PDA

View Full Version : Who here is ready for opening day?!?!?!

TheRealJoker
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
We've got a tough 1st matchup against the Jets. Since the rosters are about set in stone (very few impact signings left to make if any) I figured i'd take this opportunity to gauge everyone's thoughts about our opening day matchup against everyone's favorite media darling the New York Jets.

Yes, they're getting tons of hype because they're the Jets and because they made the bold move of trading up for a popular QB. But I dont really care about all that. To be honest, I think they gave up way too much for Sanchez (5 picks/players) and then they traded up AGAIN for a RB. Greene is a very good RB to have but its not a good idea to mortgage your draft on essentially two players (they had 3 picks in total). Especially since underclassmen rookie QBs dont have a great track record of success and RBs are a dime a dozen.

The actual reason that this is a tough game is because they've got one of the best defenses in football and a hell of a running game with Thomas Jones and the stout OL they've got in Jersey. Their secondary is as good as anyone's with Revis, Sheppard, Rhodes, and Leonhard. Its a good thing we've got plenty of weapons to throw to because that secondary is gonna force us to dig deep for favorable matchups other than the token Andre Johnson vs anyone. Their run defense is stout with Kris Jenkins anchoring the DL, I have a hard time not seeing Chris Meyers getting rag dolled against that NT.

We get to meet Rex Ryan again, the defensive genius has his hands on the talent with the Jets and brought quite a few guys over to help jumpstart his system. The 3-4 defenses had their way with us last season. Hopefully Anthony Hill shows his worth right off the bat in this matchup assisting the OTs in pass protection.

All in all I think its a very even matchup considering the upgrades we made on defense. The three biggest advantages we have are that its a home game, we're probably gonna get to play a rookie QB, and this is Rex Ryan's first game with the team so we catch them while they barely have their feet wet. We're gonna find out real quick how our offense stacks up against the league's best defenses, if we can score against a tough 3-4 defense like this then we're gonna find out for sure whether this offense is elite.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2009, 11:11 AM
It will be interesting to see the changes in our defense. I expect this to be a test of our run defense. I expect them to try to minimize Sanchez's decisions. If the changes to our defense work, then this game should be a cakewalk.

The only thing I worry about on the offensive side is turnovers. I think we'll be better in the red zone and I hope we eliminate the turnovers. If we do that, we win. If we don't do that, we might still win.

I think we win.

76Texan
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I just want to see Cushing taking down Sanchez.
That will be fun to watch! :specnatz:

Ole Miss Texan
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
This will be a very good test but it sure beats playing Pittsburgh for Game 1!

I don't think Sanchez will be starting for the game, if so, we win big. Defense will be tough on our offense but I think we'll be able to move the ball as usual. We'll be practicing our red zone offense and Schaub not turning the ball over so hopefully we start off well in that regard.

Their offense will be tough to stop and we'll see how our Defense steps up. It's hard to have any sort of idea what's going to happen. I like our chances though with Clemons/Sanchez as QB right now than if Favre was still there.

I think we win the game but don't read too much into it... I've got us going 16-0 :texflag:

76Texan
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Usually, an Eagles cast-off don't do so well.
I'm hoping Schaub will keep that tradition going against Lito! :wild:

valleytexfan
05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I can't wait!!! But I'm also glad there won't be any more "We want Sage!" chants at the game. Matt's the man and the offense should be fine, but I wanna see the new D.

whiskeyrbl
05-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I can't wait!!! But I'm also glad there won't be any more "We want Sage!" chants at the game. Matt's the man and the offense should be fine, but I wanna see the new D.
The only chant we will hear on opening day is " Mario, Mario,Mario"

ObsiWan
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
It will be interesting to see the changes in our defense. I expect this to be a test of our run defense. I expect them to try to minimize Sanchez's decisions. If the changes to our defense work, then this game should be a cakewalk.

The only thing I worry about on the offensive side is turnovers. I think we'll be better in the red zone and I hope we eliminate the turnovers. If we do that, we win. If we don't do that, we might still win.

I think we win.

Bingo!!
If we don't turn the ball over, I'm confident that we win!

Polo
05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
If we cut down on the turnovers defense looks better too..

Norg
05-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Iam rdy to see all the hot girls at relient in the parking lot ....... :texflag:

Specnatz
05-02-2009, 01:33 AM
I am not going to read any further than the title and say I am pretty damn sure we all want 2 months of nothing ... so a lot of threads can be made all about nothing just to watch a bunch of over reaction.

I know that is what I am looking forward to over the next couple months.

:specnatz:

ObsiWan
05-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Iam rdy to see all the hot girls at relient in the parking lot ....... :texflag:

You should have gone to the draft party.
:thisbig:

disaacks3
05-02-2009, 02:27 AM

Nah, but we WILL hear them during the Monday night pre-season game...you can BET on it! hehehe :wild:

valleytexfan
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Nah, but we WILL hear them during the Monday night pre-season game...you can BET on it! hehehe :wild:

you're probably right there my friend...

valleytexfan
05-02-2009, 11:27 AM
The only chant we will hear on opening day is " Mario, Mario,Mario"

Definitely!!!:fans:

Texaninlild
05-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I see it as a day to shine. If we think we are as good as we should be this will be a 'W'. We are much further along than the Jet's and if Sanchez plays it will be ugly. It will be a good barometer to see where we start the season.:wild::texflag:

gary
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
There is a long way to go.

RipTraxx
05-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Mario, Cushing, Okoye, Smith, Barwin vs. a rookie qb? I'll take it.

Welcome to the NFL Dirty Sanchez.......

sakebomb
05-03-2009, 09:28 AM
ESPN loves them some dirty Sanchez.

I hope we kill them. I would love to see all of the "experts" faces on ESPN later that night.

RipTraxx
05-03-2009, 02:54 PM
ESPN loves them some dirty Sanchez.

I hope we kill them. I would love to see all of the "experts" faces on ESPN later that night.

I like him as a QB. Detroit picked the wrong one.

rarazz00
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Don't be surprised If Sanches doesn't start..Its 50/50 if he wins the job on opening day. Coach Ryans is under no pressure to start Sanchez and he can take a little time to groom him before he puts him in. He may be put in by the 3rd or 4th game depending on how bad Clemons falters. Coach Ryans was in Baltimore and watched a rookie QB take them to the Championship Game. Joe Flacco got the start, because the other QB's were not healthy...Yes the Jets have a great O-Line and a promising running game and a promising Defense, Just like the Atlanta Falcons and the Baltimore Ravens...With all this being said..I believe it's a 50/50 Sanchez will start...This will be a tough opener for us.:tiphat:

NitroGSXR
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I hate the start of the season.

The Jets are a very good team. They can control certain aspects of the game despite their QB issues. That being said... playing the Steelers was a major let down. It brought me back to reality mighty quick after getting slapped around in the season opener. I'd been working up into a frenzy over the entire off-season. Now we open against a strong team once again.

Ugh.

Opening strong has to be a priority here. I want to feel the excitement in August leading up to wherever we land by the end. Basically, I want to be in the playoff race throughout the season rather than working our way into it at the end. The Texans are on the right path. No doubt about it. I'm just ready to win against teams that matter. The Jets matter considering their ground game.

Norg
05-03-2009, 11:37 PM
You should have gone to the draft party.
:thisbig:

man i must have missed out i was working that day man ...that sucks i missed out