PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Stadium

HoustonFrog
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
That is what Jerry decided to name it today. I'm assuming something simple and honorable like Tom Landry Field was too easy and right and good that they had to skip it. Actually, I'm assuming that they didn't do it because it will make room for Pepsi (or other Sponsor) Cowboy Stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4164418&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The new $1.1 billion Dallas Cowboys stadium doesn't have an announced sponsor yet -- but now it has a name.

Team owner Jerry Jones announced Wednesday that the venue in Arlington will be called Cowboys Stadium.
Country star George Strait will headline the opening event at Cowboys Stadium. The June 6 concert will also feature Reba McEntire, Blake Shelton and Julianne Hough from "Dancing With the Stars."

The Cowboys on Aug. 21 will host the Tennessee Titans in their first preseason game at the new venue, which replaces Texas Stadium in Irving.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM
How quaint...:thinking:

Texan_Bill
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
And original, too.

Texecutioner
05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
They really should have built the Cowboys stadium in Huntsville.

HoustonFrog
05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
They really should have built the Cowboys stadium in Huntsville.

:rolleyes:

HOU-TEX
05-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Naming it "Cowboys Brown Eye" would been more fitting.

Texecutioner
05-13-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm actually surprised that Jerry didn't name it soley after himself calling it Jerry Jones stadium. :photos:

HOU-TEX
05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
How about "Allergan Inc Stadium"

Texan_Bill
05-13-2009, 05:39 PM

:spit:

errrrrrr, ummmmmmm, that's not very nice!

drewmar74
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Cowboys%20new%20stadium.jpg

I think HoustonFrog was on the right track. The probably have some corporate sponsors chomping at the bit to have naming rights like:

Charmin Cowboys Stadium

Tidy Bowl Cowboys Stadium

10,000 Flushes Cowboys Stadium

etc etc ad nauseum

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm actually surprised that Jerry didn't name it soley after himself calling it Jerry Jones stadium. :photos:

Then he could have gotten Ben and Jerry to sponsor. A name that just rolls off the tongue.............Ben and Jerry Jones Stadium.:texflag:

stingray
05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I heard on the radio that he was asking too much for the naming rights and nobody wanted to pony up that kinda money with the current economy.

WWJD
05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
That is what Jerry decided to name it today. I'm assuming something simple and honorable like Tom Landry Field was too easy and right and good that they had to skip it. Actually, I'm assuming that they didn't do it because it will make room for Pepsi (or other Sponsor) Cowboy Stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4164418&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

I'm just guessing here but I would think when some corporate sponsor comes along and the name changes that going from TOM LANDRY STADIUM would have created ill will...how dare they take Landry's name off it....that kind of thing...

So name it something simple..in a year or whatever when it changes nobody will care.

Texaninlild
05-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Well you folks don't have to pass Tidy Bowl every time you go to work, I do. It is freakin huge. The infrastructure around the stadium is in no way ready for the regular season, much less a Super Bowl. Can someone photoshop the hardware store moment from the first Jackass movie? Maybe put Jerry sitting on the Porto Cowboy Stadium would be classic.

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Botox Field wasn't available?

Joe Texan
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Cowpie stadium it will be then, Carry on

Thorn
05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Looked at some of the pics of the stadium on the Cowbows site, it's a beautiful stadium. Still hate the Cowpies though, but they have a nice place for us to whop their butts in when we go there. :)

gwallaia
05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
That's one cool looking stadium.

WesmanTexanfan
05-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Id have called it the D-bag Dome!! :whip:

It works in 2 ways...

StarStruck
05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm just guessing here but I would think when some corporate sponsor comes along and the name changes that going from TOM LANDRY STADIUM would have created ill will...how dare they take Landry's name off it....that kind of thing...

So name it something simple..in a year or whatever when it changes nobody will care.

Those were my thoughts as well. After it took as long as it did to announce a corporate name, I thought that something as simple as Cowboys Stadium would be pretty cool and to the point. Landry Stadium would IMO certainly slam the door on any type of name change once a sponsor decided to pony up. However, if we were to get into naming stadiums after noteworthy individuals, then perhaps Reliant Stadium could have been named Bum Phillips Stadium. Wow, imagine how that could have made Bud Adams feel upon entering the stadium.

HoustonFrog
05-13-2009, 10:54 PM

That is what I was saying in the original post. I'd read in the Cowboy blog at DMN that they were still looking at sponsorships. I still think Tom Landry Field would be cool. The place is going to be awesome!

mexican_texan
05-14-2009, 12:18 AM
JJ fired Landry. Might not go over well.

Mari-OWNED!
05-14-2009, 01:49 AM
How about naming it... "Hopefully this one will not collapse" Stadium?

Too soon?

bigfan77801
05-14-2009, 02:52 AM

Too soon?

just a bit

HoustonFrog
05-14-2009, 09:30 AM
JJ fired Landry. Might not go over well.

Actually it would go over very well and bridge the gap and maybe heal some wounds from those that didn't like it. People get fired. It was time to go but JJ handled it poorly. Just give the legend his due. T

Though I have seen people say you can have your sponsorship on the stadium and still name the field itself after Landry like colleges do in some cases

Here are some bits on what has been said so far

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/05/more-on-cowboys-stadium.html

Owner and GM Jerry Jones sounded like he was confident it would happen just not that soon because of the downturn in the economy over the last year.

"The amount is almost incidental to the timing," Jones said. "There can be better timing and the reason we're not deeply concerned about it is because the naming rights is a long term deal just as the building of a stadium is."

William A. Sutton, a business professor at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, told our Metro reporter JEff Mosier that temporarily giving up on a naming rights deal was the right move.

"Jones holding the line and using Cowboys Stadium as a placeholder is an excellent strategy," he said. "Why sell it now for something that's probably undervalued? Let's wait until the market shakes out, and see what the actual value of naming rights is going to be in 2010 ... There's a lot of merit in not doing anything."

The Cowboys had mild internal debates about what to name the structure but almost always came back to Cowboys Stadium.

"If we weren't going to have a naming rights partner, then it should be Cowboys' Stadium," executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

WWJD
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Too soon?

Yea. It's always gonna be "too soon" to joke about an incident in which people got severe injuries.

But that's just me.

HoustonFrog
05-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Yea. It's always gonna be "too soon" to joke about an incident in which people got severe injuries.

But that's just me.

Paralyzing injuries is always a laugh-riot. :rolleyes:

SheTexan
05-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Kinda funny to me that the first game in their new stadium is against the Titans. Claimed the Texans didn't fit into their schedule because of parking, or some such BS, BUT, they have time for one of our division opponents, which just happens to be an EX Houston team and owned by an AH from hell!! Hummmmm!! My guess is that Bud and Jer use the same proctologist!! They're both full of sh*t and have hemorrhoids for tonsils.

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I doubt that anyone can argue with the "beauty" of the new stadium. But time only will tell if this is a financial bonanza or bust. The more expensive the stadium, the more expensive the naming rights. This is certainly a major reason the rights are not already grabbed up. With so many billion dollar companies being propped up by the government, and many more fearful of a similar fate, there are less and less players..............although, the government has not yet placed restrictions on subsidized companies using these particular advertising monies. This, of course, could change tomorrow. Even if these companies are not formally restricted from this activity in the future, you can be assured as a fan, or for that matter, as a taxpayer, that you will have "contributed" generously to team owners' wallets.....................and you don't even have a seat named after you.

Here's a Forbes article that reviews this very situation:
Stadium Deals: The TARP Teams (http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/13/tarp-naming-rights-business-sportsmoney-tarp-teams.html)

HoustonFrog
05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Kinda funny to me that the first game in their new stadium is against the Titans. Claimed the Texans didn't fit into their schedule because of parking, or some such BS, BUT, they have time for one of our division opponents, which just happens to be an EX Houston team and owned by an AH from hell!! Hummmmm!! My guess is that Bud and Jer use the same proctologist!! They're both full of sh*t and have hemorrhoids for tonsils.

Actually the reason for the non-Texans game was pretty legit with the Rangers playing, etc, etc. They can only play when allowed.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/cowboys-texans-not-playing-in-the-presea.html

The Cowboys will not play at Houston in the preseason because of a scheduling conflict that requires the Cowboys to play their second and third exhibition games in Arlington
with the Rangers out of town.

The teams were supposed to play in Week 3 at Houston this year. This will be the third time since the Texans' inception in 2001 the teams will not meet in the preseason. The series will resume next year, according to Texans owner Bob McNair.

Señor Stan
05-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Here's a Forbes article that reviews this very situation:
Stadium Deals: The TARP Teams (http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/13/tarp-naming-rights-business-sportsmoney-tarp-teams.html)

How is that that Jacksonville didn't get TARP funds...oh...wrong kind of Tarp.

WWJD
05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
How is that that Jacksonville didn't get TARP funds...oh...wrong kind of Tarp.

That's funny!

spurstexanstros
05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Cowboys Stadium are you kidding me ????? I guess the Ball Park at Arlington was taken so Jerry had to think outside the box on that one. The generic city of Dallas just keeps on giving to us...the generic Rangers.....generic silicone infused women who all look alike....cmon I guess being generic is part in parsel to living in Dallas. Jerrah show some originality.
I have thought of some more original names for that dump.

Texas Stadium: The sequal
Texas Stadium : Landry's Revenge
Texas Stadium 2: The meltdown (oops thats Romo's nickname)
T2: God's new toilet
The Bailout : because when the cowboys start sucking it up next year that is what Jerry is gonna need.
T2:The Texas Stadium that doesnt smell like a rest stop after a hot day in Texas.

Texan_Bill
05-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Live Construction Cam (http://www.eplanit.com/live-construction-camera2.aspx)

HOU-TEX
05-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Live Construction Cam (http://www.eplanit.com/live-construction-camera2.aspx)

Rick roll??

Texan_Bill
05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Rick roll??

Nope, it's real.

I tried to pee on it but then I realized I was just peeing on my monitor! :gun:

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Nope, it's real.

I tried to pee on it but then I realized I was just peeing on my monitor! :gun:

:spit:

Dread-Head
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Cowboys%20new%20stadium.jpg

I think HoustonFrog was on the right track. The probably have some corporate sponsors chomping at the bit to have naming rights like:

Charmin Cowboys Stadium

Tidy Bowl Cowboys Stadium

10,000 Flushes Cowboys Stadium

etc etc ad nauseum

It looks like a big plastic camping toilet.

mexican_texan
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
It looks like the male seed.

Hardcore Texan
05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
It's the mother ship, built to take Jerry home.

awtysst
05-14-2009, 04:26 PM
It looks like the male seed.

Spermatium Field?

StarStruck
05-14-2009, 05:01 PM

It would appear that given the Texans long standing hate for Jerry and the Cowboys, never would be the best option for any game scheduling between the two. Of course that wouldn't work, but every four or so years could be a nice compromise.:brando:

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Open Your Wallet Stadium:mcnugget:

HOU-TEX
05-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Castle Grayskull?

Texecutioner
05-15-2009, 11:57 AM
It would appear that given the Texans long standing hate for Jerry and the Cowboys, never would be the best option for any game scheduling between the two. Of course that wouldn't work, but every four or so years could be a nice compromise.:brando:

It's not our fault that the Cowboys are afraid to play the Texans.

Wolf
05-26-2009, 03:28 AM
ARLINGTON, Texas – Huge images of Tony Romo dodging tacklers and tossing passes flashed across what the Cowboys are calling the biggest HDTV in the world.

Owner Jerry Jones wants Cowboys fans to know that the most audacious gadget in a new $1.1 billion stadium sure to be full of them might even cause a little confusion. Was it live, or was it on TV? It'll be both, because fans will see the same live action on the screen that's taking place on the field.

"I dare say ... you're not going to know or remember whether you saw it happening directly on the field or whether in your mind's eye, the perception of it, you saw it on this digital board," Jones said during Thursday's unveiling of the $40 million, 600-ton behemoth that hangs above the center of the field.

The Mitsubishi board is 160 feet long — more than half a football field — and 72 feet high. It would take nearly 5,000 52-inch flat panel TVs to equal the more than 23,000 square feet of video displays facing each sideline. Two screens that are 29 feet by 51 feet are attached to each end.

The first center-hung video digital board in football history — as Jones is calling it — will have 30 million light bulbs

"The innovative technology will give every fan a unique not only view, but perspective, of the game," Jones said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_cowboys_giant_tv

:tv:

Showtime100
05-26-2009, 06:15 AM
mmmmm...k

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Team fans should get an excellent view of each of their Girls' losses.

Vinnie
05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Castle Grayskull?

You're thinking of Snake Mountain.

GP
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Team fans should get an excellent view of each of their Girls' losses.

That is bizarre. Why not just stay home and watch the game on TV?

I used to go to a BIG church, and it had a huge projection screen that showed a live video/audio of the whoever was preaching on stage--I stopped looking at the actual person preaching, and watched the huge screen the whole time.

I have no doubt that the majority of fans will do the same thing by NOT watching the on-field action itself...and instead they'll be gazing at the HD screens to watch the game. Which makes it an interesting concept since a fan who attends a game to see it on the field will be, in essence, watching it on a big TV.

I smell lots of little marketing/advertising opportunities that will be used on those big HD screens. Sort of like when you watch a show on TNT and they do the little pop-up ads for other TV shows at the bottom corner.

StarStruck
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
That is bizarre. Why not just stay home and watch the game on TV?

I used to go to a BIG church, and it had a huge projection screen that showed a live video/audio of the whoever was preaching on stage--I stopped looking at the actual person preaching, and watched the huge screen the whole time.

I have no doubt that the majority of fans will do the same thing by NOT watching the on-field action itself...and instead they'll be gazing at the HD screens to watch the game. Which makes it an interesting concept since a fan who attends a game to see it on the field will be, in essence, watching it on a big TV.

I smell lots of little marketing/advertising opportunities that will be used on those big HD screens. Sort of like when you watch a show on TNT and they do the little pop-up ads for other TV shows at the bottom corner.

I have gone to churches and stadiums that also have projection screens. Even so, I still prefer being their than viewing from home. There's just something about being in the presence of people that makes the experience more exciting.

HoustonFrog
05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6444504.html

“This building could have been built for two-thirds of the cost, but it was about expectations,” Jones said. “And I expect every player who ever walks on this field to play above their level.”

The stadium drew rave reviews from former players, including Drew Pearson, a star receiver in the 1970s.

“Man, if these guys got any sense, it would inspire them, motivate them to be better players, to give more, to try to do everything they can to stay a Dallas Cowboy throughout their career,” Pearson said. “Hopefully, that translates into victories.”

Pearson said Cowboys Stadium, site of the 2011 Super Bowl, will be the envy of the league.

“All you have to do is look at Terrell Owens,” said Pearson, referring to the former Dallas receiver released in March after a season in which he was at the center of locker- room drama. “You think he’d rather be here or in Buffalo?”

Pearson was impressed with the proximity of the seats to the field, one of several design elements that mirrors Texas Stadium.

“A lot of these new stadiums, they build them so big and wide they loose a lot of the closeness, a lot of the crowd noise, the ambience, the environment that makes it special to play in,” Pearson said. “They didn’t lose that here. The field-level suites are right there.”

HOU-TEX
05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6444504.html

“A lot of these new stadiums, they build them so big and wide they loose a lot of the closeness, a lot of the crowd noise, the ambience, the environment that makes it special to play in,” Pearson said. “They didn’t lose that here. The field-level suites are right there.”

Good gravy! A freakin journalist/reporter can't even use the word "lose" correctly. :gun:

Silver Oak
05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
“This building could have been built for two-thirds of the cost, but it was about expectations,” Jones said. “And I expect every player who ever walks on this field to play above their level.”

I would already expect my players to be performing for their paycheck. Kind of a reach to say the stadium would make them play above their pre-stadium efforts, but whatever...it's Jerry's baby.

WWJD
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Good gravy! A freakin journalist/reporter can't even use the word "lose" correctly. :gun:

Poor proofreading. It's spelled correctly later on.

whiskeyrbl
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM

And what happens if that thing falls during a game? Alot of bad things(accidents) have been happening around that stadium during it's construction.

Specnatz
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Can someone please tell me which new stadium is built so the fans are farther apart and out and it is designed to lose crowd noise?

Oh and by the way. News Flash for ya Drew, TO is not a member of the Cowboys because of his play on the field it is because he was a cancer in the locker room. Team Obliterator as he is more affectionately called by the 49ers, the Eagles, and now your Dallas cowgirls.

I guess hoping a stadiums helps winning playoff games is a last resort because so far nothing else has.

Jackie Chiles
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I know its probably just an error in perception but I swear that huge HDTV looks like it is prime to be hit by some punts. Check out photo number 8.

http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery?chronicleId=09000d5d81088aca

HoustonFrog
05-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Can someone please tell me which new stadium is built so the fans are farther apart and out and it is designed to lose crowd noise?

Oh and by the way. News Flash for ya Drew, TO is not a member of the Cowboys because of his play on the field it is because he was a cancer in the locker room. Team Obliterator as he is more affectionately called by the 49ers, the Eagles, and now your Dallas cowgirls.

I guess hoping a stadiums helps winning playoff games is a last resort because so far nothing else has.

I don't think he is saying they are built that way on purpose, he is just saying that many places...in multiple sports...lose the feel and closeness they had in another place..look at Yankee Stadium. I agree with him. Also, he knows why TO left. His point was that whatever way he left, it was on him and he should have kept his trap shut to play for someone like the Cowboys instead of the Bills. Drew is one of the smarter people out there if you ever hear him post-game and all.

HoustonFrog
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Heard the George Strait concert went off really well and it was awesome at the new stadium. Jimmy J was Jerry's special guest in his suite. Some enemies:)

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Heard the George Strait concert went off really well and it was awesome at the new stadium. Jimmy J was Jerry's special guest in his suite. Some enemies:)

maybe an olive branch between old foes? the smartest thing jerry could do right now is to bring back Jimmy Johnson at any cost...including final say in player evaluation. Wade Phillips is a dead man walking as Cowboys HC, so why not reunite ala Steinbrenner and Billy Martin in the 70s and 80s.

Jimmy would put together a helluva coaching staff and he still has a great eye for talent.

Carr Bombed
06-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I know its probably just an error in perception but I swear that huge HDTV looks like it is prime to be hit by some punts. Check out photo number 8.

http://www.nfl.com/photo/photo-gallery?chronicleId=09000d5d81088aca

Check it out though......

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=66566C50-A17A-A7D4-DFE94E6B5CD8AD42

I don't like the Cowboys, but I have to admit.....that 60 yard wide HDTV is badass. I want one. :texflag:

WWJD
06-07-2009, 02:45 PM

And George Strait for us ladies bigger than life and in HD! That'll work!

StarStruck
06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
maybe an olive branch between old foes? the smartest thing jerry could do right now is to bring back Jimmy Johnson at any cost...including final say in player evaluation. Wade Phillips is a dead man walking as Cowboys HC, so why not reunite ala Steinbrenner and Billy Martin in the 70s and 80s.

Jimmy would put together a helluva coaching staff and he still has a great eye for talent.

I'm not as optimistic that Jimmy could return after 15 years and pick up where he left off. Some of the key players that he coached effectively back then would be on permanent ban today. I wouldn't doubt that many of the tactics that coaches used by then would be effective today on the athletes of today. Imagine Jimmy trying to coach someone as fragile as DeAngelo Hall.

StarStruck
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
And George Strait for us ladies bigger than life and in HD! That'll work!

High Five!!! Leave the binoculars at home.

WWJD
06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
High Five!!! Leave the binoculars at home.

George sure is one good looking guy!

I didn't know this but I read today where his records sales are only behind the Beatles and Elvis...I had no idea he had sold that many!

4Texans
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM

I think the olive branch was extended years ago. They did an interview on one of the NFL pregame shows that was pretty candid about their break-up and seemed to have everything ironed out. I'm sure both of them wish they could have worked together longer, especially Jerry. They would have had at least 4 SB's in a row.

I read an interview over the weekend about Jimmie. It's been 10 years since Jimmy coached, and he has no desire to ever step back in and coach.

WWJD
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I think the olive branch was extended years ago. They did an interview on one of the NFL pregame shows that was pretty candid about their break-up and seemed to have everything ironed out. I'm sure both of them wish they could have worked together longer, especially Jerry. They would have had at least 4 SB's in a row.

I read an interview over the weekend about Jimmie. It's been 10 years since Jimmy coached, and he has no desire to ever step back in and coach.

Yea..they've been friendly for awhile now. They've been friends for decades..

Jimmy has been saying for a long time now he doesn't want to coach anymore. He's got it made doing what he's doing now and he can enjoy his life without all the hassles and pressure. I sure don't blame him.

HoustonFrog
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Yea..they've been friendly for awhile now. They've been friends for decades..

Jimmy has been saying for a long time now he doesn't want to coach anymore. He's got it made doing what he's doing now and he can enjoy his life without all the hassles and pressure. I sure don't blame him.

Here you go...fans still love em

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rnj7sm.jpg

Cool sideshow of the stadium.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/06/take-a-look-at-the-fantastic-images-from.html

http://i39.tinypic.com/wlu6pi.jpg

Texecutioner
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I wonder how many fans are really going to enjoy paying $8 bucks per hot dog and $5.00 for a bottle of water and $2.00 for a straw to sip it through in order so the stadium can get paid for?

HoustonFrog
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I wonder how many fans are really going to enjoy paying $8 bucks per hot dog and $5.00 for a bottle of water and $2.00 for a straw to sip it through in order so the stadium can get paid for?

They do every other stadium. I've never seen cheap food or drink at a stadium except Dell Diamond for minor league baseball.

Texecutioner
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
They do every other stadium. I've never seen cheap food or drink at a stadium except Dell Diamond for minor league baseball.

Well everyone knows that, but the food here will most likely be a lot more because of the huge budget that it cost to have a stadium like this. That big screen and all of the other bells and whistles are going to have to get paid for somehow and it's going to be out of the fan's pockets. I don't think every fan needed or wanted a stadium of that degree if it was going to cost them that much to go to a game and make a few purchases while being there.

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Fans were already very thrilled about the $30 old stadium parking fee..........I'm sure they're all pooping their pants with joy over the new $40 on-grounds parking charge. My guess is they'll be gleefully greeting those poor dehydrated souls walking from off grounds parking with their 5$ water and $7 dollar beers at the gates like vultures..........though I doubt any $13 peanut butter sandwiches will be hot sellers at the gates.:shades:

WWJD
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Here you go...fans still love em

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rnj7sm.jpg

Cool sideshow of the stadium.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/06/take-a-look-at-the-fantastic-images-from.html

http://i39.tinypic.com/wlu6pi.jpg

Jimmy looks good. I heard Jerry's suite was the size of an apt.

HoustonFrog
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Well everyone knows that, but the food here will most likely be a lot more because of the huge budget that it cost to have a stadium like this. That big screen and all of the other bells and whistles are going to have to get paid for somehow and it's going to be out of the fan's pockets. I don't think every fan needed or wanted a stadium of that degree if it was going to cost them that much to go to a game and make a few purchases while being there.

Come on Tex, that is just a weak ass argument against this stadium. The problem with every stadium is that they gouge you with beer and food and other things.(I don't like it, I just realize it is part of business) Fans are used to it. If they want to enjoy an experience at what many are saying will be the best stadium out there, then they already have spent their money on tickets. All in all, from what we are reading, he didn't jack up anything except some new items probably..I'd expect food that is specialty or from ths smoker or kitchen to be more... and your point was pure speculation and hyperbole..what is new?......and as for the why he would build something like this...probably because he likes quality and to attract more than just football events.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060209dnspolegends_hp.3d1615c7.html

Few new companies get big as fast as Legends Hospitality Management, which makes its Texas debut Saturday at the George Strait concert at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

Even in this recession, the food and merchandise venture involving the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Yankees should exceed $100 million in revenue in its first year of operation. And $150 million is not out of reach, says chief executive officer Mike Rawlings, a Dallas resident and former president of Pizza Hut.

At Cowboys Stadium, Rawlings promises more variety – including Tex-Mex and Texas barbecue – compared with Texas Stadium. He also promises quicker service, fresher food and "the best margaritas" you can get anywhere.

Food prices won't be announced until the day of the concert. Many prices will be the same as at Texas Stadium, Rawlings said. And there will be many new items.

WWJD
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Come on Tex, that is just a weak ass argument against this stadium. The problem with every stadium is that they gouge you with beer and food and other things.(I don't like it, I just realize it is part of business) Fans are used to it. If they want to enjoy an experience at what many are saying will be the best stadium out there, then they already have spent their money on tickets. All in all, from what we are reading, he didn't jack up anything except some new items probably..I'd expect food that is specialty or from ths smoker or kitchen to be more... and your point was pure speculation and hyperbole..what is new?......and as for the why he would build something like this...probably because he likes quality and to attract more than just football events.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060209dnspolegends_hp.3d1615c7.html

You would know this from reading the DMN but I read the other day that the stadium will bring the team an extra $90 million this year alone.

ArlingtonTexan
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM

I enjoy that more than paying an extra sales tax on darn everything I buy whether I ever step into that stadium or not. At least, if I am there I have made the choice to overpay for that beer or hot dog as a part of the entertainment value for the game or concert that I am attending.

Texecutioner
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Call it what you want, but I suspect that there will be some fans that aren't to happy about some really high costs when the cost of going to a game and for the items has already been high enough for years. It shouldn't get any higher than what it is. Jerry wanted to try and out do everyone and have the Cowboys stadium as the center of attention. Well, he got it and the fans will be the ones financing it with their $12.00 dollar bears and $5.00 water bottles. :headhurts:

HoustonFrog
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Call it what you want, but I suspect that there will be some fans that aren't to happy about some really high costs when the cost of going to a game and for the items has already been high enough for years. It shouldn't get any higher than what it is. Jerry wanted to try and out do everyone and have the Cowboys stadium as the center of attention. Well, he got it and the fans will be the ones financing it with their $12.00 dollar bears and $5.00 water bottles. :headhurts:

Yeah, he did an incredible job of building a great stadium that can be used for differing venues over the years. I fault the guy for alot but trying to build one a stadium of incredible quality isn;t one of them. And from what I remember many here complain about the prices and quality of food at Reliant. That is why many here are such huge fans of a tailgating. Most fans I know tailgate to get their food and beer. Not many are going in to buy all their product from the stadium. People buy tickets knowing that concessions are going to be costly. I personally wouldn't go to the game to get a specialty item and would tailgate.

Texecutioner
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, he did an incredible job of building a great stadium that can be used for differing venues over the years. I fault the guy for alot but trying to build one a stadium of incredible quality isn;t one of them. And from what I remember many here complain about the prices and quality of food at Reliant. That is why many here are such huge fans of a tailgating. Most fans I know tailgate to get their food and beer. Not many are going in to buy all their product from the stadium. People buy tickets knowing that concessions are going to be costly. I personally wouldn't go to the game to get a specialty item and would tailgate.

Yes, I tailgate every game, but you're obviously trying to chase your tail here in this discussion by bringing up tailgating. Why would I even mention higher costs if I were referring to tailgating? You tailgate before the game and after. I'm not referring to people who don't buy a ticket and stay in the parking lot. Surely you understood that. An NFL football game is 4 quarters long and typically 3 hours, so there is a lot of consessions that people need to buy throughout a game. Beer, water, food perhaps, and etc.

And who cares what Reliant does? What does that have to do with this? Yes, they have high prices and a lot of stuff is a rip off which is why I stay away from those items for the most part. But this new stadium which will be much higher because of the cost to build it and they'll have get all of that money back somehow.

WWJD
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM

The people that go to NFL games are the ones that really want to be there..they realize tickets are high, concessions are high, programs are high.

Be nice to your brother ALWAYS..maybe he can get you into Jerry's apt there!

:)

StarStruck
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM

I don't know yet if work schedule will allow me to go to the preseason opener, but as soon as I return from my first game, I will provide a breakdown of costs.

I recall that every football fan in Houston wanted Reliant Stadium to be built. Folk can always come up with a justified reason to be against something.

I enjoy that more than paying an extra sales tax on darn everything I buy whether I ever step into that stadium or not. At least, if I am there I have made the choice to overpay for that beer or hot dog as a part of the entertainment value for the game or concert that I am attending.

That's something that some will accept over time whereas others won't. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but one of Jerry's proposals for the stadium being built in Dallas was to raise hotel and rental costs and Mary Kay Corp. for one vowed to move out of Dallas if it passed. Those are two increases that Houston accepted in an effort to get a new team and stadium. I rent cars for the most part when I make out-of-town trips, and it really hasn't had an impact on rentals over driving my own.

ArlingtonTexan
06-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't know yet if work schedule will allow me to go to the preseason opener, but as soon as I return from my first game, I will provide a breakdown of costs.

I recall that every football fan in Houston wanted Reliant Stadium to be built. Folk can always come up with a justified reason to be against something.

That's something that some will accept over time whereas others won't. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but one of Jerry's proposals for the stadium being built in Dallas was to raise hotel and rental costs and Mary Kay Corp. for one vowed to move out of Dallas if it passed. Those are two increases that Houston accepted in an effort to get a new team and stadium. I rent cars for the most part when I make out-of-town trips, and it really hasn't had an impact on rentals over driving my own.

I don't recall what the Dallas proposals were, and honestly never got close to a vote. Since the stadium is in Arlington the voters here had little problem saying okay to paying an extra half cent on every dollar they spend.

http://www.cowboycards.com/Articles/newstadium.asp
By a 54 to 46 percent vote, Arlington taxpayers voted "Yes" for a .5 percent sales and property tax that will allow the city to fund $325 million, with the Cowboys investing the other half. The plan also calls for the Cowboys to pay the city $2 million in yearly rent, starting in 2009 when the stadium is projected to be completed, along with a five-percent fee for any naming rights sold for the new stadium, which has been estimated to be as much as $500,000 a year.

Edit: I voted against the stadium, but have no problem paying for events, parking, concessions at my choice. Already have U2 tickets and plans to attend at least on college game Bayor/Tech and will be there when Texans play the Cowboys here again.

HoustonFrog
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
The people that go to NFL games are the ones that really want to be there..they realize tickets are high, concessions are high, programs are high.

Be nice to your brother ALWAYS..maybe he can get you into Jerry's apt there!

:)

He gets two free tickets per game and you get to go into the ground suites, etc at half and all. At least that is what it was at the old stadium.

Yes, I tailgate every game, but you're obviously trying to chase your tail here in this discussion by bringing up tailgating. Why would I even mention higher costs if I were referring to tailgating? You tailgate before the game and after. I'm not referring to people who don't buy a ticket and stay in the parking lot. Surely you understood that. An NFL football game is 4 quarters long and typically 3 hours, so there is a lot of consessions that people need to buy throughout a game. Beer, water, food perhaps, and etc.

And who cares what Reliant does? What does that have to do with this? Yes, they have high prices and a lot of stuff is a rip off which is why I stay away from those items for the most part. But this new stadium which will be much higher because of the cost to build it and they'll have get all of that money back somehow.

Speaking of chaing your tail. Tailgating is a huge part of it. You know that ALOT of people tailgate, go into the game, come out at half and then go back out. Some stay out, some go to their seats. It is a big difference because that is the NFL experience to many, many people. So when they buy a ticket they aren't worried about a few beers and a hit dog inside. They usually aren't the ones buying the blue cheese burger from the special grill. So overall that is how people deal with the price of concessions...your main point. $2 extra here and there...if at all, as the article said... isn't going to stop people from coming to a game when they already have made the decision to pay for tickets. It's no difference than any other ways to finance stadiums.

The reason Reliant was mentioned is because you were making a point of JJ holding people hostage to pay for his work through concessions. All I was saying was you have a beautiful stadium here and concessions are expensive and not that great and people still go. Doesn't mean McNair was trying to get over for trying to be first class.

WWJD
06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
He gets two free tickets per game and you get to go into the ground suites, etc at half and all. At least that is what it was at the old stadium.

So you really do need to be nice! Jerry's suite is on the ground floor I think...you know wash his car when you see him...go get him his favorite takeout..just be really nice!

Hope he's nice back and invites you. I am sure he's a great guy.

HoustonFrog
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
So you really do need to be nice! Jerry's suite is on the ground floor I think...you know wash his car when you see him...go get him his favorite takeout..just be really nice!

Hope he's nice back and invites you. I am sure he's a great guy.

Thought you'd like this quote WWJD..story about new stadium bittersweet for Jones because of collapse of bubble

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippintuesday062309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ARLINGTON, Texas – Jerry Jones had the best seat in the house – not surprising, given that he spent $1.1 billion to build the joint, effectively securing the mother of all personal seat licenses – as he peered out at the shiny, spectacular stadium that will soon house the NFL’s most polarizing team

The owner of the Dallas Cowboys couldn’t be prouder of his brand-spanking-new facility, and with good reason. Don’t buy into the hype that Cowboys Stadium is the most impressive place where football will be played in America, for that doesn’t come close to doing it justice.

It is, quite simply, the finest athletic venue in the world, the new millennium’s answer to the Roman Colosseum.

StarStruck
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Thought you'd like this quote WWJD..story about new stadium bittersweet for Jones because of collapse of bubble

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippintuesday062309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Wow! I am already trying to figure out how to work long enough to not get a day off counted against me to go to the first pre-season game. Why Friday! I feel though since the Strait concert has already occurred, I won't be the first to sit in my seat.

HOU-TEX
06-24-2009, 10:15 AM

given that he spent $1.1 billion to build the joint

Did HE actually spend the total 1.1 billion? Nope.

WWJD
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks Frog..I know Jerry can have a huge party in his suite! Just got finished reading a story about Troy Aikman's new house in Dallas..valued at $14 million!

guess Troy invested well huh?

I know Jerry didn't pitch pennies for the new stadium. The money part of it is staggering.

CloakNNNdagger
06-24-2009, 11:30 AM
fyi:

jerry jones, dallas cowboys owe less than $425 million on new stadium (http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/060409dnspojerrydebt.4461988.html)

as the new cowboys stadium prepares to open, the team and owner jerry jones owe less than $425 million on the facility, according to an analysis by the dallas morning news.

Final cost for the stadium will be about $1.15 billion, jones said during a brief interview at a recent team workout.

Arlington has contributed $325 million to the project and tarrant county $25 million.

Of the team's $800 million portion of the cost, here's the debt that remains:

• about $76 million to the nfl, which will be paid back through the visiting teams' share of club seat revenue.

• about $148 million in arlington bonds, paid back through ticket and parking taxes.

• "no more than $200 million," jones said, of a potential $400 million-plus debt package that was arranged to complete the stadium.

Total debt: About $424 million.

That means jones has paid about $376 million of the stadium's cost during construction through ongoing cash flow and other sources.

"i put more of my money in," he said.

HoustonFrog
06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow! I am already trying to figure out how to work long enough to not get a day off counted against me to go to the first pre-season game. Why Friday! I feel though since the Strait concert has already occurred, I won't be the first to sit in my seat.

Thanks Frog..I know Jerry can have a huge party in his suite! Just got finished reading a story about Troy Aikman's new house in Dallas..valued at $14 million!

guess Troy invested well huh?

I know Jerry didn't pitch pennies for the new stadium. The money part of it is staggering.

This part cracks me up...so Jerry..from the same article

The stadium is even resplendent on the outside: A frit treatment was applied to the rectangular glass panels to create a reflective sheen that changes with the weather.

“When it’s cloudy outside, it looks silver,” Jones explained. “When it’s clear, the sky is reflected, and you see a royal blue. Those are our team colors. You couldn’t do that for the Green Bay Packers.”

Texan_Bill
06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
“When it’s cloudy outside, it looks silver,” Jones explained. “When it’s clear, the sky is reflected, and you see a royal blue. Those are our team colors. You couldn’t do that for the Green Bay Packers.”

Because the Green Bay Packers aren't stupid enough to pay $1.1 Billion dollars - even up there, where construction costs are significantly higher.

Dan B.
06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Because the Green Bay Packers aren't stupid enough to pay $1.1 Billion dollars - even up there, where construction costs are significantly higher.

Yeah, but... but The Cowboys/Jerry didn't pay for it all! The city of Arlington ponied up a big chunk of it. And they'll pay for it by taxing the crap out of tourists. This is sure to do nothing but help Six Flags emerge from bankruptcy.

But they've got nothing to worry about. It's not like Houston, with a much larger tax base than Arlington, is still paying off the Dome or anything.

HoustonFrog
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Good article in todays Chron about the stadium and how Jerry used Reliant as an example

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6581193.html

The glass walls, coupled with the lack of columns, let natural light stream into the building to a degree even greater than at Reliant Stadium, which was one of the things Jones admired about Houston’s $445 million football showplace.

“I was envious of Reliant the day I saw it,” Jones said. “Reliant started me down the road of trying to create as airy a place as we could.” He also drew on an iconic stadium from Houston’s past for inspiration.

“I remember walking into the Astrodome during my senior year at Arkansas and thinking, ‘My gosh, what would it be like to be a part of something this impressive?’ ” Jones recalled. “It has been a reflection to me for the last eight or nine years of what I want to do, and it set a bar of impression that made me want to reach it or to exceed it in 2009. Reliant did that for me as well.”

Texan_Bill
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Good article in todays Chron about the stadium and how Jerry used Reliant as an example

Tim Brando, Spencer Tillman and Bob McNair are talking about that very thing right now on 1560.

Hervoyel
08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
One side of me is impressed with the stadium and all the cool things they did there, except for the giant HD screens hanging over the field. I think that looks like ass and it messes up the view of the other side of the stadium which is something I have always enjoyed at Reliant and other stadiums. Instead this place makes it appear that you're sitting in your living room watching a big HD TV with a football game going on underneath it. At least that's how it appears in all the pictures I've seen so far.

But overall I'm impressed, or at least that rational side of me is impressed.

The other side just says "Oh look, Jerry got a bigger septic tank".

WWJD
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM
It's beautiful with alot of things I didn't expect to see and very expensive.

Didn't really have a hard time getting in or out which surprised me.

nunusguy
08-21-2009, 12:37 PM
The glass walls, coupled with the lack of columns, let natural light stream into the building to a degree even greater than at Reliant Stadium, which was one of the things Jones admired about Houston’s $445 million football showplace.

“I was envious of Reliant the day I saw it,” Jones said. “Reliant started me down the road of trying to create as airy a place as we could.” He also drew on an iconic stadium from Houston’s past for inspiration.

“I remember walking into the Astrodome during my senior year at Arkansas and thinking, ‘My gosh, what would it be like to be a part of something this impressive?’ ” Jones recalled. “It has been a reflection to me for the last eight or nine years of what I want to do, and it set a bar of impression that made me want to reach it or to exceed it in 2009. Reliant did that for me as well.”
"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" ?

nflnutswife
08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Have to say after being there last week to see our seats. That the stadium is absolutely magnificient. VERY impressive. It is a bit overwhelming on the inside due to all the open space that surrounds the lower entry level. The massive pro shop is located inside the stadium. I've never seen so many TV's mounted everywhere (except the restrooms) The club lounge takes up like 20 yards again on the entry level. I see a problem with consessions, as I think lines will be too long.
The stadium has field level "end zone" club seats with overstuffed recliner type chairs!!!! So unlike most stadiums, when a player goes in to the endzone for fan bumps...They are received by lounging guests, rather than the likes of our beloved Bullpen FANS.

Lots to say about the place, but honestly, I think it's lost the character and the overall football feel of a real fan based stadium, and more geared to the corporate client who visits occasionaly. JMO

Texan_Bill
08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
The other side just says "Oh look, Jerry got a bigger septic tank".

lol: I would rep if I could for style points.

Hookem Horns
08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Texas stadium was a dump and a horrible place to watch football. That bow in the field was annoying as all get out. I hope they didn't duplicate that and now have a better way to drain water from the field.

WWJD
08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Texas Stadium is going to be torn down for more highway work..it's been a bad nasty place to watch a game for many years.

Way too hot but I never went to a game there where I had a bad seat...

Brett never could get use to the dip in the field when the Pack played there...he was the one I remember it bothering most. Player that is.

nflnutswife
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Wasn't this new stadium supposed to have retractable live grass at one point? The field will be artificial turf. That surprised me, with open air roof!
And yes I'm anxious to see if that huge jumbo tron is distracting. I have a semi corner view of both the mega front 20 to 20 yard line picture and the smaller endzone screen attached to it!

TEXANRED
08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Texas stadium was a dump and a horrible place to watch football. That bow in the field was annoying as all get out. I hope they didn't duplicate that and now have a better way to drain water from the field.

Even the Cougars think that place is a dump.

GlassHalfFull
10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Hilarious, it true. I really hope it is. LOL.

Eli Manning's signature ups the value of new Cowboys Stadium (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Eli-Manning-s-signature-ups-the-value-of-new-Cow;_ylt=AshYRrkZlFqMZ9PfEr.5IR5DubYF?urn=nfl,1940 08)

The picture to your right was supposedly taken of a concrete column in the visitor's locker room of the new Cowboys Stadium, sometime after Eli Manning and the Giants spoiled the opening of the new building. If you hadn't gathered it from the photo, the Giants beat the Cowboys 33-31 on September 20th of 2009.

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the picture, signature or mild act of vandalism it represents. A reader sent it in to NBCDFW.com, alongside other claims that the Giants had treated the shiny new locker room with disrespect. I will admit, though, that if Eli had left his signature on the new building, I'd find it pretty damn amusing, as well as an indication of an ornery side of Eli that I didn't know existed.

The signature does look like Eli's, though that doesn't rule out some Photoshop magic. Eric Kreindler at the Blue Star wasn't able to get anyone in the Cowboys organization to respond to questions about it.

I'm going to choose to believe it's real, just because life is more fun that way. It's amusing, too, to picture Jerry Jones being alerted to the signature, turning red, and then wondering if there's any way he could get away with having Eli killed.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__16/ept_sports_nfl_experts-484185555-1254756071.jpg?ymnL6_BDRnJy.YkD

Vinny
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Looks like the sigs match his other autographs I googled just now.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__16/ept_sports_nfl_experts-484185555-1254756071.jpg?ymnL6_BDRnJy.YkDhttp://www.starwarsautographcollecting.com/Resources/FootballSignatures/EliManning.jpghttp://www.victorycollectibles.com/images/auto/Manning_Eli/Eli_Manning_drep.jpg