PDA

View Full Version : Another humorous RJ attack on Rick Smith.

dalemurphy
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I know this gets tiresome but he wrote an article today that actually looked like it may be worth my 5 minutes of time. Basically, he was assessing the off-season. Anyway, it quickly turned into another shot at Rick Smith.

He said, "Rick Smith's FA record is awful" then, he listed his examples: "Ahman Green, Rosevelt Colvin, Chris Brown, and etc..."

So, I responded to his article without name-calling or maliciousness. I argued that his argument is pretty weak if 75% of his evidence is Colvin, Brown, and "etc". Then, I talked about how difficult a position Casserly had put him in and detailed a long list of huge contracts like Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, David Carr... that were all on the team or on the books when he got here. Then, I listed a list of small but good signings Smith made in the past two seasons.

Anyway, two things happened. First, he deleted my post right away. Second, he changed his article. Now, it reads as follows:

"Smith's record in the draft is solid, but he has made some terrible free-agent signings. For instance, Ahman Green, Jacques Reeves and Anthony Weaver made over $40 million. That's wasted money. This time around, he's collecting a bunch of young, affordable guys."

He's so desperate that he is using Reeves as a poor signing now and also Anthony Weaver, who was signed by Casserly! Amazing!

nero THE zero
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I truly don't understand why people keep going back to his blog only to turn around and complain about it.

You know what you're getting before you ever click on the link. If you don't like it, don't click it.

Hardcore Texan
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I know this gets tiresome but he wrote an article today that actually looked like it may be worth my 5 minutes of time. Basically, he was assessing the off-season. Anyway, it quickly turned into another shot at Rick Smith.

He said, "Rick Smith's FA record is awful" then, he listed his examples: "Ahman Green, Rosevelt Colvin, Chris Brown, and etc..."

So, I responded to his article without name-calling or maliciousness. I argued that his argument is pretty weak if 75% of his evidence is Colvin, Brown, and "etc". Then, I talked about how difficult a position Casserly had put him in and detailed a long list of huge contracts like Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, David Carr... that were all on the team or on the books when he got here. Then, I listed a list of small but good signings Smith made in the past two seasons.

Anyway, two things happened. First, he deleted my post right away. Second, he changed his article. Now, it reads as follows:

"Smith's record in the draft is solid, but he has made some terrible free-agent signings. For instance, Ahman Green, Jacques Reeves and Anthony Weaver made over $40 million. That's wasted money. This time around, he's collecting a bunch of young, affordable guys."

He's so desperate that he is using Reeves as a poor signing now and also Anthony Weaver, who was signed by Casserly! Amazing!

The problem with your argument is that your using things like facts and logic and we know that doesn't have any place in RJ's blog. :winky:

RipTraxx
04-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I dont think its b/c he hates Smith.

I dont think its b/c he's a bad Journalist.

I believe its b/c the guy is twelve years old.

:chickendance:

TimeKiller
04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
That's one bald 12 year old.

Double Barrel
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Richard who? I've deleted that asshat Chronicle writer from my memory ages ago! :thinking:

dalemurphy
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Richard who? I've deleted that asshat Chronicle writer from my memory ages ago! :thinking:

I refuse to rubberneck when passing a wreck on the highway, even though I confess to having the same human frailties that all those dang rubberneckers have.

However, I just can't help myself from reading and responding to his articles, even though I know it comes from a deep, dark place in my soul and no good will come of it.

Mari-OWNED!
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
However, I just can't help myself from reading and responding to his articles, even though I know it comes from a deep, dark place in my soul and no good will come of it.

And because of that Richard Justice has already won. Doesn't he need hits to further keep his job?

I've never read a Richard Justice article btw, never will.

Sheesh I've probably really only read one John McClain article. (I don't have anything against him, I just haven't read any)

jppaul
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
God, someone should just club him like a seal.

TexansMVP
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
the problem with your argument is that your using things like facts and logic and we know that doesn't have any place in rj's blog. :winky:

lol!!! Seriously.

Texans_Chick
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
You made me look. In response to someone saying Weaver was on Charley:

[Charley Casserly did NOT sign Anthony Weaver and he did NOT draft Mario Williams.--Richard]

I could see him making the argument that ultimately those guys were Gary Kubiak's decision.

But I can't think of any way that Anthony Weaver's poorly drafted contract was Rick Smith's responsibility. Weaver was signed in mid-March. Casserly's resignation didn't happen until May. Rick Smith was signed in June.

?

ObsiWan
04-13-2009, 07:54 PM

First, its anyone's guess which guy (Kubiak or Smith) actually targeted these "major" F/A pickups. Smith could be acting under orders from the coaching staff or shopping totally on his own. As Pete likes to say, "I ain't in the room".
Secondly, it actually seems to me like your reply had a positive affect - if that's possible with Justice. He actually changed his tune from "Rick Smith is awful" to "well, maybe he's doing such a decent job". An admission like that, coming from a guy who obviously has a grudge against Rick, is rather amazing. I would have never predicted it. The fact that he erased your response just means he's not straight-up enough to give credit where credit is due.

You can work on that part of his personality next month.
:)

Specnatz
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM

I could see him making the argument that ultimately those guys were Gary Kubiak's decision.

But I can't think of any way that Anthony Weaver's poorly drafted contract was Rick Smith's responsibility. Weaver was signed in mid-March. Casserly's resignation didn't happen until May. Rick Smith was signed in June.

?

Rick Smith held a gun to Casserly's head and made him give weaver that contract.

CloakNNNdagger
04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Rick Smith held a gun to Casserly's head and made him give weaver that contract.

Do you have a link??

ObsiWan
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Do you have a link??

It was on YouTube but NFLN made them take it down after the hired Casserly
:D

CloakNNNdagger
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
That's one bald 12 year old.

No, he just feels that wearing a diaper makes him look 50 years younger.:secret:

Shaft75
04-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I would love to see RS and RJ duke it out in the ring. That would be so charitable for the Houston sports fans.

Wolf
04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I admit I am wanting to look (like someone said, rubberneck to see a train wreck), but I won't.

eminem was right.. controversy sells and gets noticed

barrett
04-14-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is with this guy. It's a blog. Seriously. Who cares? Either way. Read it, have an opinion, whatever. I don't understand why he gets to you guys. I think it's very interesting that Shirley felt the need to respond to him twice. I'm impressed that you were able to alter his opinion. You should be very proud of yourself. Except for the whole thing with Ephraam of course.

Ckw
04-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is with this guy. It's a blog. Seriously. Who cares? Either way. Read it, have an opinion, whatever. I don't understand why he gets to you guys. I think it's very interesting that Shirley felt the need to respond to him twice. I'm impressed that you were able to alter his opinion. You should be very proud of yourself. Except for the whole thing with Ephraam of course.

He has more than a blog. The guy is a sports writer for the only major newspaper in our town. And to top it all off, the guy is a complete moron. Logic and facts, as someone stated above, are not apart of the guy's repertoire. It wouldn't matter if he were just writing a blog; instead, he spits out his load of crap to the idiotic masses (those that are not members of this message board) who then eat up what he says and regurgitate it around town so guys like myself and dalemurphy have to clean it up and set people straight on the facts.

dalemurphy
04-14-2009, 05:38 AM

Well, there just aren't any pressing sock or color-coordination issues to deal with right now... If there were, believe me, I'd be focused on what is truly important!

nunusguy
04-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Rick Smiths first Draft is arguably looking like one of the 2 worst Drafts in Texans history while no Texan GM may ever match Casserlys breathtaking success in his final Draft. The record is what it is.
Regarding Smiths success in FA - so far there isn't much at all but to his credit he hasn't made any really big, costly type mistakes. Yet.

Texans_Chick
04-14-2009, 07:24 AM

?

Hey, he ends up *answering* this question over at his blog about Anthony Weaver's contract is on Rick Smith somehow:

[Charley Casserly made no significant decisions after Dan Reeves entered the picture. He had a good working relationship with Kubiak, but Kubiak made all the final personnel calls once he arrived. As for as the contract structure, that may have been the cap guy that left.--Richard]

How about? Oops, I goofed up. Anthony Weaver's contract wasn't on Rick Smith. Maybe RJ has Fonzie's problem. "I was wr...wrr...wrroon.....I wasn't right."

Nah, it takes way too much security in yourself to admit when you make mistakes. It's much better to try to weasel around things and heap scorn and abuse on those who suggest alternative views. Hey it works for him so why change it?

HOU-TEX
04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
I truly don't understand why people keep going back to his blog only to turn around and complain about it.

You know what you're getting before you ever click on the link. If you don't like it, don't click it.

This^^^^^^^

HoustonFrog
04-14-2009, 09:02 AM
I understand the need to read his stuff and to comment on it. It comes from the fact that we are in the 4th largest city and have one newspaper. In it you have an area dedicated to sports. We also have boards like this and talk radio. When one personality is supposed to be a person that people get their sports information from, then the information should be as factual as possible and the person should report it as such. It's one thing to debate things like who to draft, is this guy going to be good, etc. It's another to just not know facts when you are allegedly the face of sports news in some areas. So I can see people feeling the need to disseminate the sports news properly instead of letting some clown do it. We are probably in the minority when it comes to looking at details in sports news. Most people probably read it and assume it is true.

TexansSeminole
04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I understand the need to read his stuff and to comment on it. It comes from the fact that we are in the 4th largest city and have one newspaper. In it you have an area dedicated to sports. We also have boards like this and talk radio. When one personality is supposed to be a person that people get their sports information from, then the information should be as factual as possible and the person should report it as such. It's one thing to debate things like who to draft, is this guy going to be good, etc. It's another to just not know facts when you are allegedly the face of sports news in some areas. So I can see people feeling the need to disseminate the sports news properly instead of letting some clown do it. We are probably in the minority when it comes to looking at details in sports news. Most people probably read it and assume it is true.

I agree. I understand it completely. Unfortunately, it makes RJ feel good because he gets more hits and he's got people talking about his work. I doubt this guy gets fired. He's already done some extremely unprofessional things and it isn't like he is toning it down at all. I doubt his bosses have even said anything to him.

AnthonyE
04-14-2009, 09:33 AM

:spit:
This is a great way to start out my morning. I used to frequent his blog pretty often, and then I realized how little time he actually puts into them. Hilarious.

El Tejano
04-14-2009, 10:36 AM

As much as I don't like Jacques Reeves, he did lead the team in INTs with 5 and he scored a TD. Yes he gets burned but the INTs are still there. So that's not going to work RJ. Thank you come again.

TimeKiller
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh you know...that one guy....Richard Asshat!

No, he just feels that wearing a diaper makes him look 50 years younger.:secret:

Oh okay. I was wondering what the deal with the baby rattle was. I mean, at first I just thought it was a microphone because he would hold it out to interview people with but when Rick Smith tried to talk he would just shake it the whole time and suck his thumb. It's all coming together now...

BigBull17
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
God, someone should just club him like a seal.

Get to it Clyde.

And because of that Richard Justice has already won. Doesn't he need hits to further keep his job?

I've never read a Richard Justice article btw, never will.

Sheesh I've probably really only read one John McClain article. (I don't have anything against him, I just haven't read any)

I read two RJ piece's, and that was enough. The Dan Riley segment and a random Rick Smith sucks article. McClain is a little better, but Gonderia is better than Herpies. We are so cursed in our sports talk. Our reporters for our paper suck, and there are maybe 2 decent radio personalities. 610 has Rich Lord and Matt Jackson, a Giants fan and a 49ers fan talking Texans. At 1560 they are fans but can get a little frat boyish. I don't dig 790 that much. Its a shame that Houston has such bad coverage.

Double Barrel
04-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh you know...that one guy....Richard Asshat!

oh yeah, old man Asshat's boy!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/140890892_0e14101cb5.jpg

El Tejano
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Let's put it this way, Rick Smith is an general manager for a major sports league, in a major market and got the job at a fairly young age.

Richard Justice is a washed up sports writer. I don't care what award he got.

Drew_Smoke
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
We are so cursed in our sports talk. Our reporters for our paper suck, and there are maybe 2 decent radio personalities. 610 has Rich Lord and Matt Jackson, a Giants fan and a 49ers fan talking Texans. At 1560 they are fans but can get a little frat boyish. I don't dig 790 that much. Its a shame that Houston has such bad coverage.

Rich bores me (did anyone ever tell him that Alex Van Halen doesn't play bass)...Muppet Jackson was okay at night when it was the kids on the air. He has become very full of himself.

790...I listen to the Monsters (though I think that name is gay) but thats it there. Unless you count Doug Pike on weekends. They don't come over the air here in Katy after dark.

1560 is new and I hope it will improve after 11am. It has along way to go. They need to get that Katy Blowtorch up so they come in on my radio.

BigBull17
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Rich bores me (did anyone ever tell him that Alex Van Halen doesn't play bass)...Muppet Jackson was okay at night when it was the kids on the air. He has become very full of himself.

790...I listen to the Monsters (though I think that name is gay) but thats it there. Unless you count Doug Pike on weekends. They don't come over the air here in Katy after dark.

1560 is new and I hope it will improve after 11am. It has along way to go. They need to get that Katy Blowtorch up so they come in on my radio.

The 790 guys kind of annoy me. I think the most annoying guy in Houston may be Andre Ware. Holy crap talk about full of yourself. If 1560 was a little more serious and had less static, I would listen more. And ditched the ahole Justice. There, we're not off topic.

Specnatz
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Rick Smiths first Draft is arguably looking like one of the 2 worst Drafts in Texans history while no Texan GM may ever match Casserlys breathtaking success in his final Draft. The record is what it is.
Regarding Smiths success in FA - so far there isn't much at all but to his credit he hasn't made any really big, costly type mistakes. Yet.

I am not going to say a draft that is not even three years old is looking like one of the worst in team history. I think I will give the new defensive coaches at least one year to see how things improve.

Fred Bennett was looking good until the Richard Smith defensive mind set took over and Zach Diles has shown flashes and so has Okoye. Nothing will ever compare to 2005 and then 2004, so saying one of the two worst drafts is just flat out wrong. So three solid contributors wih the chance of them being starters is pretty damn good.

Damn I forgot Harrison was starting by seasons end as well. Not sure what the definition of arguably is but I think you may need to rethink that.

dalemurphy
04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I am not going to say a draft that is not even three years old is looking like one of the worst in team history. I think I will give the new defensive coaches at least one year to see how things improve.

Fred Bennett was looking good until the Richard Smith defensive mind set took over and Zach Diles has shown flashes and so has Okoye. Nothing will ever compare to 2005 and then 2004, so saying one of the two worst drafts is just flat out wrong. So three solid contributors wih the chance of them being starters is pretty damn good.

Damn I forgot Harrison was starting by seasons end as well. Not sure what the definition of arguably is but I think you may need to rethink that.

I have concerns about the 2007 draft as well. I think it still has some promise. Certainly Okoye, JJones, Bennett, Diles all have flashed. And, let's not forget that we picked up MSchaub a few weeks for that draft as well. It is unlikely the '07 draft will compare favorable to the '06 draft, which was a great one! However, to argue that it is one of the worst in Texan history, is pretty silly... consider all the picks we had in '02 and '03, those were some horrific drafts!

By the way, the '08 draft is looking great, IMO!
the 2nd rounder was spent to acquire Schaub,
DBrown,
Slaton... were both excellent picks.

Adibi
Molden
DBarber.. each flashed as rookies and will probably make a bigger impact this season.

SuperDan
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey, he ends up *answering* this question over at his blog about Anthony Weaver's contract is on Rick Smith somehow:

How about? Oops, I goofed up. Anthony Weaver's contract wasn't on Rick Smith. Maybe RJ has Fonzie's problem. "I was wr...wrr...wrroon.....I wasn't right."

Nah, it takes way too much security in yourself to admit when you make mistakes. It's much better to try to weasel around things and heap scorn and abuse on those who suggest alternative views. Hey it works for him so why change it?

The media as a whole hates being proven wrong. It's part of the reason news papers across the country are going out of business.

Malloy
04-15-2009, 03:14 AM
The media as a whole hates being proven wrong. It's part of the reason news papers across the country are going out of business.

Honestly it would be more fair to blame that development on the emergence of internet based news sources.

nunusguy
04-15-2009, 06:21 AM
I caught Richie on 1560s Sean & John show yesterday afternoon and he was very entertaining as usual. Always tells some great baseball stories if that's your cup-of-tea ?
I wonder what kind of arrangement (if any) there is between the Chronicle and 1560 during these tough economic, because besides Richie they've got Chron columnist Ken Hoffman on their payroll ?

bigbrewster2000
04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I caught Richie on 1560s Sean & John show yesterday afternoon and he was very entertaining as usual. Always tells some great baseball stories if that's your cup-of-tea ?
I wonder what kind of arrangement (if any) there is between the Chronicle and 1560 during these tough economic, because besides Richie they've got Chron columnist Ken Hoffman on their payroll ?

I dont think they have an arrangment. Granato and Hoffman are longtime friends. And they wanted Richie for his baseball knowledge. And you are right he does have good stories to tell....about baseball. It's when he delves into the fooball talk that he "jumps the shark"(thanks for the fonzie reference above TC :) ). Instead of acting fairly foolish on his blog when responding to posters, he should either admit he's wrong or just leave the post up for all to see and ignore it.

dalemurphy
04-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I dont think they have an arrangment. Granato and Hoffman are longtime friends. And they wanted Richie for his baseball knowledge. And you are right he does have good stories to tell....about baseball. It's when he delves into the fooball talk that he "jumps the shark"(thanks for the fonzie reference above TC :) ). Instead of acting fairly foolish on his blog when responding to posters, he should either admit he's wrong or just leave the post up for all to see and ignore it.

The problem I have with the whole thing is that a person with a readership has a responsibility to write with integrity. He is the head sports columnist of the only newspaper in Houston. With that position comes a certain amount of respect. Simply because of his position, many readers assume that he has knowledge and inside information on the subjects for which he writes. For him to dishonor himself and the Chronicle with so much neglectful and dishonest information simply because he is lazy and dislikes the Texan GM is unacceptable.

The fact that he isn't humble enough to admit when he's wrong is ridiculous and a clear indicator of a man without good character, but it really isn't the central problem I have with him as a columnist.

IlliniJen
04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
The problem I have with the whole thing is that a person with a readership has a responsibility to write with integrity. He is the head sports columnist of the only newspaper in Houston. With that position comes a certain amount of respect. Simply because of his position, many readers assume that he has knowledge and inside information on the subjects for which he writes. For him to dishonor himself and the Chronicle with so much neglectful and dishonest information simply because he is lazy and dislikes the Texan GM is unacceptable.

The fact that he isn't humble enough to admit when he's wrong is ridiculous and a clear indicator of a man without good character, but it really isn't the central problem I have with him as a columnist.

So for all you folks who like to say "if you don't like him, don't read him!" please read and re-read this post and a couple others in this thread that discuss why honest, fair and intelligent sports reporting SHOULD be the standard in the ONE paper of America's forth largest city.

Polo
04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
RJ is going to be around forever because he's like soooooooo popularz.

I don't read him except for what y'all post here yet I feel like I almost know the guy. Seems to me it would be more effective to boycott the product.

Battle Red Flash
04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
RJ obviously has it in for Smith, so his opinion is irrelevant to me. :shades:

DocBar
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with the facts.

Signed,
Richard Justice.

nunusguy
04-18-2009, 08:14 AM
This is a series the Rockets can and should win. Never mind that they havenít won one in 12 years. That history means nothing to most of the locker room and the entire coaching staff.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/6379733.html
This of course is not a football story, but a basketball story. But it's just Richie showing the true homer he is, backing the home team and all.
Richie J, got to love him.

Revolution
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Richie J, got to love him.

No, I don't...

painekiller
04-18-2009, 03:57 PM
No, I don't...

2nd that.

nunusguy
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't know about you, but I'm not about to abandon our boys just because the going has gotten tough. This is when we should support them. This is when they need to know we still care.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/05/this_is_a_time.html
You just gotta hand it to Richie, he's a prince of a man. In these tough times for the Astros, he's still got their back.

nero THE zero
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
I cannot believe people actually listen to "The Monsters"

Easily the worst sports talk show I have ever heard.

GP
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know about you, but I'm not about to abandon our boys just because the going has gotten tough. This is when we should support them. This is when they need to know we still care.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/05/this_is_a_time.html
You just gotta hand it to Richie, he's a prince of a man. In these tough times for the Astros, he's still got their back.

That was junior high journalism, nunusguy. Again.

I'm surprised that he allowed comments that were not aligned with what his viewpoint is. That's admirable of him. Very statesman-like. Almost human.

The Astros have always been a team who rides its crop of stars until they retire, and then there's nothing awaiting that dreadful day. I told myself that when Biggio quit, that it would signal a pitiful lull. We actually held that moment off for awhile, but it's here this season.

In the end, I don't know that Houston is a baseball town anyways. Even watching the game on TV, you get the sense that people are at their kid's piano recital.

The idea that the Astros can do better if we just hold hands and circle around them and speak positive things to them...is, well...laughable.

I guess he's learned to not throw out the headstone and R.I.P. descriptors, so now he's going the route of loyal and battle-hardened fan. LOL.

What a moron.

TimeKiller
05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Don't abandon the Astros?

Why not? They've done everything to abandon the Astros too! We don't play the tough, gritty baseball of the dome days and neither does anyone else on that sack of a team. They'll lose and continue to lose until sweeping changes are made.

Don't come crawling back in 2013 when the Astros are good again? No prob Richie.

They only need 3 or 4 more great drafts before things START happening their way. Wow. Why don't they just try to invent a time machine, go back to the days of old and snatch up all the legends and bring them back to the future? It'll take less time and the players will be better.

I hate Richard Justice's pitiful columns.

Specnatz
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
You folks realize he wrote that with extreme sarcasm don't you?

TimeKiller
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Uh....no.

Either it's way over my head or just not funny...

dalemurphy
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
He didn't have one of these ":jk:" I've learned on the boards that any good literary device must be punctuated with a funny character illustrating exactly what the literary device was.

Revolution
05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
I cannot believe people actually listen to "The Monsters"

Easily the worst sports talk show I have ever heard.

You OBVIOUSLY never listened to Brad Davies and Carl Dukes...

GP
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
You folks realize he wrote that with extreme sarcasm don't you?

I was unaware that RJ had a funny bone. If his intent was to take a swipe at the Astros, then congrats to him. I think the guy is so nutty that he really meant it. But then again, you're probably right. All he can do is slam and tear down. He might be a guy who would pass an old lady on the highway and not help her change a flat tire when there's nobody else around for miles and miles.

I won't go back and re-read the blasted thing, that's for sure. I had to take two showers after giving the Chronicle a web hit on it.