PDA

View Full Version : It's 3rd and long...

joedinkle
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
How does our front 7 look? Although I think that Cushing will have the most impact on our defense of all the rookies, I think Barwin gives us the most flexability of all our defensive rookies. The question that we don't know the answer to, is who will start as the weak-side linebacker. Diles? Adibi? June? Also, how many 3-4 looks will we show? We've got the personnel to run this occassionaly. Here's what I envision for a 4-3 and a 3-4 on obvioius passing downs.

4-3, 3rd and long

Barwin------Smith------Okoye---------Williams

------Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles/Adibi/June

3-4, 3rd and long(I think this look will generate more of a pass rush)

--------Smith--------Okoye-------Williams

Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles-------------Barwin

How do you guys see us coming out?

whiskeyrbl
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Not in a 3-4.

El Tejano
04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I like the first way but i was thinking Smith would be next to Mario.

joedinkle
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Not in a 3-4.

Why? Come on, it's the off season and I'm bored. Give me a little more than "no."

Mr teX
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
How does our front 7 look? Although I think that Cushing will have the most impact on our defense of all the rookies, I think Barwin gives us the most flexability of all our defensive rookies. The question that we don't know the answer to, is who will start as the weak-side linebacker. Diles? Adibi? June? Also, how many 3-4 looks will we show? We've got the personnel to run this occassionaly. Here's what I envision for a 4-3 and a 3-4 on obvioius passing downs.

4-3, 3rd and long

Barwin------Smith------Okoye---------Williams

------Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles/Adibi/June

3-4, 3rd and long(I think this look will generate more of a pass rush)

--------Smith--------Okoye-------Williams

Cushing-------Ryans--------Diles-------------Barwin

How do you guys see us coming out?

If Barwin's on the field in the 3-4 set-up you have, he'll likely be the DE opposite Williams with Smith kicking inside...Okoye's the odd man out imo. Adibi will be the WLB.

joedinkle
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
If Barwin's on the field in the 3-4 set-up you have, he'll likely be the DE opposite Williams with Smith kicking inside...Okoye's the odd man out imo. Adibi will be the WLB.

At 256 lbs, Barwin is a linebacker in a 3-4. Okoye, Smith and Williams all have the weight and pass rushing skill to be our DL in a 3-4. I like this formation because it will confuse the offense(since we play most downs in a 4-3) and it puts our 7 best pass rushers on the field.

TimeKiller
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I fully expect hybrid looks in situations. Use the bullets you have, you know?

43/pass downs
Barwin Smith Okoye Williams
Cushing Ryans Adibi

34hybrid
Smith Okoye Bulman
Barwin Cushing Ryans Williams

joedinkle
04-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I fully expect hybrid looks in situations. Use the bullets you have, you know?

34hybrid
Smith Okoye Bulman
Barwin Cushing Ryans Williams

Ooooo, I like. :)

Mr teX
04-30-2009, 10:46 AM
At 256 lbs, Barwin is a linebacker in a 3-4. Okoye, Smith and Williams all have the weight and pass rushing skill to be our DL in a 3-4. I like this formation because it will confuse the offense(since we play most downs in a 4-3) and it puts our 7 best pass rushers on the field.

He's said that he's gonna put on a little more weight to gear his body to play football full time... that puts him at 260-265 lbs minimum.

He's also a hand-in-dirt pass rush guy & his self-proclaimed best attribute rushing the passer...speed, is taken away from him a little b/c he's 2-3 yards off the LOS. in addition to this, i'd venture to say that Adibi is better in coverage than he is right now b/c Adibi's been at it longer. Not to say that Barwin wouldn't be able to do it as effectively or better later in his career though.

Ryan
04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I think Mario would definitely play OLB in the 3-4. I don't see anybody having a chance at stopping him that way.

Ole Miss Texan
04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I think in passing situations, the DL will be something like:
Barwin--Smith--Okoye--Mario

I think one of the LBs leaves the field and we put on an extra DB.

I think SLB=Cushing, MLB=Demeco but the battle for WLB=Adibi/June. I think Diles is relegated to backup.

Question: In passing downs, if a LB leaves the field who will it be? I figured our LBs out there would be like Demeco and June. But from what Kubiak/Smith/etc are saying is that they see Cushing as an everydown LB.

Do Cushing and Demeco stay on the field no matter what? I thought June's strength was his pass defense.