PDA

View Full Version : Hackett visits Texans

m5kwatts
05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0508,0,5724678.story?track=rss

very last sentence of the article....kind of interesting

TheRealJoker
05-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Interesting he chose to visit here instead of trying out with the Ravens. We are loaded at WR and he could possibly grab the # 3 WR role with them.

ObsiWan
05-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Interesting he chose to visit here instead of trying out with the Ravens. We are loaded at WR and he could possibly grab the # 3 WR role with them.

That is rather puzzling. Maybe he thinks we throw significantly more than the Ravens...

...when you think about it, who would make a better redzone threat @ the #3 WR spot, Hackett or A.D./D.A....?

Mari-OWNED!
05-09-2009, 04:14 AM
I used to live in Seattle, and I follow the Seahawks just as much as I follow the Texans, and I wouldn't mind if the Texans could sign Hackett if it is on the cheap.

He's better than Andre Davis, (As a receiver, not a kick returner) and David Anderson IMO.

mexican_texan
05-09-2009, 04:38 AM
I'd rather not. I've seen the Seahawks in the playoffs.

RipTraxx
05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Really confused by this....he is not a slot rec. by any stretch. Add the fact that he doesnt know the playbook/chemistry of our team......no thanks...i'll take DA any day.

ATXtexanfan
05-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm sure he's just visiting

checo446
05-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I used to live in Seattle, and I follow the Seahawks just as much as I follow the Texans, and I wouldn't mind if the Texans could sign Hackett if it is on the cheap.

He's better than Andre Davis, (As a receiver, not a kick returner) and David Anderson IMO.

I agree, if healthy DJ Hackett is a nice weapon to have as a third or fourth option. With all of the guys who can return the ball that we drafted, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hackett make the roster if we signed him. He has always had a lot of talent. The real problem with him is the healthy aspect.

beerlover
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I think what's most cool about this is players around the NFL want to come & play in Houston. I think this is the positive we need to take away from this not the actual player himself.

fyi mario-owned I'm a big David Anderson fan who fits Kubiaks system to the numbers :bat:

Goldensilence
05-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but, I can't seem to get on the David Anderson bandwagon. Good effort guy who has managed to stick around on the tailend of the WR corps. I like Hackett's experience but I'm kind of hopeing Mike Jones can catch on here. Great height and size that could translate into being a redzone threat in multiple WR sets.

I am starting to wonder if AD's status a #3 is solid and I'm almost sure JJ is on the bubble this year. Hackett is only 27 and while not pro bowl caliber aside from injury has been fairly solid when he's gotten time. Could make TC interesting.

mussop
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but, I can't seem to get on the David Anderson bandwagon. Good effort guy who has managed to stick around on the tailend of the WR corps. I like Hackett's experience but I'm kind of hopeing Mike Jones can catch on here. Great height and size that could translate into being a redzone threat in multiple WR sets.

I am starting to wonder if AD's status a #3 is solid and I'm almost sure JJ is on the bubble this year. Hackett is only 27 and while not pro bowl caliber aside from injury has been fairly solid when he's gotten time. Could make TC interesting.

Maybe this is a prelude to us trading Anderson to Denver for Hillis.

steelbtexan
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Maybe this is a prelude to us trading Anderson to Denver for Hillis.

Or

JJ and a 3rd to the Raiders for Bush

ObsiWan
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM

I'm with you.
When A.J.went down in '07, I find myself wondering would Anderson have done as well as Davis did? I have a hard time picturing that he would have.

And it would be nice to be able to put 3-4 WRs that are over 6 ft on the field in the money zone.

m5kwatts
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Or

I think you can put the Raiders on the list of teams who DONT want to help us get better

ObsiWan
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Or

we don't need to throw in a 3rd; just leak it to Crazy Al that J.J. can run a 4.23 - 40...
:D

TheRealJoker
05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Or

No way we give up our PR AND a 3rd for a team's 3rd string RB.

steelbtexan
05-09-2009, 10:09 PM
A PR who has fumbling problems.

As a WR JJ hasn't learned how to run routes in two years. I dont think he wil learn because he's more interested in partying than perfecting his craft.

JJ and a 3rd would be fair value but I doubt the GODFATHER Al woud do it.

Bush would be the 2nd best RB in Texans history IMO. (Yes I thnk he's better than DDW)

Second Honeymoon
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Or

if that 3rd was a 4th, I would be totally down with that. doubt al would be but after he he drafts UFA talent in the 2nd round....so you never know.

mussop
05-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I would take Hillis over Bush.

steelbtexan
05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I would take Hillis over Bush.

Why?

Expound on thse thoughts

mussop
05-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Why?

Expound on thse thoughts

Would luv too! First let me say I like Bush :thinking: but there are several reasons I would take Hillis over Bush.
1.) Hillis is already familiar with the ZB system we run.
2.) Not only does he have experience in our scheme he has been very productive (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/523458) in it as well.
3.) Hillis is bigger
4.) Hillis is faster
5.) Hillis has great hands
6.) Hillis is younger
7.) Bush has an injury history

Both value wise and potential wise Hillis is the better choice IMO. But I would do cartwheels if we add either one.

checo446
05-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Would luv too! First let me say I like Bush :thinking: but there are several reasons I would take Hillis over Bush.
2.) Not only does he have experience in our scheme he has been very productive (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/523458) in it as well.
3.) Hillis is bigger
4.) Hillis is faster
6.) Hillis is younger

Both value wise and potential wise Hillis is the better choice IMO. But I would do cartwheels if we add either one.

I think at this point Bush is healthier than Hillis who is coming off a torn hamstring late last year. I like Hillis and I think he is a good fit, but if I had the choice I would choose Bush.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2009, 12:48 AM
3.) Hillis is bigger
4.) Hillis is faster
6.) Hillis is younger

And Hillis loves to pass "knock them on their ass" block:goodpost:

jppaul
05-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Give me Bush any day of the week although I think Hillis is solid. I think Bush has more potential as a power back.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Back to Hackett............He's tall (listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6'3"). He has glue hands, and could easily act the slot as a Texan. My guess is that the Texans believe his potential has not been realized due to the fact that his career has been limited to teams not well known for their passing. He could very well be steal.

steelbtexan
05-10-2009, 01:46 AM
I would love to add Hackett.

Who do you think would be the odd man out?

I vote JJ but could see a late TC trade.

TheRealJoker
05-10-2009, 02:13 AM
I fail to see the logic in trading a 3rd and our PR (even if you have issues with JJ) for a RB with potential, but lacks the track record in the NFL. The fact is he's the 3rd best RB on the Raiders. We dont need to be unloading our PR AND a 3rd for that type of a player.

Hackett would be interesting competition to bring into camp at the right price. If he shines in TC and nails down the slot job then that would allow us to use David Anderson in a PLAYER FOR PLAYER swap if we see a RB on the team we think could come in and spell Slaton. If he doesn't fulfill that role he'll have provided TC competition and made the guys in front of him that much better.

TimeKiller
05-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I think I'd rather have Hillis than Bush too. I think he'd be a great fit on an offense that is starting to look very, very stacked.

Hackett might be a good F/A signing, I fueled the Jacoby Jones hype machine as much as anyone but him getting replaced would make sense to me right now. For anything good he did there was something bad too. Seems like these are the type of coaches that would rather have 0 td returns and 0 fumbles on kr/pr than 4 tds and 4 fumbles. McCain/Nolan both seem shifty enough on int returns to try out that spot, Anderson can return kicks, we still have Andre Davis even if he does need to kind of...show up. Point is it's not like we don't have other options at return man and Jacoby Jones is zero as a reciever.

ArlingtonTexan
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Hillis is probably the safest bet to stay in Denver because he is the starting fullback. Overall, he is getting way too much talk for a guy who played well in a handful of games and is coming off a major hamstring injury. did a nice job, but is probably not the solution that warrants the amount of talk that he has gotton on this board.

Hackett displyed talent at some point when he was at Seattle, but could not stay healthy. he followed that up with a nothing year in Carolina. Even if he signs, chances are he is just a hope something happens player. sometimes these work out (see Andre Davis), but most of the time it amounts to nothing.

TexansSeminole
05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Hillis is probably the safest bet to stay in Denver because he is the starting fullback. Overall, he is getting way too much talk for a guy who played well in a handful of games and is coming off a major hamstring injury. did a nice job, but is probably not the solution that warrants the amount of talk that he has gotton on this board.

Hackett displyed talent at some point when he was at Seattle, but could not stay healthy. he followed that up with a nothing year in Carolina. Even if he signs, chances are he is just a hope something happens player. sometimes these work out (see Andre Davis), but most of the time it amounts to nothing.

I agree with this entire assessment. I also agree with beerlover that the positive we should take with this is that players want to visit Houston and see if they have a chance here.

Hillis will stay in Denver. He was only a rookie last year and McDaniels has a chance of molding him into what he wants.

We can look to add a WR in the next draft. We will probably need to replace JJ or AD at that point anyway.

jppaul
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Back to Hackett............He's tall (listed anywhere from 6'2" to 6'3"). He has glue hands, and could easily act the slot as a Texan. My guess is that the Texans believe his potential has not been realized due to the fact that his career has been limited to teams not well known for their passing. He could very well be steal.

I am favorable to adding Hackett, for a minimum contract, if he'll take it. Competition does nothing but improve the team.