PDA

View Full Version : Gosselin says Texans had best Draft in 2009

nunusguy
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Quality from top to bottom. Top: Cushing was an All-Pac 10 linebacker and leader of the Southern Cal defense. Bottom: Nolan started only two seasons but intercepted 10 passes. Barwin and Casey bring versatility, and Brice has 4.33 speed.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/042709dnspodraftanalysis.41a7b13.html
Texans only team to get his A+ rating.

Mike Kerns
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Quality from top to bottom. Top: Cushing was an All-Pac 10 linebacker and leader of the Southern Cal defense. Bottom: Nolan started only two seasons but intercepted 10 passes. Barwin and Casey bring versatility, and Brice has 4.33 speed.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/042709dnspodraftanalysis.41a7b13.html
Texans only team to get his A+ rating.

Hope he's right...

beerlover
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
is he moving to Houston?

Rasputin
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Gosselin is one of the most respected, impartial NFL writers around, so this impresses me

Insideop
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
It bothers me when the NFL "experts" start saying we had the best draft or anything else for that matter. These were all the same "experts" that said we had one of the worst drafts in 06 because we picked Mario over Bush etc., etc... We see how that draft turned out. I guess I'm just use to hearing all their negative words against the Texans. :)

Playoffs
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Gosselin is one of the most respected, impartial NFL writers around, so this impresses me

Me, too.

The fact that I'm "ho-hum" on the Texans' draft combined with Gosselin's ringing endorsement makes Smith look even better this year.

Hardcore Texan
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
It bothers me when the NFL "experts" start saying we had the best draft or anything else for that matter. These were all the same "experts" that said we had one of the worst drafts in 06 because we picked Mario over Bush etc., etc... We see how that draft turned out. I guess I'm just use to hearing all their negative words against the Texans. :)

Well, to get an apples to apples comparison, we need to know how he graded our past drafts.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM

In all fairness, while most of the "experts" downgraded us because they were too busy servicing Reggie Bush to really take a good look at Mario, the majority of the reviews I remember from '06 were extremely positive about the remainder of the picks.

Yeah, I remember more than one report card that gave us a failing grade just based on passing up Reggie (and there's a special place in sportswriters hell for those people), but all in all, even with their track records, I'd rather have the so-called experts loving our draft as opposed to hating it.

hobie
04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Regardless of who graded it, let's wait 2 years !

HoustonFrog
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Here is what he said in 2006...a B

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/050106cpgosselingrades.8ad7df8d.html

Houston: The Texans had the best third round, finally addressing the weakest element of their team with offensive tackles Winston and Spencer. Both players carried second-round value into the third round.
B

gtexan02
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
He gave Cleveland an A+ in 2006.

Kamerion Wimbley - starter, 11 sacks as a rookie, only 9 since
D'Qwell Jackson - starter, tackling machine
Travis Wilson - bust
Leon Williams - good 07, didn't match in 08
Isaac Sowels - played in all 16 in 08
Jerome Harrison - minor role player, 5+ ypc, 1 td in career
DeMario Minter - bust
Lawrence Vickers - 3 year starter
Babatunde Oshinowo - bust
Justin Hamilton - bust

mussop
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I havent really had the time yet to look over everyones draft but the one that suck out the most to me was Philly. If they dont have the best offense in football in the next 2 years Ill be shocked.

Hervoyel
04-27-2009, 02:02 PM
He gave Cleveland an A+ in 2006.

Kamerion Wimbley - starter, 11 sacks as a rookie, only 9 since
D'Qwell Jackson - starter, tackling machine
Travis Wilson - bust
Leon Williams - good 07, didn't match in 08
Isaac Sowels - played in all 16 in 08
Jerome Harrison - minor role player, 5+ ypc, 1 td in career
DeMario Minter - bust
Lawrence Vickers - 3 year starter
Babatunde Oshinowo - bust
Justin Hamilton - bust

And that should more or less tell you everything you need to know about getting excited about draft grades.

Porky
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
And that should more or less tell you everything you need to know about getting excited about draft grades.

In fairness, even in hindsight that's not a bad draft. A+ no probably not. But maybe a B or B-. It's all a crapshoot anyway, so grades are meaningless. The only grade worthwhile is the one given after 3 seasons.

Mike Kerns
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
The only grade worthwhile is the one given after 3 seasons.

2006 - Reggie Bush is going to be the greatest of all time!!!

2009 - I still think Reggie Bush will be the best player in the 2006 draft!!!

http://www.yardbarker.com/media/6/1/6194ac08cc9b93549223694762937caa97842a3f/xl/mel_kiper_raging_hair_helmet.jpg

:headhurts: