PDA

View Full Version : Ufl

Vinny
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
A link to the new UFL league down below.

UFL Keeps Preparing For Its First Season
Posted by Mike Florio (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/) on May 7, 2009, 1:00 p.m.

The upstart UFL, which plans to play a six-game regular season with four franchise later this year, continues to lay the foundation for its inaugural season.

The league already has generated buzz with the hiring of former NFL head coaches Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, and Jim Haslett and long-time NFL assistant coach Ted Cottrell to coach the quartet of teams.

The UFL previously announced a national television contract with VERSUS, a Comcast-owned cable network.

http://www.ufl-football.com/

mexican_texan
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I've been waiting for them. I could use football in March and May.

Thorn
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
No Houston team though. I'll still give them a look if they broadcast the games on an HD channel.

WWJD
05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Is this the same league that was going to start but when belly-up before their first game?

I guess the intent is good but all these leagues seem to fail.

Ryan
05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Bring back the XFL.

brakos82
05-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Bring back the XFL.
This.

Thorn
05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Bring back the XFL.

I like the idea of a spring football league. I went to some Gambler games. It's a nice distraction when nothing else is going on. It is, of course, watching the minor leagues, but what the heck. The only other football on is the repeats on the NFL channel.

AnthonyE
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hm. All teams are on the west coast. :o

Goldensilence
05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Interesting thought and I like the idea of a spring league. I really think that if a league puts good effort into it, it can find a excellent niche between the NFL's season for starved football fans.

To me what is essential is the markets it chooses. I thought Hartford is an intersting one to pursue. Other then the Huskies Connecticut doesn't have much to cheer for. Can also act like a NE hub.

SLC i found interesting too. Something new to hate about Utah fans.

Vegas. Interesting.

I think this league would do well to to find larger metropolitan areas that don't have a professional team to rally around. While the Spurs are there I think San Antonio would make a great market for the league.

Place like Santa Fe NM might be intersting. Portland. Columbus Ohio perhaps.Richmond Va. Louisville. Birmingham.

Slightly smaller markets but ones that could support the league and give it fans.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Hm. All teams are on the west coast. :o

Just like when Roller Derby began.:foottap:

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Is this the same league that was going to start but when belly-up before their first game?

I guess the intent is good but all these leagues seem to fail.

No WWJD, you're thinking of the AAFL (the ALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE). Houston was actually assigned a team. Several hundred season tickets were sold, IIRC, and needed to be returned. The league was to begin 2008, after having had a draft. But for all sorts of reasons, they put off their season for 2009. Still problems. From what I understand, they are still trying to organize for 2010, although this would be putting them nose-to-nose with the UFL.

Polo
05-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Other than greed I don't see a reason why they shouldn't combine resources and make their product even better...

I don't know about this new leauge, but for the AAFL you had to have atleast a two yr. degree to play...I was gonna try out, but of course we know what happened to them...

WWJD
05-08-2009, 06:48 PM
No WWJD, you're thinking of the AAFL (the ALL AMERICAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE). Houston was actually assigned a team. Several hundred season tickets were sold, IIRC, and needed to be returned. The league was to begin 2008, after having had a draft. But for all sorts of reasons, they put off their season for 2009. Still problems. From what I understand, they are still trying to organize for 2010, although this would be putting them nose-to-nose with the UFL.

Thanks for that info...I had read a few articles and I even watched a blurb on 13 sports one night about it and then I read somewhere where they had just decided not to go forward.

Giant Tiger
05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Bring back the XFL.

The idea was good, but he should have tinkered with the rules more... sort of a football & rugby hybrid (no padding etc.). Any "new" football league will always be viewed as a secondary league; so they need to adjust the game to carve out their own "niche".

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for that info...I had read a few articles and I even watched a blurb on 13 sports one night about it and then I read somewhere where they had just decided not to go forward.

Here's a link to the official AAFL:

http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

SheTexan
05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I like the idea of a spring football league. I went to some Gambler games. It's a nice distraction when nothing else is going on. It is, of course, watching the minor leagues, but what the heck. The only other football on is the repeats on the NFL channel.

I went to some Gambler games also. Still have some black and red pom poms!:) One reason I became such a big Jim Kelly fan and followed his career until he retired.

Speedy
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Interesting thought and I like the idea of a spring league. I really think that if a league puts good effort into it, it can find a excellent niche between the NFL's season for starved football fans.

To me what is essential is the markets it chooses. I thought Hartford is an intersting one to pursue. Other then the Huskies Connecticut doesn't have much to cheer for. Can also act like a NE hub.

SLC i found interesting too. Something new to hate about Utah fans.

Vegas. Interesting.

I think this league would do well to to find larger metropolitan areas that don't have a professional team to rally around. While the Spurs are there I think San Antonio would make a great market for the league.

Place like Santa Fe NM might be intersting. Portland. Columbus Ohio perhaps.Richmond Va. Louisville. Birmingham.

Slightly smaller markets but ones that could support the league and give it fans.

When NFL Europe shut down I thought, why didn't the NFL just do the damn developmental league right here in the good ol US of A, in the spring, when fans are starved for football? Put it in cities that don't have an NFL team like OKC, San Antonio, Louisville, Vegas, Portland, hell maybe even Los Angeles could finally get a team. Have it here where we could watch it, and support it, have better coverage of it, and I think it would have been very successful.

It would have also squashed any attempt of a league like this UFL or what have you popping up.

But no, the NFL is more concerned with taking their product away from the fans and the mega bucks here, and trying to squeeze what little they can across the pond.

Oh well.

El Tejano
05-11-2009, 02:04 PM

I which you are only going to get Brett Favre games, or New England Patriots.

mexican_texan
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
When NFL Europe shut down I thought, why didn't the NFL just do the damn developmental league right here in the good ol US of A, in the spring, when fans are starved for football? Put it in cities that don't have an NFL team like OKC, San Antonio, Louisville, Vegas, Portland, hell maybe even Los Angeles could finally get a team. Have it here where we could watch it, and support it, have better coverage of it, and I think it would have been very successful.

It would have also squashed any attempt of a league like this UFL or what have you popping up.

But no, the NFL is more concerned with taking their product away from the fans and the mega bucks here, and trying to squeeze what little they can across the pond.

Oh well.
Goodell actually wants a developmental league, but despite the health of the league, it wouldn't go over well if a dozen or so franchises popped up in small markets.

Speedy
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Goodell actually wants a developmental league, but despite the health of the league, it wouldn't go over well if a dozen or so franchises popped up in small markets.

How would it not go over well?