PDA

View Full Version : The Texans Could Learn

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2009, 09:26 PM
from studying their family tree........the Denver Broncos. We're called Denver South for a good reason........we've adopted their philosophies and adopted their players. The ZBS, the one cut and run RB, the RB that can be had in lower draft positions, the easily replaceable RB........and list goes on and on. With declining offensive "aura," and the Broncos taken over by different management, pretty soon we may be the last one standing, carrying on a proud tradition.

I came across THIS PIECE (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3/20/804683/denver-s-unique-running-ba) that chronicles the history of our base philosophy.......it's evolution.........it's flaws..............it's eventual bastardization...........and apparent fall...........in Denver. It would be well to heed the lessons of yesterday to avoid the pitfalls preventing us from becoming and maintaining long-term a team to be reckoned with.

[Be sure, after you read this piece, that you click on the 2 links within the article, written by nycbroncosfan]

Lucky
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
[Be sure, after you read this piece, that you click on the 2 links within the article, written by nycbroncosfan]
One was an excellent study regarding the myth of the late round RB.

mexican_texan
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
2005 and Kerplunk After 2005, things went straight downhill. The 2006 team fell off in almost every important category from the prior year, and to quite a large extent (the only number that did not drop was the 100+ yard rushing performances by individual backs, which remained the same). Starting in 2006, the Broncos Rushing Attack has declined in almost every category each year.
He blamed Cutler before he named Kubiak. Shanny took over, that might have had something to do with it.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
He blamed Cutler before he named Kubiak. Shanny took over, that might have had something to do with it.
Alex Gibbs left Denver in 2004 to head over to Atlanta. coincidence?

mexican_texan
03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
True, but he claims the downfall occurred a year later.

Norg
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
u know we are not 100% the style play of denver just similar

yes we do alot of bootlegs

but we have done like a tringle WR set like pittsburg has done

and our D Linebackers next year will prob inspire to be like Ravens or Eagles linebacks that confuse alot and run fast

anywayz i see what your saying iam sure Kubes knows everything there is to know about the denver system and what 2 do and not do

ObsiWan
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Anyone else see the similarity between Slaton and Clinton Portis and the rest of the Bronco RBs - Terrell Davis was an exception IMO because one could consider him a big back by Bronco standards.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if any back we draft (or sign in F/A) is cut from the same mold.

Chris Brown, if he ever plays, would be the anomaly.

The1ApplePie
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
I think when the Broncos went from being a ZBS system to a bunch of cheap shot artists that actually tried to cripple their opponents every play is when it went down hill. Seeing them go after Igor's bad need on a spike play was a joke.

I think the Broncos Super Bowl years were just as much blind luck (finding TD) and having John Elway leading them. The system never worked as well after those two were gone and really fell off after Portis.

Not sure if the Broncos are better off with McDaniels' spread offense though. They traded a highly-specialized system for another one

Kaiser Toro
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I am absolutely shocked in the writer's findings that very few late round running backs perform to earlier round players statistics, and lo and behold most of the those late round success stories are from Denver.

Shanny never was accused of being cute like a puppy, but that probably was his downfall.

mexican_texan
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't put much stock into those statistics. Most late round players don't amount to much but depth if that, so I can't take those numbers at face value.