PDA

View Full Version : Tyjuan Hagler to visit on Friday: Buster Davis signs

ArlingtonTexan
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6354649.html

The Texans are interested in two other former Indianapolis linebackers Buster Davis, who started three games in the middle last season and was waived this week, and Tyjuan Hagler, who played outside for four seasons and is scheduled to visit Reliant Stadium on Friday.

Kaiser Toro
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I loved Buster Davis at FSU and would love to see him compete for a roster spot.

bckey
04-02-2009, 10:06 AM
The best part of the whole article was Faggins signing a 2 year deal with the Titans.:doot:

Malloy
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Faggins gone!?! Who are we to blame now?

What if he kicks ass in Tennessee ? :)

HOU-TEX
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
We must be gathering intel on the Colts. :jogger:

Polo
04-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I like Hagler, Buster Davis not so much.

I liked his game at FSU, but I never thought he'd be much in the pros because once a lineman touches him it's over. If he's not shooting gaps he's not doing anything.

BY1401
04-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Lol!

I'm thinking y'all are going the Titans route with our former players.

michaelm
04-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Lol!

Have we signed any yet?

BY1401
04-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Have we signed any yet?
Details, details.

BigBull17
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Lol!

Better than signing former Lions...

TEXANRED
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Better than signing former Lions...

Was that a shot at the Texans?

BigBull17
04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Was that a shot at the Texans?

Yes. We signed 2 former Lions after they went 0-16. The Colts at least have good players.

BY1401
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
The Colts at least have good players.

To be honest, when I heard we let Buster Davis go, my first thought was: "Who?"

Then someone told me that he filled in for Brackett when he got injured. I had to take her at her word, because I couldn't remember squat about Davis or even Brackett getting hurt.

Then I realized I had a bigger problem.

Turns out I can't remember a dang thing about last year's D save for one stupendous play. It was such a huge hit, I think it knocked everything else out of mah brain:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/530/fosterdx6.jpg

El Tejano
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
If he's not shooting gaps he's not doing anything.

Is it possible that this sentence gives a clue on what kind of defense we should expect from Frank Bush's defense?

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
To be honest, when I heard we let Buster Davis go, my first thought was: "Who?"

Then someone told me that he filled in for Brackett when he got injured. I had to take her at her word, because I couldn't remember squat about Davis or even Brackett getting hurt.

Then I realized I had a bigger problem.

Turns out I can't remember a dang thing about last year's D save for one stupendous play. It was such a huge hit, I think it knocked everything else out of mah brain:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/530/fosterdx6.jpg

Yeah, but those are guys who played on a 4 loss team. The Lions didnt win a game, and had no real bright spot save CJ. Orlovsky doesnt bother me, since Kubes is a QB guy, but Cody is very eh.

Hardcore Texan
04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes. We signed 2 former Lions after they went 0-16. The Colts at least have good players.

So a bad team like last year's Lions can't have any good players on the whole roster? Or at least some quality depth if nothing else.

I am going to have to disagree with that logic.

beerlover
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Buster reminds me somewhat of Diles very similar, both look like undersized MLB's who move outside, fill gaps but lack length in coverage. good back-up material.

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
So a bad team like last year's Lions can't have any good players on the whole roster? Or at least some quality depth if nothing else.

I am going to have to disagree with that logic.

They do have a few good players, just not the ones they let walk. I dont mind the Cody signing, but he hass done less than TJ. Orlovsky is the only QB in history to record a point in the safties forced catigory. And I don't mind him either. I just feel more comfortable going after guys who contributed to good teams, not 0-16 teams. Is that so bad?

Hardcore Texan
04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
They do have a few good players, just not the ones they let walk. I dont mind the Cody signing, but he hass done less than TJ. Orlovsky is the only QB in history to record a point in the safties forced catigory. And I don't mind him either. I just feel more comfortable going after guys who contributed to good teams, not 0-16 teams. Is that so bad?

No, that's not bad, I just didn't think it was fair to paint the whole team with a broad brush, Calvin Johnson is still a pretty good even though he is a Lion.
I do understand your point more clearly now and see where you are coming from. Personally, I have no clue about Cody, but if he can't win a job in camp, he should be cut. Maybe he shows us something, he will have to win a spot just like everything else.

The safety dance thing was something he will have a hard time living down, kind of like the Rosencopter incident. It was a huge mental error on his part, but mistakes happen especially to young QB's. The real question to me is does he have a lot of upside? He did make progress through the season and Kubes must have seen something to work with or else he would not have let Sage walk. There's definitely some risk involved with the move, one of those things I guess, if it works out it will look like a genius move if not people will be calling for his head.

dalemurphy
04-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Just silly and myopic

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
No, that's not bad, I just didn't think it was fair to paint the whole team with a broad brush, Calvin Johnson is still a pretty good even though he is a Lion.
I do understand your point more clearly now and see where you are coming from. Personally, I have no clue about Cody, but if he can't win a job in camp, he should be cut. Maybe he shows us something, he will have to win a spot just like everything else.

The safety dance thing was something he will have a hard time living down, kind of like the Rosencopter incident. It was a huge mental error on his part, but mistakes happen especially to young QB's. The real question to me is does he have a lot of upside? He did make progress through the season and Kubes must have seen something to work with or else he would not have let Sage walk. There's definitely some risk involved with the move, one of those things I guess, if it works out it will look like a genius move if not people will be calling for his head.

As I said in a post, CJ is a beast. The rookie RB is good as well, and a few others. BUt, they lost every game for a reason.

ArlingtonTexan
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-23/Texans-sign-former-Indy-LB-Davis.html

The Houston Texans have signed free-agent linebacker Buster Davis, who was recently released by Indianapolis, to a one-year deal worth $445,000.

Davis played in six games for the Colts last season, starting three at middle linebacker late in the year when Gary Brackett was injured. He made 26 tackles.

The Colts claimed Davis off waivers from Detroit before the 2008 season started. He was originally a third-round pick out of Florida State by the Arizona Cardinals in 2007. Davis didn't stick and spent most of 2007 on Detroit's practice squad before appearing in one game in which he recovered an attempted onside kick.

It's unclear if the Texans see him mostly as a backup to DeMeco Ryans in the middle or as a player who could possibly contribute outside.

Grams
04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
(KFFL) Paul Kuharsky, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans have signed unrestricted free-agent LB Buster Davis (Colts) to a one-year deal worth $445,000.
(Web Site Link)

04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
davis was a stud at florida state, but i don't think he's gonna make the team...

Polo
04-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I thought Arizona took the guy way too high. I really don't think he has a place in the leauge though I'm willing to reserve final judgement on him until I see him play a little more since I haven't really watched him since college.

I doubt he makes the team though. He had a lot of flaws in his game coming out of college and unless he has worked those things out he's gonna have a hard time sticking on any NFL team.

TEXANS84
04-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Drafted by the Cardinals where Frank Bush worked.
Now we're starting to veer from Denver South to Arizona East.

ArlingtonTexan
04-03-2009, 07:14 PM

Think Bush was already a Texans assistant when Davis was drafted, but there is a connection with both the Cardinals and Lions if you care about those type of things.

steelbtexan
04-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Yep

That's what I hate about texans not being well connnected in the coaching ranks. It seems as though they only know the Broncos & the Cardinals. The Packers were the team of choice when Sherman was here.

Face it we are never going to spend big money on high tier FA's.

I'm thinking that if KUBES has a playoffs or your fired mandate he might be willing to make a bold move & trade next years no.1 with this years no.2 to move back up into the first rd & get a CB or LB they want.

Tailgate
04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Yep

That's what I hate about texans not being well connnected in the coaching ranks. It seems as though they only know the Broncos & the Cardinals. The Packers were the team of choice when Sherman was here.

Face it we are never going to spend big money on high tier FA's.

I'm thinking that if KUBES has a playoffs or your fired mandate he might be willing to make a bold move & trade next years no.1 with this years no.2 to move back up into the first rd & get a CB or LB they want.

Under the current regime...

In regards to the draft (some involving players) we have traded with Baltimore, Bills, 49ers, Broncos, Falcons, GB, and the Saints.

In free agency we have signed over 25 players coming from teams not the Broncos, Cards, or GB. And like 6 or so the other way.

Just was curious.

PapaL
04-03-2009, 08:31 PM
All I take from this article is Faggins lined up against AJ, KW or DA. Win, Win, Win!

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I thought Arizona took the guy way too high. I really don't think he has a place in the leauge though I'm willing to reserve final judgement on him until I see him play a little more since I haven't really watched him since college.

I doubt he makes the team though. He had a lot of flaws in his game coming out of college and unless he has worked those things out he's gonna have a hard time sticking on any NFL team.

Polo,
Everything I've read about him in the NFL experience is consistent with his college profile....................He's got an aggressive motor that never stops. An unquestionable asset to the STs. He finds a way to get around blockers to reach the ball carrier with decent consistency, hits hard and wraps it up securely. But he is small and has a hard time shedding blocks once engaged. Although he is credited with a year with the Lions and one with Colts, his Detroit experience was solely on the practice squad despite the fact that he was an unbelievable fan favorite. Despite this, he never saw the field. In Indianapolis, it was obvious that he was a mismatch for the Cover 2. In Bush's new scheme, it just happen that he could flourish while adding Kube value on the STs.

Mac#5
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Its hard to do much when your backing up a guy like shaun Rodgers until last year

TexansSeminole
04-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Buster Davis from a FSU fan standpoint:

Good student of the game. Worked very hard and was well liked by his teammates. A bit of a joker, he always seemed to have people laughing around him. He is one of those guys that the fans and players really love.

However, pretty much everything Polo has said about his game is true. He struggles when the play goes right at him. He is not very good at shedding blocks. He is a bit short.

He is instictive however, and made alot of BIG plays at FSU, wither it was a sack or an interception.

I think what you get out of him is a guy who works really hard, who has a good time, and improves the morale of the team. As Polo said, I would imagine he will have a hard time making the roster, but it isn't out of the question. He has a good work ethic and attitude and I would never rule out anyone with those traits.

At FSU he played MLB, and really had some great LBers around him in college. Guys like Ernie Sims, Lawrence Timmons, and AJ Nicholson. Nicholson was a good player that looked to have a future in the NFL until he decided to rob his fellow teammate Lorenzo Booker, and that pretty much killed his shot in the NFL.

Overall, he is a good guy to bring in to compete IMO. He isn't overly athletic, but he will work hard and know his shiz if he has to come in for someone due to injury.

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Just came across a detailed draft profile on Davis (http://www.kffl.com/article.php/67438/160).

edo783
04-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Well he is short, but...he is slow. Hit hard tho. Not a confidence builder in this one, but will wait and see.

mexican_texan
04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Buster Davis from a FSU fan standpoint:

Good student of the game. Worked very hard and was well liked by his teammates. A bit of a joker, he always seemed to have people laughing around him. He is one of those guys that the fans and players really love.

However, pretty much everything Polo has said about his game is true. He struggles when the play goes right at him. He is not very good at shedding blocks. He is a bit short.

He is instictive however, and made alot of BIG plays at FSU, wither it was a sack or an interception.

I think what you get out of him is a guy who works really hard, who has a good time, and improves the morale of the team. As Polo said, I would imagine he will have a hard time making the roster, but it isn't out of the question. He has a good work ethic and attitude and I would never rule out anyone with those traits.

At FSU he played MLB, and really had some great LBers around him in college. Guys like Ernie Sims, Lawrence Timmons, and AJ Nicholson. Nicholson was a good player that looked to have a future in the NFL until he decided to rob his fellow teammate Lorenzo Booker, and that pretty much killed his shot in the NFL.

Overall, he is a good guy to bring in to compete IMO. He isn't overly athletic, but he will work hard and know his shiz if he has to come in for someone due to injury.
You seem to be talking about a player that wouldn't be cut before the season his rookie year.

Norg
04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
So is adibi going to get a OLB spot ????? have we lost faith in him i thought he did good last year pre injury but he should be healthy by season start

i dont think we are picking Mathew in the draft

TexansSeminole
04-04-2009, 02:31 AM
You seem to be talking about a player that wouldn't be cut before the season his rookie year.

Well I just said he will have a hard time making the roster on an overall weak linebacking crew, so it seems to fit don't you think?

His problem thus far in the NFL is that he simply isn't athletic enough to play in the schemes he has played in. It may be his downfall here as well as we seem to be looking for the quicker, more athletic LBs.

I think it's a good signing to add another element to this linebacker battle in training camp. Adibi needs to step up and become a starter, Diles is coming off of an injury, and we need some guys on the bench to step up as well. Adding competition at the LB spot seems like a good idea to me, even if you miss with this signing.

So is adibi going to get a OLB spot ????? have we lost faith in him i thought he did good last year pre injury but he should be healthy by season start

i dont think we are picking Mathew in the draft

I don't think we've lost faith in him. Our linebacking core is weak as a whole, so looking to add a guy who could be a starter for us is smart IMO. Like they are doing with Cato June or like we would be doing if we drafted an OLB. You've also got to remember that Diles is coming off of an injury, and Adibi was sick/injured for much of the season last year. History would tell you that there is a good chance you will need someone to step in next year.

mexican_texan
04-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I did not know NFL players could make $400K until I saw that number. For some reason, I thought the minimum was at least $600K.

Big Poundcake
04-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I think Buster Davis will be in a good spot and be given a shot to succeed in Houston. I'm pleased with the pick up.

prostock101
04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Davis is only 5'9" ?????? Seems kinda short for a MLB. My bet he's gone by the time they break camp. I'm liking our LB corps a little more with June in the mix. And I was impressed with Bentley when he got some playing time last year and Adibi also.

So, if Matthews or Cushing is available at 15 do we still pull the trigger or do we take Jenkins if he's there?

barrett
04-06-2009, 02:23 AM
The last few days I'm wondering if we might be going with a safety. Nothing new related that suggests it but the secondary is the only part of the defense we haven't addressed. I think CB may have decent depth with Bennett and Molden but I don't see the same kind of confidence in the safeties. We hear alot of talk from McClain specifically that the coaches are excited about Domanic Barber but when I look at our depth after Wilson and Ferguson I don't get the same level of comfort.

In the games I've watched it's become clear to me that Harrison is not anything to write home about. I haven't watched the last three games yet so I'm hoping I see something from Barber in his increased playing time.

Hoss
04-06-2009, 02:28 AM
The last few days I'm wondering if we might be going with a safety. Nothing new related that suggests it but the secondary is the only part of the defense we haven't addressed. I think CB may have decent depth with Bennett and Molden but I don't see the same kind of confidence in the safeties. We hear alot of talk from McClain specifically that the coaches are excited about Domanic Barber but when I look at our depth after Wilson and Ferguson I don't get the same level of comfort.

In the games I've watched it's become clear to me that Harrison is not anything to write home about. I haven't watched the last three games yet so I'm hoping I see something from Barber in his increased playing time.

Mr. Patrick Chung...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_37qMvwSMwo

Polo
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM

Polo,
Everything I've read about him in the NFL experience is consistent with his college profile....................He's got an aggressive motor that never stops. An unquestionable asset to the STs. He finds a way to get around blockers to reach the ball carrier with decent consistency, hits hard and wraps it up securely. But he is small and has a hard time shedding blocks once engaged. Although he is credited with a year with the Lions and one with Colts, his Detroit experience was solely on the practice squad despite the fact that he was an unbelievable fan favorite. Despite this, he never saw the field. In Indianapolis, it was obvious that he was a mismatch for the Cover 2. In Bush's new scheme, it just happen that he could flourish while adding Kube value on the STs.

I didn't really watch a lot of Davis until his senior year at FSU...

When I first started watching him I was like, WOW! This guys brings it...And on the college level, minimal physical attributes mixed with an outstanding motor and good instincts can take you a long way...

But the more and more I watched him the more I noticed one huge flaw in his game...Dude cannot stand up at the point of attack and once he's engaged by a lineman it's pretty much over...Mix that in with his size and I just don't see him making the team...

He does have some positives about his game, but unless he has worked on standing up at the point of attack and shedding blocks better he will struggle to make the team even as a special teams player...Right now, from what I've seen of their NFL careers, Kevis Coley has a much better shot at making the opening day 53...

I'm open to being wrong, but Buster Davis in the NFL really just doesn't do it for me.

steelbtexan
04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=CloakNNNdagger;1153838]

I didn't really watch a lot of Davis until his senior year at FSU...

When I first started watching him I was like, WOW! This guys brings it...And on the college level, minimal physical attributes mixed with an outstanding motor and good instincts can take you a long way...

But the more and more I watched him the more I noticed one huge flaw in his game...Dude cannot stand up at the point of attack and once he's engaged by a lineman it's pretty much over...Mix that in with his size and I just don't see him making the team...

He does have some positives about his game, but unless he has worked on standing up at the point of attack and shedding blocks better he will struggle to make the team even as a special teams player...Right now, from what I've seen of their NFL careers, Kevis Coley has a much better shot at making the opening day 53...

I'm open to being wrong, but Buster Davis in the NFL really just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks Polo I didn't know much about Davis.

I always thought he was a good MLB but it looks like he is a marginal NFL player at best.