PDA

View Full Version : Oakland game

J. Sean Wonton
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm going to do a play by play on our defense against Oakland because I am bored. I want to do the Oakland game because it was late in the season when we should have been playing well. Played well in the two games that sandwiched this one, but we didn't play well in this game. Also, they ran it at us, and it's a weakness of ours. This first drive was Oakland's first drive for a TD on their first possession in a year.

1st Quarter

1-10-OAK 36 (14:55) 25-J.Fargas right tackle to OAK 40 for 4 yards (90-M.Williams).

The hole opens up between the RT and RG and between Johnson and Weaver.

Ryans attempts to plug the hole but is nullified by the FB.

Bentley is blocked by a TE on the outside to the offense's right away from the hole. He's not in a position to make a play. He didn't read the play or may

be where he is out of design.

Weaver is blocked by the RT and makes a weak attempt to break the block. In my opinion, he could have made a greater effort to close that hole.

Okoye is being blocked by the LG and LT. I think Okoye should have spun to his left here and tried to get behind these lineman as they're moving upfield.

Instead he either tries to run ahead of the tide of blockers or is carried with them.

The LG quickly moves past Okoye and picks up Wilson.

Johnson is blocked by the C and RG to the left to create the hole. Johnson is fighting to get to the ball.

Then the RG continues forward to block Greenwood. Greenwood is pretty much sitting there waiting for the ball to come to him when he's spun out of the way

by a blocker.

Williams is also close to the runner, unblocked, and moving to the runner (the run was away from Williams). Williams makes the tackle.

2-6-OAK 40 (14:22) 2-J.Russell pass deep right to 80-Z.Miller to HOU 39 for 21 yards (23-D.Robinson).

Weaver is blocked by the RT. His attempt to beat his blocker is again weak. He bounces off of the blocker and does a run in place for a second before

bouncing off of his blocker again.

Johnson fights through the RG and C, forces the QB out of the pocket, and trips with the C on his heels.

Okoye starts to beat the LG and the HB puts a great block on him. The HB actually stands him up with a hit.

Williams gets a quick block from a TE which then goes downfield, then he's blocked by the LT on a close arc and another TE playing an arc behind the LT to

help him recover when he gets beat.

The camera does not show what happens in coverage, but the same TE that put a quick block on Williams and went downfield is the one that makes the catch. As

the camera picks up the catch, Robinson and Greenwood are there with the TE. Robinson knocks him out of bounds.

On a replay, it looks like Greenwood should have had him as he crossed the middle, but he doesn't. Greenwood is too slow to keep up with him or seems to

think that the TE is going into Robinson's zone. Robinson comes across the top to knock him out of bounds.

1-10-HOU 39 (13:57) 25-J.Fargas left tackle to HOU 38 for 1 yard (25-N.Ferguson).

It's hard to tell what's happening on this play. The offensive line is sliding to the left. OUr linemen have reversed so from the offense's left it's

Weaver, Johnson, Okoye, and Williams. The HB comes at the left corner as the offensive line slides to the left. Williams is there to keep the HB from going

anywhere but left. Okoye also breaks through the line. On the left side where the action is happening, we happened to have a couple of guys, Bentley and

Ferguson, up close looking to blitz perhaps. Bentley gets blocked by the TE, but Ferguson comes around to tackle the HB. Wilson is there behind Ferguson

should he have missed the tackle. I don't like this play design. It also looks like we were expecting this play.

2-9-HOU 38 (13:22) 25-J.Fargas right end to HOU 38 for no gain (56-M.Greenwood, 91-A.Okoye).

Okoye drags the RG to the HB and makes the tackle right behind the FB.

Weaver gets stood up by the LG and tripped by the LT.

Johnson gets blocked by the C. The C keeps an arm on his chest as they run toward the ball.

Greenwood gets to the ball and really halts the progress of the FB and as a result the HB. Okoye hits the HB from the side as the HB is stuck behind the FB

and Greenwood.

Williams, Ryans, and Ferguson get jammed up behind two blocking TE's as the FB and HB come around that corner.

Reeves actually takes out the RT.

3-9-HOU 38 (12:39) (Shotgun) 2-J.Russell pass short left to 20-D.McFadden to HOU 28 for 10 yards (23-D.Robinson) [90-M.Williams].

Zgonina beats the RT and gets to the QB as he dumps off the screen pass.

Williams beats the LT and gets to the QB as he dumps off the screen pass.

Okoye beats the RG as the QB dumps off the screen pass.

Bulman beats the LG as the QB dumps off the screen pass.

Reeves is blocked by the LG.

Robinson gets around the LG and gets a hand on the HB's foot for the tackle.

Barber is there to fall on the HB as he's going down.

No idea where the LB's are on this play. I see the DL sucked into the screen, and I see DB's around the ball. That's it. I think Ryans was late getting to

QB and late getting to HB. Don't see Bentley or Greenwood anywhere.

1-10-HOU 28 (11:57) 25-J.Fargas right tackle to HOU 22 for 6 yards (66-Deljuan Robinson).

Weaver gets blocked by TE and RT. RT is only on him for a second. TE has him until HB passes.

Zgonina hits C as LG and RG pass by him, flanking him, and Zgonina falls down along with the C.

Greenwood gets blocked by the RG.

Ferguson gets blocked by the LG.

Williams gets around the corner and chases after the HB from behind. The ball is ran away from him. It looks like they are trying to not only keep the ball

away from Williams but also tire him out.

Ryans gets blocked by the FB.

Robinson gets blocked by the LT, but he pushes off of the LT and grabs the HB's legs as he passes.

Bentley again goes to the outside on the offense's right, but this time he reads the play and comes back to help stop the HB.

Wilson comes in to help stop the HB as well.

2-4-HOU 22 (11:20) 25-J.Fargas left tackle to HOU 20 for 2 yards (66-Deljuan Robinson).

Williams is blocked by the LT.

Zgonina falls or is put on the ground by the C. The RT either comes over and lays on him or had some small role in putting him on the ground. I can't tell.

Robinson makes the tackle. It looks like Oakland doesn't know he's out there.

Weaver is blocked by a TE.

Ryans is blocked by the LG.

Greenwood is blocked by the RG.

Bentley halts the FB's progress and stops the HB as well.

3-2-HOU 20 (10:41) 2-J.Russell pass deep right to 81-C.Schilens for 20 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Williams can't get around the LT to the QB fast enough. The LT puts him on a very wide arc.

Zgonina is blocked by the LG and C.

Okoye is blocked by the RG and RT.

Weaver gets a diving block from the HB as he is allowed a straight run at the QB.

Greenwood seems to be spying the QB and sits at the line throwing his hands up.

Ryans is in coverage in the middle.

Reeves gets beat by several yards for the touchdown.

11-S.Janikowski extra point is GOOD, Center-59-J.Condo, Holder-9-S.Lechler.

HST 0 OAK 7 Plays: 8 Possession: 4:26

Texan4Ever
04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Are you watching NFL Rewind? Anyways, great job...are you going to do the whole game or key plays?

RipTraxx
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Are you watching NFL Rewind? Anyways, great job...are you going to do the whole game or key plays?

NFL rewind. Greatest 20 bucks i've ever spent.

J. Sean Wonton
04-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Yeah, I'm watching NFL Rewind. I'm going to do all of our defensive plays.

GP
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
The Oakland game was a day of complete futility.

We looked like Dom Capers 2-14 team.

We could have been 9-7.

awtysst
04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
The Oakland game was a day of complete futility.

We looked like Dom Capers 2-14 team.

We could have been 9-7.

To me it was an example of when we thought we were good enough to half-ass our way to a W. We are not good enough to half ass anything. We came in thinking we would roll through them and thought more about Chicago. Oakland was a wakeup call that we cannot take any team lightly. The Bear game taught us if we play hard we can hang with any team in the league. The Oakland game taught us that if we don't focus we can lose to any team in the league.

GP
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
To me it was an example of when we thought we were good enough to half-ass our way to a W. We are not good enough to half ass anything. We came in thinking we would roll through them and thought more about Chicago. Oakland was a wakeup call that we cannot take any team lightly. The Bear game taught us if we play hard we can hang with any team in the league. The Oakland game taught us that if we don't focus we can lose to any team in the league.

Very true.

Good point(s) in that post.

disaacks3
04-05-2009, 07:14 PM
This game and the one in Denver a few seasons ago are games I really try to avoid watching. I can stand losing, I just hate seeing my team absolutely give up.

Norg
04-05-2009, 11:57 PM
i dont remember the game much other then it was cloudy dark and kinda drizzling

and the seem to shut down AJ .....

barrett
04-06-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm planning on watching it as part of my 4th quarter of the season analysis. I'm not looking forward to it at all other than hoping to get some explainations for why we were so flat.

pbat488
04-06-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm planning on watching it as part of my 4th quarter of the season analysis. I'm not looking forward to it at all other than hoping to get some explainations for why we were so flat.

Yeah that Oakland game was an absolute abomination, but the team was coming off arguably one of the franchises biggest wins. Going from that extreme of elation and adrenaline they must have felt after that game to playing Oakland in dreary and bad conditions? I can only imagine how tough it was for them to get "up" for playing in that one; especially compared to the week before.

cc_me
04-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I enjoyed that game.:) I enjoyed the whole day.

michaelm
04-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah that Oakland game was an absolute abomination, but the team was coming off arguably one of the franchises biggest wins. Going from that extreme of elation and adrenaline they must have felt after that game to playing Oakland in dreary and bad conditions? I can only imagine how tough it was for them to get "up" for playing in that one; especially compared to the week before.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree, but there should have been no excuse whatsoever.
I'm tired of us rationalizing the reasons behind this teams lack of success.
Hopefully, we can get to 9-7 or better a few times, and wash the stink of losing from the franchise.
That's a whole lotta washin'...

michaelm
04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I enjoyed that game.:) I enjoyed the whole day.

Haven't we owned you guys completely, other than that one game?
You almost sound like a Texans fan, basking in such a hollow victory.

Yeah, you fit in well around here.