PDA

View Full Version : Texans To Visit With Cato June: Signs 1-year contract

Brando
03-31-2009, 12:39 AM
HOUSTON - In an effort to shore up their linebacking corps, the Houston Texans will visit Tuesday with free agent linebacker Cato June.

A six-year veteran, June played the last two years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that he spent four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

Last season June played in 16 games for the Buccaneers, starting 14. He had 67 total tackles and one interception.

For his career June has 12 interceptions and one quarterback sack.

link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090330_texans_visit_june)

Training camp fodder or legitimate depth?

hot pickle
03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
he was awesome in indy hes still kinda young so i would be excited for him to come here... lets sign him up maybe he can turn things around

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
I just don't know about him. He did some good things in Indy but I don't know if that was just because he was in the right scheme. You would have expected him to have the same sort of success in Tampa.

So...

I'm fine if we sign him. But I won't be heartbroken if we don't. He should at least bring some competition to camp. I doubt he'll want to play ST, though... and if he doesn't play ST, he'd better win the starting gig outright.

hot pickle
03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
maybe with frank bush's attack defense... cato junes speed could be a good asset... like i said i would be excited

that said him and adibi are pretty similar just need to see who is beter

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Solid vet who would push Adibi if signed at a fair price. He went to a pro bowl with the Colts, the Bucs had all sorts of problems last season including their DC announcing his resignation midseason that demoralized every player on that side of the ball.

He's got Adibi's speed plus he's won a Superbowl. Signing him would certainly make it easier for us to go BPA in the draft... :)

RipTraxx
03-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Get...it....done!

whiskeyrbl
03-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Believe it would be a solid signing. Depth more than likely, but if Bush has the attacking D he wants 3rd and long could be a ***** for our opponents.

DiehardChris
03-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Meh. The guy weighs 230 pounds. We already have SO many undersized LBs. I guess that's all we want. How did Chaun Thompson ever hook on with us? He weighs like 255!

imatexan
03-31-2009, 01:33 AM
Cato June was awsome with the Colts, this would be a great signing.

I kind of forgot about the guy but if he is still healthy seems good to me.

Texan4Ever
03-31-2009, 01:35 AM
LOL...love to see him line up across from Peyton Manning! Manning would be like, "WTF?!?!...oh $hit here comes the blitz, to the fetal position!"

TexanSam
03-31-2009, 01:42 AM
He was really good with the Colts. What happened to him in Tampa though?

At least he would add depth with the potential for more (hopefully).

dalemurphy
03-31-2009, 03:53 AM
Meh. The guy weighs 230 pounds. We already have SO many undersized LBs. I guess that's all we want. How did Chaun Thompson ever hook on with us? He weighs like 255!

Chris, I'm not sure why you say "so many"? We have one undersized LB, right?
Other than Adibi, I think every LB on the roster is at, or above 245 lbs. i guess you could argue that Chaun Thompson is the only LB that has the ideal size for SLB but Bentley, DRyans, Diles are all average sized or better for the Will or Mike... at least that is what I've been led to believe.

barrett
03-31-2009, 05:41 AM
Isn't Diles just short? He's pretty thick I believe.

Mari-OWNED!
03-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Am I the only one who wouldn't want him? It's not a big deal if we do sign him, it's just that his whole career has been in Tampa 2. Not saying he couldn't learn the Texans' system, I'm just saying I am very skeptical.

ObsiWan
03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
now this is interesting....
would it be a bad thing to have a guy that went up against Manning in practice for four years...?
definitely worth a look and perhaps a reasonable contract...

...if he signs, do we still draft a OLB with that #15 pick??

mattieuk
03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
He'll be depth, at best I think. He really hasn't done masses at Tampa in regards to making game changing plays, his stats have been right down from his time at Indy. I guess I don't really see him as ever being a player who can help us over the hill, but I'm fine with him coming in here to provide some depth, and cover us in case of injuries.

Goatcheese
03-31-2009, 06:35 AM
At this point in his career he's quality depth for us. He'd probably be the second guy off the bench after KB.

He's probably going to want actual money though, since he's been a starter for so long.

I'd rather pass. The Texans should be looking to get bigger, not smaller.

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Fact is the only LB on our roster who has the speed to cover Dallas Clark 2x a year is Adibi. Unfortunately, he wasn't healthy for a good portion of last season and that whole issue of not being able to put on weight due to illness for half the season scares the heck out of me. Cato June would be a nice insurance policy who best case would push Adibi for the starting WLB spot and worst case would be a nickel backer who would cover the opposing TE if Adibi got hurt.

TimeKiller
03-31-2009, 08:12 AM
At this point in his career he's quality depth for us. He'd probably be the second guy off the bench after KB.

He's probably going to want actual money though, since he's been a starter for so long.

I'd rather pass. The Texans should be looking to get bigger, not smaller.

My thoughts exactly

thunderkyss
03-31-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm surprised he's only been in the league 6 years.... I'd say go for it.

Any LB with 12 career INTs should be able to start on this team.

I don't know why it's not as big a topic here, but our LBs disappear in pass defense.

dalemurphy
03-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Fact is the only LB on our roster who has the speed to cover Dallas Clark 2x a year is Adibi. Unfortunately, he wasn't healthy for a good portion of last season and that whole issue of not being able to put on weight due to illness for half the season scares the heck out of me. Cato June would be a nice insurance policy who best case would push Adibi for the starting WLB spot and worst case would be a nickel backer who would cover the opposing TE if Adibi got hurt.

I didn't mind the over/under coverage on Dallas Clark when Diles picked Manning off in week #4. Though I'm not in the "we need a LB" camp, I think Diles and Adibi ideally are competition with each other for Will. Other than Chaun Thompson, we don't have a true SAM. Cato June, I believe, is another Weakside LB.

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
I didn't mind the over/under coverage on Dallas Clark when Diles picked Manning off in week #4. Though I'm not in the "we need a LB" camp, I think Diles and Adibi ideally are competition with each other for Will. Other than Chaun Thompson, we don't have a true SAM. Cato June, I believe, is another Weakside LB.

As the old saying goes, "a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile."

Thorn
03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
...if he signs, do we still draft a OLB with that #15 pick??

Naw, we'll be drafting a QB in R1 now. :stirpot:

:jk:

CloakNNNdagger
03-31-2009, 08:47 AM
I remember watching him at Michigan...........he was a SAFETY throughout his college career, and a darned good one. He's essentially a safety playing LB. For an NFL LB, he is somewhat undersized..........for an NFL safety, he is right on. I can only wonder if this might be a consideration in the Texans' "pursuit."

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Would like the signing. There should be competition for almost every spot on our D, with a few exceptions.

ArlingtonTexan
03-31-2009, 09:01 AM
June struggled more in Tampa because we has moved to the strong side instead of playing on the weak side. Even with the down years at Tampa, June would be the most accomplished OLB on our roster. I would pencil (not ink) him in a the starter on the weak side, although he should be expected to compete for that or his roster spot.

Not sure how this influences the draft. the LBs that are first round guys all seem to be bigger, strong side possibilities, so you would not be duplicating a type of player. If nothing else, it lessens the chance that the Texans force an OLB like "the General" has been indicating for a couple of months now.

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 09:20 AM
All I know is that Antonio Smith is better than Anthony Weaver and Cato June is better than Morlon Greenwood.

Texans34Life
03-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow, if we fill our defensive needs before the draft, what position do we go for in the 1st and 2nd round? Do we still go after an OLB? Maybe S? Or RB?

Polo
03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Diles is decent in pass coverage. I dunno if guys are attributing it to luck, but Diles had the two most impressive INT's by a linebacker in the pre-season and regular season. In the pre-season that INT he caught in the endzone was sick, and that INT he caught while covering Dallas Clark was pretty good too.

The way I see it is that the Texans are going to bring in as much competition as possible. Whoever wins those spots wins those spots. Lots of positions on the defensive side of the ball will be up for grabs and I doubt anyone besides Mario and probably Demeco are set in stone at their position.

False Start
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I would'nt mind signing this guy one bit. He showed exceptional talent while with the Colts, but in Tampon Bay he was playing out of position. So bring him in and see what he can do in the position he had success in. It cant hurt. :cool:

J-Russ
03-31-2009, 10:16 AM
As the old saying goes, "a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile."

well that "blind" squirrel found the ball twice during the '08 season, and one more then any other LB on this team during the regular season.

BY1401
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
I loved Cato when he played for us. One of his most overlooked qualities, IMO, was how he'd get the guys fired up.

I didn't pay attention to him while he was in Tampa, but one of the biggest knocks on him here was his run stopping ability, or rather, lack thereof. He was best in pass coverage and I think he'd do better in a DB role than an LB.

Not sure how he'd fit in the Texans system, but I wouldn't mind having him back.

[/2cents]

TheRealJoker
03-31-2009, 10:35 AM
well that "blind" squirrel found the ball twice during the '08 season, and one more then any other LB on this team during the regular season.

Horray for mediocrity!!! If you want to keep watching RBs and TEs have their way with our LBs in the passing game then by all means stay the course.

The status quo hasn't given us any seasons above .500 however. Our LBs have been liabilities in coverage since this team's inception. Just because Diles gets a pretty interception or two doesn't mean our coverage problems are solved. The opposing TEs and RBs have found the ball way too much for that to be true.

dalemurphy
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
I would'nt mind signing this guy one bit. He showed exceptional talent while with the Colts, but in Tampon Bay he was playing out of position. So bring him in and see what he can do in the position he had success in. It cant hurt. :cool:

I think he would be excellent as a LB in the nickel or dime package. It wouldn't hurt to give Demeco a breather every now and then. And, I think Demeco is no more than average in pass coverage. In theory, June and Adibi should be a good combo with 5 defensive backs on 3rd and 10.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
All I know is that Antonio Smith is better than Anthony Weaver and Cato June is better than Morlon Greenwood.

I would say June is an upgrade over Adibi and Diles.

Polo
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
I loved Cato when he played for us. One of his most overlooked qualities, IMO, was how he'd get the guys fired up.

I didn't pay attention to him while he was in Tampa, but one of the biggest knocks on him here was his run stopping ability, or rather, lack thereof. He was best in pass coverage and I think he'd do better in a DB role than an LB.

Not sure how he'd fit in the Texans system, but I wouldn't mind having him back.

I'd love to have June in to compete with Adibi. Honestly I think Adibi would win that competition, but I think getting the most competition in camp makes players work harder to get their spots and just makes the team better overall.

All I know is that any WLB we play on the field should have PLENTY opprotunities to make plays. Not only because All WLB's in 4-3's should be all over the ball, but also because they will be playing behind Mario.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM

2 int's for LB's in a defense that doesnt blitz is horrible. Tells me we lack play makers in the LB corp.

Polo
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
I would say June is an upgrade over Adibi and Diles.

I wouldn't.

GP
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Horray for mediocrity!!! If you want to keep watching RBs and TEs have their way with our LBs in the passing game then by all means stay the course.

The status quo hasn't given us any seasons above .500 however. Our LBs have been liabilities in coverage since this team's inception. Just because Diles gets a pretty interception or two doesn't mean our coverage problems are solved. The opposing TEs and RBs have found the ball way too much for that to be true.

I don't know if there are any LBs who are "good" in coverage, especially when there's too much time for the QB.

A LB, by the nature of where they are on the field, and their size/strength, is a liability in passing situations (IMO). From the snap of the ball, they are reading the play--Is it a run? Is it a bootleg? A naked bootleg? It's a pass, but do I cover the TE crossing the middle or go grab the RB sprinting out into the flat? Do I stay home and shadow the QB?

LBs might just have the worst gig on defense. When it's a run, they get to turn it loose and do some damage. But when it's a pass, they have a lot of responsibility and a lot of reactions to make in a short amount of time. And once they've committed to a player or area of the field, that's it.

I'm not saying that an average LB, or a poor one for that matter, should get a break on his lack of pass coverage skills. I do think that we need LBs with more speed, more quick-twitch speed. Morlon, bless his heart, was just the little train who couldn't. The difference between "having IT," and not, is so slim in the NFL.

El Tejano
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I see it as a depth thing that would help The Texans not have to reach on need. Right now we have two LBs that didn't play the whole season. Adibi because of his illness and not being able to gain the weight, plus he was a rookie (don't know what you have yet). Then you have Diles who came off a pretty big injury.

We also saw how are defense played when Adibi was gone - we lost to Oakland. Someone said June is an upgrade over Morlon Greenwood and I believe that to be true. June is an upgrade to the depth and could possibly challenge for the start.

TexanAddict
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't see June as a starter. He is an older version of Adibi, someone Adibi could probably learn from. I think he would offer decent depth. However, if he beats Adibi out in camp then the spot should be his.

J-Russ
03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
2 int's for LB's in a defense that doesnt blitz is horrible. Tells me we lack play makers in the LB corp.

Not quite. You can place the blame on the mediocre pass rushing up front. The only guy that could pressure the QB on a constant basis was Mario. Anyone who was in coverage was routinely burnt, from our LB back to our S. That is because of the weak pressure. So, are you saying because the QB, usually for the most part of the game, had all day to make accurate and timely throws that it was due to our LBers being weak in coverage, along with the DB? This is the same unit that allowed Orsafety to throw for 265 yards and generate a 99.6 QB rating.

They aren't the greatest playmakers, but our LBs aren't exactly mediocre either. DeMeco already proved before he's a playmaker, Diles shown he is quite a playmaker last season as well.. with Adibi showing flashes. In term of coverage, Adibi is supposedly a pretty good in coverage, going by his draft scouting report. DeMeco is great in coverage, for a LB, and our best cover LB. Diles, IMO, isn't that far behind DeMeco.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't.

What have Diles and Adibi proven? One had a horrible leg injury, the other can't stay on the field. Both have VERY little experience.

Not quite. You can place the blame on the mediocre pass rushing up front. The only guy that could pressure the QB on a constant basis was Mario. Anyone who was in coverage was routinely burnt, from our LB back to our S. That is because of the weak pressure. So, are you saying because the QB, usually for the most part of the game, had all day to make accurate and timely throws that it was due to our LBers being weak in coverage, along with the DB? This is the same unit that allowed Orsafety to throw for 265 yards and generate a 99.6 QB rating.

They aren't the greatest playmakers, but our LBs aren't exactly mediocre either. DeMeco already proved before he's a playmaker, Diles shown he is quite a playmaker last season as well.. with Adibi showing flashes. In term of coverage, Adibi is supposedly a pretty good in coverage, going by his draft scouting report. DeMeco is great in coverage, for a LB, and our best cover LB. Diles, IMO, isn't that far behind DeMeco.

Our LB's are the very definition of mediocre. Outside of Ryans, upgrades are possible. Thompson and Bently are career back-ups. DIles and Adibi are unproven. The pass rush is mediocre, but its not 100% of the coverage problems.

RTP2110
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I definitely think the Texans should sign him. They could sign him and draft an OLB at 15, and I'd be okay with that.

Other than Ryans the Texans don't have a proven LB really. There is some potential there with Adibi & Diles, but neither has fully proven themselves yet.

J-Russ
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
What have Diles and Adibi proven? One had a horrible leg injury, the other can't stay on the field. Both have VERY little experience.

That's why so many of us are so impressed with those two. They've both made impact in the little times they had, with little experience. They can only get better, right?

I read somewhere before that the injury Diles suffered was the same injury that Weary recently went through. That is something to be concerned about, even though, I believe, Kubiak had said that he was doing fine now and that other players had came back from the same injury to have a long career. Something like that.

Adibi injury was hamstring in pre-season, flu during the season, and ended with I think another hamstring injury. He lost weight due to the flu and the coaching staff didn't want to rush him to the field, but he tossed into the fire because that was just how bad Morlon was doing. He should be doing better now, and should be gaining weight and strength through the off-season workout.

Texaninlild
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
So why don't I see this on Chron? Do they surf this board to get stories?

I think June can still be a quality player. I would like to see him signed for the right price.

Tailgate
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
From what the Colts fans are sayin... he is legit in the passing game yet terrible stopping the run.
http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=41547

I think it would be a good signing. Like it or not, durability are concerns for Adibi and Diles at this point. One more body with NFL experience aint gonna hurt us. He could teach our younger guys a thing or two about what he does best and having a guy on the bench that could come in and be a terror on passing downs if called upon would also be ideal.

EDIT: Slight oversight on the pass rushing ability. =)

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
That's why so many of us are so impressed with those two. They've both made impact in the little times they had, with little experience. They can only get better, right?

I read somewhere before that the injury Diles suffered was the same injury that Weary recently went through. That is something to be concerned about, even though, I believe, Kubiak had said that he was doing fine now and that other players had came back from the same injury to have a long career. Something like that.

Adibi injury was hamstring in pre-season, flu during the season, and ended with I think another hamstring injury. He lost weight due to the flu and the coaching staff didn't want to rush him to the field, but he tossed into the fire because that was just how bad Morlon was doing. He should be doing better now, and should be gaining weight and strength through the off-season workout.

They do have potential, and did play well at times last year, but I don't think there is anyway you can go into next season without a back up plan. Better to be wrong and carefull then wrong and unprepaired.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM

They do have potential, and did play well at times last year, but I don't think there is anyway you can go into next season without a back up plan. Better to be wrong and carefull then wrong and unprepaired. June has the experience and has played at a high level for consecutive years. Right now, he is an upgrade.

Polo
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM

They've proven that when they are in the game they make our defense better because they are often around the ball. Doesn't mean that they can do that over a whole season, but I'm willing to be that they could.

And I seriously doubt that Adibi comes back in the same physical condition he was in coming out of college.

You don't have to think they are outright beast, but to act like they haven't done or shown anything is not really accurate. Declaring that June would be an upgrade is debatable so please don't act like he's just obviously better than them because there are many people that don't agree.

J-Russ
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Our LB's are the very definition of mediocre. Outside of Ryans, upgrades are possible. Thompson and Bently are career back-ups. DIles and Adibi are unproven. The pass rush is mediocre, but its not 100% of the coverage problems.
I think Diles is a notch above mediocre. Morlon is bad, and Bentley is a great back-up, but a mediocre starting-LBer. Diles is clearly above Bentley and which make him pass the mediocre status.

I can't really judge his blitzing skills because, like you said, our Lbers didn't blitz much last year. Zach still got one sack. Nothing to cheer about, but since we didn't blitz a whole lot and he played like half a season, that is a bit noteworthy. He was tied with the same amount as Meco and Bentley for sacks, and led the Lbers with one interception. Both his interception was clutch, one in the redzone and one in the final seconds of the 1st half. The latter was against Peyton freakin' Manning.

About the LB in coverage. How many LB can match up with the opposing offense on a constant basis? Like GP said, LBers are naturally a liability in coverage. Mediocre in coverage would be average for a LB.

I do agree that we should look to draft a LB high in this draft. For insurance purposes, but also to compete. But if Diles and Adibi both come back healthy and stronger, I wouldn't worry about going into the season as our starting OLBs, even if we don't add anybody to the lbing corps.

EDIT: I actually meant to say we should be looking draft a LB at the very least in the mid-round this draft. If we draft one high though, I expect him to start, or at least have a significant impact to our team. If not this year, then next year.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
They've proven that when they are in the game they make our defense better because they are often around the ball. Doesn't mean that they can do that over a whole season, but I'm willing to be that they could.

And I seriously doubt that Adibi comes back in the same physical condition he was in coming out of college.

You don't have to think they are outright beast, but to act like they haven't done or shown anything is not really accurate. Declaring that June would be an upgrade is debatable so please don't act like he's just obviously better than them because there are many people that don't agree.

I swear, only in this town does a guy who plays 10 games in 2 seasons get the untochable lable. June is a former Pro Bowl and All-Pro LB. He has a freakin Super Bowl ring. I'm not delusional when I say he is an upgrade at OLB. June also puts points on the board, which no one else does.

I think Diles is a notch above mediocre. Morlon is bad, and Bentley is a great back-up, but a mediocre starting-LBer. Diles is clearly above Bentley and which make him pass the mediocre status.

I can't really judge his blitzing skills because, like you said, our Lbers didn't blitz much last year. Zach still got one sack. Nothing to cheer about, but since we didn't blitz a whole lot and he played like half a season, that is a bit noteworthy. He was tied with the same amount as Meco and Bentley for sacks, and led the Lbers with one interception. Both his interception was clutch, one in the redzone and one in the final seconds of the 1st half. The latter was against Peyton freakin' Manning.

About the LB in coverage. How many LB can match up with the opposing offense on a constant basis? Like GP said, LBers are naturally a liability in coverage. Mediocre in coverage would be average for a LB.

I do agree that we should look to draft a LB high in this draft. For insurance purposes, but also to compete. But if Diles and Adibi both come back healthy and stronger, I wouldn't worry about going into the season as our starting OLBs, even if we don't add anybody to the lbing corps.

Them both being healthy is a big if. Diles had a freak thing, so I'll not call him injury prone, but Adibi was one after another after another. I'm not comfortable with that being our only option. When Thompson or Bently start multiple games because of a hamstring, see how that feels.

TexanAddict
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
From what the Colts fans are sayin... he is legit in the passing game yet terrible stopping the run.
http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=41547

I think it would be a good signing. He does best at what we are trying to improve the most... rush the QB. And as most everyone has stated... like it or not, durability are concerns for Adibi and Diles at this point. One more body with NFL experience aint gonna hurt us. He could teach our younger guys a thing or two about what he does best and having a guy on the bench that could come in and be a terror on passing downs if called upon would also be ideal.

June provides nothing in the way of rushing the QB, his aptitude is in pass coverage. So, I'm not sure if that's what you meant by being "a terror." June has a total of 1 sack for his entire career.

thunderkyss
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
I think he would be excellent as a LB in the nickel or dime package. It wouldn't hurt to give Demeco a breather every now and then. And, I think Demeco is no more than average in pass coverage. In theory, June and Adibi should be a good combo with 5 defensive backs on 3rd and 10.

Then we give up a 60 yard run.....

BY1401
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM

Yup.

If the Texans want a linebacker good at pass coverage, they should look at Cato.

If they want a run-stopper, well...keep looking.

Polo
03-31-2009, 12:55 PM
I swear, only in this town does a guy who plays 10 games in 2 seasons get the untochable lable. June is a former Pro Bowl and All-Pro LB.

Then why are fans from the very team that he earned those honors with talking about how terrible he is in run support?

He has a freakin Super Bowl ring.

So did Roosevelt Colvin.

I'm not delusional when I say he is an upgrade at OLB. June also puts points on the board, which no one else does.

I didn't say you were delusional. Hell, I didn't even say you were wrong. All I said was that it was debatable. He's not a great blitzer, terrible at stopping the run, and really good in pass coverage..I've even heard a couple colts fans say he might make a better safety....If you feel like that's an upgrade then so be...But don't be shocked when everyone else doesn't jump on that train...

Hervoyel
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM

It was a typo. The typo read "weight: 225" and they did the deal before weighing him again. Nobody at Reliant park wants to fess up to the mistake.

badboy
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I am interested in LBs that can jam a TE and stop the run (as no evidence exists our Dline will and no one seems interested in a NT). Our Cbs can stay with WR and safeties should lock in what's left over. Our SS should also cover the middle better.

BY1401
03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Then why are fans from the very team that he earned those honors with talking about how terrible he is in run support?

Because he is. *shrug*

I've even heard a couple colts fans say he might make a better safety.

That's where I stand. Plus, that's the position he played at Michigan.

Hervoyel
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Diles is decent in pass coverage. I dunno if guys are attributing it to luck, but Diles had the two most impressive INT's by a linebacker in the pre-season and regular season. In the pre-season that INT he caught in the endzone was sick, and that INT he caught while covering Dallas Clark was pretty good too.

The way I see it is that the Texans are going to bring in as much competition as possible. Whoever wins those spots wins those spots. Lots of positions on the defensive side of the ball will be up for grabs and I doubt anyone besides Mario and probably Demeco are set in stone at their position.

Dunta is a lock if he's healthy (and he will be). They didn't franchise him to sit him.

Polo
03-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Dunta is a lock if he's healthy (and he will be). They didn't franchise him to sit him.

Yeah, Him too...forgot about him...

Mr teX
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
maybe with frank bush's attack defense... cato junes speed could be a good asset... like i said i would be excited

that said him and adibi are pretty similar just need to see who is beter

Exactly what i was thinking. He flourished in Indy b/c their pressure defense placed a premium on speed. Bush has promised to bring a similar style of defense here so he'd likely fit in perfect with us if he were to make the team.

I only see him as depth though. If Adibi can stay healthy, i think he wins out & June is likely a special teams guy..............if he even makes the team.

Polo
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Exactly what i was thinking. He flourished in Indy b/c their pressure defense placed a premium on speed. Bush has promised to bring a similar style of defense here so he'd likely fit in perfect with us.

To be fair he only has one sack in his entire career. Doesn't appear to do a whole lot in terms of playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

Mr teX
03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
To be fair he only has one sack in his entire career. Doesn't appear to do a whole lot in terms of playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

He probably didn't have to considering what Freeney & Mathis could do by themselves pressuring the Qb. His 12 ints suggest that he's pretty good in coverage &/or has good instincts. He's worth a looksee.

Dapper
03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
I remember watching him at Michigan...........he was a SAFETY throughout his college career, and a darned good one. He's essentially a safety playing LB. For an NFL LB, he is somewhat undersized..........for an NFL safety, he is right on. I can only wonder if this might be a consideration in the Texans' "pursuit."

Mmmmm.... I would love him as a safety if he can still cover. Think of the possibilities Bush would have with him on patrol. We still need an identity on defense.

Ole Miss Texan
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I would be happy if we signed him. I think he only makes this team better, especially if Adibi shows he can be our starter and June is the WLB backup.

BY1401
03-31-2009, 02:33 PM
He probably didn't have to considering what Freeney & Mathis could do by themselves pressuring the Qb. His 12 ints suggest that he's pretty good in coverage &/or has good instincts. He's worth a looksee.

Yup. While he was here, a linebacker blitz was practically unheard of. Our defensive philosophy was that every play was a passing situation. Pressure the QB with the front four and, as an afterthought, try and stop the run on the way to the QB. Make sure the back seven are fast enough to cover the receivers and swarm to the ball once the play develops.

He doesn't have the sack numbers because he was never asked to play that role.

CloakNNNdagger
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Mmmmm.... I would love him as a safety if he can still cover. Think of the possibilities Bush would have with him on patrol. We still need an identity on defense.

Furthermore, he was a FREE SAFETY.

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
I think it would be a good signing. He does best at what we are trying to improve the most... rush the QB.

That's not a true statement, is it? He's only got like 1 sack his entire career. He was good in coverage, not as a pass rusher.

V3rm0nt3r
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM

thats what i was thinking. June went up against Dallas Clark daily while he was in Indy so you would think that would know alot of his moves already and it would help the Texans with seeing him twice a year. i'd be stoked if he was brought in.

Mr teX
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
That's not a true statement, is it? He's only got like 1 sack his entire career. He was good in coverage, not as a pass rusher.

As the indy guy said above, he really wasn't asked to rush the passer, doesn't neccessarily mean he can't do though. Being that Indy had 1 of their safeties in Bob Sanders coming down hill 90% of the time, you've got to replace that guy in coverage somewhere. They probably just thought June's skill set was best utilized in coverage most times.

Polo
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
As the indy guy said above, he really wasn't asked to rush the passer, doesn't neccessarily mean he can't do though. Being that Indy had 1 of their safeties in Bob Sanders coming down hill 90% of the time, you've got to replace that guy in coverage somewhere. They probably just thought June's skill set was best utilized in coverage most times.

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that he's just not a good pass rusher. He used to be a free safety in college and excelled as a tweener type LB in Indy. He then goes to Tampa and stinks it up.

Doesn't mean I don't think he can be an asset for us.

BY1401
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
As the indy guy said...

You just gave me an idea for a new tagline.

Of course, it'll only make sense if I'm not a chick.

thunderkyss
03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Mmmmm.... I would love him as a safety if he can still cover.

This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Right now, our LBs have zero presence in pass defense. They don't rush the QB, and they can't cover.

We need LBs that understand coverage, more than we need a safety.

This is what Cato does, why would we move him to safety?

BY1401
03-31-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that he's just not a good pass rusher.

I don't know. If he's got an open lane, he's certainly quick enough to get pressure on the QB.

That is, unless he mistakes the guy for a running back.

Then he'll just bounce right off him.

Polo
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Then he'll just bounce right off him.

LOL...This is the kind of thing that worries me about him...

Mr teX
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
You just gave me an idea for a new tagline.

Of course, it'll only make sense if I'm not a chick.

lol, my fault.

BigBull17
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM

So did Roosevelt Colvin.

I didn't say you were delusional. Hell, I didn't even say you were wrong. All I said was that it was debatable. He's not a great blitzer, terrible at stopping the run, and really good in pass coverage..I've even heard a couple colts fans say he might make a better safety....If you feel like that's an upgrade then so be...But don't be shocked when everyone else doesn't jump on that train...

Colvin was in the very end of his career. As to the not a greeat blitzer, our LB's needed maps at times last year. We can't blitz almost anyone. He can cover, he is iffy against the run. Ours can't cover and are eh vs the run. I won't be pissed if we dont sign him, but I'd rather he be here.

spurstexanstros
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I hope they sign him because I would love it if the Texans had the ability to rotate D-fensive lineman like the Eagles and keep a fresh set of defenders on the field in the event a fat qb decides to run on 4th and 8 they may be able to lay a hand on him.

BY1401
03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I hope they sign him because I would love it if the Texans had the ability to rotate D-fensive lineman...

Dood.

I know we get knocked for having small players on D, but even we wouldn't use him on the line.

Porky
03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't care if he is June, July, or August. Sign him. :whip:

ObsiWan
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM

sooooo, what is the appropriate punishment for a pun that bad?
:hmmm:

spurstexanstros
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Dood.

I know we get knocked for having small players on D, but even we wouldn't use him on the line.

hmmm I thought when he was with indy he was a d-lineman...I guess I stand corrected ...but who could blame me..he spent alot of time in our backfield i thought he lived there with Freeney.

Porky
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
sooooo, what is the appropriate punishment for a pun that bad?
:hmmm:

:thinking:

I think you have to stare at this thing until you figure out what it actually is. :wwfsmd:

Ryan
03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
A little competition can never hurt. I just can't see him out performing anyone else in camp, especially if we bring a rookie LB in.

Señor Stan
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

We just May, and start our March to the playoffs.

But, June never know. If you think you do then July and are blowing more smoke than August of wind.

NitroGSXR
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM

I think you have to stare at this thing until you figure out what it actually is. :wwfsmd:
Is that SWT's splattered cockroach?

I don't really know why some are hesitating on Cato June's talents. He has one of the best credentials at this time out of all available FAs. It shan't cost us too much and even if it does... we need linebackers right now, starting or not. It does not matter. We need them both. If they upsurp our starting three then great! Whoever got upsurped will become depth. I like it. I don't believe we simply have much to lose by signing a player with Cato's credentials.

PHAROAH
03-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Cato was awesome in indy and he played on the strong side in Tampa opposite Derrick Brooks. Sign him up!!!!!

Dapper
03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Right now, our LBs have zero presence in pass defense. They don't rush the QB, and they can't cover.

We need LBs that understand coverage, more than we need a safety.

This is what Cato does, why would we move him to safety?

I don't see him as a situational lb as much as a full time head hunting safety. He has seen Sanders fly to the ball and destroy. I can only hope he has learned how to do it as well. We need somebody to spread some fear in the backfield. With Bush's attacking dl, the passes would be quicker and underneath . In comes Cato the Reaper and wack! Fear, one of the three motivators known to man-kind. We need someone to be feared. That being said, I don't know if Cato is the best candidate for the job, but I don't think the guys we have on the roster now are the answer either.

ObsiWan
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM

that's easy. Its the lovechild of Richard Justice and Bud Adams

The1ApplePie
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
A little competition can never hurt. I just can't see him out performing anyone else in camp, especially if we bring a rookie LB in.

I think if the Texans sign him you can take OLB off the board. I think the Texans are leaning offense in the first now myself.

infantrycak
03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I think if the Texans sign him you can take OLB off the board. I think the Texans are leaning offense in the first now myself.

Says the wishful thinking of someone who wants a WR in the 1st.

Hervoyel
03-31-2009, 11:52 PM
He can help and there's no real denying that. To what degree might be a topic for debate but he's better than who we sent packing this off-season and that means something. In the end though Cato isn't going to be anything more than an improved placeholder. He isn't a part of the final product. He's very good depth or a 1-2 year starter until that piece gets drafted.

ObsiWan
04-01-2009, 12:27 AM
He can help and there's no real denying that. To what degree might be a topic for debate but he's better than who we sent packing this off-season and that means something. In the end though Cato isn't going to be anything more than an improved placeholder. He isn't a part of the final product. He's very good depth or a 1-2 year starter until that piece gets drafted.

Hey, that works for me.

Any whispers/rumors/outright lies as to how the visit turned out?

TimeKiller
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Absolutely it does not. Both spots could be upgraded and June is only one man. Personally, I'd like to see what he's got at SS just like I would Adibi, since they seem to be the same type player.

Either way, signing him certainly wouldn't fix the defensive backfield which has been a nagging weakness for a while now. 7 years?

BY1401
04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
...He has seen Sanders fly to the ball and destroy. I can only hope he has learned how to do it as well...

To be fair, I never got the impression that Cato had that special kind of crazy that makes Bob, well...Bob.

thunderkyss
04-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Either way, signing him certainly wouldn't fix the defensive backfield which has been a nagging weakness for a while now. 7 years?

We've still got several problems on defense. The backfield, is only one of them.

I see people saying we'll go offense in the first round, if we sign Cato June. I don't see that happening.

I think we need a player like June, because I think our LBs are that weak. Diles & Adibi, while they show promise, I don't see them as the answer.

Pass Rush. We had none, so we signed Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, and Anthony Weaver..... problem fixed right? Not exactly. So we sign Antonio Smith, and cross our fingers.

We used to be pretty decent against the run. IMHO in large part due to Dunta playing on the edge. He forced the run inside. But he hasn't been close to being the same since his injury. Again, we can cross our fingers and hope he returns to form.

Pass Coverage. Our LBs have no presence, so our DBs have to play off, keeping the ball in front of them, playing it safe. We really don't know how good our CBs & Safeties are IMO because of this.

So far, we've got a new Defensive Coordinator, a new Defensive Line coach. We've got a new pass rushing DE, and a DT that should be able to get to the QB.

I'd still like an upgrade at SAM. I'd still like to upgrade at Will. & I'd still want to add a starter at CB. IMHO, June would start at Will. & if we can get Jenkins with 15, he'd eventually start. & between Reeves, Dunta & Bennett, we should be able to find another starter.

Offensively, I would have signed Benson for one year, and been done with it until next year. But since it doesn't look like we'll be going that way, I'll target a RB in the third, and hope lightning strikes twice, then go BPA after that.

HOU-TEX
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't see him signing here unless he's willing to back up Adibi for less money.

We need a SAM

El Tejano
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
As long as the contract is good, this can't hurt and can only help. I want to spend money on Ryans and Robinson.

BigBull17
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't see him signing here unless he's willing to back up Adibi for less money.

We need a SAM

We need a SAM, but I think June would have a good chance of winning the WILL from Adibi. He is a proven vet and a play maker at the OLB position.

infantrycak
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
We need a SAM, but I think June would have a good chance of winning the WILL from Adibi. He is a proven vet and a play maker at the OLB position.

He's a proven vet in that he has been released by two teams with the last one just one year into a three year contract. Wouldn't mind signing him on a one year deal like Eugene Wilson did last year.

HOU-TEX
04-01-2009, 12:08 PM

That's definitely a possibility. I suppose it all depends on how much Adibi has improved. Meaning, is Adibi healthy? Can he remain healthy? Has he added muscle?

Adibi has more potential than June and I have no doubt he'd win the position if yes is the answer to the questions above.

June and Bentley are really good back ups to have, but are not the answer.

BigBull17
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
He's a proven vet in that he has been released by two teams with the last one just one year into a three year contract. Wouldn't mind signing him on a one year deal like Eugene Wilson did last year.

He was allowed to walk from Indy because thats how they roll. In TB, he was out of position. Dude can play, has done it rather consistantly, and is very good in coverage. Our other OLB's, not so much.

BigBull17
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
That's definitely a possibility. I suppose it all depends on how much Adibi has improved. Meaning, is Adibi healthy? Can he remain healthy? Has he added muscle?

Adibi has more potential than June and I have no doubt he'd win the position if yes is the answer to the questions above.

June and Bentley are really good back ups to have, but are not the answer.

I agree Adiibi has more potential down the road if healthy. Big IF. I would'nt rule out June having the gig for a year.

BY1401
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
He was allowed to walk from Indy because thats how they roll.

IIRC, his contract was up and he was looking to get paid.

Plus, we never keep linebackers. We let Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, and David Thornton go. That position group is a revolving door for us for some reason.

BigBull17
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
IIRC, his contract was up and he was looking to get paid.

Plus, we never keep linebackers. We let Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, and David Thornton go. That position group is a revolving door for us for some reason.

Yeah, that's what I ment. Indy keeps a few and lets the rest walk. That's not an inditment of talent.

TEXANRED
04-01-2009, 05:20 PM
IIRC June can't tackle and was part of the problem with Indy's run D.

Hoss
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
i say get him signed!!!

The1ApplePie
04-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Says the wishful thinking of someone who wants a WR in the 1st.

No good secondary players in the first
No good pass rushers at 15

Take best value, whatever it is

HOU-TEX
04-02-2009, 10:25 AM
No good secondary players in the first
No good pass rushers at 15

Take best value, whatever it is

What if there's a badass Long Snapper at 15? :foottap:

BY1401
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
IIRC June can't tackle and was part of the problem with Indy's run D.

He was good at tackling receivers who had the ball, just not running backs who had the ball.

Oh, and for those who care: Cato just missed another tackle on MJD.

BigBull17
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
What if there's a badass Long Snapper at 15? :foottap:

Casey from Rice in the 2nd. He can Long Snap.

Dapper
04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Casey from Rice in the 2nd. He can Long Snap.

Wasn't Brandon Long the long snapper for Rice?:shades:

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Haven't seen this posted on this subject.

Free agent outside linebacker Cato June, who played the last two years with Tampa Bay, spent a day with the Texans but left without signing. They haven’t closed the door on signing him at some point if he’s still available.
June played his first four seasons with Indianapolis and earned Pro Bowl recognition and a Super Bowl ring.

The Texans are interested in two other former Indianapolis linebackers — Buster Davis, who started three games in the middle last season and was waived this week, and Tyjuan Hagler, who played outside for four seasons and is scheduled to visit Reliant Stadium on Friday.

BigBull17
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Haven't seen this posted on this subject.

When guys leave, we normally don't sign them.

TEXANRED
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
He was good at tackling receivers who had the ball, just not running backs who had the ball.

Oh, and for those who care: Cato just missed another tackle on MJD.

So Cato June is the Matt Stevens of Indy?

And for those keeping track, Ricky still wants his shoe back.

Tailgate
04-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Texans agree to terms with free-agent LB Cato June

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6358781.html

The Texans have agreed to a contract with free agent outside linebacker Cato June.

June, who came to Houston early this week to meet with the Texans, spent the last two seasons with Tampa Bay before being released in February.

June, 29, is 6-0, 227. He'll compete with Xavier Adibi for the starting job on the weak side. June had 63 tackles, including 49 unassisted, for the Buccaneers last season.

June, who grew up in Washington D.C. and played at Michigan, spent his first four seasons with Indianapolis before signing with Tampa Bay as a free agent. With the Colts, he started on their Super Bowl XLI-winning team. He also was voted to the Pro Bowl one time.

Dan B.
04-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I like Adibi and Diles' upside, but I still say this is a great signing. He can only help IMO.

Hottoddie
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the signing. This upcoming draft is shaping up to be a can't miss event. I'm starting to get the feeling we may go after a RB, OL, or CB with the 1st pick.

Texan4Ever
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
As a Michigan fan, I like the signing. If Cato June can't take the starting job then at least he can provide us with a reliable coverage ability not to mention he is a speedy OLB that can tackle well. I think we are not only going to get stronger on D but faster as well.

dalemurphy
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I thought our LB depth was already pretty good... now that they've signed June and Buster Davis, I just can't see LB as a focus in the draft- doesn't mean we won't draft a LB but I can't see reaching for one or maneuvering around in the draft in order to get one.

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I thought our LB depth was already pretty good... now that they've signed June and Buster Davis, I just can't see LB as a focus in the draft- doesn't mean we won't draft a LB but I can't see reaching for one or maneuvering around in the draft in order to get one.

With Adibi and June, I think we're set at Will. If we DO go LB in the first round, I don't see it being a Will like Matthews.

With Demeco and Bentley, we're set in the middle. Can't see us going with Rey or Laurinaitis.

The only possible LB I can see us going for early is going to be SAM and you generally don't go SAM in the first round. But, Cushing is a SAM, right? If we do go LB in the first round, I can only see it being Cushing now.

We really could be looking at just going BPA at this point. We could go offense.

djohn2oo8
04-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Malcolm Jenkins maybe??? Or Knowshon Moreno or Chris Wells?

Mailman
04-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread except to say that I hope Cato June treats the Texans better than he treated my fantasy team back in 2004. Dude cost me a championship, and I've never forgotten about it.

I don't know if any of you remember the game, but it was a Sunday night game between the Colts and Ravens. I had both Manning and the Colts D in my starting lineup and only needed four more points to win. Manning was chasing Marino's record that season and was two TDs shy of tying him at home. With the Colts leading 20-10 with about a minute left in the game, Boller dropped back to pass and Cato June jumped the route for an easy INT. He had seventy yards of open field ahead for the score that would've won me my matchup, but the dumbass ran straight down the sideline. The officials ruled that he stepped out of bounds on the four (he didn't), which gave Manning one more chance to tie Marino in front of the home crowd. He took three consecutive knees, the crowd booed, and I lost.

You owe me, Cato June!

Dan B.
04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread except to say that I hope Cato June treats the Texans better than he treated my fantasy team back in 2004. Dude cost me a championship, and I've never forgotten about it.

I don't know if any of you remember the game, but it was a Sunday night game between the Colts and Ravens. I had both Manning and the Colts D in my starting lineup and only needed four more points to win. Manning was chasing Marino's record that season and was two TDs shy of tying him at home. With the Colts leading 20-10 with about a minute left in the game, Boller dropped back to pass and Cato June jumped the route for an easy INT. He had seventy yards of open field ahead for the score that would've won me my matchup, but the dumbass ran straight down the sideline. The officials ruled that he stepped out of bounds on the four (he didn't), which gave Manning one more chance to tie Marino in front of the home crowd. He took three consecutive knees, the crowd booed, and I lost.

You owe me, Cato June!

You weren't a Brian Westbrook owner (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/12/17/105030.php) in 2007 too were you?

I can't imagine the pain that would cause.

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 03:32 PM
You weren't a Brian Westbrook owner (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/12/17/105030.php) in 2007 too were you?

I was.

And I was AT the game. It was a very weird feeling. I was very happy because it was a smart move that absolutely kept the Cowboys from winning the game. And I like it when the Cowboys lose. But on the other hand, he cost me points, dammit.

Luckily, I didn't need those points to win that week. But I didn't know how I was doing points-wise at the time.

ObsiWan
04-04-2009, 03:44 PM
With Adibi and June, I think we're set at Will. If we DO go LB in the first round, I don't see it being a Will like Matthews.

With Demeco and Bentley, we're set in the middle. Can't see us going with Rey or Laurinaitis.

The only possible LB I can see us going for early is going to be SAM and you generally don't go SAM in the first round. But, Cushing is a SAM, right? If we do go LB in the first round, I can only see it being Cushing now.

We really could be looking at just going BPA at this point. We could go offense.

I like this scenario from WalterFootball (http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php) myself....

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/texansb_logo.gif Houston Texans: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC http://walterfootball.com/college/USC_logo.gif
APRIL 2 UPDATE: In the Who Will Philly Pick? (http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9020) thread on the forums, I discussed a potential trade between the Eagles and Texans. Houston would trade selection Nos. 15 and 46 (1,490 TVC points) for pick Nos. 21 and 28 (1,460). If Houston trades down, it could still take Clay Matthews at 21 and use the 28th pick on Ron Brace, Sean Smith, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung or Alex Mack.

I don't know about the proposed selections, but I like moving down and turning one 1st rd pick into two 1st rd picks

GuerillaBlack
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM

I was kicked out of the playoffs because of him. I needed those points.

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I like this scenario from WalterFootball (http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php) myself....

I don't know about the proposed selections, but I like moving down and turning one 1st rd pick into two 1st rd picks

This signing actually makes us more likely to be able to trade down. Now, we're more of a threat to take some guys as BPA that some other teams may covet. So now, they need to either move in front of us or gives us some picks with some incentive to move down.

dalemurphy
04-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Right now our depth chart at SAM would be: Diles, CThompson... which isn't bad either.

As far as an early round possibility at SAM, Clint Sintim is another possibility. He weighs about 255 lbs and can rush the passer. He actually played OLB in a 3-4 in college but most think he can play the SAM in a 4-3. Other than he and Matthews, I don't know of anyone.... well, except of Curry (of course).

If one is to read into the draft what we've done in FA, it seems pretty darn clear that we'll be drafting RBs, DBs, and interior OL... Those are the positions of need that have been almost totally ignored in FA. Frankly, that's perfect, because it's a deep and talented draft for Centers and RBs... and I think it should be a good pool of secondary talent betwee rounds 2-4.

assuming a trade down with Phillie : 15th pick for 28 and 53, here's a ballpark mock of how I think the first 3 rounds could go:

28. Sean Smith (CB/FS)
46. Eric Wood (C/G)
53. Lawrence Sidbury (DE)
77. Shonn Greene/or Rashod Jennings (RB)

ObsiWan
04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
This signing actually makes us more likely to be able to trade down. Now, we're more of a threat to take some guys as BPA that some other teams may covet. So now, they need to either move in front of us or gives us some picks with some incentive to move down.

yeah... wonder how Smithiak will really parley this fortunate position.
Any more guesses on possible trading partners?

alphajoker
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM

You owe me, Cato June!

:thinking: Hmmm...maybe you should be upset with the officials if he didn't step out of bounds?

RipTraxx
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Even with Davis and June i still think we're gonna go for Matthews or Cushing if he falls.

Dapper
04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Malcolm Jenkins maybe??? Or Knowshon Moreno or Chris Wells?

yes! yes! and yes!

they seem like better value at 15 than a lb this year

they should try to move back for sure and get more picks in the meat of this draft which i believe is rounds 3-5

BattleRedToro
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM

What makes you think that Matthews isn't capable of playing SAM?

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
What makes you think that Matthews isn't capable of playing SAM?

Well, just because he's been more of a smaller rush specialist. To the best of my knowledge, he's being projected as a Will second and as a 3-4 outside rush lb first. Cushing is the one that's being projected as a Sam (even though he started as the rush specialist in the Elephant position that Matthews played this year.)

From what I've heard, Matthews really hasn't played Will or Sam. He's basically played edge rusher and he really has been expected to be more suited as a 3-4 OLB who concentrates on rushing. But he did show fluid hips at his Pro Day. He played Safety in High School and he may have more coverage skills than he's been allowed to show.

But I haven't heard of him as being a SAM.

Lucky
04-04-2009, 04:46 PM

The Trojans play a defense that is similar to what Tampa Bay and Indianapolis have played in the NFL. One difference is that the the defensive ends for the Trojans flip sides depending upon the strength of the formation. And the weak side DE, which was Clay Matthews in '08, often plays standing up rather than in a 3 point stance. The Will LB for USC last year was actually Kaluka Maiava, a mid round prospect who is the nephew of "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson.

While Cushing did play the Sam position for USC, he dropped back in coverage much more often than Matthews. And in nickel situations, Cushing stayed on the field and played the short middle zone. So, Cushing has played the Sam position in a prostyle defense. But, he has shown enough coverage ability that he could project as a 3-4 ILB, as well.

Matthews has essentially played as a 3-4 weakside OLB, or Elephant, or Jack, or whatever term you want to use for that spot. Matthews has probably shown enough athleticism to play either the Sam or Will spot in a 4-3 like the Texans have played in the past. Probably. He just doesn't have the experience. For the most part, Matthews was an upfield player and not asked to do much more than play the flats in coverage.

I don't know what the Texans defense will look like in 2009. For the past 3 seasons, the Will linebacker has been asked to drop into coverage, rather than get upfield. An Adibi, Cato Jones, or a draft prospect such as Maiava would make sense for the Will spot in that defense. If Frank Bush is looking for more of an upfield player, then Matthews could be that guy. But his lack of experience (not athleticism), could make Matthews a liability in coverage.

Regarding the Sam position for the Texans, I thought Zac Diles was playing out of position last season. Really, he's a MLB who is too good to be on the bench. He's not great at being able to turn and run with the TE, and he doesn't get leverage at the point of attack due to his size. But, Diles has a real nose for the football and is one of the Texans bigger hitters. Cushing would be a prototype Sam. He has the size, strength, and coverage ability. Matthews could eventually play the position, but his athleticism might be wasted there. Plus there's the learning curve.

My feeling is that the Texans could definitely use help at the Sam, and maybe at the Will depending upon what Bush wants out of the position. But, I don't see a dire need of spending a 1st round pick there. Unless it is a special player that brings an element to the Texans defense they don't have. An Aaron Curry, sure. He has the dynamic ability plus the experience. I just don't think the dropoff from a Cushing or Matthews to a 2nd round or later Sam linebacker would be that large. I don't see the need to force a linebacker at this spot.

76Texan
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
The Trojans play a defense that is similar to what Tampa Bay and Indianapolis have played in the NFL. One difference is that the the defensive ends for the Trojans flip sides depending upon the strength of the formation. And the weak side DE, which was Clay Matthews in '08, often plays standing up rather than in a 3 point stance. The Will LB for USC last year was actually Kaluka Maiava, a mid round prospect who is the nephew of "The Rock", Dwayne Johnson.

While Cushing did play the Sam position for USC, he dropped back in coverage much more often than Matthews. And in nickel situations, Cushing stayed on the field and played the short middle zone. So, Cushing has played the Sam position in a prostyle defense. But, he has shown enough coverage ability that he could project as a 3-4 ILB, as well.

Matthews has essentially played as a 3-4 weakside OLB, or Elephant, or Jack, or whatever term you want to use for that spot. Matthews has probably shown enough athleticism to play either the Sam or Will spot in a 4-3 like the Texans have played in the past. Probably. He just doesn't have the experience. For the most part, Matthews was an upfield player and not asked to do much more than play the flats in coverage.

I don't know what the Texans defense will look like in 2009. For the past 3 seasons, the Will linebacker has been asked to drop into coverage, rather than get upfield. An Adibi, Cato Jones, or a draft prospect such as Maiava would make sense for the Will spot in that defense. If Frank Bush is looking for more of an upfield player, then Matthews could be that guy. But his lack of experience (not athleticism), could make Matthews a liability in coverage.

Regarding the Sam position for the Texans, I thought Zac Diles was playing out of position last season. Really, he's a MLB who is too good to be on the bench. He's not great at being able to turn and run with the TE, and he doesn't get leverage at the point of attack due to his size. But, Diles has a real nose for the football and is one of the Texans bigger hitters. Cushing would be a prototype Sam. He has the size, strength, and coverage ability. Matthews could eventually play the position, but his athleticism might be wasted there. Plus there's the learning curve.

My feeling is that the Texans could definitely use help at the Sam, and maybe at the Will depending upon what Bush wants out of the position. But, I don't see a dire need of spending a 1st round pick there. Unless it is a special player that brings an element to the Texans defense they don't have. An Aaron Curry, sure. He has the dynamic ability plus the experience. I just don't think the dropoff from a Cushing or Matthews to a 2nd round or later Sam linebacker would be that large. I don't see the need to force a linebacker at this spot.
Very nice!

Hoss
04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Man this is awsome!!!Always liked Cato June...

stingray
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM

You owe me, Cato June!

The Owen Daniels fumble against Green Bay last year cost me a championship in a money league. I lost the title and the money, about $800.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Nice analysis, Lucky.

I have this feeling that since Bush keeps being very vague about the description of the "new defense," describing in general terms only as "attacking and aggressive," he really doesn't have a solid in stone plan. If this is true, we will see our "need"s evolve, and we will see players project to play one position, tested at another less familiar, but more appropriate (for the system) position. I may be totally wrong on this, but I think we are in for some surprises in scheme and player and player position choices, quite possibly in the draft, in TC, in preseason, and into the regular season.

prostock101
04-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm curious. Would we have signed Buster if we knew we we're going to sign June? Seems like overkill at the LB position.

Ryans
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Thompson
Buster
June

Is drafting an LB now not a priority? Somebody got to go.....

TexansSeminole
04-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm curious. Would we have signed Buster if we knew we we're going to sign June? Seems like overkill at the LB position.

Ryans
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Thompson
Buster
June

I don't think Buster was brought in to compete for a starting position. I think he is just depth that perhaps will end up on the practice squad.

awtysst
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Ryans
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Thompson
Buster
June

What this signing tells the league(and us) is the Texans will take BPA in the draft(outside of QB, punter, kicker, or WR). This also will make them much more amenable to a trade down deeper into the first round. It gives them more flexibility (which is obviously a good thing).

I think that Philly or the Jets will want to trade up now (for a OL or QB respectively) and we will receive additional picks to fire into the draft

JayCee
04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iQKDVwDcE4&feature=related

The Pencil Neck
04-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Ryans
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Thompson
Buster
June

And remember Kevis Coley has looked good last preseason. He's still on the roster, I think.

Insideop
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
The Owen Daniels fumble against Green Bay last year cost me a championship in a money league. I lost the title and the money, about $800.

You too huh! I lost in the 1st round of the playoffs by 1 point because of that play and got no $. If I would have moved on to the next round (championship) I would have won about $1000. Maybe we all need to get together and track OD down! :bat: LOL!

stingray
04-04-2009, 09:37 PM
You too huh! I lost in the 1st round of the playoffs by 1 point because of that play and got no $. If I would have moved on to the next round (championship) I would have won about $1000. Maybe we all need to get together and track OD down! :bat: LOL!

Yep we should LOL!!!...I lost in the semis by four points but I would have won the following week in the finals, so essentially it cost me the title and the money. But I still had a chance even after that day because I was up by alot going into MNF. But the other guy had Antonio Bryant. That is when he went off and had like 200 yrds and two td's including that miracle catch at the end of the game against the Panthers. I swore I wouldn't play fantasy football ever again. But of course I'm gonna play again this year.

phantom17
04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Nice signing!!! Now I'm thinking we are going to draft a DB, Malcom Jenkins! Or trade down for an extra 2nd or 3rd. I must have seen tons of mocks & I really like the players available in the later rounds! I would be happy to get a Beanie or Shonn Green or the other big backs in the 2nd or 3rd round! :thisbig:

PHAROAH
04-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I think with signing Cato June he is coming in to compete for a starting role and he brings speed & coverage ability that we desparately need in the LB corp. Buster Davis will probably be a back up at MLB but we have to remember this guy was drafted in the 3rd round and does have the ability. I think that Buster Davis needs to drop some weight to become more effective in coverage. The texans are making good moves that indicate that they are getting ready to drop back to pick up picks or they have identified a player on the offense that they are intrigued with!!!!

GP
04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
This gets us to the Super Bowl.

Cato June = Last piece of the puzzle.

I can feeeeeel it.....:brando:

mussop
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Ryans
Diles
Adibi
Bentley
Thompson
Buster
June

If we truly are going to a pressure defense that send the front rour shooting through gaps a lot then we are going to need a solid group of LB's. Not just starters either. Our LB's are going to take alot of punnishment and hopefully give some out to. I think we still are going to draft at least one more and maybe two more.

threetoedpete
04-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Agreed. Blitzing up the Field is fine and dandy up until you reach a team who is adept at trapping.....then.... you better have some linebackers who can scrape run and tackle ....prety fast. the problem we've had for a while here now...is when they send five or six....no one. I mean no one, has demonstrated the ability to get there....ever. I'm all for anything that fixes that.

threetoedpete
04-05-2009, 02:43 PM
This gets us to the Super Bowl.

Cato June = Last piece of the puzzle.

I can feeeeeel it.....:brando:

Look they've done this for three years in a row now....loaded up the roster with cheap free agents and let them fight it out for a roster spot. I don't believe any of these contracts cripples them if things don't work out. gives them flexibility in the draft.....with little down side if things don't work out. If we get sixteen quality starts out of Adibi and June with the signing then it was a good free agent pick up.

I'm assuming here...you forgot the ....
:sarcasm:

Vinny
04-05-2009, 02:45 PM
looks like we will be playing lots of tampa2 defense

CloakNNNdagger
04-05-2009, 02:55 PM

I hope not. You need a genuine run stuffing NT. The LBs must be ruthless tacklers and the safeties must have very good cover skills and hit hard over the middle. This doesn't sound like our team as it stands now. If the Tampa 2 is the plan, I see our fate looking looking not that different from last season.

TexansSeminole
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM

At this point I am just ready to see any definitive scheme that makes sense. We really need to do something about our SS position if we are going to run the tampa 2. Barber, or Ferguson playing deep half of the field for the majority of games is a big weakness IMO. Hope to see an upgrade at safety in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

Vinny
04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I hope not. You need a genuine run stuffing NT. The LBs must be ruthless tacklers and the safeties must have very good cover skills and hit hard over the middle. This doesn't sound like our team as it stands now. If the Tampa 2 is the plan, I see our fate looking looking not that different from last season.smallish linebackers with lots of speed, physical corners that are good tacklers that play facing the QB in lots of zone techniques (Ray Rhodes specialty), and penetrating DT's are all hallmarks of the cover3 defense aka the tampa2.

TEXANRED
04-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of this signing. June can't tackle. Sure, he gives the team more speed on the outside but what good is speed if you can't bring down the ball carrier.

The Colts D instantly got better after he left the team.

ChampionTexan
04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of this signing. June can't tackle. Sure, he gives the team more speed on the outside but what good is speed if you can't bring down the ball carrier.

I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance June's best (and primary) use will be 3rd down/passing situations. My scenario would be June at WLB, Antonio Smith sliding to DT to team with Okoye on the inside, and another pass rushing DE to fill Smith's normal spot (might be Bulman, might be McClover, might be someone we haven't drafted/signed yet). We may not be great, but I would think we'd be better than the last couple of years.

Don't know if that's Kubiak and Bush's plan, but I kind of like it.

alphajoker
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Wasn't he on the Colts D when they won the Super Bowl? I'm not sure I understand how they got better once he left.

DBCooper
04-05-2009, 04:25 PM
What's not to like?

A one year deal that is not a big salary cap hit that beefs up a LB corps lacking in experience.

valleytexfan
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice signing!!! Now I'm thinking we are going to draft a DB, Malcom Jenkins! Or trade down for an extra 2nd or 3rd. I must have seen tons of mocks & I really like the players available in the later rounds! I would be happy to get a Beanie or Shonn Green or the other big backs in the 2nd or 3rd round! :thisbig:

Jenkins would be great....I too like this signing...can't hurt.

Goldensilence
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Wasn't he on the Colts D when they won the Super Bowl? I'm not sure I understand how they got better once he left.

They got better once they had a decently healthy Bob Sanders.

TEXANRED
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
What's not to like?

A one year deal that is not a big salary cap hit that beefs up a LB corps lacking in experience.

I wouldnt exactly say beef up. Heck, he might not even make the team. He is an arm tackler. The Matt Stevens of the LB world.

edo783
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
We may not be great, but I would think we'd be better than the last couple of years.

Setting the bar pretty high there don't ya think? LOL

imatexan
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I wouldnt exactly say beef up. Heck, he might not even make the team. He is an arm tackler. The Matt Stevens of the LB world.

Not make the team?

I know you are no talking about Cato June.

TEXANRED
04-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Not make the team?

I know you are no talking about Cato June.

Actually I am.

Its just Cato June. He is not setting the world on fire. The Bucs cut him, and there D sucks too.

He signed here for a one year deal probably cus that was the best offer out there.

Maybe there is something I am not seeing other than the fact we Finally signed a name we all recognize.

Polo
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, its entirely possible June doesn't make the team...Especially if we take an OLB early...

But even if we don't, I'm not sold on June being on the opening day 53

GP
04-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Look they've done this for three years in a row now....loaded up the roster with cheap free agents and let them fight it out for a roster spot. I don't believe any of these contracts cripples them if things don't work out. gives them flexibility in the draft.....with little down side if things don't work out. If we get sixteen quality starts out of Adibi and June with the signing then it was a good free agent pick up.

I'm assuming here...you forgot the ....
:sarcasm:

:wasonlykidding:

DBCooper
04-05-2009, 10:43 PM

You realize Morlon Greenwood started 10 games for us last year.

TEXANRED
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
You realize Morlon Greenwood started 10 games for us last year.

So your saying that June is an upgrade over Greenwood? Thats not saying much. I am an upgrade over Greenwood.

DBCooper
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
So your saying that June is an upgrade over Greenwood? Thats not saying much. I am an upgrade over Greenwood.

Upgrade is an upgrade.

Go to the tryouts.

thunderkyss
04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Did we look at Leroy Hill?

dudes got 13 sacks & 11 PDs in 4 years.

Lucky
04-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Did we look at Leroy Hill?

Seattle designated Hill as their franchise player.

HOU-TEX
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I reckon there will be a very healthy competition at LB this camp. We are most likely going to draft an LB early, so that'll leave us with:

D-Ryans
Adibi
Bentley
Diles
Thompson
Davis
June
Draft Pick

Enter a possibly of Coley in to the mix and you'll have 9 LB's (likely more camp bodies) competing for roster spots. IIRC, we carry 5 LB's on the active roster.

Polo
04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Good signing...I really hope this pushes Adibi because I think he can do some great things for our defense...

Ole Miss Texan
04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I reckon there will be a very healthy competition at LB this camp. We are most likely going to draft an LB early, so that'll leave us with:

D-Ryans
Adibi
Bentley
Diles
Thompson
Davis
June
Draft Pick

Enter a possibly of Coley in to the mix and you'll have 9 LB's (likely more camp bodies) competing for roster spots. IIRC, we carry 5 LB's on the active roster.

That's great! I love seeing this kind of solid competition and depth. If we do draft a LB early I have a feeling he'll be competing with Diles. In that case I think we'd carry 6 lbs: Adibi, June, Demeco, Bentley, Diles, Rookie.

Does Buster Davis still have practice squad eligibility? If so I'd like to see him there and still a part of the team.

HOU-TEX
04-06-2009, 11:22 AM
That's great! I love seeing this kind of solid competition and depth. If we do draft a LB early I have a feeling he'll be competing with Diles. In that case I think we'd carry 6 lbs: Adibi, June, Demeco, Bentley, Diles, Rookie.

Does Buster Davis still have practice squad eligibility? If so I'd like to see him there and still a part of the team.

Yes, I believe he is eligible for the PS. The question is, is he worth keeping ahead of Coley? By going by size alone, I'd say no.

barrett
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Coley looked good in the little time he saw on the field.

Ole Miss Texan
04-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, I believe he is eligible for the PS. The question is, is he worth keeping ahead of Coley? By going by size alone, I'd say no.

Coley looked good in the little time he saw on the field.

Those are good points. Isn't Coley more of a naturaly OLB? If so he may get the edge as Bentley and Diles, I think, could be good at MLB if Demeco needs rest. I know we don't want to move our guys around too much, but I still see Diles as a better MLB than SLB.

ArlingtonTexan
04-06-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/diner-morning-news-whats-next-for-quinn/

In the next two weeks, there will be some moves that seem to indicate that teams will cross a need off their list going into the draft, but this is all perception, not reality. We’re in the middle of the misinformation period of the NFL Draft and no moves can be taken at face value. Teams are trying to make sure no one can figure out what their real intentions will be on draft day

Figure this may have some relivance here.

Polo
04-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I certainly hope the Texans aren't signing folks merely as a cover-up. I think they are just trying to not have any major needs so they can take whoever they feel is the best available...I guess that doubles as a smokescreen though...

WolverineFan
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Signing Cato June is good for depth. At this point in his career I doubt he will be able to come in and take the starting job from Adibi, but now we have a viable option as a backup.

The Pencil Neck
04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I look at Cato June as Shawn Barber V2.

We signed Barber as a LB that's good in coverage who could possibly take the will. Unfortunately, Barber got injured in the preseason and was never a factor.

Hopefully, we have better luck with June but I have to admit that I'm hoping that Adibi turns into a great Will linebacker and stays healthy.

drewmar74
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I look at Cato June as Shawn Barber V2.

We signed Barber as a LB that's good in coverage who could possibly take the will. Unfortunately, Barber got injured in the preseason and was never a factor.

Hopefully, we have better luck with June but I have to admit that I'm hoping that Adibi turns into a great Will linebacker and stays healthy.

Myself. He was a lot of fun to watch last year and showed a lot of promise. And if he really added 20 lbs of muscle and kept his quickness.... wow, he could be awesome.

ArlingtonTexan
04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I certainly hope the Texans aren't signing folks merely as a cover-up. I think they are just trying to not have any major needs so they can take whoever they feel is the best available...I guess that doubles as a smokescreen though...

I think Lombardi is really saying that signing low cost veterans does not automatically mean that the Texans (or any team) don't still think they need to upgrade the position. Probably does signal, as you point out, a team does not want to force a player/position in the draft. (Remember the now even sillier notion that the Texans would not draft Mario williams because they had just signed anthony weaver)

In terms, of smokescreen, i will buy the notion that teams behind the Texans would be less likely to jump in front of the Texans if they don't think the Texans have to have a certain player/position. Overall, though while there is gamesmanship in the NFL, for the most part I think teams are more worried making the right choices than all smokescreens and misspeaks, people like to talk about on message boards and blogs.

jshabang
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5210

on ht.com....johnny holland states that he wants this guy to start at the sam!!!!!.......unbelieveable

we all have agreed that he was out of position in tampa last year which was one reason he had production drop off.......

everyone here felt he could come in as our will to push adibi and go to his natural position where he was comfortable to be a playmaker......which is the position he played for the colts and was a pro bowler......

what exactly are these sneaky texans up to???:foottap:

Ole Miss Texan
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5210

on ht.com....johnny holland states that he wants this guy to start at the sam!!!!!.......unbelieveable
we all have agreed that he was out of position in tampa last year which was one reason he had production drop off.......

everyone here felt he could come in as our will to push adibi and go to his natural position where he was comfortable to be a playmaker......which is the position he played for the colts and was a pro bowler......

what exactly are these sneaky texans up to???:foottap:

Holland says they'll probably start him out there. Not that he's the starting SAM. They like that he's played Will and Sam. He also says that he sees June as a valuable nickel player.

dalemurphy
04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Holland says they'll probably start him out there. Not that he's the starting SAM. They like that he's played Will and Sam. He also says that he sees June as a valuable nickel player.

I'm guessing you're right. He probably is saying he'll line him up on the TE side on passing downs.

jshabang
04-07-2009, 01:01 AM

regardless....rather he starts or not there....my main point is the consensus here was we were thinkin they brought him in to push at the will to push adibi.....so it still kind of puzzles me even to start him out there....when it is known thats not his strongest position

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2009, 01:12 AM
regardless....rather he starts or not there....my main point is the consensus here was we were thinkin they brought him in to push at the will to push adibi.....so it still kind of puzzles me even to start him out there....when it is known thats not his strongest position

Well, I just assumed he was a Will. That's what I remember him being for some reason. I'm surprised he was playing Sam for the Buccs. It sounds like they're going to try him at both positions and see where he fits best. He could end up pushing both Diles and Adibi. :)

Specnatz
04-07-2009, 03:01 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/diner-morning-news-whats-next-for-quinn/

Figure this may have some relivance here.

Sorry I am not with it but .. who was the pass rushing specialist that we signed last year thinking to shore up a need for a season ... well he was cut and it only cost just a little ofver a million.

That is the type of deals that are done this time a year.

ObsiWan
04-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Sorry I am not with it but .. who was the pass rushing specialist that we signed last year thinking to shore up a need for a season ... well he was cut and it only cost just a little ofver a million.

Roosevelt Colvin formally of the Pats. He didn't have as much left as we hoped.

I'm thinking two scenarios
Worse case:
This is insurance if either Adibi or Diles - both of whom were injured last year and missed significant time - don't return to their pre-injury performance levels.
Best Case:
Both Adibi and Diles are back to their pre-injury levels - maybe beyond because they're pushed by June. So June fills in when they need a blow and we don't have the kind of performance drop off we had when Greenwood was that fill-in guy.

thunderkyss
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM

I agree, that June's contract is similar to Colvin's, in that it won't hurt us bad, if he doesn't make the team.

I remember him in Indy, and I remember him making the pro-bowl, and I remember him being one of the most sought after LBs that season.

He's got skills.

Biggest difference I see between June & Colvin, is that June only has 6 years in the league. He's still young. If he can be that guy he was in Indy, he can make a positive impact on this team for years to come.

Adibi may very well be that same guy, who knows. I'd just rather have two "maybe" guys on the team, instead of one.

I personally think we need to get better at both the SAM, and WILL. Whether that means Adibi/Diles has to get better, or they get replaced, doesn't matter to me. If June is part of that plan for WILL, then we only need to look at a SAM in the draft, and I'm fine with that.

jshabang
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree, that June's contract is similar to Colvin's, in that it won't hurt us bad, if he doesn't make the team.

I remember him in Indy, and I remember him making the pro-bowl, and I remember him being one of the most sought after LBs that season.

He's got skills.

Biggest difference I see between June & Colvin, is that June only has 6 years in the league. He's still young. If he can be that guy he was in Indy, he can make a positive impact on this team for years to come.

Adibi may very well be that same guy, who knows. I'd just rather have two "maybe" guys on the team, instead of one.

I personally think we need to get better at both the SAM, and WILL. Whether that means Adibi/Diles has to get better, or they get replaced, doesn't matter to me. If June is part of that plan for WILL, then we only need to look at a SAM in the draft, and I'm fine with that.

thats the whole point...from the sounds of texans staff its sam they want to try him out at first and foremost......so who knows.......that would nil alot of the cushings mathews talk.......so its really confusing around here trying to gauge where the texans mind is as far as draft or any thing else goes....

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
thats the whole point...from the sounds of texans staff its sam they want to try him out at first and foremost......so who knows.......that would nil alot of the cushings mathews talk.......so its really confusing around here trying to gauge where the texans mind is as far as draft or any thing else goes....

Well, that was one of my old points. Like TKyss, I was assuming Cato was being brought in for the Will position. If that were the case, then that would indicate to me that IF we were targetting an LB at 15, then it was probably Cushing who's considered to be a Sam.

But if Cato is being looked at as a Sam... then that looks more like Matthews is being targetted (IF we're planning on going LB there.)

Goldensilence
04-07-2009, 11:57 AM

He's got skills.

I'd also add another difference between Colvin and June is that June has a solid position to play as opposed to "well do we go with Colvin as a LB or DE?".

Nice depth and will probably make a strong case to start. Either way IMO the Lb corps unquestionably got better with him signing. I don't think it's intended to be a draft smokescreen. The staff saw a chance to bring in former pro bowler that has been in the playoffs, has a ring and still has gas in the tank. The staff saw a chance to get better and they were smart in signing him.

Ole Miss Texan
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Here's an interesting thought. If the staff really thinks June has the versatility to play either OLB spot in on this team, then I'm not sure if it limits us during the draft. Afterall this could be a smokescreen if we're really interested in the linebackers... maybe its small smoke :)

It could, in fact, open the draft up to either LB, we'll use Cushing and Matthews as an example. Matthews may be a guy who could play either spot, Cushing may be that way too but general fan concensus is he's more of a Sam. We may be starting to look for more versatility, quickness and athleticism in our LBs. Guys that we can move around a bit, instead of the "position x does this" kind of concept.

We could be doing a similar thing w/ the LBs as they want with the CBs. Show a fairly similar look most plays but not let the offense know we're running a man or zone or whatnot. If we've got versatile LBs, we can do the same thing.

jshabang
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Is it me or do the texans always seem to have a driven theme.......

I remember us needing free safety....and we just kept signing strong safeties.......to play free safety

We need more of a Sam style big bruiser type sure tacklin LB depth and we sign a WILL(cato) and middle(buster)......with the will lb to try and play at sam......???

I love the june signing personally.I think its a great veteran signing...just not crazy about a 227 lb backer mannning our strongside.......IMHO

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Is it me or do the texans always seem to have a driven theme.......

I remember us needing free safety....and we just kept signing strong safeties.......to play free safety

We need more of a Sam style big bruiser type sure tacklin LB depth and we sign a WILL(cato) and middle(buster)......with the will lb to try and play at sam......???

I love the june signing personally.I think its a great veteran signing...just not crazy about a 227 lb backer mannning our strongside.......IMHO

In the past, Smith's concept of defense was to have the safeties be interchangeable. He wanted them to play halves of the field and he didn't want a true free safety or a true strong safety. He wanted two tweeners on the field. That's why it looked like we were signing nothing but strong safeties.

We don't know if Bush is going to change that approach or not. Hopefully, we'll end up with a real strong safety and a real free safety by the time the season starts.

nero THE zero
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
In the past, Smith's concept of defense was to have the safeties be interchangeable. He wanted them to play halves of the field and he didn't want a true free safety or a true strong safety. He wanted two tweeners on the field. That's why it looked like we were signing nothing but strong safeties.

We don't know if Bush is going to change that approach or not. Hopefully, we'll end up with a real strong safety and a real free safety by the time the season starts.

People keep repeating this like it's statement of fact. You're ignoring the signing (and subsequent re-signing) of Eugene Wilson.

We might have had a history of signing SS/safety tweeners, but that history went out the window when we signed a prototypical FS in Eugene Wilson. Now we have our true FS. And we also have two true SS in Barber and Ferguson, though I wouldn't be surprised to see us add one through the draft as well.

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2009, 03:45 PM
People keep repeating this like it's statement of fact. You're ignoring the signing (and subsequent re-signing) of Eugene Wilson.

There was a past before that, though, right? Like, a couple of years?

I really see last year as a transitional year. I think that we saw some of Bush at work last year. That's why we got all those reports that the defensive coaching staff was "democratic" last year.

I think that the FS and SS signings from last year was because of Rick Smith and Bush but I don't know for sure.

I also think that our CB's coming up and playing more aggresively later in the year was because of Bush. I think that the Raider game was Smith's swan song; his last chance to use his "scheme."

BattleRedToro
04-08-2009, 01:09 AM
I also think Ray Rhodes had some input in the DB signings as well.

dalemurphy
04-08-2009, 01:19 AM

Considering Domique Barber ran a 4.7 40 yard dash, I'd say it's pretty darn certain that he'll be playing more in the box. If I'm wrong then we may have found the only D.C. in the NFL that is denser than Richard Smith.