PDA

View Full Version : Still Wondering Why The Texans.......

CloakNNNdagger
04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
.................have not been bringing in draft prospects, while other teams are bringing them in wholesale for an up close and personal look? I know the arguments that you don't want to give your hand and the scouts have had opportunity to evaluate under earlier organized venues. BUT, I still have that little question rattling in my mind, WHY couldn't this have been utlized to some advantage, even if used only in a limited way?

steelbtexan
04-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.

Is it possible they've brought some guys in and are keeping it under wraps?

or

Is it possible yhat Uncle BoB is being cheap?

dtran04
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure they've brought in just as many as other teams. It only gets reported on Scout.com or indirectly through the players mouths themselves. The media here gets zilch from this organization, and rightfully so.

ArlingtonTexan
04-18-2009, 10:02 AM
The Texans do bring the 30 prospects allowed by the league. They don't release the names nor does the local media leak the info on the players.

ObsiWan
04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I guess it could be worse. I was watching NFLN as they were assessing the Chiefs and the KC equivalent to McClain said that the new F/O hasn't had but three pressers since the turnover and Matt Cassell has yet to address the KC media/fanbase

barrett
04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I feel like we've actually had pretty decent amounts of press this offseason.

m5kwatts
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I know for a fact that Robert Ayers and Jared Cook (south carolina tight end) have visited.

Vinny
04-18-2009, 12:24 PM
The Texans do bring the 30 prospects allowed by the league. They don't release the names nor does the local media leak the info on the players.
Tricky Rick is doing his Parcells routine.

Silver Oak
04-18-2009, 12:29 PM

would be nice if it worked as good for him as it did/does for Parcells.

CloakNNNdagger
04-18-2009, 12:37 PM

You mean, THIS ONE. Vinny?:

IF I TOLD YOU REPORTERS ONCE, I'VE TOLD YOU A THOUSAND TIMES.............I KNOW NOTHINGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

http://sportsclimax.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/parcells-300x261.jpg

Hottoddie
04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
The info is out there guys. You just have to dig around for it. Here's a couple of reports from GBN.

http://www.gbnreport.com/sleeperfile.html

Wednesday, April 15... CB Greg Toler, St. Paul’s…

.......Toler was originally scouted by Baltimore and Washington, but once word got out he has started to pile up the frequent flyer miles with pre-draft visits or workouts with Houston,

Sunday, April 12... DT Vaughn Martin, 6-3, 331, Western Ontario…

....Martin, in fact, has visited, or will visit, with a number of teams this month including Green Bay, Indianapolis, Carolina, San Diego, Miami, St. Louis and Cleveland among their 30 allowed on-site visits while Houston and the Jets sent scouts north to check to Martin this winter.

UNOFFICIAL LIST OF PLAYER VISITS TO NFL TEAMS PRIOR TO THE 2009 DRAFT.....

.......Houston RB Andre Brown;

dalemurphy
04-18-2009, 02:57 PM
.................have not been bringing in draft prospects, while other teams are bringing them in wholesale for an up close and personal look? I know the arguments that you don't want to give your hand and the scouts have had opportunity to evaluate under earlier organized venues. BUT, I still have that little question rattling in my mind, WHY couldn't this have been utlized to some advantage, even if used only in a limited way?

CND,

If you want an exhaustive list of prospects that we've interviewed, go to inthebullseye.com. They have a very good list there. It's also the best place to get salary cap information on the Texans.

CloakNNNdagger
04-18-2009, 03:33 PM
CNS,

If you want an exhaustive list of prospects that we've interviewed, go to anthills.com. They have a very good list there. It's also the best place to get salary cap information on the Texans.

Appreciate you directing me to the existence of this site.

CloakNNNdagger
04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
CND,

If you want an exhaustive list of prospects that we've interviewed, go to inthebullseye.com. They have a very good list there. It's also the best place to get salary cap information on the Texans.

DM...............I just noted that the link refered to in my last response was changed to anthills.com from inthebullseye.com........what happened?????? (I know that I didn't do it)

Big Poundcake
04-18-2009, 10:33 PM
This article says that DE Brian Orakpo has(or will) visit with the Texans.http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2009-nfl-draft/more-on-orakpo-and-sanchez.html

ObsiWan
04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
DM...............I just noted that the link refered to in my last response was changed to anthills.com from inthebullseye.com........what happened?????? (I know that I didn't do it)

Went to inthebullseye... couldn't find the list you referred to...
...is it one of the msg board topics?

bckey
04-19-2009, 02:05 AM

I couldn't find it either.

danger6
04-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Try this . . .
http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490

dalemurphy
04-19-2009, 07:10 AM

Yes. Under the NFL Draft forum.
For salary cap info, just hit the salary cap button on the home page and then scroll down.

threetoedpete
04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
William Moore (S, Mizzou)
Nic Harris (S/LB, Oklahoma)
Rashad Johnson (S, Alabama)
Chip Vaughn (S, Wake Forest)
Malcolm Jenkins (CB, Ohio State)
Vontae Davis (CB, Illinois)
Keenan Lewis (CB, Oregon State)
Coye Francies (CB, San Jose States)
Robert Ayers (DE, Tennessee)
Connor Barwin (DE/OLB/TE, Cincinnati)
Everette Brown (DE, Florida State)
Cody Brown (DE, Connecticut)
Gerald McGrath (LB, Southern Miss)
Clay Matthews (LB, USC)
Larry English (LB/DE UNI)
Jason Watkins (OL, Florida)
Jaimie Thomas (OL, Maryland)
Quan Cosby (WR, Texas)
Louis Murphy (WR, Florida)
Juaquin Iglesias (WR, Oklahoma)
Derrick Williams (WR, Penn State)
Jeremy Maclin (WR, Mizzou)
Jared Cook (TE, South Carolina)

Also rumored to have visited the Texans at the Combine where
Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU
Andre Brown, RB, NC State

I admit I stole this list from a post on TT.com. JWarren14 posted this list from Scouts inc.

I believe fair use went out the window a while back.

bckey
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Here is a reply from Keith at Inthebullseye about the players we bring in.

Unless I'm mistaken, teams (outside of their division or conference) sometimes get into small groups or pairs and pool interview notes in part because it is too hard to get to everyone. As such, reading too much into these reports of visits is a bit of a fool's errand imo. For all we know, the Texans are talking to a bunch of WRs for the Cowboys or Bucs while taking info from the same on LBs and safeties.

Anyone remember that story of when the Broncos drafted Cutler? (Put recent news aside for a moment.) Cutler never once talked to the team before the draft... and that was their first round pick at quarterback.

ObsiWan
04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Is it a web ettiquette faux pas to paste their list to this thread?

LINK (http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490&page=3)

I see Dale found it but didn't cut & paste it here....

Hottoddie
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but if true, I find this very curious. Could it be a smokescreen?

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100793/123

Houston Texans

Frank Tadych, of NFL.com, reports the Texans did not have any representatives present at the Wednesday, April 1 Pro Day at the University of Southern California.

Hottoddie
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
And I'm really glad to read this. I think Knox could be a good one.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100562/123

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Abilene Christian University wide receiver Johnny Knox has a private workout scheduled with the Houston Texans for Saturday, April 4.

steelbtexan
04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Why is it that the Washington Post is reporting that Orakpo has /will be visiting with the Texans but we get no info from the Chron?

Oh well I'm waiting for McClains next movie review.

threetoedpete
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Here is a reply from Keith at Inthebullseye about the players we bring in.

Unless I'm mistaken, teams (outside of their division or conference) sometimes get into small groups or pairs and pool interview notes in part because it is too hard to get to everyone. As such, reading too much into these reports of visits is a bit of a fool's errand imo. For all we know, the Texans are talking to a bunch of WRs for the Cowboys or Bucs while taking info from the same on LBs and safeties.

Anyone remember that story of when the Broncos drafted Cutler? (Put recent news aside for a moment.) Cutler never once talked to the team before the draft... and that was their first round pick at quarterback.

I thought there was a very high volume of WRs there also. never know....no one is indispensable. Not one DT on the list. Not one.

Hottoddie
04-19-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL/?cat=free

NFL | Westerman visits some teams
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:44:51 -0700

Rutgers DE Jamaal Westerman met with the Chicago Bears Tuesday, March 31, New York Jets Tuesday, April 7, and Houston Texans Monday, April 13 and Tuesday, April 14.

NFL | Several teams interested in Knox
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:34:03 -0700

Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox met with the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins at undisclosed times. He also had private workouts with the Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders and Houston Texans at undisclosed times.

Texans | Hunt visits
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:10:20 -0700

University of Houston DE Phillip Hunt met with the Houston Texans at an undisclosed time.

NFL | Melton has met with several teams
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:54:18 -0700

University of Texas DE Henry Melton met with the Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans and San Francisco 49ers at undisclosed times.

NFL | Teams showing interest in Lyons
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:42:58 -0700

KFFL has learned University of Kentucky WR Dicky Lyons Jr. (knee) is fully recovered from his knee surgery last season and has been fully cleared to run. The Houston Texans, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers have contacted him so far.

Texans | Hafner visits
Comment (0)
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:05:20 -0700

University of Houston TE Mark Hafner met with the Houston Texans at an undisclosed time.

Wolf
04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Laurinaitis has worked out for the St. Louis Rams, Atlanta Falcons, Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos. He had official visits with the Kansas City Chiefs, Houston Texans and the New Orleans Saints. The Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers and the Minnesota Vikings were just a few of the teams who requested a formal interview with him at the NFL Scouting Combine.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9472206/7-Points:-Don't-overlook-OSU's-Laurinaitis-?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23

ObsiWan
04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
And I'm really glad to read this. I think Knox could be a good one.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/100562/123

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Abilene Christian University wide receiver Johnny Knox has a private workout scheduled with the Houston Texans for Saturday, April 4.

Isn't NFLDraftBible the site that posted those suspect reports about Cushing, et. al. failing steroid tests and Vontae Davis testing positive for marijuana? The NFL came out later and said all those reports were bogus...
I'm not sure I'd trust anything they post after that

Big Poundcake
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I would like to get DE Henry Melton with one of the later picks.

dalemurphy
04-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Why is it that the Washington Post is reporting that Orakpo has /will be visiting with the Texans but we get no info from the Chron?
Oh well I'm waiting for McClains next movie review.

small fanbase and a bad newspaper

Hottoddie
04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Isn't NFLDraftBible the site that posted those suspect reports about Cushing, et. al. failing steroid tests and Vontae Davis testing positive for marijuana? The NFL came out later and said all those reports were bogus...
I'm not sure I'd trust anything they post after that

True, but it was also confirmed by Kffl.com. See post #27.

steelbtexan
04-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Bad excuse for people not doing their jobs.

This small fan base has helped the Texans bcome one of the most profitable franchises in all of sports.

I wonder if the chron is one of the most profitable newspapers in the country?

LOL

threetoedpete
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Chronicle is a baseball paper. Has been for as long as I could read. I love it when their baseball guys get a football idea. Next time Justice....just let it go.
You'll only muck it up.