PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco Ryans to participate in voluntary workouts next week

Texans_Chick
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
According to Craig Roberts. Roberts does a radio show with Ryans during the season.

Here's a synopsis of everything: Great news: DeMeco Ryans coming back to Houston for voluntary conditioning program (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/great_news_demeco_ryans_coming_1.html)

Hope this means something gets worked out soon. Oh, and DeMeco Ryan's old website is down. I guess that's what happens when you fire your agent...though I would think that he was entitled to the data on there since he paid for it.

:fans:

RipTraxx
04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
according to craig roberts. Roberts does a radio show with ryans during the season.

Here's a synopsis of everything: great news: Demeco ryans coming back to houston for voluntary conditioning program (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/great_news_demeco_ryans_coming_1.html)

hope this means something gets worked out soon. Oh, and demeco ryan's old website is down. I guess that's what happens when you fire your agent...though i would think that he was entitled to the data on there since he paid for it.

*huge exhale*

TexansMVP
04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Oh, and DeMeco Ryan's old website is down. I guess that's what happens when you fire your agent...though I would think that he was entitled to the data on there since he paid for it.

LOL. Way to get back at DeMeco. :thinking:

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
According to Craig Roberts. Roberts does a radio show with Ryans during the season.

Here's a synopsis of everything: Great news: DeMeco Ryans coming back to Houston for voluntary conditioning program (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/great_news_demeco_ryans_coming_1.html)

Hope this means something gets worked out soon. Oh, and DeMeco Ryan's old website is down. I guess that's what happens when you fire your agent...though I would think that he was entitled to the data on there since he paid for it.

You, me, and a couple hundred thousand of our closest friends. :cool:

TEXANS84
04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Too bad the 9.975 million dollar man doesn't share the same thoughts.

Good to see Demeco coming back, hopefully it's a sign that we'll finally "pay the man!".

Drew_Smoke
04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Much ado about nada....especially if #59 is using little adolph to leak his info.

He was always gonna be here bustin' arse like he does when it matters.

CloakNNNdagger
04-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Steph,

If you're looking for a "manager," I come cheap.:) Hot off the press, you've once again been linked on PFT.

Houston Texans star linebacker DeMeco Ryans plans to attend offseason workouts next week and has zeroed in on a new agent after recently firing Kirk Wood, according to Craig Roberts of 790 AM Radio in Houston, per Stephanie Stradley (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/16/texans-ryans-to-report-to-workouts-hire-new-agent/) of the Houston Chronicle.

mattieuk
04-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Fantastic news. Great stuff DeMeco.

You give a little, you get a little. Give him the contract.

Mike Kerns
04-16-2009, 11:51 AM
They'll pay him. I'm really not concerned about it.

Dunta on the other hand...

nunusguy
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
That's good news because Ryans is more valuable to us than D-Rob or OD.
We can get another TE to replace OD if he's not happy with the kind of deal Smith eventually offers him and while D-Rob would be tougher to replace (good corners definitely don't grow on trees, but TEs might), if he's gotta go he's gotta go and I'm now convinced he gotta go because he sincerely wants to go. But Ryans personafies the heart & soul of the defense and we need to get him signed, fat, & happy.

Wolfiegrrl
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I fully believe the front office is trying their best to get fair contracts out to all of these guys. It's a one step at a time process. We tried with Robinson, that didn't work. Moved on to Ryans, that didn't work. Now, they are renegotiating with Daniels. I'm hoping that works. Ryans fires his agent and the new guy will get the deal done. Why? Because he's Williams' agent too. Knowing the team, the dedication from the players and the front office folks is really going to help out this situation in my opinion. I just hope Robinson will open up his damned eyes and take a more fair perspective of the situation.

Goldensilence
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I think Ryans is making a smart move here that might bolster his position with the front office. I think him and Dunta got more then fair contract offers, and I'm wondering what kind of number's we'll see for Daniel's deal. IMO I'm just not sure Owen would've developed in to the TE he has today elsewhere, nor would get used as well as he does in this offense.

Good faith move by Ryans and honestly, I'm curious what we'd get for Dunta on a draft day deal.

Texanfan4ever
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I knew Demeco would come around and OD too. Dunta is starting to really rub me the wrong way.

I mean seriously, how many millions do you need? He should have taken what they offered him originally before they put the franchise tag on him. As great a motivator as he has been to our team, he is now detracting from it and acting like he's in grade school. Wah wah wah, go get some cheese for your whine. I, for one, am sick of hearing him, and am losing respect for him fast.

We don't need any diversions like that, especially this year. Put your big boy pants on and get back to work.

imatexan
04-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Woo!
Now lets just get Dunta worked out!

TimeKiller
04-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Good faith move by Ryans and honestly, I'm curious what we'd get for Dunta on a draft day deal.

I agree with your whole post but wanted to point to this specifically. I mentioned that a week or two ago and I too wonder if Dunta's franchising might be a trade&sign type deal since he's so unhappy here. What would you take? 2 2nds?

What would be an appropriate price if some team were to ask?
Would you use Dunta to move up in the first targeting someone specifically? Orakpo, Raji?

I'd love Dunta to be the tiniest little hammer of hell here in Houston but if he doesn't want to play fair, let him go. We'll be compensated.

buddyboy
04-16-2009, 04:38 PM
We can get another TE to replace OD if he's not happy with the kind of deal Smith eventually offers him and while D-Rob would be tougher to replace (good corners definitely don't grow on trees, but TEs might), if he's gotta go he's gotta go and I'm now convinced he gotta go because he sincerely wants to go. But Ryans personafies the heart & soul of the defense and we need to get him signed, fat, & happy.

I disagree, almost every draft, there is some rookie stud linebacker, and DeMeco was one of those. Ever since that initial season where he was a tackling MACHINE, he's been on the decline, at least in production terms. If we lose DeMeco, I'll be really disappointed, but a MLB is far from a position that is hard to refill. We struck gold on OD, and he's already one of the top TEs in the league, how many other young TEs have produced? Remember Vernon Davis? Mercedes Lewis? As for CB, yes, CBs are at a premium right now, and while Dunta is starting to annoy me, we kind of need him, even though at this point I'm viewing him as a good number 2 corner who can tackle, but without elite coverage skills.

texanfan2002114
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Ben Dogra, the new agent for DeMeco Ryans, confirmed today that the Texans' middle linebacker will start participating in the team's voluntary conditioning program on Monday.

Ryans, who is trying to get a contract extension, fired agent Kirk Wood recently and hired Dogra, who represents defensive end Mario Williams. Ryans turned down a long-term extension in February. He's scheduled to make $1.39 million this season.

"He's coming in," Dogra said today from his office in St. Louis. "I know the Texans are busy with the draft right now. At some point, I looked forward to have a discussion with them."

Ryans has been working out in Arizona for the last two weeks while the Texans have been working on conditioning at their Methodist Training Center. The First and Ten Youth Football Camp that Ryans is hosting with cornerback Dunta Robinson and receiver Andre Johnson, has been postponed from Saturday to April 25 at Butler Stadium.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6376641.html

BigBull17
04-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I disagree, almost every draft, there is some rookie stud linebacker, and DeMeco was one of those. Ever since that initial season where he was a tackling MACHINE, he's been on the decline, at least in production terms. If we lose DeMeco, I'll be really disappointed, but a MLB is far from a position that is hard to refill. We struck gold on OD, and he's already one of the top TEs in the league, how many other young TEs have produced? Remember Vernon Davis? Mercedes Lewis? As for CB, yes, CBs are at a premium right now, and while Dunta is starting to annoy me, we kind of need him, even though at this point I'm viewing him as a good number 2 corner who can tackle, but without elite coverage skills.

I agree that in a 4-3, Lb's are a little easier to replace, Giving a non-elite CB elite money is a very bad idea. If a team will bite, I'd move Dunta in a heart beat and draft a few CB's this year. Butler, A. Smith, S. Smith, ect...

TheRealJoker
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm no expert but it seems to me that those who show themselves to be a leader and a team first kinda guy (DeMeco having a change of agent/heart and deciding to participate WITH THE TEAM) should be paid more than those who do not conduct themselves as leaders and/or team first players (Dunta refusing to participate WITH THE TEAM and allegedly turning down 23+M guaranteed).

JCTexan
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree that in a 4-3, Lb's are a little easier to replace, Giving a non-elite CB elite money is a very bad idea. If a team will bite, I'd move Dunta in a heart beat and draft a few CB's this year. Butler, A. Smith, S. Smith, ect...

I agree... I would try to trade Dunta for a late first rounder, if noone bites trade him for a second. He wants out of h-town. I would try to get something for him before he leaves next year. :tiphat:

Texans_Chick
04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm no expert but it seems to me that those who show themselves to be a leader and a team first kinda guy (DeMeco having a change of agent/heart and deciding to participate WITH THE TEAM) should be paid more than those who do not conduct themselves as leaders and/or team first players (Dunta refusing to participate WITH THE TEAM and allegedly turning down 23+M guaranteed).

DeMeco is under contract.

Dunta hasn't signed his tender. He has no contract with the team. He wants a contract more than one year in length. He really should have a deal before he does much stuff with the team.

steelbtexan
04-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Dunta hasn't signed his tender. He has no contract with the team. He wants a contract more than one year in length. He really should have a deal before he does much stuff with the team.

Agreed

My problem with Dunta is that he has a much higher opinion of himelf than the Texans organization has of him. Rightfully so IMO.

Dunta has never been a team player & wants out.

I would see how he plays next year. Then either re-sign him long term or if he keeps the attitude he has now sign & trade him.

awtysst
04-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Agreed

I would see how he plays next year. Then either re-sign him long term or if he keeps the attitude he has now sign & trade him.

The problem is that do we want to slap the tag on him again? I think the time has come to trade him. I think we could get 2 2nd rounders for him. I would like to have him here, but he thinks he is worth top 5 receiver money, when he is really not that good. I think a combination of Bennett, Reeves, Molden, and newly drafted CB will be fine. We also have to remember that if Dunta does not get that big contract he might pout and bring down the locker room. We need an upbeat excited locker room, not one in which Dunta's unhappiness is abundant.

alphajoker
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM

I agree with you here...

but I disagree with you here. Although, Ryans would be my 1st priority out of signing b/w these three players, I wouldn't disregard OD. He is an elite TE, well, at least IMO...but really, if you were to name the top 5 TE in the league today, OD is in it and he should be rewarded for it. For a 4th Rd pick, he has far exceeded expectations.

CloakNNNdagger
04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
The problem is that do we want to slap the tag on him again? I think the time has come to trade him. I think we could get 2 2nd rounders for him. I would like to have him here, but he thinks he is worth top 5 CB money, when he is really not that good. I think a combination of Bennett, Reeves, Molden, and newly drafted CB will be fine. We also have to remember that if Dunta does not get that big contract he might pout and bring down the locker room. We need an upbeat excited locker room, not one in which Dunta's unhappiness is abundant.

Fixed it.:)

awtysst
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Fixed it.:)

Thanks buddy, I had a brain fart!

CloakNNNdagger
04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
It looks like another one of "our own" has been linked by PFT. aj's article Ryans' return puts the spotlight back on Robinson
[http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m4d16-Ryans-return-shines-more-light-on-Robinson]

Our Board is affording the humble beginnings to more and more.

disaacks3
04-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Dunta hasn't signed his tender. He has no contract with the team. He wants a contract more than one year in length. He really should have a deal before he does much stuff with the team. I'm truly curious, does this happen often with other players who are unhappy about getting the Franchise tag slapped on them?

If he's planning on sitting out, the Texans may well elect to try moving UP in this draft.

barrett
04-18-2009, 12:21 PM

He has a contract with the team. It's a one year deal worth almost 10 million dollars. Lots of players want longer contracts than they have. They still show up to work. He has a contract. He's just too busy pouting to sign it. I recognize that it's part of the league and part of the "game". But not participating in team activities like these work outs will have absolutely no bearing on his negotiations. If he's a team guy he needs to show up. If he believes that his 10 million dollar offer isn't worth having then that's one thing but if he's going to show up and play for his slighted fee later in the year then he should be there now. As I said, not participating has no effect on his contract status.

Lucky
04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
He has a contract with the team. It's a one year deal worth almost 10 million dollars.
You are wrong. The non-exclusive franchise tag was placed on Robinson. He can still seek out an offer sheet from any of the other 31 teams, and the Texans can match the offer or accept (2) 1st round draft choices as compensation. If Robinson were to workout with the Texans prior to signing the Texans franchise offer of around $10 million, he would be putting his future at risk with injury.

So, until Dunta signs the Texans franchise offer sheet, he is not under contract. And without a contract, he would be foolish to participate in team related activities. And why should Robinson lose any leverage in contract negotiations when another team could make an offer or seek a trade for his rights? This line of Dunta bashing is meritless.

Vinny
04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm truly curious, does this happen often with other players who are unhappy about getting the Franchise tag slapped on them?

If he's planning on sitting out, the Texans may well elect to try moving UP in this draft.I think most players who are franchised try not to sign their tender until the last minute since they are still pushing for some longer term security.

barrett
04-19-2009, 12:07 PM
You are wrong. The non-exclusive franchise tag was placed on Robinson. He can still seek out an offer sheet from any of the other 31 teams, and the Texans can match the offer or accept (2) 1st round draft choices as compensation. If Robinson were to workout with the Texans prior to signing the Texans franchise offer of around $10 million, he would be putting his future at risk with injury.

So, until Dunta signs the Texans franchise offer sheet, he is not under contract. And without a contract, he would be foolish to participate in team related activities. And why should Robinson lose any leverage in contract negotiations when another team could make an offer or seek a trade for his rights? This line of Dunta bashing is meritless.

I didn't say he was under contract. I said he has one. It's a one year offer for 10 million dollars. He hasn't signed it. You make a good point that it would jeopardize his chances of being traded for 2 first round picks. However, the team can accept any offer from any team for a trade. 2 first rounders, a bag of dirt, whatever. To the best of my understanding him signing the tag doesn't mean he can't receive offers. It means that the team has the rights to his trade value. If he doesn't sign it he doesn't play correct? He forfits the 1 yr offer of 10 million dollars and looses the right to play as well. I'm thinking that would not be an intelligent negotiation tactic.

Am I wrong about this? I am not suggesting that Robinson should be participating without signing the offer. That would be luducris. I'm suggesting that he should have signed it prior to the offseason program because not signing it and not participating doesn't have any effect on his contract negotiations.

I"m not "bashing" him. I"m suggesting that his decison to not sign, not to participate doesn't help his contract situation and in turn, actually hurts his team and his chances of performing at his highest level in a contract year. This line of contract negotiation is meritless.

Vinny
04-19-2009, 01:39 PM
I didn't say he was under contract. I said he has one. It's a one year offer for 10 million dollars. He hasn't signed it. You make a good point that it would jeopardize his chances of being traded for 2 first round picks. However, the team can accept any offer from any team for a trade. 2 first rounders, a bag of dirt, whatever. To the best of my understanding him signing the tag doesn't mean he can't receive offers. It means that the team has the rights to his trade value. If he doesn't sign it he doesn't play correct? He forfits the 1 yr offer of 10 million dollars and looses the right to play as well. I'm thinking that would not be an intelligent negotiation tactic.

Am I wrong about this? I am not suggesting that Robinson should be participating without signing the offer. That would be luducris. I'm suggesting that he should have signed it prior to the offseason program because not signing it and not participating doesn't have any effect on his contract negotiations.

I"m not "bashing" him. I"m suggesting that his decison to not sign, not to participate doesn't help his contract situation and in turn, actually hurts his team and his chances of performing at his highest level in a contract year. This line of contract negotiation is meritless.
If I were Dunta, coming off an injury, needing like crazy to be healthy for a long term contract....I wouldn't come in early either. Personally, I'm not gonna blame him for this. Heck, it is April.

Lucky
04-19-2009, 02:03 PM
To the best of my understanding him signing the tag doesn't mean he can't receive offers. It means that the team has the rights to his trade value.
OK, that's the misunderstanding. Once Dunta signs his franchise offer sheet, he is under contract. And the other teams can no longer approach him without tampering. The Texans could still approach teams regarding a trade and allow Robinson and his agent to negotiate with them. That would be at the Texans discretion. Dunta would have zero leverage in regards to negotiating his own deal.

The franchise cap is a double edged sword. It's not designed to allow one side to get everything they want. The Texans secured the rights to Robinson with the tag. That was the only leverage they had in negotiations. But, Dunta doesn't have to sign the deal until just prior to the start of the season to get the entire contract amount. Dunta's only leverage is to hold out until then. Bashing Dunta for this is as senseless as bashing the Texans for using the franchise tag.

Blake
04-19-2009, 02:15 PM
So who here thinks he is going to be moved this week or during the draft?

Lucky
04-19-2009, 02:25 PM
If the Texans take Malcolm Jenkins in the 1st, I could see the Texans moving Robinson for a 2nd round pick (plus a 2010 pick). But if the Texans felt Jenkins would be a better FS than CB, they would probably keep Dunta, anyway. So, it's pretty unlikely that Robinson is moved on draft day.

GP
04-19-2009, 03:05 PM
If I were Dunta, coming off an injury, needing like crazy to be healthy for a long term contract....I wouldn't come in early either. Personally, I'm not gonna blame him for this. Heck, it is April.

But can't he sit in on meetings, be out on the field and do VERY light work that's not going to get him hurt: I'm talkin' about walk-throughs with the team, being there with the other DBs to help coach them up. Certainly the other players would understand--Dude busted his butt to come back for the 2008 season, and has earned the sort of pass I am proposing.

You'd think that if re-injury is a concern, the FO and coaches could work out a deal to at least have him around the rest of the guys during OTAs.

I think we should move him NOW before he gets hurt in any of our games. He made it through the 2008 season, which in my opinion was a miracle. Someone will bite that bait, and cough up the picks. I don't even care about multiple picks at this point: I'd take this year's 2nd rounder and next year's high-round pick based on Dunta's performance with his new team after this season.

He wants out, or so it appears if he turned down Gamble money, and we need high-round talent. This is a deal I'd do if I were GM. I think the general consensus is that he's a great leader BUT...he's not worth our long-term planning and payment for the CB spot on our defense.

This could end up being a Sage/Vikings/Texans situation, where we lost the chance for a higher-round draft pick because we waited a year. All signs are pointing toward THIS season as being the season to start our run on dominating the AFC South, so why not throw that Dunta card out there and gamble on it?

This is not Aaron Glenn, Part II. It'd be apples-and-oranges if that's the reason for holding onto Dunta. I just think there's plenty of teams out there who want a good leader/run tackler/average cover man. Just my .02

GP
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Well, we OUGHT to move him. I'm easily "down" for that.

But will he? Probably not. I think this is a long, drawn out contract situation...and he'll suit up and play the regular season. I don't even see him playing the preseason, nor going to training camp.

He wants to do as little as needed, and then go out there and try to make it a contract year. Which might be good, and could just as easily be bad for all involved (if he gets hurt while still on our team).

I mean, this might just be a true GIFT if he wants out of Houston--He finished out the '08 season without re-injury, he's a good locker room guy, and he's quasi-Pro Bowl talent. Get what you can, and run like hell. That's my motto on this situation.

Pantherstang84
04-19-2009, 04:33 PM

But will he? Probably not. I think this is a long, drawn out contract situation...and he'll suit up and play the regular season. I don't even see him playing the preseason, nor going to training camp.

He wants to do as little as needed, and then go out there and try to make it a contract year. Which might be good, and could just as easily be bad for all involved (if he gets hurt while still on our team).

I mean, this might just be a true GIFT if he wants out of Houston--He finished out the '08 season without re-injury, he's a good locker room guy, and he's quasi-Pro Bowl talent. Get what you can, and run like hell. That's my motto on this situation.

That's what I'm saying. If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him. Heck. Give Dan Snyder a call. He likes to spend money stupidly. Get some picks from him and wish Dunta good luck.

CloakNNNdagger
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM

This, certainly would not surprise me. And, if this occurs, expect him to be in legitimate "real-time on-the-field" performance production no sooner than around game 4. He will not have the benefit of on-the-field experience where you learn to respond to the new defense and new teammates, and hone your timing. You will esssentially again be paying him for a shortened season. We don't have any idea if Robinson will ever again improve over last year's level of performance.............and that was far from exemplary. I, for one, have a hard time believing that he will even return to his overated early status. That being said, it would be well to revisit why the Franchise Tag is even used. It is to designate the "best" player or the most invaluable to the team..........................even with the loosest interpretation, Robinson is neither. Granted, there are those for the past year have been praying that he returns as the "mesiah" of the secondary, and now are willing to "bet the farm" to "experiment" with their "hope and a prayer" evaluation of the situation. Unfortunately, the ultimate outcome may more likely result in bad feelings all the way around, no trade, and/or reinjury with loss of value and permanent label of "damaged goods." I may be wrong. But I would bet the money will be spent and lost, relationships destroyed, and Robinson leaving without as much as a look back.

This is from an ESPN piece that is worthwhile reading in its entirety:

The dreaded honor of being 'tagged' (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3904690)

A franchise tag placed on a coveted player basically keeps him out of the free-agent pool. Thus, the tag usually creates great acrimony -- or certainly strained feelings -- between the player and the team.

When the franchise tag was first devised at the outset of free agency, it was actually meant as an honor to the players who received it. It was a merit badge of sorts, a tacit endorsement that the tagged veteran was the best player -- or at least the most irreplaceable player -- on the team. In fact, Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis delayed the free agency negotiations for weeks, contending that every team should have five franchise players because the core talent was so important to the integrity of a club.
The collective bargaining agreement affords NFL teams three primary ways to restrict players from leaving as unrestricted free agents.

The exclusive franchise tag prevents a player from negotiating with other teams. Teams must offer exclusive franchise players one-year contracts worth the most from various scenarios: the average of the five highest current-year salaries at the player's position, or the average of the top five salaries at the end of the previous season, or a 20-percent increase over his previous season's salary.

Today, just having one franchise player is usually one too many -- at least as far as the affected players are concerned.
The "honor" has instead evolved into a sort of scarlet letter, one which few players want to possess. In theory, a non-exclusive franchise player can solicit offers from other clubs, with the compensation for that player's signing with another team being two first-round draft choices sent to the original team. That theory, however, is hardly ever applied.

Franchise players almost never elicit contract offers from other teams, and very few have changed addresses since the advent of free agency.

Contract negotiations with franchise players are usually drawn out, and frequently contentious for both parties involved. Most veterans would prefer big up-front money, usually in the form of a signing bonus (basically the only truly guaranteed dollars in an NFL contract), and the franchise tag typically prohibits such immediate windfalls. It often results in long holdouts, which means a player misses much of the offseason program, if not part of training camp.

Lucky
04-19-2009, 05:19 PM
When the franchise tag was first devised at the outset of free agency, it was actually meant as an honor to the players who received it.Huh? Getting a one year deal isn't much of an honor. The franchise tag was designed to limit player movement. Few teams are willing to cough up 2 1st round picks & a mega contract on a given player. Because all of the franchise contract counts on the current cap year, it also can restrict a team using the tag from being active in free agency. Basically, it's a good way to keep teams from spending too much money.

I think the solution to the overuse of the franchise tag would be to give the player the average top 5 contract at his position in its entirety. So if the average of the top 5 contracts for CBs is 5 years, $50 million with $18 million guaranteed...that's what a franchise CB gets. The contract would need to adjust to the percentage the salary cap rises in a given year. The team doesn't lose its "franchise player", and the player gets the security that the other top players at his position receive.

barrett
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
OK, that's the misunderstanding. Once Dunta signs his franchise offer sheet, he is under contract. And the other teams can no longer approach him without tampering. The Texans could still approach teams regarding a trade and allow Robinson and his agent to negotiate with them. That would be at the Texans discretion. Dunta would have zero leverage in regards to negotiating his own deal.

The franchise cap is a double edged sword. It's not designed to allow one side to get everything they want. The Texans secured the rights to Robinson with the tag. That was the only leverage they had in negotiations. But, Dunta doesn't have to sign the deal until just prior to the start of the season to get the entire contract amount. Dunta's only leverage is to hold out until then. Bashing Dunta for this is as senseless as bashing the Texans for using the franchise tag.

Great point in bold.

I guess I haven't been looking at it from a stand point that he's "shopping around". I haven't heard any news that would suggest that. The point that I was focusing on was his use of his absence as a bargaining chip in his negotiations. I am assuming that he wants a long term deal with the Texans because he has said as much publicly in several interviews. If that's true and he does want to remain a Texan then his decision not to sign his franchise tag nor participate in the teams off season program as a bargaining chip is senseless. As senseless as the Texans signing a guy to a long term contract who is returning from a serious injury without having a full year at 100% to assess his actual value.

I can only figure you're talking to someone else at this point when you mention "bashing".

Texans_Chick
04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
DeMeco interview at the facility. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5236)

Brooke Bentley: Last year, you got really big during the offseason. You were lifting a lot. So how does your body feel now compared to last year?

DeMeco Ryans: I feel a little better. Iím leaner now this offseason Ė had to get off the junk food. But no, Iím feeling a lot better and Iím not going to get as big this year. Iím going to try to keep my weight down so I can just run around a lot more and just make plays.

Interesting. He did look a little too thick last year.

Lots of good stuff there.

Welcome Back Captain 'Meco!!!

Vinny
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
DeMeco interview at the facility. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5236)

Interesting. He did look a little too thick last year.

Lots of good stuff there.

Welcome Back Captain 'Meco!!!
Last season I was critical of him on several occasions and cut him a bit of slack because of his injuries but he he had a disappointing year any way you slice it as far as I'm concerned. I'm also kinda shocked that he had the mentality that he can eat a bunch of crap and compete at the highest levels. Doesn't sound like the focused, determined player I thought he was.

Texans_Chick
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Last season I was critical of him on several occasions and cut him a bit of slack because of his injuries but he he had a disappointing year any way you slice it as far as I'm concerned. I'm also kinda shocked that he had the mentality that he can eat a bunch of crap and compete at the highest levels. Doesn't sound like the focused, determined player I thought he was.

I dunno. I got the feeling last year that he biggin'd up to be the more physical MLB type. Obviously, it doesn't work for him.

Killer Bee
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I dunno. I got the feeling last year that he biggin'd up to be the more physical MLB type. Obviously, it doesn't work for him.

Thatís what I got out of the interview as well. It sounded like last year he bulked up to be more of a prototypical MLB. Thatís just not his game. Heís not going to be a physical gap filling MLB like Ray Lewis. I see him more as a finesse LB who reads quickly and slips through blocks. This year should be more akin to his first and second years.

Vinny
04-23-2009, 12:36 AM
I dunno. I got the feeling last year that he biggin'd up to be the more physical MLB type. Obviously, it doesn't work for him.I'm sure you are right but its amazing and a little disappointing that he could be in our system for a few years and think that eating junk food was a good way to bulk up.

barrett
04-23-2009, 02:18 AM
It's been working for me for a while now. I've got this bulky area that just sort of hangs out over my belt. I don't see what you're getting at?

I am just super glad he's back and ready to go. He seemed to be really playing better in the last 4 games last year. It may have been mostly injury related.

Blake
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm sure you are right but its amazing and a little disappointing that he could be in our system for a few years and think that eating junk food was a good way to bulk up.

I read that and had to pause and think about it for a moment. Does he mean junk food as in McDonalds or McDowells, or does he just lump all food that is not protein shakes, fruits and veggies, and other super healthy food into the "junk food" category. I have a hard time imagining DeMeco going to Taco Bell and getting a #4. I can see him eating at a restaurant and getting something on the menu that is not exactly great for you.

But it doesnt really matter to us at this point, once the Texans trade DeMeco and select Rey Maualuga at #15.

drewmar74
04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
I read that and had to pause and think about it for a moment. Does he mean junk food as in McDonalds or McDowells, or does he just lump all food that is not protein shakes, fruits and veggies, and other super healthy food into the "junk food" category. I have a hard time imagining DeMeco going to Taco Bell and getting a #4. I can see him eating at a restaurant and getting something on the menu that is not exactly great for you.

But it doesnt really matter to us at this point, once the Texans trade DeMeco and select Rey Maualuga at #15.

:mcnugget:

awtysst
04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm sure you are right but its amazing and a little disappointing that he could be in our system for a few years and think that eating junk food was a good way to bulk up.

I actually thought he meant that as a joke. I might be wrong though. I thought he was aksed why did he look so big and he jokingly said he ate a lot of junk food.

HOU-TEX
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I actually thought he meant that as a joke. I might be wrong though. I thought he was aksed why did he look so big and he jokingly said he ate a lot of junk food.

I think it was a joke too. If you watch the video he smiles and gives a little chuckle before he says "But no".

Man, players should carry scripts around with them to keep from saying anything misleading. Eh, it's the off season.

:texflag:

Polo
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm also kinda shocked that he had the mentality that he can eat a bunch of crap and compete at the highest levels. Doesn't sound like the focused, determined player I thought he was.

I think that he said that in a joking manner...