PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat with Frank Bush

barrett
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
HT.com is running a live chat wednesday with new DC Frank Bush. This is a good opportunity to get in some questions and find out some answers. What kind of questions would everyone like to see answered?

I'm extremely curious to get his take on our LB corps. All the talk in the media (who follow the texans) is about us taking a LB. Some here feel like we have very good depth at that position. Other than injury questions, I'm curious what he thinks of his depth at that position.

I'd also like to know what he will ask of the DB's and specifically what he thinks can be done to help Reeves play the ball better.

What do you think?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

spurstexanstros
03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Coach Bush-"For the love of God can anyone make a stop on third down?"

Its what I have been saying to my TV and here for years. Please Coach make it happen. I dont care how you do it...just do it.

nero THE zero
03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
I asked him a few things.

I asked him to define aggressiveness. Is it more blitzing, physicality/attitude, or both?

I also asked him to be more specific to what he wants scheme-wise. Does he place more value on physical attributes (ie. athleticism, speed, versatility) as recent personnel additions suggest, or does he value positional roles (ie. run stuffing NT, penetrating 3 tech, pass rushing RDE, etc.) Also, is it true that our DL is supposed to play upfield and, if so, what is the consequential role of our LB's.

I think I might have been a bit long-winded to get my question(s) answered though.

barrett
03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
yeah, I wrote a book too. I think I accidentally asked like 7 questions.

I was somewhat long winded when they did the chat with Texans President Rootes and still got my questions answered. Hopefully they will continue to sift through it all.

nero THE zero
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Hopefully they value a long-winded, thought out inquiry as opposed to the inevitable, "Do you think we'll be a playoff team next year?" type questions.

barrett
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I agree. Reading those live chats on Chron.com are brutal.

dalemurphy
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
yeah, I wrote a book too. I think I accidentally asked like 7 questions.

I was somewhat long winded when they did the chat with Texans President Rootes and still got my questions answered. Hopefully they will continue to sift through it all.

Barrett, do you want to have a battle of long-windedness. I've submitted mine as well. And, go figure, I sound arrogant and hostile. I submitted 7 or 8 as well and will be shocked if any of them get attention.

nero THE zero
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
The chat's supposed to start in 5 minutes and I don't see a link anywhere on HT.com.

Is this some kind of April Fools?

pbat488
04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
The chat's supposed to start in 5 minutes and I don't see a link anywhere on HT.com.

Is this some kind of April Fools?

It's on the front page under Latest News.. kinda to the right.

barrett
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
hmmm only a link to submit questions. no chatty chatty.

barrett
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
got what an awful chat system. yuk.

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Josh - San Francisco, CA, US: What attributes are you looking for in a Nose Tackle? For instance, is getting upfield more important than holding the point against a double-team.

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush: Josh, thanks for the great question. You have to have a combination. I put a premium on players that get upfield. I like big, quick and explosive nose tackles that get upfield and penetrate to create a new line of scrimmage.
This to me says we will not be addressing a DT in the draft like Ron Brace. What does this say about Frank Okam?

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
got what an awful chat system. yuk.

lol, horrible.

pbat488
04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
lol, horrible.

These days money's a little tight with the economy like it is, so they couldn't spring for the full chat-room package.... :brickwall:

TheRealJoker
04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
This to me says we will not be addressing a DT in the draft like Ron Brace. What does this say about Frank Okam?

This to me says that he would prefer what every coach in the league would prefer... Albert Haynesworth. Unfortunately only so many of those are available and we're gonna be left with an undersized NT next season whether its TJ, Cody, or a drafted NT. Hopefully Bush and Kollar embrace the strengths to minimize the weaknesses.

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
This to me says that he would prefer what every coach in the league would prefer... Albert Haynesworth. Unfortunately only so many of those are available and we're gonna be left with an undersized NT next season whether its TJ, Cody, or a drafted NT. Hopefully Bush and Kollar embrace the strengths to minimize the weaknesses.
That's true, I just don't think we address a position early if it's not a player that fits what we want going forward. The plan for these early players is a minimum of 4 years on the team and hopefully starting sometime their rookie year. I don't want to draft stop gap players, that's what FA is for.

nero THE zero
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
He's saying a whole lot without saying anything.

"We'd like a DT who's big and aggressive."
"I couldn't name one team whose defense I'd like to mirror, but we want to be good against the run and the pass and be aggressive."

Ugh.

TheRealJoker
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
He's saying a whole lot without saying anything.

"We'd like a DT who's big and aggressive."
"I couldn't name one team whose defense I'd like to mirror, but we want to be good against the run and the pass and be aggressive."

Ugh.

That there thingy is coach speak!!!

threetoedpete
04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
What'd you expect? three weeks out befor the draft....he isn't going to say squat. I'm kinda shocked Kubes unlock the cell and let him out of his cage at all.

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2009, 03:09 PM
How frustrating! I send in a question, and the very next one is a pretty identical one (asking about what the corners will be doing- man vs. zone)! So I send in another question and a similar pops up next (asking about 3rd and long situations)! Sheesh.

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Ronald L. Smiley - DEER PARK, TX, US: WHAT DO YOU SEE THAT IS THE TEAM'S BIGGEST WEAKNESS?

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush: We've got a lot of areas that we need to improve. To say one thing is weaker than another, I don't think that's productive. We have bright spots with Mario, DeMeco, Antonio, Dunta Robinson, who is one of the most aggressive cornerbacks in the NFL. So we're going to focus on our strengths, not our weaknesses. We're going to build around those guys and then go from there.

Dang, now that's a diplomatic answer.:headhurts:

nero THE zero
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
What'd you expect? three weeks out befor the draft....he isn't going to say squat. I'm kinda shocked Kubes unlock the cell and let him out of his cage at all.

Given the amorphous identity of our previous regime, I expect something.

I don't expect him to give away specific targets in the draft, but I'd like some idea to his specific philosophy.

barrett
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Frank Bush: Our main emphasis will be on playing to win, not to lose.

There you have it folks. The man is a genius.

nero THE zero
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Man, I remember getting raked over the coals after questioning Amobi's maturity last offseason.

We here at the Houston Texans are still Amobi Okoye fans. We think that he's got tremendous upside and tremendous talent. There are some maturity things that have to happen in the process. He's going into his third year and we're excited about where he's going to be as a football player. Not to make excuses for him, but he's 21 years old, I believe, and going into his third year of pro football. So he's going through a maturation curve as we speak. We like what he has a chance to do. We hired a football coach in Bill Kollar who knows how to light a fire in his players. We think that Amobi will benefit from Kollar.

76Texan
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Dang, now that's a diplomatic answer.:headhurts:Mario = D-line
Demeco = LB corp
Dunta = D-backfield

It simply means we need help everywhere! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

barrett
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
delete

Mari-OWNED!
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
He answered my question! I'm Johnny B. the one about DelJuan Robinson.

mussop
04-01-2009, 09:10 PM
We have bright spots with Mario, DeMeco, Antonio, Dunta Robinson, who is one of the most aggressive cornerbacks in the NFL

So he likes aggerssive cornerbacks huh. Then we better keep our eyes on this one.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znk5DdnVMg4&feature=related)

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY&feature=related)

Fox
04-02-2009, 01:38 AM
My favorite:

Michael - San Antonio, TX, US: Coach, I have been frustrated with the lack of success getting third down stops. I have even prayed "For the love of God can someone anyone make a stop on third down?' What will be the keys to consistantly making stops on third down(or 4th and 8)?

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush: ....We want our secondary to be more aggressive in coverage and get closer to the receivers, whether that's in man or zone. With Antonio and Mario on the defensive line, along with Amobi and the defensive tackles, we want to be more aggressive up front and pressure the quarterback.....

You mean the CB's aren't going to line up 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 5 any more? Sweet!

spurstexanstros
04-02-2009, 08:38 AM
My favorite:

Michael - San Antonio, TX, US: Coach, I have been frustrated with the lack of success getting third down stops. I have even prayed "For the love of God can someone anyone make a stop on third down?' What will be the keys to consistantly making stops on third down(or 4th and 8)?

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush: ....We want our secondary to be more aggressive in coverage and get closer to the receivers, whether that's in man or zone. With Antonio and Mario on the defensive line, along with Amobi and the defensive tackles, we want to be more aggressive up front and pressure the quarterback.....

You mean the CB's aren't going to line up 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 5 any more? Sweet!

I wonder who asked that question...hmmmmmmm I wonder....smart guy...

Maddict5
04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I wonder who asked that question...hmmmmmmm I wonder....smart guy...

john mclain?

and yes i am being sarcastic

ObsiWan
04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Ronald L. Smiley - DEER PARK, TX, US: WHAT DO YOU SEE THAT IS THE TEAM'S BIGGEST WEAKNESS?

Defensive coordinator Frank Bush: We've got a lot of areas that we need to improve. To say one thing is weaker than another, I don't think that's productive. We have bright spots with Mario, DeMeco, Antonio, Dunta Robinson, who is one of the most aggressive cornerbacks in the NFL. So we're going to focus on our strengths, not our weaknesses. We're going to build around those guys and then go from there.

Dang, now that's a diplomatic answer.:headhurts:
Coachspeak translation:
Everyone that's not Mario, DeMeco, Antonio, or Dunta could be upgraded...