PDA

View Full Version : My sports life may be coming to an end

badboy
03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I am a homer when it comes to sports. I have historically watched and rooted for Houston teams at pro and college levels and have been slightly rabid when Oiler or Rockets were playing. I seldom watch other teams unless game had major effect on the Houston team. I was a very vocal fan when Oilers were winning one or two games a season and wanted to scream at Bud Adams moving the team.

I have lost interest in Astros regardless of how many winning seasons. They just do not play inspired ball for half of the season and then come roaring back at end of season to get my hopes up. I don't even follow in paper anymore. The Houston Cougars hold my interest for now but have done nothing for years. I still have a solid interest in Longhorns.

When the Rockets acquired Artest I was very hopeful and was stunned as I watched the team pull out a W against San Antonio and then to lose again to Utah! Well, this may be my last season to watch that team. I am not into soccer or hockey.

Texans. Man I was so pumped when Htown got another chance at NFL. We got a "franchise type" QB in David Carr and each of us have an opinion about that. So many years and really not much to show. As always I am pumped for the draft but this is the year that the team needs to take a big step forward. I will be dissed by some as not being a true fan but I find I have other things I can do on game day regardless of the sport. I guess I want the peaks and the valleys to level out some. So..

This needs to be a really good year for the Texans. Sorry for the rant but guess I just needed to vent to some that might understand.

Dread-Head
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
For a second I thought you were going to announce that you were getting married or something.
:headhurts:

03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
okay, and this has to do with your sports life "coming to an end" how?..

BSofA04
03-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Venting is what these boards are for. I understand how you feel, I think most Texan fans have felt that way one time or another. Just imagine how good it's going to feel when the Texans have their first winning season this year! Stay true my friend, good things are ahead.

Thorn
03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
The only sport I follow is pro football, and the only reason I follow pro football is Houston has a team again. I couldn't care less about the Astros, Rockets, or whoever else is in town, only football will hold my interest over time. I'm sorta in the same boat as badboy, but I will not quit watching the Texans. Even they became so horrible they were worse off than Detroit, I'd still watch them. I'd just be a bit more cranky.

Polo
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Occasionally doing other things on gameday and not getting completely emotionally involved by an event that you don't have any control over is probably a good thing to do.

Just take a break from it man...Don't completely walk away...

imatexan
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay sorry but why would your sports life be coming to an end?

If you dont enjoy watching the sports, then dont.

The ups and downs is just part of being a sports fan, especially a Houston sports fan.

TexanSam
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Every sports team has it's ups and downs. It's the way of sports. If you want every team you root for to be perfect and/or give it they're all you'll probably a sports fan without a team because I doubt any team is like this (even the best ones).

m5kwatts
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Too many babies on this board. Dude, chill. I read a study that said the average sports fan experiences only 1-2 championships in their lifetime. And if you're a dedicated Houston fan since '93, you've already met that quota with the Rockets titles. Look we all want Houston teams to win it every year. And sometimes our hearts have been shattered in disappointment. But holding out for that one moment of glory is all the more worth it. </end cheesey lame disney movie rant>

Wolf
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
For a second I thought you were going to announce that you were getting married or something.

I thought that too LOL
:gun:

Texecutioner
03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Too many babies on this board. Dude, chill. I read a study that said the average sports fan experiences only 1-2 championships in their lifetime. And if you're a dedicated Houston fan since '93, you've already met that quota with the Rockets titles. Look we all want Houston teams to win it every year. And sometimes our hearts have been shattered in disappointment. But holding out for that one moment of glory is all the more worth it. </end cheesey lame disney movie rant>

:goodpost:

badboy
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Most who know me understand it is not about wins and losses but good play. With Texans that has been a roller coaster. I guess it is just a down day and the week before the draft I'll get pumped again. Married? Nope only to a woman who enjoys what I do.

RTP2110
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Just stick with it man. Times are tough now, but it'll all be worth it when your teams start winning. (It will happen)

Walk away now, sure. But if the Texans are playing an AFC championship game at Reliant (sometime)to go to the SuperBowl, tell me you won't give an arm and a leg to be there no matter how long you've been away.

You've probably experienced the Rockets 2 titles, the 1st World Series even in Texas, and you got a UT national championship. It's not all bad. Other fans in other cities are much worse than Houston.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I am a homer when it comes to sports. I have historically watched and rooted for Houston teams at pro and college levels and have been slightly rabid when Oiler or Rockets were playing. I seldom watch other teams unless game had major effect on the Houston team. I was a very vocal fan when Oilers were winning one or two games a season and wanted to scream at Bud Adams moving the team.

I have lost interest in Astros regardless of how many winning seasons. They just do not play inspired ball for half of the season and then come roaring back at end of season to get my hopes up. I don't even follow in paper anymore. The Houston Cougars hold my interest for now but have done nothing for years. I still have a solid interest in Longhorns.

When the Rockets acquired Artest I was very hopeful and was stunned as I watched the team pull out a W against San Antonio and then to lose again to Utah! Well, this may be my last season to watch that team. I am not into soccer or hockey.

Texans. Man I was so pumped when Htown got another chance at NFL. We got a "franchise type" QB in David Carr and each of us have an opinion about that. So many years and really not much to show. As always I am pumped for the draft but this is the year that the team needs to take a big step forward. I will be dissed by some as not being a true fan but I find I have other things I can do on game day regardless of the sport. I guess I want the peaks and the valleys to level out some. So..

This needs to be a really good year for the Texans. Sorry for the rant but guess I just needed to vent to some that might understand.

Haven't you got your insurance settlement for "Badboy" yet??

ObsiWan
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM

HAH!!
I say again, Hah! and double HAH!

You're only experiencing pseudo-frustration.

To experience real frustration you must play golf.

Come see me when you've hit the water or the sand for the fourth hole in a row. ...or you've busted into your 2nd sleeve of balls on the day ...or the third.
Let me know how you feel when you've spend $100s on new clubs or lessons only to suck more after the expenditure than before...
Talk to me when you're with your buds and you're the only one to reach the green on a Par 5 in two only to four-putt.

At least with the Astros/Rockets/Texans you can gripe about someone else.
With golf its just you.:gun:

Wolf
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
HAH!!

Come see me when you've hit the water or the sand for the fourth hole in a row. ...or you've busted into your 2nd sleeve of balls on the day ...or the third.
Let me know how you feel when you've spend $100s on new clubs or lessons only to suck more after the expenditure than before...
Talk to me when you're with your buds and you're the only one to reach the green on a Par 5 in two only to four-putt.

well i have changed "sports "on my end beer drinking sport with still a side of golf
http://www.funsporting.de/Sports/trendsport/Frisbee_Golf/discgolf.jpg

Norg
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
seems like u like watching college football IMO its ok alot of people are like that

anywayz why did u give up on houston teams?????

V3rm0nt3r
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
HAH!!

I feel your pain. and then to have that woman hit that hole in one on her first shot ever... it just brews a certain kind of hate in you that... just echos in every fiber of your body.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Believe-it-or-don-t-Golfer-hits-hole-in-one-on-?urn=golf,148276 (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Believe-it-or-don-t-Golfer-hits-hole-in-one-on-?urn=golf,148276)

WesmanTexanfan
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I am very greatfull to be born in such a great sports town. We diss and wine all the time about houston sports but truth is we could be in Oklahoma, or deleware, or south dakota......or even canada. Sports are a privellige, one that the US is full of and thus waters down the enthusiasm, be happy, find the beauty in games and players(people)..... Challenge yourself to learn new things about your favorite sports daily and itll never get old I dont care how many championships you hav'nt won.

WesmanTexanfan
03-25-2009, 10:28 PM
HAH!!

Great post, I play at herman park weekly. I swing the clubs up at Herman with this guy....
http://www.hiphoprx.com/content/uploads/2008/12/rapper-scarface.jpg

He's got game too, he is up there almost everyday. One of my YMCA kids introduced me to him, he(the kid) shoots sub 70 so of course scarface has played with him....

Norg
03-26-2009, 01:11 AM
yeah we are so lucky to be in a big sports town like houston

san antintao or Austin dont even have NFL teams and austin doesent have nothing really basketball or NFL

we are lucky to have every major sport in town we should be grateful

Baseball
Hockey
Soccer
Football
Basketball

we have it all

JamesC
03-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Football is my favorite sport but the Rockets are my favorite team. I eat, sleep and breathe Houston sports but I'm a fan of the game, both football and basketball. Even if the Texans arent doing so well, I'm always up for watching football....same with the Rockets.

Another way to look at it is, basically every team in sports is gonna end their season in a way thats gonna upset their fans, except one team....whoever wins the title.

badboy
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I am usually an upbeat and very positive person especially with pro sports. I will post info to answer numerous posts. First, do any of you remember the Rockets commercial from a season or two ago that was I believe a Reliant energy commercial? It had this guy watching a Rocket game and going nuts on each play talking to his TV as if the players could hear him. He yells and finally turns off the TV only to turn it back on saying he was sorry and begging for forgiveness. Well that is me. I do get way too wrapped up in Houston sports and I just want to see good effort. Research my posts and you will find Ws are not my main goal and I have been blasted for saying I will take a sloppy win but will be disgusted at the performance. A lot of my makeup was watching the Cowboys as a child as that was my dad's team and I began to follow Oilers when Adams and Hunt among a few others began the AFL. Good times at first but changing when the two merged. Many of you do not remember a bread company in Houson called Rainbow giving away Rocket tickets on the radio and getting no calls for the free tickets. Colt .45s and the old stadium being torn down. Seeing the cowboy on the huge board in the new Hoffeinz dome firing off twin 6shooters and the bull blowing smoke from it's nostrils. Oh, well.

I am just at the point with Texans that for me this could be a make it or break season for me as a fan. I truly don't know what it will take as for as plays offs or whatever. I remember posting before 2008 that we could have a better team & not see 8-8 and that almost happened. Some of you will go down with a sinking ship and sing the fight song as you spit salt water. I did that with the Oilers. No more.

Yes, the Rockets have two Championships but check the date. Not passed the 1st round since. Astros in World Series but off a pretty poor performance by most in their division. Again, it is the season long effort I look at.

badboy
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Haven't you got your insurance settlement for "Badboy" yet??Hey TB, thanks for asking. Yes, I did but it was only insured for about 40% of total value. Insurance just too high for more. I am using some of the $ to get set back up in my townhome apartment when it is re-modeled. 6 months after Ike and the property (owned by Yankee player Alex Rodriguez) has scarcely been touched. The building I lived in and one behind face Clear Lake and remain closed due to flood surge. My damage came through the roof. I saved a lot of stuff but plan on purchasing a new bed. I did buy a 3 person Yamaha personal water craft that I've had out 3-4 times. It does 63 mph but not the 120 that 1 Bad Boy did. When I hear the other guys racing on CLear Lake, it seems as if I am going through withdrawal. That boat never lost a race.

Fortunately, the guy that owns American Offshore and sold me the two I owned from 2000 to 2008, lives 15 minutes from me and has become a friend. We will be racing his 31 foot 140 mph American 1 next month in the bay. The last unofficial race in his boat, we beat a Skater and we dialed in at 134. His official fastest time is 136.

JamesC
03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
First, do any of you remember the Rockets commercial from a season or two ago that was I believe a Reliant energy commercial? It had this guy watching a Rocket game and going nuts on each play talking to his TV as if the players could hear him. He yells and finally turns off the TV only to turn it back on saying he was sorry and begging for forgiveness. Well that is me. I do get way too wrapped up in Houston sports and I just want to see good effort.

Lol, that easily could've been me on that commercial. I yell and scream whenever the Rockets and Texans play. Moments like that where your on the edge of your seat is why I'll always be a Houston sports fan, good and bad.

I did the same thing when UT came back and beat USC in the Rose Bowl.

badboy
03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Lol, that easily could've been me on that commercial. I yell and scream whenever the Rockets and Texans play. Moments like that where your on the edge of your seat is why I'll always be a Houston sports fan, good and bad.

I did the same thing when UT came back and beat USC in the Rose Bowl.That is the only game of any type I ever watched the repeat.

spurstexanstros
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

they try to keep us away from our teams dont they..but they dont realize we have loved our teams longer than we loved them...or even noticed girls.

I bet if our teams were in the playoffs and all the wives in the world disappered at once we may not notice....(okay I am allowed one chauvanist comment a year)

I actually have a shirt that has two married people on it and says game over..my wife bought it for me..I wonder what she was saying.

spurstexanstros
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Actually my then girlfriend (now wife) got into an argument with me during the final game of the Spurs first title and yelled at me "I am leaving and never coming back" just as AJ hit the go ahead shot. She left......and I let her go... do I regret letting her go nope, because I got to see my lifelong team win a title...and as for her...well she came back and we got married.
Lesson....ladies dont pic fights during playoffs....you wont like what choices are made.

badboy
03-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually my then girlfriend (now wife) got into an argument with me during the final game of the Spurs first title and yelled at me "I am leaving and never coming back" just as AJ hit the go ahead shot. She left......and I let her go... do I regret letting her go nope, because I got to see my lifelong team win a title...and as for her...well she came back and we got married.
Lesson....ladies dont pic fights during playoffs....you wont like what choices are made.
Glad it worked for you. I think I would have picked the girl, but then again my record with women is worse than the Texans record. At least they went 500.

threetoedpete
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought that too LOL
:gun:

I thought he was going to tell us he had leukemia or something...lol.

Good rant....hope you feel better. Well the baseball lost me when they let Ryan walk and they went on strike. Basketball or what ever it is they play now....
when Jordan was palming the ball, I understood it. Entertainment and he made a pile of money for the league. Now they're talking about a third step to the hole. I don't know what they are playing now, but it isn't the game that Naismith invented. I don't watch it anymore.

Football is moving in that direction way too. The new Hines Ward rule and the new QB, Tom Brady, rule are making the pro football game like basketball on grass in cleats. Some folks will like it better i guess.

You know what they ought to do to unstrap the defense and give them another weapon is bring back the head slap for the D-lineman. It would install a little integrity back into the game.

ubecool454
03-29-2009, 10:16 AM

LMAO, thats what I thought he was going to say.

ObsiWan
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Good rant....hope you feel better. Well the baseball lost me when they let Ryan walk and they went on strike. Basketball or what ever it is they play now....
when Jordan was palming the ball, I understood it. Entertainment and he made a pile of money for the league. Now they're talking about a third step to the hole. I don't know what they are playing now, but it isn't the game that Naismith invented. I don't watch it anymore.

I am so with you on this it ain't funny. And I'll add to that this "annointing" of wannabes like LeBron and Kobe as the heirs to the Jordan throne totally blows chunks. All the hype they've gotten before they've done anything close to what Jordan did is just stupid.

...back to football.

badboy
03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
I feel like a junkie knowing my next fix (draft) is several days away. I have poster board with our offensive roster and another for defense and then several pages of various mocks that I respect. Of course I have my own boards with who I want if we don't trade #15 and another or two if we do make a trade. I have my lunch made ahead of time and I do not want any visitors. I turn off the cell. Then I spend half the night thinking how the Texans selections will perform and how the picks will effect day 2. Man, I need a life.

SuperDan
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Excellent post.

To further reinforce... has anyone here seen the pre-game video they play at the Rockets games the past couple of seasons? It's basically a history of the Rockets. Goes through all of the highlights of the 80's, lots of emphasis on the championship years and chronicles the acquisition of Yao, Tracy, et al.

Watching that video will remind you of the singular reason we are sports fans... a moment of escape from the real life. Sure, we've had some rough seasons with the Rockets, but if you can't watch that video and feel proud to be a lifelong fan and not get a little pumped up in the process, you're not living.

We don't have that history with the Texans yet, but we're still a relatively new franchise. We've had some moments with the Texans and I suspect the amount will snowball in the next couple of years. Remember, for example, 19-10, the first time we beat the Colts and our first win on national tv against the Broncos. Remember how proud and excited you were to be Texans fans?

I'm confident this regime has us going in the right direction.

mussop
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I feel like a junkie knowing my next fix (draft) is several days away. I have poster board with our offensive roster and another for defense and then several pages of various mocks that I respect. Of course I have my own boards with who I want if we don't trade #15 and another or two if we do make a trade. I have my lunch made ahead of time and I do not want any visitors. I turn off the cell. Then I spend half the night thinking how the Texans selections will perform and how the picks will effect day 2. Man, I need a life.

Aint it great? :whip::specnatz::smiliedance::splits::fans: Just be gald you arent a NBA draft junkie too. Youre not right???

badboy
04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Excellent post.

To further reinforce... has anyone here seen the pre-game video they play at the Rockets games the past couple of seasons? It's basically a history of the Rockets. Goes through all of the highlights of the 80's, lots of emphasis on the championship years and chronicles the acquisition of Yao, Tracy, et al.

Watching that video will remind you of the singular reason we are sports fans... a moment of escape from the real life. Sure, we've had some rough seasons with the Rockets, but if you can't watch that video and feel proud to be a lifelong fan and not get a little pumped up in the process, you're not living.

We don't have that history with the Texans yet, but we're still a relatively new franchise. We've had some moments with the Texans and I suspect the amount will snowball in the next couple of years. Remember, for example, 19-10, the first time we beat the Colts and our first win on national tv against the Broncos. Remember how proud and excited you were to be Texans fans?

I'm confident this regime has us going in the right direction.I tend to no longer reminence about the 80s unless it's the music. It is sorta like saying man, my sex life was good in the eighties but at least I can spend $ on a date now even if I don't get a kiss.:gun:

badboy
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Aint it great? :whip::specnatz::smiliedance::splits::fans: Just be gald you arent a NBA draft junkie too. Youre not right???Used to be. Remember giving like three #1s for a kid afew years ago that went psycho and we traded him? He ended up pulling a gun on his girlfriend. Eddie Griffin, I think. Oh, by the way, Rockets don't have a first round pick for couple years, but man Morey can do well with a 2. Sigh.