PDA

View Full Version : Cushing and Matthews Positive for Steriods

ArlingtonTexan
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
USC LB’s Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_linebackers_test_positive.html

Xcellerator
04-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Well that narrows down the list.

Carr Bombed
04-03-2009, 12:57 AM
I wonder how long it'll take for NFL network to pull their "Brian Cushing" path to the draft spot. (you know the one where it just shows him pounding wieghts.

DiehardChris
04-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Tyrone McKenzie in the 2nd, here we come. LOL

(I don't think this will affect our draft plans at all)

LORK 88
04-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I want one of the major, credible networks to confirm this. This website also reported than Vontae Davis and Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana which hasn't been broken yet, so who knows. Interestingly enough, Cushing said that he tested negative at the combine so someone is lying.

Carr Bombed
04-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Well if this is true, I pray Malcolm Jenkins falls to us, because after him there's not really a bonified defensive player worth taking at our spot.

mussop
04-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Well if this is true, I pray Malcolm Jenkins falls to us, because after him there's not really a bonified defensive player worth taking at our spot.

Beenie Wells is starting to look better and better dont you think? :stirpot:

On the bright side now maybe we can gt Mathews with a second round pick.

Goatcheese
04-03-2009, 02:50 AM

I'd take the Phonz. He's really impressed with all of his work outs, along with his monster college production. I have him as the 18th best player in the draft at this point.

jppaul
04-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Its really fascinating, isn't it? A man who rams his SUV into a vehicle occupied by his wife and child, or and a man who tests positive for roids. Whats the difference, you ask? Signability for the Texans apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Riley

Maddict5
04-03-2009, 05:57 AM
i heard raji tested positive for marijuana at the combine... hadnt heard about this

Señor Stan
04-03-2009, 07:17 AM
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_linebackers_test_positive.htmlUSC LB’s Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

Sounds like some pre-draft posturing by a team who wants one of these guys to drop to them. Gotta love the draft!

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Interesting. This story will go on for a few weeks...

dsorc
04-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Sounds like some pre-draft posturing by a team who wants one of these guys to drop to them. Gotta love the draft!
But if it was a team floating this out, every other team would know it was fake. We are not privy to the combine test results but I have to believe that all the teams already know who tested positive and for what. It might affect draftniks but I doubt this affects teams drafting philosophies unless it's true.

threetoedpete
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I want one of the major, credible networks to confirm this. This website also reported than Vontae Davis and Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana which hasn't been broken yet, so who knows. Interestingly enough, Cushing said that he tested negative at the combine so someone is lying.

Three weeks out and there's five different unconfirmed reports on five guys ? And four of them are started by this guy ? Never did figure out who started the rumor on Warren Sapp did we ?

First, you gotta believe a guy....who doesn't post his name on the web or his work.....has access to an NFL source. Second that an NFL source.....would risk getting caught, especially after the Vincent Young fiacso.....reporting this info.....with this comisioner....this head hunting commissioner to a guy who doesn't post his name on his work. If it's true all five guys are off our board no doubt. If it's true. Don't blame them. Millions of dollars involed....if you're not cheating, you're not trying to win hard enough.

nunusguy
04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
According to NFLDraftBible.com (and not us), USC linebackers Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the Combine.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Three weeks out and there's five different unconfirmed reports on five guys ? And four of them are started by this guy ? Never did figure out who started the rumor on Warren Sapp did we ?

First, you gotta believe a guy....who doesn't post his name on the web or his work.....has access to an NFL source. Second that an NFL source.....would risk getting caught, especially after the Vincent Young fiacso.....reporting this info.....with this comisioner....this head hunting commissioner to a guy who doesn't post his name on his work. If it's true all five guys are off our board no doubt. If it's true. Don't blame them. Millions of dollars involed....if you're not cheating, you're not trying to win hard enough.

I'm tired of people making that excuse for them. I could kill someone for the insurance would that be ok? It's illegal, but I'm only trying to make some money.

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Yikes... so I've got one of my guys smoking the mary jane (Raji) and another of my favorites supposedly shooting up roids (Matthews). $10 next week, this guy releases a rumor Michael Oher eats babies or something.

Cushing has been on record saying he never failed a test at USC and stated at the Combine he doesn't do steroids. Now there are ways I guess he could get around the tests given while at USC.

Now are these allegations strictly for steroids or for performance enhancing drugs? Or are the tests for things that mask the use of steroids/performance enhancers. I don't want to go to a trash website like that while I'm at work. I hope these rumors prove to be false.

Htownsportsfan
04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I am still not sure if its true but I found this also.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/149917-cushing-and-matthews-test-positive-for-steroids

El Tejano
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Well I've heard of Matthews making a pro white athlete website with a picture of a black baby or something before. Alot of things are going to leak on these guys.

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Yikes... so I've got one of my guys smoking the mary jane (Raji) and another of my favorites supposedly shooting up roids (Matthews). $10 next week, this guy releases a rumor Michael Oher eats babies or something.

Cushing has been on record saying he never failed a test at USC and stated at the Combine he doesn't do steroids. Now there are ways I guess he could get around the tests given while at USC.

Now are these allegations strictly for steroids or for performance enhancing drugs? Or are the tests for things that mask the use of steroids/performance enhancers. I don't want to go to a trash website like that while I'm at work. I hope these rumors prove to be false.

I hope it isn't true as well, but these are two guys who grew alot in a very few years.

Texans_Chick
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
My thoughts are here:
Positive combine drug test rumors, Frank Bush talks Texans defense, and yoga Texans (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/04/frank_bush_speaks_about_the_te.html)

Some people will make the analogy to Warren Sapp dropping in the draft but being in the drug program now is more draconian than it was then. If these rumors are true, if they get busted again, they don't get a free pass. They are going to get nailed.

I guess we will have to wait some before these rumors are confirmed or denied but it certainly jacks around with the top of the draft board if they are true.

MojoMan
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Time to trade down and draft a cornerback late in the first round.

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Well I've heard of Matthews making a pro white athlete website with a picture of a black baby or something before. Alot of things are going to leak on these guys.
That was on a facebook page he created that got completely blown out of proportion. Dumb move by him? Absolutely... but people took offense to what was an inside joke between he and the rest of the USC football team.

He created a facebook page called "White Nation" because thats what the black USC football players called the white players- it's an inside joke between the players. This nickname was started by one of the black players that called some of the white one, "white nation". Sedric Ellis, a black DT selected top 10 by the Saints last year was a member of the group and good friend of Matthews. He explained that it's an inside joke between them and that Matthews isn't a racist at all.

One girl headed up publicizing the group. Both Matthews and Ellis responded to her. At first Clay was a little upset because she didn't understand. Then she explained her intentions, and she said Clay was much nicer and apologized. He immediately wrote an apology on the page, explaining where he was coming from. He said his best friend and roommate is black and he meant nothing bad from it, it was just poor judgement.

That stuff happens. you get caught up in your immediate family and you have a racial joke between your close friends of a different race. Poor judgment yes, but it's a nonfactor. He's learned his lesson that he's got to be P.C. and everything will get taken out of context.

Htownsportsfan
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
After spending some time looking around almost all of the recults from search engines are just links to other blogs the reference the same draft bible page. If its true you would think there would be a feew other reputable sites reporting it evn if they just called it a rumor.

A test for performance enhancing drugs is way more important to me than a guy hitting the hippie lettuce! Its far more difficult to evaluate what a guys skill set will be at the next level once he is off the sauce.

Texans_Chick
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
After spending some time looking around almost all of the recults from search engines are just links to other blogs the reference the same draft bible page. If its true you would think there would be a feew other reputable sites reporting it evn if they just called it a rumor.

A test for performance enhancing drugs is way more important to me than a guy hitting the hippie lettuce! Its far more difficult to evaluate what a guys skill set will be at the next level once he is off the sauce.

It's all bad. The players know they are going to be tested at the combine. If they can't stay of banned substances during the combine, then you have to question how smart they are.

And it makes them subject to the drug program right away. Heightened scrutiny.

dalemurphy
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
The thing to realize is that if they tested positive at the combine, then all 32 teams know it. So, regardless of rumors floating around on the outside, the teams that will be drafting on April 25th aren't at all concerned about them because they've had those test results for weeks.

Texecutioner
04-03-2009, 11:56 AM
It's all bad. The players know they are going to be tested at the combine. If they can't stay of banned substances during the combine, then you have to question how smart they are.

And it makes them subject to the drug program right away. Heightened scrutiny.

Totally. If this is true or even the marijuana thing is true, it's bad on two levels because not only are these guys doing stuff that isn't legal around the league, but it really calls their brain functioning into question big time if you ask me. I mean hell, all of this stuff before the draft is extremely important to the rest of their lives because these rookie contracts are so high now days, and the smalllest slip is Millions of dollars potentially and if any of these guys can't even put the weed down just for a month or two before the combine, you've got to be wondering how dumb can this guy be and what kind of stupid decisions does this guy make on a regular basis if he is willing to throw potential Millions out the window just to hit the dope a few more times. Then the steroids is a much bigger issue, especially for Cushing who has had rumors about him involving steroids for over two years now. If this is true, his stock could fall a lot, and then you have Mathews whose stock has risen a whole lot due to workouts and all, and if this guy is that stupid as well, then what does that say about what kind of decisions he might make in the next 5 or so years?

Texans_Chick
04-03-2009, 12:05 PM
The thing to realize is that if they tested positive at the combine, then all 32 teams know it. So, regardless of rumors floating around on the outside, the teams that will be drafting on April 25th aren't at all concerned about them because they've had those test results for weeks.

Some teams will take them off their boards if the drug test stuff is true because it means they will be subject to the drug program immediately. And it makes a team question the players ability (steroids) and brain (getting busted at the freaking combine). If they get busted a second time, their discipline will be worse than if they got busted for the first time.

The Boston Globe report suggests that the positive tests haven't gone to the teams yet. It means that each team will look at these guys extra carefully if the rumors are true.

Mr teX
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Totally. If this is true or even the marijuana thing is true, it's bad on two levels because not only are these guys doing stuff that isn't legal around the league, but it really calls their brain functioning into question big time if you ask me. I mean hell, all of this stuff before the draft is extremely important to the rest of their lives because these rookie contracts are so high now days, and the smalllest slip is Millions of dollars potentially and if any of these guys can't even put the weed down just for a month or two before the combine, you've got to be wondering how dumb can this guy be and what kind of stupid decisions does this guy make on a regular basis if he is willing to throw potential Millions out the window just to hit the dope a few more times. Then the steroids is a much bigger issue, especially for Cushing who has had rumors about him involving steroids for over two years now. If this is true, his stock could fall a lot, and then you have Mathews whose stock has risen a whole lot due to workouts and all, and if this guy is that stupid as well, then what does that say about what kind of decisions he might make in the next 5 or so years?

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/2009/01/steroids-at-usc-no-way/

He's actually had these rumors around him since he was in high school. people use the pictures in the above link & make up their mind from their eyeball test. But as i've checked around, those pictures are used out of context a bit. the 1 of him standing in the shorts is him coming off of an injury to his shoulder/knee in his Sohmore yr. i believe it was; i.e. no working out for a bit. The other of him in "hulk" phase is present day.

beerlover
04-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I wonder what McClain is saying now :spit:

Texecutioner
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM

He's actually had these rumors around him since he was in high school. people use the pictures in the above link & make up their mind from their eyeball test. But as i've checked around, those pictures are used out of context a bit. the 1 of him standning him in the shorts is him coming off of an injury to his shoulder/knee in his freshman i believe; i.e. no working out for a bit. The other of him in "hulk" phase is like 2 years later.

I've never said what I thought about his little steroid issue. I don't have a clue. I just know that the rumors have been out there for a long time going back to HS like you mentioned and the HS picture to me does look like he was juicing personally.

digitalswim
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm surprised "the General" hasn't come galloping to Matthews defense on his Chron blog since he is the biggest homer for Clay out there.

nunusguy
04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I dunno if this is a fair question, so take that into consideration when I ask
"does this give us the basic insight into how Clay Matthews got from being
a 166 lb walkon to a 240 lb starting USC LB" ?

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM

He'll make up some excuse and say its all a lie and blah blah blah... Or rip him a new one and say we were never gonna draft the guy anyway blah, blah, blah. I can't stand to listen to him anymore.

Mr teX
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I've never said what I thought about his little steroid issue. I don't have a clue. I just know that the rumors have been out there for a long time going back to HS like you mentioned and the HS picture to me does look like he was juicing personally.

Wasn't saying u specifically, Just that most in general are finding these pics & thinking the same thing that i bolded from your post.

It's certainly possible though to get that big without steroid use over a 1-2 year span. Hell Brian Orakpo had a nationally televised spot showing how scrawny he was coming out of high school compared to the beast that he is now. We're all weary of steroids given what's been going on the last couple of years in baseball.

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 12:55 PM

My thoughts exactly

HOU-TEX
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM

According to Clay, that was a rumor too. Who knows what's true anymore. lol. From his chat:

Solomon Chapman, Chicago,IL 03:22 PM ET
Is it true that you were 180lbs going into college? If so what did you do to get to the size you are now?

Clay Matthews Jr., LB, USC
My weight going into college was around 220 pounds, but somehow it gets exaggerated to make a better sotry. I was a late-bloomer physically, and then with getting into the weight room so much during college, I got to where I am today.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/181

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
According to Clay, that was a rumor too. Who knows what's true anymore. lol. From his chat:

Ummm. I don't want to sound like an ass, but if u are 220 coming out of high school, you were not a late bloomer physically. Most D-1 linebackers are not 220 when they come out of highschool. Most of the LB recruits I read about are 200-210. Shoot even DE prospects at 220 are not late bloomers.

I'm a bit confused by this late bloomer story.

If he was 220 coming out of high school I would completely dismiss the "late bloomer" excuse for why he didn't see the field much until this past year. 220 is plenty of weight, especially if you redshirt and put more weight on during your redshirt season. Clay matthews did redshirt.

Mr teX
04-03-2009, 01:09 PM

he needs to check with his own dad about that then..
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/02/like_father_like_son_nfl_teams.html

"He was 160 pounds as a junior in high school," his dad said. "His senior year, he just got taller and bigger. But you're recruited your junior year. I was thinking he wasn't going to be able to play football, and I was fine with that."

Big Poundcake
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Probably not good for either guy if this is true.

I think could/would hurt Cushing more than it would hurt Matthews.

bah007
04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Matthews probably means he was 220 at the beginning of his freshman year of college, not the end of his senior year of high school.

He supposedly weighed 166 as a junior in high school. Then he would have had an offseason, a summer, a season, another offseason, plus another summer to gain weight before college.

A lot of players routinely gain 8-10 pounds of muscle in just their first few weeks working out with the college strength coach because they are given specific workouts (for their body type, position, and strengths) not just the generic team workouts in high school where every guy does the same lifts. Some guys have even gained as much as 15-20 pounds in just that span.

But if you do the math, Matthews must have still put on about 55 pounds in two offseasons. That is a lot...

dalemurphy
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm surprised "the General" hasn't come galloping to Matthews defense on his Chron blog since he is the biggest homer for Clay out there.

He will. Unfortunately, he's still about 18 hours from breaking the story!

Errant Hothy
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/report-of-matthews-drug-test-refuted/

“Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I’m sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that “any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.

“Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

mexican_texan
04-03-2009, 03:24 PM
He supposedly weighed 166 as a junior in high school.
At which point? I know a few of my friends bulked up quite a bit during their junior year and the following offseason. The guys I knew that were going on to play in Division 1 bulked up around 20 lbs. their senior year after the season, though in one case, a DT just got fat.

TEXANRED
04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
He will. Unfortunately, he's still about 18 hours from breaking the story!

Excuse me sir, but I am the biggest homer for Clay Matthews. :bat:

“Our office represents Clay Matthews. Your website is reporting, via unnamed sources including one NFL team, that Clay tested positive for steroids at the NFL Combine. As I’m sure you know, the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances clearly states that “any Club or Club employee that publicly divulges, directly or indirectly, information concerning positive tests or other violations of this Policy (including numerical summaries or specific names of persons) or otherwise breaches the confidentiality provisions of this Policy is subject to a fine of up to $500,000 by the Commissioner.

“Further, neither Clay nor our office has received notification of any positive test, whether for steroids or any banned substance. I also have been informed by an attorney at the NFL League Office that they have not received notification from the Independent Administrator of any Draft-eligible players testing positive for steroids during the pre-employment drug testing conducted at this year’s Combine, and likewise, that they have not informed the member NFL clubs of any drug testing results. Govern yourself accordingly.

Good letter.

And unless the people want to come forward and identify themselves they need to shut there pie hole. :aggressive:

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Well let's look at the exact quotes:

"He was 160 pounds as a junior in high school,"
"My weight going into college was around 220 pounds"
Those are not two contradicting quotes no matter how you slice it. Junior year in high school could mean August of his junior year entering the season. Going into college could mean August of his freshman season at USC. That could be up to a 2 year time frame by my math.

Polo
04-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Those are not two contradicting quotes no matter how you slice it. Junior year in high school could mean August of his junior year entering the season. Going into college could mean August of his freshman season at USC. That could be up to a 2 year time frame by my math.

I dunno...

If he were talking about August I would think that he would have said "at the beggining of my junior year"....Even if you say that he was 160 in August who's to say he wasn't 160 in May? Not many players gain a bunch of weight during the season...

I wouldn't rule out working out naturally, but I think it would be naive to just dismiss the fact that he could have infact juiced (not saying that's what you're doing, just a general statement)...

ArlingtonTexan
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM

Mild surprise...pretty balanced and wait and see versus the defensiveness that I expected

Just about every media outlet in the country, including the Chronicle, is trying to confirm the NFLDraftBible.com report that USC outside linebackers Clay Matthews III and Brian Cushing tested positive for steroids at the Indianapolis scouting combine.

As I write this from my Las Vegas hotel room, NFLDraftBible.com is the only site reporting about Matthews and Cushing. The site also says Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji, Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis and Florida receiver Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana.

At some point in the scouting process, every team gets a report from the combine telling them which players tested positive for what. So far, I haven't seen another website pick up the report, but I know everyone will be trying confirm it, too.

If it's true, every team, including the Texans, will investigate fully and then have to make a careful decision about whether they want to pay a first-round pick millions of dollars and worry about the steroid issue.

In my first mock draft, I had the Texans taking Cushing. In my second mock, I have them taking Matthews. I've wanted them to take Matthews, but if the report is true, I'm reserving judgment until I learn a lot more.

Every year, players test positive for something - usually steroids, supplements that are on the NFL's banned list or recreational drugs. Some have terrific careers and never test positive again. Others never produce.

It always amazes me that prospects know months ahead of time they're going to be tested for drugs at the combine, and then they're dumb enough to get caught.

Anyway, this is a developing story, so stay tuned for more information

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I dunno...

If he were talking about August I would think that he would have said "at the beggining of my junior year"....Even if you say that he was 160 in August who's to say he wasn't 160 in May? Not many players gain a bunch of weight during the season...

I wouldn't rule out working out naturally, but I think it would be naive to just dismiss the fact that he could have infact juiced (not saying that's what you're doing, just a general statement)...

My whole point is trying NOT to speculate one way or another. I quoted his father and Clay III, himself as what they actually said. It's very vague and people are trying to take them as decisive statements. It's a time frame, not an exact date.

If we want to get analytical into what his dad said, maybe we should blame him for not being more specific? Football season is from, what, August- December? What if he meant right when Clay finished his sophomore year and this was during the summer? Lots of people say they're the next grade up when they finish finals the year before. In actuality he could potentially have meant June immediately following his sophomore year finals in high school- Clay would be termed "a junior". Most likely his father proabably meant Clay's playing weight his junior year of high school which would be Sept./Oct/Nov. ish that year.

We can speculate all we want, I was re-quoting them so people could realize we can't pinpoint the exact dates they were each talking about. What if they were even off of the weights a tad too?

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
This may sound like an odd question, but are there any banned substances by the NFL that aren't addressed by the NCAA? What if a "drug" were legally available but was banned by the NFL... these prospects aren't officially in the NFL yet and are normal citizens. Technically are they no longer associated with the NCAA?

Not trying to make excuses at all but just thinking outside the box.

Polo
04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
In actuality he could potentially have meant June immediately following his sophomore year finals in high school- Clay would be termed "a junior".

From my experience I can't think of many ball players that would think of it that way...Most tend to categorize it by what football season they're in..

Most likely his father proabably meant Clay's playing weight his junior year of high school which would be Sept./Oct/Nov. ish that year.

I agree

We can speculate all we want, I was re-quoting them so people could realize we can't pinpoint the exact dates they were each talking about. What if they were even off of the weights a tad too?

Wasn't trying to call you out...Was pretty much just using your post as a spring board into the topic I guess...

All I know is that He gained a lot of muscle mass over what appears to be a relatively short time span to gain that much weight...That doesn't automatically incriminate him, but it is kinda suspicious...

nunusguy
04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Mild surprise...pretty balanced and wait and see versus the defensiveness that I expected

I also thought McClain would immediately go into the "circle the wagons" mode on this issue involving his good buddys ( Bruce Matthews) nephew, so I to am a bit surprised by his response.

LORK 88
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM

He's actually had these rumors around him since he was in high school. people use the pictures in the above link & make up their mind from their eyeball test. But as i've checked around, those pictures are used out of context a bit. the 1 of him standing in the shorts is him coming off of an injury to his shoulder/knee in his Sohmore yr. i believe it was; i.e. no working out for a bit. The other of him in "hulk" phase is present day.
The picture on the left is months after major shoulder injury where he couldn't work out the entire time. The one on the left is over a year after he was back from surgery. I'm not going to say he has or hasn't taken steroids, just don't think the picture is good justification.

LORK 88
04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
This may sound like an odd question, but are there any banned substances by the NFL that aren't addressed by the NCAA? What if a "drug" were legally available but was banned by the NFL... these prospects aren't officially in the NFL yet and are normal citizens. Technically are they no longer associated with the NCAA?

Not trying to make excuses at all but just thinking outside the box.
That would be quite the circumstance and is definitely open for interpretation. The more I think about it, the more I can't come up with a logical solution other than I'm glad the NCAA and NFL hadn't had this problem yet. There would be too many issues with it being ethical, being responsible for the consequences if caught, and the difference between rules would cause a definite riff between the two.

Polo
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM

There were three pictures at that link...

I had never seen those pictures, but they are pretty incriminating...Injury or no injury most peoples bodies don't change that drastically over that time span unless it's chmeically altered...

Really I'd just like to know the results of the tests...You are correct though that pictures don't tell the whole story

Mr teX
04-03-2009, 04:52 PM

I had never seen those pictures, but they are pretty incriminating...Injury or no injury most peoples bodies don't change that drastically over that time span unless it's chmeically altered...

Really I'd just like to know the results of the tests...You are correct though that pictures don't tell the whole story

It's very possible as he was only a freshman in 2005 when the pic on the left was taken compared to the present day picture on the right.

Polo
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
It's very possible as he was only a freshman in 2005 when the pic on the left was taken compared to the present day picture on the right.

That is possible.

I was talking about his high school photo though...

Mr teX
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
That is possible.

I was talking about his high school photo though...

It's difficult to ascertain. He's flexing & somewhat exposed in the high school photo to whereas the other he's not & he's covered. Who knows, we'll find out soon enough.

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Look at the whole quote from his father:

"He was 160 pounds as a junior in high school," "His senior year, he just got taller and bigger. But you're recruited your junior year. I was thinking he wasn't going to be able to play football, and I was fine with that."

That means he was around 160 pounds during his junior season of football, otherwise his father would not have spoke about when he was recruited (in his junior year) or the fact that he got bigger and taller his senior year. He said he was thinking that he "wasn't going to be able to play football" because of size. That means he was around 160 pounds when he was recruited. I don't see why else his father would say "I was thinking he wasn't going to be able to play football" immediately after talking about recruiting. If he had gained significant weight over the course of that football season, his father wouldn't be talking about how he was thinking that Clay wasn't going to be able to play football. Scouts would see the weight gain and his father would understand that.

Plus from a common sense standpoint, it is very difficult to add significant weight during the course of a football season. Most often, you lose weight during the season due to the amount of energy you expend.

His father is not talking about his sophomore year. He is basically stating that when he was recruited (junior year) he was much smaller than his senior year.

Clay says:

My weight going into college was around 220 pounds, but somehow it gets exaggerated to make a better sotry. I was a late-bloomer physically, and then with getting into the weight room so much during college, I got to where I am today.

Going into college to me means before you've gotten there and starting any programs. Wither it be academics or athletics. I don't think he would say "going in" if he was talking about after he had already starting working out with the S&C program at USC, especially when the question is about his weight going into college. He simply would be answering the question improperly.

So, from his junior year of HS up through the summer after HS he gained around 60 pounds, according to quotes from him and his father.

60 pounds in a year and a half or even 2 years is ALOT of weight. Especially muscle.

Seems real suspicious to me.

It may be an estimated time frame and not an exact time frame, but even when looking at it from the maximum time frame it is suspicious. 60 pounds in a maximum of two years, I don't know.

And if you think about it, it is only two years if his father was talking about the beginning of his junior year, which I doubt considering the fact that his father spoke about him being recruited in his junior year, and how he was thinking that Clay may not play football. You are recruited as you play out your junior year. They don't recruit juniors before they start playing their junior year unless they are awesome.

Seems decisive enough to come up with an estimate, and when you run the numbers, it is suspicious IMO.

It could be that Clay is exaggerating his weight coming out of HS. But I don't understand why he would. There is no reason to lie about what your weight was in the past unless you feel you have something to hide that relates to it.

Gaining 20 pounds over 5 seasons of football at USC is normal. Shoot, actually, it's really not alot of weight at all in that amount of time for a football player.

However gaining 60 pounds in 2 years or less in HS is not normal IMO.

Seems a bit odd that he gained 60 pounds under a high school S&C program, yet gained only 20 under one as elite as USC.

Number19
04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Steroids can be a legitimate prescription medicine. I've taken it several times over the years for bronchial problems developing from fall allergies. Does the NFL ban medical use of steroids?

The body change from 160 odd his junior year in high school to 220 as a freshman in college is consistent with his interview comment that he was a late bloomer. He would have turned 16 in May, 2002. A teenagers body can undergo drastic change during these years of growth. Jacoby Jones had a similar growth spurt.

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Steroids can be a legitimate prescription medicine. I've taken it several times over the years for bronchial problems developing from fall allergies. Does the NFL ban medical use of steroids?

The body change from 160 odd his junior year in high school to 220 as a freshman in college is consistent with his interview comment that he was a late bloomer. He would have turned 16 in May, 2002. A teenagers body can undergo drastic change during these years of growth. Jacoby Jones had a similar growth spurt.

That's not "late". When you compare 220 pounds to your average freshman D-1 linebacker it is not significantly lower. I would argue that it is higher than the average.

I don't see anything "late" about it. 220 pounds at 18 or 19 yeras old is not late blooming.

The Pencil Neck
04-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Most steroids used for medicinal purposes are CORTICO steroids instead of ANABOLIC steroids. Corticosteroids are very good at reducing inflammation. They don't make you bigger or stronger. They can be used to enhance athletic performance but only for endurance athletes. I doubt the NFL has these banned and even if they are, they're probably excused with a doctor's note. I had an inflamed bursa and got a corticosteroid shot into the bursa sack; I was able to compete in a drug-tested powerlifting meet a couple of months later with no threat of getting DQ'd.

Anabolic steroids also have medicinal uses but in general, if you've got something that requires anabolic steroids to get better, you're not healthy enough to be a competitive athlete. Usually anabolics are used for things like HIV or cancer where there's a lot of tissue loss and you get anabolic steroids prescribed in an attempt to retain muscle tissue. The other time you'll get anabolic steroids prescribed is when you're older and need hormone replacement therapy. Very rarely, you'll get anabolics prescribed for some arthritic joint conditions.

Lucky
04-03-2009, 07:24 PM
If he was 220 coming out of high school I would completely dismiss the "late bloomer" excuse for why he didn't see the field much until this past year. 220 is plenty of weight, especially if you redshirt and put more weight on during your redshirt season. Clay Matthews did redshirt.
Here is a 2005 USC roster (http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/032206aaa.html#alpha), listing a 19-year old RS Freshman Matthews at 225 lbs. What people seem to be missing is that as a HS junior, Matthews was 16. A year younger than most kids in his class.

Regarding the reports of steroids and marijuana test results, those tests were executed at the combine 6 weeks ago. Does it take 6 weeks to get results from these tests? No. Somebody knows the results. I find it pretty difficult to believe that NFL teams setting up their respective draft boards do not have these results in hand. Whatever those results may be.

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Here is a 2005 USC roster (http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/032206aaa.html#alpha), listing a 19-year old RS Freshman Matthews at 225 lbs. What people seem to be missing is that as a HS junior, Matthews was 16. A year younger than most kids in his class. Whatever those results may be.

Makes me think even more that he was not a late bloomer at all. Bigger than most LBs in his grade, yet he is even younger than average.

ArlingtonTexan
04-03-2009, 08:05 PM

There are different classes of steriods. What you take for allerigies is not the same medication as what the NFL bans. The one that is generally banned by sports is anabolic steriods because it directly influences testostorine (muscle grow, mass or endurance). Even within the anabolic class the particular steriod has different functions. That 's why some of the baseball players who have tested positive are not muscle bound, as the drug helps them recover quickly or not break down in August because they are tired from 6 months with only 1 off day per week.

Number19
04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Most steroids used for medicinal purposes are CORTICO steroids instead of ANABOLIC steroids. Corticosteroids are very good at reducing inflammation. They don't make you bigger or stronger. They can be used to enhance athletic performance but only for endurance athletes. I doubt the NFL has these banned and even if they are, they're probably excused with a doctor's note. I had an inflamed bursa and got a corticosteroid shot into the bursa sack; I was able to compete in a drug-tested powerlifting meet a couple of months later with no threat of getting DQ'd.

Anabolic steroids also have medicinal uses but in general, if you've got something that requires anabolic steroids to get better, you're not healthy enough to be a competitive athlete. Usually anabolics are used for things like HIV or cancer where there's a lot of tissue loss and you get anabolic steroids prescribed in an attempt to retain muscle tissue. The other time you'll get anabolic steroids prescribed is when you're older and need hormone replacement therapy. Very rarely, you'll get anabolics prescribed for some arthritic joint conditions.Good explanation. Thanks. Can a drug test differentiate between the two? Or is it a case of testing positive, then during the followup, you provide this explanation as an argument for defense?

The1ApplePie
04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Hello Jeremy Maclin

JayCee
04-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Regarding the reports of steroids and marijuana test results, those tests were executed at the combine 6 weeks ago. Does it take 6 weeks to get results from these tests? No. Somebody knows the results. I find it pretty difficult to believe that NFL teams setting up their respective draft boards do not have these results in hand. Whatever those results may be.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/nfl-issues-a-statement-on-drug-rumors/

Responding to the NFLDraftBible.com report that claims several NFL draft prospects tested positive for marijuana or steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, the NFL has issued a statment emphasizing that none of the 32 teams or the league office have been informed of the drug test results yet.

Here is the unabridged statement from the league office:

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine. The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who
tested positive at the Combine. Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time. Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they
are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

NFLDraftBible.com, a web site unaffiliated with the league, reported that USC linebackers Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing tested positive for steroids and that Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji, Illinois cornerback Vontae Davis, University of Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin and UTEP kicker Jose Martinez tested positive for marijuana.

USC coach Pete Carroll denied the report, as did the agents for Davis and Matthews in separate statements released to us today.

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
RE: TexansSeminole

I'm not trying to say Matthews/Cushing have or have not used steroids. There's definitely oddities there for some to question. What gets me is that people are talking in such certainties and that's how rumors get and have gotten spread. I'm thinking very similarly as you and Polo and that, regardless that's a lot of weight. I don't want to expand on it any further because I think we've both covered how, from those quotes, there's a range in time that can be interpreted- that's all i'm pointing out. His dad's quote gets exhaggerated into Clay being the same weight through his senior season and then all of a sudden it sounds like he gained 60 lbs in a matter of months.

In anycase, the weight gain does seem odd. But i've known plenty of people who have grown through growth spurts and gained considerable weight/height.

Jackie Chiles
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
The more I read about these tests the more suspicious the allegations look. Hopefully the smoke lifts in the next week or two and we get a more accurate idea of what if anything is going on.

Ole Miss Texan
04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Don't know if the post is in this thread or a different one, but it'd be interesting if the Texans got wind of this and that's why they weren't even at the pro day. Still seems odd because there's plenty of other talent we could look at there too.

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Good explanation. Thanks. Can a drug test differentiate between the two? Or is it a case of testing positive, then during the followup, you provide this explanation as an argument for defense?

Corticosteroids and Anabolic steroids have very, very different effects and require different tests. An anabolic steroid test basically compares the ratio of Testosterone to Epitestosterone. If that is out of balance, then you've tested positive for anabolic steroids. The test doesn't show which anabolic steroids have been taken. And it is possible for that ratio to get out of balance naturally, it's just very, very rare. And some steroids that aren't very effective (like prohormones) will knock that ratio out of whack for a long time.

They do not look at actual testosterone levels.... which I've always found a bit odd. Patrick Arnold's trick with The Cream and The Clear that he created for BALCO was to create a mix of compounds that preserved the test/epitest ratio where it was supposed to be and jacked up the overall testosterone levels. That made it possible to jack up your test level and not trip the test as a positive.

At least, that's what I recall from the last time I had anything to do with steroid testing. I haven't talked to anyone about testing since my last meet about 4 years ago. Testing processes and methods may have changed. Last I checked, there were no tests for hGH which you take along with the anabolic steroids to strengthen connective tissue and reduce the chance of injury. Cloak, if he's reading, would probably be able to give a more up-to-date and scientifically accurate description.

Corticosteroids do not have an effect on the test/epitest ratio. The test for corticosteroids is different. Corticosteroids will usually be used for performance enhancement by guys like distance bikers and runners. Those guys use techniques and drugs that are much more advanced and esoteric than strength athletes like shot-putters, sprinters, powerlifters, football players, etc.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Communication from Matthew's agent to PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/agent-demands-retraction-following-drug-test-report/)

Here’s the entire e-mail that was sent to NFLDraftBible.com and forwarded to us:

“To the publishers of NFL Draft Bible, I am following up on my earlier correspondence to you today regarding your false and defamatory report that Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine. As I mentioned, neither Clay nor this office has been notified by the NFL or Dr. John Lombardo, the Independent Administrator of its Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances, that Clay tested positive for steroids or any other banned substance. Moreover, Clay has since spoken with Dr. Lombardo who likewise confirmed that Clay did not test positive for steroids at the Combine. Last, and certainly not least, the NFL has not disclosed the names of any Draft-eligible players who may have tested positive under the policy for a banned substance to any NFL club. Indeed, the NFL issued the following statement on the matter:

“Neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine. The independent medical advisors who administer the tests have notified in writing those players and only those players who tested positive at the Combine. Unfortunately, rumors about draft eligible players, including rumors about test results, begin to circulate every year at this time. Many of these rumors are circulated for self-serving reasons and they are terribly unfair to the players and their families.”

“Given these facts, I hereby demand that you immediately remove the story regarding the false results of Clay’s steroid test from your website and that you post a retraction clearing Clay of this grossly irresponsible and unfair accusation.

“Sincerely, Mark Humenik Vice President & General Counsel”

InterestedJeff
04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I know nothing has been confirmed yet but assuming that the article that came out saying that Mathews and Cushings have failed drug tests for steroids where does that leave the Texans on draft day?

I am almost always wrong when I think I know what the Texans are going to do with their first round pick. This year I had my heart set on Mathews but I would of been alright with Cushings. With both of them being roiders I dont think we should spend a 1st on either. I do believe however that we still need an OLB. Will there be one available at 15 that's worth picking up there? Probably not. I think we should try our best to package a deal and trade up to #3 and get Aaron Curry out of Wake Forest. Will our first and third do it? Maybe so. That is usually what it takes to move up the draft board. If we get Curry in the first then we could go DE or Saftey in the second and then RB with one of our 4th round picks.

I know this is just a dream senario but we need an OLB and Curry is the best of the bunch. Tell me what you all think....

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Catering to the crowds.

Southern Cal linebacker Clay Matthews Jr. excites many Browns fans. His father played more seasons with the Browns than anyone except Lou Groza. The elder Matthews started at linebacker for the only three Browns teams to reach AFC title games.

“It would be very special to end up there,” (http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x1579113848/Clay-Matthews-Jr-would-enjoy-opportunity-if-Browns-give-him-a-shot)Matthews said in an nfl.com chat this week. “Obviously, Cleveland has a special place in my heart. I got to meet with Coach (Eric) Mangini, and I’ll be making a visit to Cleveland as well.”

Matthews sees himself as a natural pass-rushing linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Kamerion Wimbley hasn’t fit that mold, which makes Matthews appealing.

Ole Miss Texan
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I think we should try our best to package a deal and trade up to #3 and get Aaron Curry out of Wake Forest. Will our first and third do it? Maybe so. That is usually what it takes to move up the draft board. If we get Curry in the first then we could go DE or Saftey in the second and then RB with one of our 4th round picks.

I know this is just a dream senario but we need an OLB and Curry is the best of the bunch. Tell me what you all think....

If he would be the last piece of the puzzle, I would consider it. But not with where the Texans are right now. To move up to #3 to take him we'd have to give up our 2009 and 2010 1st round picks and probably our '09 3rd rounder. That's not something I want to do. On top of that, his contract would most likely be 6-year $50+ million. Not something I'd want either.

If we're looking for a 4-3 OLB at #15, Cushing and Matthews are probably it. We'll see how these rumors progress.

The1ApplePie
04-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Expected it from Cush but not from Clay

Sad day for Trojans fans:mcnugget:

Maddict5
04-04-2009, 02:05 PM
the rumours are false if any of you havent heard

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 02:25 PM

I, too hope that these allegations are false. However, the teams are the first to be informed of the results, then the players. The official release to the teams have yet to be reported. Even though the Matthews agent has put out these statements, they may mean nothing until the official word is out. Every year, there are "expected" names that are confirmed, and every year there seems to be that "surprise" name...........that even surprise the agent.

Texan4Ever
04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
If I remember correctly, when Warren Sapp was turning pro there were allegations that he used drugs/steroids (dunno which), it hurt his draft stock but turned into a future HoF player and I don't think he ever failed a drug test in the NFL.

Maybe this is some ploy to lower the stock of these two players by some team so they can grab him later (Maybe New England is up to its old tricks again???)

:sarcasm:

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the teams are not informed of drug test results until the week before the draft. IF this information is true, then the teams aren't supposed to know about it, yet. Only the league is supposed to know about it at this point.

Hottoddie
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I hope it isn't true as well, but these are two guys who grew alot in a very few years.

This is one more reason why I like the players that have done it for several years & not just suddenly had a great year.

I guess Laurinaitis is now going to be the 2nd LB taken.:tomato:

ObsiWan
04-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Too bad the outfit that posted this "news" won't be sued out of existence. I consider it rather gutless to print/post allegations that could cost these guys money and not bear any responsibility whatever if the allegations are totally bogus.

Its not that I feel sorry for the players. They'll get drafted by somebody probably for more money than I'll ever see.

But there used to be something called journalistic integrity. Now its just let's be the first to post the rumor on our website so we'll get the most hits.
Okay, rant over.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Too bad the outfit that posted this "news" won't be sued out of existence. I consider it rather gutless to print/post allegations that could cost these guys money and not bear any responsibility whatever if the allegations are totally bogus.

Its not that I feel sorry for the players. They'll get drafted by somebody probably for more money than I'll ever see.

But there used to be something called journalistic integrity. Now its just let's be the first to post the rumor on our website so we'll get the most hits.
Okay, rant over.

An oxymoron today..........haven't you listened to the news lately?:aggressive:

Maddict5
04-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I, too hope that these allegations are false. However, the teams are the first to be informed of the results, then the players. The official release to the teams have yet to be reported. Even though the Matthews agent has put out these statements, they may mean nothing until the official word is out. Every year, there are "expected" names that are confirmed, and every year there seems to be that "surprise" name...........that even surprise the agent.

its the other way round according to NFLN

eriadoc
04-04-2009, 10:45 PM
So I'm not sure if it crossed anyone else's mind, but after reading that statement from Matthews' lawyer, the first thing I thought was it's very different to say what he said vs. saying that Matthews never took steroids.

Number19
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Doesn't mean anything - this is a "legal" statement. Our society is so messed up when it comes to our legal system, one has to be extremely careful the way public statements are worded. This statement was simply addressing the previously released and unauthorized statement of "facts" and issuing a legal warning. It is never prudent to make statements which are unnecessary. This is a "smart" statement of simple fact.

threetoedpete
04-05-2009, 12:07 PM

I had never seen those pictures, but they are pretty incriminating...Injury or no injury most peoples bodies don't change that drastically over that time span unless it's chemically altered...

I don't know about that one....I can specifically recall a very Skinny offensive tackle from Baytown Lee, Dennis Greenawald(SP) class of '75.....who started out as a 210 pound prospect at U of H. And ended up......265 pound cotton bowl partciapant.....I also know of the same type of guy who went to A& M from the same class and never did nothing. What I know beyond doubt is Greenawald never used anything.

The whole point of the "govern yourself accordingly" letter.....the teams, the league office, and this guy's sources do not know.....the only guy who knows is some doctor running the tests. The players should have been notified after the combine.....And according to the letter, they were not, have not been notified yet. And the doctor will not release the results to the teams for another ten days or so....at least that is what they said in Path to the Draft the other night.

Absence of malice.....there is really nothing they can do. Sit on it and hope to control how deep the wound goes. Find it kinda ironic from this story that it currently parallels what is going on in congress with the new reporters shield law being proposed. Now just exactly what do reporters need to be shielded from again, Nancy ?

eriadoc
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
It is never prudent to make statements which are unnecessary.

I disagree. A public statement declaring that he did not and never has taken steroids would be a very prudent statement that would generate a lot of good will - unless it was untrue.

threetoedpete
04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Or Flying to Bristol Connecticut and doing a test on air live. Short of a public drug test...if you love the guy you still love the guy. If you believe he's a one year wonder...with no upside ...you still believe that too. I also believe if Goodell finds out who leaked this....if there was a leak at all...they will be burned alive at the stake.

HOU-TEX
04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure this has been posted or not.

Dr. John Lombardo, who administers the NFL's drug policy, reportedly told Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews Jr. that they have "nothing to worry about" regarding a report that they failed steroids tests at the Combine.

Lombardo added that the league already would've sent Cushing and Matthews letters about the alleged failed tests if the reports were true. The NFL sent letters to some players who tested positive three weeks ago, and Cushing and Matthews were not on the list. It appears NFL Draft Bible's report about the USC linebackers was false, which also calls into question their report that Percy Harvin and Vontae Davis tested positive for marijuana.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=142077

TimeKiller
04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Hmm well I'm glad Matthews is clean. He's a real nice fit I think and that certainly put a damper on it.

Mr teX
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Reminds me of when Dan Marino came out, the unfounded allegations of cocaine abuse explaining his "down" season in his last year at Pitt.