PDA

View Full Version : NFL draft could get prime-time TV slot in 2010

Polo
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Didn't see this posted...

NEW YORK The NFL draft is big.

It could be getting bigger. Much bigger.

The NFL inched its annual draft toward prime time last weekend, starting the first round at 3 p.m. Dallas time. Next April, the NFL is considering giving the first round its own day and a prime-time television slot.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday the league was discussing the possibility of staging the first round of the 2010 draft on a Thursday evening, the second and third rounds Friday evening and the final four rounds Saturday.

The event would remain the cable television domain of ESPN and the NFL Network.

"We're more confident now, with the timing of the first round, that it can fit a 3-hour window," Goodell said. "We think it can be very appealing from a fan's standpoint and an audience standpoint.

"We'll talk to our teams about it. We have to see what impact this would have on them. But I think it has potential."

The NFL has been pondering such a move for a few years, but there was one major obstacle those cumbersome six-hour first rounds. Goodell and the league had to figure out a way to shrink the opening round to fit into an abbreviated prime-time window.

In 2007, teams were given 15 minutes apiece to make their first-round selections. The round lasted six hours and eight minutes. Too long.

Last year, the NFL reduced the time in the first round to 10 minutes per pick, shaving almost 2 hours off the round. This year, the first round lasted three hours, 23 minutes, fitting the targeted 3:30 time frame.

The NFL is ratings gold for television networks, so prime-time has been beckoning the draft all along. The opening day of the draft is fast becoming the second-biggest sports day of the calendar year after the Super Bowl.

That's logical. Not only does it attract the interest of the 32 NFL fan bases in the nation's largest cities, it attracts the fan bases of hundreds of colleges that play football. It's their players who are drafted, so fans of Florida, Ohio State and Southern Cal also have a vested interest.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/042809dnspogosselin.1183d684a.html

Polo
04-30-2009, 02:42 PM
No comments about possible changes to the draft?

HJam72
04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Good. That way everyone will know (part of) what made the Texans a juggernaut. :fans:

Polo
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Good. That way everyone will know (part of) what made the Texans a juggernaut. :fans:

Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I like it or dislike it...

I kind of like having a whole weekend to see the draft...I like waking up on that saturday morning and knowing whats on the schedule for the day...It's like draft day has become my new Christmas...
I also tend to have a lot of stuff to do on weekdays...Rockets might be playing....

On the other hand...the draft would happen sooner and it'd help the week go by faster...

:shrug: I guess it doesn't really matter though....

Silver Oak
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
why can't they leave good enough alone?

the draft is one of my designated home party events, and moving it to a weeknight wouldn't be the same. what they should be doing is looking at moving it around the country and get away from the asshat NYJ fans booing every other teams picks.

Texecutioner
04-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I like it or dislike it...

I kind of like having a whole weekend to see the draft...I like waking up on that saturday morning and knowing whats on the schedule for the day...It's like draft day has become my new Christmas...
I also tend to have a lot of stuff to do on weekdays...Rockets might be playing....

On the other hand...the draft would happen sooner and it'd help the week go by faster...

:shrug: I guess it doesn't really matter though....

Yeah, I agree with this only I was mad this year because it wasn't until 3 in the afternoon. I had thought it was a lot earlier before. THey need to have it really early so they can do at least 3 rounds.

Like you said Polo it's like the feeling when you were young on Christmas.

Texecutioner
04-30-2009, 03:14 PM

the draft is one of my designated home party events, and moving it to a weeknight wouldn't be the same. what they should be doing is looking at moving it around the country and get away from the asshat NYJ fans booing every other teams picks.

Totally agree there. It shouldn't have to be in freaking NY every year. They should move it around the country.

Hervoyel
04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
They are destroying everything I like about draft weekend. Taking one pick away from day one was a mistake. Moving day one to prime time on Thursday would be a bigger mistake.

Frankly I hate Roger Goodell. He's done nothing but make the NFL worse since the day he arrived. At least Tags knew (mostly) to not screw with all the great things Rozell got right. Goodell thinks he's got to leave his imprint on the league. He's wrong.

Polo
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
They are destroying everything I like about draft weekend. Taking one pick away from day one was a mistake. Moving day one to prime time on Thursday would be a bigger mistake.

Frankly I hate Roger Goodell. He's done nothing but make the NFL worse since the day he arrived. At least Tags knew (mostly) to not screw with all the great things Rozell got right. Goodell thinks he's got to leave his imprint on the league. He's wrong.

LOL...

I feel ya'....

And I didn't realize what it was until you said something, but it does feel a little incomplete without that third pick on day one...

HOU-TEX
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM

I feel the same way about the draft. I still don't really understand taking a round from day 1. They shortened the selection time, so why not leave rounds 1-3 on Saturday? Goofy!

I like how Goodell is making an attempt to clean up NFL players that are asshats. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see him become even more strict with his policy. IMO, he's allowed the Ass-man Jones saga to go much further than it needs to.

I'm not a fan of overseas games, but if it is making the NFL stronger as a whole I'm good with it.

I'm not really a fan of all the love the QB receives either.

I'm good with going with the 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games also.

Hervoyel
04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I sometimes think the only reason the 3rd round pick was moved to day two was to create a "gulf" between the first two rounds and everything after that to keep salaries of 3rd rounders down. I think that once we've seen a decade or so of this format (assuming it stays as it is) somebody should look at average salaries of 2's and 3's and see if the space between them has widened.

SF49erFaithful
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM

LOL. I actually like it in NY: Big city, media madhouse, and the Radio City Music Hall is an extremely nice venue. Remember how ghetto the one in Tennessee was?

I love it where it was, even if the NYJ fans boo every pick (including their own 3/4 of the time). :redtowel:

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I sometimes think the only reason the 3rd round pick was moved to day two was to create a "gulf" between the first two rounds and everything after that to keep salaries of 3rd rounders down. I think that once we've seen a decade or so of this format (assuming it stays as it is) somebody should look at average salaries of 2's and 3's and see if the space between them has widened.

They're already looking at changing the format. That's the purpose of this thread. 1st round on one day, 2nd and 3rd on another, and then the rest on the final day.

So, they're already putting the 2nd and 3rd rounds back together.

nunusguy
04-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't care too much about the format, but I wish NYC wouldn't continue to get to monopolize the location. I'd love to have it in Vegas, or somewhere in our region wouldn't be bad either.

Silver Oak
04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't care too much about the format, but I wish NYC wouldn't continue to get to monopolize the location. I'd love to have it in Vegas, or somewhere in our region wouldn't be bad either.

the city of the #1 pick would generate some great excitment I think. all jokes aside as to which teams would perpetually be in the rotation, I believe every NFL city has a venue to host this event.

Giant Tiger
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, if the draft is on a Thursday in primetime, I get to see the whole thing, so I'm for it. I worked this year on Saturday. I got home just in time to see New Orleans pick Jenkins. Good thing the draft didn't start at noon. I'd like to see it move around the country, though. Maybe the Super Bowl champion should host it.

Polo
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
They're already looking at changing the format. That's the purpose of this thread. 1st round on one day, 2nd and 3rd on another, and then the rest on the final day.

So, they're already putting the 2nd and 3rd rounds back together.

Yep....

Kaiser Toro
05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I would not mind them partitioning out the draft like this.

Polo
05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I would not mind them partitioning out the draft like this.

What is it that you like about it?

Or are you just 'meh' on the issue?

Speedy
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Agreed. Nothing worse than a new guy coming in and making changes just to make changes, to put his stamp on it. You don't try to reinvent the wheel.

I think more people tune in because of draft parties and such. Moving it to prime time will not get these people at draft parties, who would normally not tune in otherwise, to tune in. They're not going to miss their Daincing with the Stars, or Idol or whatever, to tune into the long, slow NFL draft.

NFL fans are going to watch regardless. But you're going to lose all those people who pay attention because someone's having a draft party, who otherwise wouldn't give a flip about it.

Dumb move Badell. Dumb move. That would be like moving the Pro-Bowl to the week BEFORE the Super Bowl. Oh, that's right, Badell did that too.

texanskan
07-23-2009, 04:04 PM
sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4351601

texanskan
07-23-2009, 04:05 PM
The audience for the NFL draft has been growing, and the league has responded by expanding the event from two to three days.

Commissioner Roger Goodell notified teams Thursday that the draft will be spread over three days in 2010, running April 22-24.

"We continue to look for ways to make the draft more accessible to more fans," Goodell said in a statement. "Moving the first round to prime time on Thursday night will make the first round of the draft available to fans on what is typically the most-watched night of television."

ESPN and the NFL Network will televise the entire show.

The first round will take place on Thursday, April 22, starting at 7:30 p.m. ET.

The second and third rounds will start at 6:30 p.m. ET on April 23.

Rounds 4 through 7 will be on April 24, starting at 1 p.m. ET.

More than 39 million watched the draft during the 2009 two-day broadcast.

Vinny
07-23-2009, 05:52 PM
good god that's just ridiculous.

Polo
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61074

rmartin65
07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Bah. Now another evening I need to clear my schedule for. I love the draft, but if this trend continues it is going to be a great inconvenience. I predict 7 rounds on 7 days in 25 years, any takers?

Speedy
07-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry, that's just stupid.

Not only are you taking it away from Saturday when everybody is having draft parties, but now you're putting it up against primetime TV right near sweeps time. I don't think you'll get anywhere near the ratings.

Yeah, let's have a draft party on Saturday for rounds 4-7.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with the NFL right now other than it's over active commisioner who seems to need to go out of his way to try and put his stamp on the league. You wanna lay the hammer down on guys getting into off-field trouble, fine. But the NFL is as popular as ever and you want to go and change things. Change that doesn't make much sense on top of it.

LEAVE THE FREAKING NFL ALONE!!!!! Leave the playoffs alone, leave the freaking Pro Bowl alone, leave OT alone, leave the damn draft alone!!! It all works perfectly already!! Leave it alone!!!!!

awtysst
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
This move is gonna cut down on viewers. The NFL is scheduling this at 730 EST on Thursday and 630 EST on Friday.

Guess what NFL, people live in other time zones! A 730 EST start means its 530 in the mountains and a 630 start is a 430 start! I guess the NFL does not realize that people actually work.

If this does occur, I think there are going to be a lot of people that do not watch the draft because of timing. I mean depending on how long the first round goes, you may miss all or most of it. Depending on day two, you could miss most of that as well. You could work a normal schedule and end up missing the first three rounds?! This is not a way to get more viewers, its a way to get less viewers. Plus, as has already been alluded to, this is TV sweeps time. Do you REALLY think an NFL draft can compete with American Idol?

As much as I love the draft, I cannot afford to take 2 days off from work or even leave early for it. And there are a lot of people like me. I might very well miss most of the first 2 drafts next year.

DiehardChris
07-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I hate this. Hate it. I love the NFL draft. I love that it starts on a Saturday morning/early afternoon and starts early on Sunday.

Prime time? JFC I hate that.

*stomps foot*

Speedy
07-23-2009, 09:02 PM
You know, the hard core fans are going to watch no matter when it's on. Having it on Saturday where people have draft parties, gets people who normally wouldn't be caught dead watching it, watching it.

You think these people are going to skip Dancing With the Stars, or The Bachelor, or Survivor, or American Idol or whatever shows come on on Thursday nights AT THE END OF APRIL when all of these shows are closing in on their season finales, and flip it over to watch a long boring draft show?

Not only no but HELL NO!!!

TheDrifter
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I could have accepted Friday-Sunday.

I mean, three days is getting sillly. But come on, I wanna throw back a couple with friends and eat some hotwings during the first round while we mock everyone else's picks. How am I suppose to get up on Friday after that?! :shots:

Plus...doesnt Grey's come on on Thursdays? Think of all the folks who will have to suffer through that with the SO, while the draft is on.

edo783
07-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Fubar

bckey
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Are you friggin kidding me. What kind of bonehead move is this. 1st round thursday night. 2nd and 3rd round friday night. Rest on saturday. Absolutely stupid move.

powerfuldragon
07-24-2009, 12:41 AM
the draft is always something i don't mind reading about afterwards. i don't need it eating more nba playoffs time on sportscenter. it's always the rockets highlights cut short.

Maddict5
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
on the bright side, the draft is now 2 days nearer every year :)

Goldensilence
07-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Not very happy about this. Terrible move. I was already going to have to fly back to BCS for the annual draft party, but the fact the first round is on Thursday is going to mess with my school schedule as well.I might still fly for the weekend now but there's little chance i could make day one.

I'm with Speedy, want to hammer bad players to clean the league up ok, I'm good with that but screwing up the draft is utter bullshit. In fact it's worse then that. It's simple rounds 1-3 on Saturday and 4-7 Sunday, why mess with something that doesn't just work, it's pefect. As in doesn't need any tinkering.

Why would you want to mess up everyone's draft weekend? I was a little upset about just rounds 1 and 2 on Saturday despite making the the time between picks shorter. At least we could still roll it up into a weekend extravaganza of bbq, beer, and making fun of other draft picks.

This is going to bomb in the ratings department terribly. In fact I think i might start a campaign to boycott watching it on Thursday.

Battle Red Flash
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
This is a terrible idea. Thursday night is a big night for TV viewers. That is the only reason NFL did this. Sat/Sun worked out great for us fans, but NFL does not care.
It's a ratings grab, but it won't work with me. You ruined my two day draft party, NFL, and I will not watch on Thursday or Friday night.
Book it.