PDA

View Full Version : Except AJ....is this the worst draft ever??????

BOLIO
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
2003 " Ya know, the Good Old Days were not really that good!"

I remember being very excited about AJ (as I should have been).
Dang. The only other player that produced was Davis. We could not afford drafts like this in our early stages of our franchise.

Round/Pick Player Position College
1/3 Andre Johnson Wide receiver Miami (FL)
2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru Tight end Michigan
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings Running back Georgia Tech
3/67 Antwan Peek Linebacker Cincinnati
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand Offensive tackle NW Missouri State
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone Quarterback Louisville
4/101 Domanick Davis Running back LSU
6/192 Drew Henson Quarterback Michigan
6/214 Keith Wright Defensive tackle Missouri
7/217 Curry Burns Safety Louisville
7/233 Chance Pearce Center Texas A&M

What made it worse was we followed it up the next year with:

1/10 Dunta Robinson Cornerback South Carolina
1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin Defensive end Western Michigan
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame
6/170 Vontez Duff Cornerback Notre Dame
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord Running back Nebraska
7/210 Raheem Orr Linebacker Rutgers
7/211 Sloan Thomas Wide receiver Texas
7/248 B.J. Symons Quarterback Texas Tech

No wonder we were drafting first again. What was our front office thinking????

infantrycak
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
That really should be except AJ and DD. Running your knee out for the team shouldn't detract from your contribution and no offense to AJ (mainly because of HWWNBN), but for DD we probably lose around 10 more games during his tenure.

Ole Miss Texan
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd say 2004 was the worst draft we had... but '03 and '04 are close.

2003 we got Andre (best WR in the league), Peek (okay i'm reaching but he had like 6 sacks in '05!), Wand (maybe I'm reaching but he was alright and started a decent bit), Davis-Williams who was just about a thousand yard rusher each year... and Drew Henson (6th round pick we later traded for a 3rd rounder).

In 2004 we got Dunta Robinson who has been great for our team... but Andre > Dunta. The trade for Babin is what makes this draft so horrible. Glenn Earl while not that great was a solid contributor for the team. And Charlie Anderson- I was a huge fan of his... mostly special teams guy which gets overlooked.

drewmar74
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM

1/3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (FL) - Awesome
2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru TE Michigan - Sad story
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings RB Georgia Tech - Ouch
3/67 Antwan Peek LB Cincinnati - Meh
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand OT NW Missouri State - Ouch
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone QB Louisville - Ouch Ouch
4/101 Domanick Davis RB LSU - Hell of a value for a 4th rd pick
6/192 Drew Henson QB Michigan - Essentially a 03 6th for a 05 3rd.
6/214 Keith Wright DT Missouri - Who? Apparently our DT woes predate our 1st round selections
7/217 Curry Burns S Louisville - zzzzzz - hey, he is the half brother of Elvis Dumervil. A Denver connection that predates Kubes!
7/233 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M - zzzzz

1/10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina - Others available at that pick: Ben Roethlisberger, Jonathan Vilma, Tommie Harris, Steven Jackson....
1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin DE Western Michigan - *vomits on keyboard*
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame - meh
6/170 Vontez Duff CB Notre Dame - ouch - Jacques Reeves still available. Dexter Wynn, too
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord RB Nebraska - ouch ouch. Shane Olivea and Patrick Crayton still available here.
7/210 Raheem Orr LB Rutgers - ouch ouch ouch - Wes Welker undrafted and available.
7/211 Sloan Thomas WR Texas - OUCH! Willie Parker still out there
7/248 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech - HAAHAHAHAHA! At least we were smart enough to pass on Bradlee Van Pelt (who Denver took with the next pick!)

:specnatz:

Hooston Texan
04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
You should add 2005 in right after it: Travis Johnson, Vernand Morency, Jerome Mathis, Drew Hodgdon, CC Brown and Kenneth Pettway. We came out of that draft with a one-year-wonder kick returner and one of the most hated players in Texans' history. Well played.

Frankly, I think the 2003 draft was the best one we had had from 2003 to 2005. AJ is AJ; DDW was a great pick in the fourth round; Peek was semi-useful; and Casserly's avowed plan to use a late-round pick on Henson in hopes of later trading him panned out when the Cowboys coughed up a third in 2005 for him (which we promptly blew on Morency). Joppru was bad luck.

A team in its second year needed far more than what we got in 2003. But 2003 was a freaking gold mine compared to what we drafted the next two years (apologies to Dunta).

BOLIO
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
When I see CC on the NFL network, I think about some of the stuff he pulled here. How does that guy pull that gig out of his hat? I guess people around the country still think of what he did before arriving to Houston????

I will give him the same credit for the 06 draft.... as I give him the blame for these drafts. But, Kubes may have been more of a driving force than most HCs vs the GM, due to CC being a "lame duck". I don't know. But with drafts like 03-05, it is a wonder we won as many as we did......The last three drafts have been much better IMHO. What was missing with the last three drafts? CCs future with the club.

Here is to the next three being more like the last three drafts!!!!:fans:

TimeKiller
04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I wasn't the biggest Texan fan in those times, I caught a few games and went to 1 but looking back...I've never even heard of Vontez Duff or any of that draft after him so 04 has to be the worst.

Texecutioner
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
That really should be except AJ and DD. Running your knee out for the team shouldn't detract from your contribution and no offense to AJ (mainly because of HWWNBN), but for DD we probably lose around 10 more games during his tenure.

Good point and I was going to say the same thing Icak, but I don't know about 10 games. You have to remember that we were struggling just to win like 5 at the time. Lol!

I always thought DD's most impressive year was the season we went 2-14, because I was amazed at how he managed to get 1,000 yards with that horrible O line. DD was the freaking man.

wags
04-20-2009, 05:48 PM
We passed on Jason Witten for Bennie Joppru. As an SEC fan I remember wondering what Joppru had over Witten...

ATXtexanfan
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM
i can't remember anything before 06

Texan4Ever
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
We passed on Jason Witten for Bennie Joppru. As an SEC fan I remember wondering what Joppru had over Witten...

Joppru was a stud at Michigan and an excellent blocker, he was plagued with injuries therefore unable to reach his potential.

TexanAddict
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I think the main problem with those early drafts was taking fliers on project players, instead of guys with a proven track record in college. For example:

Tony Hollings - Gave up a 2nd for a player that had converted to RB from DB and played a whopping total of 4 games before suffering a serious injury. Dumb.

Antwan Peek - Very athletic, but coming from a smaller conference and making a position change. I know most outside LBs in the 3-4 are DEs in college, but it seemed like a lot to ask in this case.

Dave Ragone - Not a project, but with HWWNBN and Tony Banks already at QB, the 3rd seems early to make a luxury pick on who they had to hope would be nothing more than a backup QB.

Drew Henson - Gambled that he would quit playing baseball and come back to football. He did and the Texans were able to trade him for a 3rd. But, the Texans with the holes they had at the time did not have the luxury to take such risks

Jason Babin - Traded a ridiculous number of picks to a division rival to pick another small school product being asked to make a position change.

Glenn Earl - Player coming of a knee injury and surgery

Jammal Lord - College QB asked to make a position switch to S

Far too many risks for a team that did not have that much room for error.

nunusguy
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Joppru was a stud at Michigan and an excellent blocker, he was plagued with injuries therefore unable to reach his potential.

Joppru was plagued by injuries only after entering the NFL as I recall ?
What an unlucky guy. I dunno, he's probably out of the league by now ?

TexansFanatic
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Good Lord, those are some ugly drafts. Looking at them right now I can't believe how bad they were.

drewmar74
04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
What shocked me was the number of impact players that were still on the board. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but dammit, couldn't we hit on one or two talented players?

Hardcore Texan
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Damn, I forgot I blocked all that out......a couple of horrible drafts righ there, need. Amazing we are just now overcoming those setbacks.

TexansFan33
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
2003 " Ya know, the Good Old Days were not really that good!"

I remember being very excited about AJ (as I should have been).
Dang. The only other player that produced was Davis. We could not afford drafts like this in our early stages of our franchise.

Besides AJ and Dunta who were 1st rounders, everyone else on this list was a BUST!

2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru Tight end Michigan
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings Running back Georgia Tech
3/67 Antwan Peek Linebacker Cincinnati
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand Offensive tackle NW Missouri State
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone Quarterback Louisville
4/101 Domanick Davis Running back LSU
6/192 Drew Henson Quarterback Michigan
6/214 Keith Wright Defensive tackle Missouri
7/217 Curry Burns Safety Louisville
7/233 Chance Pearce Center Texas A&M What made it worse was we followed it up the next year with:

1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin Defensive end Western Michigan
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame
6/170 Vontez Duff Cornerback Notre Dame
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord Running back Nebraska
7/210 Raheem Orr Linebacker Rutgers
7/211 Sloan Thomas Wide receiver Texas
7/248 B.J. Symons Quarterback Texas Tech

No wonder we were drafting first again. What was our front office thinking????

Man both those drafts were atrocious, pretty much sums up Casserly's horrible decision making I cant believe Casserly still has a job on NFL Network a talent evaluator....

TigerV1
04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Damn, I forgot I blocked all that out......a couple of horrible drafts righ there, need. Amazing we are just now overcoming those setbacks.

So here's to a (hopefully) GREAT '09 Draft!!!

HOU-TEX
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
The Ragone pick was awesome! :rolleyes:

I've yet to figure out what we were thinking with that gem.

Goldensilence
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
All in all. Wow. But hey Casserly gets the ok with the media because of Mario pick without looking at the complete garbage job he did before the 2006 draft.

The only thing that makes me feel better is this :

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=100095

drewmar74
04-21-2009, 10:55 AM
All in all. Wow. But hey Casserly gets the ok with the media because of Mario pick without looking at the complete garbage job he did before the 2006 draft.

The only thing that makes me feel better is this :

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=100095

Wow. I thought some of our drafts were bad. Looking at that helps to explain 0-16....

I mean, you really have to lay a foundation of crap to get to 0-16.

TEXANRED
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
2007 was just as bad.

1st Amobi

2nd N/A

3rd Jacoby Jones

4th Fred Bennett

5th Brandon Harrison

5th Brandon Frye

6th Casey Studdard

7th Zac Diles

Of course this is the 3rd year so we will see. But based on last years performance and a major leg injury to Diles, this draft could go down as one of the worst in Texans history.

Goldensilence
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
2007 was just as bad.

1st Amobi

2nd N/A

3rd Jacoby Jones

4th Fred Bennett

5th Brandon Harrison

5th Brandon Frye

6th Casey Studdard

7th Zac Diles

Of course this is the 3rd year so we will see. But based on last years performance and a major leg injury to Diles, this draft could go down as one of the worst in Texans history.

Still got a year before we can know. I think Amobi will do much better ina scheme that takes advantage of his quickness instead of making him into standup DT. This is Jacoby's last stand, if he can at least be a competent WR and contribute in the return game he might stick, I have strong doubts though. Please no more small school projects in the third! I think Bennett will rebound under Gibbs. The secondary under Hoke has been a DB graveyard. Even if he doesn't come back %100 this year having him as reliable depth in the 7th round is great. Gotta count Matt Schaub as that second though. Potential in the top four picks to make up.

Brando
04-21-2009, 11:22 AM

ouch

DocBar
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
CC was and is in love with CC. He always wanted to find some hidden gem that turned into a HOF player so he could show how smart he was. He may have had some success with that in Washington, but they had a much stonger HC in Gibbs than DC ever was AND a lot more wriggle room to play with because they were a talented team when he was with them. What the heck is HWWNBN or whatever???

The1ApplePie
04-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Babin instead of Bob Sanders...

Amobi over Pat Willis may turn out to be just as bad

Ckw
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
2007 was just as bad.

1st Amobi

2nd N/A

3rd Jacoby Jones

4th Fred Bennett

5th Brandon Harrison

5th Brandon Frye

6th Casey Studdard

7th Zac Diles

You are absolutely nuts if you think the 07 draft was anywhere close to as bad as 04 or 05. Amobi still has something to prove and has been a letdown so far. Jacoby Jones has shown flashes but just does not appear to have the work ethic. Fred Bennett had a great rookie season and a below average sophomore season, but I will put money on a better performance from him this year. Harrison, Frye, and Studdard have done nothing I agree, but Diles in the 7th was a steal. He has been a very serviceable starting LB, and you cannot hold his injury last season against him. Before the injury, he was our leading tackler. Once again, the 07 draft is in no way comparable to the atrocities of 03-05.

Insideop
04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
2007 was just as bad.

1st Amobi

2nd N/A

3rd Jacoby Jones

4th Fred Bennett

5th Brandon Harrison

5th Brandon Frye

6th Casey Studdard

7th Zac Diles

It's to early to tell. Just too many ? to say it was a bad draft. All are still with the team except Frye, who was picked off our practice squad by Miami and played in 7 games for them. Amobi, Bennett and JJ need to have good years this year and Diles needs to bounce back from injury for this class to be considered OK. Studdard and Harrison may end up being career backups. Both could lose their jobs this year if we get better players in the draft. JMHO!

barrett
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
god I hope that Harrison and Studdard are gone by September! They are terrible. Frye was looking pretty good actually when I watched him during the preseason. He seemed to be really taking to the ZBS. I guess they had to pick between Butler and Frye and the chose to go with Butler. (I can't remember when or if Butler was activated) I would have loved to have both of them in camp again this year. One of them would have really benefited from the competition.

As much as I hate to say it I wish we would have cut Salaam and kept them both on the roster so they would be protected. But I suppose that Salaam was more of a mentor to Brown than anything.