PDA

View Full Version : Titans to wear Oiler's jerseys this year

Errant Hothy
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
:bat:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6339102.html

If you want to see an Oilers uniform for the first time since 1996, when they played their last game in the Astrodome, you’ll have three chances.

The first will be on Aug. 9, when NBC televises the Hall of Fame Game between the Titans and Buffalo Bills. The Titans will wear the Oilers’ 1960 blue and white jersey that has red accents. They’ll wear blue helmets with the oil derrick logo.

Since I found out last season that the Titans were going to wear the throwback uniforms, I’ve asked a lot of former Oilers players and coaches what they think about it. Just about all of them have told me they like the idea.

It’s going to be strange, but before you start blasting Adams, he had nothing to do with it. This is an NFL-mandated commemoration of a monumental time during the history of pro football.

DBCooper
03-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! !!!!!

rdroppa
03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Just read that the Titans will wear Oiler throwback jerseys 3 times next season because of the AFL's 50th. Ok I understand the history here but weren't they the HOUSTON Oilers. I don't recall any team named the Tennessee Oilers!!!!! BS :kingkong::kingkong:

WWJD
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Just read that the Titans will wear Oiler throwback jerseys 3 times next season because of the AFL's 50th. Ok I understand the history here but weren't they the HOUSTON Oilers. I don't recall any team named the Tennessee Oilers!!!!! BS :kingkong::kingkong:

I think they were called the Tennessee Oilers for a year or whatever before they changed the name to Titans.

Polo
03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Great.

VY can feel like he's a Madison again.

GP
03-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Throwbacks should only be allowed for teams who have remained in their same location since their inception: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, etc. Once you move a franchise and establish its new identity (new logo, new name, etc.) you should lose the NFL's blessing(s) on wearing those "throwback" jerseys.

I know that Bud Adams owned the entity known as the Oilers, but still...

This is a huge swipe at us, IMO. I know that it's only imagery and gimmickry, but it still smacks of Bud Adams' juvenile behavior toward Houston.

He didn't leave town on good terms, and now he gets to wear the HOUSTON Oilers jerseys for Tennessee Titans games? Okie dokie.

And who cares that it's the AFL's 50th anniversary. It's odd to celebrate an organization that has been inactive and defunct for decades upon decades.

This is the sort of thing that the league sits around and spends their time on, when there are more important issues on the table. Only in America.

gwallaia
03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Its all about ONE thing.

MONEY

Selling more jerseys.

50th Anniversary of the AFL. Hell, the NFL would commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the invention of toenail clippers if they thought they could profit from it.

Blazing Arrow
03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Yup and they got a sale here. :splits:

HOU-TEX
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Honestly, who really cares anymore? Not I

Wolf
03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
maybe the Titan fans will finally get the message that the Houston Oilers runs through Bud and the Titans veins.

Some of those fans only want to recognize the good(Oiler players) and not the bad.(being in Houston)

I will have mixed feelings because seeing those jerseys will bring back a flood of memories, but in 2002 the Oilers/Titans became virtually dead to me.

Wolf
03-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see them wear them against us on battle red day :specnatz:

And then they be up by a certain score and we come back on them,just to have to Titan fans get a taste of it :smiliedance:

Blazing Arrow
03-25-2009, 10:42 AM

And then they be up by a certain score and we come back on them,just to have to Titan fans get a taste of it :smiliedance:

The Oilers had that happen against them vs. good teams. Your comment makes no sense.

Wolf
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Our time will come, we will be good :pirate:

powerfuldragon
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
i blame john mcclain.

BigBull17
03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Great.

He rode the bench at Madison?

Polo
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
He road the bench at Madison?

No but he was immture and sported an oil derrick!

2 outta 3 ain't bad.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Nor me... Wear that "powder blue" all they want. It's purdy.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
No but he was immture and sported an oil derrick!

2 outta 3 ain't bad.

He didn't sport an oil derrick at Madison. They were the fish errrrrrrrrrrrr Marlins.

Only fitting since he got the hook.

Brando
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
So, Are the KC Chiefs going to play in the Dallas Texans uniforms? They were the Dallas Texans in 1960? They should, especially if the Tennesse Titans can play in the Houston Oilers uniforms. If not I think it would be pretty stupid and pointless.

Polo
03-25-2009, 12:20 PM
He didn't sport an oil derrick at Madison. They were the fish errrrrrrrrrrrr Marlins.

Only fitting since he got the hook.

Thats right...I forgot it was just Uni that resembled them...

Texan_Bill
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
So, Are the KC Chiefs going to play in the Dallas Texans uniforms? They were the Dallas Texans in 1960? They should, especially if the Tennesse Titans can play in the Houston Oilers uniforms. If not I think it would be pretty stupid and pointless.
How about the Tennessee Titans (in Oilers unis) playing the New York Jets (in the old New York Titans unis)?

Easy for me to remember. Madison and Westbury were in the same district, so we played them every year.

Errant Hothy
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes, the Chiefs will suit up in the old Dalls Texans unis.

Wolf
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Too bad the cowboys or Bengals weren't in AFL

this would be them coming out of the tunnel :whip::splits:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2464524486_73651e8b4d.jpg

Wolf
03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Against the Cowboys

[Kansas City.com] The NFL on Monday granted the Chiefs and Cowboys permission to wear their original uniforms and helmets from their inaugural seasons of 1960 when they meet this season at Arrowhead Stadium.

“Personally, that’s something I’m excited about,” Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said. “Even though the Cowboys weren’t part of the AFL, their history is linked with that of the AFL and the Chiefs.”

The Chiefs will wear the same throwback uniforms and helmets for two other games this season. Both will come against a rival from the AFC West. One will be at Arrowhead, the other on the road.

http://www.chiefswarpath.com/news/2009/03/24/chiefs-to-wear-uniforms-from-1960-against-dallas/

the helmet of texas with a spot where Dallas is
I am still looking for the full uniform
http://store.bowlbound.com/ntr-dt60.html

DoCRoN
03-25-2009, 12:43 PM
So, Are the KC Chiefs going to play in the Dallas Texans uniforms?

Actually, they are!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/03/24/chiefs_to_unveil_throwback_afl_uniforms_in_2009/

Brando
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Actually, they are!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/03/24/chiefs_to_unveil_throwback_afl_uniforms_in_2009/

Cool, okay it's not so bad.

Silver Oak
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM

there's a tiny place in my heart for the Oiler teams of our city, but quite frankly, I don't really care what they do with THEIR uniforms.

I have my team, and it ain't got anything to do with Tennessee or the Titans.

:texflag:

Speedy
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Exactly!! Our team is the HOUSTON TEXANS. I couldn't give a pink rat's ass what that possum on the head wearing skank of an owner does with his little football team....other than lose. Maybe they'll treat us all to some old Oiler choke jobs.

HOU-TEX
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
there's a tiny place in my heart for the Oiler teams of our city, but quite frankly, I don't really care what they do with THEIR uniforms.

I have my team, and it ain't got anything to do with Tennessee or the Titans.

:texflag:

Exactly!! Our team is the HOUSTON TEXANS. I couldn't give a pink rat's ass what that possum on the head wearing skank of an owner does with his little football team....other than lose. Maybe they'll treat us all to some old Oiler choke jobs.

I care deeply for the history of the Oilers while in Houston, but after 96, pffft!

In the end, we all know where the oil derrick came from.

spurstexanstros
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
NFL- For the last time there is no oil in Tennesee...or people who bathe regularly. There is only moonshine and inbred children of uranus.

Titan fan's kid " Hey dad, what is dat dere on the side of the fat man running with the ball's helmet'

Titan fan " That gives us the stuff that Mommy and Daddy use on our mullets"

"and the Oilers moved to Tennesee where ther was no Oil" (from the movie Baseketball)

SheTexan
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Not to worried. The only time I watch the Titans is when they play the Texans anyway, and if that old bastard wants to shove the old uni in my face, then so be it!! I won't deny that it will hurt seeing that POS team wear the derrick, but, I'll just look at this :logo: and remind myself how lucky I am that the REAL oil derrick was laid to rest in 1996. I will not be surprised if they choose a Texan game to strut their stuff though.

Blazing Arrow
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
NFL- For the last time there is no oil in Tennesee...or people who bathe regularly. There is only moonshine and inbred children of uranus.

Titan fan's kid " Hey dad, what is dat dere on the side of the fat man running with the ball's helmet'

Titan fan " That gives us the stuff that Mommy and Daddy use on our mullets"

"and the Oilers moved to Tennesee where ther was no Oil" (from the movie Baseketball)

Again your information is way off. How about you wise up before you bang on the keys?

http://www.tengasco.com/

And you reference a movie as a source ... wow.

Blazing Arrow
03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Too bad the cowboys or Bengals weren't in AFC

this would be them coming out of the tunnel :whip::splits:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2464524486_73651e8b4d.jpg

The Bengals are not in the AFC? :spit:

Double Barrel
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Its all about ONE thing.

MONEY

Selling more jerseys.

50th Anniversary of the AFL. Hell, the NFL would commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the invention of toenail clippers if they thought they could profit from it.

Bingo. This is nothing but a ploy to get the hard earned cash out of the pockets of fans and into the coffers of the NFL.

Seeing a Kansas team sport a Texas shaped logo? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :spit:

mexican_texan
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Here's a chance for some of you to get closure, if you didn't get it from Bruce Matthew's retirement.

Thorn
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Time to get over the Oilers folks, they are not either an existing team nor does thier history belong to us anymore. I don't like that any more than the rest of you guys do, but facts are facts.

The only thing now is to beat the Tits twice a year and be done with them.

Wolf
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM

dang AFL, I had AFC on the mind I guess :thud:

Brando
03-25-2009, 02:54 PM

They were not in 1960. duh!

toronto
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Forgive me, but I guess this current Titan fan and old Oiler fan is stoked to see the old jerseys again. I still wear Oiler jerseys to games, whether in Nashville or a road game....

El Tejano
03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Maybe they can wear that Oilers jersey, go up 35-3 and then lose to us. That would be nice.

Silver Oak
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Forgive me, but I guess this current Titan fan and old Oiler fan is stoked to see the old jerseys again. I still wear Oiler jerseys to games, whether in Nashville or a road game....

come to the titans game here next season. I'm positive you'll be greeted warmly. :shades:

toronto
03-25-2009, 03:31 PM
come to the titans game here next season. I'm positive you'll be greeted warmly. :shades:

In my Moon or Campbell jersey? I betcha I will! :heart:

Thorn
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Wearing a Campbell jersey to a texans game will probably score you a few free beers. LOL

False Start
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Meh.... it used to bother me but not anymore. Any Titan fan that was not an Oiler fan, that lays claim to Oilers history is lame. :sleep:

Hervoyel
03-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Best idea I've seen yet. I'd give anything to see the Texans playing in the red jerseys against the Titans pretending to be Oilers. That's a game I'd dearly love to see.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Here's a chance for some of you to get closure, if you didn't get it from Bruce Matthew's retirement.

I'll get closure whenever possum head is not roaming this earth.

Hervoyel
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM

I think the confusion stems from the fact that this "event" is kind of wrapped around the original 8 AFL teams (the "Foolish" club) and the Bengals were not one of them.

They didn't show up until 1968.

Though I have to admit I always liked the old Bengals helmets with the name written across the side in an arch. They're just so "lame" that they work for some reason.

Blazing Arrow
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I think the confusion stems from the fact that this "event" is kind of wrapped around the original 8 AFL teams (the "Foolish" club) and the Bengals were not one of them.

They didn't show up until 1968.

Though I have to admit I always liked the old Bengals helmets with the name written across the side in an arch. They're just so "lame" that they work for some reason.

I was just giving him shit. It was an easy slam so I took it. If it makes you feel better I pos repped him at the same time.

Hervoyel
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I was just giving him shit. It was an easy slam so I took it. If it makes you feel better I pos repped him at the same time.

And I wasn't knocking you for it or feeling down about it. Just pointing out why he might have said Cincinnati wasn't in the AFL. I didn't even notice that he said AFC until just now which should adequately demonstrate just how much attention I was paying to the entire thing.

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM

That was the "new (2nd) Dallas Texans"....

Imagine how much fun it would be to see the number of throw backs for the "old (original) Dallas Texans" as relates to the eventual Indianapolis Colts!:

In 1950, the New York Bulldogs changed their name to the New York Yanks.
The Baltimore Colts folded after the 1950 season. In 1952 the New York Yankees folded and would become the Dallas Texans for the 1952 season.
The Texans fold at midseason and play out the rest of their season as a road team. In 1953, the Dallas Texans move to Baltimore and change their name to the Baltimore Colts, who in 1984 moved to Indianapolis.

The1ApplePie
03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I grew up in a family of Dallas Cowboys fans, so I could care less about the Greasers

My only memories of them are the joke of a franchise that choked away that game to the Bills and then left town a few years later.

At least Childress and Campbell were good

Silver Oak
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Moon era Oilers were my least favorite era. Run-n-Shoot sucked balls. Moon was overrated IMO.

Lucky
03-25-2009, 09:57 PM
i blame john mcclain.
McClain can be such a whiny...
Well, there’s a lot of us out there who’ll never forget the Oilers as long as we’re on this side of the grass, so deal with it. I haven't forgotten the Oilers, McChin. That doesn't mean I should be happy to see these thieves sport Columbia Blue.

Why 'o why didn't Da General get canned at the Chronic?

SheTexan
03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Best idea I've seen yet. I'd give anything to see the Texans playing in the red jerseys against the Titans pretending to be Oilers. That's a game I'd dearly love to see.

Not me!! Let them strut the old Oiler uni's any place other than Houston!! The old Oilers gave me 36 yrs of memories, both good and bad, and when they departed Houston they ceased to exist, for me. The TITANS are NOT the Oilers, and to pretend they are by wearing the Derrick just makes the entire idea nothing but a money making sham, and a ploy by that bastard that owns them to shove a little nostalgia down the throats of old diehard Oiler fans. It's a STU*ID idea by the NFL and I hope it backfires. If they intend to show up in Houston insulting us all by wearing the old Oiler uni, I WILL boycott that game!

mussop
03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
I grew up in a family of Dallas Cowboys fans, so I could care less about the Greasers

My only memories of them are the joke of a franchise that choked away that game to the Bills and then left town a few years later.

So that is what s wrong with you! :thinking:It all makes since now. :shades:

Imatexanfan
03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Great.

yea IF he plays lol

Double Barrel
03-27-2009, 04:35 PM
It looks like the Tits will be wearing the Oilers unis that I never saw them play in. Way before my time. That's alright. I'm caring less every day.

Second Honeymoon
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
It looks like the Tits will be wearing the Oilers unis that I never saw them play in. Way before my time. That's alright. I'm caring less every day.

before your time? avatar says your 42. it's not like the Oilers were back in the day of the horse and carriage. :wink:

i wouldn't mind the Oilers uniform but I don't see how it has any merit wearing them as the Tennessee Titans. They only played like one year with that jersey in Tennessee. It basically feels like a cheap shot by Bud that doesn't do his fanbase any good. I may give Bud a pass this year because the wearing of the jerseys is tied to the Oilers being a founding AFL team.

This year he gets a pass but there should be a moratorium on the Oilers jersey after this year. We even have to see the Oilers jersey on Hall Of Fame Sunday. After a long offseason, I really look forward to seeing people put the pads on, but this year its gonna be a bitter piler.

Double Barrel
03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
before your time? avatar says your 42. it's not like the Oilers were back in the day of the horse and carriage. :wink:

My earliest memory of the Oilers was when #34 was exploding this town with football fever. Those were white helmets with the derrick.

I never saw them play with these helmets, which appear to be the ones that they are going to use:

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/nat-414-2.gif

i wouldn't mind the Oilers uniform but I don't see how it has any merit wearing them as the Tennessee Titans. They only played like one year with that jersey in Tennessee. It basically feels like a cheap shot by Bud that doesn't do his fanbase any good. I may give Bud a pass this year because the wearing of the jerseys is tied to the Oilers being a founding AFL team.

This year he gets a pass but there should be a moratorium on the Oilers jersey after this year. We even have to see the Oilers jersey on Hall Of Fame Sunday. After a long offseason, I really look forward to seeing people put the pads on, but this year its gonna be a bitter piler.

While I would agree with you, I've reached a stage of apathy. The NFL gives a rat's ass about Houston football fans and our memories. The Hall of Fame shows the Oilers history as the history of the ICOU franchise now.

I think they need to do it. Make it to where we no longer give a rat's ass about anything to do with Slug's franchise. We will always have our memories, and we will always honor and respect those players, the rest of it can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I'm a Houston Texans fan now, so all that baggage is nothing but dead weight to me these days. I have little regard for nostalgia when it comes to Slug Adams and his lies, deceits, and freaking' money games. It's just a bad taste that I no longer wish to dwell upon.

spurstexanstros
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Again your information is way off. How about you wise up before you bang on the keys?

http://www.tengasco.com/

And you reference a movie as a source ... wow.

Its called a joke Flaming Bipolar Bullock Sparrow( I sitll think they are same guy or whoever he is)...my source...sheesh I was quoting a movie because I liked it. I was not using it as an academic source. would you have liked me to use MLA or APA when I make a joke.
Oil is called Texas tea..and I know that company was founded to see if the song from Beverly hillbillies was true..but ..cmon dude Oilers in Tennesee? Texas is known for oil, while Tennesee is known for...well...what is it known for ?
Rednecks and Al Gore?

The fact that DUD is going to trot out those unis is a reminder that yall stole our team and that yall are new comers to that franchise. A fact which tac fan likes to deny. That team had a history before moving to the land that time forgot, and that history was founded on the fuel that was first discovered( or harnessed) here in Texas.

My only hope is that our new and glorious team with its Battle Red pounds the living crap out of your choking fraud of a team in the columia blue. A color that once draped the back of the best running back to ever wear a uni and a man who has proudly rejected your team, Earl Campbell...you may have heard of him, from those highlights of your franchise.. from long ago. They were played in another city...Houston..home of the Oilers..and now the Texans.. Just because you have one company that explores for oil does not make it legitimate to call them the Oilers.What is next? Are you going to try to convince me that there are more TEXANS in Tennesee than in Texas? So if a team there calls themselves that it is legit.
Texas is where they came up with that term as well as the oil derrick that dons the Oilers unis.
Titans suck..... would you like my source on that...
www.titanfankissmya&&*.com

Bulluck53
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
You think I am BA? Really?

SheTexan
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I feel blessed. I attended the very first Oiler game in Sept 1960 at the old Jeppsen stadium at UH. I was 14 y/o. I also attended the very first Texan game, in Aug of 2002 in Canton, Ohio. I'll be very honest. I do not remember how much the ticket cost, nor do I remember how much a coke or bag of popcorn cost. All I know is they were very cheap compared to what I had to pay in Canton. I've spent almost 50 years loving and supporting my Houston football teams, and the pain of losing the Oilers still takes it's toll on me, regardless of how hard I try to forget. 36 yrs of devotion is just not something I am able to toss aside. Seeing the Columbia blue with the oil derrick on a Titan player is just not acceptable to me at all. In fact, just the thought makes me a little sick. I just hope they don't wear it in Houston. I really don't know if I could make myself attend that game or not. It would be such a mockery, and a slam to old diehard Oiler fans who did not kiss up to that bastard who robbed us of our team. I just don't know if I can do it. BUT, I'm a TEXAN FAN now, and I keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have a football team to root for in my hometown.

TimeKiller
03-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Let them have all that bad karma.

mexican_texan
03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
You can just ignore him like a lot of us do.

Blazing Arrow
03-28-2009, 05:17 PM

He is mentally challenged don't really take it as more then that.

Bulluck53
03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
You can just ignore him like a lot of us do.

:lol:

Found this on TC...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/09%20Blogs/AFLjerseys_090324.jpg

mexican_texan
03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't think any of us have a problem with Jeff Fisher. He's one of very, very few Titans we like.

PapaL
03-28-2009, 07:00 PM
IMO - This whole thing comes back to the City of Houston. When Art Modell moved the Browns to Clevland the City of Cleveland sued to keep IT'S history and IT'S memories.
For whatever reason that did not happen w/the Oilers and Bud Adams.
Sad thing. Very sad thing in my opinion.

Bulluck53
03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't think any of us have a problem with Jeff Fisher. He's one of very, very few Titans we like.

What do you mean? I was just showing a picture of the unis we (and each team) will be wearing this year.

SheTexan
03-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Speak for yourself please. I've NEVER been a huge Jeff Fisher fan. He sucked up to the old bastard, nuff said.

mexican_texan
03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
What do you mean? I was just showing a picture of the unis we (and each team) will be wearing this year.
I look forward to seeing those Texans uniforms.

BattleRedRaider
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Not that it's going to happen, but I WISH Tennessee could come into Reliant Stadium wearing throwback Oilers jerseys.

That way, when the Titans are up 35-3 in the 3rd quarter....:chickendance:

GP
03-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I look forward to seeing those Texans uniforms.

Like I've said before, if the team is still in its original city, using one of its once-used logos...it's fine by me.

But seeing Jeff Fisher grinning from ear-to-ear, holding that OILERS jersey and seeing the old Oilers helmet in front of him...made me more angry than hearing the news that this was going to be done.

The reactions on here are varied: "Cool," or "I don't care," or "That sucks."

Count me as being in the crowd that says the inclusion of the Oilers, even if for the reason of celebrating the AFL, just plain sucks. I mean, seriously...the only ones who even CARE about seeing the old Oilers stuff is the fans of the old Oilers, not the new super-duper Titans in Tennessee. Yet all this is doing, IMO, is offending the fans of the Oilers.

Thank you, NFL, for reminding us that our team left us.

Here's to hoping that they DO wear them at least one time against us, and hopefully in Reliant. I have no doubt that we would win that game. There would be some serious motivation to show the fans in Houston what Houston football is all about.

junior
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM

you know what else resemble them, VY losing in the playoffs , so Oiler like.

mexican_texan
03-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Like I've said before, if the team is still in its original city, using one of its once-used logos...it's fine by me.

But seeing Jeff Fisher grinning from ear-to-ear, holding that OILERS jersey and seeing the old Oilers helmet in front of him...made me more angry than hearing the news that this was going to be done.

The reactions on here are varied: "Cool," or "I don't care," or "That sucks."

Count me as being in the crowd that says the inclusion of the Oilers, even if for the reason of celebrating the AFL, just plain sucks. I mean, seriously...the only ones who even CARE about seeing the old Oilers stuff is the fans of the old Oilers, not the new super-duper Titans in Tennessee. Yet all this is doing, IMO, is offending the fans of the Oilers.

Thank you, NFL, for reminding us that our team left us.

Here's to hoping that they DO wear them at least one time against us, and hopefully in Reliant. I have no doubt that we would win that game. There would be some serious motivation to show the fans in Houston what Houston football is all about.
So am I correct in assuming you don't think the Kansas City Chiefs' fans won't be bothered by the Texans? Even worse, to be associated with Dallas?

GP
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
So am I correct in assuming you don't think the Kansas City Chiefs' fans won't be bothered by the Texans? Even worse, to be associated with Dallas?

Did the owner move his team to Houston?

We became the Texans because the name was vacated, not because the owner moved from one town to another and set up shop in Houston.

My feelings are based solely on the situation of an owner throwing a temper tantrum, packing up his team, leaving an entire fan base holding the bag, only to set up shop and re-use the team's name and likeness. In Tennessee.

The Seattle Supersonics had to leave their name in Seattle. That's how it should work. If OKC started playing some games in Sonics jerseys...I'd think the Sonics fans would be a little ticked off, as am I right now.

"But it's only a one-time deal, celebrating the AFL anniversary."

Oh, so we'll be reminded again when the defunct AFL has another anniversary to celebrate? Neat!

Wolf
03-30-2009, 08:49 AM
In Jeff's defense he was coach of the Oilers in Houston.

my theory if why bud used the 10 year logo... well ...for the lucky ones up in possum holler that have 10 fingers, that is about as high as it goes, bud will start over again with a one year logo again after this season :smiliedance:

Vinny
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm happy to see the Oilers not forgotten by the NFL...so I'm not as bent as many of you guys over this. I hate that the Oilers are never talked about and all but forgotten around the league, so this will bring them up in conversations with the fans of the league at least a little bit... that said, it's a shame we lost the legacy. Thanks Bob Lanier.

DBCooper
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm happy to see the Oilers not forgotten by the NFL...so I'm not as bent as many of you guys over this. I hate that the Oilers are never talked about and all but forgotten around the league, so this will bring them up in conversations with the fans of the league at least a little bit... that said, it's a shame we lost the legacy. Thanks Bob Lanier.

The problem is a team I loved so much, having thier uniforms worn by a team that I hate so much.

And all the reminders of where my team went.

I think a Super Bowl win by the Texans can calm my pain.

CloakNNNdagger
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I haven't been able to get around to posting this in a timely fashion.............because I've spent the last couple hours over the tub. Dang, where's my toothbrush?

Just released official commemorative Titans(/Oilers) logo.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/files/image/article/full_67233.jpg

Brando
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I haven't been able to get around to posting this in a timely fashion.............because I've spent the last couple hours over the tub. Dang, where's my toothbrush?

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/texanbrando/nfl_titans_logo_300copy-1.gif

Sorry CND, I fixed your post. :)

Hookem Horns
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
The Titans have eliminated their official board and made over their website. Here is the leading banner.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2027/titanss.jpg

SheTexan
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Kevin!!! PLEASE tell me that is a very poor April fools joke!!!!!!! A freaking insult to Earl to associate him with anything that has to do with that franchise after 1999!

Texan_Bill
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

To add to CnD's logo post:

Titans anniversary logo and a story debunking AFL mythology

April 1, 2009 5:58 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

For the second year in a row, the Titans have a commemorative logo. Last season it marked the team's 10th season in Tennessee. This year's signifies the 50th anniversary of the franchise, a founding member of the AFL.

"It seems like yesterday that Lamar Hunt and I were getting together to talk about forming a new league," Titans owner K.S. "Bud" Adams, Jr. said in a release issued by the Titans. "The past 49 seasons have brought the fans and me great joy and at times great pain, but it has been a dream come true and a lot of hard work to own a team. It is hard to imagine how far pro football has come since 1960, and I am thrilled that we are able to celebrate the team's roots this season in several different ways. We wanted to incorporate both franchise logos into our 50-year logo and I am really pleased with the results. This year is also special because it marks the 50th anniversary of our first championship."

Link: Titans anniversary logo and a story debunking AFL mythology (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-7/Titans-anniversary-logo-and-a-story-debunking-AFL-mythology.html)

Double Barrel
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Well, there you go. The final nail in the coffin. I love the memories and cherish the players, but I am completely ambivalent about that franchise now (except hating them as a division rival and hating the owner).

And to be honest, I'm glad we don't have the records in Houston. That would mean our current new team would have the baggage of Slug Adams around it's neck for it's entire existence. So we would've gotten the numbers on paper, but we'd also have to acknowledge Slug as part of the historical celebration.

We are free from that crap now, and down the road, as us old Oilers fans pass on to the great stadium in the sky, our children and grandchildren will not have to be subjected to learning about Slug when learning about the Houston Texans (other than the fact that it was His Royal Slimeballness' greed that started the events that eventually led to the creation of our current team).

Bye bye Slug. You just rubbed dog crap all over any dignity that the Oilers emblem had left in it, and now it all stinks like sh*t.

(even funnier is that ICOU fans have to 'celebrate' a team that they never experienced and constantly be reminded that they weren't qualified to be seen by the NFL to get their own expansion franchise, so they ended up whoring themselves out to Slug and stealing another town's team. Way to go, chumps. Celebrate your douchiness!)

jlam
04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/09%20Blogs/AFLjerseys_090324.jpg

Ok, the only one I can't recognize is the 2nd one from the left. Which team is that? I think I've got the rest (Chargers, ???, Chiefs, Raiders, Titans, Bills, Jets, Patriots)

I have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing the big gay bent-over Patriot guy making his return to glory. This would be topped only by the revival of the flaming creamsicle pirate from Tampa.

jlam
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Hmm, nevermind. Apparently that's the Denver Broncos' old threads from way back when since they're the only other original AFL team I didn't cover according to Wiki. The brown threw me way off.

Grams
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Denver

Silver Oak
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
The Titans have eliminated their official board and made over their website. Here is the leading banner.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2027/titanss.jpg

gonna be somewhat embarrasing to Dud when they have a celebration for his 50 yrs, and Earl doesn't show up.

Brando
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t89/backwithblack/vandenbosch_uniform_275.jpg

Looks like he is fixing to go trick or treating. It's only a costume.

Goldensilence
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm quite frankly at a loss for words right now.

Son of a *****.

I sincerely hope any old Oiler possible does not show up for anything related to this flaming piece of crap Bud wants to pass as history.

Thorn
04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Billy Cannon and Earl Campbell were Oilers. They were NOT Titans.

Period.

GuerillaBlack
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Hasn't Earl already said he has nothing to do with the Titans? I hope he does not show up to any celebration that they have.

Double Barrel
04-14-2009, 06:41 PM
While I've let it go, it's just a disgrace to see that. Let them revel in history they never experienced or remember. It fits the theme of lacking integrity that is their slimeball owner.

SheTexan
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Right now I'm upset, so I might be a little premature in making this statement. I'll see how things go after the season starts. BUT, if Tenn wears the old Oiler uni's at our MNF game, I just MIGHT be selling my tickets! What a F-N insult to old diehard Oiler fans!!! I'm just not sure I want to be a part of watching that A-H shove his arrogance down our throats!!! He can kiss my ass and like it before I'll participate in something so humiliating!! I've gotta get over being so PISSED OFF!!

Thorn
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Right now I'm upset, so I might be a little premature in making this statement. I'll see how things go after the season starts. BUT, if Tenn wears the old Oiler uni's at our MNF game, I just MIGHT be selling my tickets! What a F-N insult to old diehard Oiler fans!!! I'm just not sure I want to be a part of watching that A-H shove his arrogance down our throats!!! He can kiss my ass and like it before I'll participate in something so humiliating!! I've gotta get over being so PISSED OFF!!

The throwback uniforms are only being worn in games where both the opponets are both old time AFL teams. So they won't wear them against us.

Bulluck53
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I didn't know that. I was a little anxious to find out who we would wear them against, myself.

SheTexan
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
The throwback uniforms are only being worn in games where both the opponets are both old time AFL teams. So they won't wear them against us.

I didn't know that Thorn! THANKS! Makes me feel a tad bit better!

spurstexanstros
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM

How much you wanna bet Bud ignores it and brings oilers unis any way.

Thorn
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
I didn't know that. I was a little anxious to find out who we would wear them against, myself.

I don't really care for yall wearing them, but it's not the end of my football life when yall do. Bud owns the team and the history, and that's that. I just don't care for some of the great Oilers of the past being thought of in context with a Titan history.

I'll get over it. Yall still got a great coach with Oiler history, and there is no way in this universe or any other I'll ever hate another football team as much as I do the cowpies. Ever.

Bulluck53
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Eh, I don't delve into the history talk too much. I was just hoping that Bud would not elect to wear those uniforms against Houston as it would be solely in bad taste. No other explanation for it.