PDA

View Full Version : Okoye ok

CloakNNNdagger
04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Okoye is Okay
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 23, 2009, 9:45 p.m.

After undergoing a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his aching knee, Houston Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye recently learned that there aren’t any structural problems, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Doctors have recommended that the 6′2,” 306-pounder should simply rest the knee.

Team officials directed Okoye to have tests done after he experienced soreness in his knee following workout sessions.

A 21-year-old former first-round draft pick from Louisville, Okoye started a dozen games last season and recorded 24 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble.

As a rookie, Okoye finished with 32 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks in 14 starts.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Mari-OWNED!
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Well that's good news! :goodpost:

IMA TEXAN
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
After undergoing a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his aching knee, Houston Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye recently learned that there aren’t any structural problems, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Doctors have recommended that the 6′2,” 306-pounder should simply rest the knee.
Team officials directed Okoye to have tests done after he experienced soreness in his knee following workout sessions.

I just hope he isn't coming down with the dreaded T-Mac-itis.

GuerillaBlack
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Hurray!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/mrpinellas/1237977458_thumbsup-terminator.gif

TexansFanatic
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
His knees started aching after running. Seems to me he should quit running. Aren't there ways of getting conditioned without running? How about the stationary bike?

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Don't do that!"

(Thank you, Henny Youngman.)

barrett
04-23-2009, 11:28 PM
So glad that the local news caught this for us avid fans. I'll never understand it. Never.

HOU-TEX
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Told ya, he just wanted to get out of running. What lineman doesn't? lol

badboy
04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if Okoye could return to his rookie year stats? Maybe with Smith next to him?

HOU-TEX
04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if Okoye could return to his rookie year stats? Maybe with Smith next to him?

If he couldn't do it with Mario next to him, why would he be any better with AS next to him?

IMO, he needs to be better than his rookie stats.

Polo
04-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Amobi needs to become a man this season.

drewmar74
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/gundy.jpg

This guy agrees.

"Amobi is a 22 year old man!"

Double Barrel
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM

I agree. And if he doesn't, he's got an excuse to fall back on. "Remember my aching knee problem back in April?".

Plus, he's a 'project player' and all, so he might need 4-5 more years to develop. ;)

drewmar74
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree. And if he doesn't, he's got an excuse to fall back on. "Remember my aching knee problem back in April?".

Plus, he's a 'project player' and all, so he might need 4-5 more years to develop. ;)

Should we give him his extension now or later?

BigBull17
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah. In a huge way.

Cjeremy635
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I was thinking that as I was reading the post. Surprising he regressed that much. (sophomore slump?) Hopefully he'll surpass those stats easily this year.

badboy
04-24-2009, 01:14 PM
If he couldn't do it with Mario next to him, why would he be any better with AS next to him?

IMO, he needs to be better than his rookie stats.It was the spot on the other side that will make the whole line better. The purpose of signing Smith was take some pressure off MARIO to make him better. If he can improve with Smith replacing our former DE should not Okoye be allowed the chance to improve? Let's also not forget that Okoye had a severe high ankle sprain. I have often posted that this will be his season to make it or break it, but I always post in fairness.

Polo
04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
I think Weaver actually got worse during his tenure with us...He also seemed to have gained weight which didn't help his mobility any...

Has Weaver signed with anyone else?

RipTraxx
04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Okoye hasnt produced IMO, because we werent playing to his strengths.....He is a one gap, penetrating DT. As opposed to guys like Henderson, Stroud, and the Williams boys with the Vikings. Considering that at 20 years old, in a HORRIBLE defensive scheme (read n react), he was SECOND in the AFC in sacks.........i've got faith. :defense:

Vinny
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I think Weaver actually got worse during his tenure with us...He also seemed to have gained weight which didn't help his mobility any...

We are the elephant graveyard for players...once they get cut here only a small fraction ever get out of the tar pit.

Ok, that was a joke. But seriously folks, I take issue with Weaver and his poor mobility. He took .25 seconds off his backpedal during his tenure here.

Polo
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Okoye hasnt produced IMO, because we werent playing to his strengths.....He is a one gap, penetrating DT. As opposed to guys like Henderson, Stroud, and the Williams boys with the Vikings. Considering that at 20 years old, in a HORRIBLE defensive scheme (read n react), he was SECOND in the AFC in sacks.........i've got faith. :defense:

I don't think read and react is a horrible scheme if you have the right players to do it. I also don't like a read and react type defense in a 4-3. I don't think there are enough linebackers on the field...

But about Amobi...I too think he will be better in the new penetrating style scheme, but I cannot blame his dissapearance last year on the scheme...

The conditions weren't ideal, but adapt and survive. Don't adapt and you die. It's that simple.

Also, he played in the exact same scheme as a rookie...He seemed to make plays then when he was hungry coming out of college...

By his own admission he pretty much didn't work as hard as he should have last off-season...

Amobi didn't do well last year because of himself...I'm a big supporter of his, but I'm not attached to any of the players...He sucked last year own his own merit...That kinda dissapointed me because I think he is very talented...

Vinny
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I
But about Amobi...I too think he will be better in the new penetrating style scheme, but I cannot blame his dissapearance last year on the scheme...

If he didn't get beat so much in one on one situations, on obvious passing downs, where he isn't reading and reacting, I'd blame his lack of production on scheme too...but like you, I don't buy it either.

RipTraxx
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
As a former defensive lineman i can say first hand, coming out of a 3 point stance with a high ankle sprain (which i too have had) is damn near impossible. Since his game is predicated on his explosion i can understand...

Amobi + healthy ankle + right scheme = at LEAST the 6 sacks.

HOU-TEX
04-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Heck, I don't care much of his sack numbers as I just want him to be a nuisance in the backfield.

Maddict5
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
i dont get it. if all it needed was rest, why has it become an issue this early when hes been resting it for months and has only started conditioning? or did he manage to hurt it the first few days back?

dalemurphy
04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
If he didn't get beat so much in one on one situations, on obvious passing downs, where he isn't reading and reacting, I'd blame his lack of production on scheme too...but like you, I don't buy it either.

He was bad last year, no doubt. And, frankly, I haven't seen enough from him to be confident that he will become a good player. That being said, I trust Rick Smith's evaluation of him two years ago. The kid is very young and has been playing for possibly one of the worst DCs in modern NFL history. So, I think, it's still pretty likely that he becomes an asset on the DL. I'll start worrying around October if his lack of production is similar to last season's.

CloakNNNdagger
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM

As Vinny would put it, he's still looking for a way to get out of the tar pit.

Insideop
04-24-2009, 03:54 PM
We are the elephant graveyard for players...once they get cut here only a small fraction ever get out of the tar pit.

Ok, that was a joke. But seriously folks, I take issue with Weaver and his poor mobility. He took .25 seconds off his backpedal during his tenure here.

:spit:

That was cold man! :shades:

RipTraxx
04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
He was bad last year, no doubt. And, frankly, I haven't seen enough from him to be confident that he will become a good player. That being said, I trust Rick Smith's evaluation of him two years ago. The kid is very young and has been playing for possibly one of the worst DCs in modern NFL history. So, I think, it's still pretty likely that he becomes an asset on the DL. I'll start worrying around October if his lack of production is similar to last season's.

He's STILL younger then a lot of incoming rookies.......