PDA

View Full Version : Texans 06 Draft: Grades are in.

Tailgate
04-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Couple of props from Houston over the past 2 days from Boston Globe. We have known for a while now that our 2006 draft was turning out to be the best in the NFL. Seems others now agree.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/04/19/grades_are_in_for_class_of_06/

Excellent
Houston*: Remember the debate over whether the Texans should select running back Reggie Bush first overall? They get extra credit for going against the grain and drafting impressive defensive end Mario Williams. Linebacker DeMeco Ryans (second round) and tight end Owen Daniels (fourth round) were also finds, offensive lineman Eric Winston (third round) is a solid starter, and receiver David Anderson (seventh round) could still develop. In Charley Casserly's final draft, they decisively took advantage of picking atop each round.

Tailgate
04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
The Generals take and makes his case for Casserly...

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/04/three_years_later_texans_draft.html

No matter what you think of Casserly, he and Kubiak worked well in their one draft together. Defensive end Mario Williams was signed before the draft. It was Casserly, by the way, who got Kubiak and owner Bob McNair off of running back Reggie Bush and on to Williams.

Hervoyel
04-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I know the 2006 draft was great but even if we give him all the credit for everything good about that draft it still doesn't make up for the lousy 4 drafts prior to that.

beerlover
04-20-2009, 12:21 AM
maybe its more a reflection of the talent base? 06 was a great draft to have the 1st pick each round & two @ the top of the third. it would be very depressing if they had not taken advantage of this situation :texflag:

if I remember they wanted their 1st pick signed prior to the draft & Mario was more willing than Bush to agree on terms that determined the pick as much as anything because they where rated virtually equal.

DeMeco was dumb luck he fell & they needed LB help.

Protection for their precious QB needed to address tackle in spades so they took two.

Billy Miller era ended & had to find his replacement.

whatever happend to Wali Lundy?

David Anderson was a solid choice, Kubiak made from Colorado State

this was more about sucking hard & adjusting late flight than forward thinking on his part :specnatz:

GP
04-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Casserly had two people to choose from: Bush or Mario. It is generally, yet arguably, common knowledge that VY was not even an option. I remember VY openly talking about how he couldn't understand that he was not even in the equation with the Texans, that he had been ruled out ahead of time. I think this was when he was on the Leno Show, if I remember correctly.

So...he chose Mario over Bush. Big whoop. Like it's been said: He had all those previous drafts to answer for. Outside of AJ, which even I felt was the best "sure thing" on draft day (Who actually felt Charles Rogers was better? Eeek!) and striking gold on Domanick Davis out of nowhere, what else is there from the Casserly era?

The Jason Babin trade-up, alone, was enough to get the guy fired IMO. Didn't we even freaking trade up with the TITANS to grab Jason Babin who the draft gurus were loudly saying "Uh, he wasn't going anytime soon. This is a bad reach by the Texans. Unless they knew someone was about to grab him, but still...that's a head scratcher from where we're standing."

Capers was out. Kubiak wasn't coming on-board with Uncle Charles as his GM, so you knew that Casserly was a lame-duck GM. What do you do with lame-duck GMs? You assign them to tasks that are fairly unnecessary. You keep them busy, doing some fact gathering. Seeing what dirt you can dig up on draft prospects--Oh! Bush had his parents set up in a nice crib. Well, well, well...--and other low-level things that keep the GM in there, without getting too much in the way of the new regime.

That Casserly gets credit for the Mario pick is baffling to me. He had no "vision" for what Kubiak was starting. To me, that draft was Kubiak all the way. IIRC, Rick Smith was yet to legally be able to help with our draft that year...but still, there was probably some sort of contact between them. I think Kubiak did a fairly good job, considering what he inherited and that it was his first spin behind the wheel as the head coach.

Why is there this passionate following, by the media, for Casserly? Does he have blackmail information on so many people? I mean, it's just amazing. I won't question his work ethic, etc. But his ability to sign quality free agents, to reasonable contracts, and to help the head coach in the evaluation and selection of draft prospects? Hardly a pro at that, IMO.

Big Lou
04-20-2009, 01:25 AM
maybe its more a reflection of the talent base? 06 was a great draft to have the 1st pick each round & two @ the top of the third. it would be very depressing if they had not taken advantage of this situation :texflag:

if I remember they wanted their 1st pick signed prior to the draft & Mario was more willing than Bush to agree on terms that determined the pick as much as anything because they where rated virtually equal.

DeMeco was dumb luck he fell & they needed LB help.

Protection for their precious QB needed to address tackle in spades so they took two.

Billy Miller era ended & had to find his replacement.

David Anderson was a solid choice, Kubiak made from Colorado State

this was more about sucking hard & adjusting late flight than forward thinking on his part :specnatz:

Your the glass half full kinda person aren't ya!!!!!

Just kidding, interesting observations/points.

mexican_texan
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Kubiak would rather watch tape of players in action than attend pro days. He puts a lot of stock in meeting with players and getting a feel for them and if he thinks they can fit with what the Texans do.
I think this answers a lot of our questions.

Maddict5
04-20-2009, 06:11 AM
i lol'ed at this comment

This is also some nice logic used in Charlie's defense- "Casserly would get with Kubiak and tell him who he was going to take, and Kubiak would say yes or no." Tell me how much credit you would give Casserly on this test?
What's the capitol of Texas?
Charlie: Lubbock? Kubiak: Let's try that one again.
Charlie: Ft. Worth? Kubiak: That's not the way we studied it, Charlie.
Charlie: Junction? Kubiak: Uhhhh no.
Charlie: Austin? Kubiak: Right! Let's pick Austin.

How about giving credit where credit is due for the 2006 ? The credit resides with Kubiak.

:spit:

Blake
04-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with Maddict and GP. People act like CC was the only one in the war room to make the pick. Im glad they all agreed on Mario and its worked out great. But picking Mario over Reggie does not define his career, especially with the Texans. I wont go over his blunders again, but he still has alot of work to do to get out of the hole he created as the Texans GM.

infantrycak
04-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Why is there this passionate following, by the media, for Casserly? Does he have blackmail information on so many people? I mean, it's just amazing. I won't question his work ethic, etc. But his ability to sign quality free agents, to reasonable contracts, and to help the head coach in the evaluation and selection of draft prospects? Hardly a pro at that, IMO.

Casserly was a talker. He liked the media and gave tidbits to McClain and Justice. Kubiak/Smith don't do that. Casserly gets treated graciously by the media and Smith gets excoriated.

nunusguy
04-20-2009, 08:28 AM
In Charley Casserly's final draft, they decisively took advantage of picking atop each round.
In true Elwayian fashion, the double C went out at the top of his game.

Porky
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Imagine if Dayne the Hut hadn't rolled over Charles Spencer's leg and ruined what was looking to be an extremely promising career. We would have had Mario, Ryans, Spencer, Winston, Daniels and Anderson all in one draft.

Marcus
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Casserly isn't as good as the national media makes him out to be, and he isn't as bad as this message board makes him out to be.

I've been on this and other Texans' message boards since day one, and to this day, no one knows for sure who made what decisions in the front office.

Casserly was the first GM of an expansion team, operatiing on a particular set of rules laid down by the NFL at that time. He made both good, and bad decisions, when you look back in hindsight.

The end result would have been the same, no matter who the GM was at that time. If God himself was the GM of the Texans when the team was first formed, God himself would be vilified on this board right now.

Thorn
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
All drafts have an element of luck to them. Sure, scouting and interviews play a roll, but until the player puts on the pads and plays in the NFL, who knows?

Case in point, Reggie Bush. I'd rather have Slaton than Bush, but who could have known that in advance?

Marcus
04-20-2009, 09:33 AM
All drafts have an element of luck to them. Sure, scouting and interviews play a roll, but until the player puts on the pads and plays in the NFL, who knows?

Case in point, Reggie Bush. I'd rather have Slaton than Bush, but who could have known that in advance?

Another case in point, Andre Johnson and Charles Rogers. If we had the 2nd pick of the draft instead of the 3rd, you can bet the farm we would have taken Rogers.

It's a crap shoot. It's always been a crap shoot.

Blake
04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Another case in point, Andre Johnson and Charles Rogers. If we had the 2nd pick of the draft instead of the 3rd, you can bet the farm we would have taken Rogers.

really? I was shocked when CR went ahead of AJ. I though we got lucky as hell that they left him for us.

Mr. White
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Nice to see people getting all misty-eyed over the good old days with Casserly. I can't say I have the same fond feelings myself.

His first mistake was hiring a guy that had a win-loss record of 30-34. I guess Casserly defined his body of work in one anomaly of a season where he went 12-4.

His second mistake was drafting a "face of the franchise" with the first overall pick instead of the inaugural draft. It's been proven time and again that good teams are built in the trenches.

When he was under attack, he said he always drafted the guys that the coaches wanted. Kinda funny now how he plays up his role in the 2006 draft.

Marcus
04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
really? I was shocked when CR went ahead of AJ. I though we got lucky as hell that they left him for us.

Well, so did I. But I also remember the pundits having Rogers rated higher because they questioned AJ's hands. There were some here who wanted to trade up a spot to get Rogers.

There were reasons why Rogers was taken higher. He was rated higher. No reason to invent revisionist history.

infantrycak
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Rogers was rated higher by most pundits and most but by no means all (I was an AJ advocate) fans around here wanted Rogers. But, there was some whispering before the draft that the Texans wanted AJ over Rogers regardless. The other rumor was the Texans had wanted McGahee until his injury.

His second mistake was drafting a "face of the franchise" with the first overall pick instead of the inaugural draft. It's been proven time and again that good teams are built in the trenches.

To be fair, they did attempt to address the trenches. Bosellis, Ryan Young, Gary Walker, Seth Payne, plus three more OL in the expansion draft. Then 6 draft picks on the lines including 3 of 5 first day picks. They tried, they just botched it and got unlucky.

Goldensilence
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Casserly isn't as good as the national media makes him out to be, and he isn't as bad as this message board makes him out to be.

I've been on this and other Texans' message boards since day one, and to this day, no one knows for sure who made what decisions in the front office.

Casserly was the first GM of an expansion team, operatiing on a particular set of rules laid down by the NFL at that time. He made both good, and bad decisions, when you look back in hindsight.

The end result would have been the same, no matter who the GM was at that time. If God himself was the GM of the Texans when the team was first formed, God himself would be vilified on this board right now.

God as GM and Charlie not a bad GM for the Texans....whew good things both don't exist.

I don't know of another GM out there who can have the horrible track record he did as a GM for trades, banging a few picks prior to 2006 and have such a clearly inept coaching staff still come off smelling like roses. Matt Millen should go ask on a guestspeaker on NFLN and hope some of that rubs off on him.

I think the "General" is wrong too about Casserly getting him to back off Bush. From what I recall it was the threat of NCAA violations and a snag in contract discussions that swayed McNair to pick Mario over Reggie. IF htere is one thing he should get credit for in the draft it's finding OD.

No one talks about trading picks within your own division and the incedibile reach on Babin. No one talks about the trade back for the slug that has been Travis Johnson. No one talks about the Phillip Buchannon trade. They just talk about a mistreated lame duck GM who likely was handcuffed in that draft just like Richard Smith calling defensive plays.

If he was half the GM he's made outto be he'd have teams offering him lucrative deals to get back in the business. The part that pisses me off the most is that I doubt any owner would make that call and he doesn't have to save his GM "legacy" because all he has to do is sit on the sidelines and gloat on NFLN.
:wild:

infantrycak
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the "General" is wrong too about Casserly getting him to back off Bush. From what I recall it was the threat of NCAA violations and a snag in contract discussions that swayed McNair to pick Mario over Reggie. IF htere is one thing he should get credit for in the draft it's finding OD.

There was conflicting information after the draft. There was at least one article (I thought by McClain) stating Kubiak was the one enamored of Mario. Maybe facts change with time...

Blake
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I know each situation is different. But from my point of view, the coaches get credit for the pick.

The scouts get the players and info. The coaches pick the players. The GM makes it happen and gets them signed.

The GM should get more credit for FA moves and such. But they also should get the blame for the contracts they sign them too.

I refuse to believe that our drafting ability went from zero to hero because of the same GM. The only difference from 05' to 06' was the coaching staff.

Polo
04-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I heard McClain on the radio this morning and he convinced me that Casserly was instrumental with drafting Mario.

He said that at some point not too long before the draft Caserly sat McNair and Kubes down and went through 2 legal pads of trangressions that RB had supposedly performed. Pretty much his exact words.

He's either making stuff up, or he someone told him something.

The Pencil Neck
04-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Drugs. He got released by the Texans and then shortly thereafter, he was arrested in New Jersey.

I was hoping for a lot more from him.

michaelm
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll admit that I originally wanted us to draft Bush, but I wasn't at all disappointed when the chose Mario instead. I was actually good with the thought of it the night before the draft when the news came out that we were taking Mario.

As far as Bush is concerned, only one team, the Texans, did any research on him. No other team really spent any time investigating him because they never thought we'd pass on him.
We were the only team that really did our homework on him, and we were the team that passed on him.
I've never thought that was a coincidence.

thunderkyss
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Anybody who put a first overall grade on Reggie Bush is a fool. Anyone who still believes he should have had a first overall grade, is a bigger fool.

I don't believe we ever had any interest in Reggie Bush with that pick. I know what the Coaches/GM/Owner say, but judging from what we have been able to do in the draft, I'm just not seeing it.

I'm not hating on Reggie either. I'm a fan, I had him on my fantasy football team, he was a lock to start every week he was healthy..... but that doesn't make him a first overall selection in a FF draft, much less a real NFL draft.

nunusguy
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Rogers was rated higher by most pundits and most but by no means all (I was an AJ advocate) fans around here wanted Rogers. But, there was some whispering before the draft that the Texans wanted AJ over Rogers regardless. The other rumor was the Texans had wanted McGahee until his injury.

I for one wanted Roy Williams as did Casserly, who was totally infatuated
with the UT WR and made little effort to disguise his sentiments. Problem is of course Williams decided to stay on for his senior year in Austin.

OzzO
04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I heard McClain on the radio this morning and he convinced me that Casserly was instrumental with drafting Mario.

He said that at some point not too long before the draft Caserly sat McNair and Kubes down and went through 2 legal pads of trangressions that RB had supposedly performed. Pretty much his exact words.

Isn't CC the same guy that went in depth on P-Burnt (2 game tapes) for us to go after him? Uh huh.

I think those 2 legal pads were Giant Chief notebooks with the extra wide lines.

In case we don't remember who McClain was gunning for (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/09/texans_need_heart_and_guts_lik.html)...
...Man, oh, man, just imagine the fallout here from Texans' fans at the loss, not to mention all the I-told-you-so's from the Teasips. And me, of course, since I said they should have drafted Young first and Reggie Bush second. But that's another story.

oh... and I guess McClain was swayed recently, since in the same blog he noted....
First, for those of you who still don't know, Charley Casserly didn't draft Mario Williams. Gary Kubiak did. Casserly wanted Bush early on but switched to Williams. Kubiak made the final call.

From Tailgate's find, above
The Generals take and makes his case for Casserly...

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/04/three_years_later_texans_draft.html

They can't tell me that Casserly could sway Kubiak and a "more experienced" McNair than he could a Capers and a "new to this" McNair. I don't see it.

... and another thing (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2006-04-30-williams-pledge_x.htm).
...McNair noted that new coach Gary Kubiak, who had been the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator, has a history of succeeding with running backs who were not drafted prominently. The owner made it clear that Kubiak pushed for Williams.

Houston's unexpected and unpopular decision puts pressure on everyone involved in making it.

"From an interest standpoint, they couldn't beat Young or Bush," Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain said, adding, "They'd better win."

Hooston Texan
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM

If it was indeed God running the Texans' drafts in 2002-2005, I might actually consider becoming an atheist.

Sorry, but Casserly had no freaking clue how to stock an expansion team. He repeatedly quoted statistics about how non-first round picks had relatively low pan-out rates, but he evidently didn't realize that those stats were for established teams. For an expansion team starting from scratch, you must get as many solid players you can find.

In the NFL, you get solid, agreeably-priced, players in rounds 2-4. These rounds are where methodical GMs build teams from within, but Casserly, citing his precious statistics, sold them off for two magic beans (Babin and Buchanon). Maybe an established team could get away with selling 5 premium picks in two years for two players, but an expansion team with a rapidly-aging defense absolutely could not. The team needed a host of good players more than they needed two great ones. And, of course, it sure didn't help matters that Babin and Buchanon turned out to be, well, Babin and Buchanon.

Casserly certainly made a good pick here and there during his time here. But his philosophy was simply wrong for an expansion team: he should have been stockpiling as many mid-round draft picks as he could instead of selling them. And, for God's sake (to bring Him back into the discussion), if you do sell them, you had better be really sure of what you're getting in return.

ObsiWan
04-20-2009, 04:24 PM

That's not what Casserly said in his pre-draft presser (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=2448), way back when...

(on if Reggie Bushs housing situation plays a role in a decision) No, its not going to play a role in what we do. Ive talked to Reggie and Ive talked to his mom. We have not found anything in this to let it influence our decision, which its not going to influence our decision. Were going to pick the best player. Weve researched these two young men; I think they are outstanding young men and I think both of them will be a credit to this organization and this city.

revisionist history my friends...
happens all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if some years down the road even ole MelHairGel comes out and says he thought Mario was THE top pick in the '06 draft.

GP
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Oh, Marcus. You went wayyy overboard with that one! LOL.

Sizing up AJ against Rogers, just on size, athleticism, and technique alone was enough for anybody with half-a-brain to realize AJ was superior to Rogers. I'm not that good of a judge of talent, but when it was draft day...I knew that AJ falling to us was a slam dunk for us and a doink for the Lions.

You're letting Detroit off the hook here. The Lions wanted the in-state WR (Rogers) because they thought he would sell tickets, they went on an emotion, etc. They did with Rogers what we didn't do with Vince Young. The Lions have been getting it wrong for the better part of a decade, Marcus. A few right turns over the past 10 years, and the Lions aren't in a big mess like they are now.

Hell, the best thing they could do is trade down on Saturday and get that monkey off their back. There's a reason they always draft in the top 4 or 5. They'd be better off letting a 10-year-old kid draw a name out of a hat.

You are usually well-reasoned in your statements. But to say that we would have plucked Charles Rogers instead of AJ is just beyond the pale.

GP
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
If it was indeed God running the Texans' drafts in 2002-2005, I might actually consider becoming an atheist.

Sorry, but Casserly had no freaking clue how to stock an expansion team. He repeatedly quoted statistics about how non-first round picks had relatively low pan-out rates, but he evidently didn't realize that those stats were for established teams. For an expansion team starting from scratch, you must get as many solid players you can find.

In the NFL, you get solid, agreeably-priced, players in rounds 2-4. These rounds are where methodical GMs build teams from within, but Casserly, citing his precious statistics, sold them off for two magic beans (Babin and Buchanon). Maybe an established team could get away with selling 5 premium picks in two years for two players, but an expansion team with a rapidly-aging defense absolutely could not. The team needed a host of good players more than they needed two great ones. And, of course, it sure didn't help matters that Babin and Buchanon turned out to be, well, Babin and Buchanon.

Casserly certainly made a good pick here and there during his time here. But his philosophy was simply wrong for an expansion team: he should have been stockpiling as many mid-round draft picks as he could instead of selling them. And, for God's sake (to bring Him back into the discussion), if you do sell them, you had better be really sure of what you're getting in return.

I don't know what parts to bold, because I would bold it all. For GOOD reasons, btw.

That's a great post. Will try to give you rep, essentially because you expose the multitude of errors and shenanigans that Casserly was a part of.

It's a freaking SHAM to suggest that Casserly sat in his office and ate tuna-fish sandwiches, watching Golden Girls re-runs, while Capers and the rest of the organization was busy killing the team. He was right there in the middle of it, trying to put his fingerprints on it. If he gets credit for the miraculous pick of Mario Williams, he gets credit for the tom foolery, as well. Which was the bulk of his tenure as GM.

In a professional wrestling commentator voice: Wait a second! Here comes Casserly! He's running down the hall! He's got something in his hands. Oh my! It's a piece of paper with the name Mario Williams on it! Casserly is cleaning house!

LOL. Charles Effin' Casserly...

GP
04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
And count me in with those who say something's amiss with McClain's handling of how things went down, what was said by whom, etc.

I think we will see a TON of people in the sports media trying to revise history this season with the Mario vs. VY vs. Bush drama and what side people were on, etc.

God bless Mario. He shut his mouth, endured the turd storm, and comes out smelling like a rose. Class act.

Second Honeymoon
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
fwiw - casserley doesn't deserve any 'credit' for picking Mario over Bush. at that point in the organization, charlie would have been fired pre-draft but CC was up for a bigtime executive position at the NFL front office. McNair needed to play nice with CC to potentially get an ally in his front office or at least not an enemy at a high spot.

thus McNair and Kubiak kept Charlie around for his existing network of scouts and contacts and so that Casserley was in a better position to get the job in New York at NFL HQ. Casserley did come out and explain the selection of Mario and did take some heat, but it was not his decision to draft Mario over Bush. That was Kubiak and McNair and all the illegal money drama and agent shenanigans probably hurt Bush more than any on-field critique/rating.

I remember Casserley even claiming that he had Bush as his top rated player and would have drafted Bush if it was up to him, but that the organization felt Mario was the safer pick and more prudent than Bush and his baggage and because of Charlie's lack of power during that time, Mario was selected.

Screw Casserley and any credit he tries to take. That was a ballsy pick by Kubiak and I was one of the ones who wanted us to draft Vince over all of them.....at least until McNair signed YKW to the maximum contract extension...at that point VY in Houston was impossible..and then I preferred Bush over Mario because we had been so burned by workout warriors in past (Babin, Carr). I give Kubiak total credit for the Mario selection and it made perfect sense based on Denver's success with late round RBs.

GP
04-21-2009, 08:32 AM
fwiw - casserley doesn't deserve any 'credit' for picking Mario over Bush. at that point in the organization, charlie would have been fired pre-draft but CC was up for a bigtime executive position at the NFL front office. McNair needed to play nice with CC to potentially get an ally in his front office or at least not an enemy at a high spot.

thus McNair and Kubiak kept Charlie around for his existing network of scouts and contacts and so that Casserley was in a better position to get the job in New York at NFL HQ. Casserley did come out and explain the selection of Mario and did take some heat, but it was not his decision to draft Mario over Bush. That was Kubiak and McNair and all the illegal money drama and agent shenanigans probably hurt Bush more than any on-field critique/rating.

I remember Casserley even claiming that he had Bush as his top rated player and would have drafted Bush if it was up to him, but that the organization felt Mario was the safer pick and more prudent than Bush and his baggage and because of Charlie's lack of power during that time, Mario was selected.

Screw Casserley and any credit he tries to take. That was a ballsy pick by Kubiak and I was one of the ones who wanted us to draft Vince over all of them.....at least until McNair signed YKW to the maximum contract extension...at that point VY in Houston was impossible..and then I preferred Bush over Mario because we had been so burned by workout warriors in past (Babin, Carr). I give Kubiak total credit for the Mario selection and it made perfect sense based on Denver's success with late round RBs.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Well said.

mexican_texan
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm watching Path To the Draft and Casserly went over this draft. He took credit for it and hinted that if the Texans make the playoffs, he should get credit for setting up the foundation of the team.

Double Barrel
04-21-2009, 06:27 PM

That's what I remember, as well. Bush was going to hold out (which he did with the Saints), and Mario signed on the dotted line the day before the draft.

If God himself was the GM of the Texans when the team was first formed, God himself would be vilified on this board right now.

I doubt God would have picked HWSNBN with our first overall pick. The Almighty would have been looking for defense instead of a pretty boy who looks good in posters to sell tickets. Julius Peppers would have been our pick with God in charge. ;)

If he was half the GM he's made outto be he'd have teams offering him lucrative deals to get back in the business. The part that pisses me off the most is that I doubt any owner would make that call and he doesn't have to save his GM "legacy" because all he has to do is sit on the sidelines and gloat on NFLN.
:wild:

My thoughts exactly. Dude would be a GM right now if he was all that.

HOU-TEX
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm watching Path To the Draft and Casserly went over this draft. He took credit for it and hinted that if the Texans make the playoffs, he should get credit for setting up the foundation of the team.

I know Casserly's an asshat, but I didn't get any hint of him wanting "credit for setting up the foundation". He merely stated he hoped the Texans had playoff trips in the near future.

Jackie Chiles
04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I know Casserly's an asshat, but I didn't get any hint of him wanting "credit for setting up the foundation". He merely stated he hoped the Texans had playoff trips in the near future.

I heard him as well as this is pretty much what I took from it. For quite some time I have been bitter about Casserly but if we make the playoffs I am prepared to bury the hatchet. Even if he had about 10% input on that 2006 draft, I don't care anymore.

nunusguy
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Then-Texans general manager Charley Casserly was lit up for that draft, mainly for passing on Reggie Bush and Vince Young to take defensive end Mario Williams.

Chalk one up for Casserly. Williams is a star pass rusher, while Bush is a situational runner and Young is a clipboard holder.
It was an outstanding draft. Anytime you can get four quality starters, three of whom have already been to the Pro Bowl, it's a huge year. The only real miss was third-round pick Charles Spencer, and he had a bad knee injury that cut short his time in Houston.

Grade: A+
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11696266
Deserved or not, just like Clinton still gets kudos for the '90s economy when he was in office, Casserly gets the same for the hugely successful Draft of 2006 when he was Texans GM.

Porky
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Then-Texans general manager Charley Casserly was lit up for that draft, mainly for passing on Reggie Bush and Vince Young to take defensive end Mario Williams.

Chalk one up for Casserly. Williams is a star pass rusher, while Bush is a situational runner and Young is a clipboard holder.
It was an outstanding draft. Anytime you can get four quality starters, three of whom have already been to the Pro Bowl, it's a huge year. The only real miss was third-round pick Charles Spencer, and he had a bad knee injury that cut short his time in Houston.

Grade: A+
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11696266
Deserved or not, just like Clinton still gets kudos for the '90s economy when he was in office, Casserly gets the same for the hugely successful Draft of 2006 when he was Texans GM.

Yup, I just read that article. Best draft grade of 06 and the only A+. Note the Cowgirls grade. :spit: