PDA

View Full Version : High powered offense?

Mr. White
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
It's the effing offseason, so it means it's argument season. Please help me settle an argument here with a co-worker.

2 questions.....

1. What is the definition of a "high-powered offense?"

2. Do the Texans have one?

My argument: "high-powered offense" means an offense that favors the vertical passing game and is effective to that end.

His argument: a "high-powered offense" is effective in the red zone. They also make the playoffs. If your offense didn't make the playoffs, then it's not a "high-powered offense."

Ole Miss Texan
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
It's the effing offseason, so it means it's argument season. Please help me settle an argument here with a co-worker.

2 questions.....

My argument: "high-powered offense" means an offense that favors the vertical passing game and is effective to that end.

His argument: a "high-powered offense" is effective in the red zone. They also make the playoffs. If your offense didn't make the playoffs, then it's not a "high-powered offense."

1. Interesting question. I would say a high-powered offense is one like the Saints or the Colts. Lots of weapons, lots of big plays, moves the ball down field with ease and puts up some points. If a team did not make the playoffs, I think they still could have had a high powered offense. The Patriots have a pretty high powered offense but they missed the playoffs. The Cardinals of years' past still had a high powered offense but usually missed the playoffs.

2. Although we weren't as good in the points column I would say the Texans DO have a high powered offense. I think we're going to be better this year too!

El Tejano
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Just show him some of the teams that made the playoffs.

The Ravens - not a high powered offense.

The Titans - Not a high powered offense

Those two teams that I think of right off the bat do not score many points and rely on their running game and defense to win games.

bah007
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I would define a high powered offense as a unit that has the ability to take over a game. I think the Texans are capable of having that, but we have to be more effective in the red zone.

76Texan
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, lots of weapons!

A little more than a decent O-line or a good one.
A good QB who makes few bone-head decisions or a great QB who can make all the throws but might go gaga a bit more than here and there.

One great receiver and another good one, or two very good receivers.
Another guy who can get seperation in tight space, go across the middle, taking the heat, or avoiding it.
A nice TE who can find the open space, or muscle it up, and has good hands.
Another one who can block in both passing and running situations, unless you run the spread, then you need another good receiver.

A very talented RB plus a decent one to give him a breather, or a couple of good ones.

Well, we're almost there! :texflag:

pbat488
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
A high-powered offense is a unit that opposing fans talk about in fear in their own message boards before playing said team. I think the Texans are about there too.

Polo
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
A high powered offense is one that scores a lot.

The Texans don't have a high powered offense.

Texan_Bill
04-28-2009, 04:23 PM

To add to Polo's post,

A high powered offense doesn't turn the ball over in bunches.

The Texans don't have a high powered offense

76Texan
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, lots of weapons!

A little more than a decent O-line or a good one.
A good QB who makes few bone-head decisions or a great QB who can make all the throws but might go gaga a bit more than here and there.

One great receiver and another good one, or two very good receivers.
Another guy who can get seperation in tight space, go across the middle, taking the heat, or avoiding it.
A nice TE who can find the open space, or muscle it up, and has good hands.
Another one who can block in both passing and running situations, unless you run the spread, then you need another good receiver.

A very talented RB plus a decent one to give him a breather, or a couple of good ones.

Well, we're almost there! :texflag:
Boo me!
I forgot the all-important FB who has a great shot at the Pro-Bowl next year! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

NitroGSXR
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM

2 questions.....

That's a good question.

I'm with you... high powered means air raid.

Do the Texans have one? I don't think so. Scoring has to go hand in hand with the air raid. If they're not scoring then it's not an effective air raid. New Orleans and Texas Tech are perfect examples of a high powered offense.

badboy
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
High power moves the ball down the field by either passing or running plays designed to catch defense off guard;IE draws, quick slants or end arounds. Different than a high scoring team which could be high powered also. Texans are definitely moving right direction to be both.

I guess Texans could be a high power team as I am always asking the higher power to help them out.

Porky
04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Personally, I think you're both wrong and to an extent right. It's kind of like beauty - it's all in the eye of the beholder.

pbat488
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess Texans could be a high power team as I am always asking the higher power to help them out.

Hah that made me laugh. :spit:

76Texan
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
To add to Polo's post,

A high powered offense is one who can overcome those TOs better than we did.

So we're not there yet! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

jjohns1
04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
High power moves the ball down the field by either passing or running plays designed to catch defense off guard;IE draws, quick slants or end arounds. Different than a high scoring team which could be high powered also. Texans are definitely moving right direction to be both.

hahah good one

Mr. White
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's what I've been getting at.....we're attempting to define a pretty generic term that we hear all the time.

To my mind, "high-powered" does not mean "badass" or "unstoppable." It means an offense that passes the ball downfield effectively. By that definition, I believe we do have a high-powered offense.

jjohns1
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
florida gators are high powered.

houston texans are not.

Porky
04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Here's what I've been getting at.....we're attempting to define a pretty generic term that we hear all the time.

To my mind, "high-powered" does not mean "badass" or "unstoppable." It means an offense that passes the ball downfield effectively. By that definition, I believe we do have a high-powered offense.

I am more in the badass or unstoppable mode as far as defining it. But as I said, it's all up to each person's intrepatation. There is not really a right or wrong answer.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM

To add to Polo's post,

To piggy-back on y'alls posts.

A high powered offense can also pound on opposing defense's in order to put a game away in the 4th quarter.

Ole Miss Texan
04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Personally, I think you're both wrong and to an extent right. It's kind of like beauty - it's all in the eye of the beerholder.

Fixed it for ya.

False Start
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
The Cowgirls had some high powered offenses, hell a high powered team for that matter in the 90s.

The Texans are getting close, but they still have some work to do.

ObsiWan
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
In my mind the classic example of a "high-powered offense" was Dan Fouts and Air-Coryell back in the 80s.
http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/default/Fouts_Dan_Action_150-188.jpg

Mr. White
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
For what it's worth, the Texans' own website (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5176) says they have a high-powered offense.

About David Anderson re-signing.....

The Colorado State product liked the idea of returning to the Mile High State, but he preferred staying in Houston where he has become a key component of the Texans’ high-powered offense. Plus, coach Gary Kubiak was determined to keep the receiver.

jjohns1
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
For what it's worth, the Texans' own website (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5176) says they have a high-powered offense.

About David Anderson re-signing.....

hah good eyes