the field we should have sat Carr for a year behind a veteran. I think that he never recovered from being flattened 76 times that year and it adversely affected his development.

Not playing Matt Stevens would be good and not releasing Jamie Sharper before the 2 - 14 season.

danger6
05-25-2009, 07:14 AM
The Texans name has grown on me but I would have still preferred Stallions and with the all the "bull" imagery maybe we should have been the Bulls.

The "Bulls" was a favorite of mine. I think there was some restriction against using a name that was already in use within the NBA or MLB. Hence, they went with the "Toros" as an alternative. That didn't rate highly in their straw poles.

OzzO
05-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh my gosh - if we woulda used Stallions, you think the Denver references / relations were bad now....

ObsiWan
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
To be honest, I don't think a bunch of extra draft picks would've helped us all that much in 2002. I mean we had Charlie at the helm and 2002 went down as a notorious bad draft. We probably would've had even more bad draft picks taking up starting spots early on.

This post kinda got me to thinking... just who did we have to pick from in the expansion draft?
I found this list provided by ProFootball Weekly (http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/features_2001/expansion_draftlist.asp)... the bolded names are, obviously, who we selected. the names in red are guys I'm wondering why we passed on - too old? contract too big?

Arizona — DE Jabari Issa, WR Rob Moore, DB Jacoby Rhinehart (recalled), LB Johnny Rutledge, OG Yusuf Scott.
Atlanta — RB Jamal Anderson, DB Ronnie Bradford, QB Chris Chandler, TE Derek Rackley, RB Rodney Thomas.
Baltimore — DE Rob Burnett, LB Brad Jackson, WR Jermaine Lewis, LB Jamie Sharper, OG Kip Vickers.
Buffalo — WR-KR Avion Black, OT John Fina, DB Raion Hill, DB Ken Irvin, QB Rob Johnson.
Carolina — RB Tshimanga Biakabutuka, CB Doug Evans, DT Sean Gilbert, DB Jimmy Hitchcock, LB Dean Wells.
Chicago — RB Autry Denson, OG Kevin Dogins, DB Than Merrill (recalled), DT Robert Newkirk, QB Danny Wuerffel.
Cincinnati — OT John Jackson, LB Riall Johnson, DE Jevon Langford, TE Tony McGee, OT Jamain Stephens.
Cleveland — LB Brant Boyer (recalled), DB Lamar Chapman, CB Corey Fuller, OG Jeremy McKinney, OT Roman Oben.
Dallas — OG Ben Fricke (recalled), TE Johnny Huggins, TE Mike Solwold, C Mark Stepnoski, S George Teague.
Denver — DT Jerry Johnson, WR Phil McGeoghan, DE Kavika Pittman, LB Bill Romanowski, RB Detron Smith.
Detroit — TE Brad Banta, QB Charlie Batch, RB Reuben Droughns, S Kurt Schultz, RB James Stewart.
Green Bay — C Rob Davis, DT Santana Dotson, LB Bernardo Harris, DE John Thierry, LB K.D. Williams.
Indianapolis — CB Jeff Burris, DB Chad Cota, TE Ken Dilger, DT Ellis Johnson, DT Mike Wells.
Jacksonville — OT Tony Boselli, WR Keenan McCardell, DT Seth Payne, DT Gary Walker, OG Zach Wiegert.
Kansas City — DB Taje Allen, WR Derrick Alexander, DT Nate Hobgood-Chittick, WR Larry Parker, DB Bracy Walker.
Miami — DT Tim Bowens, OG Heath Irwin, TE Hunter Goodwin, LB Scott Galyon, RB James Johnson.
Minnesota — OT Brad Badger, LB Ed McDaniel, DB Robert Tate, DB Orlando Thomas, WR Troy Walters.
New England — WR Charles Johnson, LB Ted Johnson, LB Willie McGinest, CB Terrance Shaw, S Matt Stevens.
New Orleans — OG Tom Ackerman, QB Jeff Blake, S Richard Newsome, LB Darrin Smith, OG Wally Williams.
New York Giants — LB Jessie Armstead, DB Sam Garnes, DE Kenny Holmes, OG Glenn Parker, DB Dave Thomas.
New York Jets — DT Shane Burton, CB Marcus Coleman, CB Aaron Glenn, DB Chris Hayes, OT Ryan Young.
Oakland — LB Elijah Alexander, RB Terry Kirby, WR Marcus Knight, DB Marquez Pope, DT Josh Taves.
Philadelphia — CB Darrel Crutchfield, CB William Hampton (recalled), OT Ryan Schau, WR Gari Scott, TE Jeff Thomason.
Pittsburgh — WR Troy Edwards, FB Jon Witman, C Mike Schneck, OL Roger Duffy, WR Will Blackwell.
St. Louis — LB Brian Allen, LB Mark Fields, CB Jacoby Shepherd, OT Ryan Tucker, RB Justin Watson.
San Diego — QB Dave Dickenson, LB Deon Humphrey, TE Freddie Jones, RB Fred McCrary, DB Jason Perry.
San Francisco — TE Greg Clark, S John Keith, C Ben Lynch, DT Reggie McGrew, DB Anthony Parker.
Seattle — WR Fabien Bownes, C J.P. Darche (recalled), DB Paul Miranda, RB-PR Charlie Rogers, DE Michael Sinclair.
Tampa Bay — LB Jeff Gooch, DE Marcus Jones (recalled), OG Randall McDaniel, TE Sean McDermott, DB Eric Vance.
Tennessee — DB Michael Booker, DB DeRon Jenkins, OG Bruce Matthews, WR Chris Sanders, DE Juqua Thomas.
Washington — C Ethan Albright, RB Michael Bates, OG Matt Campbell, DT Jerry DeLoach (recalled), WR Kevin Lockett.

Double Barrel
05-26-2009, 03:31 PM
If all the Dome needed was that $60 million renovation, why didn't Bob McNair play in it?
hell, why don't we still play baseball in it??

It's time had come and gone is why.

And don't think that every time you buy a ticket we aren't paying for the $352 million it cost to build Reliant. We are.
And don't think that part of your electric bill, every month, isn't going to pay down that $300 million Reliant Energy paid to get their name plastered on that building.

When Slug Adams was trying to use extortion to get his way with Houston (btw, Texans don't do well with those kind of demands), Drayton McClane was saying that the Astrodome was fine and dandy. It wasn't until after Slug put his tail between his legs and left town that Uncle Drayton decided he needed a new crib, too. ALL of these owners are greedy bastards and only in it for the money. To think otherwise is a bit naive.

But, I never defended the 'dome. I said - if you read it - that with patience, Slug Adams would have gotten a stadium deal IF he had been willing to work with the Houston Rodeo (something Bob McNair had no problem with). And the Astrodome renovation? IT WAS TO ADD MORE SEATS.

See, this is what you fail to grasp: Slug Adams had no desire to compromise or negotiate. It was black and white - you either went along with his ill-conceived "Bud Dome", or you lose the team. You can defend that fat bastard until you're blue in the face for all I care. Just don't spin it with untruths and horse crap. He was never willing to let any other organization use his stadium, which meant that one of Houston's biggest tourist draws would have been left out of the picture.

p.s. OF COURSE tickets sales are helping to pay for the stadium. Thank you for that astute observation, Captain Obvious. With regards to Reliant Energy, we don't use them at work or home, so that's a mute point.

----------------------

Back to the thread topic: I've thought about it, and the thing I would change would have been the name. Keep the logo and colors, but I would have went with the Houston Toros. Pay homage to our Spanish influence, the bull logo still works, and it's not the generic "Texans". But, I'm not unhappy with the name. It's just the one thing I would change "if I was the billionaire owner for a day".

barrett
05-26-2009, 07:11 PM

YOu know, I'm kind of thinking that we're better off this way. I think having to suffer through this will make it that much sweeter and that much more lasting having to actually grow a winner rather than just be one right out of the gates.

um, nunusguy.... where are you from exactly? what exactly about being a TEXAN is meaningless? I lived in florida for a year. Maybe that's more what you're accustomed to?

ObsiWan
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
When Slug Adams was trying to use extortion to get his way with Houston (btw, Texans don't do well with those kind of demands), Drayton McClane was saying that the Astrodome was fine and dandy. It wasn't until after Slug put his tail between his legs and left town that Uncle Drayton decided he needed a new crib, too. ALL of these owners are greedy bastards and only in it for the money. To think otherwise is a bit naive.

At the end of the day, every sport franchise is a business that exists in capitalist America. Of course they're in it for the money. I guess we all have our "Captain Obvious" moments. :)

See, this is what you fail to grasp: Slug Adams had no desire to compromise or negotiate. It was black and white - you either went along with his ill-conceived "Bud Dome", or you lose the team. You can defend that fat bastard until you're blue in the face for all I care. Just don't spin it with untruths and horse crap. He was never willing to let any other organization use his stadium, which meant that one of Houston's biggest tourist draws would have been left out of the picture.

First I don't know what you mean by "his stadium" unless you mean his proposed new one. Bud never owned any parts of the AstroDome complex. As you point out the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo and the Astros controlled the Dome complex. Bud and the Oilers had absolutely no control over Dome scheduling, revenues, or operation. Fact.

Second - referring to the bolded sentence - how is that different from what exists today? Houston has a separate stadium for football and for baseball? No one has a problem with that now. Why was it such a radical idea back then?

ObsiWan
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not trying to highjack this thread but some things must be answered

I said - if you read it - that with patience, Slug Adams would have gotten a stadium deal IF he had been willing to work with the Houston Rodeo (something Bob McNair had no problem with). And the Astrodome renovation? IT WAS TO ADD MORE SEATS.

I cannot find a single reference that supports that statement. It may well be correct. But nothing I can find on the web supports it or even mentions Bud negotiating with the Houston Rodeo. I have found six references on how things went down regarding Bud and his departure.
They all have two things in common.
(1) Bud asked/demanded/tried-to-extort (business-folk call it "leveraging") a new stadium for the Oilers.
(2) Mayor Bob Lanier and the city of Houston flat said "No".

I have no need to "spin it with untruths and horseccrap". So if these references are "untruths and horsecrap", I'm not the one doing the spinning.

Link 1 (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090524/SPORTS01/905240375/Titans+owner+Bud+Adams++vision+shaped+Nashville)
In Houston, the Oilers flourished for many years. But by the mid-1990s, Adams was at loggerheads with that city's power structure over control of the stadium there, the Astrodome. The Oilers never had control of its revenue, operation or scheduling. Houston's city fathers made it clear they would ignore Adams' pleas for a new stadium.

Link 2 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1187966) is a link to Ed Fowler's book "Loser Takes All" -- iFowler's take on how it all went down. You obviously can't read the whole book with this link but there's some interesting tidbits about who really orchestrated the Dome renovation (Ladd Herzog) and who helped him get it done behind the scenes (Astro's owner J.J.McMullen - now stop & think about who benefitted the most from those extra seats and new skyboxes in the Dome - Bud, who might fill them for 8-10 Sundays or McMullen who would have 81 regular season opportunities to cash in on them?? Interesting that he was quite content to let Bud take all the heat).

Link 3 (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Bud_Adams?p=5)
By the mid-1990s, several NFL teams had new stadiums built largely or entirely with public funding, and several more such deals had been agreed to. These new venues featured amenities such as "club seating" and other potential revenue streams that were not part of the NFL's revenue-sharing arrangements. Adams began to lobby Mayor (http://wapedia.mobi/en/List_of_mayors_of_Houston)Bob Lanier (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Bob_Lanier_(politician)) for a new stadium. Lanier told him that the city did for him in 1987 was enough.

Link 4 (http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/Astrodome.htm)
By the mid 1990s, both tenants of the Astrodome, the Oilers and Astros wanted new individual stadiums. Adams was not satisfied as he began to lobby for a new dome stadium to be built in downtown Houston. In 1993 Adams was willing to contribute $85 million to a stadium but Houston officials and residents were not willing to fund a new stadium. After failing to receive support for a stadium the Oilers relocated to Nashville.

Link 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrodome)
The Astrodome began to show its age by the 1990s. On August 19, 1995, a scheduled preseason game between the Oilers and the San Diego Chargers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Chargers) had to be canceled due to the dilapidated condition of the playing field. Adams issued a new set of demands, this time for a completely new stadium, but the city of Houston refused to fund such a venture.

Link 6 (http://enc.slider.com/Enc/K._S._Adams#The_Houston_Oilers_and_the_Astrodome)
By the mid-1990s (http://enc.slider.com/Enc/1990s), several NFL teams (http://enc.slider.com/Enc/K._S._Adams#) had new stadiums built largely or entirely with public funding, and several more such deals had been agreed to. These new venues featured amenities such as "club seating" and other potential revenue streams which were not part of the NFL's revenue-sharing arrangements. Adams began to lobby then-Houston mayor Bob Lanier for a new stadium for his team. Lanier disliked Adams intensely, and told him that what had been done for him a decade earlier, which had been financed with bonds to be paid off over thirty years, was enough.

I'm not "spinning" anything. Just telling you what I found.
----------------------
And for the last time, we're in the same place where our resent of Bud is concerned...
...okay, maybe you're more intense with it than me.

...we just have different reasons.

/this discussion

Brando
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
This post kinda got me to thinking... just who did we have to pick from in the expansion draft?
I found this list provided by ProFootball Weekly (http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/features_2001/expansion_draftlist.asp)... the bolded names are, obviously, who we selected. the names in red are guys I'm wondering why we passed on - too old? contract too big?

Arizona — DE Jabari Issa, WR Rob Moore, DB Jacoby Rhinehart (recalled), LB Johnny Rutledge, OG Yusuf Scott.
Atlanta — RB Jamal Anderson, DB Ronnie Bradford, QB Chris Chandler, TE Derek Rackley, RB Rodney Thomas.
Baltimore — DE Rob Burnett, LB Brad Jackson, WR Jermaine Lewis, LB Jamie Sharper, OG Kip Vickers.
Buffalo — WR-KR Avion Black, OT John Fina, DB Raion Hill, DB Ken Irvin, QB Rob Johnson.
Carolina — RB Tshimanga Biakabutuka, CB Doug Evans, DT Sean Gilbert, DB Jimmy Hitchcock, LB Dean Wells.
Chicago — RB Autry Denson, OG Kevin Dogins, DB Than Merrill (recalled), DT Robert Newkirk, QB Danny Wuerffel.
Cincinnati — OT John Jackson, LB Riall Johnson, DE Jevon Langford, TE Tony McGee, OT Jamain Stephens.
Cleveland — LB Brant Boyer (recalled), DB Lamar Chapman, CB Corey Fuller, OG Jeremy McKinney, OT Roman Oben.
Dallas — OG Ben Fricke (recalled), TE Johnny Huggins, TE Mike Solwold, C Mark Stepnoski, S George Teague.
Denver — DT Jerry Johnson, WR Phil McGeoghan, DE Kavika Pittman, LB Bill Romanowski, RB Detron Smith.
Detroit — TE Brad Banta, QB Charlie Batch, RB Reuben Droughns, S Kurt Schultz, RB James Stewart.
Green Bay — C Rob Davis, DT Santana Dotson, LB Bernardo Harris, DE John Thierry, LB K.D. Williams.
Indianapolis — CB Jeff Burris, DB Chad Cota, TE Ken Dilger, DT Ellis Johnson, DT Mike Wells.
Jacksonville — OT Tony Boselli, WR Keenan McCardell, DT Seth Payne, DT Gary Walker, OG Zach Wiegert.
Kansas City — DB Taje Allen, WR Derrick Alexander, DT Nate Hobgood-Chittick, WR Larry Parker, DB Bracy Walker.
Miami — DT Tim Bowens, OG Heath Irwin, TE Hunter Goodwin, LB Scott Galyon, RB James Johnson.
Minnesota — OT Brad Badger, LB Ed McDaniel, DB Robert Tate, DB Orlando Thomas, WR Troy Walters.
New England — WR Charles Johnson, LB Ted Johnson, LB Willie McGinest, CB Terrance Shaw, S Matt Stevens.
New Orleans — OG Tom Ackerman, QB Jeff Blake, S Richard Newsome, LB Darrin Smith, OG Wally Williams.
New York Giants — LB Jessie Armstead, DB Sam Garnes, DE Kenny Holmes, OG Glenn Parker, DB Dave Thomas.
New York Jets — DT Shane Burton, CB Marcus Coleman, CB Aaron Glenn, DB Chris Hayes, OT Ryan Young.
Oakland — LB Elijah Alexander, RB Terry Kirby, WR Marcus Knight, DB Marquez Pope, DT Josh Taves.
Philadelphia — CB Darrel Crutchfield, CB William Hampton (recalled), OT Ryan Schau, WR Gari Scott, TE Jeff Thomason.
Pittsburgh — WR Troy Edwards, FB Jon Witman, C Mike Schneck, OL Roger Duffy, WR Will Blackwell.
St. Louis — LB Brian Allen, LB Mark Fields, CB Jacoby Shepherd, OT Ryan Tucker, RB Justin Watson.
San Diego — QB Dave Dickenson, LB Deon Humphrey, TE Freddie Jones, RB Fred McCrary, DB Jason Perry.
San Francisco — TE Greg Clark, S John Keith, C Ben Lynch, DT Reggie McGrew, DB Anthony Parker.
Seattle — WR Fabien Bownes, C J.P. Darche (recalled), DB Paul Miranda, RB-PR Charlie Rogers, DE Michael Sinclair.
Tampa Bay — LB Jeff Gooch, DE Marcus Jones (recalled), OG Randall McDaniel, TE Sean McDermott, DB Eric Vance.
Tennessee — DB Michael Booker, DB DeRon Jenkins, OG Bruce Matthews, WR Chris Sanders, DE Juqua Thomas.
Washington — C Ethan Albright, RB Michael Bates, OG Matt Campbell, DT Jerry DeLoach (recalled), WR Kevin Lockett.

IIRC correctly, they didn't want any players over the age of 30. I would have loved to steal Mathews away from Tennessee.