PDA

View Full Version : Infectious Intensity

BattleRedToro
04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
With all the talk from the Texans coaching staff about increasing the intesity with the addition of Brian Cushing, and after watching this video (http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html) on the Texans website, it made me think if Cushing's attitude rubs off on the players around him, then the logical conclusion is that Matt Turk will take someone's head off this year, because his locker is right next to Cushing's locker.:wild:
:texflag:

Texsker
04-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Speaking of Cushing, here are some high school photos from his senior season. Kid was already pretty well put together, even back then.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x129/dhorwich/BRIANCUSHING7_301200.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x129/dhorwich/BRIANCUSHING7_30200.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x129/dhorwich/BRIANCUSHING7_302200.jpg

jjohns1
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
he needs to go back to that haircut

Hooston Texan
04-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Comparing that old photo to his current ones, it seems that Cushing, ironically enough, became more of a Jersey guy after he left the Garden State.

SheTexan
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM

NOPE!! He said himself he has a better year with it long. Besides, it's SEXY!!:)

Giant Tiger
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
With all the talk from the Texans coaching staff about increasing the intesity with the addition of Brian Cushing, and after watching this video (http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html) on the Texans website, it made me think if Cushing's attitude rubs off on the players around him, then the logical conclusion is that Matt Turk will take someone's head off this year, because his locker is right next to Cushing's locker.:wild:
:texflag:

Cushing's locker should be beside Jacoby Jones :thinking:

RipTraxx
04-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Cushing's locker should be beside Jacoby Jones :thinking:

Dunno about that. One more fumble on a punt return. Cushing my snap him in half.

gtexan02
04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Any guy who works out by lifting kegs is OK in my book.

Errant Hothy
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
NOPE!! He said himself he has a better year with it long. Besides, it's SEXY!!:)

You think the vets on this team are going to let him get away with that hair as a rookie?

Eric Winston, on Saturday, was saying that as soon as the pick was made he was recieving texts about the hair from the guys on the team.

El Tejano
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
You think the vets on this team are going to let him get away with that hair as a rookie?

Eric Winston, on Saturday, was saying that as soon as the pick was made he was recieving texts about the hair from the guys on the team.

Pretty cool that our guys still like to watch the draft even after being in the league a few years and being multi millionaires.

HJam72
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Pretty cool that our guys still like to watch the draft even after being in the league a few years and being multi millionaires.

I heard most of the players across the league watch it. Heck, many of them could be looking at their replacement (I mean sooner than later). :cool:

Mike Kerns
04-29-2009, 09:17 AM

I dont care if his hair is purple as long as he plays in the pros like he did at USC.

Why does no one on the team care about Dunta and his ridiculous hair?

jjohns1
04-29-2009, 09:21 AM

hah amen to that

awtysst
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM

I think you know the answer to that one.

mussop
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I think you know the answer to that one.

Yep, hate to say it but its borderline racism.

4Texans
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Absolutely!

Double Barrel
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I like Cushing's attitude. I think he's going to bring a lot to our defense, and I really look forward to seeing big improvements on this side of the ball.

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2009, 01:15 PM

There's a whole school of training based on that concept: lifting kegs, stones, bags of sand, etc.

It looks like DiFranco (the guy Cushing was training with since HS) bases his routines on strongman/powerlifting routines. They showed him training the squat with chains on the bar and that's a classic Westside PL training technique. (I don't really think it's all that appropriate for training most athletes because you do that to mimic the resistance you feel in a squat suit: lighter in the hole, heavier at the lockout.)

If that's true, then I doubt that Cushing got the training to really maximize his performance in things like sprinting like the guys who went to some of the camps that train guys specifically for the combine. And that means, Cushing is probably better than he tested because unlike a lot of the other guys, his scores aren't artificially inflated by learning techniques that just improve your performance in the test without improving your performance on the field.

I hope he gets more of the guys training like that at Reliant. :kingkong:

But... that's just me.

TimeKiller
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey, Cushing is obviously a workout nut and cares about what he's doing. I'd like to see how he takes to the yoga classes being offered at Reliant, I think he has a lot to benefit from by stretching out all those bulges and ripples. Conversly, I think there is probably something they could learn from him. He's obviously doing something right.

Hair included.

Mr teX
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM

now now...calm yourself woman!

False Start
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
OK, the deal with the hair... as long as he doesn't go David Carr on us and make some lame promise to cut it if we make the playoffs... its cool. :cool:

Texan4Ever
04-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe he should keep his hair untill the Texans loose a game, and then he has to go to a Army-style haircut!

badboy
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
NOPE!! He said himself he has a better year with it long. Besides, it's SEXY!!:)And he is not going to cut it until the team starts winning...oops. Flashback. Wrong player.

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

Joe Defranco has 2 amazing DVD's out concerning his preparation for athletic performance. They are not on the standard WSBB 4 day split, but rather a modified west side adaptation for athletes called west side for skinny bastards. You can look it up at Defranco's training systems.

Of all people you should really be the one most behind this - prowler pushes, strongman medleys, sport specific movements to improve football speed and strength.

The fact that Cush is a defranco disciple makes me LOVE this pick.

Second of all, chains in of themselves do not just work to mimic the tightness in the squat suit. The point is that it load + accomodating resistance more accurately reflects the natural strength curve. Powerlifters exaggerate this strength curve because of the suits. In other words, 2 chains per side is good for athletes. 4 chains per side is good for powerlifters.

Actually, I didn't think you disagreed that much with me.

I haven't been keeping up with current events and training approaches so, although DiFranco's name is slightly familiar, I don't know his routines. So I was just inferring from what I saw him having Cushing do. And I think I came pretty close. It's a Westside based system that employs some strongman stuff, which is what you said as well, right?

I wasn't saying that Cushing wasn't well trained by the guy, I was saying that his training was probably more oriented to building a better ball player than training that is just a bunch of techniques to maximize performance for just one test. In other words, that Cushing had more real-world application in his training than the guys that go to some of these Combine Training camps. Which I think you agreed with.

I love that he trains this way and said, in my post, that I hoped that his training approach and habits would spread to our other players. Which I think you agree with.

So, the last thing that we could possibly disagree about is the use of chains. But I think our disagreement here is pretty slight. You agree that PLers train with chains because it does mimic the suit. We just disagree on whether training with chains is necessarily better than training without chains for non gear using PLers. I think that training with chains is most beneficial for non-raw PLers.

For me, just because you're stronger at lockout doesn't necessarily mean that you should increase the weight there. It's not often that the weight of something is going to change as you push it. I mean, you can. It makes the squat harder and that's a good thing but I'm also fine with just doing straight on squats. If you want to work your lockout harder, then you can do partials at various depths.

OTOH, I don't want it to sound like I'm totally against using bands and chains for non PLers. I'm not. It's just not something I would normally do with someone I was training except as a change of pace to keep things fresh.

DocBar
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I hope TJ isn't the vaccine for this enthusiasm AND I think I'm gonna order P90X AND go hit the bowflex for a while. Cushing reminds me I look more like Super Mario ( the real one, not ours) than not.
:shades:

TexansFanatic
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Winston is as much a fan of the NFL as the members of this board. Very knowledgeable about players and the history of the league. He's on the fast track to being a top notch NFL analyst/broadcaster after his playing career.

DocBar
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Winston is as much a fan of the NFL as the members of this board. Very knowledgeable about players and the history of the league. He's on the fast track to being a top notch NFL analyst/broadcaster after his playing career. So easy a caveman can do it.!!!!
:spit:

Second Honeymoon
04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Winston is as much a fan of the NFL as the members of this board. Very knowledgeable about players and the history of the league. He's on the fast track to being a top notch NFL analyst/broadcaster after his playing career.

i don't know man....winston is one ugly mofo..

TexansFanatic
04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
So easy a caveman can do it.!!!!

i don't know man....winston is one ugly mofo..

:spit: You guys are brutal. Let's just say he's got a face built for radio.

BSofA04
04-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I bet Cush cuts his hair after the first week of training camp in the Texas heat!

SheTexan
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I bet Cush cuts his hair after the first week of training camp in the Texas heat!

That's what ponytails are for!! :) Truthfully, his hair style is nothing compared to some guys in the league. You all know who they are, I'm to lazy to look up how to spell their names! :hacker:

False Start
04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
That's what ponytails are for!! :) Truthfully, his hair style is nothing compared to some guys in the league. You all know who they are, I'm to lazy to look up how to spell their names! :hacker:

Atari Bigby for example:
http://superman1216.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/atari-bigby-7837951.jpg

BSofA04
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Very true. Players like Polamalu put him to shame.

TEXANRED
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Texans two high profile first round draft picks in Mario Williams and Brian Cushing, both of them have strong reason to hate Vince Young?

VY may want to try and push for a trade. Hell, Manning might want to get out of this division as well.

DocBar
04-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Atari Bigby for example:
http://superman1216.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/atari-bigby-7837951.jpg
Didn't she play play in one of those pirate movies with Johnny Depp?

DocBar
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Texans two high profile first round draft picks in Mario Williams and Brian Cushing, both of them have strong reason to hate Vince Young?

VY may want to try and push for a trade. Hell, Manning might want to get out of this division as well. Manning over Schaub? I dunno.... Ya think the deal's worth the draft picks?

whiskeyrbl
04-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Manning over Schaub? I dunno.... Ya think the deal's worth the draft picks?

You lost me here. Did you not understand the comment?

False Start
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Didn't she play play in one of those pirate movies with Johnny Depp?

I believe she did.......

http://www.kidreviewer.com/images/2007/May/pirates_calypso.jpg

threetoedpete
04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Texas humidity shetexan....maybe. I believe the hair issue will solve itself the first time an o-lineman reaches up and pulls him down by it and he fails to get a sack. I think Winston's plan is a poor one. No doubt they could get him down and do it......we lose a couple of folks to a summer camp prank....before the season starts.....Gary Kubiak will not be pleased. It'd be one thing if this were three years ago....but with expectations running so high for this year.....it would be mistake. The risk just isn't worth it. They want to shave someones head....that'd be Payton Manning and the other afc South QBs. They can scalp as many Colts Jags and Tacks as they want. the more scalps hanging in the locker room...the better. My suggestion to Winston would be if you want to do this.....wait until the hardware is on the shelf....then knock yourself out.

Drew_Smoke
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Because #23 will kick yer arse if you jack with his locks. I don't see the racism in that but then again, I am not that bright.

I already had it out wth some 'tard on another board about Cushing's high school pics. It was a romonian who said it is obvious he has been on the juice.

TEXANRED
04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Because #23 will kick yer arse if you jack with his locks. I don't see the racism in that but then again, I am not that bright.

I already had it out wth some 'tard on another board about Cushing's high school pics. It was a romonian who said it is obvious he has been on the juice.

I got my money on 56 knocking out 23.

I say we make it a PPV event. Get'em on WWE and make it a hair match.