PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll discussion describing our defense, I think.

dalemurphy
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I ran into this article a couple months ago and JLR has posted it on his Fanblog at chron.com/sports. I'm about 90% certain that this is the base defense Frank Bush is going to work from.

USC 4-3 Under Blitz Schemes

By Pete Carroll
Head Football Coach
University of Southern California

Thank you. I am really excited to be here. I want to start by thanking Nike for putting on these clinics. It gives us a chance to exchange ideas, have some fun, and talk about the game we love.

dalemurphy
05-05-2009, 09:32 PM
continued...

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2009/05/your_thoughts_and_topics_neede.html

Kaiser Toro
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
This has been posted in at least three different threads.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/43_under_blitz_schemes.html

Specnatz
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM
This has been posted in at least three different threads.

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/43_under_blitz_schemes.html

Yep

El Tejano
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I noticed he said he doesn't want his team reading and then reacting. That he wants them to shoot gaps and be quick off the ball. I remember that once our defense (or Mario) started to stop reading and reacting, the productivity got so much better.

Also he says you have to have fast WR to play the bump and run. Jacque Reeves, Mccain and I even think Molden all run pretty good so I can see where we loaded up on this.

The other thing that stuck out to me was how he doesn't like his safeties to have to many assignments. I recall our secondary would get burned because the safeties were out of place alot. So I wonder how we do after we don't give our safeties alot of assignments.

There is a clear difference in what this defense does vs. Richard Smith's defense.

So based on this alignment how would our front 7 look? I forget who plays Sam and Will I always get them mixed up.

I think Okoye can have a good year in this D if he gets his head out of his butt.

Goldensilence
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I noticed he said he doesn't want his team reading and then reacting. That he wants them to shoot gaps and be quick off the ball. I remember that once our defense (or Mario) started to stop reading and reacting, the productivity got so much better.

Also he says you have to have fast WR to play the bump and run. Jacque Reeves, Mccain and I even think Molden all run pretty good so I can see where we loaded up on this.

The other thing that stuck out to me was how he doesn't like his safeties to have to many assignments. I recall our secondary would get burned because the safeties were out of place alot. So I wonder how we do after we don't give our safeties alot of assignments.

There is a clear difference in what this defense does vs. Richard Smith's defense.

So based on this alignment how would our front 7 look? I forget who plays Sam and Will I always get them mixed up.

I think Okoye can have a good year in this D if he gets his head out of his butt.

I'm assuming on this but I think our starting front seven will look like this :

Cushing Ryans June

Mario Okoye TJ Smith

Should be a fun camp battle between June and Adibi. I think Deljuan Robinson will be pushing TJ for the start and I'd love to see a Frank Okam sighting. IF this the sort of defense we'll be running then the whole team will benefit a lot just from knowing what we want to do instead of guessing in Richard Smith's defense. One thing I'm glad we did in the draft was get faster as a team on defense.

Ole Miss Texan
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Antonio Smith...Amobi Okoye..Travis Johnson..Mario Williams
........Brian Cushing...........Demeco Ryans......Xavier Adibi

Mario Williams................Amobi Okoye...Antonio Smith....Connor Barwin
.......Brian Cushing........Demeco Ryans..........Xavier Adibi

Polo
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
I doubt Connor Barwin will play LDE...

When Barwin and MArio are in the game together I expect MArio to slide to the LDE and for Barwin to man the right side...

Ole Miss Texan
05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I doubt Connor Barwin will play LDE...

When Barwin and MArio are in the game together I expect MArio to slide to the LDE and for Barwin to man the right side...
Edited. Wasn't too sure about their set up. I guess Mario moves to the strongside for passing downs and Barwin comes in on the weakside? Makes sense to me.

El Tejano
05-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I can't help but feel we are loaded at LB if Diles comes back 100%.

BigBull17
05-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Mario Williams................Shaun Cody...Amobi Okoye....Connor Barwin

I would expect Smith to be at DT when Barwin is in the game. Also, if its a passing down, look for June somewhere. He is alot better in coverage, more of a playmaker than most guys on our whole team.

Polo
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Should be a fun camp battle between June and Adibi.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Ephriam Salaam/Duane Brown type situation with these two guys...

I personally think that if Adibi remains healthy he wins it outright and the competition won't really be close. But I think that if June plays well he will have some value to the team. Especially on passing downs...

BigBull17
05-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an Ephriam Salaam/Duane Brown type situation with these two guys...

I personally think that if Adibi remains healthy he wins it outright and the competition won't really be close. But I think that if June plays well he will have some value to the team. Especially on passing downs...

I think June will give him a run for his money. The more competition the better. I love our flexability. If we want, we could have Cushing and Barwin at DE, Mario and Smith/Okoye at DT, then June/Adibi and Demeco. I like it.

Ole Miss Texan
05-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I would expect Smith to be at DT when Barwin is in the game. Also, if its a passing down, look for June somewhere. He is alot better in coverage, more of a playmaker than most guys on our whole team.
Edited. You're totally right, I have no idea why I left him out! I think I was too concerned between the Cody/TJ battle. I'm really looking forward to Mario, Smith, Amobi and Barwin all on the line rushing the QB... and then Cushing coming up to blitz too. This defensive front 7 is going to be completely different than what we've had in the past.

bigbrewster2000
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Edited. You're totally right, I have no idea why I left him out! I think I was too concerned between the Cody/TJ battle. I'm really looking forward to Mario, Smith, Amobi and Barwin all on the line rushing the QB... and then Cushing coming up to blitz too. This defensive front 7 is going to be completely different than what we've had in the past.

Yeah I agree with you. That is potentially alot of pressure coming at the QB all at once. Especially after Barwin gets broken in a bit. It will be a very similar look to the Giants line the year they won the Super Bowl. Not as talented but a very similar look.

Ckw
05-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Mario Williams................Amobi Okoye...Antonio Smith....Connor Barwin

Wow! Just wow! Looking at this on paper has me extremely excited. That right there is a stacked defense. Our front 7 just might make our secondary look respectable.