PDA

View Full Version : FAnblog:Connecting the Off-Season Dots~BigRon

Wolf
05-10-2009, 12:21 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2009/05/connecting_the_offseason_dotsb.html

We're about halfway through the '09 off-season and in the midst of the NFL dead zone. With coaching changes, free agent frenzy, and the Draft all in the rear-view, we can start to see the shape of the 2009 Texans. Unfortunately, we still have three long months before we get to check out the product against real competition. That stated, as we see the squad being assembled, I thought I'd try to continue connecting the off-season dots as best we fans can.

I focused on the Draft, the new defensive philosophy, and what it all means for the Texans D in 2009. I think we all have a better idea what to expect from the offense next season, excepting the added depth that we hope makes it more effective. As for the D... well, with how bad they were in '08, the subsequent coaching changes, and considerable additions through the Draft and free agency, that side of the ball is tougher to figure out.

Like many of you, I've tried to glean whatever I possibly can from any statements from management as to how they see their players and how they plan to deploy them. I pulled what I considered some choice off-season tidbits about the Texans' approach to things, especially their newest additions. Taking the recent discussion of USC's 4-3 under scheme and adding in commentary from the Texans' staff gives us a decent idea of what we might expect on D this year. This is my view of the developments we've seen and what they could mean a few months from now. What else is a Texans Fan to do these days?? Check it out...

2009 DRAFT

ObsiWan
05-10-2009, 05:48 AM
I found this to be the most interesting part of the blog...

n the nose, which differs from Carroll's philosophy. The Texans seem to want their DTs athletic enough to penetrate if necessary while still having enough strength to hold up in the A-gaps. They'll try to offset any lack of bulk by regular rotations of fresh DTs and an emphasis on penetration. With Bush's schemes coupled with Kollar's style, I think we'll see completely different substitution patterns on D. This is why I believe they brought in FA role players like Cato June and Shaun Cody. I'm also encouraged by David Gibbs' development of rook CBs, Brandon Flowers (rd. 2) and Brandon Carr (rd. 5), in KC last season. Both became solid starters by mid-season, even though the Chiefs' pass rush was worse than the Texans' last year. Here's hoping Gibbs' influence and Houston's trio of rook DBs keep fires lit under Fred Bennett and Dominique Barber. At minimum, they give the Texans added depth in light of Dunta Robinson's contract squabble and Molden's injury issue.

I'm also curious to see what Gibbs the Younger can do with the youngsters we've collected over the past three years. I didn't realize it until I just looked over the roster, but Robinson and Reeves are the "old guys" in the collection of CBs (nine at last count) that are currently on the roster.

TheRealJoker
05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
One reason I wasn't too worried about drafting CB in the 1st this year was because of Gibbs' track record with the young DBs. We have collected a fair amount of talent since Smithiak has been here in that unit and I hope that Gibbs can maximize that talent.

Sure, they weren't 1st rounders but we've got some athletes in that group who aren't afraid to get physical.

RipTraxx
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Remember Smith is an old DB/DB coach from back in the day. So he recognizes talent.....

Reasoning parallels to Kubiak and QBs. If he thinks, should schaub could go down, Orlovsky can step up just like Sage did. (minus the copter debacle)

Goatcheese
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Remember Smith is an old DB/DB coach from back in the day. So he recognizes talent.....

Reasoning parallels to Kubiak and QBs. If he thinks, should schaub could go down, Orlovsky can step up just like Sage did. (minus the copter debacle)

I don't know. Dan looks like he might have some rotation ability in him, and his name kind of sounds like Sikorsky.

I can see him auto-rotating out the back of our endzone. :cool:

http://www.minihelicopter.net/SikorskyS92/Sikorsky%20S-92.jpg