PDA

View Full Version : Thought yall may like this

Bulluck53
04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Per the Tennessean...
Titans agree to terms with QB Ramsey

By Jim Wyatt April 3, 2009

The Titans created some competition behind starting quarterback Kerry Collins on Friday by agreeing to terms with journeyman Patrick Ramsey.
Advertisement

Ramsey, who’ll sign a modest one-year deal, could compete with Vince Young for the No. 2 quarterback job. At the least, the Titans are looking for someone to push Young this offseason and in training camp.

A seven-year veteran, Ramsey spent the past two seasons with the Broncos. He had visited the Patriots as well as the Titans this offseason.

A first-round pick of the Redskins in 2002, Ramsey has played in 37 games with 24 starts, throwing for 5,930 yards with 35 touchdowns and 30 interceptions.

He played in just three games for the Broncos, going 31-of-51 for 281 yards and a touchdown. Mike Heimerdinger worked with Ramsey for a season in Denver before becoming Titans offensive coordinator.

The Titans carried three quarterbacks last season – Collins, Young and Chris Simms – after carrying only Collins and Young the previous season. Simms, a free agent, signed with the Broncos last month.

Reach Jim Wyatt at jwyatt@tennessean.com or 615-259-8015.

infantrycak
04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Seriously, what are the thought on VY in TN now? Is it Collins may take us to the promised land and then VY will take over the legacy or VY is toast and just a backup?

I know this is the rivalry section, but I was looking for an honest answer rather than smack.

Grams
04-04-2009, 07:57 AM
My first thought was that the Titans don't have much confidence in VY.

Maybe being pushed in training camp will either show the Titans that there is still some hope for him or will settle the argument once and for all. If VY ends up 3rd on the depth chart at the start of the regular season, that should be the signal that he is a bust.

Texans_Chick
04-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Seriously, what are the thought on VY in TN now? Is it Collins may take us to the promised land and then VY will take over the legacy or VY is toast and just a backup?

I know this is the rivalry section, but I was looking for an honest answer rather than smack.

I would think VY's greatest value would be if they could trade him. Kubiak's review of his play is that he can do some amazing things "off schedule." In other words, dude can freelance.

But if you want consistent, QB play, I think it would be a pain in the ass to try to incorporate him into your system and to take advantage of what he excels in. Especially, when his legs repeatedly have had problems. A non-running VY is not someone you want on the field.

The QB situation in the league is so weak, you'd think some team would take a flyer. Or maybe not. If you can't get on the field over Kerry Collins, it says something about you.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I would think VY's greatest value would be if they could trade him. Kubiak's review of his play is that he can do some amazing things "off schedule." In other words, dude can freelance.

But if you want consistent, QB play, I think it would be a pain in the ass to try to incorporate him into your system and to take advantage of what he excels in. Especially, when his legs repeatedly have had problems. A non-running VY is not someone you want on the field.

The QB situation in the league is so weak, you'd think some team would take a flyer. Or maybe not. If you can't get on the field over Kerry Collins, it says something about you.

Part of this problem is apparent blinder emphasis on the ground game by Fischer, with lesser priority to address the QB position. In addition, it is my firm belief that if it weren't for a childish "screw you" (Texans) game by Adams, VY would not have been Fischer's choice, and would now be fermenting on another team.

Blazing Arrow
04-04-2009, 01:35 PM

There is still a division between fans. Most are leaning to him never amounting to anything. This move with Ramsey pretty mush tells me that they think he is done. A week or so ago Fisher came out said Collins is the starter and that Young would need to do a lot of work before he could even get a shot. But just like the people who supported Carr to the bitter end we have fans that think he is some how not getting a fair shot. I think it is garbage and him refusing to come on the field in the Jags game and basically being drug out by the coach just to get injured on the next play makes me feel he is on his way out. Shows he lacks the fortitude to keep his head in the game.

Silver Oak
04-04-2009, 02:18 PM
But just like the people who supported Carr to the bitter end we have fans that think he is some how not getting a fair shot.

I think your comparing VY to DC speaks volumes about where he is now.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I think your comparing VY to DC speaks volumes about where he is now.

To make the comparisons truly fair, to DC's credit, he became gun shy, but still hung in there till the end. VY became gun shy, and ran far, far away.

Being "defeated" as both were in their own unique environments, the condition may still be temporary. But "giving up" tends to give one a permanently available option.

I never thought I'd be acknowledging a DC positive.:shades:

TITAN1
04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Most of us are hoping VY is learning from the sidelines, I am one of those. Kerry is the present, I hope VY is the future.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Most of us are hoping VY is learning from the sidelines, I am one of those. Kerry is the present, I hope VY is the future.

I don't think that I'd be wishing for that............:thinking:

thunderkyss
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
IF the Titans think there is a remote possibility for Patrick Ramsey to beat VY for the #2 spot, then they really should be trying to trade him now, while they can get something for him. As soon as they name Ramsey #2, VY has no value.

If he can't even be the #2 QB in Tennessee after three years, they are going to have to cut their losses, and move on.

stingray
04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I have a feeling that VY will end up a Texan as a backup one day...

Thorn
04-05-2009, 12:11 AM

Can he return punts? Maybe he can keep the water bottles full. :thinking:

Bulluck53
04-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Personally, I would love to have faith in VY and say he can succeed again but I don't see it happening. The antics he pulled to go along with his lack of progression over the past three years just proves that he is indeed a moron. I want him to do well and be the future here, but its not going to happen. He won't be a Titan in '10.

Ole Miss Texan
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Vince has got to mature off the field before he can even begin to develop into a legitimate NFL quarterback. I'm not aware of any 'bad' things he's done off the field like some other players, but he's got to grow up and mature as a person and human being... it's just part of the maturing process. Until he does that, he can't move ahead as an NFL QB. Simple as that.

Vinny
04-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to live in Nashvegas and still have some friends there (lived in Goodlettsville actually - 10 mins from the stadium)....I think the mood is still split and disappointed. Most of my friends pretty much say that if he can't make it in Fisher's run oriented offense he isn't gonna make it anywhere.

Polo
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
He needs to become a better passer. If he does that, then a lot of his problems dissapear...The question though, is will he ever do that...

Texecutioner
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
He needs to become a better passer. If he does that, then a lot of his problems dissapear...The question though, is will he ever do that...

He's not really going to improve in passing that much unfortunately. He slightly got better in college, but once he got to the pros since season one I never saw any improvements at all. Last season in pre season and the beginning of the regular season he looked awful.

Not only that, it's not just his passing it's his field vision and knowing where to look and not look. He totally draws defenders in when he eyes his WR's that he is about to throw to and with that side arm lob pass, it's easy for defenders to get over there because there is no zip on it.

I watched VY and Tavaris Jackson a lot last pre season, and VY always seemed to have a lot more potential, but Jackson looked a lot better. He made his reads better, threw a nicer ball, and made better decisions.

Plus, if VY's attitude and ego hasn't gotten any better than he has no chance.

Goldensilence
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Regarding Vince: this is the final wake up call to him to get it together or it's the end of the road in Tenn for him. Ramsey, like Collins, isn't all world but they can at least read a defense. How Vince reacts prior to camp and in camp isgoing to tell a lot about his future not just in Tennessee but around the league. I think there will be chances still just because of the nature of the position leaguewide and it's importance. If I was Vince right now there's two guys I would be calling Donovan McNabb and Randall Cunningham because these two guys grew from being running QBs primarily to guys who can do both well. Also...everyone loves a comeback.

Regarding the Titans: if you're moving forward with Kerry as your guy, don't waste a pick on WR this year. If he couldn't utilize Randy Moss and Jerry Porter in his time in Oakland he's not likely to utilize a rookie well either. Noy saying Moss was all world in Oakland but, I think the fact Kerry just was inept at running the offense there had to frustrate both Moss and Porter. Better to solidify the line and top off the defense, because that is what is going to carry them.

Vinny
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Jerry Porter cannot even utilize Jerry Porter so that ain't a shock.

nunusguy
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
VYs football career is effectively over - in Nashville. If there was anybody who ever needed a change of scenery its Vince Young. I have no idea where he should go but he needs a fresh start elsewhere if he's going to remain in the NFL.

Double Barrel
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
VY should be the poster child for revisions to the the way first round picks are paid. Dude is a multi-millionaire because of overwhelming hype. He is proof positive that success in college does not guarantee success in the NFL, and the fact that these high draft picks get paid such large sums of money when they have not even played a down in an NFL training camp is yet another example of what is wrong with the current system.

Pay the veterans that have proven themselves, and make the rookies earn it, IMHO.

BullBlitz
04-06-2009, 12:55 PM

In addition, it is my firm belief that if it weren't for a childish "screw you" (Texans) game by Adams, VY would not have been Fischer's choice, and would now be fermenting on another team.

Exactly.

Bud Adams had a great few months parading Vince Young around in front of Houston and UT fans after we passed on him for eventual Pro-Bowler Mario Williams, but now the fanfare has passed.

Personally, I hope that VY finds success either with the Titans or another team before he's done though. I hope he gets another chance somewhere.

CloakNNNdagger
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
A recorded call Vince to Suicide Hotline leaked (http://www.webcastr.com/videos/humor/vince-young-suicide-hotline-leaked.html).

HOU-TEX
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
IMO, VY's NFL career relies on his intelligence. At this point he doesn't have the intelligence to become a true NFL QB. If he's willing or able to learn, he might still have a chance to succeed at this level.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Dread-Head
04-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey ...I wouldn't count the guy out just yet. If he's lucky they'll trade him to some team that can turn him into a decent QB.

Ole Miss Texan
04-06-2009, 05:02 PM
At the time of the draft I really thought Tennessee would be smart about it and take Matt Leinart to pair up with Norm Chow or take the hometown hero Jay Cutler. Vince, imo should not have gone before Oakland. I think he would have been just the player to fit on the Raiders (would have looked real good in the black and silver). Having VY would obviously have effected their record but that gets us into the '07 draft when they should have taken Calvin Jonson over Jamarcus Russell.

Tennessee just had to go and screw things up for not only themselves but several other teams!

chicagotexan2
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I think he's athletic enough to still have a productive career, but I don't think he'll master reading defenses.

Hookem Horns
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I think he's athletic enough to still have a productive career, but I don't think he'll master reading defenses.

I don't think his ego will allow him to go there. If he can't play QB he will probably quit football and come back to Austin to find a way to make of ton of money off of all his worshippers here.

El Tejano
04-08-2009, 12:35 PM

My brother in law (Cowboy fan) says that if VY becomes a FA or something we should sign him just so that Bob Mcnair can take pictures holding up a middle finger to the league with Mario and Vince right next to him.

My wife says that since I took a picture with Kasey Studdard and not Vince at Texas Land and Cattle Company, Vince is going to end up being a Texan one day and I will regret that I never got his autograph or something.

Ole Miss Texan
04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
My brother in law (Cowboy fan) says that if VY becomes a FA or something we should sign him just so that Bob Mcnair can take pictures holding up a middle finger to the league with Mario and Vince right next to him.

My wife says that since I took a picture with Kasey Studdard and not Vince at Texas Land and Cattle Company, Vince is going to end up being a Texan one day and I will regret that I never got his autograph or something.

I've thought about this. Add in if Reggie Bush becomes a free agent. He'd be a good 3rd down back to compliment Slaton and double as our returnman too. I think it'd be great if we got all three when it's all said and done!