PDA

View Full Version : The Madden Curse. Is it finally over?

gtexan02
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
I wonder if Madden retiring this year will finally break the curse. You have to admit, its been a pretty freaky history so far:

1999: Garrison Hearst - Broken ankle, missed 2 NFL seasons
2000: Barry Sanders - Abruptly retired before start of season
2001: Eddie George - Started disappointing downward spiral and missed 1000 yards
2002: Daunte Culpepper: Injured, terrible year
2003: Marshall Faulk: One of his worst statistical years
2004: Michael Vick: Missed 11 games with broken leg, now in jail
2005: Ray Lewis: Not too bad. Numbers were down, though
2006: Donovan McNabb: Sports hernia, missed most of year
2007: Shaun Alexander: Injury + Major downward spiral
2008: Vince Young: Crappy year + look where he is now
2009: Brett Favre: Came out of retirement and had major breakdown at end of year

imatexan
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I guess we will see...

Hookem Horns
04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
VY had a crappy year? That is an understatement. It should read "VY was benched during the 1st game of the season after quitting on his team, had a nervous breakdown, threatened suicide, and will probably never see the field again (at least with his current team).

Chicagotexan1
04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
VY had a crappy year? That is an understatement. It should read "VY was benched during the 1st game of the season after quitting on his team, had a nervous breakdown, threatened suicide, and will probably never see the field again (at least with his current team).

and he launched (no pun intended) his own line of sausages!!!

Blake
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I cant wait for Collinsworth X to come out this year.

BullBlitz
04-16-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know if the curse is over but I don't want any of our guys on the cover.

RipTraxx
04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
The only reason VY got it on 08 was b/c Ladanian Tomlinson turned it down.....

mexican_texan
04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Madden hasn't been in the games, so I doubt the curse gets broken.

awtysst
04-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Perhaps it would be fitting for Madden to be on the cover this year?

mattieuk
04-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Perhaps it would be fitting for Madden to be on the cover this year?

He had like every cover before 1999, he can't get himself another one!

A part of me almost starts to think that they try and pick the guy who is most likely to have a bad year to continue the curse... Matt Cassel this year anyone?

HoustonFrog
04-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Madden still will be the force behind these games so with his name still on it...the curse will live.:). Put Haynesworth on it.

Texan_Bill
04-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I think the curse worsens. The players not only have "stuff" happen to them, the "new" curse forces them into retirement. :pirate:

HOU-TEX
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Madden still will be the force behind these games so with his name still on it...the curse will live.:). Put Haynesworth on it.

2nd-ed-ed :tiphat:

infantrycak
04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Put Haynesworth on it.

Haynesworth is no longer in the AFC South. Put Manning on it.

gg no re
04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
The only reason VY got it on 08 was b/c Ladanian Tomlinson turned it down.....

and yet LT still couldn't escape the curse that year... once you have been chosen, you cannot change your fate

mexican_texan
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a feeling Sorgi's gonna torch us someday. Besides, he may have 'mmunity.

http://www.randomhouse.com/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780761546184&width=309

http://games.software.com/Screenshots/18/6/18617.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619zPRBGfKL._SL500_AA280_.gif

http://www.tycromedia.com/images/PS2%20ESPN%20NFL%202K5.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/6q425g1.jpg

Mari-OWNED!
04-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Madden '10 should have a defensive player on the cover. They don't get enough love. (Just please not Mario Williams!)

My vote would go to somebody like James Harrison, or DeMarcus Ware.

:spit:

I really like Collinsworth's commentating, I think he will be the "next John Madden" when it comes to that department.

mexican_texan
04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Collinsworth knows football better than any other color guy I know

Double Barrel
04-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Madden is the winningest head coach in NFL history. This, and his ring, are the credentials that stand behind his name on the football game.

I think Collinsworth is a good analyst, but he lacks the NFL success to put his name on a product like this game, IMO. (Not that it was ever a possibility.)

mexican_texan
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
I remember reading ESPN was eventually going to take over the game, but I can't remember where.

Double Barrel
04-17-2009, 04:16 PM
I remember reading ESPN was eventually going to take over the game, but I can't remember where.

That sounds familiar. Too bad NFLN isn't doing the presentation of the news and stuff.

Mari-OWNED!
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Madden is the winningest head coach in NFL

Pretty sure that title belongs to Don Shula.

Edit - Nevermind, Shula won the most games, but Madden has the best winning percentage.

CloakNNNdagger
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM

About a month or so ago, I remember reading on DEAD SPIN that EA was in negotiations with Manning.............ELI Manning, though.

Then, I came across this:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/all/boxshots2/945505_100776.jpg

What's really interesting is what EA may be planning for the 2010 cover.

EA mulling Madden cover auction

EA Sports president tells the Bloomberg news service that he's considering letting players bid for the privilege of receiving the "Madden curse."

Though ostensibly prestigious, the honor of being named a Madden NFL cover athlete has proven perilous. Several athletes have fallen victim to the so-called "Madden Curse," which sees their careers slide after gracing the boxes of Electronic Arts' football game. After being beset by a string of injuries, 2007 cover athlete Shaun Alexander (pictured) went from the NFL's Most Valuable Player to being a back-up running back in just two years. Likewise, 2004 cover athlete Michael Vick missed most of the 2004 season due to a leg injury--and was subsequently suspended from the NFL after being convicted on a series of gambling and dogfighting-related felonies in 2007.

Some fans believe in the "Madden Curse" so strongly that they've started online petitions to dissuade players from accepting EA's offer, which reportedly pays between $100,000 and $200,000. Even EA Sports president Peter Moore admits "there's a grain of truth to the Madden Curse." Speaking with Bloomberg news service, the executive said, "When you look back at the last five, six years, it's a little weird how weird things have happened to guys who are on the front cover.''

Ironically, Moore's comments came in the same interview in which he revealed that EA is toying with the idea of having players pay EA for the privilege of being on the Madden box. "I bet you can find 50 players that would say, 'I'd pay good money,'" he said.

EA will apparently sweeten the pot--and generate some positive PR for the NFL monopoly holder--by donating the funds to the United Way, the NFL's charity of choice. "The League does a lot of work with [players] to make them realize how lucky they are and a lot of them have come out of poor circumstances and they give back," explained Moore.

However, don't expect cash-flush quarterbacks to start busting out their bankrolls just yet. Moore said the option is still being mulled by EA's vast marketing department, and no decision will be made "anytime soon."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200178.html

mexican_texan
04-17-2009, 07:58 PM
OchoCinco will be on the cover a few times in a row if that's the case.

GP
04-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Hey, he has no financial worries. Vince has some royalties from "Men On Film" when he co-starred alongside David Alan Grier on In Living Color:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/michellehijar/in-living-color.jpg

threetoedpete
04-21-2009, 09:33 AM

My wife is saying she is refusing to watch it. LOL. What I wonder just exactly what did his deal with EA sports comprise of ? Did he take the money up front ? Or does he get a piece of what ever is sold ? Says he wants to see more of the grand kids. Can't blame him for that. The NFL is a cruel task master. It takes every thing. And unless you are smart with your money gives you nothing but memories back.

Dread-Head
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Put a Dallas Cowboys team photo on it...

Dread-Head
04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey, he has no financial worries. Vince has some royalties from "Men On Film" when he co-starred alongside David Alan Grier on In Living Color:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/michellehijar/in-living-color.jpg

Photoshop would have been so cool for that pic...

infantrycak
04-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Put a Dallas Cowboys team photo on it...

Two problems with that--I support the Cowboys so long as they aren't playing the Texans and they aren't in our division.

GP
04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Photoshop would have been so cool for that pic...

I actually thought this pic of Damon Wayans looks eerily like VY.

But, yeah, I could put VY's face on there. I put Orlovsky's face onto the body of Jaquin Phoenix in my "Walk The Line" sig down at the bottom of my posts.

Just goes to show you can't rightly judge every sizzling pic you see on the internet or in the news.