PDA

View Full Version : No 2-A-Days for the Texans this year

barrett
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I just read this over at the AFC South blog. It's Kubiak speaking at the annual meeting about changing up the training camp schedule.

"We got off to a bad start last year and buried ourselves in a hole," Kubiak said. "It's important to get off to a good start. We did two years ago (2-0 in 2007). As a staff, we looked real hard at reasons we didn't get off to a good start. I'm looking at us doing things a little different in practice early in the season and then at some things at the back end of the season.

"I plan on changing training camp a little, too. We're going to go strictly to one-a-days in camp. We're going to work in the morning and walk-through in the afternoon. In the past, we changed near the back end of the season, and we may do it from the get-go this season by practicing earlier in the day."

I can't decide if this seems like a good plan or not. I think in the modern NFL players are in so much better shape that the physical side of practice is much less significant than it once was. I would think working on technique and repetitions would be more important. Maybe this will be very successful. Maybe we'll come out soft. I don't think the Texans are the most physical team in the league but I think they are fairly tough. Curious what will come of this.....

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-8-149/In-search-of-better-start--no-two-a-days-for-Texans.html

Polo
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I wonder if Kubiak is overanalyzing...

I dunno if I like it or not either, but it shouldn't be a huge detriment to our hopeful success..

Porky
03-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Look at it this way. The less the players practice, the less likely they get a freak injury and land on IR. :)

barrett
03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes but it could also be said that the less they practice the less likely they may be to react instinctively in a game situation. Sometimes practicing things repeatedly can increase muscle memory and allow for quicker responses.

I'm truly on the fence. On one hand I think Kubiak is over analyzing but then again, It could be one of those things that really works for a team that already has a very strong work ethic. It's not like the Texans will be the type to sit around. They appear to be a very focused group.

spurstexanstros
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Look at it this way. The less the players practice, the less likely they get a freak injury and land on IR. :)

oh.. no a jinx......... someone please knock on wood....especially you Matt Schaub.

HoustonFrog
03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm a believer in that you can't get the feel and speed of the hitting in games without being in it first. So I always felt like full contact drills and a little more conditioning was key. But they may just run longer morning practices to offset two full ones.

Polo
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
So I always felt like full contact drills and a little more conditioning was key.

With the way we came out and were smacked around by the Steelers I dunno about this...We appeared much too soft to start the season off....

I just dread a scenario where we come out of the gates against a team that has been doing a lot of grinding in their pads and our guys look soft and a little unconditioned...I've been there...Shouldn't be a huge problem though as the season goes on...

barrett
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
True. I fully expect them to still be going all out But just once a day instead. I would think the offense who played together all season would benefit from this alot more than the defense. Unfortunately, the D is what needs the most work. Hell, I'd be fine with the offense spending 70% of their time on red zone and clock management!

m5kwatts
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
oh.. no a jinx......... someone please knock on wood....especially you Matt Schaub.

how about Diles knock on wood? didnt he break his leg in pratice

m5kwatts
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else think that playing the Super Bowl Steelers, Division winning Titans and Peyton Manning in the first 3 of 4 games might have to do with a slow start and the whole 2 a days thing might be overblown

barrett
03-31-2009, 04:38 PM
yes.

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
We are a finesse team for the most part. We have a ZBS running game and smallish OL with a smallish RB and our defense looks to be undersized (DTs are small and LBs are average sized while Adibi is undersized) with an emphasis on speed this season. We only need to go with one a days of hitting, anymore than that you're just risking injury. Two a days last season didn't make us a more physical team.

Focus on technique and reps for the young guys (which we've got at pretty much every position), there will be plenty of hitting over the course of the NFL season.

awtysst
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I guess my thinking is that our D is supposedly going away from a reading to an aggressive style. In an aggressive style we need more walkthroughs whereas a reaction defense needs more time in pads to practice how to react.

I don't know what the effect will be. I would just like us to play the whole season like we played December: with passion and intensity.

Texan4Ever
03-31-2009, 06:03 PM
If we are soooo small as a team when it comes to size lets implement a Tampa 2 scheme or 46 Bear defense! :tearup:

I think Kubiak knows what he is doing. I rather not risk injuring a star player during 2-a-days and play it safe.

ObsiWan
03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
so what are the odds that our new defensive coordinator can successfully get the guys to learn the new scheme on one practice per day?

If we were an experienced team with lots of playoff-ready vets like the Pats, I could see this. Didn't Wade Phillips try this back-off a bit approach with the Cowboys? I don't think it worked very well.

color me skeptical

HoustonFrog
03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
With the way we came out and were smacked around by the Steelers I dunno about this...We appeared much too soft to start the season off....

I just dread a scenario where we come out of the gates against a team that has been doing a lot of grinding in their pads and our guys look soft and a little unconditioned...I've been there...Shouldn't be a huge problem though as the season goes on...

Maybe I didn't come across right...that is what I meant. They need full contact drills and full conditioning. You can't get up to game speed unless you play that way and get used to the hitting and hard nosed physical toll in practice.

gg no re
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
so what are the odds that our new defensive coordinator can successfully get the guys to learn the new scheme on one practice per day?

"OK guys pretend the ballcarrier took your mother out on a nice date but did not give her a kiss good night."

CloakNNNdagger
03-31-2009, 09:03 PM
As you can tell from this one-a-day afternoon walkthrough TRAINING FILM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwt7FL6IvM), the experience you lose, will be more than returned in full.

Lucky
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
They need full contact drills and full conditioning. You can't get up to game speed unless you play that way and get used to the hitting and hard nosed physical toll in practice.
Don't worry. The Texans get in plenty of hitting during OTAs and mini-camps.

Runner
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
This is absolutely, positively the right thing to do.

In my opinion.

The players already know how to hit. Spending more time learning the complicated offenses and defenses is a much better investment of the time. This will also avoid some unnecessary injuries and get the players out of the oppressive heat.

Smart move.

barrett
03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
It could be one of those things that really works for a team that already has a very strong work ethic. It's not like the Texans will be the type to sit around. They appear to be a very focused group.

If we were an experienced team with lots of playoff-ready vets like the Pats, I could see this. Didn't Wade Phillips try this back-off a bit approach with the Cowboys? I don't think it worked very well.

color me skeptical

see me above. clearly that would be the wrong kind of team to do this with. the texans are like, i dunno... "grown ups" not bratty children. despite being referred to as "kids".

oh "professionals" thats the word.

ObsiWan
03-31-2009, 11:19 PM
As you can tell from this one-a-day afternoon walkthrough TRAINING FILM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwt7FL6IvM), the experience you lose, will be more than returned in full.

I thought Ron Dayne and the Fridge had retired...
...didn't recognize that third guy
:D

Insideop
04-01-2009, 06:17 AM
I thought Ron Dayne and the Fridge had retired...
...didn't recognize that third guy
:D

I think that was HWSNBN quarterbacking. At least it looked him with the hair. :shades:

El Tejano
04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
He said that in the past they practiced with the two a days at the back end (more towards the beginning of regular season) and did one a days at the beginning. This time he wants to do the two a days right away and then lay off as the regular season gets closer.

To me this is going to make our team tougher. After that lay off of no football, they better be ready to go or else. Sounds like we are going to hit the ground running and whoever survives is on the team at the end of camp.