PDA

View Full Version : Warren Sapp's favorite current player in the NFL

Mari-OWNED!
04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/196

When asked who is his favorite current player in the NFL, this is what Warren Sapp had to say...

Andre Johnson. If I was paying money to go see someone play, it would be him.

If you have any questions about how good Andrew Johnson is, check fourth-and-10 against the Dolphins. Whooooo! You gotta see that play. I've been watching football a loooong time. It was fourth-and-10! He stepped up and grabbed the ball from between two DBs. Plus, he's a kid from The U, too.

A safe bet to pick the Florida boy.

It's just the little things like that, and the deserved respect our Texans playmakers are starting to get that puts a smile on my face! :doot:

Texecutioner
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
NIce find man. :goodpost:

Vinny
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I saw him talking up AJ on the NFLnetwork a few weeks ago....they are both from Miami U.

El Tejano
04-10-2009, 02:44 PM
You mean there are people who don't list Andre Johnson as their favorite current player in the NFL?

powerfuldragon
04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
You mean there are people who don't list Andre Johnson as their favorite current player in the NFL?

i'm with this guy

Mari-OWNED!
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM

As a Texan fan this is obviously hard to believe, but go to other places around the U.S., and you'd be surprised.

Austrian
04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Also on the question who he likes better AJ or Larry Fitzgerald:

Warren Sapp, NFL Network
Andre Johnson. Look at the numbers. Don't get excited, because the playoffs are a unique vehicle ... they put you in every living room across the country when nothing else is on. Andre Johnson has not yet had the opportunity with the Texans. People will see what I've seen all along.

I've seen Jerry Rice in every way possible ... and Andre Jonson? MY GOODNESS. Let's see what happens. Whoooo. This kid has it all.

ObsiWan
04-10-2009, 02:54 PM
As a Texan fan this is obviously hard to believe, but go to other places around the U.S., and you'd be surprised.

There are other places besides Texas?!?

Mari-OWNED!
04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Also on the question who he likes better AJ or Larry Fitzgerald:

Thanks for catching that! After the first question on Andre Johnson, I stopped reading the rest to start this thread... lol!

mexican_texan
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
There are other places besides Texas?!?
Link?

michaelm
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's the play that Sapp is referencing.

@ 2:32
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b94c4a

ah, screw it. Watch the whole video, I'm sure you'll all like the ending! :)

mexican_texan
04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I was at that game. The stadium was at best half full, but it was the loudest it was all game when Schaub ran it in.

The Texans are undefeated when I'm in the crowd, in case anyone is superstitious and has extra tickets.

Vinny
04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I was at that game. The stadium was at best half full, but it was the loudest it was all game when Schaub ran it in.

The Texans are undefeated when I'm in the crowd, in case anyone is superstitious and has extra tickets.I was at the game too and the stadium was much more than half full. It wasn't full but it was nowhere near half capacity.

mexican_texan
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
In the final seconds? From my point of view, it was as empty as I'd ever seen Reliant.

Jackie Chiles
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
another nice comment from the same chat:

House, Baltimore
02:31 PM ET
Godfather or Scarface? Who in your opinion, in the league today, would be a nightmare to face at game time?
Warren_sapp_40x55
Warren Sapp, NFL Network
Scarface. Fly Pelican fly! Look at the Pelican fly!

Wow. Peyton Manning on offense. I like Mario Williams. I really like him. I really like how he rushes from both sides, and you just can't find that combinatino of size and speed in one package. That's a young, powerful young man with a whole franchise around him. They just need a few pieces around him. I love him.

And I love Albert Haynesworth, too, when he's healthy.

Texans_Chick
04-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I was at the game too and the stadium was much more than half full. It wasn't full but it was nowhere near half capacity.

Seven rows from the field and I thought my ears were bleeding it was so loud.

One of my favorite quotes about that catch is from Bill Barnwell (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2008/10/houstontexans_talk_with_footba.html), the managing editor of Football Outsiders:

We wish we could pull off the mind-meld that allowed Matt Schaub's fourth-down prayer to go through a Dolphins' player's hands and into Johnson's last week. Imagine for a second, though, if Johnson could catch the ball without having to worry about using his technology to knock a pair of hands out of the way? That would be what it should be like this week against the Lions. It's kind of like Superman fighting Lex Luthor and then, a week later, he's buying groceries and someone holds up the liquor store next door with a plunger.

powerfuldragon
04-10-2009, 07:44 PM
In the final seconds? From my point of view, it was as empty as I'd ever seen Reliant.

i'll vouch for that. i was there, and i'll admit i was on my way out of the stadium, but i caught the play on one of the screens... the noise must've been at least partially piped in.

SheTexan
04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the clip Michaelm! Made my old ticker speed up a little! I can hardly wait for this season to get here!

mexican_texan
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
It was our first win of the year on a do or die play and everyone was probably hot. I wouldn't bet on the sound being artificial.

powerfuldragon
04-10-2009, 08:48 PM
It was our first win of the year on a do or die play and everyone was probably hot. I wouldn't bet on the sound being artificial.

man... maybe its just me, but it seems like they pipe in noise pretty often in that place. you can just tell piped in noise from the real thing.

RTP2110
04-10-2009, 09:21 PM
You know what I remember about that 4th & 10 play? All the people walking out stopping and going back to watch.

michaelm
04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I looked at the video from the link I posted earlier, and in one shot it looks like the sideline at field level is roughly half full, but the shot that shows the end zone seats looks kind of deserted.
Of course, it's only a quick glimpse at a limited portion of the stands, but for sure it doesn't look more than half full to me.

threetoedpete
04-11-2009, 01:34 PM

When asked who is his favorite current player in the NFL, this is what Warren Sapp had to say...

It's just the little things like that, and the deserved respect our Texans playmakers are starting to get that puts a smile on my face! :doot:

That was the Miami game....fourth quarter...time running out....4th & ten, absolutely a spectacular catch wedged between two Dbs. Jumps up over the front guy and snatches it out of the air with out hitting the guy and then gets out of bounds. HOF play for sure. Walter's big gainer the next play{or two} wasn't too shabby either.

Maddict5
04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
That was the Miami game....fourth quarter...time running out....4th & ten, absolutely a spectacular catch wedged between two Dbs. Jumps up over the front guy and snatches it out of the air with out hitting the guy and then gets out of bouds. HOF play for sure. Walter's big gainer the next play{or two} wasn't too shabby either.

it was a great play but he didnt get out of bounds or beat 2 DB's to get it. it was v yeremiah bell, the other guy was too far back. what made it great was that he had to put his arms either side of bells and still somehow caught it and didnt let bell swipe it away

walters play was a really underrated play in that drive. as great as aj's catch was we were still at the MIA 42 with 29 seconds left. still a long way to go in such a short time. great throw by schaub (he only got 1.5 to 2 sec protection). when walter got out of bounds that when i was certain we were going to win (i had been confident throughout however fwiw). another underrated play was AD's grab that got back all the yds we lost on the first sack straight away

threetoedpete
04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Well I'm not going to argue symantics with you...I'm pretty sure they were trying to bracket A.J. whether the safety got there or not....

What I do know is A.J. had to go almost vertical for the catch, bend his shouders over the guy, with out touching him...and make the catch. You have a higher bar than do I suppose. I'd rank the catch right up there with Dave Casper's catch against Baltimore....where Casper was running a post, and Stabler threw the ball behind him to the flag [cone]. In terms of body adjustment to the ball, A.J.'s catch was spectacular. And few could of made it with that type of body adjustment invovled. Not to mention the concnetration invovled catching it being half blind to the flight of the ball.

El Tejano
04-11-2009, 05:09 PM

You do realize I was just trying to be funny right?

Mari-OWNED!
04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
You do realize I was just trying to be funny right?

You do realize that I was trying to be funny too right? Sheesh...

False Start
04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Even though Sapp likes AJ and all, I still cant stand him. The cheap shot on Chad Clifton, and then wanting to fight Mike Sherman after that game put him on my do not like list. However, it is good to see AJ get some recognition on a nationally televised program.

awtysst
04-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I saw him talking up AJ on the NFLnetwork a few weeks ago....they are both from Miami U.

To me, its interesting he chooses a quite guy like AJ. I would have thought he preferred a more vocal guys like Kellen Winslow Jr, Willis McGhaee, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, or Ed Reed. All Miami U NFL loud mouths.

Mari-OWNED!
04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
To me, its interesting he chooses a quite guy like AJ. I would have thought he preferred a more vocal guys like Kellen Winslow Jr, Willis McGhaee, Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, or Ed Reed. All Miami U NFL loud mouths.

You forgot the biggest loudmouth of all... RAY LEWIS!

Texanfan4ever
04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
That was awesome. We were 10th row right there. That makes you think you might have a heart attack. I jumped so high I almost killed myself.

I can't wait for August!!! Thanks for the reminder of the goodtimes.

Double Barrel
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM

You must not have experienced 2-14. That was a brutal year as a Texans fan. There were some games where maybe 5,000 fans were left in the stadium by 0:00.

Austrian
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Warren Sapp at it again, he really likes AJ and Mario!!:texflag::fans:

Ben, UK
Who is your favourite player in the league at the moment?

Warren Sapp, NFL Network
Andre Johnson.

Tad , St. Louis, Missouri
In your opinion, who is the best D-linemen in the league right now?

Warren Sapp, NFL Network
From inside, you take Haynesworth. If I'm looking for an end, I love Mario Williams' game.

Link (http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/252)

TimeKiller
05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Nice.
Can't hurt to get noticed.

Carr Bombed
05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Rhodri Jones, Tredegar, Wales
Hi Warren. What do you think is the biggest quality Monte Kiffen has and how do you think he will be as a college coordinator ?. Thanks bud.

Warren Sapp, NFL Network
Happy trails Monte Kiffin, enjoy Rocky Top.

Hmm.....sounds like Warren wasn't too fond of Mr. Kiffin... Especially with how he went out of his way to praise Rod Marinelli later on in the chat.

Runner
05-14-2009, 07:10 PM
So which is worse - that blowhard not liking you, or liking you?

I guess I should put one of these :) here.

Carr Bombed
05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
So which is worse - that blowhard not liking you, or liking you?

I guess I should put one of these :) here.

I always though Warren came off as a pretty level headed and likeable guy....so if he doesn't like you then it might say something.

Maybe Monte Kiffin isn't all he's cracked up to be.....I mean he did raise that obnoxious son of his.

Runner
05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I always though Warren came off as a pretty level headed and likeable guy....so if he doesn't like you then it might say something.

I think just the opposite. His mouth never stopped in his playing days.

Andre Johnson embodies many of the qualities I respect in an athlete. Sorry to say, that puts him in the minority of "star" players. Sapp is his polar opposite - much more like a Haynesworth.

Just my opinion.

Carr Bombed
05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I think just the opposite. His mouth never stopped in his playing days.

Andre Johnson embodies many of the qualities I respect in an athlete. Sorry to say, that puts him in the minority of "star" players. Sapp is his polar opposite - much more like a Haynesworth.

Just my opinion.

Just, because a player talks alot...that doesn't make him a ass. It's what he says when he talks that makes him a ass or not. Warren is a pretty down to earth funny guy who just says what everybody else is usually thinking. (which made him a very popular player around the league) He's more like Shannon Sharpe....yes he says alot, but he was always a team player, not a team divider.

Carr Bombed
05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Warren Sapp was a talker, but as far as I remember, he didn't have the face stomping, cheap shotting QB streak in him that Haynesworth does.

Yeah I know....that's also why I thought the "Haynesworth comparison" was kinda out of left field. Sapp was nothing like Haynesworth is.

Runner
05-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Sapp cheap shotted an O-lineman, possibly all of the way out of the league (I don't know if he ever came back) on an interception or fumble return. Legal hit, but cheap shot well away from the play. Someone does that to Winston and I doubt you'd think he was a great guy.

Warren Sapp was not well liked around the league.

Lucky
05-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Sapp cheap shotted an O-lineman, possibly all of the way out of the league (I dont know if he ever came back) on an interception or fumble return.
Chad Clifton. He came back, and had a Pro Bowl year in 2007.

Sapp is a turd. Yes, he was a turd who could play. But a turd all the same. I loved how Mike Sherman got in Sapp's face after the game where Clifton was given the cheap shot. Wish we had coaches (or players) who would do the same after a Haynesworth, Florence, or Allen cheap shot.

Maybe Pete Townsend said it best, in The Who's Dirty Jobs:

My karma tells me
You've been screwed again.
If you let them do it to you
You've got yourself to blame.
It's you who feels the pain
It's you that takes the shame.

Runner
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Chad Clifton. He came back, and had a Pro Bowl year in 2007.

Sapp is a turd. Yes, he was a turd who could play. But a turd all the same. I loved how Mike Sherman got in Sapp's face after the game where Clifton was given the cheap shot. Wish we had coaches (or players) who would do the same after a Haynesworth, Florence, or Allen cheap shot.

Thank you! I thought I was going insane and had lost touch with the real world.

Carr Bombed
05-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Sorry, but both of y'all are wrong.....yes Sapp looked very wrong on that play.....but it was ONE PLAY in a 13 year career....one bad play in thousands of plays over a 13 year career doesn't make a "TURD". There is a ton of stuff that goes on during every play and in most pile ups so nobody knows what went down on that day. Again one play during a 13 year career........not a "TURD".

I'll take a Sapp on this team ANY DAY....would welcome that type of player actually. I actually thought we were getting Sapp lite when we took Amobi, but it looks like that's not happening.

Lucky
05-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Sorry, but both of y'all are wrong.....yes Sapp looked very wrong on that play.....but it was ONE PLAY in a 13 year career....one bad play in thousands of plays over a 13 year career doesn't make a "TURD".
Just because we have differing opinions, doesn't make me wrong. And if you followed Sapp's career a little closer, you would know there's more than one incident of his turdish behavior. I love your justification regarding Sapp's blind side shot, though Sapp never suggested that Clifton had played dirty. But, maybe Shaub said or did something to deserve the hits he took, too. We weren't on the field. Giving a guy a blind side hit is just part of the game, right?

Runner
05-15-2009, 06:30 AM
I don't think I'll continue on with this "Warren Sapp the Beloved" discussion past this post. I see no point in going into detailed examples to point out a player's character flaws. My original "blowhard" comment is usually as far as I'll go. Two final comments:

1) I'm not as flat out wrong and as far out in left field as stated.

2) If I ever become infamous, I'm going on Dancing with the Stars to show what a great, funny guy I am. Seems to work for Cuban, Sapp, etc.

InterestedJeff
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
first off, I think you have to have a mean streak to play in the NFL, especially down in the trenches. Second, that hit was legal at the time. He was "blocking" for one of his teammates that intercepted the ball. Now I've only played high school ball but when an oportunity presented itself to sloberknock someone, I took it, especially if it was the QB. You cant compare a legal play to stomping on someone's face, it's not even close to the same thing. I've followed Sapps entire career, from his fall in the draft to his retirement in oakland. He was one of the best defensive linemen of our generation.

Carr Bombed
05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Giving a guy a blind side hit is just part of the game, right?

In football it happens, so yeah. Sometimes tempers get flared and players step over that line.

Texecutioner
05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry, but both of y'all are wrong.....yes Sapp looked very wrong on that play.....but it was ONE PLAY in a 13 year career....one bad play in thousands of plays over a 13 year career doesn't make a "TURD". There is a ton of stuff that goes on during every play and in most pile ups so nobody knows what went down on that day. Again one play during a 13 year career........not a "TURD".

I'll take a Sapp on this team ANY DAY....would welcome that type of player actually. I actually thought we were getting Sapp lite when we took Amobi, but it looks like that's not happening.

Sapp didn't do a ton of turdish things? Are you kidding me?

Well Runner and Lucky have already pointed out how Sapp threw that cheap shot at that one guy on the Packers and then practically tried to fight Sherman when he called him out and told him to put a jersey on like some fool.

Sapp did all kinds of dirty stuff going all the way back to his days at Miami. The U. Sapp was notorious at Miami for being a total ass and was always showing poor sportsmanship.

Apparantly you've forgotten about how Sapp ran through another team's workouts before a game which was very disrespectful and immature. The next week Arrington threatened that if Sapp did that against their team that he would get up and go after his ass. Then instead of doing that Sapp brushed an official for no reason and got fined for that, and the week after that for some stupid reason he went and knocked one of the cones or whatever you call those things by the end zone. He got fined for 3 straight weeks for petty little stupid antics all because he wanted attention.

Was he a great player for many years? Absolutely. He'll be in the HOF. Would I like a guy like him on the Texans despite his bullshit? Absolutely.

But he was a total turd to the tenth power no question.

I do really like him as an analyst though. I think he is funny and very truthful and I enjoy his comentary.

Texan_Bill
05-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Warren Sapp
Andre Johnson. If I was paying money to go see someone play, it would be him.

If you have any questions about how good Andrew Johnson is, check fourth-and-10 against the Dolphins. Whooooo! You gotta see that play. I've been watching football a loooong time. It was fourth-and-10! He stepped up and grabbed the ball from between two DBs. Plus, he's a kid from The U, too.

A safe bet to pick the Florida boy.

Who is this 'Andrew' Johnson and can we pick him up?? :specnatz:

Carr Bombed
05-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Sapp didn't do a ton of turdish things? Are you kidding me?

Well Runner and Lucky have already pointed out how Sapp threw that cheap shot at that one guy on the Packers and then practically tried to fight Sherman when he called him out and told him to put a jersey on like some fool.

Sapp did all kinds of dirty stuff going all the way back to his days at Miami. The U. Sapp was notorious at Miami for being a total ass and was always showing poor sportsmanship.

Apparantly you've forgotten about how Sapp ran through another team's workouts before a game which was very disrespectful and immature. The next week Arrington threatened that if Sapp did that against their team that he would get up and go after his ass. Then instead of doing that Sapp brushed an official for no reason and got fined for that, and the week after that for some stupid reason he went and knocked one of the cones or whatever you call those things by the end zone. He got fined for 3 straight weeks for petty little stupid antics all because he wanted attention.

Was he a great player for many years? Absolutely. He'll be in the HOF. Would I like a guy like him on the Texans despite his bullshit? Absolutely.

But he was a total turd to the tenth power no question.

I do really like him as an analyst though. I think he is funny and very truthful and I enjoy his comentary.

Who cares if he ran through another teams warmups....that's part of the intimidation factor.....just little things to get in the other team's heads.

I also don't care what he did in college.....we're talking about kids, kids do crap in college..who cares.

The fact is, the guy was ALWAYS a great teammate and ALWAYS beloved in his lockerroom. That to me, means he isn't a turd. Maybe we have different definitions of "turds". A turd to me is a guy who divides and causes friction on his own team. T.O. is a turd.......Warren.....not so much. Football is a physical sport, it's not meant to be played nice so I don't really give a crap if Sapp made his opposition mad, that attitude is one of the things that made him a great player. Like I said before.....I'll gladly take a player like Sapp on our defense..."turdish" attitude and all.