PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young Released by the Broncos

Texsker
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
The Broncos have officially released Selvin Young.

Kaiser Toro
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/nfl.denver.broncos.2.998524.html

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) ―
Click to enlarge
Running Selvin Young #35 of the Denver Broncos heads upfield on a run against the Kansas City Chiefs in the third quarter of the football game at Invesco Field at Mile High Dec. 9, 2007 in Denver, Colo.

The Broncos began thinning its stable of running backs on Thursday. After two seasons with the Broncos, Selvin Young was released by the team after he failed his physical.

Young's chances of remaining in Denver were lessened considerable when new head coach Josh McDaniels signed several running backs in free agency and used the team's number one pick in the recent draft to select Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno.

Young started the first five games in 2008, rushing for 303 yards on 61 carries. But injuries would sideline him for much of the rest of the season. The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.

Today, his Broncos career officially came to an end.

Young grew up in the Houston area and starred for the University of Texas. There's been speculation that he could wind up with his hometown Houston Texans.

CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers communicated with Young on Thursday after news of his release. He told Reggie that going to the Texans..."would be a dream come true. But I have to get healthy first."

He may be a nice fellow, but I have never liked him as a football player.

Hervoyel
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM

And I presume that an injured Selvin Young would rate even lower with you right? He's never really impressed me much either.

The thing about these guys from Denver is that we have coaches who know what they're looking at where these players are concerned. They can see what these guys did and look at the play and know what they maybe should have done. Nobody is going to hide anything there.

If any of them are worth bringing over I expect we'll bring them over but if we ignore one of them then it will be like the kiss of death for that player. Everyone around the league already suspects that if you wracked up a thousand yards in Denver you probably did it because of the system. When they see running back refugees from the old Denver regime fail to attract any attention from the one team in the NFL that would most likely be able to plug them in and keep rolling then that will speak volumes.

It's not even much of a topic if he's still recovering from an injury. I don't think we're in the market for an injured back right now. Chris Brown fills that role on our team nicely now that Ahman Green is retired.

Carr Bombed
04-30-2009, 06:12 PM

The only problem I have with him is his ability to stay healthy.....I can't argue against his career 5.1 YPC average in this system. If he can stay relatively healthy he'll be a hell of a backup to Steve Slaton. Young RBs (he's only 25) who have starting experience and average 5.1 yards per carry don't just fall out of the sky everyday.

I say sign him up, if he stays healthy Steve Slaton and Selvin Young is a hellava backfield and that would solve all our RB needs.

bah007
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
The only problem I have with him is his ability to stay healthy.....I can't argue against his career 5.1 YPC average in this system. If he can stay relatively healthy he'll be a hell of a backup to Steve Slaton. Young RBs (he's only 25) who have starting experience and average 5.1 yards per carry don't just fall out of the sky everyday.

I say sign him up, if he stays healthy Steve Slaton and Selvin Young is a hellava backfield and that would solve all our RB needs.

We already have an injured backup and Brown is more talented.

Carr Bombed
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
We already have an injured backup and Brown is more talented.

Brown isn't more talented and it's been 4 years since the last time he was a productive RB. Selvin Young is still young and has a better chance at staying healthy than Brown does.

I say sign him to a cheap contract (he isn't going to cost that much) and bring him to camp......if he all of a sudden becomes a healthy player (there have been players who struggled with injuries early in their careers and then they all of a sudden were able to stay healthy) he'll become a boom FA signing. When Healthy he's a talented player in this system.

And that's another thing, unlike any other back we can get right now......we KNOW that he can produce in this system and he knows the system, so he could come in from day one and be the backup or start if need be.

ObsiWan
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
The Broncos eventually placed him on injured reserve in late December due to a neck injury.

neck injury...?
how bad? Anyone know?

Honoring Earl 34
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I would sign him for the right money ... why ... he's proven . Of course I'm having visions of Ahman Green .

JWarren14
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Jersey Village kid, I went to middle school with him as well...shop class @ Campbell Jr High. I am biased in saying that we should give him a shot, he has played well in the system as the numbers indicate, but being injured is a concern. What running back didn't get injured last year?

TexansSeminole
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
It's not like we have a whole lot of depth at RB. Two UDFA, Ryan Moats, and Chris Brown behind Slaton. Chris Brown didn't play at all last season, and in the two seasons prior he played a total of 17 games (he missed games in both seasons). That's 17 games in 3 years.

Selvin Young has played in 23 games over the last 2 years. I'd bring him in, and if he can get back to 100% I don't see any reason why he can't make this team.

The only thing I am wondering about is if his neck injury is going to be around for his whole career, or even this next season.

I would sign him for the right money ... why ... he's proven . Of course I'm having visions of Ahman Green .

Chris Brown is even worse than Ahman IMO. He has only played in 17 games over 3 seasons. The guy is a letdown waiting to happen.

Texecutioner
04-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Last off season I would have been very happy to have Selvin Young, but after seeing him go through injuries for yet another season then it would be a waste of time. He didn't run the ball near as well as he did as a rookie and then got hurt again.

He was always hurt at Texas as well.

I don't want a guy right now that was always injured at Texas and in his first two seasons as a rookie suffered with a bunch of injury problems in his first two seasons.

I think we're fine with Jeremiah Johnson if we really wanted to go that route.

MojoMan
04-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Has anyone seen any good information on his current health status?

TexansSeminole
04-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Last off season I would have been very happy to have Selvin Young, but after seeing him go through injuries for yet another season then it would be a waste of time. He didn't run the ball near as well as he did as a rookie and then got hurt again.

He was always hurt at Texas as well.

I don't want a guy right now that was always injured at Texas and in his first two seasons as a rookie suffered with a bunch of injury problems in his first two seasons.

I think we're fine with Jeremiah Johnson if we really wanted to go that route.

Selvin Young played in 15 of 16 games in his rookie year and ran for 5.2 yards per carry at a little over 9 carries a game. Doesn't really look to me that injuries prohibited him from producing that year.

BigBull17
04-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I would sign him. We need bodies, and he's got the talent for this level.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm waiting for what is not very likely to happen............the release of Hillis.

mexican_texan
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
He failed a physical, so I can't think he'll be useful for us.

Who's the fast RB they had? Was it Hall? I don't think Hillis could give us much that Casey couldn't do anyway.

WolverineFan
04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm waiting for what is not very likely to happen............the release of Hillis.

I'm hoping for Torain.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2009, 08:06 PM

CBS4 Broncos Insider Reggie Rivers communicated with Young on Thursday after news of his release. He told Reggie that going to the Texans..."would be a dream come true. But I have to get healthy first."

This was not a chronic neck problem. He sustained an acute herniated disc last December. He is now still alluding to getting healthy. Significant discussions earlier in the year were had concerning the possible need for surgery. This type of injury (acute) typically involves a prolonged recovery if the conservative route is an option. If surgery is necessary, it many times involves fusion of cervical vertebrae which usually leads to the recommendation that basket weaving would an appropriate career change.

Mike Kerns
04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Id rather keep the youngsters in Foster & Jeremiah and see how they look in camp. Tired of RB's with too much wear and tear.

BigBull17
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Id rather keep the youngsters in Foster & Jeremiah and see how they look in camp. Tired of RB's with too much wear and tear.

He doesn't really have that much wear and tear, just a lil bad luck. I'd give him a shot. Hillis would be really nice.

utahmark
04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
at least thats what john mcclain thinks http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/04/what_do_you_think_of_the_newes.html

forget it. should of known i was way late. this can be deleted.

rarazz00
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Man...Selvin Young sounds somewhat intriguing...but that neck issue will be living RENT FREE IN HIS HEAD FOREVER. Priest Holmes had the same issue and eventually retired...why sign Selvin Young and when he gets the wood laid on him in practice, tells Rick Smith about second thoughts....So as intriguing as this may be I say NO to Selvin Young....:texflag:

Scooter
04-30-2009, 10:34 PM

me too

thunderkyss
04-30-2009, 10:36 PM
What's the difference between Chris Brown, and Selvin Young?

Big Poundcake
04-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Make it happen.

I'd love to see Selvin come back to Houston.

False Start
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM
me too

Me three.

Killer Bee
04-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm hoping for Torain.

Iím in the same boat.

CloakNNNdagger
04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Basically, what I suspected. This just out.

UPDATE: We’ve been told by a league source that Young failed his physical.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/30/broncos-cut-running-back/

Well, the Broncos have 10 RBs still left on their roster.

bah007
05-01-2009, 12:22 AM
What's the difference between Chris Brown, and Selvin Young?

Age. That's the only difference I see.

Ole Miss Texan
05-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them bring Selvin Young in. I think he'd just be part of the mix through training camp. Not sure if he makes the 53 man roster but we'd have competition getting those spots behind Slaton. I'll be banging my "trade for Peyton Hillis" wish until yall can't take it anymore. I think adding PH would complete this offense and take it to elite.

TexansLucky13
05-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Age. That's the only difference I see.

I assume Brown passed his physical. That's the main difference.

mexican_texan
05-01-2009, 01:07 AM
We should go after this guy:

http://photos.upi.com/topics-Ryan-Moats/7b9c9033c657af55ba49fa4dfd5eb9e4/Ryan-Moats_1.jpg

mussop
05-01-2009, 01:54 AM
Chron Linkhttp://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/04/what_do_you_think_of_the_newes.html

I'll be stunned if the Texans aren't interested in running back Selvin Young, who was waived by Denver today. Young (5-11, 215), who grew up in Jersey Village, was undrafted coming out of Texas. The Broncos signed him because they thought he would fit their one-cut system.

As a rookie, Young started eight games and rushed for 729 yards, averaging 5.2 per carry. Last season, Young battled injuries. He had five starts and 303 yards rushing but averaged 5 yards a carry. In his two seasons, he averaged 5.1 yards in the same system the Texans use.

Anyway, I've got calls in to everyone to see if there's an interest, and I'll keep you posted.

ObsiWan
05-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Young's release is covered here...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61115

AnthonyE
05-01-2009, 02:26 AM

Wear and tear? He's going into his 3rd year. Right now we don't have any RBs outside of Slaton and Brown who have playing experience. And Slaton is the only one of the two who will probably contribute to the running game. I don't trust Brown at all, so why not bring in an experienced starter in the zone scheme? If he can get healthy and pass his physical in time for camp, I think the Texans would be pretty foolish to not give him a shot.

Norg
05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
HAHAH i came in here thinking Vince young i was like Ummmmm....

Ckw
05-01-2009, 03:05 AM
Anyway, I've got calls in to everyone to see if there's an interest, and I'll keep you posted.

Nevermind.

TexansSeminole
05-01-2009, 03:10 AM
So do you work for the Texans or know some scouts or something? No need to bull shit dude. That doesn't exactly make you cool around here.

The bit that you have quoted is from the article and John McClain.

Ckw
05-01-2009, 03:11 AM
The bit that you have quoted is from the article and John McClain.

Thanks man. It wasn't quoted and to be honest, I didn't bother reading the article.

RipTraxx
05-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Young (in age) proven ZBS back....i'll take him.

Mr. White
05-01-2009, 07:52 AM
We're one hamstring pull away from having a RB crisis.

It's after the draft now and we're still right where we were at RB. We just signed 2 UDFA's with injury histories.

We got lucky with Slaton. There's a decent chance that he won't produce this year as well as he did last year. Ever heard of the sophomore slump? Teams will be keying on him more and there's also a chance that he might get banged up.

Maybe S. Young's out of the picture now, but if Denver releases any more RB's, we'd better have somebody waiting for them at Denver International with a one-way ticket to Bush Intercontinental.

Polo
05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I've always liked Selvin...but I'm not into injured backs....

HOU-TEX
05-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I'll pass. We have sufficient time to find the guy that could help out more than Young would. Plus, neck injury = nothing to f--k with.

There will be teams trimming their rosters before camp. Even if we come up empty in the next couple months, there will be plenty of RB's to sift through come roster cutting time.

:texflag:

mexican_texan
05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
http://jemblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ryan-moats.gif

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/ryan_moats.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bPj66ZfFBcU7/610x.jpg

BigBull17
05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
http://jemblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/ryan-moats.gif

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/ryan_moats.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bPj66ZfFBcU7/610x.jpg

Agreed. Moats is the wild card. I like him alot as a back, and so does Kubiak.

Mr teX
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Let's see..he couldn't stay healthy at Texas & he can't stay healthy in the pros...we already have enough guys taking up beds in the training room, i wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole.

Texecutioner
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll pass. We have sufficient time to find the guy that could help out more than Young would. Plus, neck injury = nothing to f--k with.

There will be teams trimming their rosters before camp. Even if we come up empty in the next couple months, there will be plenty of RB's to sift through come roster cutting time.

:texflag:

Agreed. Young presents some talent back there and I'll admit that I have a special liking for him since he was a Horn, but he's just had way to many injury issues for me to feel like he'd be a good signing at this point. He isn't really that brusing RZ back that we've been needing either.

HOU-TEX
05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Agreed. Young presents some talent back there and I'll admit that I have a special liking for him since he was a Horn, but he's just had way to many injury issues for me to feel like he'd be a good signing at this point. He isn't really that brusing RZ back that we've been needing either.

Sure he is.......it's just that he's the one taking all the bruising. Hee, hee, har, har, chuckle, chuckle, giggle, giggle, pee in pants

drewmar74
05-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Crackin' yourself up, eh HT?

HOU-TEX
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Crackin' yourself up, eh HT?

Yessir, now until training camp is the worst for football fans and I can tell already it's going to be a rough one.

Eh, at least I have an MRI on my liver to look forward to next Wednesday .....:gun::gun::gun:

Mike Kerns
05-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Wear and tear? He's going into his 3rd year.

Wear and tear isnt always necessarily about just the years. Its about worn out bodies with nagging injuries also.

I know there may be some homerism in relation to Selvin, but I dont care about that. I dont want another guy with nagging injuries on the team. We "took a chance" with Ahman Green & Chris Brown and got what, 4 games between them?

Id rather give the youngsters a try is all Im saying. And even they have injury concerns...

Just my opinion, is all.

El Tejano
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Jordan Scott, RB, Colgate is just there waiting for us to pick him up.

Mike Kerns
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Jordan Scott, RB, Colgate is just there waiting for us to pick him up.

Isnt that the guy who got arrested for robbing someones dorm or something?

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Yessir, now until training camp is the worst for football fans and I can tell already it's going to be a rough one.

Eh, at least I have an MRI on my liver to look forward to next Wednesday .....:gun::gun::gun:

Hope your liver tests don't turn out like mine did. I'm having my gall bladder removed May 20.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Isnt that the guy who got arrested for robbing someones dorm or something?

Jordan Scott, RB, is THE MAN.

He'd be perfect in our offense.

Mari-OWNED!
05-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Jordan Scott, RB, is THE MAN.

He'd be perfect in our offense.

Never heard of this guy... Can someone point me in the right direction with a link of stats and whatnot?

spurstexanstros
05-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Neck injury.....oops never mind. we dont need injury proned backs....he might pull an ahman

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Never heard of this guy... Can someone point me in the right direction with a link of stats and whatnot?

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1695&path=football

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/jordanscottinterview.htm

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2007/12/breaking-jordan-scott-suspended.html

Carr Bombed
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Well hopefully McDummy has another brain fart and releases Peyton Hillis, because that's the guy I REALLY WANT.

CloakNNNdagger
05-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Well hopefully McDummy has another brain fart and releases Peyton Hillis, because that's the guy I REALLY WANT.

"McDummy":spit:will either earn his title by releasing him, or (and, unfortunately, I fear he does this) keep him but utilize him as a FB, not really realizing his greatest value as RB

HOU-TEX
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Hope your liver tests don't turn out like mine did. I'm having my gall bladder removed May 20.

Honestly, I'd be somewhat relieved if my gall bladder was the only issue. The spot on my liver was found by an ultrasound on the gall bladder and pancreas. The MRI is to hopefully determine what the spot (hopefully only one) might be.

I've had an MRI done on my knee before and it was no biggie. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle my whole upper body in the little tunnel. I suppose I'll find out if I'm claustrophobic or not.

The Pencil Neck
05-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Honestly, I'd be somewhat relieved if my gall bladder was the only issue. The spot on my liver was found by an ultrasound on the gall bladder and pancreas. The MRI is to hopefully determine what the spot (hopefully only one) might be.

I've had an MRI done on my knee before and it was no biggie. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle my whole upper body in the little tunnel. I suppose I'll find out if I'm claustrophobic or not.

Oh, dude. My ultrasound came back negative. Hope yours is nothing serious.

I've been inside the MRI machine a couple of times. It's not that bad... except for the time when I was getting a virtual colonography done and they were pumping my colon full of gas while I was in there. That's when I got claustrophobic and had a little panic attack. Luckily, they finished just as I was about to freak out.