PDA

View Full Version : Learning about the Texans new players

Texans_Chick
04-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I think instant draft grades are garbage.

Most of all I'm interested in learning and understanding a draft.

So, I've collected a ton of interesting info about the 2009 Draft Class in two blog posts:

Brian Cushing and Connor Barwin (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/houston_texans_virtual_draft_p_1.html)

A little on those guys and a draft wrap up including hot topics (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/2009_houston_texans_draft_revi.html)

I tried to summarize as much information as I could from the draft in two blog posts. To create a time capsule and an informational reading library for the draft in one area. It probably has a lot of stuff you already know, but maybe some stuff you hadn't thought about.

If you have cool links about the Texans draft class or have comments you think that go with the discussion, I ask you to put them in the second blog post.

I guess I'm one of those people that really finds it fascinating to look at old MB threads and old blog posts. And I love those threads where I read stuff and learn things I didn't already know.

Like for example, the Chronicle has said recently that Slaton wasn't familiar with the ZBS when he was at WV. That's not true, and I know that because of information I received from someone who talked about that.

Besides, what else are you going to do in the offseason. Dance like a banana? :splits:

Honoring Earl 34
04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks TC ... the beer I offered you yesterday was payment for this post .

Texans_Chick
04-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks TC ... the beer I offered you yesterday was payment for this post .

I like being paid in beer. :fans:

Honoring Earl 34
04-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I like being paid in beer. :fans:

I should be going to bed but right now I'm cramming Texans info and I don't have a test ... strange .

threetoedpete
04-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Well you would TC. If you don't understand something, you dismiss it out of hand. Want to impress the hell out of me....Tell me where is summit Mississippi. That would be right up your Alley.

It's a wise police to stay away from things you do not understand. But it is a fool who criticize things they have no feel for.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Like for example, the Chronicle has said recently that Slaton wasn't familiar with the ZBS when he was at WV. That's not true, and I know that because of information I received from someone who talked about that.

This is not the point of the thread but I laughed a little at this. WVU ran a zone blocking scheme when Slaton was there, pretty sure they still do. For the majority of the time that Slaton was there Rick Trickett was the o-line coach and he is known for the ZBS.

Interesting that the Chronicle would not have known that.

dalemurphy
04-27-2009, 03:25 AM
This is not the point of the thread but I laughed a little at this. WVU ran a zone blocking scheme when Slaton was there, pretty sure they still do. For the majority of the time that Slaton was there Rick Trickett was the o-line coach and he is known for the ZBS.

Interesting that the Chronicle would not have known that.

The Chron was probably trying to differentiate between our ZBS and the spread offense they ran in West Virginia. While the oline used zone blocking techniques, so much space was created by the spread formation that it was very different that what we ask Slaton to do for us.

Still, you're right that the Chron is lazy and sloppy and really doesn't concern itself with simply factchecking.

Texans_Chick
04-27-2009, 08:37 AM
The Chron was probably trying to differentiate between our ZBS and the spread offense they ran in West Virginia. While the oline used zone blocking techniques, so much space was created by the spread formation that it was very different that what we ask Slaton to do for us.

Still, you're right that the Chron is lazy and sloppy and really doesn't concern itself with simply factchecking.

Hmm, I dunno, you judge from context:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6372113.html

The Texans drafted Slaton even though he hadn’t played in their zone blocking system, in which the back gets the ball, makes one cut and takes off.

“You don’t see many colleges running the zone scheme, so you have to project,” Kubiak said. “We were fortunate that Steve became an every-down back and was able to stay on the field, but there were a few things that really stood out to us.

“First, he was so productive in college. Second, he was real bright. We figured he’d be able to pick up the system pretty fast. He also had good hands, and we were looking at him as a third-down back starting off.”

Steve Slaton's best year at WVU was when he was behind a ZBS line coached by Rick Trickett. Trickett copied the exact ZBS from Gibbs (http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/6/476812/steve-slaton-an-insider-s).

In any event, if any of you have any good links about the players, I'd really appreciate you dumping them in my second blog post. It's nice to gather them for the *library.* People have been putting links in various places over here, but it's nice to have them gathered in one place.

~crash~
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I am a broncos (well kind of sort of I don't like the new head coach at all )fan but I have followe the texans since gary came here ....

I think the teaxans had a great draft glad they did I plan on watch all the texan Games this year . I really am not to worried about watching the broncos any more I just don't like the coach at all .

nunusguy
04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
It's not often reported, but perhaps the leading reason Slaton left school early was because of teammate and freshman whiz Noel Devine, who took playing time from Slaton in 2007 and I'm told was on his way to being WVUs starter at RB in 2008.

badboy
04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
It's not often reported, but perhaps the leading reason Slaton left school early was because of teammate and freshman whiz Noel Devine, who took playing time from Slaton in 2007 and I'm told was on his way to being WVUs starter at RB in 2008.Thank you Mr. Divine from the bottom of my heart.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
It's not often reported, but perhaps the leading reason Slaton left school early was because of teammate and freshman whiz Noel Devine, who took playing time from Slaton in 2007 and I'm told was on his way to being WVUs starter at RB in 2008.

Or, it's because his coach bailed and went to Michigan. Which would be my guess. :tiphat:

TexansSeminole
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Or, it's because his coach bailed and went to Michigan. Which would be my guess. :tiphat:

His offensive line coach also left.

kiwitexansfan
04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I should be going to bed but right now I'm cramming Texans info and I don't have a test ... strange .

I know the feeling, my wife is appalled at the amount of inane information I can spout off about our UDFAs but can't remember to wish my nephews happy birthday.......

Go Texans:tiphat:

ObsiWan
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I know the feeling, my wife is appalled at the amount of inane information I can spout off about our UDFAs but can't remember to wish my nephews happy birthday.......

Go Texans:tiphat:

Maybe if your nephews were starting WRs for Florida...
:D

RipTraxx
04-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Thank you Mr. Divine from the bottom of my heart.

That kid was just as good as slaton. I remember watching him.

JCTexan
04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

I agree, I would say it's because his coach left.

I have wondered about Noel Devine, though. I think he would be successful in the Texans system, and would be a good compliment to Slaton in next years draft.

bah007
04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I agree, I would say it's because his coach left.

I have wondered about Noel Devine, though. I think he would be successful in the Texans system, and would be a good compliment to Slaton in next years draft.

Good luck getting him on the Texans. He has a checkered past, to say the least.

Devine had two children with two different women before he had even graduated high school (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is going to be brought up whenever he declares for the draft).

In 2004, his best friend was shot and killed when they went to some punk's house looking for a fight (the guy had been harassing one of their female friends).

He was nearly adopted by Deion Sanders but when staying at Deion's house in Texas he stole Deion's wife's Escalade and drove it to the airport so he could go back home to Florida (Deion didn't press charges and continued to try to mentor Devine and help him turn his life around).

His grades were so poor out of high school that he nearly had to go to prep school for a year but he just barely managed to qualify for West Virginia.

In February of last year, he and some WVU teammates were arrested for beating and stomping on two students outside a club. They all pleaded no contest.

The kid is a hell of a football player, but I wouldn't expect to see him anywhere around here.

JCTexan
04-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Devine had two children with two different women before he had even graduated high school (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is going to be brought up whenever he declares for the draft).

In 2004, his best friend was shot and killed when they went to some punk's house looking for a fight (the guy had been harassing one of their female friends).

He was nearly adopted by Deion Sanders but when staying at Deion's house in Texas he stole Deion's wife's Escalade and drove it to the airport so he could go back home to Florida (Deion didn't press charges and continued to try to mentor Devine and help him turn his life around).

His grades were so poor out of high school that he nearly had to go to prep school for a year but he just barely managed to qualify for West Virginia.

In February of last year, he and some WVU teammates were arrested for beating and stomping on two students outside a club. They all pleaded no contest.

The kid is a hell of a football player, but I wouldn't expect to see him anywhere around here.

I didn't know any of that. I've watched him play a few times, and he seems like he's a good RB that would fit the Texans system. He spelled Slaton pretty good at WVU, so he seemed like a good fit to me.

texasguy346
04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Anyone with NFL network might be interested in the Draft Journey show that's on right now. It follows Cushing, Stafford, and Crabtree as they prepare for the draft. Pretty interesting stuff.

bah007
04-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I didn't know any of that. I've watched him play a few times, and he seems like he's a good RB that would fit the Texans system. He spelled Slaton pretty good at WVU, so he seemed like a good fit to me.

He's a supremely gifted athlete. I understand why you think he would be a good fit.

I just saw his name come up and I remembered hearing a bunch of stuff about him when he was a high school senior. Turns out most of it was true.

JCTexan
04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
He's a supremely gifted athlete. I understand why you think he would be a good fit.

I just saw his name come up and I remembered hearing a bunch of stuff about him when he was a high school senior. Turns out most of it was true.

I have to scratch him off my list for next year then. :cowboy1:

HOU-TEX
04-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Anyone with NFL network might be interested in the Draft Journey show that's on right now. It follows Cushing, Stafford, and Crabtree as they prepare for the draft. Pretty interesting stuff.

I watched it. It was interesting.

I don't want to start any rumors or give anybody the impression I'm ghey or anything, but did anyone notice Cushings nipplers?

The only reason I bring this up is because back in the mid to late 80's steroids were the thing to do and "puffy nipples" were a telling side affect. I'm sure I'm reading too much in to it, but I thought I might stir the pot a bit. :)

Crabtree's Uncle was very annoying too.

barrett
05-07-2009, 03:02 AM
For someone who likes defense, I sure am excited about the possiblities with our TE's. Is anyone else thinking that we could become IMPOSSIBLE to defend offensively? I like the idea that Kubiak and Shanahan could be cooking up some really creative ways to use these guys. Even without Peyton Manning, I see the possibility of us having that kind of situation where it's like, you can't cover Johnson, Walter, Daniels, Casey and Slaton at the same time. There's no way.

Polo
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Before Noel Devine became a YouTube sensation, he lost both his parents to AIDS, witnessed a friend's murder, rejected Deion Sanders' attempts to adopt him and became a father of two.

His years of bouncing from home to home, which included a brief stop at Sanders' Texas ranch, eventually landed the former Florida prep star at West Virginia, where four games into his college career Devine has proved worthy of the hype that followed him out of high school.

In a way, Devine's journey comes full circle Friday night, 120 miles from where he grew up, when No. 5 West Virginia (4-0) will play at No. 18 South Florida (3-0) in a key Big East matchup.

"Look where he is now. It's a success, in my eyes," said James Iandoli, Devine's coach at North Fort Myers High. "I don't wish the path that he had to take on my worst enemy.

"I guess the old saying is, what doesn't kill you only makes you better. And I believe he's becoming a wonderful young man."

The attention of being a highly touted football recruit can be head-spinning to a 19-year-old, but it's not much compared to what Devine has been through outside of football. A past that the polite, shy Devine prefers not to talk about.

His father died when he was an infant and his mother was gone before he was 12. His maternal grandmother became his legal guardian, but he thought she was too strict and he moved in with the family of an ex-teammate.

As a teenager, Devine fathered two children with different mothers. He saw a 15-year-old classmate shot in December 2004 during a confrontation with a rival group. School officials brought the incident to the attention of Sanders, a 1985 graduate of North Fort Myers.

Sanders got to know Devine and brought him to training camp with the Baltimore Ravens in 2005. Devine then went to Sanders' ranch in Prosper, Texas, with the intent of starting over.

"We wanted to give him guidance and structure, something not afforded him at the time," Sanders said in a recent telephone interview. "We just felt that at that point in his life he needed a tremendous amount of structure and discipline."

With the approval of Devine's grandmother, Sanders intended to adopt Devine. But the teen quickly returned to Florida, leaving one of Sanders' sport utility vehicles at the curb at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, the engine still running.

"It devastated our family," said Sanders, who has remained in contact with Devine. "To get your family on board isn't easy. We made concessions . . . it was tough. You can't allow someone into your home without allowing them into your heart."

Devine, whose ability to change directions with little loss of speed has drawn comparisons to another Sanders - Barry - finished out his career where it started.

Recruited since he was a high school freshman, Devine's video clips made him an Internet prodigy, and a must-see for football fans on YouTube. He compiled 2,148 rushing yards and 31 TDs as a senior at North Fort Myers.

He also found trouble. A school confrontation prompted a two-game suspension and a locker room incident forced Devine to miss a postseason all-star game.

"He's no different than any other high school football player I've ever had," Iandoli said. "The only difference is he was in the limelight. He's national news and everyone wants to put it all over the paper. Everyone wants to pass judgment."

West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez said his only worry after getting to know Devine was about his grades.

"The school had a plan for him and he was very determined to make it. So we hung in there with him," he said.

Pushed by Iandoli and others, Devine avoided prep school by qualifying for NCAA eligibility on his third attempt at taking the ACT. He then set aside overtures from Bobby Bowden at Florida State and other schools and ended up in Morgantown, a decision Sanders let Devine make on his own.

"I didn't want to entice him. He would blame you for the rest of his life," Sanders said. "If it doesn't go well, he can't fault anyone but himself."

So far, it's been a great fit on the field.

The question over whether an offense with stars Steve Slaton and Pat White and bruising fullback Owen Schmitt had room for a 5-foot-8 freshman were quickly answered.

Fans gave Devine a standing ovation in the season opener and chanted his name a week later at Marshall.

"In West Virginia the people are a lot nicer," Devine said. "They treat you well."

In the third game, Devine's first two carries in the second half against Maryland went 31 and 76 yards, both ending on the 1-yard line. His third carry, an 18-yard gain, came despite being turned completely around by his face mask.

Devine finished with 136 yards on five carries and got a bear hug from Slaton.

Through four games, Devine has 267 yards and three touchdowns and has surpassed Slaton's accomplishments through the same time frame in his first season.

"This is more than expected," said Rodriguez, who prefers to bring his freshmen along slowly.

Devine also has seen a personal transformation. He's no longer withdrawn and shunning interviews as he did a year ago.

For football, his plan is simple: To stay humble.

"Nothing has changed. It's a team sport and I understand that," he said. "As long as we get the scores, that's all that matters.

"Not too many people know who I am. They think I am a small back and can't do too much. With me being short, guys can't see me. I see holes and I take it."

Sanders still text messages Devine every weekday, usually something spiritual or instructional. Not about football.

"I'm 40. I've been 18 and 19. He's never been 40 yet," Sanders said. "I made mistakes and I want to correct those mistakes through you.

"We thank God for how it turned out for him. He's exceptional."

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/sep/27/ncaa-football-tragedy-mixes-triumph-noel-devines-l/

When this kid was coming out of highschool I posted some of his youtube clips...they're around here somewhere, but if you haven't checked them out they are very entertaining...

JWarren14
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Not sure if this deserves its own thread but the Texans have signed FA S John Busing who was an UDFA signed by the Bengals in 06 and was a RFA this season, but Cincy declined to tender. Anybody got any scoop on him or just an extra body?

HOU-TEX
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Needless to say, I wouldn't expect Walker to be here much longer. Not the best way to start.

NORMAN, Okla. — Former Oklahoma offensive lineman and Texans signee Brandon Walker was arrested in Norman on a drunken driving complaint.

Norman police say Walker was detained early Sunday and transferred to the Cleveland County Detention Center. Walker started at guard for the Sooners the past two seasons. He wasn’t selected in the NFL draft, but signed a rookie free-agent contract with the Texans last month.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6430445.html

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Here's a little blog from Cushing about his diet.

I get six meals a day, the three usual ones and three snacks in between for a total of 6,000 to 7,000 calories a day.

I really never take a break, even though some people say that maybe I should. In my mind if I take a break that’s a day I haven’t gotten stronger, and I don’t want that to happen because the guys I’m playing against are working hard and they might be getting closer to me.

Isn't it wise to allow the body time to rebuild muscle tissue after workouts? I'm not sure working out everyday is a wise thing to do, but I guess if it ends up working out for him....go for it.

http://playerpress.com/articles/my-diet

Specnatz
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM

Isn't it wise to allow the body time to rebuild muscle tissue after workouts? I'm not sure working out everyday is a wise thing to do, but I guess if it ends up working out for him....go for it.

I am not work out guru but if you work out the arms mon wed fri and the legs tue thurs and sat and sunday do something else you are giving the body time to regenerate itself.

drewmar74
06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't want to start any rumors or give anybody the impression I'm ghey or anything, but did anyone notice Cushings nipplers?

:backsout:

HOU-TEX
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
:backsout:

:spit: Nice reaction time

The Pencil Neck
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Like everything lifting related, it depends.

Most olympic weightlifters train the same lifts 5-6 days a week. But they train at a relatively low volume and then vary the weights from light to heavy depending on how they've periodized their training. Most powerlifters will train bench 2-3x per week, same with the squat. But you have to be careful with volume and intensity to do that.

Most bodybuilders train bodyparts once per week (with very high volume), but for strength training and athletic performance, that's generally not a great idea.

From what I've seen and heard of Cushing's training (and Coach DiFranco's approach), it's based on the Westside powerlifting approach. You train with weight 4x per week with that system and then do GPP (General Physical Preparedness) training the other 2-3 days per week. The GPP part includes things like sled dragging, sprints, tire flipping, and stuff like that. But that's just for powerlifting. I'm sure that's been changed to reduce the powerlifting focus and move more work to the GPP sort of stuff and that GPP stuff is probably changed to movements more football related.

Also, most approaches suggest a week of reduced training or no training at all every 4-6 weeks so that you don't overtrain. Although Westside doesn't really do that (that I recall), I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some sort of deload built into his routine. But, when you're young, you can train more and harder than you can as you get older.

edo783
06-09-2009, 11:21 PM
But, when you're young, you can train more and harder than you can as you get older.

Yup, at my age I'm down to just 8-10 twelve ounce curls in anyone session.

Vinny
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM

http://playerpress.com/articles/my-dietI used to train every day but I'd schedule my workout around muscle groups. Pushing movements one day (bench, deltoids, pecs, triceps), and pulling movements the next (lats, biceps), legs and other core exercises on the third day...never working the same muscle groups two days in a row.

badboy
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
On Mondays, Weds & Saturdays, I train my legs by running to the bathroom around 3 am. Tuesdays and Thursdays I train upper body by yawning and stretching as long as I can hold it. On Sundays, I work the entire body by chasing women around the apartment complex. The latter is more difficult than you may think because most see me coming now and get a head start. Still the thrill is in the chase, at least for me. I try to sleep through the Sunday church service so I will be well rested for that afternoon's races.

barrett
07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
a few snipits from Brian Cushing's blog:

www.briancushing56.com

This team has some good leaders and a couple of guys I already know. Eric Winston hosted me with Greg Olsen when I was at Miami looking at colleges. It was my childhood dream to play there, but in the end USC was the best fit for me.

I’ll be back home in New Jersey next week, continuing to train and prepare for camp. I’m looking forward to signing my contract. I don’t know when that will be but I’m sure my agent is negotiating it right now.

I just want to get signed so I can go out there and start playing.

So I was really blah about drafting him because he seemed like kind of a douche and I was super excited about trading down and maybe getting Mathews. But more and more and more I'm starting to get excited about this intensity that he seems to carry. It really could become infectious. Just like winning and good press.

bckey
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
a few snipits from Brian Cushing's blog:

www.briancushing56.com

So I was really blah about drafting him because he seemed like kind of a douche and I was super excited about trading down and maybe getting Mathews. But more and more and more I'm starting to get excited about this intensity that he seems to carry. It really could become infectious. Just like winning and good press.

I felt the same way about Cushing Barrett but he has really won me over. I like his infectious attitude and his desire to play football. I really like the pick. And Barwin is icing on the cake.

barrett
07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Now that we like the people, lets see if we're going to like them as players...